LA Weight Loss - Mary- the TexMex Queen

View Full Version : Mary- the TexMex Queen

deetsmom
01-03-2006, 06:42 PM
The tilapia was amazing that way. I made one of your fish tacos and then with the leftover tilapia (I only used half a filet in the tortilla and no cheese), I just covered it in fresh chopped tomato with the green onion and cilantro on top- it was AWESOME.

I love simple flavorful ideas like this so I am sending you a challenge for tomorrow night's dinner! I have ground turkey, cilantro, green onions and most other tex-mex things on hand...would you have an idea of something yummy to whip up with this? I could also use chicken. If you have time to respond that would be awesome-you seem like a great cook!

marbear
01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Ok, ground turkey is great for texmex because the cumin covers up the turkey flavor (remember I am not a big poultry fan). Crumble your ground turkey in a no stick pan, but make sure to put on LOTS of cumin, some chili powder, and a fair amount of garlic (don't forgot MLS, too). You really need the spices in there when the meat is raw AND I think you have to work harder to get the ground turkey to crumble...it seems to have more connective tissue. ANyway, I did this for lunch 2 days ago and added my 75% light cheddar to the meat when it was hot to make it all gooey. I served it on a bed of lettuce that I had covered with some cilantro and plenty of green onions. I also drizzed "mexiranch" dressing (which is salsa mixed with ff sour cream). Even hubby will eat it. If you have a starch, you can shred tortilla strips and brown them in a non stick skillet.

Another option (if you like spicy and want another veg) is to saute a jalapeno or something with the turkey. You have small kids, and they may not be into that...bell pepper would work, too.

I live in Texas...and all the tex-mex grocery stuff is dirt cheap. I got avacados 5/$1 this week. I need the healthy fat for the baby, I tell ya!!!

Another thing: If you can find raw ("ready to cook" on the package) tortillas that are within calorie limits I highly reccomend them. I have found some for 80 calories before, but the big ones are usually 180 calories or more). ANyway, you have to cook them in a skillet and they get crispy just like a restaurant. YUM!

I used to make cinnamon chips from cutting a tortilla into 6-8 chip sized pieces using a pizza wheel. You can spray the torilla with pam and then sprinkle splenda and cinnamon. It's been a while, but I think you bake fairly high (400degrees or so) for 8-10 minutes. It's been so long since I've done that...you'd have to play with it if you wanted to try that idea. Maybe if you have a taco salad you can use your starch for soapapilla chips.

Thanks for the compliment, btw.

deetsmom
01-03-2006, 08:04 PM
I continue to be inspired, THANKS!!! My DH LOVES the fish tacos..I made them with cheese for him:)

deetsmom
01-03-2006, 08:30 PM
whats MLS?

marbear
01-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Mortons Lite Salt

Gamababa3
01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Your cinnamon chips sound good to me, I'm sure I'll be trying them. Thanks!

deetsmom
01-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Mary, I think you should be in charge of a new recipe post, cos your taco salad (despite not having a dairy or starch to make it REALLY good) was awesome. Who knew?!

I fried up the turkey and added cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper and chili powder. Then chopped a plum tomato and some cilantro and a tbsp of lo-sodium ketchup. I had it with lettuce and the salsa/sourcream dressing..it was awesome! Next time I think I might have it over brown rice with CHEESE! AWESOME, thanks so much! I am still junky-ing up on lime tilapia..seriously - i bought some for tomorrow already and cant wait to have it a THIRD TIME this week!

Any other ideas you can think of are certainly eagerly anticipated, so if youre ever bored- fire 'em off!

marbear
01-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Tilapia is SO good-not fishy and cheap, cheap, cheap.

Another recipe I like is (and you know I just have to name stuff) is green chicken casserole. It is like lasagna. I was watching calorie commando and he said you can save calories on mexican food by making a layered casserole vs. wrapping stuff up. Anyway, I just use flour tortillas as my layers (cut them in half and place the straight edges against the pan so the edges have more shape). This Mexican lasagna idea can go so many ways. Pre LAWL, I used to use taco bell fat free refried beans mixed with meat as my meat layer, then salsa as my sauce layer. When it was finished you put sour cream mixed with green onions on top. Post LAWL, I guess you could just do a bean/cheese/salsa one (count as protein, starch, dairy, condiment). As far as the green chicken, I layer cooked shredded chicken that has been tossed in salsa verde (doesn't take much if you get a really spicy variety like la costena), flour tortillas, and my cheese layer. The cheese layer is ff cream cheese and very finely shredded lowfat cheese (mixed with an egg). Anyway, the starch goes a LOOONG way because I usually just do 2 layers of tortilla. Anyway, you have to adjust the recipe to what plan you are on...it's just a basic idea. The salsa verde MAKES it, though. I do lightly spread ff sour cream and green onions over the top when it is finished . This recipe sounds condiment crazy, but you don't need a full tablespoon of salsa verde per serving and the cream cheese stretches well when you mix it with your shredded cheese. The finer the cheese, the easier it is to put on your casserole (I just dump by the spoonful).

Mary

shennie_97
01-06-2006, 09:42 AM
deets~ did you add the tomatoes to the turkey while cooking or as a topping. when i make chicken tacos i add tomatoes to it while cooking, but have never tried it with turkey ones.

deetsmom
01-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I added it to them after:) Today I made ground turkey with the cumin, garlic,chili, cilantro, green onion, 1tsp salsa and 1oz cheese...OMG- YUM!