Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #1  

Default I Joined WW today.

I arrived and stood there for a minute trying to figure out what was going on. There was no greeting. Nobody offered to help me. I saw people standing in line at the counter. So, I got in line. Then a young lady hollers at me. "ARE YOU NEW"?
I said "Yes, I am." She told me to get a clipboard off the little table and fill out the information.
So, I did that and returned to the line.

This is a summary of the exchange between the woman behind the counter and me.

Her: Are you NEW?
Me: Yes. I'm joining today.
Her: Which PLAN do you want?
Me: FLEX PLAN
Her: <roll eyes> NO. What type of MEM-BER-SHIP do you want?
Me: I don't know. What are the choices?
Her: <DEEP SIGH> She points to several different posters about varying payment plans. Coupons, $9/week, etc.
Me: I'm not sure. Is it possible for me to join without making a long-term committment at first. I have no experience with the "group meeting" concept and I'd like to try it out first.
Her: That will be $15
Me: Sure thing. Do you take Visa?
Her: We take whatever you have.
I paid.
Her: Step on the scale.
Me: Ok. Let me remove my coat and step out of my mules.
Her: NO. KEEP YOUR SHOES ON. THAT WAY, You'll be SURE to have lost weight when you weigh in NEXT WEEK.
Me: No thanks. I'll take my shoes off. I'm used to a noncompliant scale. <chuckle>
Her: Take this (membership book) and go in there.
Me. Have a good one.

She directs me to a meeting. I find a seat and listen to a woman talk about being glad that she gained 2 pounds during the holidays. A man talked about how going back to work helped him stick to his plan.

I stayed after the meeting for the new member orientation.
The leader was very nice. She went thru the pre-printed flip chart. Very informative.
I asked a question. "Can you tell me about the fitness plan?" She rolled her eyes, sighed and told me that there is no fitness plan. They encourage activity, but you will lose weight even if you don't exercise. She stated that you CAN earn points for being active, but she recommends that you don't use those points. Use your 35 weekly Points allowance.

I purchased the Turn Around Starter Kit.

OK. So, that is how my first meeting went. At this point, I'm not sure if I will attend another meeting. I think I'll try to do it on my own. I have a good scale and I have the 3FC website. You all offer lots of support and you appear to be very informed about the plan.

Besides, there is a new Golds Gym Max opening here. Membership is $49 per month. I think the $$$ that I had budgeted for WW meetings might be better utilized there.

I am excited about this system and I'm looking forward to reading your posts.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #2  

Okay..first of all Hi! It has been ages since I have posted to this site but I stop by often to check out what is going on. I have been on WW since March...so far have lost 42 pounds. ANYWAY.....My advice to you would be FIND ANOTHER MEETING...NOW!!! Not everyone may need to meetings but they are the key to my survival. I know countless people who thought they coudl go at it alone, but they just fall back into the old habits without the contact with other members. I personally need to face that scale and my leader each week.

It seems like it is either hit or miss with these leaders. Either they are wonderful and inspirational, or totally suck. Thankfully my leader rocks...and so does the lady who takes your money.

WW does allow you to attend a meeting with out paying (you just can't WI) so maybe you should check out a different time/location.

Hope that helps...Good luck!!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:32 AM   #3  

Sherry, I don't live in an area that has multiple WW Centers. There are no other choices. But it really is OK. I wasn't trying to BASH WW. I was simply sharing my experience. Maybe I shouldn't have. I didn't think I was negative.

Meena, thanks. I will check out the online system. Who knows? It might work.

Thanks for replying.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Sorry you had such a lousy experience there. Those people obvioulsy don't know anything about customer service Tch!

I've been to three different meeting rooms where I live and have had two were great and one was awful (didn't like the leader there either)

I think it depends where you go but if I were you I would give it one more meeting and then see. If I got the same treatment I would write to WW and tell them - they should know that their employees are not doing their jobs properly and take steps to improve their service.

Quite a few of here are doing WW on our own so you won't be on your own here

Everyone here if very friendly and helpful so if you have any questions just post them.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #5  

I am sorry that happened to you.

If you have the option of going to a different meeting (even at the same location and a different leader), I would try that.

Regardless, I would inform WW corporate about the incident. (I work retail and don't tolerate bad service from anyone !!)

HTH ~

Karen
Old 01-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #6  

Welcome! I wanted to join WW as well, but being a full time working mother of 2, with 2 hours of commute time each day, I knew I didn't haev extra time to attend meetings. I purchased the kit online and decided to do it at home. My mother, who is also a nurse, has been doing the WW plan - successfully - so I knew I could count on her for advice and support. I have only been on the plan a week and I really enjoy it and find it quite easy to follow. I also joined the Y; it's cheaper than the other gyms, plus it is something that the whole family can do together.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
Closed Thread