Weight Loss Support - Attempts Until Success

View Full Version : Attempts Until Success

srmb60
01-13-2006, 01:37 PM
We hear so often from folks who have not succeeded with weight loss before and are afraid to try again. According to Anne Fletchers book most losers have attempted weightloss many times before they succeeded or even made progress.
How about you? How often have you tried before this time?

teahoney
01-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Too many times to count. I've been trying to lose weight since I was 8. I'm 26 now, almost 27. You do the math. It drives me crazy thinking that just about all of my life has been focused on losing weight.

Hibiscus8
01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
The definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different outcome. Persistance is important for weight loss, but attempting to go about it the same way over and over only yields frustration. Your approach has to change.

Meg
01-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I tried and failed a thousand times. But I picked myself up and tried one more time - and that's the time that worked.

Now I'm closing in on four years of maintenance. :)

_MelissaLyn_
01-13-2006, 02:33 PM
just like teahoney i have been dieting since childhood, i would say about since i was 6 or seven. doctors always had me listed as overweight and my mom tried her best to help. i will be thirty in july so i would say that 25 years of being the heavy one has gotten old!

i have tried countless times to lose weight and only have had sucess one time other then this attempt, when i was 17. and that was because i liked a boy something fierce. goes to show that if you arent losing weight for yourself it will just pile right back on. in my case it came back and then some.

my highest weight was 315 at 23 years old. i am well aware that my weight will be a struggle for the rest of my life but i am going to weigh less then i do today in the future and everyday after that!

shush
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
When i was 20 I lost 42lbs (and put it back on).:(

When I was 30 I lost 70lbs (and it pu it back on).:(

In the last 2 years I've lost the same 28lbs 3 times :( :(

Now that I'm 40 I need to lose around 98lbs.But I've got to keep trying because each time I do it I learn something new and I've got to believe that this time might just be THE time :)

NotTheCheat
01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Shush - I think there is an interesting mathematical correlation there!

I too have tried more times than I can count including two summers at Weight Watchers camp when I was a teen. Here I am at 32 and somehow it feels different this time. We'll just have to see . . .

josie4
01-13-2006, 03:09 PM
I tried once a couple years ago, lost 20 lbs and kept thirteen off. Last January I decided to lose the rest of my weight, and have done pretty well so far. :)

YP1
01-13-2006, 03:23 PM
I've never seriously tried before. I kind of put it off because I assumed I'd fail, then one day everything clicked and I just did it.

Of course, I still don't know whether it's going to be the last time, but I'll be doing everything I can to make sure it is.

TBJ333
01-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Hmm, interesting question.

I lost weight twice before.

Now, I am not re-gaining, but I am losing really slowly. As in, 10 lbs. per year. But I feel like I'm trying and failing, trying and failing.

kykaree
01-13-2006, 05:50 PM
I answered twice. I got sent to weight watchers when I was 14, but that doesn't count in my book, because I didn't try. At 23 I lost about 40lbs, but then put it all on and lots more when my marriage broke down following a miscarriage.

It was only late '04 that I decided I had to do it, the timing was ideal, I was basically happy with my life, feeling strong, and thought, right lets give this a go.

Glory87
01-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Here's my weight loss history to date.

1985 high school, weighed around 140 lbs. I remember trying to eat lower cal, but not really knowing what that meant. I remember eating toast for breakfast with a thin scraping of butter and jelly and riding my bike all around the neighborhood. I remember the scale reading 133 lbs, the lowest it would weigh for 20 years. Just gave up and quit doing it, reverted back to old habits/way of eating.

1989 summer in college - weighed 151. For 4 weeks I ate nothing but a bowl of rice krispies and an orange every day (Dexatrim was involved) I got down to 137. Stopped "dieting," gained all the weight back and more and got 2 lovely stretchmarks on my stomach due to the weight coming back on so quickly. I distinctly remember what triggered the end - a binge on 4th of July. Specifically O'Boise's potato chips. I had been restricting so long, I had one chip and couldn't stop. I ate all day until I was ill and that was the end of that.

1992 college, sr. year - weighed 175. From Jan - June, I did "low fat." Pretty much anything I wanted as long as it was low fat (including stuff like Snackwells) Got down to around 141 for my lowest weight. I would constantly binge on low fat sugary stuff - those snackwells teddy graham's were a big weakness. Ate a lot of pasta and white baked potatoes. From this diet, I did incorporate some very long term healthy habits that have stuck with me through today - greatly reduced the amount of fried foods, no mayo, no more full fat salad dressing, no butter, very little sugary soda. I also really cut back on meat during this time.

1992-1999 Managed to gain/lose, gain/lose but stayed around 150ish. After losing all that weight, I knew "how" to do it. If I wanted to lose weight, I would just restrict for a bit and the weight would come off, and then I would stop. And the weight would come back on. Then I would lose it. Then I would gain it back.

99 - weighed 150, had my jaw wired shut for surgery, lost 10 lbs on a liquid diet, gained it all back very quickly. Unavoidable - I really couldn't eat solid foods. Was around 145 or so. I think this set me up for the rapid weight gain that happened in 2000 after I started working at my new job, I gained a lot of weight...quickly.

1999-2004 - weight went from 150 to 190. Lots of wishing to lose weight, very few real attempts lasting longer than 2-3 days. Got down to 170 one time before a big work trip, gained it all back right away though.

04 - weighed 192, decided to completely overhaul eating and concentrate on whole foods with high nutritional impact and avoid foods with low nutritional impact. Super food diet! Currently weigh 128 lbs - 10 months maintenance.

Interesting to see how I always gained back the weight and MORE! This is why I'm so obsessed about calories and gaining the weight back - I don't want to go back to being heavy.

RobertW
01-13-2006, 06:30 PM
This is my longest and most successful attempt. Over the past 25 years I have lost 30-50# over a period of a few months of dieting and then let it creep back up in a years time.

I definitely never reached the point where I was no longer obese, although by bodyfat percentage I am starting to approach that point now.

LovesBassets
01-13-2006, 07:09 PM
I'll tell you what's weird about me. LOL, I'll tell you ONE thing that's weird about me anyway :D ...In my entire life, I've tried to lose weight twice. And I lost weight both times -- 20 lbs in 1995, and 50 lbs this time around. I gained all 20 lbs back after the 1995 success, though, so my goal this time is to seriously keep it all off for life.

You have to understand that I can be slightly obsessive and SUPREMELY project-oriented. Once I get it into my head to do something, I DO it. Not always a good thing (especially when the idea in my head is a wacky one) but in this situation it's been a huge plus.

The thing that I find interesting is that despite being overweight and/or obese for at least 20 years of my life, I never thought I could lose weight. Therefore, I never even bothered to TRY (other than in '95 and now). Bizarre.

Ruthxxx
01-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Well, I was overweight as a teen (120 pounds!) and have been dieting since I was 15. I am still dieting after 52 years. I'll be 67 tomorrow and I will NEVER give up!

kmccann
01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I am tried so many diets I can't remember them all. I finally gave up on diets and just started eating the right foods. The smallest I have been was 175 my senior year in high school and that was almost 18 years ago. Boy, I'm getting old! LOL My highest weight was 289 1 and 1/2 years ago. Since then I have lost 59 pounds and have been "off my rocker" for the past few months over the holidays. I have maintained the weight loss but it's going to creep back up if I don't straighten up! My goal is to be 175 again. I am taking my time to loose this weight in order to maintain it. I never want to gain the weight back again.

sf40
01-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm not really sure how to answer so I didn't vote. From the time I developed my hips and thighs, I always thought I was fat and wanted to lose weight but I never really tried. As long as I exercised a few times a week, I remained reasonably satisfied with my shape and weight.

In my late 20s and early 30s I became super busy with work, greatly reduced my exercise, started eating much more fast food and "low fat" garbage, and gained weight. Because of a serious health problem, I was able to reduce my work load so I had time to eat better and exercise. The excess weight came off without effort and without me really trying. I maintained for about three years, I guess until my metabolism started changing due to age. I felt like I wasn't eating that much junk and I was exercising a few times a week and couldn't figure out why I was getting bigger and bigger and bigger ...

Now, at 40, I am really trying. And it's taking so long (11 pounds and 1 size since early September) that sometimes I want to give up. But I remind myself that it's a lifestyle change, that I feel so much better now, that I can see muscle in some places (still covered with fat, but I can see it!), and that I shouldn't give up.

TribeFan
01-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Too many times to count here! I'm just thankful I finally put all the pieces together to solve the puzzle, if you know what I mean. :) The fact that my 40th, I mean, 2nd 39th birthday is approaching helped some too. :dizzy:

Heather
01-14-2006, 01:03 AM
I tried seriously several times before, never anything extreme:
* Weight Watchers between HS and college (went from 165 to 150 that summer)
* Weight Watchers again after college (don't remember exactly, but probably went from 220 to 200ish)
* On my own ten years later in 1998/1999 (went from 250 to 217)
* This time starting at 295!

Like so many others, weight loss followed by gain of all the weight plus more. And of course, many other half-hearted short-lived attempts.

After I gained back the most recent loss, I just gave up, figuring I would just be fat forever. I think I would have kept thinking that had my weight stayed at, say 275, where I plateaued for a while on the way up. But it just kept going up!

I still don't know if I'll be successful forever this time (though this time does feel different). But I'm learning that it's important just to DO it! And that I CAN do it.

LLV
01-14-2006, 01:17 AM
The definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different outcome. Persistance is important for weight loss, but attempting to go about it the same way over and over only yields frustration. Your approach has to change.
But that's the thing... many of us have tried a DIFFERENT action over and over again, expecting the SAME outcome.

Sometimes, with many folks, it takes not only persistence, but trying this and that until we find a balance - find something that works - for each individual.

Persistence and finding that balance doesn't always come overnight. For some of us, it can take years.

kmccann
01-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I think the best "diet" I've ever been on is my own. The only way we are going to loose the weight and keep it off for life is to make daily changes for life. You can still have the foods you love, just in moderation. If you crave something and don't eat "it" you are only going to eat a lot of other stuff until you are satisfied. The best thing to do is not get bored, depressed and start eating which is the biggest struggle for me! If I get the urge to start eating I try to make myself get on the treadmill, internet, or some other activity but of course it doesn't always work. Everyone has bad days!!!

LLV
01-14-2006, 02:14 PM
I think the best "diet" I've ever been on is my own. The only way we are going to loose the weight and keep it off for life is to make daily changes for life. You can still have the foods you love, just in moderation.
You said it, babe! :dancer:

YP1
01-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Absolutely, I can't be spending my life following someone else's rules, but if I can work out how to combine the things I like in a way that makes me thin, I've got a great chance of sticking to it.

Still, some of the "things I like" in my plan are things I never dreamed I'd like, so it takes some external persuasion to incorporate them sometimes!

PhatPhoenix
01-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I was underweight all my life, and ate whatever I wanted, without gaining until I was 30. Despite severe PCOS. I think I was always so slim because I was really active - I couldn't drive, and walked/cycled miles every day, also swam daily although oddly never thought of myself as *sporty*. (I was under 100lb until I was in my 20s, and then around the 130lb mark for years). I was always around a UK size 8-10 (US 4-6), eating entire packets of chocolate biscuits at one sitting and not putting on an ounce, so I couldn't understand why other women did, or what they were on about.

For me, the figure killer was breastfeeding. Childbirth too, but although after my first son I went up to a UK size 14 (Us 10) which for me was *fat*, I probably wasn't even overweight at that point. After a year of breastfeeding I was a size 20 (US 16) and weighed in the 180s.

I didn't bother to diet til I thought my family was complete - and the breastfeeding was over. As I fed each child for a year I waited til 1996 when my third son was a year old and started my first diet on his first birthday.

I did Rosemary Conley's low fat diet *The Hip and Thigh Diet* was out then. I lost around 40lb and went back to a very slim size 10 (US 6). I kept it off for years - without any real effort, just generally eating fairly low fat although not properly doing the maintenance diet, as I didn't need to.

Then I went and did it again - this time 2 more babies in 2 years - and worse still, 2 years of breastfeeding - and last year ended up around 195lb.

I tried South Beach - put on weight and uncontrollably too, so quickly stopped it, as it was quite scary. Luckily I only low carbed a few weeks, so don't think I damaged my metabolism too much. At the time, though, I panicked.

Then remembered how great the low fat diet had been and just got my books out from 10 years before. I bought a couple of Rosemary's mroe recent books and just followed diets from various plans of Rosemary's - when I got bored of one, I switched to another. I've lost 30lb since July.

So I've dieted three times in my life. Low carbing was a disaster for me - though I followed it strictly. Actually very scary to do everything right but then gain. Both my Rosemary Conley diets have been great - and the first one worked so well I have no doubt that if I hadn't got pregnant again, I'd never have regained the weight as I went 5 years in maintenance with no real effort.

My diets were in 1996, 2004 and 2005. Oddly, I got slim again quickly without any real *diet* after my fourth son, but got pregnant again with my fifth within months so as soon as I was back to a size 12 (US 8), I was pregnant again and my figure was really ruined!

PhatP x

LLV
01-14-2006, 09:12 PM
So I've dieted three times in my life. Low carbing was a disaster for me -
Same here. What a joke.

Yes, I'm a proud Atkins basher. Well, not really a "basher" but it's just one of those fad diets I don't personally approve of.

Deprivation of a certain food group isn't the way to go about it, unless you're diabetic or something like that and have no choice but to watch the carbs and glutenous foods.

lessofsarahtolove
02-09-2006, 10:51 PM
I answered twice, but only after some consideration.

I was normally weighted until my thirties -- I'm 41 now. I made no serious attempt at all to lose weight until March of 2004 -- Attempt Number One -- and steadily lost 78 pounds that year. The turning point for me was a cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment: 6 months of [lifesaving] chemo and steroids, during which I gained about 20-25 pounds. Gotta love those steroids!! :o After treatment and 3 months of recuperation before returning to work, I continued to eat off plan and avoid exercise, and gained another 15-20, for a total regain of what ended up being 42 pounds.

After one not even halfhearted attempt that I'm not even counting, it was so completely without seriousness, I'm back on track and this one I'm counting as Attempt Number Two. So far, I've lost 6 pounds of the regain, so at this writing I'm down a total of 42 pounds from my all-time high of 284.

So two attempts it is, for me -- although in a way it feels more like a continuation of my initial attempt, just interrupted. :) Hey, I'm Girl, Interrupted! :lol:

No matter; one attempt or two, this one's the last. :yes:

Tani
02-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Good Poll :)

I've lost weight several times before. Starting when I was thirteen and went from 150 to 130 because a boy made fun of my thighs in gym class.

I slowly regained back to 150 and maintained there through all of highschool and then gained the freshman 30 at college. Then came diet #2 which dropped me from 180 to 135

I maintained at about 140 for 2 years during college until a messy breakup that resulted in my ex committing suicide at my parents house. Sorry, that was probably TMI, but it must have messed me up pretty bad because I stopped caring about my weight for years after that, gaining all the way up to 265 with only a few half hearted attempts to regain control.

So I guess it was diet #3 that took me from my all time high of 265 down to where I am now, maintaining just under my happy college weight. This was a lot slower and less diety than my previous experiences though. It took me 4 years to get it all off, and my new habits seem really well ingrained, at least so far. :)

kayleystar
02-10-2006, 09:29 PM
As a few of you have mentioned, I have also been dieting since I was about 11 years old. I've been overweight my whole life. When I was 17, I was on the Atkin's diet, and walking on the beach every night with my friends. I lost about 40 pounds, and promptly gained it all back when I went off of it. Now I'm 19 years old, and trying for REAL this time. I won't let anything stop me! I want to be able to go out on my 21st birthday, and feel comfortable dancing and partying it up! I'm young! I want to enjoy the rest of my life!

chick_in_the_hat
02-11-2006, 01:02 AM
I did weight watchers for a while in junior high - but I don't really even remember how much I lost at the time...let's just chalk it up to "it was the 70's" :lol: I guess I could count this time as the third time if I count jr high. I lost 100 pounds about 2 years ago. Then I slowly gained 15 of it back...now I'm working on getting back to where I was, and finally reach goal. The good news is that this time I'm working out - I am fitting in smaller stuff than 2 years ago even though I weigh a little more. :carrot:

This is a really interesting thread.

Fit_Boo
02-11-2006, 03:03 AM
I have tried many times to lose weight. I'd lose some, gain back plus more, lose some, gain back plus more...and so on. Sad thing is, I'd be totally psyched to be at my starting weight of my first ever diet. Ahhh, if I had known then :)

This is the first time I actually am not trying to "lose" weight. I'm being healthy, eating what is good for me, and exercising because it's good for me, not because it's some cruel and unusual punishment for getting fat. lol And so far so good! I don't feel deprived, I enjoy the feeling after a workout and see the weight loss as a side effect of being the healthiest I can be every day. (of course, I still get disappointed sometimes when the numbers won't budge, but I'm determined to be stronger than the scale!) :wl:

PS: we need a little *kick the scale* icon lol

CoolMom75
02-11-2006, 03:19 AM
I have freaky weight gain with pregnancy. 120 to 200! Happened both times. I'm not usually a heavy person, and to have 80 pounds pack on, in about 5 months, is the craziest thing. Its like I was skinny me, trapped inside a huge body. I went to dash across a street, and about freaked when I could feel my own ***, literally clapping behind me. lol!

Because I ask myself is this how I want to live? I got down to business losing it. After my first baby, I did weight watchers and got back down to 125. After my second baby (back up to 200), I tried WW again, but wasn't into the meetings. I turned to Fitday and exercise, and got down to 150, got distracted and now I'm working on the rest.

Pregnancy has changed my relationship with food forever. I am an addict!

And now I'm too scared to have another baby. The hormones make me feel starving 24/7. I'd wake up in the middle of the night to go eat. I obsessed about food. I tried to watch my calories for a while but the hunger would overwhelm me. :(

Fit_Boo
02-11-2006, 03:29 AM
I went to dash across a street, and about freaked when I could feel my own ***, literally clapping behind me. lol!

:lol: that made me laugh. Maybe your butt was just cheering you on! :D :coach: :dance:

Jayde
06-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Interesting thread....

This is my second serious "try".

I was overweight as a kid.
Lost weight as a older teen although I didn't try... it just happened dueto 3 factors..1. I started smoking. :( :( 2. I was active. 3. I had jaw surgery. You don't eat when you can't. ;)

As an adult I gained weight after quitting smoking and then lots more after my second child. Then year by year.... more here and there.

I played at weight games a little.. not seriously... one week I tried the cabbage diet.. another week some herbal supplements ... but it was far from a serious attempt.

1st real attempt... I lost about 50 pounds. Then began putting it right back on due to not exercising.

This new go around is not an attempt. It is the beginning of a successful journey.
Because this is my first time at trying to burn up these stored calories through exercise and eating right to prevent the storage of a fresh supply. I am doing it.

I will NOT be above 200 again. That much I know for sure.. the rest I will take one day at a time.

idest
06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
This is my first try...

Like ~Zoë, I gained like crazy with all three of my pregnancies. I mean... from 130 to 190 each and every time. Never did anything about trying to lose it, though, because nursing seemed to do the trick and I'd be back to my normal weight within 6 months (we called nursing lip-o-suction, for just that reason!).

But that was then... (youngest is going on 15)... and I've packed weight on for other reasons... and getting it off meant reducing calories. I'm hoping this will be my first and only attempt, though I know it doesn't end. Maintaining it will be forever.

dragonwoman64
06-20-2006, 04:19 PM
at age 17, lost 100 on WW, got to 200 lbs, gained up to 240 by the time I left college.

Went up to about 280, did WW again, losing another 20 to 30 lbs.

Went back to horrible habits, gained up to 330, my highest, joined Jenny Craig, lost about 50. Moved for 6 months (a very stressful time of my life) and ending up gaining about 30 to 40 of that back.

Started on my own eating plan based on JC, and am in the 250s now. I've added real, consistent exercise for the first time this time around, and I consider this a life plan, not a diet until, which seemed to always screw me up before.

My eating was so bad, with the high cal, big meals and junk food, that I don't see myself going back to those habits. I do struggle keeping my cals low enough to consistently lose, at my age (42) I've noticed it's harder to lose the lbs than when I was younger.

It feels so much better to eat reasonably consistently, then that "pig out" to salads yo-yoing I constantly was doing. I followed a real all or nothing way of thinking. Now, I plan for days off where I can eat a treat or off plan meal. I feel much healthier, mentally and physically.

lilybelle
06-20-2006, 11:09 PM
I weighed 135 and was 5'7 when I graduated high school. By my sophomore year in college I weighed 182 and went to WW and lost down to 151. After my second child was born I weighed 237 and went on FEN/FEN and lost down to 149. This weight gradually came back on. In 1999 I went to diet doctor and lost about 30 lbs, down to 190. Hadn't really tried again til 2005 and am still trying. 87 lbs. gone with 2 lbs. left to meet my goal of 145. I am 46 yrs. old and most of my adult life has been spent being over-weight.

almostheaven
06-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I've tried, and succeeded many times. BUT...I always failed in the end as I gained back all I'd lost plus more within the year of ending my diet. This time, I've kept it off for 3 years and have no intentions of "ending" the diet. This is my DAILY diet for life. I just eat healthy and realized that's what a real diet is all about.

shananigans
06-22-2006, 05:24 PM
This is earnest attempt numero uno for me. In high school I was around 175 – 180 and so mortified by my weight that I would occasionally do crazy things like liquid diets for short periods of time (like maybe 2 days) but of course that never resulted in weight loss. I was just so ignorant of proper nutrition, and my family was certainly no help. I was going it alone as a vegetarian in a pretty carnivorous household, so you know, carbs and cheese. I remember the low-fat craze of the 90s. I was like awesome, these twizzlers are fat free! I can eat the whole bag! :p

I always dropped weight during swim season, I remember getting as low and the mid 150s one year. But I would be so thankful when the grueling daily 3 hour workouts were over that I would just go back to my slothful self right after season and gain all the weight back.

In college I sort of gave it up. I was too busy having a good time to worry about things like diet and exercise. My freshman year I maintained around the 170s – 180s range, but after that I lost track and really just let things get away from me. I never owned a car and walked around campus and to work, which probably kept me from ballooning to 300 or something, but at some point in my senior year I was nearly 220.

After college my weight dropped by itself to around 200 – 205 where it seemed to stay with no effort on my part. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was just because I stopped drinking quite as much beer. :lol:

3 ˝ years post college now and I am slowly getting it together. I finally feel like I have the resources and energy to devote to this, and I’ve taken the time to educate myself a bit. I will not be young forever and this will not get any easier, the time to do it is now.

dragonwoman64
06-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Melissa, you are one tough cookie!

dragonwoman64
06-24-2006, 03:57 PM
that's true! good perspective!

some days, though, wouldn't it be nice to have an "easy" button, like in the Staples commericals?

stephyk
12-05-2006, 03:10 PM
when I was in highschool I never really realized how much I weighed. It wasn't until I started college and lived with 4 really thin girls that I realized that I was overweight. It wasn't that they were flaunting their thinness...it was just at that point that I realized how unhealthy I was. My roommates and I began going on long walks almost everyday, and by the end of the year I have lost 30 pounds, and I kept that off for a while...when I began my second year of college I let myself go a bit, I don;t really know what happend...I walked less, but still walked, and I ate decently, by the end of the year I had probably gained 15 pounds back...not much, but very noticeable. That summer I worked at a factory to earn money to get me through my final year at college, and I lost my weight again, getting down to 167 at one point, which was quite a feat for me. I kept this weight off for a bit, and then over the winter I gained it back again. My friend and I decided to join a gym that may (2005), and I did really well. ThenI got engaged in June and from there I dont know what happened. It became so hard for me to lose wieght after that. I had a goal to look really good at my wedding, so I ate healthy and went to the gym alot. When I went for my physical last April before my wedding I was down to 176 pounds, It didn't feel like much of a feat because in 11 months I only lost 10 pounds, even though I tried really hard. After I got married in May (2006) I just gained all of the weight back that I had lost..so now here I am weighing the same amount as I did in highschool.

I have tried many times, it almost seems the more motivated I am to lose weight, the harder it is to lose it. While in college I wasn't trying to lose weight..I realized I was losing weight, but I wasn;t trying. I know that I need to lose this weight, and I have to do it, no matter how hard it is.

BlueToBlue
12-06-2006, 12:16 AM
I flirted with exercise and dieting my freshman year of college because one of my roommates was completely obsessed with it. Convinced that she would never get married if she wasn't super thin and that if she didn't get married she was a total failure. There were three of us living together and her constant diatribes about herself infected the other two of us as well. None of us was overweight and even she wasn't really serious about losing weight. We all drank a lot, ate salads for lunch and dinner, and then ate tons of junk. So I don't really count that as a diet.

After my mother died (freshman year of college, two weeks before finals), I basically ate only one bowl of cereal a day for about three months. But I wasn't trying to lose weight. I was working crazy hours as a lifeguard and swim instructor (13 hours a day most days, 6 or 7 hours on my day off, in day after day of over 100 degree heat with 80% humidity). We weren't given breaks that were long enough to get food and there wasn't any place nearby to eat anyway, so it was easy not to eat. I remember that I would get home from work exhausted and absolutely ravenous but it didn't seem worth it to eat at that point, so I would just go to bed. I would get up 15 minutes before I needed to be at work the next day, eat my bowl of cereal and head back to the pool. Sometimes I would have nachos or popcorn in the afternoon. Looking back, I think my diet was more a symptom of how overwhelmed with grief I was than anything else--I certainly could have brought food to work with me if I had wanted to. But I did lose quite a bit of weight. When I started college again in the fall, I was living in the dorms on a regular meal plan and with friends who ate normally. At that point I realized how crazy my freshman year roommate had been and I started eating regularly again. We still drank lots and ate a fair amount of junk, but at least I ate regular meals. I probably gained around 5 to 10 pounds. After my freshman year experience, I decided that focusing on dieting just wasn't healthy and refused to think about it for literally years.

About eight years ago I joined a gym, but I didn't change my eating habits. I was hoping to lose weight without having to. The crazy thing is that it was working. I'm not sure I lost any weight, but after only a few months I had started to wear clothing in a smaller size. But for some reason, I just thought they were making the clothing bigger, I did not attribute it to my workouts. So I quit going after a few months.

This is the first time I've tried dieting since my freshman year of college (I'm now 37). It turns out that, though it's certainly not easy by any means, it's also not as hard as I thought. I wish I had done it ten years ago. But I think I had to achieve a certain level of maturity before I could do this; I just don't think I had the presence of mind back then to stick with a regular diet and exercise program. I'm really impressed by some of the women (and men) who post here who are successfully dieting at young ages.

Miss DC
12-08-2006, 03:26 PM
When i first started reading through this thread i thought to myself, sure i've tried a few times, but then i stopped for a minute and really thought about it. And here’s what I came up with:

Weight Watchers
I did WW in high school with my mom. I really don't remember going to meetings but we did go in and weigh in weekly. I think I lost about 15 lbs in the end and can't really remember why i stopped the program.

LA Weightloss
I stayed on the program just long enough to buy a lifetime supply of some awful snack bar that they use and then never went back. I did end up doing my own program instead and lost about 20 lbs the summer before my Junior Year of college. That year i studied abroad in Scotland and when i first got there i did so much walking that i ending up (for the first and only time in my life) “accidentally” losing weight without trying.

The Zone
My mom and i did "A Week in the Zone" until i ended up in the hospital with an allergic reaction to Cod Liver Oil. That was the end of the Zone.

Weightloss doctor
He prescribed an appetite suppressant and B12 shot weekly and told me to eat 2 meals a day. I lost about 35 lbs in 3 months and must have been eating between 500-800 calories a day. i didn't even have the strength to exercise. i can't believe it was a medically supervised plan!

Hypnosis
I almost forgot about his one but i actually paid to go to a Hypnosis for Weight Loss seminar and bought a hypnosis tape! Hey, it helped my grandparents quit smoking 40 years ago, why couldn't it help me lose weight! While i don't think that the hypnosis actually worked the tape actually had some benefits. It was a nice way for me to really relax and focus on my eating and exercise goals for the day. Really kept me focused, but not a magic pill unfortunately.

Body for Life
I did BFL for 9 weeks while i was in Scotland. It was great and i really worked hard. I never really lost the weight i was hoping for but i was super active and really proud of myself for doing it. Unfortunately when i moved back to the US i never really incorporated back into my life. Plus, i was used to tracking the weights in kilograms, so when i got back to the states and had to use pounds i was all thrown off.

Jenny Craig
I am currently on JC now and have been for a year. So far have lost 40 lbs. I like Jenny. I thought Jenny would teach me portion sizes and give me a break from having to be responsible for preparing my own food, and it has. But that's not really what i've taken away from Jenny. I like the structure of the plan and the 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day kind of approach. And while i like Jenny, it has really been my exercise that has given me the results this time. I started working out with a Trainer 2x a week and i have been pretty steady with my other cardio for about 4x a week. It's still hard sometimes but now my default is to healthy stuff instead of junk, and that's something.

All the others
You name it i've probably tried it: cabbage soup diet, SCAN diet shakes, atkins, various over the counter diet pills, etc.

All this and i'm only 25!! God, i look back over that list and i'm impressed and embarrassed all at the same time. This is genuinely sad. I have given away years to dieting and the saddest part is that i have failed over and over. But you know what; i have armed myself with the tools to be healthy. At least i know what i'm up against. This will never be easy for me. I'll never take my weight for granted. Hopefully, i'll never get complacent, because i know weight is an issue for me.

The big difference i feel in myself this time is that i'm no longer willing to do something that i couldn't possibly do for the long term in hopes that it might have some short term effect. Everything i'm doing is something that i can maintain. And i've lost my weight slower this time which has given my head a chance to catch up with my body.

Well, i'm not sure if the above qualifies me as a professional dieter or not. I'm pretty sure not, because if i was a pro i probably would have been a little better at it! hehe.

Good luck everyone!

pockets
12-08-2006, 06:25 PM
This is my second try, kinda. I guess it would technically be my third. I was trying to loose weight when i got pregnant with my first daughter, but at that time I was at my current goal weight. I gained a lot of weight during my first pregnancy. I got pregnant with #2 in the beginning of that 'try'. Now that #2 is out I'm ready to give it a go again . . . and SUCCEED!!!