Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Waist to Hip ratio

Anyone else find this pure bunkum?

My waist to hip ratio used to be about 0.7 (divide waist measurement by hip measurement), now after I've LOST weight and toned up it's 0.81 which is ABOVE the recommended ratio, so I'm "apparently" more at risk of having a heart attack now than I was when I weighed 200lbs.

Ok and I know that it's all just "guidelines" and the such like but REALLY!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #2  
Mel

I have exactly the same experience. At my fattest, my waist to hip ratio was "acceptable" because I had a fat ***. At my absolute leanest, I have hardly any waist, an no fat on the ***! I think this only works if you have a fairly long torso and wide hips. Shortwaisted or narrow-hipped women just don't fit the mold. I doubt that I was more susceptible to heart attack with a BMI of 21 and a body fat percentage of 14!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #3  

Right with you frus and Mel. Bunkum, when I was 262lbs my waist hip ratio was in the normal guidelines, coz I have the world's (well had) biggest hips and bum and a defined waist!

I love "guidelines" a never ending source of amusement
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi chickies (I missed you over the holidays! Well, I didn't miss Ky cuz I was VERY near to her, and I didn't miss 2Frus cuz I must've flown over her house Monday!! But I DID miss you, MEL!)

So you've inspired me to check out my ratio. At 189 lbs, my ratio was .82. At fifty pounds lighter, it's .81 VERY useful guideline!

Guess I just sorta shrunk all around, huh?

And because my math skills suck, does that mean I have a "big" waist or "big" hips? Or both? I'm guessin' hips, but I can't translate the math into English .

Last edited by LovesBassets; 01-03-2006 at 02:03 PM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #5  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Kate, you're right on the edge of the supposed ideal ratio (.8 or less) I think that puts you just on the edge of hippy-ness.

The only thing this calculation shows is whether you're more pear shaped or apple shaped (Something most of us are already aware of!) Apple shape is supposed to correlate to a higher incidence of heart trouble, but it's only one of many many risk factors.

I think most people's ratios stay remarkably similar as they lose or gain weight, so it's kind of a weird thing to focus on. It's not like you can change where you store extra weight. At 265 my ratio was .62 and at 139 it's .68 which puts me squarely in the pear camp. (Like I didn't know that already!)
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #6  

I think it works pretty well for men, but we are naturally "apple shaped" when overweight.

Doesn't the "apple" shape in women correlate with smaller ratio of estrogen:testosterone which in turn correlates with a greater risk of heart attack and stroke?
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote