Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #1  

Default Coffee Enemas and other detox 'cleanses'

What about Coffee enemas? As gross as it sounds it is supposed to detox the body and improve liver functions as well as aiding in several ailments (sinus congestion, chronic pain, indigestion etc,). I have tried this a couple of times thus far but really too soon to tell if it is much of a diet aid. Has anyone else tried this and had any benefit? Supposedly, Jack Osbourne did this as well when he was losing weight.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

I watched the Jack Osbourne show on Travel Channel and think he's done an OUTSTANDING job in turning his life around...

...however, IMO the coffee enemas he did while in Thailand had NOTHING to do with his success. I remember he said that by the end of the week that he was doing that, he 'lost a stone' in weight - but keep in mind he was also fasting, as I recall...which meant he ended up losing a lot of water and lean tissue that week, more than likely.

Keep in mind that the couple he was training with aren't (as far as I know) certified personal trainers. They're climbers - that doesn't mean they know about things that a qualified PT would...KWIM?

You might want to check out this earlier thread: What do we know about colon cleanse??
Old 01-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

OMG, What will they think of next, I have never heard of that!!
Old 01-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/247/130

I will never look at my coffee the same again!
Old 01-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #5  
The Me I Wanna Be !

S/C/G: 212/200/180

Height: 5'2

i am so glad i dont drink coffee right now...
Old 01-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #6  
Mel

I'd want decaf for sure
Old 01-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Sorry, I don't mean any disrespect but what a waste of coffee!

Seriously, anything you put up there and wait for to come out, brings water and electrolytes with it. It's a good way to become dehydrated and quite ill.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #8  

As a teacher, I have a special relationship with coffee.... or at least I did! lol
Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #9  

lol a relationship more special than "pooping" a mocha latte..
Old 01-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #10  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

lol gross *puts coffee cup aside*

by the time food reaches your colon (which is as far as enemas go I believe) most of the calories have already been extracted---the colon really absorbs water and a few vitamins here and there. And I agree with above, if anything, coffee enemas may make you lose weight by dehydrating you, which is probably not a good thing.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/202.2/155

Height: 5'6.5

Smile ******** and other cleanses

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for feedback from people who have tried ******** or any other cleanse. What would be helpful would be to hear from people who've tried a product which is currently on the market (not a cleanse that was tried 20 years ago that they don't make anymore).
Also, I realize that we all have opinions about what works and what doesn't and that's great!, but what I need right now is to hear feedback from people who've actually tried this, not from people who have a opinion on something they've never tried.
Thanks so much in advance!
Tracy
Old 01-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #12  
Empress/Queen

I agree that it's a waste of good coffee.

The colon cleanse idea just never seems to die. I have a friend who just put out big bucks for some product or other that promises a clean colon and weight loss. It just makes no sense to me, but maybe I am missing something, this is just my opinion and thought I'd share!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I try to stay out of controversial threads but felt a bit slighted and confronted by this one.
Let me preface by saying that this is just my opinion. I'm only a nurse ... so what would I know of anatomy, physiology, bowels, feces and enemas? No, I've never tried detox by bowel cleanse.

I think that detox by bowel cleanse is an exacerbation of the notion that we need to move our bowels regularly. Which we do. I feel it's another case of 'if some is good, more is better' .... Not true. If fed, watered and exercised regularly our bodies are pretty good at keeping us healthy. Fooling with any system beyond it's natural means can be harmful. Never underestimate the dangers of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Smile

Hi! I'm not sure if it was anything I said that made you feel slighted and confronted (since I was the last poster), but sorry you do. It didn't seem like the thread was controversial; I've also vowed to stay out of those, but I love to discuss "diet" theories, I guess. Just wanted to clarify.

I just wanted to add that I think your medical opinion is helpful and I personally appreciate your sharing. What I've been trying to say whenever these colon cleaning things come up is that IN MY OPINION a healthy body already has all it needs (as you say) to eliminate toxins. It's the way Mother Nature made us. I also believe, as you, that it can be dangerous to muck around with this system unless under medical supervision for a real condition ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
I try to stay out of controversial threads but felt a bit slighted and confronted by this one.
Let me preface by saying that this is just my opinion. I'm only a nurse ... so what would I know of anatomy, physiology, bowels, feces and enemas? No, I've never tried detox by bowel cleanse.

I think that detox by bowel cleanse is an exacerbation of the notion that we need to move our bowels regularly. Which we do. I feel it's another case of 'if some is good, more is better' .... Not true. If fed, watered and exercised regularly our bodies are pretty good at keeping us healthy. Fooling with any system beyond it's natural means can be harmful. Never underestimate the dangers of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Isn't adding fiber to your diet a better option?
Closed Thread