WW Clubs and Groups - Turtle Club # 32

View Full Version : Turtle Club # 32

Lin S
07-09-2001, 03:02 PM
Hi, Turtle Buddies,

Here it is - my "official" version of the fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for about two years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to learn in order to not only lose the weight, but keep it off and become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

Happy turtlin', everyone!

Lin

Lauren H
07-10-2001, 01:51 PM
Well, tonight's my first meeting. In preparation, I've eaten THREE Asian meals in the last 24 hours. I'm wearing heavy jeans. I plan to drink a glass of water and eat a bagel right before I get on the scales, and I'll probably weigh in wearing my shoes. :) Hey, I want to see a loss next week!

Now if I could just get myself to exercise.

--Lauren

Lauren H
07-11-2001, 03:19 PM
Well, I managed to pack on 9 pounds between when I weighed in in the morning yesterday to when I weighed in at my evening meeting. Wowsa. Anyway, I'll now be tracking my meeting weight, so I've bumped up my starting weight by five pounds (the real difference between my scales in the morning and WW's in the evening).

Turns out I weigh almost exactly what I weighed when I left WW almost 2 years ago. So I've figured out how to maintain my weight, anyway. But I'm VERY ready to actually lose some for a change. Worked out this morning and am eating within points. I appreciated going to the meeting; it's a nice change and a good boost to see real live human beings doing this. (As opposed to cyber beings, who are nontheless dear to me.)

How is everyone else?

--Lauren
279/229.4/207.4 (my first 10 percent goal)

Itryharder
07-12-2001, 08:36 AM
Lauren,
Good for you for getting back to a WW meeting. I think it is terrific that you are at the same weight as when you last attended WW mtgs. So many go back having gained back all they lost plus more weight. I like your enthusiasm and determination. Yes, I agree, it is time to lose weight by doing all the things we know we can do to make that happen.
I took Lin's advice to heart about letting my sister eat the NY foods she can't ordinarilly get while I eat more measured choices.
I can't say I've been perfect, but I am doing okay. Plus we shopped for 6 hours yesterday. That's got to count for something on the activity ruler! I also am contending with the very real possibility that my hormones go completely out of whack if I overindulge in fat, sugar, and salt. I got so emotional on Sunday after really eating badly. It was an overreaction so frightening that I feel part of it had to be based on a physical reaction to the foods I ate. Trust me, it puts a new light on eating if I know I can avoid those horrendous mood swings if I avoid overindulging. I weighed in on Wed. morning and I was up again. I hope this week gets me on the right track to lose some weight.
Everybody--take care. Do well and keep on turtlin'.
Judy
234/thinner;)

Lin S
07-12-2001, 05:54 PM
Hi, Turtles,

Great job, Lauren. I think it's terrific that you've maintained your weight for 2 years. How was the meeting? Do you like your leader? Was it a good experience?

Judy, I'm glad my advice helped. Food does have an affect on us, that's for sure. For me, I get to feeling awful if I overindulge in anything. I seem to need small portions and I do OK. It doesn't seem to matter to the way I feel which foods I choose, as long as I don't eat huge portions of them. But it matters to my weight loss, of course.

I got through TOM OK this month. That calcium seems to do the trick, so I'm really working at making sure I take it when I'm supposed to.

OTOH, the rest of the time has not been going as well. I'm really in the dumps since Paul has had exactly one phone interview. It's getting to be terrifying because our small stash is going away much too fast. I'm afraid it will take a miracle to keep us in our apartment past the end of July. We have nowhere to go after that. My brother is scheduled for brain surgery next Wednesday. That's also got me pretty stressed. So, keep praying, please. And send positive thoughts our way. Thanks!

I've not been doing as well with WW the past few days as I have over the past few months. My goal right now is just to continue to cook healthy meals, choose the best foods I can and not get crazy. Mentally I'm finding it difficult to focus on counting points, etc. But I'm keeping a journal and keeping up my calcium and vitamins. Doing some walking occasionally. This thread is probably the main reason I've not gone totally bananas the past few days. Thanks, everyone, just for being here.

Sorry for the kind of down post today. I know we will survive, but right now I feel pretty bleak. Talk to you all later, hopefully with better tidings.

Happy turtlin'! :)

Lin

Lauren H
07-12-2001, 08:49 PM
Lin, what a frightening time. Maybe you could work something out with your landlord? Phil's sister and her husband are always living on the edge, always about to go under. In one situation, they were able to do work in order to pay part of their rent. Also, are there any social services agencies that help people keep a roof over their heads? There must be.

Well, the main thing I want to say is that we have been praying daily for you and your family and will continue to do so. I wish there were something more we could do. We have two extra bedrooms, should it come to that. I know that's a long shot, but I thought I'd mention it.

--Lauren

Itryharder
07-12-2001, 11:03 PM
Dear Lin
You know my prayers are with you. Be strong. You have what you need to get through this awful time. I'm sending you a huge hug.
Love,
Judy

Kimmers
07-13-2001, 09:43 AM
Hi turtle buds!

Sorry it's been such a long time since I last posted - I hope everyone had a nice holiday.

I weighed in at a Thursday morning meeting last week just before leaving for Canada and was down a half-pound. Then I weighed in at a Tuesday noon meeting after coming back and was up a pound and a half. I did not go crazy in Canada, although I also did not track, but I did get lots of exercise (walking). Hopefully, this is just a temporary blip and when I finally get back to my Saturday morning meeting next week, it will be gone. I've been doing pretty good since coming back and every day gets a little better.

Tonight and tomorrow will be challenging - tonight we're staying at my brother and sister-in-law's and tomorrow we're going out for a big lunch after a memorial service. It's hard to plan when you have no idea and no control over what will be served, but I'll just do my best.

Lauren - I'm glad the meeting was positive and you should be very proud of having maintained your loss for such a long time. As you know, in Thin for Life, many of the masters lost their weight in stages, with periods of maintenance in between. You've certainly proven your ability to keep weight off. I also just got the six-month membership and I'm happy with it - it makes the meeting a painless process and is much cheaper, too!

Lin - hang in there - do you have any other family who can help you out financially or with a place to stay if you need it? Definitely negotiate with your landlord if you can and hopefully, something will get better on the job front soon. As for WW, just keep plugging along as best you can to keep yourself feeling well in this stressful time.

Harley - I like your attitiude about the gain, and with all your efforts, I'm sure it will be gone in no time.

Judy - enjoy your sister's visit and I'm confident you can make good choices while she's here. Especially, if you keep in mind how eating the wrong foods made you feel.

Everyone - enjoy the weekend and I'll check back soon.

Kimmers
332/288/269 (2nd 10% goal)

harley
07-13-2001, 11:32 AM
Hi...sorry it has been a few days..but I am back and I lost that 1 lb!!! I am so thrilled!!! I wish it was more but I am very happy bout the 1 lb. I will be camping next thur so I will not weigh in but hopefully in 2 weeks there will be a loss..Like the story goes...slower is better, and also down is better...any down (weight) is better!!!

Today will be a challange..Going to a mini quilt retreat for the day, and boy can these art quilters quilt....I don't know why I am in the group cause i am not an art quilter (just a wanta be) and I am not a great cook...These ladies are just spectacular in the kitchen..good thing they are very healthy cooks..My goal today is to eat very very small protions and stop when I am comfortable..I will try to figures out points in my head..My boss gave me her little WW compute thing which was a fun thing to get.. I was thinking I couldn't get any exercise done today or tomorrow but I just realized I could either go walking, or I could do my nordic track which is in the back yard, very dusty but after a good clean up and a wax job, I think will work great..If anyone likes a good home machine, this is the one you should get..It is a wondersul machine..unfortunetly it only works, if you work it...kinda sounds like my food plan, it only works when i work it..

I got an idea, just a small one mind you..Maybe for the ladies here who do go to the meeting, we could give a paragraph about what our leader said at our meetings, that way all of us could propser on these great people who are employed by WW and have been at goal andknow what they are doing but who never say they are perfect, and who are real people..It would also help the ladies who don't get to go...

My leader talked about how we are all winners, just by starting, by eating right, drinking our water, etc...We should be like atholets (sorry for any teachers out there,,,i have not idea how to spell it!! and no spelling thing on this site..bummer) we need aditude...Confindence, a plan, small goals, and doing it one day at a time..each day staying within our goal/points... ..something to think about hun???

Lin..I will also be praying for you...I am so thrilled to see you so focused on the food issue..doing what needs to be done and not going off the deep end..the good thing is, it is prob better money wise to do this food plan...junk food cost money and it only adds fat to our bodies and not nutrition. I hope someting pops up real fast and we are definelty thinking of you and giving you big hugs...

bye for now...

Kathy

Lin S
07-13-2001, 05:21 PM
Hi, Turtles,

Thank you all for your prayers and kind thoughts. You are all helping to keep me from going totally nuts.

Kimmers, you've done really well. I've read posts over the years in which people have gained 5-7 pounds in a week's vacation. A pound and a half is within the range of normal weight fluctuation. Restaurant food can be high in sodium, so you may be simply retaining a little water.

You have a great plan for a time when you have no control. Just do your best and move on.

Kathy, congratulations on the pound gone. Way to go! You have a good plan, too. Your quilting group sounds like fun. The ladies in the group weren't great quilters at one time, they practiced and got good. You can do it, too. And focusing on your quilting and learning from these ladies can help you to keep the food in perspecitive.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, Kimmers, both Paul and my families are facing some tough situations. No one really can help much. If Chris needs a place, my mother has one extra bedroom he can use. That will allow him to complete his senior year in one place.

We have been gathering the paperwork the social service agencies require, but it's a difficult step for us. We were raised to believe that responsible people don't need that kind of help. Intellectually, I know that's not true, especially since people don't get a job and keep it until they retire anymore. But it's very stressful, emotionally. And, of course, we will do our best to work with our landlord.

I've been doing better with WW today. I'm making good food choices. The main thing I need to do is to get in a little more exercise. When I get down I don't want to move.

I'd better get this posted before my browser dies again. I'm testing a recipe idea I had for the Pillsbury Bake-Off this afternoon. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Happy turtlin'! :cool:

Lin

Itryharder
07-14-2001, 11:39 AM
Harley,
Don't mind the spelling. No one worries about stuff like that. I love your idea about a quick synopsis of encouragement from our weekly mtgs. My leader is the trainer for Suffolk County and she deserves that position. She always knows the right things to say for encouragement and to the whiners. She's tops and I'll pass along her ideas as we keep on this path. She's been on vacation for two weeks now and boy do I miss her! Good for you that you've knocked off another pound.

Kimmers,
I'm with Lin about your weight. You did great on vacation. I used to gain a pound a day. Not terrific, that's for sure. You did very well and getting back to your Sat. WI's will get everything back to an even keel.

Lin,
Whenever I see your name here, I send prayers to you and your whole family. Having a spot for Chris is so helpful. I feel something will break for you soon and your husband will find a job or your baking efforts will pay off. This is a tough time for you, especially with your brother needing surgery, so it's easy to get down in the dumps. Would you be interested in walking to the end of the block? Sometimes just starting makes us feel better and we extend the exercise a little and then the endorphins are released and we bring comfort and good feelings to ourselves. Please don't feel sad about maybe needing a little help from social services. My brother in law just lost an important job and he's looking high and low and having very discouraging results. What corporate America is doing to good people is miserable. It's happening all over. Here's some more prayers. You've been a mainstay here, so we're all pulling for you now.

Lauren,
Glad to see your smiling face. I love that photo of you. I can sure understand loading up to face the scale at WW and I hope you have a successful week with a nice weight loss. Is the program with the new materials about what you thought? How is your leader? Good luck. I think you are smart to change what you are doing.

All goes well here. I wish I had responded to food a little better than I have. On the other hand, with all the temptations and constant barrage of food, I did pretty well for myself. My sister and I got a swim in yesterday and we walked our legs off at the malls, plus we got some good talks in. It's been great having her here. She's my baby sister and I love her very much. She's a great gal. You all take care, take care of yourselves, and keep on turtlin'

Judy 234/(I'm staying off the scale)/thinner
K:lol:

harley
07-15-2001, 11:09 AM
Hi Turtles!!! I did a turtle thing on the quilt retreat...I went skinny dippen..Yes me...I can't believe I did that...after a great lunch which I prob ate too much, this lady strips and jumps in the pool, then another and another and another...I just had to do it too, so I did..It was really exerilating...the thing I noticed, is that when you get to be as old as I am..48 ..even size 8 women have rolls and tucks, and saggings...and that was a revelation to me...I had this idea that I might get my bod to a perfect "10" but I don't think tht will happen..If I can just make this roll on my tummy get smaller I will be so blessed...I know I will feel great and get strong, but that "10 " thing stuck in my head..so smaller is good...and my goal of size 10 or 8 is good, ...

Food wise yesterday very good. Watched what I ate, didn't get to the wedding andhad to leave before the cake was cut at the shower and wouldn't of ate any anyway. I ate 1 pt morning star vegie burges for dinner with lots of other vegies. And my dessert of a skinny cow. It was a good day...(I even drank lots of water)

Well got to get lunch tog and get going..

Kathy

Itryharder
07-16-2001, 12:25 PM
Dear Harley,
Good for you for staying OP. You're doing great. I love it that you got to go skinny dipping just like a turtle.
Everybody,
Stay well and do the best you can!
Judy
234/thinner

Lauren H
07-16-2001, 12:47 PM
Harley, I love your observation about the "realness" of the size 8 women's bodies you saw. I remember in the mid-80s when I lost quite a bit of weight and got down to 124 pounds, how disappointed I was that my body still hadn't turned into a "10." I thought I needed to lose still more weight, maybe down to 102 or something. Talk about brainwashing.

What a great realization you had, that it's not about having some airbrushed-perfect body after all. And I love skinny dipping, too! I've skinny-dipped in a pool before and in the ocean -- and in a lake, come to think of it. OK, that's probably more about me than anyone wants to know!

Judy, good for you making better choices and getting all that exercise in. How long are you going to stay off the scale? I admire your tenacity.

Kim, that's great about your vacation. I know for me, the hardest part was AFTER my vacation -- for some reason, that's when I really piled on the weight. Maybe it was just delayed weight gain, but I also ate more, too. Weird. Anyway, you're continuing to do great!

Lin, how did the recipe turn out? Will you enter it? I'm very impressed with how you're handling your health right now. Just keep focusing on doing what you can.

To answer your questions, the meeting I attended was fine. Nothing radically new or earth-shaking, and in my experience the turnover rate at these is too high to really build up much of a community. Nothing like the continuity we have here, for example. That's in part because I go to a major WW center, where they have multiple meetings every day. I'm attending the 50+ meeting where theoretically everyone has more than 50 pounds to lose, but we have some women there who just have a few to lose. The leader was good, but she's just a sub. She's not sure how long she'll be there. I go at 6:30 p.m., which is a tough time slot for WW to fill in terms of leaders apparently. This leader is dynamic, has good points, gets people to talk a reasonable amount, and has kept off a loss of 36 pounds for quite a few years. I do miss my previous leader, who lost 84 pounds and kept it off for 10 years (and counting). I felt she had a better understanding of what those of us with lots to lose go through.

Anyway, I'm staying within my points and exercising, although I need to exercise more. I'm also holding lots of water; TOM is due this weekend, so I'm not sure what the scales will show tomorrow night. But I feel good about getting back in control.

--Lauren

Lin S
07-16-2001, 05:08 PM
Hi, Turtles,

Kathy, I'm glad your quilt retreat went so well. Sounds like a blast! Glad you're doing fine.

Good to hear from you, Judy. Hope things are still going well!

Lauren, I like Kathy's observation, too. I think we forget that the "perfect" bodies we're thinking we'll have came from the ones we remember. After all, what else do we have to judge what we might look like other than what we used to look like? It makes this journey a little harder because I know I won't look like I did when I was last under 200 pounds. I can't imagine what I will look like, so I just try to take notice day by day of what I do look like as I move downward.

My recipe needs a little work. There are three different types of fillings and even with chilling overnight, they're not all setting up enough to cut. I know what the problem is, but I'm not sure how much to adjust the ingredients. So, a little experimentation is in order. My chocoholic family will love testing the "failures"! Anyway, I have enough time before the entry deadline to work this out, so I'm definitely planning to enter it in the contest.

Actually, I have a file on my computer of recipe contests. I'm planning to pick some and enter them. My dh says that buying the ingredients and testing the recipes isn't a problem because "we have to eat anyway."

I hope your new leader, when you get a permanent one, is great. I'm glad you're back within your points and exercising again. Great job!

I lost the three pounds I gained over TOM so I'm back to where I started. I'd love to just stay here until things settle down a bit! I'll keep you posted.

Happy turtlin'! :D

Lin

Itryharder
07-17-2001, 09:04 AM
Hi All,
Lin, those recipes sound good. You must be so pleased to have stayed the same during these trying times. Here's another hug and lots of prayers.
Lauren and Kathy, I've skinny-dipped too, but only in a secluded pool. You guys are adventurous! Yeah, isn't it funny how we set up an ideal of perfection that is impossible to reach?
I think I first realized this when I took an aerobics class a long, long time ago. My one instructor was lanky with long beautiful limbs. She led us through our exercises and then went to have a huge ice cream cone. Our second instructor was just as fit, but had a short and very stocky and muscular build. I bet you that everyone in that class hoped that exercising would turn us into lanky, long-limbed gals who could eat ice cream indiscriminately. And yet both instructors were fit. Genetics enters into this. I love this site because it is helping me to get closer to the best I can be. I will never be 5'8" tall with long legs, but I sure can be healthier and thinner than I am now and that's a very good thing.
As far as my weight, after my sister left and I put in two good days on WW with 27 points and 24 points ( my range is 24-29) I weighed myself this morning with a happy result. I am down 1-2 pounds depending on how I count it. I am very seriously getting myself ready to try Wendie's plan. I went to the site that I was able to access from www.3fatchicks.com and liked what I read. It is true with me that in the weeks where I ate more with banked points that I had my best weight losses. I feel Wendie's plan will work for me. Certainly overeating and whining hasn't worked.
So--I am off exploring another aspect of losing weight and getting fit. I have shown myself I can maintain; now I need to lose some weight. My biggest challenge will be the low point days, but I am thinking of planning about 6 menus for those days that will keep me full and at the low point total. Wish me well because I am excited about this. I have a long vacation in the summer, so this is the time to try this.
Lauren, good for you for working the program. You'll get the exercise in because you have done so before.
I have today planned out. I have to check to see how many points to eat today.
Kimmers and everybody--good luck, continued success, and let's all do this!
Judy
234/212/thinner:cool:

harley
07-17-2001, 12:46 PM
Hi All!!!

Sounds like we are all doing pretty good. I had an ok day yesterday..actually it was a perfect day untill my husband said lets go eat out...So we did and Iwish i wouldn't have...Oh I only ate half or less of things, but...it would have been better if i would have ate at home, so I could get my vegies in, ...have you tried that quasidias receipe they give you on the 3rd week of WW? My gosh it is the best I have ever had..and only 5 pts...I am going to make one for lunch and make one to take for dinner since this is a swing shift day.

I had left over steak for breakfast today so I will be nice and full til lunch...

Now I need to ask you TRY HARDER..What is this Wendy's thing??I have not heard of this..I would really like to read up on it.

I am still feeling the excitment of going skinny dippen..It was so fun..And it was definetly in a secluded pool...owned by one of our quilt members...Her husband was out of town for the day so no men around.

Daughter & hubby are in SF today getting an interview with the Imigration SERvice so he can get his green card...They are so nervous and excited too. They have only waited 10 months for this day..(and her boss told her to postpone it casue it was not good for the dept for her to leave...Yea right) Of couse this means that they will move back into my house until they leave in Jan. and that will make the eating a challange..I am trying to think bout how I will deal with it...I know I will tellher that any junk food she brings into the house will have to stay in the trailer cuse me and Jim don't need it. We will have to get lots of fruit into the house as Andre is a big fruit eater..Jim told them the rent will for them to help with food since Andre eats so much..(he always eats our left overs from the resturant...everything except the napkins!!!) Well enough of this...don't mean to bore you...

Everyone have a nice day...

Kathy

Lauren H
07-17-2001, 02:02 PM
Hi, tortoise beings.

Lin, way to go taking back off those TOM pounds. All too often those TOM pounds don't go away at all because we give ourselves license to cheat at that time of the month. Applause for you for taking the healthy route instead and seeing results.

I am so rooting for you to win the bake-off! Can't wait to hear more as it develops. Talk about creativity in the face of adversity!

Judy, I'll look forward to hearing how you fare on the Wendie plan. It does make a lot of sense. I'd also be interested in seeing your menus for your low-point days. (I have no problem figuring out what to eat for high-point ones!)

Harley, the Wendie Plan was developed by a woman named -- surprise, surprise -- Wendie. She found by widely varying her points from one day to the next, she was able to shake up her system and break through a year-long plateau. So she eats low points one day, high the next, low the next, and so on. She uses up most of her banked points in one monster-point day, going 10 points over her maximum that day. But she's within her point range for the week. You can read more about it at her site: http://pub70.************/blightenup78347 .

I'm down a pound this morning, in spite of PMS bloat. I take that more to heart than I will my weigh-in tonight, since I so skewed the results last week in order to see a good weigh-in tonight. That sure was fun, though.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/219.5/down (morning figures)

Lin S
07-17-2001, 08:10 PM
Hi, Turtles,

Judy, I think it's too bad that so many companies that hire exercise instructors think they have to have perfect bodies. I think more people would keep at their programs if the instructors had regular, but fit bodies. Good luck with the Wendie Plan.

Kathy, I used to have that situation come up a lot--the spontaneous decision to go out to dinner. What I did was to start counting my day's points at dinner every day. Then if we ended up at a restaurant, I'd have my full day's points available. I could eat sensibly and still have enough points left for the rest of my meals. A lot of people count that way and find it helps them stay within their point range more easily.

My other suggestion is re: your impending family guests. I'd continue to prepare healthy meals and if they want to eat junk, they're on their own. You do them, as well as yourself, a real disservice if you change your way of eating to a less healthy food plan in order to be polite, nice, and a gracious host. My family knows that if they don't want what I cook, they can (and do) fix themselves something else.

Lauren, congrats on the pound! Remember, it's not the specific number that's important, it's the direction. That's what I kept in mind when I had an evening meeting. Plus, some of the stuff people did to try to get the number lower at the scale was so ridiculous, that I laughed to myself, and learned to put that in proper perspecitve. I didn't get to goal, but I sure learned a lot!

Thanks for your good thoughts re: the Bake-Off. I hope I will be eligible for the contest, but a lot depends on what happens with some of the other things going on in my life right now. If I can get some culinary training and a job in a kitchen, I will not be eligible to enter. But I could enter professional cooking contests. I'm going tomorrow to find out if I qualify for any job training like this.

We went to the Department of Social Services today. It really wrung me out emotionally to do that. I learned some interesting stuff. They have, as you might guess, some insane rules. And the form contains the penalty for food stamp fraud. It really makes you wonder about the values in our culture to learn that the fine is up to $250 THOUSAND dollars and up to 20 years in prison. You'd think it was one of the most heinous crimes a body could commit!

This is emotionally difficult, as I said, but the alternative is to give up our place and move in with my mom. (I need to vent. Thanks for listening.) I appreciate the help, but I wish she would help us the way I would help my sons if they needed this type of help. I would move the cat box and extra stuff out of the second bedroom and let my kid move his bed, maybe his TV, a chair or two, and have some privacy. But what she's planning is to let Chris sleep on the small cot in the bedroom (with the cat box right next to the bed). Paul and I will blow up an air mattress each night and sleep on the living room carpet (which still stinks of all of the years of smoking in the house. They've both quit, I think. They keep threatening to start again.) All of our stuff will be in storage. I hope we can bring our computer, but if she won't let us, we'll have to find a public library computer to use for Paul's job search. I don't know where we'll store our e-mail!

The other thing is she's informed us that her boyfriend said that the only way we can move in is if we find full time jobs--any job, no matter what it is. Paul can turn down a job if it doesn't pay more than unemployment, but I'm not allowed to turn down a job because I don't qualify for unemployment. They expect me to find a job as soon as I get back to the valley. Somehow, he seems to think that working in fast food (which is what they suggested I do) will get us out of their house faster.

They're putting conditions on us because they're punishing us for our financial situation, which they think is my fault. (Not Paul's fault because he's perfect. They're both traditional Italians who think men are like gods and women are to blame for everything.) They don't blame me for Paul being laid off. They blame me for not being able to support the family while he looks for work. They think I'm lazy because I didn't do the supermom thing and put my kids in day care while I worked. (My creative kids didn't do well in day care. We tried that a couple of times.) And then I went back to school instead of working when they got older. The thing is that I tried working. I quit and went back to school when I discovered that no one would hire me for a job that would pay the rent, food, and utilities, let alone such luxuries as toilet paper, shampoo and clothes! My boss in one job told me that I could get promoted if I got a degree, but couldn't if I didn't.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. If we can't get enough gov't help to keep our place, we'll have no choice but to move in with her. And I won't be able to enter food contests because she won't let me cook in her kitchen. Besides, she'd consider the ingredients to test recipes a waste of money we should be saving toward moving expenses when we move out. What she can't seem to understand is that we need Paul's income doubled to afford a place there. He's probably going to have to take a pay cut and I can't make up that difference without an education. This leaves me feeling a bit trapped.

A good thing is that we'll be able to go back to our church and have some of our old life that we missed since moving here again. But, if the only way to do that is to live with my mother, I'd rather stay here.

This has rambled along long enough. Thanks for listening, ladies. You kept me from eating everything in sight. I'm not following WW very well, but I'm doing much better than I ever have in bad situations before. I'm not eating a ton of junk, only a little. And I'm not gaining weight. Thanks for being here.

Lin

Lauren H
07-18-2001, 01:01 PM
Lin, I do hope you'll be able to keep your apartment, or at the very least be able to move out quickly from your mother's. At least you won't be out on the street, which is good news. We'll keep praying.

On a lighter note, I got the major giggles at my WW meeting last night when I weighed in -- and lost 5.8 pounds!! :lol: I felt a little guilty when the weigher told me what a great job I'd done, but it passed quickly.

The meeting was good -- about vegetables. I got some interesting-sounding recipes, which is helpful since I REALLY need some ideas on cooking veggies. (Lin, any thoughts?)

DH's job is becoming a political nightmare, and last night I was unable to sleep more than three hours. He's not at all political, so I've been helping him write memos. Last night we worked on one for three hours. I feel pretty wiped out today. I sure wish I had a different personality and didn't worry so much. It's unlikely that he'll get fired, but there is someone who has the power to make his life extremely horrible -- and is doing so. Why can people be so vindictive?

Anyway, turtle on, everyone.

--Lauren
274/223.6/down

Lauren H
07-19-2001, 11:26 AM
Hi, again, everyone.

After using my walk video forever (the one that says I've walked two miles in 27 minutes), I decided this morning to try walking outside and see what I could do. I walked just over 2 miles (2.1, to be exact) in about 35 minutes. So the walk video is probably a little off, since I pushed myself pretty hard this morning. I'm still happy with that pace, though, and would like to see if I can get it down to 30 minutes or less. It was a beautiful morning and a good stress reliever to really get out and walk hard. I may do it again tonight!

I had a three-point dinner last night. For lunch, I had three big pieces of pizza and a Ben and Jerry's ice cream bar! That sure hosed me for the day, but it was awfully good. (And free -- my boss paid for it.)

Hope you're all doing well.

--Lauren

Itryharder
07-19-2001, 09:37 PM
Lin,
Vent all you want. You're entitled, you deserve it, and we support you. I am sorry you are going through such tough times, and I pray that things improve soon.
Lauren,
I want to know what your 3 point meal was, please. I am in the process of writing down realistic menus for the Wendie plan in low points. Thanks for explaining this plan to Kathy because I don't know enough about it yet. It looks like it might work for me based on my experiences in the past. I spent several months on WW with even points and lost very little. Hopefully this will help.
Kathy,
Yes, please remember your daughter and her dh are coming to stay with you, so you have a big say in what happens in your home. I know you'll be kind, but don't let them accidently set you up with food. You've been doing so well and I love the excitement you have about your success. Think this through and let us know what you plan to do about their junk food, etc.
Everybody--Kimmers, Veep, Annie--Hi! Hope all goes well with you.
My computer keeps on freezing, so this is short.
Judy
234/thinner:cool:

Itryharder
07-20-2001, 09:22 AM
Hi,
We reformatted our computer and I'm hoping to get this message in:
My menus for 24 pts. are:
1muffin
1[1/4c. Egg beaters
[ 1LF cheese
1fruit
0veggie
0soup
3tuna w/LF mayo mustard
1Lite bread
0veggies
0Diet Coke
0veggie soup
1fruit
3baked potato
2Brummel & Brown spread
6 chicken or pork chop
0 veggies
2 milk/flour B&B spread sauce
0veggies
3 snacks (popcorn, or brownie, or
baked chips)

Day 2 24 points
2 oatmeal
1 1/2c. milk
1 fruit
0 veggies
1 1cup chili
2 1/2 cup rice
0 veggies
0 Diet Coke
3 milk treat w/fruit
2 fat
3 potato
6 meat/fish
0 veggies
3 snacks

DAy 3
3 egg on toast
1 B&B spread
1 fruit
0 Diet Coke
1 LF tortilla
2 LF refried beans
0 salsa
1 LF cheese
2 Baked Lays chips
1 fruit
2 1/4 c. ricotta cheese
6 2 cups pasta
0 sauce
0 veggies
1 cheese (parmesan)
3 snacks

Day 4
2 cereal
2 1 cup skim milk
1 fruit
0 Diet Coke
6 Blimpie 6" turkey hero
2 Lays Baked Chips
1 fruit
3 sweet potato
1 B&B spread
2 2 Garden Burgers
1 Bun
0 onion/tomato/ketchup
0 veggies
3 snacks

Sorry this has taken up so much room, but when I thought these through I thought they might just do the trick, especially if I drink a lot of water. I posted them because these menus might spark someone else to come up with meals they like and will fill them in.
I hope you're all doing well. Today I am going to another WW meeting to WI because we were out of town on my regular day.
Wish me luck!
Judy
234/thinner

Lauren H
07-20-2001, 11:05 AM
Thanks so much, Judy. Great suggestions; I'll save these.

My three-point dinner was:

-- One of those little pop-top cans of white tuna packed in water, mixed with gourmet hot mustard and chopped pickle (or celery) -- 2 points

-- Salad with veggies, nonfat dressing -- no points

-- Peach or other piece of fruit -- 1 point

I find those little pop-top cans of tuna to be lifesavers. My other option is 2-4 pieces of healthy choice lunchmeat, which I just roll up and eat plain. Not glamorous, but it works.

TOM finally arrived; I can feel my self de-ticking already. Thank heavens!

TGIF everyone,

Lauren

Lin S
07-20-2001, 03:28 PM
Hi, Turtle Buddies,

I haven't been able to get online for a couple of days. It's always great to catch up!.

Lauren--way to go on the 5.8 pounds. I know you're giggling because a lot of it was water going bye-bye, but it's got to feel great and keep you going mentally.

Re: cooking veggies--my best suggestion for this time of year is to grill them. If you're grilling whole veggies like corn on the cob, potatoes, etc., just clean them, wrap them in foil, and grill over direct heat. Corn can be cooked in its husk. Get the husk wet so it doesn't burn and then gril it. We like to put a little bit of butter or olive oil inside the husk/foil for corn and it comes out yummy. Be sure to turn it frequently so it cooks evenly.

If you're grilling sliced veggies, get a rack with smaller holes or make one with heavy duty aluminum foil. Just take a skewer and poke holes in the foil. Don't cover the whole grill. Brush the veggies with olive oil, flavored oils, salt, pepper, and any herbs/spices you might want to flavor them with. (You can use olive oil spray, too. )

An old Boy Scout trick that's absolutely wonderful is to hollow out an onion, stuff it with whatever you want to cook, wrap it in foil, and grill the onion like you would grill whole veggies. You can make breakfast by breaking an egg in the onion. You can stuff it with ground meat and spices. You can do the same thing with bell peppers, tomatoes, and similar veggies. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time for the type of veggie. (Tomatoes cook faster than onions, for example.)

Lauren, which walk video do you use? Do you just walk around the room? March in place? How do you do a walking video inside? I feel a little dumb asking, but I can't seem to wrap my usually vivid imagination around this concept.

I hope things get better for your dh. If they don't, is there any possibility of him finding a different (better) job?

Judy, did reformatting your computer fix the freezing up and other problems you've been experiencing? I've been considering reformatting mine, but doing it without losing all of the stuff we have is an awesome task which I dread! It will take days to back up stuff, then reformat and reload everything.
But if it will fix all the stuff, maybe it will be worth it.

Things are somewhat better. My brother came through his first surgery OK. They couldn't get it all, though, so he has to have radiation therapy to try to get rid of the rest. The main thing they were worried about was whether he'd still have full mobility on his right side, and he's fine in that area. So, I don't know if they're going to wait on the remaining surgery until after the radiation or do it then do the radiation. One good thing that's come out of his illness is that my mother and her sisters made up with each other.

Paul got a voice mail from someone who wanted to interview him, but we haven't heard back after leaving a phone message. We're going to spend 3 hours this afternoon at an orientation for our gov't assistance, so Paul left anther message and we hope to hear from him Monday. It would mean moving to Santa Rosa, a town north of San Francisco, but if it means being independent again, we'll take it.

After this weekend, when things settle down as much as they're going to right now, I'm planning to start keeping track of food, calcium, water,activity, etc. again. I'm not planning to start counting points again, yet, but I want to make sure I eat the proper balance--all the fruits/veggies, calcium, whole grains, etc. Paul and I have talked about starting to walk together regularly because we tend to just stay at home and we're feeling a bit sluggish. That's about all I can do right now. But it's better than doing nothing.

I'm revamping my recipe for the Bake-Off because I can't figure out how to keep the company's crust from shrinking. I tried the pie weight trick, but it didn't work. So, I'm using a different product and making a different dessert, but with the same filling. (Unless it doesn't work, in which case I'll start from scratch!)

Happy turtlin'! :cool:

Lin

Itryharder
07-21-2001, 09:05 AM
Lin,
Reformatting has worked somewhat. It is freezing up much less.
Now my dh is going to go back to where it wasn't freezing up at all, add back a program at a time and see if it freezes. I love modern technology except when it doesn't work. Thank God your brother came through his surgery and that your mom and her sister are talking again. I sure hope your dh's interview works out. I'll keep praying. Hey! Thanks for such wonderful veggie ideas. I love grilled veggies, but they always fall into the grill,etc.
Glad you suggested those grid thingies because that will work for me. And the onion idea is priceless. I love it. You're smart to keep on eating in a healthy way with calcium, etc. You've learned a lot about yourself and are doing great.
Lauren,
You're welcome about the menu plans. I love your 3 point dinner and it's one I haven't really used, so I'll be buying those nice little cans of tuna soon. Thanks.
Everybody,
All goes well here. I weighed in on Friday and had a 1.8 pound loss. That's nice to see. I've been OP and working my way toward gearing up for the Wendie Plan. Let's all keep turtlin'.
Judy
234/thinner

harley
07-22-2001, 02:00 PM
Hi Turtles...Kathy here, I have been away camping, feelling sad casue we didn't bring any junk food...Now isn't that the stupidest thing??? You would think I would be very happy about that..My dh did the camping shopping and I told him no junk food, so he didn't..he even bought us skinny cows...so we were suppose to eat good..except i did buy some low far animal crackers..don't know why, just felt complelled to buy them...so i ate prob more then i should have..didnt count points, but did do alot of walking /running as we took our dogs and they needed exercise so I did it..Took them to the beach and we ran/walked/played in the surf to our ankles and had a whopping good time...Just don't know if I gained or not... I hope not..I have 4 days till weight in..Do you think if I eat the Wendy's way Icould at least lose a lb??? Yes I will!!!

My plan for the week is...Plan some high and low days...use my full day on my anniversary (30 years on the 24th..) GO TOthey gym everyday day i can, drink water...eat lots of vegies, and drop the extra carbs that I am allowed to eat but will not this week...

Lin...Santa Rosa??? that is where I do my mall shopping!!! I live in Ukiah which is an hour away...how very cool...There are some nice areas in Santa Rosa. And they got 2 malls, and then on big shopping area called Montgomery Village which I don't usually go to. They have nice modern apt there too, so I don't think it is a bad move.

What is the name of your receipe??? It must be some kind of dessert??? how yummy!!!

Got to go now..

Toddles!! you turtles!!!

Kathy

Itryharder
07-24-2001, 10:44 AM
Harley,
Congrats on your upcoming anniversary. That is definitely a good day to use your high end and banked points. Your camping trip sounded like fun with all those activities. Good for you.
Everybody,
Well, I am working the Wendie Plan. Sunday was a planned high point day and we had 3 couples in for a barbecue. Unfortunately yesterday ended up being a nibbling day, so I had to get rid of the leftovers before they ended up in my tummy. Today I have all planned and I hope it will be enough to help me lose weight this week and see a loss on the scale at my Wed. WW WI. This is a short week because I had to WI on Friday last week. So, we'll see. Wish me luck.
Everybody,
Take care and keep on turtlin'.
Judy
234/thinner

Lauren H
07-24-2001, 11:31 AM
Hi, tortoises.

Judy, I'll be very interested to hear how things go on the Wendie Plan. I'm saving it until I hit a plateau, because I don't know if I could be that careful in counting points. But I've heard great things about its plateau-busting capabilities.

Kathy, the camping trip sounded fun. It is weird when we give up those crutches, isn't it? Feels like you're walking on jello sometimes.

Lin, what great veggie ideas. Thanks! I'm going to print that out and try some. As for my walking video, I use Leslie Sansone's two-mile walk video. The term "walk" here is used loosely. You march in place, walk forward and backward, do grapevines, etc. You can do the video in a small space, which makes it handy for apartment-dwellers (or people like me with a crowded basement).

I walked almost 3 miles (outside) on Saturday with no problem. Made me feel good.

Today is my WW meeting, but I might have to work late and put it off until tomorrow. This a.m. I was down 1.5 pounds, which is great. 3.5 more, and I'll be where I was before I went on vacation in May. Sheesh! It comes on fast, but taking it back off is another story.

DH took the cats to the vet last night -- and brought home another kitten!!! Talk about impulsive. She's very cute, but I just don't feel I can handle three cats right now. So I'll be taking her back tomorrow. I feel like such a meanie. But all three of our jobs are currently in upheaval (DH has two jobs), and that feels like enough stress right now.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/218.5/down -- home weight in the morning

Lauren H
07-24-2001, 10:19 PM
Weirdly, I lost 2.4 at my WW weigh-in tonight. Must be that today the TOM weight finally left. I'll take it. :)

--Lauren

279/221.2/down (WW, evening)

Lin S
07-24-2001, 11:55 PM
Hi, Turtles,

Way to go, Lauren! 2.4--Woohoo!

Thanks for the info on the video. I may look for it after my life gets back in order.

I know what you mean about taking on another cat. I love my two furry babies, but two of them are enough.

Kathy, I love your camping tale! Congrats on your anniversary. My anniversary is at the beginning of July, the 9th. We've been married 24 years.

Judy, thanks for the info on the computer. It's interesting to hear how the Wendie plan is working for you.

Well, I have some good news. Paul has had two phone interviews with the company in Santa Rosa. He really hopes to get this job. It sounds like it's exactly the kind of job, in the kind of company he enjoys. The last guy he talked with said he was going to recommend that they have him up for a face-to-face interview. So, it looks good. Say a few more prayers and think lots of positive thoughts!

For me, if I have to move, closer to the Napa Valley and the northern CA coast is one of the places that's top on my list of places to move to. The CIA has their Greystone campus in Napa. They have some classes for people who aren't professional chefs. Plus, there are a ton of restaurants. Surely I can find a job in a kitchen somewhere to get the minimum 6 months experience the CIA requires before you can be accepted into their program.

If we do move up there, maybe we can meet somewhere, sometime, Kathy. It would be a real kick to meet one of my turtle buddies in person! I surprised my dh once when we were having an "if we won the lottery" conversation. I said I'd fly my turtle buddies to San Francisco for a weekend.

The down side is that it will be difficult for Chris to move to yet another school. He jokes that at least he won't have the nickname of "that one white guy". He'll be OK. He tends to land on his feet and make a place for himself anywhere he is. He just doesn't like having to do it.

David, OTOH, is essentially gone. He's still in SJ, but he doesn't think he'll be back home at all before he moves to Southern California. It's harder than I thought it would be. I know he'll be back to visit, but it's so weird to think of him as no longer living here. I'm glad for him, but a little sad for me. I will miss him. (except for his annoying habits! :lol: But, IMHO, the most important job of parenting is teaching them to be adults and then stepping aside and letting them be adults, no matter how hard it is.

My recipe doesn't have a name, yet. I have to see if it works before I can name it. The name will partly depend on how it ends up going together. But I've run out of some crucial ingredients and need to spend my grocery cash on the basic stuff. I have time before the contest entry deadline to work on it and come up with a great name. Your guess that it's a dessert is correct. I decided to do a dessert partly because most of the ingredients I would use for other types of dishes are not available in this medium-sized town that acts like a tiny town.

Things are going OK re: WW. Not great. I'm doing some of the things I want to do, but not doing others. I know that this is just a blip in my life and when it gets more settled, it will be easier to get back on track. I get annoyed with myself because I know that I don't have to act this way from the stress and so on. But I can't seem to care right now. I know that things will change and get better, so I'm working on just hanging in there.

Talk to you all later. I want to start a new thread because this one is getting long, but I don't have a lot of time online right now. Bear with me. I'll try not to let it get too out of control before I change it.

Lin

Itryharder
07-25-2001, 09:53 AM
Lin,
Hey, I hope you do win a lottery ticket because the SF get together with the Turtles would be great! Good luck to your dh with his job interviews.
With the computer here, my dh found that the bridge CD (as in card playing, not over water) seemed to be the cause. I sure hope that is the case because the computer is sooooo much better.
Lauren,
Weigh to go with the weight loss! Great news! I am finally not dealing with TOM and honestly, it's a pleasure. I love the idea of marching around the house and that image is almost enough to make me find my Richard Simmons Dancing to the Oldies tape. I remember that it was fun and I broke out in a sweat so it had to do me some good!
Kathy,
Keep on keepin' on. You're doing great!
Everybody,
I'm off to WW WI with my wonderful instructor today. If she says noteworthy stuff, I'll jot a note about it tomorrow. All goes well here and I'm waiting a call from my son about the birth of our first grandchild. His wife is due on July 31st or Aug. 1st, so she could go into labor any time now.
I'm praying for you all and wishing us all well.
Judy 234/thinner

Lauren H
07-25-2001, 12:06 PM
I'll start the new thread, y'all.

Lin, we're praying!

--Lauren