Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #1  

Default How do I know what my ideal weight is?

Can you maintainers help, please? I'm trying to come up with my ideal weight...

I'm 5'8", and I've seen acceptable weight ranges on the internet from 122-164 pounds. I'm sure your body mass makes all the difference, but without going to a gym or lab, how can one accurately determine their BMI?

I originally set 155 as my ultimate goal, but as I get closer to that, I think I need to go lower. But...I never have had a realistic body image, so i don't know!!

How did you finally determine what your ideal weight should be?

Thanks, and happy new year! I can't wait to officially join you as a "maintainer!"

P.S. I hope this post makes sense!!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:10 PM   #2  

I don't think the weight you set as your goal is as important as being flexible as you go along. If you incorporate a good weight training routine you may find that you can get the body you want without ever reaching 150. If that is the case don't get caught up on seeing that magic number on the scale. Or, if you reach 150 and still aren't happy with what you see consider losing more or changing your exercise routine to attain the shape you want.

I think it is hard for those of us who have been overweight for a decent amount of time. None of us tend to have realisitic body images. I've found that I have to take a break every now and then - nothing changes, I still eat and exercise like I always do. But, I switch my focus from weight loss to body image. It gives me a chance to catch my brain up with my body so to speak. It helps me to see where I REALLY am as opposed to where I imagine I am. For as slow as losing weight seems to be adjusting to that weight loss takes even longer and I think it is important to acknowledge that along the way.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #3  

I went with something I could reasonably maintain without struggling. For my Weight Watchers "Winning Outcome", I said I would maintain a weight where all my clothes fit (the newer clothes, that is!), where I can eat and exercise without obsessing and that feels good.

I set a low goal and ended up raising it 4 pounds because the initial goal was unrealitic. I float by +/- 3 pounds, normally, depending on time in my cycle, how much salty food eating, etc. If I gain more than 3, that's a sign to decrease cals. and increase exercise.

I have maitained my loss 14 months! So I think I did pick a realistic range.

Hope this helps.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #4  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I also advise taking it slowly and seeing how you feel along the way. I'm 5'8.5" and my initial goal was 150, but I was still easily losing when I got there so I let myself slowly drop 10 more pounds. (I have a very small frame btw, my wedding finger is a size 4 and my wrists are 5.75")

I figure as long as my bmi is in the healthy range then I'm not in danger of losing too much. I use that as an external check of my body image.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #5  

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to reply soon (when I have more time)! Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #6  

Thanks again for your advice. Slow and steady wins the race, I suppose. This is the first time I have ever tried to lose weight. I always hear the stories of those who lose and regain the weight over and over again. I want to attempt to do it right the first time, so I think it increases my paranoia!!

I re-injured my back, which is so upsetting, because I was going to amp up my exercise, and now I can't Hopefully I won't be out of commission for as long this time as I was the previous time I hurt my back. Ouch.

I think my frame is medium-sized, obviously bigger than Tani's tiny little fingers

I go to Weight Watchers meetings. Maybe our leader can help me too..