Old 01-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #1  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Default First night out what should i do?!

Okay im freaking out i've been really good food wise and staying under my calorie intake everyday BUT i have been making all my own food and knowing exactly what im eating tonight for the first night since i started keeping track of calories, my mil has invited us to come over for dinner! I love when she cooks but it's not alway's healthy and im freaking out becouse i don't know how im going to figure out how many cal's are in dinner and what to eat?!
Here's what she say's were having, Pot roast dinner with the onion soup in it for flavor, celery carrots onions and rhodes rolls with regular jello and bannana's in it.
It sounds good but im scared what should i do? please help! im scared to eat any where but my own home becouse i know what im eating kwim?! anyone?!
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I love to measure and know everything I am putting in my mouth!!!

Can you bring a salad or side dish along that you can 'measure' and eat just a portion of what she is serving?
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #3  

yeah i could do that, I think it's going to be pretty simple food so maybe i should just have a piece of meat small tato and lot's of carrot's maybe one roll and a small dish of jello? what do you all think about that?! im crazy i know...
Old 01-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #4  

Okay i went to my food log on sparks site and just found this information im kinda making it up but it's about what i'll be having does this sound about right? thanks!

Boston Market Beef Pot Roast Gravy & Beef w/ Vegetables & Mashed Potatoes, 1 serving -480 calories

Dinner Rolls, 1 roll (pan, dinner, or small roll) (2" square, 2" high) -84 calories

Gelatin (Jello) prepared with water, 0.5 cup -84 calories
Old 01-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #5  

I can't say about the rest of the meal but Rhodes Anytime Dinner rolls have 140 calories per roll. (I happen to have a pan in my freezer )

As for the roast, just be sure you eat a reasonable portion (3-4 ounces is what I usually aim for) and skip any gravy or juice from the pan. If the the carrots are actually cooked WITH the roast go easy on them because they will have absorbed a decent amount of the fat from the roast drippings. The gelatin shouldn't be too bad assuming it isn't served with any whipped topping.

If you aren't comfortable brining a side dish that is okay for you to fill up on consider eating before you go. A big salad, some cottage cheese and nuts, nothing that will fill you up but enough to keep you from going to you MIL house hungry.

Good Luck!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #6  

I have the frozen rhodes rolls and on the package it say's 95 calories for one roll so we must have different rolls. thanks for reminding me about the carrots they are my favorite part and i never thought of them being in the fat juice! so have a decent size portion of the meat then im not sure what an once is could you describe for a ******!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249.4/210.0/140

The rule of thumb I have always heard is that for meat, 1 servings is no bigger than the palm of your hand and no thicker than your hand. That is about 4 oz (I think). Anyone else know something different?
Scrappy Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Pick your meat that would be about the size of the palm of your hand (open) or picture a deck of cards.
What I do when I know I'm going somewhere where I can't know everything I'm eating, I will try and eat my other meals and snacks a lot lighter. (Have lots of raw veggies as snacks). That way even if I go over on that meal, I've compensated for it. Just remember that this is one meal. If you do end up eating more than you planned just get right back into your next meal.

A couple of tips to help while you are eating is to set your fork down until you have fully chewed and swallowed before picking up your fork for you next bite. Drink a glass of water before eating. Try and take at least 30 minutes to eat since it takes about that long for your stomach to signal your brain that you are full. At first signs of fullness stop eating. Don't feel like you have to finish your plate just because someone cooked for you. HTH
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #9  

My roll package says 95 calories too - but it comes with an optional honey butter package. If you add the butter after they have baked they are 140 calories. We may have different varieties but watch the small print on their packages becuase the information about the butter isn't obvious on the type I bought.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #10  

Dawnyals suggestions are good and reminded me of anther one. Ask if you can use a salad plate instead of a dinner one. Even if you fill it up you will still have kept your portions in check. Plus, 4 ounces of meat doesn't look like much sitting in the middle of a great big plate! As a matter of fact, I eat with a salad fork too - it forces me to take smaller bites.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #11  

great tips, I will use the chewing and smaller plate ones I have tried to keep today lower in cal's so if i over do it a little i will be okay. thanks for the tips!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #12  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

It really can be scary when you first eat out in "the real world". The advice these folks gave is great about eating some filling veggies before you head over, minding portion size, and using a small plate. There are times when you just plain aren't going to have control over what's served, and that's okay...Do your best, and if you're over your calories, you do like Dawnyal said and go right back to goodhabits with your next meal.

It helps to go with the mindset of "I'm going to eat like a thin person" (just not like one of those beanpole think persons who can pack away a side of beef and not gain a pound, though - you know what I'm sayin'.).
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote