Weight Loss Support - Question about sizes

View Full Version : Question about sizes

icmethinner
01-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi everyone - I am wondering why at 5' 9" and about 185 pounds I am just now getting into 14s when lots of people my weight wear much smaller sizes? I exercise a lot and I don't understand why my size is so much larger than others my weight. When I weighed 210, my 18s were super tight. But I read other people's posts and they are around 200 and wear 14s. Any clues??

Thanks!

wednesdaymorning
01-02-2006, 09:16 PM
It's all in where you carry your weight. I have large hips (and quite the backside) by nature. They're always going to be big, because the bones are big. So I wear a bigger pant size than other people at my weight simply because I have a different shape. Same with you, probably.

GonnaLooseitagain
01-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Weight in pounds will depend on amount of fat vs. muscle tone, the size of your frame and your height, how you carry your weight (like an apple shape or pear, or hourglass) but I can totally sympathize with you. At 215, I was a TIGHT 16, yet my friends who weighed substantially less wore the same size. Now at 172 I am in 10's. I am a hourglass/pear shape ( I toddle between the two)

Deanna7272
01-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I know EXACTLY where you are coming from... I am the same size as you BUT... some 14's are still tight on me. I went out the other day becasue my 16's are a little too baggy and most of the 14's I picked up didn't fit me right... LOW RISE sucks...lol Mid rise is more like it...lol

I know that there are people in much smaller sizes than I am in, it's all in the way we are built, I guess.... I have always been athletic (broad shoulders, muscluar legs, etc)... now I am just big..lol There's no way at 172 that I could THINK of fitting in a 10... I was in a 10 at 153, when I worked out 2+ hours a day (way back when I had no life...lol)... Hopefully I 'll be there again...

lucky
01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I agree that your overall build plays a big role in determining your size. But, do you include any weight training in all of the exercise that you do? That can also make a big difference. There have been a couple of times that I've dropped a size without the scale ever budging and I know it is because I was losing fat and building muscle. Conversely, there have been phases when I slacked a bit on my weight training. I lost weight per the scale but my jeans started to get tight.

NowOrNever!
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Hmmmm...and the brand and style of the clothes you're trying on too. Reading this thread makes me realize just how much clothes sizing has changed over the years. In the mid 70s I was in high school and weighed 145 (at 5'8") and THAT put me in a 16 in just about EVERYTHING.

Deanna7272
01-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Yep... I saw once where a group was doing a study about the difference in sizing and there were like 27 different size 10's...

I have noticed that a lot in shirts... I go to pick up an XL and I am like.. yea, for who, BARBIE? I knew at that point I was in the WRONG section...lol

Glory87
01-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I was a tight 18 at 192 and I was a comfortable 14 at 153. I'm a comfy size 8 at 135 or so. I'm a size 6 at J. Jill but they are obviously some kind of vanity sizing FREAKS.

Deanna7272
01-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Hmmmm... the last 6 I can remember was a 6x... WHEN I was 6...lol

SmartButt
01-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm 5'6" and 175, and size 14s can be tight on me in different brands. I carry most of my weight in my gut (apple shape) so thats pretty much why, I think.

On a side note: I *hate* being around a size 14. It's the worst because nothing in the "regular" stores fits as its too small and they skip right to 16 and up in the plus-size stores so I can't wear anything from those or I'm swimming in it.

pixiefalls
01-03-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm 5'6'' and 243 pounds and a fit size 18.. but thats because I hold most of my excess weight in my upper body like my stomach.. blah. My legs are a lot slimmer than the rest of me (I guess from many years of bicyling!) I remember when I first lost some weight years ago.. at 232 I was a 16.. at 200 I was around 15/14.. then at my lowest back then of 170 something I was a 13.. it all depends on your body shape.

Softykins
01-03-2006, 03:17 AM
I'm 5'8" and when I weighed 155, large tops were really
tight on me. So I know that I will never be smaller than
a large. Sucks to be me. Ah well!

LovesBassets
01-03-2006, 07:41 AM
I agree with Jawsmom/Lucky that weight training can make a big difference. I lost a lot of weight back in the mid-1990s via cardio, got to about 150 lbs, and was a tight size 12. When I hit 150 lbs this time around (weight training 3 times a week + cardio), I was a loose size 10. Same person, same weight, different muscle tone, means a different size. For me anyway :) (and I've always worn a lot of Eddie Bauer clothes, so the size 10s and size 12s were from the same company).

DaisyBug08004
01-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Just another thought - clothing manufacturers vary tremendously. If you buy jeans for instance at - old navy or gap and they are a size 18 - then you go to Lane Bryant or Avenue - you will find a 16 likely suits you just fine. But - even there there is variation - I have two pairs of size 18 jeans - both from the avenue. One fits one does not.

Size is irrelevant - only fit matters. Don't bother about the numbers on the label. They basically mean nothing! Look at how the clothes fit you.

Sheila53
01-03-2006, 11:35 AM
My clothing size started to change when I added weight training. I am the same height as you and generally wear a 12, sometimes a 14. I was surprised about the 12s, but I've decreased my body fat percentage while my weight has stayed the same for a while.

Penny Loewen
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
When I was thin and 18 years old to 22 years old (22 is when I got pregnant and was no longer thin) I wore a size 10 sometimes a 9 and I only weighed 115 pounds, soooo it will be interesting to see what size I will wear once I am thinner NOW after 23 years of being fat...

I've noticed one thing, use to, even 25 years ago, there wasn't as many obese people as there are now, I think the clothing manufactures have slowly changed the sizes so people would buy the clothes instead of getting depressed and walking out the stores, I mean how many of you have went to buy new clothes saw what size you had ballooned to and just went home until you could deal with the NEW SIZE you had become??? I've done it many times.
It would be smart of the clothing industry to lower the numbers so that they would make us fatties feel better about our selves.

I actually have some friends who now wear 0's or 1's, and they said they use to be around a 5 or 6 so it has definitely changed...

getncontrol
01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Just wanted to add sometimes people will say 'I'm a size 10' when they are squeezing themselves into it. While other will go with the size that is loose on them. Today I'm wearing a size 16(slim fit) that fit loose and I also have a pair of size 10s(stretch) that I wear. So what size am I??? I'd say I'm a size 12 because when I compare my measurements to size charts that the closest size.

I agree with most of you it's not about the size it's about the fit. I have to say though it felt awesome to buy the size 10s. :p

josie4
01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
I've tried on pants that were exactly the same. Same brand, same size, same cut and had one fit tight and the other loose. Clothing sizes are just :?: :dizzy:. Lol.

At 167 I was a 14 in pants and a L or XL in shirts, now I'm mostly an 8 and sometimes a 6, and S or M.

aphil
01-04-2006, 07:01 AM
I am a costume maker, and doing a lot of sewing, I have learned a lot about body types. There are many, many things that decide what size someone wears-weight is only part of the equation.

First of all-height. If you have a woman who is 5'0", and a woman who is 5'9" and they both weigh 160 pounds, the woman who is tall may look just fine, while the short woman may be on the chubby side at that weight. She has less body length to carry that weight on.

Second-fitness level, or muscle mass vs. body fat. Women who are more muscular can be smaller at the same height and weight than a woman of the same weight-but who is not as fit. Muscle is denser than fat.

Third-body type. When someone says they are a size 10 in jeans-it doesn't always mean they are also a size 10 in dresses and blouses. There are women who are larger on top/smaller on the bottom (apple type figures) who carry their weight in their faces, chest, back, arms, and stomach area-but who have small, thin buns and legs. There are women who are pear shaped-who have thinner upper bodies and carry more weight in their hips, butt, and legs. There are hourglass figure shapes, who tend to carry extra weight all over, but have the tendency towards a smaller, more defined waist. They carry their weight in their arms and bust, as well as their hips and legs, but their torsos-their waist, abs, and back-tend to stay slimmer.

There is also the tube body shape-which is mostly in taller women, and from what I have noticed, it tends to be a popular body shape among models. They tend to be tall, and have great arms and legs-long and lean, and pretty much resistant to cellulite-and when they put on a few extra pounds it tends to settle through the torso-maybe a little more in the chest, a little pouch in the tummy-but their legs and arms always look great.

So-if you have a bunch of women who all wear a size 10 jeans-they are most likely all going to look different-simply because their weights, heights, body shapes, and fitness levels are different.

Softykins
01-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info, aphil. That's really interesting to know.

P.S. - I really want to belly dance when I get a wee bit
thinner. I don't think I could move right in this body as is yet.
I can't wait until I can get started! I'll have to drag a friend
with me to some classes!

Actinide
01-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Sizes are so frustrating, as are body dimensions.

I'm about 5'6" and 156lbs. I have a more-or-less hourglass figure (a rather large hourglass at the moment, but an hourglass nontheless), with hips that are slightly larger than bust. On one hand, it helps me carry my weight proportionately; on the other, it really makes buying clothing a pain in the butt. Shirts that fit in the waist are way too tight across the bust, and jeans that fit my hips are too loose around the waist.

If a shirt is stretchy, I can wear a small. If a shirt isn't stretchy, I have to buy a medium and just deal with a baggy middle. In dresses with flared skirts, I fit an 8; in dresses with straight skirts, I wear a 10. Pants, on the other hand, I'm a tight 12-14 depending on the cut :rolleyes:

Arian
01-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Sizes are so frustrating, as are body dimensions.

I'm about 5'6" and 156lbs. I have a more-or-less hourglass figure (a rather large hourglass at the moment, but an hourglass nontheless), with hips that are slightly larger than bust. On one hand, it helps me carry my weight proportionately; on the other, it really makes buying clothing a pain in the butt. Shirts that fit in the waist are way too tight across the bust, and jeans that fit my hips are too loose around the waist.

If a shirt is stretchy, I can wear a small. If a shirt isn't stretchy, I have to buy a medium and just deal with a baggy middle. In dresses with flared skirts, I fit an 8; in dresses with straight skirts, I wear a 10. Pants, on the other hand, I'm a tight 12-14 depending on the cut :rolleyes:

I have the same problem! I am an hour glass figure, and my bust has always been bigger than my waist/hips. I find that the low rise jeans tend to give me a better fit, even if the size has to be a bit bigger. And as for t-shirts that fit everywhere on me, forget it ;)

DeafinlySmart
01-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm 5'4" and 177lbs. I wear a 14 (snugly). I have a big caboose.

suechef
01-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I have mostly given up on judging by the number of the size, because they're all so different. Good expression, "vanity sizing". There are a number of stores that sell a size 10 that would have been a 14 twenty years ago. There are people here who weigh a lot more than me who wear much smaller sizes; I know a toned, fit 160 lbs is very different from a completely sedentary, fluffy 160, but that's not it, because I do a LOT of exercise & have always been pretty muscular (plus the fat, of course). So it's really the manufacturers who are confusing things.

So, I guess I'd just go by what's happening in the mirror!

cheers,
sue

DaisyBug08004
01-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I have mostly given up on judging by the number of the size, because they're all so different. Good expression, "vanity sizing". There are a number of stores that sell a size 10 that would have been a 14 twenty years ago. There are people here who weigh a lot more than me who wear much smaller sizes; I know a toned, fit 160 lbs is very different from a completely sedentary, fluffy 160, but that's not it, because I do a LOT of exercise & have always been pretty muscular (plus the fat, of course). So it's really the manufacturers who are confusing things.

So, I guess I'd just go by what's happening in the mirror!

cheers,
sue

And THAT is precisely why I say that size is 100% irrelevant. ONLY fit matters. No question about it - we are all being lied to on a daily basis on those tags... pay them no mind whatsoever.

TatianaHdz
01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Don't feel bad. I do weight training and weigh 195, yet I am still a size 22/24. There are some size 20s I can fit into, and I have found ONE size 18 pair of pants I barely squeeze into. I don't know what the deal is. I don't have big hips or too big of a butt, I think it's my stomach "pouch" on the bottom. It's bigger than my butt! lol

Optical Goddess
03-05-2006, 11:45 AM
In terms of clothes: I have a pair of pants that are an eight that I love to wear. They are one of the few pair of women's pants that I own. Since I was onto a good thing, I went to the store to get another pair...same brand, style and size....except there was a "sizemic shift" and that new pair doesn't fit. I doubt that pants reverse shrink, so while some women notice that sizes have been changing to stroke our egos and keep us shopping, I've noticed the opposite, at least, in that one pair of pants. I have made the switch to almost all men's pants (aside from work pants), because all the wierd sizes and off the wall cuts of women's pants bug me.

buddha belly
03-05-2006, 12:52 PM
This kind of gets to me too. I am 5'5" and 155 lbs, and I wear a size 16. In younger days, at 110 lbs I was a size 10, and looked extremely thin in pictures. At this weight I know I do not look normal size.

But a woman at work is 5'4" and weights 230 lbs and is in a 22x, and tells me that I must wear the same size as she does. So not only do I have to deal with the size issue, but also thinking that I really look like 75 lbs heavier than I am, when I have enough issues dealing with being 155.

icmethinner
03-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Buddha - the lady at work probably doesn't see herself as big as she is, so when she looks at you, she thinks that's about how she looks. I know sometimes I will see a pair of jeans on a rack and think - that looks about the right size, and then when I look, they are 2 or 3 sizes too small - wishful thinking, I guess! Don't let her get to you!

buddha belly
03-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks, icme. I try to use what she tells me as inspiration to get me to the gym sometimes when I don't feel like going. She has told me that several times, whenever I get something new, she complements me on it and then brings up the size thing - so even though I have told her I am size 16, she keeps persisting in that vein.

Well the next time I get something new, if she brings it up - it won't be a 16, it will be smaller. (Don't I sound vindictive)

da fat n da furious
03-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Budda Belly, seriously she (co worker) doesn't see her self as big,,,has she gained her weight recently? Weight gain/loss is such a mental thing. Soem people who have lost still see them selves as big and vice versa.
took me years to realize I wasn't a size 8 anymore..I was a 16!

I was a 270 lbs and a size 24,,did alot of weight training and lost 67 lbs. I went down to a size 14,,,
Ive gained all the weight back and more,,,and am a size 20 I worked in a plus size womans clothing store. And let me tell you the agony of those change rooms...so many of those woman had sizing issues.
Couple of you mentioned hour glass and wearing shirts a bit bigger and dealing with the middle being bulky...find a seamstress to fix that. We had one on call who we sent our clients over so she could make the clothes fit better.

sh3l5
03-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I am 168 pounds down from 196, I am still the same size! :(

Sassy8877
03-06-2006, 02:14 PM
I noticed that it depends on what type of exercise training I am doing. Right now at this weight I am in a comfy size 12, at just a few pounds less (like 10) I was in a size 10, but at the time I was running a 5K about twice a week. That made the difference in how my jeans fit, now I am swimming and doing pilates to see if I can get back to there. I will let you know how it goes. Oh and speaking of body shape, I always say I have barrell body, nothing cute like pear or apple, but barrell LOL

Just as long as you are moving towards healthy it is a GOOD thing :)

Oh I forgot to mention I am 5'6" and a full body picture is in my profile. At the time of that picture I was about 175 and in a 10/11 clothing size.

lumifan4ever
03-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm 5'6" and 175, and size 14s can be tight on me in different brands. I carry most of my weight in my gut (apple shape) so thats pretty much why, I think.

On a side note: I *hate* being around a size 14. It's the worst because nothing in the "regular" stores fits as its too small and they skip right to 16 and up in the plus-size stores so I can't wear anything from those or I'm swimming in it.

smartbutt, i hear where you are coming from. i am the same way. i carry just as much weight in my abs as i do in my hips. there is only a couple inches difference. i am fitting back into my 16's comfortably but i can "fit" into my old 14's. they are way to tight in the waist to wear anywhere, but at least i can fit into them and get them zipped up and buttoned. i too am 5'6 and weight 178. I can't wait to get back into my 14's comfortably. but i have to lose in the belly first and not the hips. according the chadwicks catalog, i am a 16 in the top, 1 16w in the hips and get this.....1 22W in the waist!!!!! can you believe that???!!!:o