100 lb. Club - Thought it would take forever but...

Jenniffer
01-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't know if am the only one, but I've always had it in my head that it takes a long time to lose weight. Like, a year plus to lose 95 lbs. That would be about 8 lbs a month. BUT, I realized after watching The Biggest Loser, if you REALLY GIVE IT ALL, it could be done much sooner. Who would have thought? I don't know why I never figured it out. Probably because in my mind, it's always been out of reach. "One day" I will reach that goal.

It's so simple. The harder you work at it, the quicker you will get there. HUGE LIGHT BULB went off in my head. I am really hoping my positive attitide and determination stay awhile. I know I will have rough days. But it feels so good to be doing "the right thing" and so miserable not doing it. I just have to stay focused.

3 weeks ago, if I was still at work at 8:28 PM, me and the vending machine would be chillin'. Not tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Does anyone have a "schedule", like a goal date?

Grumbleworts
01-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a goal date of next year when my *first* start date was. I fell off the wagon big time at Christmas, but I am back on. In my head I have a halfway date of June, because I want to go to my summer camp job looking much lighter!

It helps to keep me motivated, and like you said, I'm hoping if I really work at it, I can do it fast!

Good luck!!!

mousie
01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
By next Christmas I've set the [realistic] goal of being down 50 pounds, and the [fantasy] goal of being at my goal weight. This comes with lots of caveats.

1) I tend to lose 1 pound a week, on average. Actually, a bit less (19 pounds in 22 weeks). So the first goal is reasonable. I'll still strive for the second, but I'm not going to be kicking myself or giving up if I don't make it.

2) I feel like the amount I am "giving" right now is reasonable and realistic for my life right now, and is sustainable. I am busy and I go in several directions on any one day, yet I still make time to exercise 6X a week. Granted, I don't exercise for 3+ hours every day, but my life wouldn't sustain that. I want to lose this weight doing what I can continue to do.

3) The food choices I make are choices I can sustain, also. I basically eat whole foods, minimal processed (things like peanut butter; I'm not going to grind my own peanuts, thanks! :lol: ) and cooked from scratch whenever I can. On fridays I can have a cheat meal, though, and have whatever I want. Not perfect and not 100%, not all my effort, but it works for me.

So, yeah, I see what you're saying and I do have goals. A thing to remember, though, is that that's an unnatural environment. They're been removed from their lives and situations to entirely focus on this goal. Most of us don't have that luxury, and have to "settle" for slower progress in exchange for continuing to live our daily lives.

suzisonthemovetolose
01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
My goal is to be under 300 pounds by the end of January (16 pounds to go), 250 by Tax Day, 200 by my birthday (August 3), and my goal of 185 by Halloween... but right now one day at a time is good!

ScarlettDrawl
01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Ok. So I am trying a new method this year (cause the whole "till the weight comes off" didn't work for me last year). I'm setting challenge goals intermittently (like my vday one below) with the agreement with myself to use them to push myself but not beat myself over if I don't meet them. I hope to be halfway to MY goal weight by my birthday (I'll be having a huge to-do). I haven't thought about when I want to be at goal...yet. But, hey, now you got me thinking :chin:!

missaprylj
01-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I'd love to be around goal by graduation, June 4th... but that would be about 15lbs. a month, so I'm not sure it's realistic. I have BUCKLED DOWN in 2006 though, so we shall see.... :)

cagirlygirl
01-05-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm going on a houseboat trip for a week in July with all of my friends. Last year, I was super self-conscious hanging out in a bathing suit... this year I'm gonna be in a teeny weeny bikini :o

and I'm gonna look hot! :devil:

cheers!
paula

shrinkingchica
01-06-2006, 03:43 AM
I would love to lose weight more quickly, but slow and steady wins the race every time, espcially when it comes to weight loss. The slower you lose weight: your skin can retract gradually, you are more likely to keep the weight off for good, your mind is able to adjust to the new you, and you are more apt to sustain your new and healthier style of living.
It has taken me 16 mos. to lose 88 lbs and probably will take another 13 mos. to lose the next 59 lbs (I am guessing). But no matter how long the journey takes, I will just be glad to finally see my goal. :)

kykaree
01-06-2006, 05:46 AM
My goal last year was to lose 50lbs (I lost 61) and this year my goal is to lose 50lbs again. If I lose quicker than that, fine, but if not that's ok too. My routine revolves around exercise. I have lost only a weeny bit of lean muscle in that time, which is why my loss has been slowish, it's all fat, and that's a good thing.

roundRN
01-06-2006, 10:57 AM
I'd really love to be at or near my goal of 140 by the end of June...40 pounds to go...I'm not sure if I'll make it...but I guess I'll be a lot further ahead than I am now..u know? We are going to this four day music festival (I think I've mentioned this before)....we've gone to this other years and I've always had a good time but I know I would have had a better time if I would have been thin. All of my friends were wearing short shorts and bikinis..I felt so huge and out of place. I'm not sure if I'll ever do the bikini thing but I would love to be able to wear some short little shorts and a cute cami or whatever...u know?
I've realized that I've been letting my size and my self-consciousness about my size...interfere with my life and they way I live my life. I've really noticed a big boost in my confidence even after losing the 70 pounds....think of how I'll feel at goal..I"m so excited. Exercise has been hard recently because of my back pain...but I really,really want to get back into working it hard!!! I desperately need to tone many parts.....I was kind of thinking about that too...the whole biggest loser thing and how they worked soooooo hard to lose weight so quickly. I'm ok with losing the 1 to 2 pounds a week..but I got to thinking...if I really,really stepped up my exercise...maybe I could actually be really toned or whatever. I"m starting to get into the flabby skin thing...I've lost some weight but the flabbiness remains..I know some of it may never go away but if I become "buff"..lol..maybe some of it will tighten up a little. Anyways...geeze..I'm rambling on....I must be tired. Ok...talk to you soon...
luv,
Olivia

Heather
01-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm not setting any dates for goals. I know that what I'm doing has led to a loss of about 2 pds/week lately (more at first), but my body may plateau on me, or I may run into some of life's "challenges" that slow my progress.

That being said, my next mini-goal is 20 pounds away, and I really hope I'm there by May. It may be sooner, it may be later, and I'm going to try not to be too fixated on the date, but just keep on keeping on.

synger
01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
I have tried the "high bar" goal setting method before. I get all excited about the weight loss and my new lifestyle, and I loss quickly, and I think I can sustain it. Then reality hits. Life happens, and the weight loss slow, or worse, reverses. And I get discouraged and give up.

I used to keep a spreadsheet that showed my actual weight, with a line projecting one pound a week loss, two pound a week loss, and three pound a week loss. It was more than discouraging to see those two and three pound lines drop faster and faster, whiel my actual weight hovered more around the one-pound a week line. I kept thinking "If you'd done it right, you'd be THERE on the chart." That's defeatist thinking, and it has done in more of my weight loss efforts than I can count.

So this time I am focusing much more long-term, and working on the slow-and-steady approach. One pound a week is more than 50 pounds in a year. That's do-able. THat's sustainable. And that gives me hope even when I feel discouraged.

For me, I have to have reminders of how far I've come. Like standing in line at Disney World, when it seems like the lines go on FOREVER. Part of the process of waiting, for me, is to look behind me and see how far I've come forward in line. That shows me that progress has been made. I do the same thing with my weight loss. Ticker, paper clip chains, goals and rewards... they all help us remember and celebrate our successes.

Sandi
01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
You know, every now and then I get all caught up in wanting to do this quick, right now...*poof* I'm done. But over and over I have been told by those who have lost and are maintaining that if you look at their food and exercise habits today, they are exactly the same as the when they were losing with some small increases. So my plan now is to create a lifestyle that I can live with FOREVER, like Mousie. I have always had an on or off attitude with weight loss. I would be on and "working it" like mad and then I would burn out. Although I think that kind of intensity is great, it's never been anything that I can sustane. For me, it's making choices and changes that I can stick with forever. When I am OFF plan, we eat exactly the same things over and over without a whole lot of variety. They are what we like. My hope and plan is to create the same lifestyle but have the foods be healthy and eat less of them. Create a healthy routine. I will always go out to dinner, have birthday parties and have situations that I didn't plan for.

My goal this year is to lose 120 lbs. That would put under 200 for 2007. It's a loss of 10 lbs a month. I have seen it done before and believe that if I stick with it, it can be done. I'd like to be at goal by my 40th birthday (12/12/07). That gives me 11 1/2 months to lose the last 50 lbs. I know weight loss slows down as you lose, so I think I'll need that time to get to goal. How GREAT it will be to turn 40 and be the healthiest I've ever been.

myholidayboyz
01-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Every time I say "I want to lose X pounds by X day" I fall short. Sometimes it's only a few pounds, sometimes I've never lost any weight at all. So this time around (I hate that phrase right now!!) I am focusing on eating habits and not working with a specific date in mind. Of course, that may change.

The phrase that keeps going around my head is that I didn't put the weight on overnight, it's not going to come off overnight.

barbygirl43
01-06-2006, 12:23 PM
I too am NOT setting any major timelines. I would like to be at goal by my 35th birthday (6-20-2008) so 128 pounds in 2 1/2 years I think is more than doable. My my spoiled inner child would love for me to be at 200 by the end of June for my 15 year HS reunion. I know that unless something drastic happens in my life I'll never be there. My more realistic self will set a goal I would like to be at by the end of June at the first of Feb. after I have been eating healthy and exercising for a month so I can see my pattern loss.

In all honesty, where I am mentally and emotionally right now I just want to be healthy. If that means I plateau at 220 pounds and can't lose anymore as long as I can do things in life I want to do, I'll be happy. That's not to say I won't get caught up in the #s down the road but for today I'm happy with just getting healthy and letting the weight loss be a side effect.

BethC
01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
I've been thinking about this too.

I've also looked at the people on the Biggest Loser and thought - I can do that! But they workout like 3 hours/day. Some of them, couldn't continue doing it, I think one of them developed a stress fracture along the way.

I've lost 55#s last year and I have another 55ish to go. About a 1lb/week.
When I think about this past year, I had alot of up and downs that caused my weight loss to slow down mostly. I think in the entire month of November I lost .8. But then I got my momentum back and I lost 9.6#s in December! So, while I'd like to say that I can get to goal by my birthday (5/29) or summer, I don't know that I will.

I try not to look at the big number. Right now, I'm focused on getting onderland! Then 175, then @ 175, I'll take a look around and see how much further I want to go.

Everyone had different motivations, this is just the way I see it and I wouldn't have always worked for my either.

Good Luck!

hautbois
01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm making short term goals for each season - winter, spring, etc. If I reach the goal by the end of the season, the I'll give myself a non-food reward like fine yarn (for knitting) or a manicure for example. If I fall short of the goal, no big deal. At least I'll weigh less than I did when I started the season. :) My goals are reasonable, I don't plan on rushing the weight loss. I know it will take time. I don't have a set date for reaching my goal, though it would be nice to be there by the time my dd is 2 or 3. I'll need the extra energy to chase her around ;)

Jillegal
01-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I never looked at the big number, or set a goal date ~ it was far too overwhelming! :o I would set mini-goals (30lbs. by my daughter's wedding, 20lbs. by Christmas, etc.) but just let my program work for me and concentrate on living a new way, instead of striving for a set weight at a particular point in time. As many here have said, once you reach goal it doesn't mean you'll magically stay there without working it as hard as you did to get there! While I had hoped to reach goal by now (I've pretty much maintained at 20-30lbs. from goal for over 2 years), I know my lifestyle will change very little once I do get there. So I urge everyone to enjoy, savour and celebrate each loss as it comes and worry less about how quickly it arrives and more about making real changes you can live with (for the rest of your life!) :D

YP1
01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
I've been very lucky. For the majority of last year I lost at roughly 2lb per week (edited because I put month at first, which was wrong!). But from what I've seen on here that's the exception rather than the rule, and if you expect to lose that fast you may well be disappointed. Certainly it's not necessarily sustainable to get all the way for goal - I've found myself slowing down over the past couple of months, and while it could just be down to Christmas I rather suspect it's because I just can't lose that fast any more.

I tend to take the view that the longer it takes to lose, the more entrenched your habits will be when you're done, so it's not a bad thing at all. (It's also cheaper than having to constantly buy new clothes!). As someone said, I don't intend to change what I'm doing when I get to a weight I'm happy at. I eat sensibly and healthily now, and I do exercise I enjoy, so why would I change that and risk gaining? So it doesn't really matter when that "goal" date arrives, as it's not going to change anything.

That said, I do have a date I'd like to be at goal for, my 28th birthday on 31 May, but if I don't do it, I don't do it.

NowOrNever!
01-06-2006, 03:51 PM
I have one general goal, geared to help me be successful with an activity planned for this year. I'm hiking Half Dome in Yosemite with a sister and niece the first week in August and I know that I have to lose some weight by then just to be able to handle the physical components. The interesting mental thing for me that overall, I don't think of myself as "dieting" as much as I am "training" and that includes both the food element and what I am doing with exercise (both aerobic and resistance/anaerobic). Just so I don't blow out my knees or do any embarrassing puking along the way :lol: I'd like to hit onederland by early July (at the latest) so that I can focus on my long distance training at that point. But...it's a stead process. What'd I'd REALLY like is to be in the 185 to 190 range by August, but that might be a little trickly. If I'm FIT and fairly LEAN at 199ish, I should be ok for the hike.

Other than that though, I'm not setting dates. I know that the weight loss will probably slow and be more difficult with more plateaus as I get closer to my goal. And...I want to keep that in perspective--that the REAL goal is to exercise and eat healthy and what happens on the scale will happen in its own time. Actually, I may switch to the Calorie Queens' "maintenance" approach (at least for awhile) after the Half Dome hike and allow my weight loss to slow as I concentrate more on the lifetime situation that I need to be in.

Jenniffer
01-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Very interesting. Your right, I can't devote 3 hours a day to working out. I just can't allow myself to lose 2 lbs a month. I don't want to do this forever. I know I will have slips. But if I allow myself that much freedom. I will get no where.

You guys are all awseome!

NowOrNever!
01-06-2006, 06:45 PM
I don't want to do this forever.

Hey Jenniffer--you might want to do some reading on the Maintenance thread to help understand the mindset of those folks who have been successful not just at LOSING the weight, but at KEEPING it OFF. The part that makes the difference between just losing it, and losing it and keeping it off is the realization that the changes you make ARE forever. I think that's why you're getting so many responses suggesting some degree of moderation. I totally understand that you may want some accelerated weight loss initially to help you feel better, but don't forget to take a good look at the big picture too.

Just my two cents....

Jenniffer
01-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Thank you so much for givin me a reality spankin. Your right, this is a life change, I completely agree. I know once I see some changes, I will be more satisfied. I lost 60 lbs a few years back and swore I would never regain it. Well, here I am. I am making changes that I can live with, now and days to come.

NowOrNever!
01-07-2006, 01:18 PM
It's speaking from experience for me (heavy sigh). In my 30s, my high weight was 224 and I dieted down to 184. I think I stayed there maybe 2 days before starting to regain. I knew this time going in that I had to take a vastly different approach mentally. Experience is a ***** sometimes :lol:

babyfattimes3
01-07-2006, 04:24 PM
You have a very positive out look and It will help you be sucessful way to go.
One of my favorite qoutes I use in my signature is
"If you think you can, you can. And If you think you can't you're, right."

My goal is to be under 200 by my 30th Bday on April 2nd of this year. I havent stayed on task for the last few months it WAS a reachable goal now a little unreasonable, but Im going to throw it in second gear a try my best to get there. 55 pounds to go:mad: But Im not giving up.
Kelly

Nori71
02-03-2006, 09:40 PM
I have been setting little mini weight loss goals on the calander..."X" amount of weight by "X" date...like my ticker:) ... but I'm starting to understand that "weight loss" alone isn't my goal. It's about more than the scale. I've lost weight before. I have not kept it off. My ultimate goal is to be healthy, lean and fit... so the most productive areas for me to focus on are the food choices and the exercise changes that will lead me to that long-term weight change. I heard recently (or maybe read it here??) that effective goals are specific, attainable and forgiving. Until recently I had a goal in my head to be down to 199 by July 15 - my 35th birthday - but I've scratched that "goal". I don't think it is that attainable...and possibly in order to reach it I would have had to really restrict my calories to less than is healthy. If it happens, great. If not, I know I'll be working my way there. Eating clean & balanced and exercising.
*edited for typos everywhere!! Geez, did I get them all!

goalnorolls
02-03-2006, 10:22 PM
barb I am the same way. I had goals in my sig and hadn't reached any of them as of two weeks ago. I finally buckled down and lost 2.6 lbs and we'll see tomorrow. In any case I deleted the goals and figured I'll just see where I am - I am a pound or so away from 30 lbs! :)
I don't think I have an ideal weight and I like the idea that if I remind myself about the future and how I don't want to sit there and say woulda coulda shoulda. I think I have done that every spring for 5 years.
So I am doing it, not perfect, but still doing it. If I were to lose up to my goal of 50lbs by my 33rd bday that'd be a great bday present. Gives me From now until the end of march to lose about 20 lbs. that seems pretty doable huh? :)
Which means at one year I could technically lose about 90 lbs, if I do it right. i could set a goal of 199 by Aug- my start date.

LivingWater
02-03-2006, 11:12 PM
My goal is to be able to wear normal, as in not plus size clothes by spring. It can happen. Like you said, the harder you work, the quicker it comes off. I know this by experience.

wip
02-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Interesting thoughts all. I'm with mousie and others who are looking for something sustainable. I'm not there yet. I do ok for a couple week and then my spoiled lazy inner kid acts up and I slide into old habits. Sometimes legit (like my knee flaring up b/c I pushed too hard at the gym) but more related to laziness and a long ingrained response to stress. I'm not giving up though. Everyday is a new one. I really liked the way Mousie described her process. I'll give it more thought...

SherryA
02-05-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm setting small goals that I'm aiming for with all I've got. 4 pounds then 3 then 3 more and then 4 pounds again. Every time I reach a small goal I set a new one. I do have the Valentine's day goal that I still need to lose 5 and a half pounds for. And I might set another medium range goal after I hit that one just to make sure I'm on track. My mini goals are my primary ones because I can make them fairly quickly and feel a sense of accomplishment at doing them. I try not to look too hard at the big picture.

However I DO intend to stick to this way of life until July. And I am hoping to be in th 100 somethings then. I'm aiming for 199 by July 7th. Once I get there I will probably set another 6 months away goal, and continue to pursue my little mini goals of 4/3/3. Every cycle of 4/3/3 will put me 10 pounds lower. But every 4 every 3 has significance on its own. The first one puts me below a 10 pound marker, the first 3 puts me at a 5 pound mid range point (the next three will put me at 245 for instance) and the second 3 of the cycle puts me at a 10 pounds total lost marker (since I started at 282, getting to 242 will mean I've lost 40 pounds total).

I am not looking as far ahead as getting to my absolute goal. Why? Because I don't even know if it is possible. If it is, I'm not sure what that ultimate goal should be, and like you, I don't really believe in it.

My thinnest since adulthood (or semi-adulthood, I think I was 17) was 129. I'm not sure I could even get that low at my age now. I'm not sure I would want to. I'm sure I have more muscle than that by now and I am not sure what my real "goal" should be. I do know I want to look as good as I did then, but that isn't likely either!

So instead I'm just going to do my best work and focus on my baby steps with a little intermediate and smaller than ultimate goals along the way. When I get to the smallest goal I've set, I'll set a new one.

nybor7
02-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Anytime I see any of the BL episodes, mini or regular, I am thinking man, damn, my pittly two pounds a week is nothing......if I would only push...
And, yes, if there was someone there everyday to push me and watch that I was not hurt and feed me..then I would lose faster(proof if you watch everyones progress slow when they are on their own).
I'll use the show as an inspiration on days that that will work....
I will admit though that I would love to see a 12 pound week.
Robyn

Sunrose
02-06-2006, 12:10 AM
This is such and interesting thread and really gives me something to think about. It's easy for me to get caught up in thinking about the long term rather than just taking it one day at a time, one choice at a time.

I often find myself going back and forth between wanting the weight off as fast as possible and realizing that weight loss is a learning process and I need to learn all I can before I get to goal so that I will have a better chance at keeping it off.

jen1121
02-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Here are my goal dates:

May 21- weigh 199
January 1- weigh 129

Good luck everyone and act like you are on The Biggest Loser!!!!!!!!

rabidstoat
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I always wonder about the Biggest Loser. On the one hand, it can be real motivating to see people making radical transformations and getting healthier, all condensed into the space of a few hours. On the other hand, those goals are pretty much unattainable for 99.999% of the dieting population who lack personal trainers, personal chefs, the ability to focus on nothing more than weight loss for months at a time, etc.

I wonder if that ends up discouraging some people who start eating healthier and working out, and lose an impressive 2-3 pounds a week for a few weeks, but end up thinking they're a failure because they compare it with the show.