100 lb. Club - How often to you do your measurements?

Nori71
01-15-2006, 04:50 PM
I forgot to do my measurements until today. Never done it much. Just curious how often you all measure? I was thinking like once a month. I know, silly question! Just wondering.

lucky_me
01-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I have always done it once a month. :)

Kamily828
01-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I forgot to do any measurements.

Out of curiosity...what do you measure?

kykaree
01-15-2006, 05:54 PM
I do mine every 8 weeks. Upper arms, forearms, thighs, calves, hips, abdomen, waist. It's really motivating, especially when the scales aren't playing!

susie_sunshine
01-15-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm a once a month girl!

RobertW
01-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I try on my "skinny jeans" at least once a week, and I measure my arms a few times per week, but that is to reassure myself that I am not LOSING too much size on them.

72butterfly
01-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I never think about taking my measurements. I will start next month and do it every 8 weeks. It is difficult when you know you're doing everything you are supposed to and it is not evident on the scale. I do try on old clothes too and that lets me know.

Nori71
01-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I forgot to do any measurements.

Out of curiosity...what do you measure?I know, I forgot until today also! I measured lots of places - but the main numbers were:
bust: 45
waist: 41
hips: 48
Pretty blah, huh!

My arms will be a special challenge! I have HUGE upper arms. Way out of proportion. Even on an obese person, I think. They measure 18 and 19 inches!:o Which happens to be the same number on my calves.:?:

What were your numbers?

-Nori

DollyR
01-15-2006, 08:04 PM
I check the clothes in my closet that have gotten too small. I can pretty much figure right now what I weighed when I wore them so I try them occasionally if I am getting closer. My green sweater looks better after only 6 pounds.

cagirlygirl
01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Nori,

I have super duper upper arms, too. :( At my highest (around 213 pounds), they were 17 1/2 inches in diameter. They were, by far, my biggest hang up about my body. I hadn't been sleeveless in public since about the age of 6.

There's good news, though! At 168 pounds, they've shrunk considerably. They measure about 13 3/4 inches now. Still considerably bigger than average, but I went to a formal Christmas party wearing a sleeveless (and backless! :o ) halter dress this year, and it was a big victory. Hang in there, girl! ;)

As for me, I measure whenever I think about it, usually once a month or so - or if I'm feeling particularly skinny :D

cheers! :hat:
paula

Nori71
01-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Nori,

I have super duper upper arms, too. :( At my highest (around 213 pounds), they were 17 1/2 inches in diameter. They were, by far, my biggest hang up about my body. I hadn't been sleeveless in public since about the age of 6.

I do not do sleeveless. Only in bed, with the lights out! HUGE HANG-up! Actually I do 3/4 sleeves almost all the time. When I got down to 172 about 7 years ago and had my body fat measured with calipers--they were the fattest part (%-wise) on my entire body!:o But yes, they did shrink nicely. Hopefully they will again. I got married in a sleeveless dress in '99 and it looked fine. Heck it looked "hot" compared to what I've gotten myself back up to! Oh well, here's to sexy arms all around! :cheers:

sabriena
01-15-2006, 09:39 PM
I do it once a month too. I started every week, but didn't see the point..once a month shows more change :)

ScarlettDrawl
01-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Monthly here too. I mainly watch the measurements of my bust, abdomen, hips, and thighs. The rest (arms, calves, etc) don't bother me.

YP1
01-16-2006, 02:54 PM
I used to do them every month, but I've got out of the habit. I occasionally do them when I'm looking at the websites of clothes shops to see what size I am, but I tend to go more by the fit of stuff I try on than the numbers on a tape measure.

killingjanni
01-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Once a month :)

t0rn
01-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I tend to do it once a month.

FS72
01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
I used to do it weekly with my weigh ins but at my weight where do you measure that you can find the same spot the next time you meassure? lol So I just go by how my clothes fit for measuring.

Felicia

Burgie
01-18-2006, 10:05 AM
where do you measure that you can find the same spot the next time you meassure?
Felicia

I actually try and use landmarks on my body. I have a small mole on my arm that I use as my spot to measure my bicep. Tits...measure right at the nipple with no bra on, waist....right at belly button, hips...look for the biggest number!, thigh....measure 8" above knee for my spot, knee...right at joint lint, calf....measure 6" below my knee for my spot.

You can actually get very consistent spots by making a system to use. I measure each time I lose 10 pounds, or monthly.

Nori71
01-18-2006, 12:13 PM
hips...look for the biggest number!
:rofl: Yep, that's how I do it!

Nori71
03-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Just had to share this - it's been 2 months since I recorded my first measurements. I did it again today and couldn't believe what the tape showed. During that time period, I've lost 22 pounds and 25.75 inches. The biggest loss in inches has been from my thighs - 4.5 inches in each one! All the burning in my thighs when I'm doing those Winsor Pilates are paying off!

Jenniffer
03-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I have yet to measure since January..I am excited to see the numbers. I will do so at the end of March.

SherryA
03-16-2006, 09:57 PM
I measure every time I feel the need to check progress. I post the results in an Excel spreadsheet. I have a colum for subtracting the end result from the beginning, a column for my "goal" inches, and a column that tells me how many I still have to lose to be there. I also record my weight on the chart and my "pinch" meausement for fat percentages.

If I feel like I've lost, and the scale doesn't show it I might measure for reassurance. I have 5 measurements taken since January 1st. So it is more than once a month, but not as often as every week.

Plan B
03-17-2006, 11:06 AM
I too use an excel template (downloaded from the MSN website) to track inches and weight... I just love the graphs!

I actually measure on my weigh-in day - every Friday! It's very encouraging as even if the scale doesn't move - which it didn't this week - I still lost 3in in my bust and 2in in my hips!

DNR
03-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I never take my measurements. I just try on clothes and if a smaller size fits, I'm thrilled. I don't worry too much about the numbers.

DNR

Misanthrope
03-17-2006, 10:16 PM
I've avoided doing measurements because, well, numbers are such a harsh reality. But if I can face the scale, I guess I can face the tape measure. My question is this: is there a best time to measure? Is it better to do it first thing in the morning vs. later in the evening (waking up rested vs. possibly being a bit swollen from being on one's feet in heels all day), or at a particular time in your cycle to eliminate water retention/bloating messing with the numbers, especially in the waist?

Lesa25
03-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Every other week I take my measurements sometimes I forget to. But, I weight in every week and if I didn't lose any weight that week then I will take my measurements I noticed if I didn't lose weight I tend to lose inches thou out my whole body more then if I lost weight weird huh?
:)

SherryA
03-18-2006, 03:05 AM
My seat belt is stuck in my car, and I've noticed my "losses" because there is extra gap between my body and the belt. I'm tempted not to fix it because I like seeing that there is a difference LOL. Whether it is safe or not I don't know.

willowgirl
03-19-2006, 08:43 PM
I used to measure about once a month, but since I have started doing weights at the gym, I have noticed that the scale is not changing but my shape is...so now I measure once a week. I like doing that better anyeay. I mean, I know 40lbs is a nice number to hear, but to realize that I have lost 7 inches from my waist makes me feel a million times better for some reason.

MaWhit
03-19-2006, 09:31 PM
I measure every 2-4 weeks. Bust, waist, hips, thigh, arm.

SnowboundChick
03-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I measure once a month as well, usually, if I need a boost I do every two weeks.

In addition to what others have listed, I do my neck as well.

Less of Lena
03-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm planning to do once a month. I didn't decide on that until mid-February, so my first real measure was March 1. I'm hoping to see some results on April 1 -- hope I'm not the April Fool!

Sherry, please please please just go buy a tape measure. Get your seatbelt fixed NOW. That is a VERY dangerous situation you're putting yourself in. Doesn't matter how skinny and cute you are if you're laid up in the hospital (or worse) because you had an accident and slipped out of the belt.

We lost a good kid at my son's high school because she wan't wearing her belt. 25mph crash, rolled the car, she slipped out. It can happen.

Sorry to be a downer (I just feel strongly about seatbelts).

YP1
03-20-2006, 03:54 PM
I went through a phase of doing them every month, now I just do them when I feel like it but don't tend to write them down. I never took measurements at my highest, so I have nothing to judge my total loss by and I just tend to use them to compare to online sizing charts if I'm about to hit the shops.