Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #1  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

Default eggplant ziti

I love eggplant too I just always forget about it. But now with no pasta I'm sure it will be a staple around here. I apologize for the haphazard way of my recipe typing. I went ahead and highlighted all the ingredients so that you can pick them out. The rest is just personal taste.

I used to make this with ziti so I cut up an eggplant about the same size as ziti noodles. Your best bet is to make 1/2" slices, lay them flat and spinkle with salt to sweat out some of the moisture. Then go ahead and cut them to size. Then I quickly stirfry them in olive oil.

Saute up a chopped onion and as much garlic as you like. Add in ground turkey, chicken or lean beef roughly a pound or so. Add in a jar of pasta sauce-I guess now I'll have to find a "safe" sauce. Then nice thing is that it doesn't matter what the sauce taste like, it will still be yummy!

Drain 8 oz of FF cottage cheese and then mix with 8 oz of FF sour cream.

Gently spray a casserole dish to prevent sticking. Put down half of your eggplant. Cover the top with LF provolone slices-the amount needed depends on the shape of your dish. Next spread the cottage cheese/sour cream mixture over the provolone. Top with half the meat sauce. Then rest of eggplant. Sprinkle with some mozzarella, top with remaining sauce and grate some fresh parmesean. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until nice and gooey.
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #2  

Lightbulb This could be like lasagna

I would like to adapt this recipe with the eggplant lasagna recipe to make a more flavourful lasagna. do you think it would work? Mix the ricotta and cottage cheese with parmasan and egg and add some ground beef with the sauce added to the eggplant?
Egg Plant Lasagna - All Phases

2 large eggplants, sliced into 1/3 inch rounds (do not peel, but score with a fork before slicing)
Olive oil mixed w/ italian seasonings (the amount you use will vary on the size of your eggplants, you can always mix together more if you need it. I used a BBQ brush to put it on)
1 (one) 16 oz container part skim ricotta
1 egg
Parmesan Cheese (use your judgement...i like a bunch, go figure)
2 cups part skim mozzarella cheese
1 16 oz Jar/Can prepared spaghetti sauce (no added sugar, I like Hunts)

Brush both sides of each eggplant round with the olive oil mixed w/ italian seasonings and brown them in a pan or under the broiler
(we used the broiler, and it only took a few minutes)

After removing the browned eggplant rounds, set oven to heat to 400 degrees.

Meanwhile in a small bowl: Mix the ricotta, egg, and parmesan cheese.

In casserole dish (9x13 or 2 smaller ones) make layers of:

Sauce, eggplant, 1/2 ricotta mix, 1 cup mozz, sauce, and repeat. i topped it w/ a little more parm.

Bake in oven until bubbly.

Last edited by tasma5; 01-20-2006 at 12:37 PM.
tasma5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #3  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

sounds yummy!! Although the sour cream and provolone really add something amazing to the ziti, you might not want to leave them out
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote