Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #1  

Post my dr appt

I think I am really going to like it here. Thanks for all the kind words in the daily chatter thread

Well he said I have type 2 diabetes but he wants me to do diet control. I told him I have no will power and don't know if I will be able to control it by diet. He told me to take one step at a time. Sooo thats what I am gonna do. I am really getting scared about my health so it's time to do something about it.

Aug 22nd 2003 my mother passed away at age 53 from massive heart attack. She was obese and didn't take good care of herself. She also was diet control diabetic but really didn't do what she was supposed to do. She had blood pressure issues (which I dont have thankfully) but in the end I really feel like she could have done more to be healthy. Here I sit 2 yrs later after suffering the loss of her and Aug 16th of last yr loosing my own child looking at myself in the mirror and seeing my mother all over again. I am so scared and stressed....why can't I do something about it?

Today I had 2 waffles with peanut butter on them
a string cheese
a 1/2 of pear
a handful of bugles
scallopped potatoes and steak for dinner.
My big downfall is Iced tea...I drink it all day long! I have replaced some of my cups with water but bleck I hate water. I dont like fruits and veggies either. My husband is spanish so we eat tons of rice and beans.

ok I am just babbling now! Anyways thanks again for the warm replies I dont feel like such a fat pig here
lorenzo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Steps to take

Diet Control is a hard thing to do and intimidating for anyone. From previous experiences, I have learned that the first month (or two) is the hardest. After that, you figure out what you can eat and live with and it gets much easier.

As far as rice and beans, don't eliminate it altogether. When we do that, we tend to really start craving and hating our diets. Instead, tell yourself you'll have a moderate amount every Saturday (or once a week).

Fruits and veggies are a different animal altogether. If you must, grate and dice and put it in foods. Instead of visiting the grocery store and deciding what kinds you could live with eating, look at a more comprehensive list online. You might suprise yourself.

Mostly eliminate the foods that are bad for you, then slowly add the foods that are good for you.

Think about your lifestyle. Make your diet fit your lifestyle (and not the other way around).

Forgive yourself if you have days that you can't comply. Pick back up the next day. The main thing is don't let the guilt keep you down.

Log your stuff on www.fitday.com. See where your calories, etc are coming from. You don't have to match everyone else's perfect diet, you create something that works for you (after you become an educated consumer).

Hang in there, come here for support. It is doable, just takes babysteps and a deep breath to get started. After a while, I think you will find it easy to live with.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:56 AM   #3  

Default Go you for trying !!

You said that your biggest downfall is iced tea? Did you mean with suger in it? Regular tea isn't bad right? Assuming its the sugar you were talking about, have you considered sugar substitues? I know that sounds lame, but they have come up with quite a few new ones in the last few years. You could have fun with it, go out and get like 5 different kinds, and try them (they really do differ in taste) Hey, and if your cheap, you could always snag a few packets next time your in a resturant, they always have like 2 or three different kinds. Not that I'm saying go out and steal or anything, but if you buy a meal you can have a few packets : ) Oh !! and have you considered trying Green Tea? I drink it all day and I love it. ONLY iced Green tea though, it smells funky when it's hot, but cold is wonderful !!
Oh and one more thing, I have been struggling with losing weight for years, but recently I read that people who eat soup (broth) before their main course end up eating way less calories, you know cuz the liquid fills you up. Anyways, about a month ago, I made a giant pot of leak and cabbage soup, and I have a bowl before either lunch or dinner, sometimes both. Its only like 25 calories a bowl, and then I can eat something yummy, but am satisfied way sooner. Plus I don't feel deprived because I still get a grill cheese sandwich, (only 1 not 3) and feel full because of the soup. I love cabbage soup, but you could use any kind of broth or low cal soup you want.
I hope you get better, I'm so sorry about your Mom and child. I could never imagine, but no matter what happens, you are still here, and you deserve life. A good life, and I think that you can get better. You should be proud of yourself for just being on this site, and asking questions. You are on the right track.

Last edited by lindystar; 01-14-2006 at 03:08 AM.
lindystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Lori, I'm glad you got to see your doctor and happy that he said one thing at a time.

Some times being scared is what we need to get us on the right track. So you make some changes this week, and then some small changes in a few weeks and before you know it... your not feeling like a pig any more.

I drink loads of iced tea but unsweetened. I make mine fresh from teabags. It takes some getting used to but you can do it. My DH was a big sugar in the tea person, now.... its only unsweetened for him. You can even add lemon or sweetnlow if you must (but don't drink to much of that stuff...its not healthy, but a little goes a long way).

Portion control.......whats that ? If we all knew we'd all be thin right? lol.
I have no sense of it so what I try to do is keep measuring cups laying on the counter and my digital scale. Eyeballing it is a joke for me b/c my eyes like to play tricks on me lol.

Rice & beans yummmmy !!! there's a way you can still eat it. How about adding loads of veggies to the rice & beans. Its a great way to have the all the flavor and sneaking in some good veggies.

Good luck to you.... you'll learn alot here from all the different groups on how to eat healthy.

Hugs !!!

Your gonna do good...you'll see.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote