Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Lightbulb Well, I am back from the Cardiologist

I had an appointment at the cardiologist tonight. I had not been for a year, back when he prescribed my meds (I couldn't really afford it before.. it costs 150 a pop plus tests..)

Anyways.. they went to do my weight and asked me what it was. I told them that at the hospital in November of 04, it was 376 and that last jan at my last appointment, they could not weight me on the scale (it went to 350) so the nurse went with my hospital weight of 376. The nurse said, "well, we have this weight that goes on the machine that we can weigh up to 450 pounds, so hop on. I was so curious about what it was going to be. She put the weight thing on and it just dropped right down. She goes "hmm, i guess we won't need this..
My weight ended up at 323.. I have apparently lost 53 pounds.. !! Hubby was sitting behind me and he went "holy crap" out loud, it was hilarious!

The doctor was happy about the weight loss, but apparently I still have a heart murmur. He said some people justhave those and it could just be nothing.. or it could be a faulty valve, so I am a bit freaked. He tried to reassure me and told me that we needed to do the echocardiogram again, but as usual, I can't afford a test like that so he said that he wants to see me for Blood Pressure in a month and a check up in 6.. I guess he isn't that concerned about the murmur but it still has me freaked! My BP was 132/70 so the doc upped my Enaparil from 5mg to 10mg.

So,. 53 pounds!
I am worried about the murmur, so that overshadows it a bit and I was hoping to get taken off of some of the meds, because if I want to have babies, I can't take these meds but then mom said I will always have to take them..
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

One of our All-Stars was on HBP meds & she was able to go off them once she got under a certain weight, under her doctor's care of course.

Babies aren't out of the question. You just have to keep plugging away. 53 pounds in a year is nothing to sneeze at. In 10 years, it's 530 pounds!!! So count your blessings & keep working toward the greater good.

So congratulate yourself! Take pride in your loss!

If it makes you feel any better, I am on 40mg of Lisinopril.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #3  
Who needs sleep?

I think heart murmers are not too uncommon, and I think that often they never cause any problems. Now that you are aware of it, you can keep an eye on the situation.

Congratulations on the loss! That is hilarious about your DH!
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Heather that is so aweseome!!!! You worked hard and didn't even realize you had lost all of that. As for the murmur, my dad has one (apparently he's had it all his life). His doc told him it was nothing to worry about. He goes in periodically and goes through all the stress tests and scans and stuff and it's still fine.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #5  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Heather!! Congrats on the 53 pounds..awesome news!!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #6  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Heather that is so awesome!!!!! I am so happy for you

I have a heart murmur and my experience is the same as Dawnyal's dad. They are always checking it but everything is always fine. Again, congratulations on all your hard work.

Denise
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Congrats on the 53 lb loss!! Woo Hoo!!

I wouldn't stress too much over the murmur. As long as your being monitored, I think your good.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Congratulations on the loss, Heather! I'm with the others, the murmur is something a lot of people live with -- the key is to keep up with the loss and continue to make progress in reaching a healthy weight. You've come so far so real celebration is in order!! (Nothing edible, and definitely nothing salty, though! )

So keep up the good work, try not to sweat the murmur too, too much, and CONGRATULATIONS!!! Hey are you still doing the WATP? I remember back in the day that you were doing really well with it!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Heather, that's wonderful news about the weight loss!! That's so funny about your DH's reaction.

Okay, so I don't know anything about heart murmurs except that my dog has one. He's 14 now, which is getting up there for a dog, and it has never been a problem for him--he still loves to run around the dog park. So if it's anything like my dog's experience, and what other people have mentioned, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

Lots of people at my Weight Watchers meeting have reduced their blood pressure dramatically when they lost weight. Everyone got off blood pressure medication. While my blood pressure was normal when I weighed 261 (well, it averaged 120/80), after losing 80 lbs., it averages 95/65. So once that next 53 lbs. comes off, I'm betting you'll see an improvement.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #10  
Downsizing Dee!

Great job on the 53 pound loss! I don't know anyone that has a heart murmer, but there seems to be alot of reassurance here about it not being a big cause for worry.

Keep up the great work!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #11  

53 pounds WOW! That is really something to to be proud of, good for you!

Lots and lots of people have heart murmers and they're completely harmless. Liek the other ladies said, so long as you know and your doctor knows that's what's important.

I do know however that you should always inform your dentist if you have a heart murmer. It has something to do with potential infection or something.

Keep up the good work!
Punchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #12  

Thanks guys!

Someone told me that a heart murmur can be something caused when your heart valve closes twice in a row and it makes a little sound.. I dont know how true that is, i'm afraid to look up heart murmur because I will just freak myself out.

Sarah: Yes, I am still doing WATP, although I had been slacking but I picked it up again earlier this week. Now that I know I *can* actually lose weight, it has re-energized me :-)

This whole time I was like "I am not doing well, and I might have lost 10-15 pounds but as long as I have been dieting it should have been more, then to get the news that it was 53.. wow, I can actually go buy a scale that can weigh me now so I can keep track of it at home.

The cardiologist looked at my previous and then current weight and joked "next time I see you, you can be 250".. I was like "hahaha.. yeah right" He smiled and said, well before you know it , you will be under 300. I thought about that and wow, I can't imagine. I have been so big for so long.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #13  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on the 53 lbs, that is great! I'm not exactly sure why your dr put your BP meds up when your BP is okay, it is within normal range. I am suspect of that also because it sounds like he is doing it based on one reading after not seeing him for a year. When you see him next month please ask him about that. Really he shouldn't adjust your meds without seeing several readings over a certain period of time. Sorry to be going on about this but I am a RN and I am appalled at the number of medications some people take. Like I've had patients at the hospital and they are taking handfuls of prescribed meds twice a day. It always makes me wonder the last time anyone assessed what meds they are still on. Your mom is completely wrong that you will have to take this med forever. If you lose weight you might not have to take it anymore. You definately cannot take this BP med while pregnant but likely there are others that are safe during pregnancy. Keep up whatever you are doing to lose weight, it is really working for you!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #14  

Well, I had been taking BP at home and a couple of the readings were 143 for the top number and he wants to get that down a bit.

I usually don't see him that often, so I think that is why they are having me come in a month(to monitor that BP) He says he wants me to keep close watch on the BP as I losemore weight because he doesnt want it to go too low.. Usually I see him every 6 months or more :-)

I suppose if he were more concerned about the murmur, he would not let me go so long without a visit eh?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #15  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Congrats on the loss! Try not to stress over the murmur too much. I have one too and it's just something I've always had but causes no problem (nor has any problems behind it).
Best.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote