Weight Loss Support - How old were you when you first thought of yourself as *fat*?

luey
01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
When I was in about 3rd grade (8 yrs old), my Grandpa came to visit. My Grandpa was a real old school kind of man, a disciplinarian who expected perfection. I jumped up on his lap, he gave a little sniff, said,

"You're getting fat!"

And pushed me off.

From that moment on, I considered myself fat, even though I was a ballet dancer until 9th grade, dancing 5 times a week. When I look at pictures of myself now, especially from before I hit puberty (and actually got chubby), I become so depressed at how bad I felt about my perfectly normal body. What kind of messages are being sent to young women? Anybody else have this kind of experience?

How old were you when you first thought of yourself as *fat*?

Luey

Grumbleworts
01-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I was in second or third grade, and I remember being in a dance recital and being very self-concious about the costumes we were wearing because they showed off my belly button. When I look at it now, i realize i wasn't that chubby....but I felt like it, because one of my friends at the time (and several of the girls in the class) was a pencil. She also had a medical condition that made it that way, but when you're that young, you don't think about that part.

Wow. Thinking about that gave me something to chew on. I haven't been happy with myself for a long time. And I too, when I look back at pictures think, geez, I wasn't as big as I thought.

LLV
01-06-2006, 10:12 PM
lol, this is going to sound weird, but not until just a couple of years ago.

I was never overweight as a child. I didn't start gaining until my 30's. Then when I got pregnant with my son, I REALLY packed on the pounds. As you can see by my sig, I topped off at 220. But even then, I never really viewed myself as a fat person. Call it denial or just plain oblivious ignorance, but one day I was sitting in my living room, on the edge of the couch, and caught a glimpse of myself in the glass reflection of the door of the entertainment center. And I was a blob. A big fat blob. And I said, "my God, am I really that fat? Do I really look like that?"

Shortly thereafter, I had a doc's appt. and he told me my blood pressure and cholesterol were both high and wanted to put me on cholesterol-lowering drugs. I had heard too many horror stories about those things and refused to take them, vowing to get my cholesterol down on my own. So I started cutting fat from my diet and at my next doc appt. I had lost 13 pounds and didn't even know it until they put me on the scale. That 13 pound loss was just enough motivation to make me take it all the way. I went online, played with several calorie calculators to find out how many calories I needed to consume per day in order to lose weight, and that's when it all started for me. 19 months ago.

I'm now almost the weight I was in my early 30's before I started slowly packing on the pounds ;)

To add, my cholesterol and blood pressure are now normal.

cadwell125
01-06-2006, 10:23 PM
it was third grade for me too. i had never thought about it because i was just a kid, but other kids started teasing me then so i soon began thinking of myself that way. i wasn't all that big, just chubbier than the other kids. an 8-year-old girl today that size would probably not even be considered overweight by her peers, because kids today eat more junk than they used to. by eighth grade though, i was for-real fat, and contnued to put on weight through high school and college.

emerald dragonfly
01-06-2006, 10:37 PM
When I was around 10 years old. My baby sister was always the "princess" of the family and could do no wrong. One day, my mom was sewing clothes for me and the dress she was working on didn't fit just right. She blurted out," Why can't you be like_________?" You need to stop eating."

To a child, it was like my whole world had ended. From then on, I was dubbed the "fat sibling."

emerald dragonfly

Heather
01-06-2006, 10:58 PM
I think I had ideas I was overweight in elementary school, but I remember the day I really *thought* I was fat. It was in summer during jr. high. I was taking a kind of summer class, and was walking to class one day, wearing shorts. As I looked at the girls around me, I realized that my thighs rubbed together, and theirs didn't and I was fat. I wasn't really, but I had noticed the differences so obviously...

Kamily828
01-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Ive always thought of myself as fat.

In the 10th grade it hit me hard when one of my male teachers told me that I had a beautiful face but needed to lose the fat. That hurt.

Danzer5570
01-06-2006, 11:14 PM
What the heck?? What a mean teacher!! That reminds me of something...my niece is 7 years old, and looks quite like a little twig. However her teacher is a personal trainer, and is always telling her class about the diet she is on - and it's new every week (hello! these are 1st graders here...they shouldn't be learning about "diets"). now my niece is saying "I'm fat" and "I'll only eat it if it's healthy for me". Yeah the healthy thing is good, but come on! She's 7 years old! She shouldn't be so self-conscious about herself at such a young age...and she certainly should NOT be saying she's fat! Ugh, this teacher just irks me.

But anyway...back on topic. I've never really been that fat, but I've always looked at myself as fat. I think it's just the way my brain is programmed or something. I see my stomach, and I think everything about me is disgusting. No one has ever told me I'm fat...in fact, quite the opposite. But I just never really believed that I looked good. I have gained weight since starting college, and I'm working on that now, as well as learning to love my body.

charliekay
01-06-2006, 11:15 PM
well when i first saw i was fat about 4 years ago,i was around 125 or 130 until around 4 years ago.

tipsygypsy
01-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Seven years old. *sigh*

cagirlygirl
01-06-2006, 11:58 PM
It was the summer before kindergarten, so I must've been 4, maybe? Man, that's lame!

I wanted a pink polka dot swimsuit (2 piece) but my grandmother wouldn't buy it for me. She made me get a stupid mork & mindy 1 piece swimsuit instead. She told me I was too fat to wear the 2 piece. I remember crying for what seemed like days, but what was actually not that long.

I still remember hating that mork & mindy swimsuit, though...

AnnieFannie
01-07-2006, 12:04 AM
I would have to say for me that it was when I started school. I was never a fat kid til I started kindergarten and then I started to pack on the pounds. I can remember being in 4th or 5th grade and wearing a size 16 in girls. I never really had a problem with it til I got in about 8th grade and then I seemed to get teased about it. So I can honestly say I don't know what I would look like at a decent weight, but I am willing to give it a try.

YP1
01-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Probably when I was about 12 or 13. I was always fairly active at junior school, and chunky but I didn't see myself as fat. But within a year or two of changing schools at 11 I was definitely realising that I was on the fatter end of the scale.

I never ever thought of myself as obese though, even when I clearly was. In my head I was fat, but not horribly so.

Thehopefulcry2
01-07-2006, 01:42 AM
When I was five *well what I can recall of five any way*. This has been a battle that is long for me. It sad to look back on those years...

nighthawk
01-07-2006, 02:07 AM
I started thinking I was fat about 14 years old looking at pictures I didn't get fat for another 10 years.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/tulip-bar/sliderbug/lb/213/145/204/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

boiaby
01-07-2006, 07:09 AM
I honestly don't remember a time that I didn't know I was fat. I think there's one family photo floating around that shows me as a "normal" sized little toehead, but I have no memory of ever being or feeling "normal" sized. My personal battle with obesity has truly been lifelong. I guess it's no wonder there's so much "head stuff" that goes into all this, huh?

Can I just say how sad it makes me to read story after story of such early discoveries, and the ignorant, thoughtless comments that prompted so many of them. How could they...??

Beverly

jules1216
01-07-2006, 08:10 AM
12 or 13 when puberty hit and I got "blessed" with hips and "thighs" and a womanly figure 36-26-36. My dad told me that I had a fat butt (not the word he used) and I needed to lose weight to look like me stick thin step-sisters who both are petite and small boned and never weighed more than 102. I was 125 at the time, just under 5'6' and medium-large boned. AT the time I could use a bandana as a belt!!!
Then again after the pregnancy and 100 pound weight gain my husband told me I needed to lose weight--I had done it with my first child (not his) and was 125 when I met him. That began a yo-yo of weight loss/gain--if I lost too much weight then he got insecure and complained and I gainned it back--very vicious cycle.
Side note--he is being supportive at this point--even told me my butt looked good in a pair of pants I had just put on--must be true because I am still over 200lbs and he keeps touching it! AT 40 Dad is still complaining that I am too fat!

teahoney
01-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Probably at about 8 years old. I had started developing then and everyone felt the need to make comments to my mother in my earshot about how chubby I was getting. I was already uncomfortable being the only 8 year old in my school with boobs and then suddenly I was so self conscious about my weight. Then there I was at 8 years old pulling out my mother's Jane Fonda tape trying to be skinny. What sealed the deal was when a family "friend" felt the need to say that is was obvious who was the prettier one between my sister and I. Needless to say, my sister was super skinny at the time.

honey-dipped
01-07-2006, 09:00 AM
I was thin all of my life--to the point where my parents would accuse me of having an eating disorder. At my lowest weight I was 130 lbs and a size 3. I gained weight fairly quickly after getting on the depo provera shot. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence that I gained 40 lbs within the 3 months that I had the first (and only) shot, but I never had weight problems before the shot.

LeslieFM
01-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Compared to my friends in Jr. High and High School. We had to weigh in gym class in front of everyone in the 8th grade, and I weighed 117, and almost everyone else weighed below 100. I was taller than everyone else though, BUT I thought I was fat. I had a really skinny friend and she used to call me fat, even though I know now that I wasn't.

I never weighed more than 145 ( at 5' 9" that isn't fat... but I thought I should weigh 115 like most of my friends in high school) my entire life until I got married, and then I gained a bunch of weight because I was depressed. My highest was 219, and after I had my daughter, I started really trying to lose weight. It is a lot harder to lose weight in your 30's than in your 20's!

Familyof5
01-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I thought I was always fat, but then I saw some pictures of me in K-3rd grade and I was think. It was 4th grade when I started getting big. I remember being a devil for halloween and it was basically a leotard and tights and my belly stuck out and it was the first time I was ever self-conscious.

By 6th grade I knew I was heavy because I weighed 150 pounds and only one girl weighed more than me in my PE class. Needless to say, the weight climbed and climbed.

mcz1970
01-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I would have to say for me that it was when I started school. I was never a fat kid til I started kindergarten and then I started to pack on the pounds. I can remember being in 4th or 5th grade and wearing a size 16 in girls. I never really had a problem with it til I got in about 8th grade and then I seemed to get teased about it. So I can honestly say I don't know what I would look like at a decent weight, but I am willing to give it a try.

Wouldn't a size 16 girls be about normal for a 4th or 5th grader?

My daughter is in 1st grade and is a 7/8.
second grade = 10 size
third grade = 12 size
fourth grade = 14 size
fifth grade = 16 size

I remember as a child being teased by the neighborhood boys. They said that I was fat. They compared me to the two girls in the neighborhood who wore SLIM sizes. The only difference between them and me is that I wore REGULAR sizes. Although the girls were a year older than me I was the same heighth, if not taller (I could do their homework too when they struggled with it, lol).

People can be so cruel! I realize now that looking back I wasn't fat, I just wasn't skinny. I was a good size. But through the teasing, I became a "self fulfilling prophecy" if you will.

Ok, where's that who do ya wanna show off to when you lose your weight thread.....

MorticiaAddams
01-07-2006, 11:55 AM
When I felt like that might have been in the second grade and never got better I was always the one who was a bit bigger then the rest. Then I remember I tried wearing a dress in the later grades and my legs rubbed together so bad just from one day at school that by the time I got home I had to walk with my legs apart because the panty hose burned my thighs.
Awful awful time. Uggh Thats when I knew for sure that I just couldnt stand that feeling.

melekalikimaka
01-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I am another one who started to "feel" fat while in the 3rd grade. I was always a bit taller than my classmates (boys included) and felt good about that. If you look at my class pictures I am always in the last row, but when my weight started to come on, I felt huge. I lived in a community of tiny little Asians and Filipinos, most of whom attain an adult weight of 95 lbs :p . My dad's side of the family was the heavy side and I took after him. Looking back at pictures, I was a little chunky, but not really fat. It didn't help that my sister right above me was a freakin' twig. She weighed all of 50 lbs in the 4th grade. I on the other hand, was already approaching 100 by the 5th grade.

I attained my adult height (all of 5' 3") by the 8th grade. I met one of my best girlfriends in the 8th grade as well. We were always about 15-20 lbs difference in weight, I was the heavier one. I remember thinking I was SO FAT at 145 lbs when she was only 130--we're the same height too. Sheesh, what I would give to weigh 145 again :rolleyes: Luckily, she is still my best girlfriend and we are still within about 10 lbs of each other. :lol: At 34 years old I am finally learning to love myself and not base my self-worth by my current weight.

kykaree
01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I've always felt as though I was fat. I was 7lb 8oz when I was born, my sister was 7lb 2oz, so I always felt like I was the fat sister. It's stupid really. I've always been a bit heavier than everyone else in my peer group. I started to feel normal in University, but then piled on the weight once I got married at 21.

Like many of you I have been the victim of unkind comments, especially from physical education teachers at high school. I'd love them to see me now, sweating out at the gym, I bet none of them would believe I work out 6 days a week!

lucky
01-07-2006, 01:37 PM
It was the summer between 3rd and 4th grade.

For years and years I held on to the memory of that summer. My mother actually took me to a "diet" center (basically a nutritionist). They weighed me and told me that I was a healthy weight and that any chubbiness would disappear as I grew a bit taller, provided I continued reasonable eating habits - fast food, junk food, etc. only occasionally. As an overweight adult I held a bit of a grudge against my mother because I identified that appointment as the point in time that I began struggling with feeling fat, even when I wasn't. After all, she wouldn't have taken me there if she didn't think I looked fat, right?

Funny story. After losing a bit of weight I confronted my mother about that summer. I thought it would help me let go of those negative feelings and have a better attitude towards losing weight. The look on my mother's face was one of horror and guilt - because I had BEGGED her to take me there. I have absolutley no memory of that. In fact, she told me that the only reason she finally agreed to take me was because she KNEW they were going to tell me that I was a healthy weight and she had hoped that hearing it from an outsider would help me believe it. She even called them in advance with my age, height, and weight to make sure her plan wouldn't backfire on her. The last thing she wanted was for us to get there only for them to say, "You could stand to lose 5 pounds." Nobody in our family had any idea that I grew up feeling this way but every one of them has confirmed that they remember me being unecessarily preoccupied with my weight at a very early age. AND they remember all the begging I did as soon as I had heard that there was a new diet center in town.

So, I don't know WHY my obsession began (like others I look back at old pictures and can see that I was never much more than chubby until I was well into college - which is when I began gaining weight for REAL). But my first memory of it is from when I was 9 or 10.

shrinkingchica
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
According to my mom, when I was 5 I came home from kindergarten one day and asked my mom if I was fat because all the kids at school were calling me that.

Less_of_Me_to_Love
01-07-2006, 03:24 PM
The first time I remember thinking that I was fat was in high school. I hit 160, and was then bigger than all my friends. (What I wouldn't give now to weigh 160 ;)!)

Although the next time I remember thinking anything about my weight was my 21st birthday, I was about 220 by that point, and I was so depressed that I couldn't wear anything to the bars and look cute. But of course, I put my weight on the back scale, after all at 21 I had a husband who loved me, I didn't need to be thin.

Then, this past summer my father found out that he had heart failure, he's only 47 and he didn't remember even having a heart attack. This scared the jeebies out of me, realizing that I'm so much more unhealthy than my dad ever was, so by mid 30's that could be me!

illinichick
01-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Ooh, this brought up a bad memory. I remember being in fourth grade and having my first "boyfriend" (you know, the kind where you have one of your friends pass all your messages because I was too nervous to talk to him myself). He broke up with me because he wanted to date my best friend, so he wrote a note with two columns comparing us. My column said "smart"; her's said "not fat". I hadn't even thought about being fat before then, and looking back in pictures, I just had baby fat on my cheeks, but I guess it started a complex... I need therapy. Kids are mean.

Smilla
01-07-2006, 05:00 PM

ScarlettDrawl
01-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Definitely middle school. Age 12-13 for me. I developed earlier than that though (10 or so), looking back I see I didn't handle it well (or the innappropriate attention from boys and grown men). I think that contributed to my gain.

GonnaLooseitagain
01-07-2006, 05:16 PM
I was around 7 or 8 and my mother saved up so I could go to summer camp for 1 week, this was HUGE since we were pretty poor. I was all excited to get there, then once I did, I couldnt make any friends and they all said they didnt want me around because I was FAT, so I spent most of the week in the barn by the horses.

LovesBassets
01-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I probably thought of myself as fat pretty early on because my mother was anorexic and what little girl WOULDN'T feel fat when her primary female role model is 5'8" tall and 100 lbs?

Other than that, my first *official* sense that I was fat came when my pediatrician told me at age 11, 5'4" tall, and 140 lbs that I needed to lose 20 lbs. I'm STILL 5'4", have reached 140 lbs for the first time since he said that to me (in 1983), and I'm a size 8. Ah, lose 20 lbs? Excuse me? Guy was a jerk.

Arian
01-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Middle school, definetly. I also know that even though I was embarssed by it, I didn;t really start to worry about it till I was about 13-14 years old.

Mel
01-07-2006, 08:08 PM
My mom wasn't anorexic, but she had to stuff herself to stay over 100 pounds at 5'4". I think I must have been switched at birth ;) My pediatrician put me on legal speed when I was 12 back in the sixties, and told me to go for a jog every night. I'm 5'3" and weighed 113. He thought I should weigh no more than 105. As Kate said, I'm STILL 5'3" and my lowest adult weight was last August:116lbs. Although I'm very muscular, now that I've gained a bit back, people are telling me I looked way too thin then. Personally, I liked it but it was unmaintainable.

Mel

Heva2015
01-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I can always remember being fat...I think I realised when I was about 5 or 6 and a horrible boy told me when he bullied me. He had started bullying me because I spoke differently to the other kids (I went from private school to a local council run school and was very well spoken) and I guess fat was just another thing to call me. I think even if I lost 140lbs I would still think of myself as fat. When I had cancer I got down to about 120lbs and still thought I was huge!

NotTheCheat
01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm another case of always feeling fat. I remember being in gymnsatics at a very young age (maybe 5 or 6) and thinking how fat I was compared to everyone else. I also think my mother signed my up for classes so that I would lose weight.

Also, I have a postcard from camp that I wrote to my mother from when I was around 8 or so. In it, I say that she would be proud of me because I was watching what I was eating and not having sugar cereals. Looking back on it now, it is just so sad to think about how much of my life has been consumed with thinking about being fat and what I was eating.

NotTheCheat
01-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Oops - somehow that posted twice!

ElisabethCK
01-07-2006, 08:32 PM
When I was 6 years old, I stepped on the bathroom scale for no particular reason and saw that I weighed 60 lbs. I was learning my multiplication tables at the time and I realized that I weighed exactly 10 times my age. I went to tell my Mom. I don't remember exactly what she said or how she looked, but I remember it was bad. I have no idea how much 6 year olds are supposed to weigh but according to her 60 lbs was too much.

This memory has been kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy because at 22 I weighed 220 and 24 I was at 240.

I honestly don't remember a time that I didn't know I was fat. I think there's one family photo floating around that shows me as a "normal" sized little toehead, but I have no memory of ever being or feeling "normal" sized.

Absolutely ditto.

Kind of off the point - but to continue with the Mom thing: when I was in high school she was always after me to lose weight. One summer she even offered to pay me $50 if I lost 10 lbs. Now I look back at pictures of me then weighing 140-150, and wonder what she was thinking. I was chubby, but definitely not fat. Maybe she was trying to prevent exactly what occured - chubbiness becoming obesity - but I have always recalled her attitude toward my weight with resentment.

dsho71
01-07-2006, 10:39 PM
This first time I really thought of myself as "fat" was when I was in college. I know that when I was in high school I was on the bigger side compared to everyone else but I never thought of myself as fat. I grew up in a small town and that may have helped but when I got to college and was on my own that is when I really noticed. I went up and down with my weight in college with my lowest being 135 and my highest being 160. Well, I just kept gaining after college and kids! :o I was so sick of it that I did LA Weight Loss and got to 140 but gained it all right back. Now I am at my biggest and hate it. I will get it off this time and keep it off. I do know that if I was growing up today instead of when I did that I would have thought I was fat in middle school instead of college. It is just so hard today for kids. I work in a middle school and see it a lot!:(

jackie88
01-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I was in middle school when i started realizing that "everyone" was smaller than I was. but in highschool it really hit me. sitting in desks was uncomfortable, not because they were too small but because I had rolls...i always tried/try to cover them up with a sweat shirt in front of me or something. Thats when i started dieting the "beginners" way. I thought I should only eat an apple and water. obviously it didnt work, and now that i'm more knowledged i am helping myself more.:)

ThunderThighz
01-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I probably thought of myself as fat pretty early on because my mother was anorexic and what little girl WOULDN'T feel fat when her primary female role model is 5'8" tall and 100 lbs?

Other than that, my first *official* sense that I was fat came when my pediatrician told me at age 11, 5'4" tall, and 140 lbs that I needed to lose 20 lbs. I'm STILL 5'4", have reached 140 lbs for the first time since he said that to me (in 1983), and I'm a size 8. Ah, lose 20 lbs? Excuse me? Guy was a jerk.

I had a similar experience. I knew I was always on the heavy side- didn't help that I was a very earlier bloomer- by eight grade I was in between a size B and C cup. Anways, I never really concerned myself with being 137 at 5'3'' until my pediatrician told me the summer after my freshman year in high school I had to lose weight because I was fat- i was appalled b/c my parents never even made that big of a deal about it. I was sooo pissed that I lost 20 pounds during that summer- felt good- especially to see his surprised look when I saw him again- ehhhh though I gained it back and some 5 years later. ;)

penpal
01-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I guess I always thought of myself as fat partly because my Dad would often call me "Bessie" (like Bessie Bunter a fat cartoon character in England). This was a term of endearment for him, but definitely sent the wrong message to me as I grew up feeling clunky and awkward.

When I was about 12 a girl in swim class told me I had "funny" feet and I never got over it! I've always hated my wide feet - it's amazing how much influence a mean spirited comment can have on a person.

In photos taken when I was young I don't look fat at all - not skinny, but certainly not fat, but that wasn't how I saw myself.

When I was 17 I weighed about 140 pounds but felt huge, even though I have a photo of me in a bikini at that age and I actually looked very slim.

BerkshireGrl
01-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Well, I started out at 4 pounds something, since I was 6 weeks premature.... stayed a skinny count-the-ribs kid till puberty... and then KAPOW! Boobs! Hips! I went into high school as a size 10, and graduated a size 16 or 18.

I definitely felt a bit chubby in high school, but even more so, like I had a bizarrely large bust! 36C! Ack!! Having a strap on my bra break while running laps in gym was fun... especially when the boys immediately started cat-calling... :mad:

But it only really mortified me when my sister's very thin and muscular girl friend made fun of a pair of jeans I had hanging off the back of my desk chair, something like "God, the *** on those is HUGE!" and my sister giggling uncomfortably. Of course this was when I was out of sight... but not out of hearing, which they didn't realize.

Ah, yeah... like with a bad home perm, braces and glasses wasn't enough to make me feel the Princess Of All That Is Hideous :lol:

Now these days, I know I'm fat, and I feel the twinges of social disapproval, or at least I imagine them in my head! But I feel a lot more confident with my breasts and hips and sexuality and all that jazz then I did in my teens and 20s!

It's a process getting to the point where I really love my body. I have had some spectacularly negative things done to me and said to me that took a while to get over... and that impressed upon me the power of the spoken word and the uncaring gesture. Things can linger for years and years. Makes me really want to change my career from Graphic Artist to Therapist or Nurse!

I must say I am AGHAST at what some of you had said to you as young girls, both from adults and children. :hug:

t0rn
01-08-2006, 12:12 AM
I think I've always thought of myself as fat. I never have been thin.. so yeah. I didn't start beating myself up over it until I was 11 though. That's when people really started making major fun of me.

Darby1
01-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Many of you have the same story as me. My mom (who was not fat) was obsessed with her weight, and always on some kind of crazy diet. One of my earliest memories is my dad making me do sit ups after dinner because I had a fat belly. I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6.

My mom would often put me on one of her crazy diets(one was eating only oranges for 3 days. I think I was 11 then). My parents were always commenting about how fat I was going to be because I had a big belly. Of course, that was only in comparison to my super skinny younger sister. I look back at pictures and I was just an average kid. I've always been taller, so of course I'm going to weigh more.

I never really got "fat" until a few years ago, but sadly I've spent most of my life thinking about it.

I don't think people realize what their words can do to a kid, especially a little girl.

Darby

PhatPhoenix
01-08-2006, 10:44 AM
30. After I had my first baby, and I shot up from a UK size 8 (US 4) to a 14 (US 10). Before that I'd been called *too skinny* all my life and people were always mistaking me for a boy. I have PCOS, but was one of the more unusual rake-thin PCOS-ers until I had my first baby - something about pregnancy then breastfeeding really threw my hormones out of sync, badly.

A year on, at 31, after 14 months of breastfeeding I was a UK 20 (US 16). I lost all the weight a year after having my third son, then had two more babies and piled it all back on.

I would have loved to have been fat - or at least had a figure, in my teen years! Then I would have been like everyone else. The irony was, years later it became the fashion to look like Kate Moss but I looked like that for years and just had the mickey ripped out of me, mercilessly, because in the 70s it was *cool* to be curvy! Just shows how superficial it all is.

PhatP x

MadamePJ
01-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Around the age of 10 I was larger than the other girls in my class ... not extremely ... but around 12 I really saw a difference.

Sheri~C
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
I was between 9 and 10 years old and I may have been 20 pounds overweight, I remember wearing a crop top and my tummy smooshing out between the top and my pants. I still remember feeling uncomfortable about that. Shortly after that I joined WW for the first time.

sf40
01-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Some of these stories break my heart ... people can be so cruel.

As a child I was called "too skinny" and my grandmother constantly told me I needed to put "meat on my bones."

When puberty hit, I got the meat all right -- on my hips and thighs. Then my family called me "thunder thighs." I don't think they meant to be mean, but teen-age girls are sooo sensitive about their appearance. So of course, from that point I felt fat below the waist (and being "flat as a board" didn't help). I ran track through my junior year so kept in pretty good shape. But after an injury, I had to quit running. That plus my part-time job at an ice cream shop caused me to gain weight my senior year of high school. I felt huge then, but looking at photos I wasn't.

I left home to go to college and actually lost weight; a lot of weight. I don't really know how, but I have some ideas how it happened and it wasn't healthy. From college into my late 20s, I managed to maintain a healthy and comfortable weight as long as I exercised a few times a week. Of course, I always felt that my thighs were too big but by then I realized that was my build.

In my late 20s and early 30s I became extremely busy with work and pretty much quit any regular exercise. My eating habits also worsened. Of course I gained weight. But after a serious health problem, I made self-care a priority and dropped down to about 140 and a size 8 to 10 with very little effort. Several years later, self-care became less of a priority and I gained even more weight.

So here I am today. I have had moments from puberty on that I felt fat. Now I know that I really am. I've known this for several years but it just seemed like too much effort to do anything about it. I recently changed my mind about that but now that I'm 40, it's a heck of a lot harder than when I was in my early 30s. I wish I had made the effort then.

Altari
01-08-2006, 11:43 PM
I honestly can't recall a time that I didn't feel overweight. As a young child, until about the age of 7 or 8, my mother would make noises when I ate. She would moo or oink, or smack her lips, and often told me I was chewing like a 'cow on it's cud.' I was always a 'bigger' kid, but it was muscle, not fat, something my dad tried to remind me of constantly. I guess a mother's words hold more weight at that age...

When I was about 10, I developed some kind of obsession with food. My mother had a fascination with dressing me like an 'adult' because I had an adult's body. My grandmother bought me cutesy two piece outfits, which looked great on me...except I was a 10 year old who looked 16. From that point on, I was extremely mindful of how I ate. All I heard at home was 'Are you putting on a little weight? You don't want to get pudgey. Boys don't like pudgey girls.'

At 12, I started putting on weight. I got heavy the Christmas break of 5th grade and remember desperately wanting to do something about it over the summer. So, I stopped eating and didn't sleep for two weeks straight - I stayed up all night exercising and planning on how to get out of dinner. I dropped the weight and then some. I stayed off until high school, when I gained the Freshman Flub. I tapered off at a respectable size 12, but always thought of myself as fat. Looking back at the pictures of me, I was frikken :hot: but could never accept it.

Then I got pregnant junior year of high school, compulsively ate to ease the anxiety and fear, gained a hundred pounds and have been actually fat ever since...

2frustrated
01-09-2006, 09:19 AM
:eek: Let me think...

I remember being taller than everyone else at junior school. WAY taller, so you'd think obviously I was bigger. i was never HUGE when I was a child, even looking at pictures I think that I was just right!

I think when I started getting pocket money I started eating sweets! We lived in the middle of 3 shops that sold sweets! They were practically next door! I was always active and riding my bike and skipping and doing kid things.

My mum was always on a diet and when I was 7 she took me to the doctors and I remember him saying I was top end of normal. I was allowed oven chips once a week and I remember being SOOOOO hungry for my lunch. I was allowed 1000 calories a day and I remember having my diet pad next to my mothers. One afternoon Mum came home with a "present" that was a calorie counting book. Right....

Probably around that time I started to get teased at school for being fat and I did lose some weight on that diet, but of course it all came back and more! It's always been the sweets that have been the problem! And the fact that I was a fussy eater and used to eat processed gunk that you oven baked instead of anything "real". I'm proud to say I've cracked the fish finger habit now though! :rofl: