Weight and Resistance Training - NSVs = non-scale victories!

View Full Version : NSVs = non-scale victories!

silverbirch
01-15-2006, 07:20 AM
The scales haven't been playing ball with some of us recently. Frus has even put hers in the cupboard! It's time to celebrate our non-scale victories.

:cool:

silverbirch
01-15-2006, 07:25 AM
I tried on a skirt this morning. I started with size 14 (= US10), then size 12 (= US8) and then .... size 10 (= US6)!!! It fitted. I don't remember ever being a size 10.

I know UK sizes have changed since I was a girl but I am celebrating this victory!

Ilene
01-15-2006, 12:12 PM
WOW Silver great progress!! Congrats!

My NSV were, measurements this week... Since Jan '05 I have lost -2" on my chest, waist stayed the same, lost -1" on my hips, thighs stayed the same and lost -1" on my biceps... went from a size 8-10 to 4-6-8 :D... Lost only 2# though, but I really don't care after reading those measurements...

BeatlesFan
01-15-2006, 12:38 PM
My NSV are mostly psychological. I feel so much beter! :carrot: Since adding exercise to my day my body is so much happier. I wake up feeling revived! :)

kykaree
01-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Great NSV's all!!! Well done!!!!

I am greedy and have two. I went to the charity shop/thrift store, yesterday and saw the most gorgeous skirt (Per Una, Marks and Spencer) it's purple and lacey and size 16. (US 12) I really didn't think it would fit, but it did and now it's mine! It looks lovely and I adore it!

My second is I went for my regular swim today and was chatting to Pat and Ann my swimming friends, who were bemoaning their bingo wings (flab under arms) and I was trying to show mine, and they both said "you have gorgeous arms" My flab is all but gone!!! Yay!!!!

racegirl78
01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
My father in law asked me with genuine concern if I had been sick because I had seemingly lost weight, and my DH answered for me, saying that I was careful with what I ate and exercising. DH also commented that I was "losing weight wicked". I practically skipped the rest of the day ;)

2frustrated
01-16-2006, 05:11 AM
Erm... ok! My size 12 (US 8) trousers almost do up!

I can lift my bike up with no problem - all 300lbs of it! :D

I got through my first mega-strenuous week of exercise wanting to do more! I had to strap myself to the bed yesterday to get enough rest! ;)

I can feel my arms are musclier! :hyper:

silverbirch
01-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Good work, everyone! These NSVs are so inspiring; I just love reading them.

May I have another?

[permission granted]

When I was in the kitchen telling the Man about my skirt victory (see above), the Boy called through from the sitting room: 'You're much taller and thinner now.'

Taller and thinner? Oh yes. Thank you. Very true. :yes:

Oh, yes, and I've got some kind of jaw-line definition thingy. Any ideas? :lol:

Thanks for the congrats, Ilene!

2frustrated
01-16-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm having another too!

I "ran" 25 minutes non stop! That's a helluva victory whatever!

SB I really like your boy, he is :cool:

silverbirch
01-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I "ran" 25 minutes non stop! That's a helluva victory whatever!

You are right! Why the inverted commas? You are a runner now. No argy-bargy.

SB I really like your boy, he is :cool:

Thank you. He is a total darling.

2frustrated
01-16-2006, 10:13 AM
OK, I AM a runner! :rofl: It's the pace that doesn't feel like running... more shuffling! :rofl: Seriously though, on the way back, I thought, "Wow! I really am a runner now!"

chick_in_the_hat
01-16-2006, 03:55 PM
When I was in the kitchen telling the Man about my skirt victory (see above), the Boy called through from the sitting room: 'You're much taller and thinner now.'
Taller and thinner? Oh yes. Thank you. Very true. :yes:

There is an exercise to be taller? ;) Do tell!
But seriously - DH has started noticing muscles where there used to be flab...:carrot: Naturally, I now do Muscleman poses just for entertainment value..:devil: I have triceps instead of bat wings!!

silverbirch
01-17-2006, 09:52 AM
There is an exercise to be taller? ;) Do tell!

Dear Muscleman

I've been thinking a lot about this! I think it's something about the way my trousers hang better on my legs (and so make them look longer) and the way I stand up straighter when I've been working hard with weights.

But your guess, Gina, is as good as mine!

I think I might measure my height again. It's years since I did.

BeatlesFan
01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
My co-workers noticed that I've been losing today. What a big ego boost, and just when I needed it too. :carrot:

I hit the fitness center first thing this am, and had so much fun! :D

Ilene
01-18-2006, 12:20 AM
We do look taller when we are thinner... I've been told this on numerous occasions. Another example is when a friend of mine was very very sick and lost a LOT of weight, she seemed sooo much taller than before.

Silver, also the fact that your trousers ARE definitely fitting better on your hips instead of cutting into your waist :lol: makes you look taller especially to a child.

silverbirch
01-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Thanks, Ilene. That makes good sense.

I like 'being' taller. When I was at school, 5' 4.5" was pretty average here in the UK. Generalising wildly, North Americans and Germans seemed much taller, even huge. But now, almost everyone younger than me seems so tall. (It can't really be true, but it sometimes seems like it. :) )

WaterRat
01-18-2006, 02:07 PM
LOL, SB! :) I am 5'4", and the tallest woman in our family - both sides - from my generation back (i.e. my cousins, mom, aunts, grandmothers, etc) My nieces however, are all over 5'7" and I suspect their children will be too. I may feel taller when I'm thinner, but I still have to buy petite pants. :lol:

Yoyonomore
01-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Great stories. These are inspiring. When I stepped on the scale and was 217 I was so grumpy that both me and hubby agreed I should weigh very sparingly! So these little milestones are what I look for. I have to weigh on Friday and I'm a bit petrified. I've been working hard for almost a month. Here are my milestones.

I tried on my Christmas dress yesterday and it was looser and the arms weren't nearly as tight.

My jean jacket wasn't at all uncomfortable to wear.

I got a step workout and breezed through begginner and intermediate (although being a clutz I did fall once).

Today is a "fat" day. I feel fat, I only see fat in the mirror. I feel my stomach when I sit down and it's grossing me out. But that too is motivating! I just have to keep remembering my little victories and that there are cute jeans in my closet just waiting for me to lose weight.

She
02-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Just wanted to say what a lot of you guys already know, this lifting weights and eating clean stuff really works! :)

I’ve only lost 10 pounds since November, but I’ve gone down 2 sizes and am now a size 8. I weigh 149 and usually have to weigh around 130 to get into an 8, so I would call that a tremendous victory. Better yet, I couldn’t even get the 8’s up over my hips January 1st and today they are a perfect / comfortable fit! It’s amazing what one short month can do! So all you ladies / gents that are struggling and feeling discouraged, don’t give up, you’re hard work really will pay off.

~Julie

2frustrated
02-03-2006, 05:09 AM
:wave:

I'm counting my blessings today because the scales have really made me blue :cry: and I know it's not the only thing but the tape and the BF% haven't moved either :cry:

Sooooooo since 31st Dec 05 I have

1) lost 1" from my waist
2) lost 1/2" from my thigh
3) Increased my maximum running time from about 5 minutes to almost 36!!
4) Increased my Deadlift by 10lbs
5) Increased my squat by 10lbs
6) Increased my bench by 10lbs
7) Increased my db lateral raise and bent over lateral raise by 2.2lbs
8) Increased my concentration curl by 5lbs
9) Increased my lying triceps extension by 5lbs each db
10) Increased my dumbbell flye by 2.2lbs
11) Increased my dumbbell row by 5lbs
12) Increased my bent over barbell row by 35lbs! :eek: (something tells me I didn't start out high enough!)
13) Cut down bread/processed carbs to only 1 portion a day.
14) Increased my fruit and veg intake to about 6 portions a day.

How can I do all this and yet my body is still the same? WHY? I feel like just eating cake because all this effort isn't producing the results I really want! :cry:

kitkatbahr
02-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Ok, I have one. At least to me it's an NSV!

First off, though, I was finally, officially diagnosed yesterday with fibromyalgia. My doctor suspected it about 2 months ago and put me on cymbalta, which has helped tremendously, and Requip for restless leg syndrome. I also have plantar fascitis (heel spurs) but that's another story. Anyway, it's nice to finally have a diagnosis. I have lived with pain for so darn long now, and I'm almost 41 (tomorrow is my b.d.). With the meds, I feel like I get another shot at life. So, I've been working out, going to Curves, doing my TaeKwonDo (my husband, son and I signed up back in August (for them) and September (for me)), walking, etc. I have plans to walk a 5K in two weeks!

Ok, so, now for my NSV. I passed my belt testing for my next belt in TaeKwonDo. I am currently an orange belt 7th Grade Decided and will receive my yellow belt 6th Grade decided on Saturday at the graduation ceremony. My husband and so passed too and they will go from 6th Grade yellow to 5th grade camoflauge.

For me, this is a huge accomplishment! If someone had told me even a year ago, that I would not only be taking TaeKwonDo but loving it and doing well at it, I would have thought they were nuts! Me? No way. Too overweight, too much pain and fatigue. Just can't do it. If they had told me even 5 years ago, when I weighed 285 lbs and didn't do anything (this was before so much fibromyalgia pain, when I actually could have been exercising and doing something with my life, but was stuck in a bad marriage at the time), I would have laughed at them to their face! Absolutely no way. Exercise wasn't even in my vocabulary. Now, it's a daily event and I'm very proud of myself for achieving this victory!

Can't wait to do the 5K in two weeks. That's walking 3.1 miles!!!Eeks! I haven't walked that much yet, all at one time, but I'm working up to it, a little bit every day. So, we'll see. If only my darn feet didn't hurt so much! But I just received the heel seats that I ordered to help with that problem. So far, they seem to be helping, but it takes a few weeks for the body to adjust to them. We'll see how it goes...

Great job everybody!!
Kathy
Merritt Island, FL

Ilene
02-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Kathy and 2F -- Those are Great NSV!!! :bravo:

2F -- No fear one day you will step on the dreaded scale and it will have suddenly gone down. You're doing everything right AND look at ALL those lost inches and weight training gains :dance: ... AWESOME results IMHO!!!

2frustrated
02-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Kathy, well done on the belts :D

I have new NSVs! :D

Well I forgot to post on Friday that I can do the side splits! On my left side... It's well crazy because my right side used to be the most flexible, but now... it's the left! I can also do great side kicks with my left but my right is pants! :crazy:

So splits... and I ran 5K today! Yahooooooo! In sub 35 minutes! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh and an SV... down a pound if it's not a fluke! Motivating me to keep on track with all the good stuff! Huzzzah!

sportmom
02-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey everybody, so for anyone out there who is struggling to get started again or is wondering if it is worth all the hard work, I just wanted to share with you some Non-Scale Victories I received today! My company had a mini-health fair where you could go in and get tested, and I got some amazing results. I was hoping to see some improvement over the last test results I had, with all the soy shakes and exercise, but my reality exceeded my expectations. It was a win-win this week, the scale went down, but even these NSVs made me feel even better. Something about the day too - more people smiled at me, said hello, or initiated conversations. Either everyone was super happy it was Friday (possible) or, maybe just maybe, I have more energy in my step, am walking a little higher, and I was probably walking around with a goofy smile on my face all day after seeing these numbers! So, I just had to share. Ladies, it is SOOO worth it!!! (Plus, I have to retire the pants I wore today, they were falling off! It was my official send off for them, and how appropriate to wear them to the health fair.)

--
Lost since Dec. 7: --- 22.4 lbs ---

Dec. 7 Feb. 17
Cholesterol 237 181
BP 140/90 122/86
BF 48% 37%
Glucose 76 (under 120 is good)

Mel
02-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Congratulation! Health and feeling bettis is really what it's all about, isn't it? ('tho smaller pants are a very nice side effect!)

kikatbahr- I don't know how I missed your post! I'm glad the cymbalta is helping you. You've made tremendous progress :hug: I have fibro also. It is hard to keep going through the flares, but in the long run, you'll actually feel better if you keep moving and eating healthy.

Mel

She
03-01-2006, 10:54 AM
It’s amazing what one short month can do!

I said it on February 2nd and I'll say it again today :D I tried on and bought my first pair of size 6 jeans yesterday! That means I'm down another two sizes in only a month! :carrot:

I'm loving my new lifestyle and all the healthy (not to mention cosmetic) rewards I'm reaping from it. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me and giving me the knowledge I need to be successful. I've really learned a lot since I started lurking here in November.

As an aside, I'm also down 5 lbs to 144.

~Julie

hellcatjill
03-01-2006, 12:51 PM
I bought jeans the other day, and bought a size smaller than I normally do! True, I tried on the size I usually get, also, and it fit almost the same, but who cares? The smaller one fit, so I bought that one, of course. ;)

I need to take my measurements and have Dh take a picture of me. I haven't compared to my first picture yet, and I'm anxious to see if there's any change.

silverbirch
03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Julie - two sizes!! :balloons:

Hellcatjill - the smaller size??:balloons:

Thanks, both of you. I need the encouragement at the moment. I need to know it is possible!

kykaree
03-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Weird NSV alert!!!

My inner fat chick is still alive and well. I was in the gym in our abs area and there were two very fit guys, about 19 or so, standing waiting. One came up to me, and my inner fat chick screams "see, you're kidding yourself, they want you to move so they can do some proper exercises"

Ok so fit guy says, "I hope you don't mind me asking, but can you show us some ab exercises, coz you really know what you're doing with abs"

So I gave them a circuit of about 5 or 6 exercises, for upper and lower abs, back, obliques etc. And gave them some tips. They commented on how lithe and fit I am, and that my little circuit killed them!!!

This is the girl who was terrified of the gym, who never spoke to anyone and skittled in and out as quick as she could!!!

tikanique
03-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I didn't eat any of the assorted forbidden food items that Bozo brought over. I told AJ that if she wanted her dad to get her treats then going forward, get just enough for her and that's it. She took the rest of them to school this AM and shared with her classmates.

Go Tiki! Go Tiki!

2frustrated
03-03-2006, 08:42 AM
YAY Tiki! :dance:

No NSVs to report here, yet. But I might make it through the weekend ok (got my positive :halffull: head on)

Ilene
03-03-2006, 09:15 AM
I didn't eat any of the assorted forbidden food items that Bozo brought over. I told AJ that if she wanted her dad to get her treats then going forward, get just enough for her and that's it. She took the rest of them to school this AM and shared with her classmates.

Go Tiki! Go Tiki!WOOHOO :cp: Way to go girl :high:....

2F -- Let's you and I challenge ourselves to stay "clean" this weekend...BUT is wine ok :cheers:... Please say yes :^:

2frustrated
03-03-2006, 09:28 AM
:lol: If wine's ok for you then can I have just one cake? I can't get them down here, they are delish!! I promise to eat clean the rest of the time :yes:

So clean apart from one treat ;) DONE!

Ilene
03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
ONE treat it is....:crossed:

WaterRat
03-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Gads, Ilene, a little wine is always okay! :lol: We are in this for the long haul right? And the long haul without some wine is not worth contemplating. :) Likewise cakes Frus! Have fun showing off your sexy skinny self!

hellcatjill
03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Weird NSV alert!!!

My inner fat chick is still alive and well. I was in the gym in our abs area and there were two very fit guys, about 19 or so, standing waiting. One came up to me, and my inner fat chick screams "see, you're kidding yourself, they want you to move so they can do some proper exercises"

Ok so fit guy says, "I hope you don't mind me asking, but can you show us some ab exercises, coz you really know what you're doing with abs"

So I gave them a circuit of about 5 or 6 exercises, for upper and lower abs, back, obliques etc. And gave them some tips. They commented on how lithe and fit I am, and that my little circuit killed them!!!

This is the girl who was terrified of the gym, who never spoke to anyone and skittled in and out as quick as she could!!!

That's a real ego booster right there! Woo-hoo! :carrot:

Mel
03-03-2006, 09:25 PM
:bravo: You sure have gained a heap of confidence!

4rabbit
03-04-2006, 05:19 AM
WoW! You guys are an inspiration.
You are doing so well! keep it up

rabbit

2frustrated
03-06-2006, 05:06 AM
OOoh more NSVs!!! Ilene how was your weekend? My one cake turned into a free day, but it's better than last weekend's 3 free days... Baby steps!

I managed to fit into most of the "sample size" wedding dresses I tried on on Saturday :eek: :D That's US 8, UK 12.

I managed to zip up an old old dress of my mother's easily that I had to SQUEEZE into in December :D

Old trousers that I used to wear at this weight fall right off now. Inches, not pounds.

EXCELLENT!

Mel
03-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Wedding dresses????? When is the date? :o

2frustrated
03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
November, hopefully. We're registering our intent to marry on Saturday, and hopefully we'll be able to sort out a date then. :crossed:

Ilene
03-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Congrats 2F!! :cheers:

My weekend was terrible, thanks for asking, but I am DETERMINED today to have a good week!!

2frustrated
03-06-2006, 10:29 AM
:hug: Poor weekend ;)

I feel glad that I've managed to cut down my free weekend, next weekend I hope to just have a free meal. :crossed:

hellcatjill
03-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Congratulations on the engagement, 2frustrated! What great motivation for losing weight, too. ;)

I finally got my husband to take my measurements again for me. My upper arms stayed the same at 11 inches, I lost 1/2 inch from my bust (boo!), 1/4 in. from my thighs and 1/4 inch from my calves, 2 1/4 inches from the area above my waist (smallest point between bust and waist), and get this. . . 3.75 inches from my waist! This was since December 2. I had taken measurements a couple times since then, but they were always either the same or a tiny bit bigger. :o My waist is the part of my body that I hate the most, so I'm very excited! My thighs are also a problem area, but I have built a lot of muscle there, so that could account for why I don't seem to be losing much from there.

4rabbit
03-07-2006, 09:02 AM
2Frus - Congratulations on the wedding plans!!

2frustrated
03-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Strangest NSV that didn't feel like an NSV at all!

I had pizza (no that's not it!), then I got hungry, and hungrier and hungrier. I ate apples and ryvitas rather than crisps and chocolate. DF even offered me a muffin (chocolate or carrot and orange) if I wanted, but I said no, like it was no big deal. It wasn't at the time, no big deal that I turned down a muffin. It was easy!

So I KNOW I can turn down a muffin - it's easy AND I didn't let pizza turn into a binge! WAHEY!

Misti in Seattle
03-09-2006, 09:15 AM
So I KNOW I can turn down a muffin - it's easy AND I didn't let pizza turn into a binge! WAHEY!

Woo hooooooo that's great! Don't you just LOVE it when doing the right thing starts to seem "normal" and not that hard!!!?? Yippee for you!!!

teapotdynamo
03-21-2006, 06:25 PM
I had a really fun NSV today. I was working shoulders on the bench next to the hugest non-steroided dude I've ever seen at my gym. I kept noticing him watching me but not in a creepy pick-up way, until finally he stopped and asked, "Who trains you?" I sort of laughed and pointed at myself and said "I do." He looked surprised and said that I have "some of the best form and concentration I've ever seen." I was very, very flattered, particularly since I already had noted HIS form (no, no, no, not in THAT way ;) ). Also, this was at lunchtime when it's a huge guyfest, so for one of them actually to notice I exist -- and not to seem to resent my female presence -- is a major feat (they're usually so into themselves and each other that I feel mercifully invisible).

Anyway, just a silly little thing but it made me work a LOT harder the rest of the workout and leave beaming! :D My arms already feel like jelly!

hellcatjill
03-21-2006, 07:02 PM
That's great, teapot!

That actually reminds me of a NSV that I have had recently. I used to wear track-type pants to the gym, but I always got so hot when I was doing a lot of cardio. I bought some capris, which I wore for a while. That helped some. Finally I broke down and bought some shorts. And not just shorts, but bike shorts, yes, as in the stretchy, clingy kind. I figured I could just wear them when I worked out at home, but when I tried them on, I didn't look nearly as fat as I thought I would.

Last night I wore them to the gym for the first time. I went upstairs to the women's area to lift weights, but then I came down and walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes. I felt kinda self-conscious, but I did it anyway, even with all the guys around. My husband came a little later, and he told me after we left that he noticed a lot of guys checking me out. :o So I guess I didn't look too bad in my new shorts!

Oh, BTW, just walking 45 min. on the treadmill was a huge victory for me, too. I used to get so bored after about 10 minutes on the treadmill, but now I get kind of excited thinking of all the calories I'm burning (dork!) and I can stay on longer.

silverbirch
03-22-2006, 06:01 AM
Jennifer! Hellcat! What brilliant NSVs! I love them! Well done, both of you! :hug:

Misti in Seattle
03-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Yah those are great! Congratulations!!!

2frustrated
04-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I made it through the WEEKEND (cleanly):carrot:

And... I bought size 10 (US 6) trousers!! Okay so they're stretchy.... but still!

hellcatjill
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
I bought some shorts, and while I could look better in them, I don't look TOO bad. LOL That's a victory to me!

Ilene
04-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Speaking of shorts I wore mine from last year and they still fit :dance:...

2frustrated
04-04-2006, 05:02 AM
:cp: Well done all!

I went out for pizza and had a SALAD! :faint:

Sarah Ann
04-04-2006, 08:05 AM
My NSV is a little bit sad and definitely NOT PC ... but it was an NSV to me - I got a wolf-whistle yesterday. I'm 50 and its been YEARS since the last time someone (except DH) wolf-whistled me. :D

Misti in Seattle
04-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Yay for all of you! And LOL Sarah, PC or not, good for you! :)

I have been having some stair NSVs... I have been trying to climb my 3 flights of stairs "adult style" (I used to have to do baby steps, one foot at a time, etc.) and I have been doing it but the last couple days I've done it without holding onto the rail at all; and last night I went up the ones at church that way, which have higher risers. LOL I still may not look very graceful doing it but I am getting to the top!!

hellcatjill
04-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Good work, Misti! I used to work in our county courthouse, which had a ton of steps, and people were always coming in so out of breath. LOL! Stairs are quite a workout, that's for sure.

Sarah Ann--A wolf whistle? Heck, I'm 24 and it's been forever since I've heard one. I would definitely count that as a NSV! :)

Misti in Seattle
04-04-2006, 09:39 PM
I used to work in a five story building, which had a back set of stairs. At lunch we used to go run up and down all the stairs from top to basement... LOL I would die doing that now but it sure kept us in shape!! :)

2frustrated
04-05-2006, 06:32 AM
:cp: Yay for stairs and wolf whistles! :D

OMG I almost forgot about my greatest NSV (see how "normal" I think being healthy is now!). I stole a tiny cookie from DF last night. Well it was stale, so after I took one bite I threw the rest in the bin!! :faint: Now that IS progress - I would've eaten the whole thing stale or not a fortnight ago! :lol:

Ilene
04-05-2006, 09:36 AM
I do that too now 2F, I refuse to eat it unless it's the best of ...