Old 01-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #1  

Default Should I count fiber sup. calories?

Hi, fellow calorie counters, I read somewhere else on this site that when taking fiber suplements like benefiber, and metamucil, that we don't have to count them into our daily calories. But it's like 20 cal. per serving and I'm taking at least 5-6 servings a day. So you know, when calorie counting, 120 calories is a big difference. What do you all think? I'm just not sure.

OH, and one more thing, I tried Fat Free Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix today for the first time. It has added calcium (300mg) and is only 50 cal. I really liked it. It cured my sweet tooth tonight. I'm always looking for more ways to get calcium. Anyways, if you like that sort of thing, I thought it was yummy. Have a great day, and thank you in advance if you have any info/opinion on the fiber thing. Thanx, Lindystar
lindystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Well, for every gram of fiber you take in, there are a few calories that "pass through" your system. The fiber supplements that you are taking are almost completely going through your system, meaning they are not absorbed.

Can I ask, why you are taking the fiber so many times per day? Is there a medical issue?
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #3  

Hi, thankyou, no, no medical issue. Its just that its really difficult for me to get 35g of fiber a day on a 1400 cal. diet. I am eating healthy, don't get me wrong, fish, veggies, fruit, dairy. And of course only whole grains. But it seems like the things with the most fiber, have the most calories. And I really want to get the RDA of Fiber a day, so I just mix in some benefiber with my yogurt in the morning, or with soup in the afternoon, ect. Do you have any tips on low cal fiber foods? I know spinich and green beans are great, and I love them, but I can't eat 4 cans of spinich a day ! Thank you for your reply, Have a great day, Lindystar
Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I don't think my fitday counts fibre for me. It's never occured to me to think about it, I guess because I don't have any of the ... um ... problems associated with low fibre (as long as I eat fruit, veggies and crushed flaxseed).

I just went to fitday to check it out and I get almost 30 gms.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:04 AM   #5  

Hi Susan, oh, I don't have any problems . . . you know with fiber, Oh geez, but I read that it helps out your liver to work better when your loosing weight. Something about that it helps get the fat your burning off through your system easier. Oh, and please, anybody, do your own research, this is just something I've read a couple of times, and I'm definetly not a doctor or anything.

But hey, good job getting those 30g, good for you. And hey GREAT job on that 32 lbs !!
Have a good one, Lindy
Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #6  

Lindy, I was just thinking that you could click on my fitday and get some examples of what I eat so that I'm getting enough fibre. Maybe then you wouldn't have to worry some much about adding the calories in your benefiber.
You have a good one too!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #7  

I take Fiberchoice supplements 2 twice a day. My gasteroenterologist (did I spell that right) recommended it as I was having pain in my side and he said it was from my colon spasming!
So far so good!!! It is working.
They are yummy ..taste like sweetarts and I take 4 total sometimes 6 per day and I DO count the cals...better safe than sorry I think.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #8  
This time for good!

Default Make your own cocoa mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindystar
OH, and one more thing, I tried Fat Free Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix today for the first time. It has added calcium (300mg) and is only 50 cal. I really liked it. It cured my sweet tooth tonight. I'm always looking for more ways to get calcium. Anyways, if you like that sort of thing, I thought it was yummy. Have a great day, and thank you in advance if you have any info/opinion on the fiber thing. Thanx, Lindystar
Try this:
2c Nonfat Dry Milk
1c Splenda measurable
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 c dry nondairy creamer

Mix together. Use 3-4T per cup of hot water. I find that 3T is plenty. Only about 40cals per cup. I always top it with nonfat Cool Whip. Mmmmmm!
HappyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #9  
This time for good!

Default Make your own cocoa mix

Sorry...My computer hiccupped and I double posted.
HappyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Have you tried the Kashi Good Friends cereal? Each serving has 12 grams of fiber. I like to mix this with a fat free flavored yogurt. Yummy!! Well, it tastes good with milk too.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #11  

Hi again
SusanB thank you, wow I had no idea that you can look at others diets, thats kind of neat, and I will check it out as soon as I am done writing, thank you !!

Hi Happywife, that sounds good, and it even has less calories, thank you for the recipie, I bet it is even cheeper too, and oh, I LOVE that.

Kimberly, Oh, wow, I used to eat Kashi, and I forgot all about it. I've been eating Total cereal for all the vitamins, but I could definetly put some on yogurt. EEEEW, especially this new yogurt I bought that has no sugar, eeelk, it tastes like they ground up chalk and added the powder to the yogurt or something. Totally gross, maybe the Kashi will make it more edible. Thanx !!!!

Last edited by lindystar; 01-19-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #12  

Hi again SusanB, I looked at your food journal, wow you have an awesome diet, I thought I was doing good, but your really great ! But I have a few questions, I saw that you take something called "Source" , and another called
"Isolated Soy Protein" I'm kind of lost, what is all that? And I saw that you take Flax seed? Is that for Omega 3's? Wow, you are way more advanced than me. Sorry, to bombard you with so many questions, I'm just curious, and you have done so well, so I guess I am double curious. Well thank you, and keep up the great work !!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #13  

Hi Lindy. Go ahead and ask all kinds of questions, I love this stuff!
Source is a nonfat yogurt that is available around here. I assume it's probably a Canadian manufacturer.

I'm not sure why they call it isolated either. I used to know and I could probably find out on the internet again. It's just protein powder. Cheapest form I've found. I get it in the bulk food store. It has no flavour or additives.

Flaxseed, I used to know all the jargon about fats but I've forgotten. It has the healthy ones, yes. And it's a good source of fibre.

Go ahead and ask. That's the only way you'll know, right?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #14  

Oh geez, Source is yogurt !! I was thinking that you were on some space age super diet !! I'm so silly. (laughing) Ok, I get it now, flax for healthy fat, and protein powder, well that just makes more sense now.

Do you make fruit smoothies with the Protein powder? I saw it was listed next to fruit, and I can't imagine that you would mix it with water. EEEEW?

Thank you so much for clarifying !! Oh, I'm still giggling over the yogurt thing, , You really do have a great diet, I hope you are proud of yourself. Have a good one, Lindy
Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #15  

Kinda made me wonder if I should go customize the names. If people can't understand them, it's hardly worth making them public. I just might do that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Fruit smoothies? Yes, fruit, water, protein powder and the flaxseed. Sometimes I add splenda. Some fruit isn't very sweet. I think Ilene uses sugar free jello powder for extra sweet and flavour. And I have used the single serving Crystal Lite thingees.

When I stick to it, I'm proud

Space age super diet ... good old calorie counting and exercising ... hmmm do you think anyone would buy the book?