Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #1  
White and Nerdy

S/C/G: 264/260/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Newbie (kinda)

Hi! My name is Andrea. I used to come here for a short while back in the spring, before I found out I was pregnant. At the time, a wedding was in the works, so I had other motivations.
DH and I got married early (October, we were going to get married in June 06). Our first child is due the 26th of this month! I wish she'd hurry up and come on out now!!!
I started out at almost 270lbs pre-pregnancy. I was terrified. I just knew I was going to hit 300 pounds- something about that number scared me to death!
Strangely, I have lost weight. I now weigh 240lbs (got down to 232lbs). I have just gained weight in my last two appts, and I think a lot of it is water weight (ankles? What are those- Oh! I thought those were sausages ). I'e had a hard time with the weight loss- It feels so weird to NOT be happy about the weight loss. It makes sense I would lose weight. I worked at Pizza hut until May, which is when I graduated nursing school and also became pregnant. So I was sitting on my butt a good part of the night, eating Pizza all night. Now I work as an ER nurse, working several 12 hour shifts where dinner is not guaranteed (or at least sitting down for 30 minutes to eat it). Of course I'm going to lose weight- big lifestyle change there. Most folks think it was because of morning sickness or what not- I was never really sick. Didn't have a big appetite, but not sick.
I have not been able to work out any while pregnant. I've had pretty bad hip pain most of the pregnancy- walking hurts. Sometimes my leg feels like it's going to give out on my. I tried getting in the pool, and it feels awesome! But then I have to climb the stairs to get out of the pool, and all the relief is gone.
With my due date approaching, it's time for me to really evaluate my habits, and actually start to work on those. My eating habits have been horrible. I think because I had been losing weight, I saw it as a free ticket to eat whatever I wanted. Now I need to stop that, because if not, all that weight will pile right back on. I honestly have no idea what size I will even wear when Anna's born. I started as a size 22- I can now barely fit into size 20 prepregnancy clothes. I think that has been a rough spot for me also- You can just now finally tell I am pregnant (with only 2 weeks left)!
Once she's born, I have hopes to work out several times a week. My gym has a daycare. Once she's old enough to go there, I figure I can drop her off, work out, get a shower (Mom time!) and then leave. Eating habits must change also. I hardly ever cook (once every two weeks?)- gotta stop. I am going to try and talk DH into doing WW with me. We'll see.

That was a long ramble. If you're still here, thanks! I look forward to getting to know you all!
andrea464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 272.5/266.5/135

Height: 5'6"

Andrea,

Welcome! Just so you know....your not the only one that has lost weight during pregnancy...I was 235lb when I was told I was pregnant, by my due date I had dropped to 218....my doctor kept telling me I had to gain weight....that the baby wouldn't be healthy...but Lane turned out fine and healthy....You and I are a lot alike...I'm 24 and my son was born 1/27/05...I have an older son born 6/13/01....and my hubby is 31!

Anyway, I mainly wanted to say your off to a better start than I was....I didn't think about how I was going to eat once I gave birth and now my weight is up to 247!! So stick with it....even if you dont' do WW...do something to watch what you eat!!

Good Luck.....e-mail me if ya like...I'm here for ya.

Misty
mommieof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #3  
resident lactivist

Welcome!

Y'know, if you're working 12-hour shifts that you're on your feet a lot for, then you are getting exercise.

I feel you on the hip pain though. I had such bad pelvic/hip pain this last time that it sometimes felt like I was gonna split right in two. Strange as it sounds, squatting helped some. If you've got a birth ball/yoga ball, they're pretty comfy to sit on. In fact, if you don't have one, I highly recommend getting one. It's one of very few pieces of equipment that will see you through pregnancy, labor, & postpartum.

As far as working out goes--start slow. I say this because you probably won't be able to do anything else but. Before I got pregnant last time, I was walking 2 miles a day 3 days a week & 6 miles a day twice a week. When I first started walking again about 2 or 3 weeks postpartum, I could hobble maybe half a mile. Esther's 9 weeks old right now and I've just barely gotten to where I can walk 2 miles without feeling like I'm going to fall apart. Something I learned the hard way this time is that it takes a while for your pelvis to come back together after a vaginal birth.

On losing weight postpartum: If you've got edema now, you're liable to have a huge swoosh right after giving birth. I was retaining water something horrid my first pregnancy (I had pre-E), and I kid you not I lost 21 pounds the first week postpartum, from the water retention disappearing and of course the baby and amniotic fluid and whatnot.

My first pregnancy, I went a day overdue and walked in to the hospital for my last prenatal appointment (which happened to be the same day I had her; I was induced because of the pre-E) in normal clothes. I apparently hide my babies; out of 3 pregnancies no one's noticed til the tail end of this last one. I've always explained it that people see what they expect to see, and when they look at me they expect to see a fat woman, not a pregnant one, KWIM?

Good luck! We'll all be here when you need us for support.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote