100 lb. Club - Workout Clothes

View Full Version : Workout Clothes

ScarlettDrawl
01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Where do you buy your workout clothes? I always just wear a big t-shirt and some sweats but I've been finding that all that extra fabric gets in the way sometimes. I'd love to get some nice workout pants/shorts and some of those stay-dri/stay-cool workout t-shirts/tanks but I have no idea where to get them from in my size! Oh yeah, and if anyone knows of a website that sells "plus size" (I hate that term) workout clothes THAT ARE NOT ATROCIOUS, please let me know. Thanx!

cagirlygirl
01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi Shannon, :wave:

I've heard good things about junonia (they advertise on 3fc) - but haven't purchased anything from them. It seems kind of spendy, but doesn't look horrible (bonus! :D ).

I was able to find some plus sized workout wear from Target. The good news is that it's cheap and you can try before you buy. The bad news is that it's kind of hit and miss finding stuff there.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Good luck! ;)

cheers! :hat:
paula

ledom
01-06-2006, 08:07 PM
junonia would be my recommendation as well. The clothes are stylish and well made. One word to the wise, however. If you are ordering from their catalog call first and make sure the clothing is in stock. I have been disappointed more than once when they didn't. Otherwise I had no problems with their service. I agree that it can be expensive. Is there a TJMaxx where you live? They carry up to 3x where I live and I buy all my workout clothes from them. They get some really cute stuff and all the name brands.

DollyR
01-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Lane Bryant carries Danskin workout clothes. They are very comfortable but look neat when you wear them.

ScarlettDrawl
01-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to look into them.

teahoney
01-06-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm glad you asked the question Scarlett. I've been doing the same as you as wearing a big t-shirt and sweats. I've been wanted cool workout clothes too but had no clue where to get it.

Kamily828
01-07-2006, 12:07 AM
"plus size" (I hate that term)

At a clothing store I used to work at, sometimes the cashiers needed a price check. They would ask the employee in the womens department for a price on for example: pants size 24 WIDE (24W). OMG I let them know many times that its WOMENS SIZES...NOT WIDE!!!! :devil:

sabriena
01-07-2006, 12:06 PM
I hope you guys are wearing sports bras when you're working out in your big t-shirts!!!! :D You can cause injury to your breasts if you don't (believe me, I did it recently!)

I usually just workout in my sweats or capri sweats that I have and a shirt. I don't have a set workout uniform except the sports bra!

kykaree
01-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I wear GAP work out trousers or capris (I struggle to keep them for working out as they are so comfortable and look smart and in fact i am wearing the pants now!!!) In the UK we call TJmaxx TKMaxx, they are brilliant for workout clothes. Is yours like a jumble sale too??? I find it really hit and miss, but it's exciting when you find just the thing. I got some great sweat-slicking t-shirts there.

In the UK Marks and Spencer go to a UK 22 (US18) but are fairly stretchy. And occasionally you can find plus size reebok and Nike but not very often! I found it a real struggle when i first started. We don't get the Dannskin here, they look great!!!

ScarlettDrawl
01-07-2006, 03:50 PM
FYI: I went to Target today and found they had a lot of workout clothing on sale. I bought two workout "outfits" and a new sports bra for about $25 (not bad).

Nori71
01-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I also love Junonia workout pants!! VERY comfy and wear well and last a long time. Haven't tried anything else from them. I need a couple more pair and am waiting for a discount code to come up before I spend $40+ a pair. I'm very picky about the length of me t-shirt arms, so usually go with 3/4 sleeve. I love Eddie Bauer (the carry women's sizes) cotton 3/4 sleeve tees and Modern Soul tees (from QVC) for my tops. I'll be so excited to make it back into the 14/16 size range for starters so I can shop normal shops!!

teapotdynamo
01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Scarlett - I love Target workout clothes, too! I've bought much more expensive stuff, but the Target outfits I've gotten have been better and MUCH cheaper! I LOVE the ProSpirit pants. Very stretchy and hold their shape nicely, even after a workout.

treefrogtoes
01-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Ditto on Target!

Walmart carries the 'just my size' line and now they have Danskin but only up to a misses 18.

On occasion Lane Bryant Catalog will have some bike shorts or capris.

barbygirl43
01-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Since I workout at home, many times I just wear some just my size shorts (from wal-mart) and just my exercise bra (it's one I got of ebay and it works pretty well).

ScarlettDrawl
01-10-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm something of a woman obsessed. I have fallen for the ProSpirit line from Target. It's extremely comfortable! I looked at Junonia but that's too expensive (for me) to just be worn for workouts. :dancer:

suzisonthemovetolose
01-11-2006, 01:45 AM
I love target's workout clothes, too! I own a couple ProSpirit tops and then I bought some yoga pants (not sure if they are prospirit) to go with them. They are XXL and fit me just fine - and I am 6'1" and wear a size 22. The legs are even long enough! And they were so cheap! :) yay!

I recommend yoga pants for workout - because they are slightly more thigh-skimming than other kinds of pants, there is no extra fabric to creep up.

SwimGirl
01-11-2006, 01:51 AM
I work at a store that sells stuff, Aasics line, it's decent. I discovered a store in Seattle, Lucy, their clothes are definitely Lululemon style, without the price!

I second the GAP thing! Their clothes are super comfy. Old Navy has a few things here and there as well..

-Aimee

garnetfairy
01-16-2006, 01:01 AM
http://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/category.do?siteId=310&categoryId=308&page=4&link=Store_ARS_Page_4

Has bike shorts up to 4x for about $18 a pair and the shipping is very reasonable. Each purchase sends a donation to animal charities too.

or if you are into the breast cancer pink ribbon charities you can buy the bicycle shorts from them at:

http://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/category.do?siteId=224&categoryId=362&page=4&link=Store_BCS_Next_Bottom

and a donation goes to pink ribbon charities.