100 lb. Club - Good Luck to Howie

View Full Version : Good Luck to Howie

ChocLabLover
01-05-2006, 03:42 PM
I just wanted to post this thread to wish Howie all the best for his up and coming surgery. :goodluck: :grouphug: :goodvibes :goodvibes

newfiedarling
01-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Big, heart-felt hugs to Howie and Kimberly. We're all thinking about you!

:grouphug: :balloons: :grouphug:

~Dee

famograham
01-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I'll say it again on this thread, just so you don't miss it!!!

WE LOVE YOU, HOWIE AND KIMBERLEY!!! :grouphug:

Best of luck...and MOST positive of outcomes!

:) :hug: :angel: :cp: :high: :balloons: :goodvibes

XOXOXOXOXO
Linda

SuchAPrettyFace
01-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Here's to you, Howberley, may everything turn up roses for you!!! :cheers:

DishyFishy
01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Rooting for you! :goodvibes:

Jen415
01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Mad, mad love to ya both!!

glynne
01-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Howie and Kimberly,

Thoughts and prayers for you both. :angel: :goodvibes :crossed: :angel:

Take care

teahoney
01-05-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm sending good healing vibes on the express train to ya.

Sandi
01-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Me too!! Monday is just around the corner. I'll say a prayer that all goes well!! :hug:

frenchiepolarbear
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Maybe i missed a couple of you posts, over the fall but browsing to your web page, i understand that you are undergoing back surgery….

Whish you the best buddy!!:goodluck:

missaprylj
01-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Best wishes! :goodvibes:

Jillegal
01-05-2006, 06:04 PM
At the risk of repeating myself ~ all the best to Howberley ~ hope everything goes exactly as you wish!

jmacway
01-05-2006, 06:16 PM
prayer and good vibes are coming your way

Jenniffer
01-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Sending you our thoughts & prayers..

Stinger766
01-06-2006, 12:01 AM
You're a great inspiration to everyone here and you'll be missed during your absence. Best of luck with the surgery and take care!

Charbar
01-06-2006, 12:10 AM
May God Bless you Howie - along with the surgeons and nursing staff. God also bless Kimberly for being such a wonderful support for you. I will be praying for you.

barbygirl43
01-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Good luck howie with the surgery and with Kimberley for being there for him.

Stepping Out
01-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Wishing you a successful surgery, and a speedy recovery! :)

God's blessings to you both :hug:

SouthCajunGal
01-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Praying for you and hope everything goes well! ;)

Gardenwife
01-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Awww, thanks, you guys! We just saw this tonight. :) We've got our laptops here with us in Maryland. As a matter of fact, Howie will even have his in the hospital! The friends we're staying with have a broadband plan with Verizon and loaned him a card for his laptop so he can be online from his room. Shhhhhh. ;) Your posts are da bomb - we appreciate you guys so much!

howie6267
01-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone you are the best. It means a lot to have your support like this.

DollyR
01-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Best wishes with your surgery.

shedilbry
01-07-2006, 01:18 AM
i hope everything goes well for you guys. i'll be looking for a report soon.

boiaby
01-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Good luck you guys! Sorry I'm late to the game, but you're both always in my thoughts. Please keep us updated as much as possible, and I've got my :crossed: for the best possible outcome and a super speedy recovery.

Beverly

hautbois
01-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I'll be praying for a successful surgery and quick recovery. I'm glad you will be connected in the hospital. Looking forward to the update and hope to hear nothing but good news!

sabriena
01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Good luck and hoping everything goes well!!! :D

satylite
01-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Many healing vibes and prayers coming your way from CA for a safe surgery and the most comfortable recovery possible.

Thinking about you guys!

Gardenwife
01-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Howdy, howdy, you fabulous people, you. :carrot:

Howie was thrilled to see his Redskins win yesterday. AND he had fans to watch it with. I putzed around on the computer in the background, glancing up when they'd start shouting; it had to be something interesting if they were yelling, I figured. Shortly after I told him this, Howie shouted just to get me to look, but they were just lining up (or whatever it is they do). LOL

activeadventurer
01-08-2006, 11:09 AM
best wishes you two :hug:

Sheila53
01-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

teapotdynamo
01-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Hope everything goes well for you two in Maryland (sorry I'm late to the party, but I wasn't around most of the weekend.). You both will be in our thoughts!

Gardenwife
01-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey, friends! I'm posting from the waiting room, believe it or not. My friend brought her laptop because she needed to keep up on things at the office. She has the Verizon wireless plan and we get a signal in here. Howie is in surgery, and they made the incision at 9:15am. The surgery's slated to last 6-7 hours and he'll be in ICU tonight. They call the waiting room every hour or so with updates, and if I am not here, they have my cellphone and call me on it. I'll catch y'all later. :)

mabear
01-09-2006, 01:55 PM
good luck howberley!

:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Catherine mom to 11
mabear's homepage (http://www.plomp.com/mabear)
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar007/chick01/lb/272/155/189/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

famograham
01-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Praying, Kimberley

:hug:
:grouphug:
Linda

puff0518
01-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I know I'm late here, but just wanted to let you know you guys are in my prayers!! Best of luck!!

Ivanna B. Skinny
01-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you two...hope All is going well for Howie! I'm praying for a safe surgery and a speedy recovery!

wip
01-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Hope all went well. If all the positive vibes and prayers have any say in the matter Howie will have an awesome recovery.

glynne
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Wondering how it went for Howie today ~ thoughts ane prayers continue.

barbygirl43
01-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Just going to let you know that Kimberley posted a couple of updates over on howie's blog.
http://www.thehman.com/

Jen415
01-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks Dawnyal.....I had forgotten they were going to post there!

lessofsarahtolove
01-10-2006, 01:03 PM
I posted a comment over at the H-man blog and it's not appearing! So you two, I'm just SO RELIEVED to hear this news!!! That the surgery went so well the doc could complete the second surgery's work is just so awesome!!

Man, Howie, you are such a champion. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Gardenwife
01-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Yes, he IS, Sarah. :) I'm heading over in an hour or so, and will bring a printout of this thread. He was going to have his notebook computer there with Dea's Verizon wireless card, but says he really doubts he'd use it. I'll update the blog later.

Minor NSV for me -- I made good choices at the hospital, though I didn't really count calories. This morning on my way home, I stopped of at Micky D's to get an Egg McMuffin and coffee. While still in line after ordering, I changed my mind, jumped ship, and went on home without imbibing. It wasn't so much that I forbade myself the sandwich, but I didn't want to just seek comfort food while in that mind-numbed, tired state. That was just reacting to stress, and I don't want my first choice to be junk food. Make sense?

Anyway, I felt much better having not eaten it than I would have felt comfort from eating it. It was a heck of a lot cheaper, too! McD's is more expensive in Maryland (heck, everything seems to be!).

famograham
01-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Ahhhhhhh
Breathing a long sigh of relief!!!!!

I was thinking about you two ALL DAY yesterday...feeling anxious and the whole bit.
I'm so thrilled to hear everything went well and the second surgery could be taken care of now!
Kimberley, sending you all my love...I'm betting you'd rather be the one in the hospital bed than to see your beloved in pain.
It all gets better from here...:cheer:

Congratulations on ditching the McD's!!! An exciting accomplishment. I think I would have gone for it just for the comfort factor..but you managed to just say no...after you were already inside, no less!!!

Just wanted to say "PHEEEEEEEWWWW" I feel much better now!!! :lol:
Love you guys,
xoxo
Linda

famograham
01-10-2006, 02:08 PM
And SARAH....
Check the top of the next page back...there are a LOT of people thinking of you and wondering how you are!
We got worried..again..:lol:

Check it out,OK?
And then let us know...we just love you to damned much :hug:

xoxoxox
Linda

barbygirl43
01-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Kimberley that is a relief and look at you for not getting the McDs and realizing it was just a reaction to stress and not necessarily hunger. WTG.

Welcome back Sarah :)

jmacway
01-10-2006, 03:44 PM
It was great to read that all went well with the operations and that a second one won't be needed. How long is Howie expected to me in the hospital?
Kimberely I am so proud of you for walking out of Mc D's. Lots of prayer, thoughts and good vibes are still coming your way.

ChocLabLover
01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Awesome NSV Kimberly! :woo: It is great to hear that the surgery for Howie went well!

wip
01-10-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm so glad it went well. Way to go for leaving the not so golden arches. Try to keep looking after yourself Kimberly. Big hugs to both of you

SuchAPrettyFace
01-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Very very very VERRRRY glad to hear everything went well! :) Here's to a speedy recovery, Howie! :cheers:

Br00klyn
01-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm so happy that all went well Howie! :hug: Sorry this was very late... Life has just been insane. :D Here's to a speedy recovery!

satylite
01-11-2006, 01:13 AM
So glad to hear the happy news!

Thoughts and prayers are still with you guys.:hug:

Gardenwife
01-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Sarah - your comment didn't post because you were a new commenter and I had to approve your comment. You should be on the A-List now. ;)

I've posted yet more updates at Howie's site: http://thehman.com

Got a truly *fabulous* night's sleep, so restorative. I feel blessed. :cloud9: The Tempur-Pedic is awesome for my back, just heavenly. I know it will be great for Howie's too.

jillybean720
01-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm glad you guys are doing well and that Howie's on the road to recovery. He's at such a great level of health right now that I'm sure recovery will be a snap!

Ha, and yes, everything IS more expensive--the whole Baltimore-DC metro area is out of control :dizzy: At least it's another good reason to skip the McD's ;)

Sandi
01-11-2006, 03:16 PM
WooHoo!! So glad to hear that the surgery went well and there is no need for a 2nd surgery!!! Yippe!!! :cp:

:hug: Sending you lots of get well quick vibes! :goodvibes

Sheila53
01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh, that's such good new, Kimberley! And kudos to you for not self-medicating with food.

Hope that Howie is up and around soon and feeling so much better.

Gardenwife
01-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Thanks for your continued encouragement. We keep telling people about 3FC, especially the nurses and other hospital staff who read the article about us and ask how we did it. Y'all are the greatest!

Good news posted tonight. Go see thehman.com blog. :)

taekwondomom
01-12-2006, 02:18 AM
I'm so happy to hear that everything is going so well and the Howie is recovering so nicely! :D Yay!

howie6267
01-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Hey thanks everyone. I'm kind of in and out here but Kimberley has been keeping me up on the threads. She is such a good women and I'm so glad to see that she has not turned this in to a reason to eat.

ChocLabLover
01-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Good to see you posting Howie!

Charbar
01-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Howie, I think it's such a hoot that you are writing here so soon.. Good for you!
Kimberly- congrats on not stress eating. I know I would have been!! That reason is a great success. :dance:

oldwriter
01-12-2006, 12:13 PM
:carrot: Hurray for all your joys and progress!:dance:
Had pc trouble for awhile and couldn't get some of my pages.
So glad I found your forum. Great news-this will soon be behind you and it will seem like a diastant memory. And you gained a few inches in height too.
((((((((gentle hugs)))))))) for you both. :grouphug:

famograham
01-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Thinking about you today Howie and Kimberley..
It's awesome to see your post Howie..just so nice to see you are doing so well!!! Amazing!

LOVE YOU TWO!!!
Linda

howie6267
01-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey you can't keep a good man down. It has been awesome here at the hospital. We have been able to inspire so many this week with our story. I hope I don't come off as sounding big headed. I just love the feeling of being able to help others work toward there goals and to let them know it can be done.

lessofsarahtolove
01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Yay, Howie!!!! I'm so happy things are going so well for you!! Wow, what a relief!!

I'm just so proud of you. :hug:

famograham
01-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Howie..I have NEVER heard you sound big-headed!

There's nothing you could say to make it sound that way because, well...your accomplishments, bravery and strength are just too great...anything you say may just be an understatement!

xoxo
Linda

barbygirl43
01-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree with Linda. There is no way. Even if you were, you now have a stronger back to support that head :D :rofl:

newfiedarling
01-12-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm so excited for you both, what great news. You're both truly inspirations for us all.

~Dee

Gardenwife
01-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks, you guys. I didn't think he sounded big-headed, either. He got out of Johns Hopkins Friday evening and has been improving each day. Great news...Today we went for an honest-to-goodness walk (http://www.thehman.com/blog/archives/2006/01/getting_back_in.php)!

famograham
01-15-2006, 10:57 PM
I just checked out the blog and the pic of our NEW Howie!

You look SO fantastically straight and tall! I'm amazed at how soon you are out of bed and walking!! In my mind..I assumed that having your entire spine rebuilt would cause weeks or months in bed...it's just a miracle to me that you can be up and around already!

I am so completely THRILLED to know that so much pain (physical and emotional) will be relieved for both of you. To be able to go for a walk together sounds so simple..and something that most of us take for granted every day.

I just want you both to know how much I truly care about you..and how deeply happy I am for you both :hug:

xoxoxo
Linda

Gardenwife
01-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks so much, Linda. :) Today's kinda rough - He inadvertantly overlapped his dose of painkiller dose early this morning, so he's been feeling kind of queasy and clammy today. It's getting better, but he's still not feeling great. The long line of staples down his back is really irritating when he sits for long, too, so he's lying down a lot today. He worries so about doing something to hurt his back; he worried when he had his first surgery, too. I wish I could ease his mind.

famograham
01-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Eek!
Sorry to hear that, Kimberley...the meds should regulate in a few hours and then he'll feel a bit better.

How long do you have to wait to get those nasty staples out? I'll bet that will be a good day afterwards :)

Sorry to hear it's a down day..but it will be over soon and I'm sure tomorrow will be better :)

Linda

ChocLabLover
01-17-2006, 07:53 AM
All the best to you and Howie, Kimberly! :hug: I also went on the blog today, and you guys look great. At the rate you are going Howie, you will be jogging soon! ;)

Gardenwife
01-17-2006, 09:22 AM
He gets the staples out in about a week. Yeah, it will be a great day. The incision's itching, so that's good - means healing. :) We both do feel better today, and we're getting ready to take a walk. The PT called and said they'd be out tomorrow unless someone can fill in and take his slot today. Might as well walk!

Jillegal
01-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Great to see you up and about and looking so happy (both of you!) :)

Gardenwife
01-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, he's back down in bed. It's such a roller coaster for the poor guy. :( I think he might have a spinal headache from that dural tear. We have a call in to the doctor's office about that and for scheduling his 5-week follow-up appointment. He has a headache, is nauseated and feels light-headed, but feels better when he's lying down. I wish there was something else I could do for him.

Eating-wise, we're doing great. There is such an abundance of really good food here, and it's all healthy stuff to choose from. What a blessing that is.

Gardenwife
01-17-2006, 02:07 PM
The surgeon says he's to do absolutely nothing until tomorrow, to stay flat on his back in bed. If he doesn't feel better tomorrow, we're to drive back into the ER there in Baltimore so they can do a blood patch. It's the same procedure he had to have done back in September before we flew out here. We're hoping the inactivity will give any tear a chance to heal up and he won't have to go back in there -- it's a long, long ride. :P

Stepping Out
01-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Sending up prayers for both of you! :angel: :grouphug:

Gardenwife
01-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Your prayers are much appreciated; he's having a rough night because of having to lie flat. His hips and back are really painful. Sure wish I could do more for him.

boiaby
01-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Oh Howie, sending you and Kimberley my love.:hug: Be well my friend.

Beverly

Charles78
01-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Here is to a quick and complete recovery!

Gardenwife
01-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks you guys. :) (((hugs)))

He was up and in the shower before I batted an eye. We'll see how he feels after he's up for a while and go from there.

frenchiepolarbear
01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Just stepping by to say hi! :wave:

Bear in mind that the ups and downs you’ve had following your operation were to be expected. That was not a minor thing; so don’t give up!!

barbygirl43
01-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I hope he's feeling a lot better.

irishgreengables
01-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Thinking about you guys. I can;t believe all the stuff surroundign the surgery. Such an ordeal -- once that you both seem to be taking in stride, despite the rough spots.

I bought Your Diet yesterday BTW -- so cool to see you in print! Despite the mistakes they made, I thought it was an inspiring article.

famograham
01-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Sending my love today, for both of you.
Good luck with the blood patch.

:grouphug: :hug: :)
Linda

Sandi
01-18-2006, 01:42 PM
:hug: So sorry to hear he's having a rough time. Poor thing!! Feel better soon Howie!!!!!

Sheila53
01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Shoot, I just read where he's having some pain and problems. I hope he's feeling better today and able to get up and around. Good for you guys on eating healthy foods during this stressful time.

I have looked in about every store in my town, and have not found a copy of Your Diet. I'm bummed about that.

barbygirl43
01-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Sheila--I was having the same problem. I forgot that wal-mart has a separate section of magazines over with the cards and not just the magazines at the checkouts. I found one easily there. HTH

cagirlygirl
01-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I found it at Target last night, and picked up a copy. I also dug the stack out from behind a gazillion other magazines and plopped it down front and center on the top shelf - just about eye-level, for good measure. :D

Dawnyal - that is one super snazzy :cool: new signature you've got there. Love it!

cheers! :hat:
paula

Sheila53
01-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Dawnyal. No Wal-Mart in my town, though, or Target. I've hit three of the four grocery stores and one of the two drug stores. Still have one more grocery store to check and one more drugstore.

Gardenwife
01-18-2006, 04:55 PM
We're glad the article is encouraging people - that's why we did it. :)

It's been another boring, wait-and-see day here, I'm afraid; Howie's to be in bed another night, flat on his back. This waiting just stinks. Howie'd rather take the conservative approach and lay around another night than have to have the long drive and procedure...But how many on again, off again days are there going to be before we know he won't need the patch? Blargh.

He's a lot more easygoing than I am. LOL That's why we're together, to balance each other out, I reckon.

ChocLabLover
01-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Just sending out some :goodvibes:!

Gardenwife
01-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Yay, Howie can get up at noon as long as he takes it easy. I have to drive into Johns Hopkins to pick up a script for a refill of oxycodone -- wish we'd known they don't call it in, or we'd have asked for it Monday. He runs out today, so there's no waiting for the script to come in the mail tomorrow or Friday. Ah well!

newfiedarling
01-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Yay for Howie, and to you for being so good to him!! Good to hear he'll be up and around today.

~Dee

~~Sunshine~~
01-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Glad things are going well!!

~~Sunshine~~
01-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Glad things are going well!!

cambri
01-19-2006, 10:51 AM
This is great. Congrats! =]

SuchAPrettyFace
01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Glad he is feeling better, that sucks you have to drive back there!!!

Sending :hug: 's for both of you!!!

Gardenwife
01-22-2006, 11:17 AM
His chills all this week were likely caused by a fever...And that caused by a UTI. We made one trip to the ER to have his staples removed, and a while after we got home he started having bad chills. I took his temp and it was 102. Back to the ER we went last night and the doctor said his urine test strip was "markedly positive". So, he's on Cipro now. We're still planning on leaving tomorrow, but if he's still feeling puny, I'm going to delay our departure until Tuesday. I'm the driver, after all. ;)

DishyFishy
01-22-2006, 12:07 PM
More :goodvibes: to you both.

howie6267
01-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey everyone. I'm feeling much better today. I've not been posting or emailing much at all lately. So hopefully after we home and get settled I will be back around here. Thanks for all the kind words. You guys are the best.

famograham
01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
:hug: Love you guys! :hug:

Hang in there.

xoxoxo
Linda

Gardenwife
01-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks...We love you all, too. How wonderful to be able to take our friends with us wherever we go. :D

Tomorrow it is, and the van's mostly packed except for a few tender houseplants I brought with me and don't want to leave out there in 30-something temps tonight.

We're planning to leave around 9 or 10am and we'll check in with y'all once we're home.

DollyR
01-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Best of luck to you both. Be safe and get well.

newfiedarling
01-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Have a safe trip home.

~Dee

ChocLabLover
01-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Safe trip home! :hug:

barbygirl43
01-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Good luck and I'm wishing y'all a safe trip.

Gardenwife
01-23-2006, 07:32 PM
We left at 10:15am and made it home right at 4:30pm, making great time! We only stopped twice, once for lunch (McD's...Don't ask. LOL) and the other to buy gasoline. It was a total treat day. It's GOOD to be home, to everything familiar, family, friends, and...Most of all, normalcy. It will be good to get into our old eating routine again. :)

famograham
01-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Ahhh, so happy to hear that you're home safe :)

Now sleeeeeep...it will be so nice to wake up in your own bed tomorrow!

So do you plan to drive alll the way back for the five week appt, and then the one after that too?

:hug: :hug:
xoxo
Linda

SuchAPrettyFace
01-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Glad to hear you're home safe & sound. :hug:

Jillegal
01-24-2006, 02:14 AM
Welcome home! :)