Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2006, 02:14 PM   #1  
Dede

Default elliptical vs Precor

Ok Guys...weigh in here, so to speak:

Which is better for burning those calories??
dberdine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #2  

Um... I own a Precor Elliptical. It gives a good workout, I'm pretty happy with it.

I don't understand the question, I think.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Any old exercise will work as long as you like it and actually DO it. Precor is a tradename I think. They make all kinds of things. What was the other one like? And what kind of calories are we talkin'?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #4  

Precor is a brand name and they make lots of different types of exercise equipment. An elliptical is a TYPE of exercise machine.

What's important in burning the most calories is not the machine, but how hard and how long you work. I can burn essentially the same number of calories by using an elliptical, a stationary bike, a treadmill, by swimming, by walking in my neighborhood, by skipping rope, by dancing, or anything else as long as I do it for the same amount of time at the same intensity. What's more important than the machine you use (if you use one at all) is working in your target heart range. There is a great article on the HeartZones web site that explains this further, check it out: http://www.heartzones.com/maxfatburn...at_burning.php

That doesn't mean that choosing a method of cardio exercise -- and a machine -- isn't important. I generally dislike riding a stationary bike, so buying one would not be a smart move for me because I wouldn't use it. I like ellipticals, but I have found that different types suit my body MUCH better than others. So, you want an activity you will like well enough to stick with it and do for a sufficient amount of time each workout, and a machine that suits your needs best. Only you can really decide what that is in each case.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #5  
Dede

ok yeah, that makes sense. I like one machine at the gym better than the other but thought better to do the one that makes me work harder...in thinking about that though, i will more likely stay on the one i like longer and stick to it...

Sometimes you just need to say things outloud i guess.

Thanks
dberdine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My daughter likes the treadmill but not 'the something else I can't remember the name of', so she does both. Just to change things up.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #7  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

my gym has precor and lifefitness ellipticals. the precor is easier and burns fewer calories, but i prefer it because i can only do about 20 min on the lifefitness and i want to do cardio for 35 - 40 min. it keeps my heart rate in the proper range also.
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #8  

Due to warranty and the quality of there products, I'd go with Precor brand, If u can afford it. Yes Precor does make ellipticals and I would go for an elliptical over a threadmill or bike when buying an expensive brand machine. Why? Cause u can find good quality bikes for much cheaper prices. U can also find good threadmills at cheaper prices. Maybe for a third the price u can find a good one but the quality ellipticals are harder to find at cheaper prices. Even brands that costs a $1000 or $2000 are not great at the price and can turn up bad. That's why I am saying if u are gonna go for a Precor u should go for the elliptical which are in my opinion more prone to breakdowns then threadmills, so having the good warranty on it is much more important. The only reason I would go with a threadmill is if in all honesty u enjoy it more than an elliptical.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:36 AM   #9  
GARDENING ADDICT

Like Tobetheman said, warranty is very important. The Precor and Life Fitness have some of the best with lifetime frame and welds, 10 yr parts and wear items (compared to 6 months om wear item on lesser brands), 1 yr labor.
I am going to buy an elliptical and I was looking at the Smooth CE3.2 but then saw many reviews about the wear bolts breaking. Next week I'm going to look at some of the Precor and Life Fitness in the range of $2700.

Be sure to do your research, read as many reviews as you can and be sure to try the item out, if possible , before making a decision.
2BFIT1 is offline   Reply With Quote