Dieting with Obstacles - Fibromyalgia #148

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia #148

MemeToo
01-02-2006, 05:02 PM
So how's the New Year going for everyone so far. I've completely wasted the first 2 days so far (except for going to church yesterday of course!)

It's rainy and bad here so I don't feel like doing anything. I'm still tired from Christmas. We had friends over New Year's Eve ... stayed up late and then got up early for the radio program and then church Sun. morn. Had a candle light communion service last night then out to eat with about 15 people from church. I need a couple of days rest, then gotta get started back on the trailer next door again - finish getting it ready to rent. Didn't get to go to NC last week so I may plan a trip over there in the next month or so. I have some aunts that are old and sickly ... I need to go see them sometime soon.

I didn't make any resolutions this year. I figure if I just survive I'll be doing good! ;)

Thought you all would get a kick out of baby Jenna's Christmas Cake Caper! (She's a true blonde ... such a klutz!) :p Funny thing is she didn't just drop it once ... that's why I made the picture! She dropped it TWICE! She nearly cried until I started laughing! That kid keeps me young!!!

http://www.memeart.com/images/jennacakesm.jpg

MemeToo
01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
We got Kaylyn a scooter and a helmet ... sometimes I think some of Jenna's blonde hair fell off on that child! :p

http://www.memeart.com/images/kaylynhelmet.jpg

From left to right going around: Garrett: 10; Ross: 9; Kaylyn: 8; and Jenna: 6.

http://www.memeart.com/images/screensaver2sm.jpg

Mima
01-03-2006, 06:32 AM
Why do I keep losing posts. Love those pics, Meme. I am still sick!!! But not as bad as Sunday. Do you have that vomiting bug Tammy? Last report was MIke got it-one more to go in that house. He said we hould save the presents til next year!!! I don't think so. We might do a pull a name next year for the grownups.
This is funny. Asked DIL what colors she liked for the new baby and she said all the colors of the 3 NE sports teams. I was thinking blue and yellow myself. I just got some quilt squares on e-bay for a Patriots quilt and then I am going to get some Red Sox fleece and make one of those no-sew baby blankets . With the fringe that you tie.Maybe I will make a green sweater set for the Celtics-they don't have material.
30 miles is not far, Joanne. I will see if that will work-otherwise another day. Mima

Candicej
01-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Sorry Tam and Mima are sick..feel better soon!

Meme..cute pictures! Those grandkids of yours are gonna be married with kids of their own soon!

Joanne...our email provider scans for viruses...but I still do not feel safe and I do not open just junk.

I gotta start eating healthy again and lose a few I gained!

Happy Canuk
01-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi to all of you.

Meme - those are great pictures. Cute kids, and boy have they grown up.

Candice - it's good to have you back. I don't open junk at all. Just delete everything. I got a terrible virus a year ago, and by the time the tech finished with my machine, it had opened 17 viruses. All this even though I had Norton. Our cable company has a virus package if I want it, but the tech told me not to go near it. It was far safer to use MacAfee or Norton. There is a free one, and I will go in search of it and post it here. It will tide you over until you can get one. It is pretty good.

Mima and Tammy - I hope you gals feel better soon. I had that strep the first part of November, and that is enough for me. My little grandson had the stomach flu at Christmas and Ashley is STILL sick with whatever she had. She goes to her own Dr. tomorrow for a check-up, so that is good.

Joanne - how are you doing today? I suppose you are basking in the nice hot weather:) Well, we are having a 'balmy' 32F day. This is SUPER warm for January, of all months. Supposed to stay for the whole week. So far, since October, we have only had 1 week of cold weather and we had a brown christmas - we only have a skiff of snow, not even worth sweeping. I just don't have to sweat:carrot:

Hope everybody is enjoying thier day.

Tammy
01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi all! Thanks for the get well wishes. Feeling better today, but still not "normal". Long day at school, believe me. I need to go to bed early tonight.

Anne, we still have some things at the old house. We thought we'd get most of it finished when we got home from Georgia, but when you're sick, not much gets done. Glad that work is getting easier for you, and that massage had to feel great!

Mima, yes we had the vomiting kind of flu. Not fun. We were very close to Florida when we were gone, but I'm sure we weren't close to you. I think Jekyll Island is about 50 miles from Jacksonville.

Meme, those kids are so cute! You can just look at them and know they are into mischief.

Joanne, happy 52nd anniversary!! Having you house full for Christmas was nice. I miss all of us being with my parents. Good for you on getting out and walking. We did quite a bit while we were gone. Planning to join the YMCA soon.

Candice, we will never get tired of you!!! Silly girl!! Good for you for starting to eat healthy again. I've done good today, but I'm still not feeling the best. How is your MIL?

Melody, welcome!!!! Definitely get to a doctor and ask questions. I have learned so much over the past 1.5 years since I was diagnosed. You will also received support from this group of women too. They are great!!

I need to do some school work, and then go to bed early (like an hour ago). Hope to be back on tomorrow.

motherofthreedogs
01-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Just diagnosed with fibromyalgia in November :( after months of tests to see what was wrong. Have been given Doxepin (low dosage) which is supposed to put me in stage 4 sleep and let my muscles heal. It certainly does put me in stage 4 sleep, which is good, because for the first time in 20 years I'm able to sleep through the night. But I'm hungover the next morning and can't get motivated to exercise. :dizzy: I lost 42 pounds last year (May to October), but gained 30 of them back since October.

I really want to get started again. Any suggestions on exercise, medication, how to deal with fibromyalgia? How about specific foods to avoid or foods to eat relating to fibromyalgia? You guys look like you're going great!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-day/penguin/lb/274/160/261/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Happy Canuk
01-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Hi Motherofthreedogs. How much Doxepin did they put you on. I took 10 mg per night for awhile, but with the meds I take for AtrialFibrillation, I couldn't wake up, so I stopped taking it. The good thing about it, is that it isn't addictive. Also, my Dr. advised me to take it at 9:00 p.m. and said even earlier if I was having problems the next day.

I, myself, find that sugar and aspartame products can bring on a flare. Also, stress. I am much better than I was 9 years ago. I also have OA in the lower back, hip, knee and other areas it seems.

Oh, welcome to our thread.

Candicej
01-04-2006, 06:25 AM
MIL not doing well.....gotta get some rest:)

motherofthreedogs
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Happy Canuk. Yup - it's 10 mg and I probably take it later than I should - between 10 and 11 when I take all my other meds. I've had 3 kidney transplants and have a ton of med, including prednisone which tends to keep my weight up. I also read last night that Doxepin can cause "massive weight gain", which is not what I need! I like not having as much pain as before, but being that I stopped exercising at the same time that I started this, not sure if the pain went away because of the Doxepin or because I stopped exercising. Tired of doctors who don't know what's wrong, so figure I best take things into my own hands. You guys who have been through the same thing are helpful. Thanks.

Mima
01-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi there all-still not better but I think I am headed there. Got the hot and sour sup-that seems to open up my sinuses but it had scallions that I thought were green beans!!!!Now my stomache!!! I tried a lot of meds before I found one that didn't put me in the zone. But do take it earlier. Glad you are on the mend.Tammy. We went right by Jekyll Island-we could have met you for lunch!!!! Someday. Gotta pay 2 bills before the stamps go up. Mima

Joanne D
01-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Happy-It is in the low 70's today. It is supposed to get into the low 40's-mid 30's ?this weekend. The weather has been great lately. Not hot or cold.
Tammy -glad that you are feeling better. I have been down with my back/hip since Christmas. It seems to be getting a little better,but, not fast enough for me to walk much. I have been sitting on one wt.number and can't get it to move down . I need to lose a pound today. I doubt that is going to happen.Weigh in is thursday. My daughter and I plan a weekend to St Simons island in April.
Mima- I just need to know ahead of time if you plan to come to Tarpon Springs. It may be difficult for you as your hubby is going to be in Tampa.It would mean him bringing you and coming back to pick you up.
Candice- Hope the MIL gets better. Take care of yourself. That is #1.
Meme- Cute children. My G/children are grown. Both in college.My G/son is now out of the navy. Thank God. We were so worried . His ship was sent in the Irag area twice. My G/daughter is extending her degree. She will have two degress when she graduates.Her boyfriend is in school there. That makes it easier.She will be one educated nurse!It can only help her.
Motherofthreedogs- Welcome. I can't relate to fibro, but, I can say that the meds you are on will not help you to lose weight. Keep working at eating healthy and a good exercise program. I have severe OA. along with other health problems.It is always a battle.
Joanne

Happy Canuk
01-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi everybody.

Mima - glad you aare getting to the point where you THINK you MIGHT be getting better.

Joanne - by the weekend, we will have the same temperature. That MUST be a first. We are having the 2nd warmest winter in history. Hope you can lost that pound, but don't stress about it.

Motherofthreedogs - I don't know that 10mg will cause you to gain weight or not. I didn't find that much of a problem, not like the Amitriptylin. Try taking that Doxepin earlier, as it does help with the morning blahs. You have a few other problems that we don't have. Just try remember to pop that pill earlier :D

Candice - try take some time for you. Is your MIL going to get better?

Hi MEME and TAMMY!

Repo girl
01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi Ladies,
I am new here, I am usually on the LA Weight Loss threads, since that is the diet I am on. I am 28, have had FM for 8 years. I do really well with it if I get plenty of water, and go easy on the alcohol. Lately though I have not been sleeping very well, and hurting a lot more. Of course, it has been really cold and snowy here, and winter always brings on a bit of a flare. My question though, is do you ladies exercise? What have you found that does not make you hurt? I would really like to work out, but everytime I try to exercise, I end up paying for it for days. I would really appreciate any wisdom on this one! Thanks, Katie

Figgykitty
01-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Katie

I have had Fibro for about 15 years. I used that as an excuse for so many years to not exercise because of the pain. I say "excuse" now because I have come to understand that what life can be with exercise. I finally took the step and started exercising almost 2 years ago. Oh man it hurt and hurt and hurt. I didn't believe my doc that it would get better. I got to the place where I couldn't stand my body anymore and I hated being the largest one on my vocal team at church. But, I kept pushing through the pain and in all honesty, if I did that, anyone can do it. I never exercised in my whole life and I hated anything that made me breathe heavy. I still hate to exercise and I always will but I feel so much better. I do walking tapes, strength and resistence tapes, free weights. I can't even think of going to the gym because I tend to fall to the floor trying to catch my breath(because I'm a wimp) and I feel comfortable with that at home. I might freak people out at the gym and I don't want them to be upset!!!! OK, I just can't think of being seen with my exercise clothes on by anyone but my family.
OK, all that to say...yes, it gets better. Yes, it hurts but you have to push through it a little bit more everyday. Walking is one of the top things in my book and the easiest on your joints. I really like to do some abs too. I don't do anything fancy because it hurts my back but doing crunches daily makes me feel better and I can feel those "6pack" muscles just waiting to come out and see the sun.
Sorry I took so much time to write all this. I can be a bit wordy so I'll try to watch it. Don't feel defeated with the exercise. God is walking, crunching, weight lifting with you and He'll give you the strength you need to do what you need to do.
Mel

motherofthreedogs
01-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Figgykitty and everybody else on this thread: you're right about exercise and it does hurt, but I know that after awhile I get addicted to it. All my doctors have continually told me that exercise is better for arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc. if you just keep moving. They did tell me, though, that walking isn't the best exercise at first. I found after being off my leg for ten months due to an injury that I couldn't even walk for five minutes. They told me, as did a physical therapist, that swimming and the exercise bicycle is better and puts less strain on your joints. So if you're really in a lot of pain, check with your doctor. The phrase "no pain, no gain" is not accurate! But do try to take those baby steps at least! When I first exercised, I could only do the bike at the lowest tension for 5 minutes. Now I can do it for 30 minutes twice a day at a medium tension.

Figgykitty, I like your phrase "Eat to live, not live to eat". It seems in this society that being social means going out to eat, so that's our focus.

MemeToo
01-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Just one word of caution ... start S L O W L Y ... with whatever you choose to do. If it's walking, abs, crunches, weights, sit-ups ... anything and everything can and will hurt you when you have Fibro! If you are aware of that and stay aware of how your body is feeling you will be less apt to hurt yourself and more apt to be able to keep on exercising. Most of us are 'gung-ho' at everything we do and it gets us into trouble at the very beginning of any exercise or diet plan we start ... then we fall off the wagon and start the vicious cycle of lose, gain, lose, gain. That's the main reason we are where we are today. So know where you are going before you start your program and then start slowly. You didn't get where you are in a day or week or month and you won't get back to a normal weight (whatever the heck that is!) in a day or week or month, either! So don't injure yourself the first time out! A little more movement today than you did yesterday is going to burn more calories for you than you used yesterday. Even if it's just walking around your house while the commercials are on TV. And if you just cut out one or two slices of bread or a half of a potato more today than you had yesterday ... added to your walks around the house ... you WILL lose weight. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. So ... as the tortoise figured out long ago, even if you're slow, as long as you can keep going, you'll always finish the race!

http://www.memeart.com/images/turtle.gif

(I didn't see your post there Mother of 3 ... guess it was on the other page.
I totally agree with you ... baby steps! No pain-No gain is not right!)

Mima
01-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Walking, swimming ,Tai Chi, stretching are my favorites. The Y has arthritis exercises but you have to be careful. I can't do them because I hurt my ribs 5 years ago and I can't twist. See , that;s what I do-I hurt myself because I get gung-ho. We can't overstretch our muscles with fibro. Hurt my rotator cup and had to have surgery from a Yoga video. (I hurt my ribs from moving and picking up heavy boxes). Still on the mend!!! I am so congested.
Joanne, I will see what my husband wants to do today. I have only beeen to the mailbox in the past 5 days. I will let you know. Mima

Repo girl
01-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to start doing something small every day, and see where I get!

Mima
01-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Joanne-I think that would be too much driving for one day-if there was a small country road out of Tampa, I could drive there but Tampa is oh so busy. We can pick another day. It will work out. Oh I wish I wasn;t so congested. it zaps me. mima

Candicej
01-06-2006, 05:57 AM
MIL getting second opinion...then will decide on permenat feeding tube or not.

I love execise but it does not like me! Somedays it makes me feel better other days it me makes me worse. I loved my warm water exercise untill I lost my wieght then I got to cold and my muscles cramped. I need to keep moving though I know that...can't just lay around all the time. I hurt myself too Mima!!!!!!! Not sure where we are moving yet or when...to stressful to think about! Sleep is the most important theing for me..no sleep = lots of pain:D

Mima
01-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Moving! I am still sick-should call doc-7 days!!!!! I still keep sneezing! Gonna take my temp. Mima

Joanne D
01-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Mima- I have to agree. Even the once country roads out of Tampa are terrible now. It is more than an hour drive now from the fair grounds to Tarpon. Hwy.19 is concidered the worse rd. in Florida.I don't drive them.Another day would be better for you.Go to Dr.
Candice..You are moving?I tried the water treatment exercise. They said the water was 85 %. It was so cold my muscles cramped and my toes were curling under. Life is no fun when we have to take care of sick MIL.
Welcome new people- Starting any exercise program should be slow. Walking is my exercise of choise. I started slow and worked up to 3 miles a day. I have been lax lately so need to get my butt in gear.I have beem having some back problems but maybe if I drop that excuse and get at it that will get better too.I am addicted to reading. When I get into a book I tend to lose tract of some of the important things I need to do.But I have lost 74 lbs and have kept it off over 4 years.Everyday is a battle.
Meme- Good advise! Every little bit works. Our Tops meeting was on the same subject last night.
Happy- Getting cool here for this weekend. It will warm up then.At this time of the year it is warm one week and cold the next.Shorts to warm pants weather.
Joanne

Tammy
01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Welcome to all of the new people!! This is a great place for support. Like everyone says, we need to exercise. I used to go to the YMCA and do 5 step aerobics classes a week. Can't believe it now! That was a long time ago. We have just rejoined the Y, and I'm going to be signing up to meet with a fitness instructor to help me with a plan that is for ME, not lots of others. This person will personalize a plan for me with the problems that I have. I'm sure I'll be starting slow, but that's ok.

Candice, so sorry about your MIL. I pray that God will lead you to make the right decisions. Went through similar issues with my father. Hard.

Anne, I agree about the stress causing flareups. Sugar too. I really don't notice it so much with the nutrasweet.

Mima, we could have met at Jekyll!!!

And Joanne is going to St. Simons (I assume that's the one in Georgia, right?). We were there quite a bit while we were in GA. In fact, I went to Christmas Eve services at a church there. It was the worst experience in my life. I went alone. Not one single person said anything to me except for the preacher when I was leaving. He said Merry Christmas. It was so unlike my church. If someone new comes, they are welcomed with open arms. I felt like an intruder that night. On Christmas Day I went to a church on Jekyll Island. I was hardly in the door before people were greating me. One woman was checking to see if I would be with others for Christmas dinner, because she was going to invite me to her house. That made me feel so much better.

Knees are a bit sore from the injections yesterday. I need to get back in the recliner and get them elevated so I guess I should get off of here.

MemeToo
01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Tammy, although I've had surgery on both of my knees, I've never had the injections. I had an appointment to have it done once but chickened out at the last minute. I was actually in the Dr. office at appt. time but changed my mind. I've had them in my right ankle many times, though. The Dr. always says now this is going to hurt ... are you feeling it yet ... almost though ... are you ok. What he doesn't understand is that the pain in my ankle is so bad before the needle goes in, the needle is like running water over it comparably. Sometimes I don't even feel it after it pricks the skin. Today, I can barely walk for the pain in the ankle and the other one isn't so hot, I have tendonitis it in ... at least that's what they said the exray read ... I still think it's just plain old arthritis. When they said 'acute tendonitis' I told my husband at least there was something about me that was cute ... even if was my foot. :p I'm afraid to have the shots put in my knees ... I guess that goes back to when they used to go out of place all the time ... just don't want anyone messing around with them. If someone start to touch them I just naturally stiffen them up. I need both of them replaced but ... I say as long as I can walk ... and I'm still standing! ;) I can't believe I'll be SIXTY next year. :eek: Freaks me out!!! Everybody thinks I'm in my 40s. Surely can't keep the wrinkles at bay much longer! :(

Candice ... why are you moving? And where are you moving to??? Closer to me I hope! Sorry to hear about your MIL. I'm surprised she's willing to get a second opinion.

Anne ... the weather is killing all of us. Warm one day cold the next. It snowed here this morning and is freezing now. I'm running the heat wide open (hubby will kill me when he gets the bill) and still have on a sweater! Wish I had some of your warm Canada air!

Taking a friend to Cheddar's to eat for her BD tonight. I dread getting out it's so cold ... but, she's a good friend and there's several of us going. I'd hate to have a BD on Fri. the 13th. My kids are singing at my church Sun. night ... wish you all could come hear them! I found a cassette tape in my chest-of-drawers when I was cleaning one day a month or so ago. It had our family name and the date 1984 on it. I put it in the tape player and it had my kids and I singing on it. I'm thinking ... ok ... a few songs we recorded 21 years ago. But ... it had TWENTY-THREE songs on it! I was so excited. When my husband came home I played it for him ... it was an hour long. He put the whole thing on a CD. My daughter was only 14 years old. We used to go to singings and revivals and sing all the time when they lived at home. But none of us remember making that tape.

I hope all of you who are sick and UNDER the weather are feeling better, especially you, Mima. Seems you've had your share lately. Ya'll take it easy and don't over-do. The year is young yet!

Figgykitty
01-06-2006, 04:51 PM
I am glad that I found this spot. I don't have anyone to talk to about the Fibo and this is giving me some perspective. My illness isn't as bad as most of yours although it's certainly there.
I will agree with everyone about taking is slowly when you start exercising. I started with a walk around my house. That was it. The next week I did 2 walks around. I built up to 20 laps and then went in to use tapes. It took a long time but I got there. Yes, water and bike are the best to use when you have the pain. It's easier on your joints.
Mel

Joanne D
01-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Tammy- I am pretty sure it is St Simons in Georgia.. Our daughter made reservations for a weekend in March at a bed and breakfast. We haven't told hubby yet he is going. We can't leave him alone at her house. He will just have to tag along.She says there are some nice trails to walk and historical things to see.He won't/can't do any walking but we will find something for him to do.
I have had multi injections in my knees as well as my back.It does hurt. But the last ones I had in my knee my Dr. froze the area first and I hardly felt it.If my back doesn't get better, I may have to see about it. I turned wrong in bed last night. That really hurt.
Meme- I have had the knees give out. Now my hip feels like it is slipping around. No fun. I guess it has something to do with the back pain .Almost 60? you are still a young one. We are getting cold tonight.
I had good intentsions to start walking again today. I lasted about 1/2 mile and had to go back home. Too much pain. It was really windy and cold. I live 1 mile from Gulf. I think maybe I can walk this back problem away. I will do T/M tomorrow....Joanne

Tammy
01-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Meme, if I have to have surgery, maybe you could come and hold my hand. That scares me much more than the shots did. They really didn't hurt since the doctor numbed the area before the shots. I wish we could all hear the tape of your family. I love to sing, but my singing voice is very rusty. I used to be pretty good.

Mel, I'm glad you found this site too. I think I've been visiting this thread for about a year now. I was/and still am a regular on one of the other threads on 3FC.

Joanne, you will love it at St. Simons! Ft. Fredrica is there, Wesley Chapel and a garden area about the Wesleys, Christ Church, just so many awesome places to visit.
While you are there, go to Jekyll Island which is really close. It costs $3.00 to go to JI, but just being there is worth it. It is so peaceful and quiet compared to St. Simons. There is a historic district at Jekyll with many "cottages" that wealthy people used to winter in. These cottages are larger than either one of my houses!! lol We stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel for one night. Wealthy people used to stay there in the winter, and then it closed down in the 30's or 40's. It was completely redone in the 90's and now "normal" people can stay there. It's still expensive, but I found a deal to get a room for 1/2 price so that was my Christmas present to Bob. The rest of the time we were there we stayed at the Holiday Inn.

Dr. Khan froze my knees, then gave me a shot to numb them, then did the infections. I think she knew I didn't like pain! I asked her about injections for my lower back, and she said that she doesn't do them because of the risk of hitting the wrong area.

motherofthreedogs
01-07-2006, 12:48 AM
I had injections in one of my knees and on my hip last year before they could figure out what was wrong. The injections didn't hurt at all, but feeling around for the right spot was terrible! I had lunch with an old friend today whose wife has fibromyalgia and he told me that she has to go up to the cooler weather in northern Arizona in the summer because the heat bothers her so much. I would think it would be just the reverse. He also said that the fibromyalgia just keeps progressing - it never gets better. Is that what all of you are finding as well? I don't like the prospect of ending up in a wheelchair :-( Also, she's taking a LOT of oxycontin (70 mg twice daily) which sounds very dangerous and very addictive. I know when I've had kidney transplants they've prescribed 5 mg of oxycodone for pain, and that knocks me out. Is this normal treatment for fibro? Ever since I was on kidney dialysis, I admired people who survived long-term chronic disease. Nobody knows what they go through unless they've lived it themselves. It seems like a lot of you have a lot of faith. I'm not active in our churches here - they're a lot like described above where nobody talks to you - so I stopped going years ago. Do you find relief through your faith?

Also read today that a lot of people have hypoglycemia with their fibromyalgia and that sugar, caffeine, etc. make it worse. I started to research it and found that a supplement(?) called guaifenesin is sometimes taken. Has anybody taken that?

Hope everybody is going great for the new year. I'm off to a slow start, but bound and determined to get back into it. The first couple of weeks of exercise is so difficult for me. Just have to stop procrastinating.

MemeToo
01-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Mother of 3 ... Oxy can kill you and most (sane) Drs do not recommend those type of drugs for fibro. My husband runs a tool shop. The owner's son is addicted to Oxy. He buys it on the street! Here are some facts you might be interested in:

What is OXYCONTIN?
OXYCONTIN is one of several OPIUM derivatives (Heroin is also an opium derivative). It is a high potency pain killer that comes in time released tablets that last for 12h hours. As far as pills on the street go, Oxycontin is a HAND GRENADE amongst firecrackers.

Why is it a problem?
According to media reports the drug was over marketed by the maker Purdue Pharma and the pills are easily available on the street. Kids have figured out that if you chew/crush or snort the tablet that you bypass the time release feature and it will give you a high much like HIGH GRADE heroin but with worse consequences. Most kids are actually not aware of the heroin link and do not realize how DANGEROUS this drug is. 5mg of OXY has has as much active ingredient (oxycodone) as One percocet. So chewing/snorting a 80mgOxy is like taking 16 percocets all at once. Again KIDS just don't realize what they are putting into their system from ONE SMALL little pill.

What are the consequences?
Oxycontin suppresses the respiratory system and when combined with alcohol or other depressants it is often DEADLY. Often the person goes to sleep and their respirations slowly decrease until breathing stops completely.

Can a person LEGALLY prescribed OXYCONTIN become addicted?

Contrary to FALSE CLAIMS THAT LESS THAN 1% of PATIENTS GET ADDICTED, the CT Attorney General has stated the addiction rate is around 13% but some feel it is as high as 30%. All Patients (100%) do get physically dependent, which means they will suffer physical SEVERE FLU LIKE WITHDRAWALS IF THEY SUDDENLY STOP TAKING IT.

How do you kick an OXYCONTIN addiction?
Just like heroin it is almost impossible to do alone as the withdrawal symptoms are worse than heroin and last longer.

How much will cause an overdose?
Everyone's body is different but as little as half a pill when combined with alcohol or other depressants can lower your respiratory system enough to kill you. Taken in high doses OXYCONTIN alone can kill you.

I can't believe that lady's Dr. is giving her such a high dosage of that stuff. Most doctors give their patients muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory type drugs/NSAIDS, steroids and antidepressants ... which most people with fibro don't really need. I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T take antidepressants ... just that I think doctors are too quick to prescribe them a lot of the time. Just like the over prescribing of the Oxycontin. My Dr. prescribes Darvocet for me and I try not to even take that unless I really need it ... but that's for arthritis, not Fibro. I have muscle relaxers and stuff but they make me sleepy. I usually take Aleve and if that dosn't do it I'll take the Darvocet. Of course, nothing ever takes all the pain completely away but the Aleve and Darvocet helps.

Yes, God dependency helps, too. I couldn't make it without my faith! Visit my website if you'd like: http://www.memeart.com If you don't like the church you were attending, try finding another. I'm sure there is one out there somewhere that needs you!

As far as the hypoglycemia ... I'm not diabetic but my blood sugar is always just border-line low. I can eat all day long ... take it with my husband's meter (he is diabetic) and it will never be over 100. Usually in the 90s. Never low enough to be considered 'low' but never really normal, either. I think that's one of the things that makes me feel tired a lot ... that plus the fact that I'm severly anemic. Have been all my life. I'm talking ... I have no blood. I have to have my blood count checked every month to make sure the levels don't fall too low.

Mima
01-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Good morning-My opinion is that fibro gets better-it's not like RA and OA. When i came down with it-I could hardly walk. Now I only have spots that hurt. I do have some OA but it doesn't hurt. Foods that bother me are wheat and milk-they give me pain. I went to see doc yesterday-I have asthma and bronchitis. I have an inhaler a a prescript for Zithromax, I am concerned about the med because it causes stomache pain and I get that from everything. It's only for 3 days. I tried the guasefien but gave up=
Be wary of pain meds!!! I know someone with fibro that only takes meds and lays on the couch and wonders why she doesn't get better. I saw my mother do that with with Ra and she didn't get better until later when she took gold shots and started line dancing etc. But she was addicted to prednisone. And it made her sick and she had to go in the nursing home. So I learned from that.
I want to go to Georgia! Mima

Joanne D
01-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Tammy- I had r/knee replacement several years ago. Don't do it till you retire. It takes a few months to recuperate. At least it did me. yes, there is pain but that you can deal with. Pain meds. The Dr. told me not to be afraid to take them . He said he would get me off of them. I took myself off before he told me. I take Darvocet n 100 now when nothing else works. Not for the new knee though. I am not sorry I had that done. Someday I will have to have the other one done. I was having a lot of problems at one time with it,now it hasn't bothered me too much since the last injection. That was over three years ago. I don't know what he put in but it sure helped.I think losing 74 lbs helped too. I still am in pain but nothing like before.Now the back is another story. I won't bore you anymore this time.:dizzy: We plan to go to Jekyll island too.
Hello everybody.. Have a good weekend..Joanne

motherofthreedogs
01-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all the info on the oxycodone. I was surprised when he told me about it, but after seeing that various doctors use it for fibro, I figured it might be okay. But 70 mg twice a day seems horrible, and is! I'll let him know.

Meme, I glanced at your website and will look at it more thoroughly today. If you're always anemic, have your ferritin and iron levels checked (they're different tests). I just finished a round of IV iron where I was supposed to have five injections, but after 3 my hematocrit and anemia were back in normal range. You might at least see about that.

Mima, I take prednisone too and it's a horrible medication, but I found out after lowering my dosage with my second kidney transplant that it is necessary - since it caused rejection. Now I take it religiously even though it does make me sick and has multiple other side effects. Lesser of two evils. So I don't know if I'd call it a typical addiction like other meds. You just have to wean off of it gradually. Talk with your mom's doctor and see why she has to be on it.

You guys are all great to help others being that doctors don't seem to have the time to spend discussing all of this, or you don't think of the questions until after you've left.

MollyB54
01-07-2006, 02:07 PM
God does crunches?

Oh no. Does that mean we have to exercise in heaven?

:D

MollyB54
01-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Mel,
That's exactly what I am doing - forcing myself to exercise. I am walking 30-40 min, for 4 days now. I am just beginning. It's tough. But - a year ago I couldn't even walk, let alone walk to exercise. Two years ago I was dx with lupus, MS, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and fibromyalgia. This about did me in.
It's been a long road back, surgery, and finally I am facing this weight !
I know in the long run my joints will hurt less if I weigh less and exercise.
I also started Weight Watchers. I go back on Sunday to my second meeting.

Happy Canuk
01-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi and welcome to all you new gals. Nice to have you here. We are a pretty friendly bunch - not many of us, but that's ok.

Exercise is ok. However, it can sure do you in as well. I was doing simple stretches and hurt my lower back, which got the OA going and then FM kicked in and it took 8 WEEKS to get back to normal. So, just start slow. I had only done 3 different exercises 2 x each for only 2 days. Walking is the best for me, and water areobics are great.

9 years ago, I could hardly move. My lower back was classed the same as a person funtioning without an arm. I have done soooo much to get it to where it is today. The fatigue is the worst for me as far as FM goes. Once in awhile a flare will kick in, and if I touch any of the 100's of hot spots on my body, I know it! They say FM isn't progressive. I don't know if it is or not, but it seems like it could be. Many people are diagnosed with FM when in fact they do have MS or other dibilitating diseases.

Meds - I only take them, when I absolutely have to. I take Tylenol 3's or a med that you don't have in the USA. It is a comination of ASA, CODEINE and a good muscle relaxer. That is my drug of choice when I need one:dizzy: I no longer take antidepressants for sleep. I don't do badly there anymore.

I did start working pt after not being able to continue working 9 yrs. ago, and I am LOVING it. It's just 4.5 hrs. a day, doing data entry, but it sure feels good!

Hope you are all having a good day.

Candicej
01-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Happy I could not sit that long day after day! I would have to be up moving or laying down..sitting is what hurts my hips and pelvic region.

MIL wants feeding tube now so we will see what happens.

We are not sure about the move yet it will be awhile before we know for sure. (estate has to be settled) We do know we need to scale down from all of our yard work!!!!!! We could build, we could do a condo, we could do alot of stuff but just not sure where are when yet. I just l know I have a ton of stuff to move when it does happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (since I am still keeping things for my two boys!) I still have most of muy Chrismtas stuff out enjoying it, cause.... if I put it away and we do move before next year I will not beable to find it! :D I love looking at the lights, relaxing! So I am just enjoying them for now..most of my stuff is snowmen or wintery... and I usually leave them out untill Feb.

I know some FM people who take lots of that oxy stuff, they say it is not addicting if your body needs it.........hummmmmm. Right now I can't even get my new rheumy to give me codine!

Yes what ever you do start slow and then even slow you can hurt yourself..or at least I seem to injure my self a lot!!!!!!:eek:

Above all keep a good sense of humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!..and eat a cookie!:D:D:D

MemeToo
01-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Boy ... I just had something freaky happen. I just got a private message from 3fc and they sent me the same one Joanne sent me back when she couldn't find thread 142 ... I forgot she sent me that then and thought she just typed in the wrong number so I sent her the link for THIS thread thinking she couldn't find this one. Then I realized it was an old message. So ... if you got that message before I went back and deleted it Joanne, just ignore it. :p Guess that was a glitch or something! Too weird!

Mima
01-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Good morning-the prednisone for my mom was needed but she took way more than prescribed. I take a low dose myself-5 mg a day. Don't ask me how she got the prescript. She died in 1991-from Leukemia. But she was in a nursing home and they regulated her meds. I took care of her one day and all she did was ask for pillls. Now I take a lot of pills-each for something different. I guess we end up there, especially with fibro and arthritis, .I am feeling better but very wheezy. Hope I am not allergic to Fl. My husband has been wonderful!!!! Have a good Sunday! Mima

motherofthreedogs
01-08-2006, 01:22 PM
I think whoever thinks that oxycodone/oxycontin isn't addictive is fooling themself! I think it's probably one of the most addictive substances out there.

I see that most fibromyalgia patients are over 40 and women. Besides that, are most of them overweight, or does being overweight just exacerbate the condition because it puts more stress on the joints? It seems like such a vicious cycle - you need to exercise for your weight and to keep your strength and muscles active, yet it's harder to exercise. I'm having a heck of a time getting back into exercise. Psychologically, the pain I was feeling isn't as bad now, and I don't look forward to going back to it. Didn't do it last week like I had planned, but will try to start again today.

I see there's also a pre-menopause forum going on. I know that I gained a tremendous amount of weight while going through and now in menopause. My metabolism has gone way down. Is low metabolism also a symptom of fibromyalgia?

Joanne D
01-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Meme- I thought I was losing it for awhile.. I was looking for another Joanne:) .
Motherofthreedogs.. I was addicted to walking a few years ago ,never missed a day and felt gread. Lately ,I am having all kinds of problems getting motivated. Any suggestions are welcome..
Hello everybody...Joanne

MemeToo
01-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Joanne ... Got your email ... yep ... you've got old timers! ;) As for motivation ... I figure once your can actually see your butt following you around that should be motivation enough to move it! :p (Don't take that seriously ... I don't exercise much either!)

Mother of 3 ... I wasn't over 40 when first diagnosed with fibro ... only in my early thirtys and I wasn't overweight. I gained weight when the Drs. put me on so much prednisone and other meds which caused my weight to skyrocket and when the fibro and arthritis became so bad that I became less active because of it. I have since lost all that weight, though, so I am now down to what I should weight for my height. I still have an activity problem, though. There are a lot of things I can't do but I refuse to give up, sit down and do nothing. I do almost all my own house work, laundry, shopping ... keep my 4 grandchildren regularly ... I'm active in my church and community and have a lot of friends. I help my husband run a business plus I teach piano 4 afternoons a week. On top of all that, I have several internet sites I keep up so I stay busy. I had a team of doctors in Nashville tell me back about 25 years ago that it would only be a matter of time until I was in a wheel chair and then from there I would go to the bed and would probably never get up. See ... like I said before I have both kinds of arthrits and fibro along with a lot of other stuff - including sever, untreatable anemia since age 5. Well ... I went home from Nashville (takes about an hour and a half) went to bed, and cried for nearly a week because I had 2 young children. I prayed and prayed ... then one day God just spoke to my heart, "The doctors don't know everything." I got up, washed my face and just kept repeating those words. I'm still repeating them and I'm still walking around!

Tammy
01-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Joanne, someone else said the same thing about not doing the surgery until after I retire. My knees feel pretty good today (knock on wood). I didn't start having knee and back problems until I had lost about 40 pounds. I still tell my doctor that's why it started hurting. lol

Molly, quite a few friends of mine have done or are doing Weight Watchers. I had done it years ago. Going to try going to the Y and cutting back and see if that gets me rolling again in the weight loss department.

Anne, I think the fatigue is the worst part for me too. Yes, I hurt many days, but the tiredness is awful. When we left for Georgia, I slept most of the way to our first hotel (in Kentucky). Bob and Tim went for supper and brought a sandwich back for me because all I wanted to do was sleep. I think after I retire, a part time position might be in line for me.

Candice, there is a condo on my street that is empty. Want to move to Ohio? I have a collection of snowmen that I leave out year round. They are from the Deb Strain Collection. She used to teach with me and was a neighbor, and I love her stuff! I always get one of her calendars for my kitchen. A sense of humor and a cookie! Love that advice!!!

Mima, being allergic to Florida would not be a good thing!!

Joanne, maybe it's just the winter blahs when it comes to the motivation for the walking. You've done great! Don't give up!!

Meme, I got tired reading all that you do! I knew you did all of that, but seeing it all in one place really made me realize it.

Well, I'm off to the South house for the night. Have to be at school early in the morning for an in-service meeting so I decided to stay there so I can sleep later. 20 minutes makes a difference!!

Have a great week everyone!!

MollyB54
01-08-2006, 08:27 PM
"I think whoever thinks that oxycodone/oxycontin isn't addictive is fooling themself! I think it's probably one of the most addictive substances out there."

Oxycodoine is extremely addictive. A "holistic" doctor prescribed it for pain - for lupus and fibro...it didn't take very long for me to realize how addictive it is. I stopped it -- and was very sick. My internist told me that even though I wasn't 'addicted' and had taken it just a couple months, I was 'habituated' (nice way of saying addicted even though I had not 'abused' the prescription). She also told me to call her over the weekend when she was on call. That woman was a godsend. I was very frightened and called her probably half a dozen times, and she helped me through it by explaining what my body was going through.

Fortunately, there are other ways to treat pain, and I went to a comptetent rheumatologist who helped me with that.

Another problem with these kind of pain killers -- they slow CNS & metabolism, meaning it is easier to gain weight when taking them.

Double whammy.

Another drug to avoid, IMHO, is Xyrem (GHB). That same holistic doc prescribed me that for insomnia. I took that all of 4 days and said, '**** no'. The "holistic" doc assured me Xyrem is 'not addictive'. However, even the FDA now says it is.

I want no part of either 'medication.' And I no longer go to that "holistic" doctor!

MollyB54
01-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Tammy, I just started walking again last week....My goal is 5 x a week, to walk at least a mile. Yesterday I walked 2 miles. This is a huge improvement for me, since a year ago I couldn't make it across the room, from pain (and dizziness). I am hoping that exercise (and sticking with WW) will help me lose the weight.
In addition to all the other health problems overweight causes, it is hard on the joints! With fibro and lupus, that is a huge issue for me.

Mima
01-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Good morning!!I actually got to church yesterday, went out to eat, and went to see the Hoppers last night at church!!!! Wow, they were great, I am going to Art class this am. I am on borrowed time there so I better go. They have too many that want to be in that class. It's going to warm up today . When you find out how to get motivated, Joanne, tell me. I haven't even ridden my bike. Mima

MemeToo
01-09-2006, 02:37 PM
I love the Hoppers ... seen them several times and have some of their CDs.

Our kids sang at our church last night along with the Pelfreys from Chattanooga. Was good! We've told our kids they need to make a CD but they all have full time jobs and families and don't want to do that. The little kids 'sang' grace at the dinner table Christmas Day (God Our Father) ... gave me goosebumps. We ALL just sat there in silence when they finished. Then my DIL said, "we just have to get them together and let them practice a song for church." They are going to be good someday, too. (Maybe they'll sing at my funeral) :p

It's 65 today ... everybody around me has the flu or some kind of crud. What do you want to bet I'M NEXT?

Tammy
01-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Molly, way to go on the 2 miles!!! That is awesome that you are able to do that!

I started wearing my pedometer again today. I was wearing it all the time at the beginning of the school year, and for some reason I got out of the habit. Our school nurse has started a Midwinter Meltdown Challenge at school. Each building is a team, and we are competing against each other. Since I had recess duty today, I was able to get plenty of walking in. I hope to be able to go to the Y tomorrow when I get home from school.

Mima, get to those classes!!!!

Meme, I don't like to hear the word funeral even if it's joking. DON'T GET SICK!!!

Knees did ok today, but it felt good coming home and putting my feet up.

Who on here read the book Black by Ted Dekker? I remember someone talking about it. I just finished it last night (well, actually this morning about 1:00!!). Wow! Good! I stopped at the library and picked up the next 2 (Red, White). Haven't started it yet though. Might do that before I go to bed.

MemeToo
01-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Tammy ... I read all three of those ... couldn't put them down. Hubby got real tired of my Ted Dekker phase. ;) I read nearly all his books! Have you read 'Blink' yet? It was awesome!

Mima
01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I will look for those books at the library. Happy Birthday Meme!!!!!!!!!!!Hope you don't get sick. I am feeling much better and I guess Mike is ok-now we can have our Christmas gift exchange. I went to Art class yesterday-my new painting is a challenge-I am trying to paint in the impressionist style. We are having an Art show in march. I really love it but there are some really good painters there!!!I got so much done yesterday-really organizing. Mima

Mima
01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I will look for those books at the library. Happy Birthday Meme!!!!!!!!!!!Hope you don't get sick. I am feeling much better and I guess Mike is ok-now we can have our Christmas gift exchange. I went to Art class yesterday-my new painting is a challenge-I am trying to paint in the impressionist style. We are having an Art show in march. I really love it but there are some really good painters there!!!I got so much done yesterday-really organizing. Mima

MemeToo
01-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Well ... thanks for the happy BD Mima but ... unless I missed something somewhere ... you can wait until May for that. :p This will be my last year to lay a claim to the 50s ... next year will be the big:

6 0

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Happy Canuk
01-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi.

Mima - glad you are feeling better and doing things you enjoy. Good luck with your painting. I didn't THINK it was Meme's birthday!

Meme - you make me quite tired. I think I AM busy, but it is sporatic:dizzy: Hope you are feeling better now.

Candice - here is the place to go to download a very good FREE antivirus. I hope your MIL is doing better, and that you are not so stressed. Moving will not be fun. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 Candice, I could not sit for 4.5 hrs. either. It is an up and down kind of thing I do. Have to go photocopy requisitions etc. It is perfect for what I can do. Hopefully it will last longer than June, but if not, it will be hard to find another job that meets MY needs.

Joanne - hope you will be able to get back to walking soon. I know you enjoy it and it is so frustrating to want to do it, but can't.

Tammy - glad you are feeling better. Makes like a little nicer ,that is for sure.

Molly - good for you walking 2 miles. That is wonderful. Keep it up. It is a gentle exercise.

Well, not doing much today. Worked this morning, and it started snowing around 11:30 a.m. It has been very brown here, and that initself is most unusual. It is warm however, for us. 32F so it will freeze tonight, be really slippery in the morning and then probably melt as it is supposed to be warmer tomorrow. This is sure different weather for us for January. The temp. is usually 30 degrees, but that is usually BELOW:D

Hope everybody is having a great day.

Joanne D
01-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Happy- I did try to do my 3 miles today. I made it for about 2 1/2 . Thank God my hubby came along then to get me. I could not have made it. The pain in my back was awful. I was looking for a place to sit down. I thiink the T/M might be a better choise for awhile.Once I was home and not walking it eased up with the help of advil. I took a long soak tonight.
Good for you Tammy. I have always wanted a pedometer. I think I will get one when I go to walmart.I think I can walk this back problem out.
Meme.. Don't fret the big birthday. My sister Eleni will be there this March. She is planning a big party. With lots of prayer and Gods help she will make 10 more years to 70. I will be 73 this year. March. It's just how you feel,just a number.
Mima- Keep up with the painting . I know you will enjoy it.. I have a quilt that I need to finish.Every day I say I am going to get to it. So far I haven't foung the time.
Hey Candice...Joanne

Tammy
01-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Meme, I haven't read Blink. I saw it at the library though. I'll try to get it after I finish these.

Mima, I'll bet you are as good as most of the others in your class. Now me? That's another story. I drew a picture of my dog on the board one day at school. Kramer is a dachsund. One of the kids thought it was a skateboard!!! I'm serious!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so embarrassed.

Anne, our temps have been in the 40's and 50's lately. Tim commented about it on the way home from school today. Warm and pouring down rain. He is ready to use another snow day. lol I think you are right about finding a job that fits your needs. I know I've talked about that with my doctor different times.

Joanne, our PE teacher was able to order us pedometers a few years ago at a group discount. I think they ended up being about $25 each, but they are really good ones. We have the Digi-Walker SW-701. It clips on your waistband, and then has an elastic strip with a metal clip to clip close to it so you won't lose it. I've lost a couple in the past, so I really like this one. Tim and I went to the Y tonight and walked. He ran for a while too. It felt good, but then toward the end my back was hurting. I knew it was time to quit. There's a pool and whirlpool there, so sometime I might do that after walking.

Speaking of finding time, I think I need to find time to grade some Social Studies projects. They had to design a travel brochure about Ohio. Some of them are awesome! Then there are those that I wonder if they used the planning sheet that I gave them.

Toodles!

MemeToo
01-11-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm still laughing about the skateboard ... I bet you're a hoot when playing pictionary. :D

Hey Joanne ... if it's just how old you FEEL then I don't have to worry about getting old ... been there - done that!!! I passed sixty up in feelings years ago! :p When I got up this morning I was up to about 100!

Mima
01-11-2006, 09:07 AM
You were talking about the temp???? I knew you weren,t that old. Like some of us. Too funny!!! Still into cleaning mode-I even found the missing checkbook. Got my tax stuff out but it's too early. I am going to buy a decent calculator-Brad wants to get one with a tape, Joanne-only walk for a half hour-it's still beneficial.That's what I should do. Mima

MemeToo
01-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Yep ... I was talking about the temp. It was 65 2 days ago, today it is cold but it looks warm, the sun is shining so people go out without coats, and I think we're supposed to get a little snow by the weekend then it's supposed to warm up and more rain. No wonder everybody is so sick!

I haven't been sleeping good. Then, when I do fall asleep, I have these horrible dreams (or nightmares!) :fr: Wake up in a sweat. Then I finally fall into an exhausted sleep and I don't want to get up in the morning ... when I do finally get up I feel like crap. I'm so achy right now I feel like going back to bed and It's only 1:30 in the afternoon. I have to go pick Megan (my best friends daughter) up from school in an hour and I haven't even made my beds yet. This just isn't like me. I'm usually on top of things better than this.

Candicej
01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I can't get motivated either..too much going on..MIL feeding tube is in and in the nursing home. I got her hosue cleaned and the Christmas stuff put away and the laundry done...now to get my stuff done! LOL :) Oh MY! Full palte again!

Thanks Happy I will go to the site.......

Tammy..I do not know the "Deb" collection????? I have a Lenox colletions I leave in my hutch all year and get out at Christmas..Lynn Bywaters..I love it! Do not have lal the pieces, some I do not care for!

Need to go..will check in another day..... Lots of newbees posting here!

Tammy
01-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Meme, Pictionary is NOT one of my favorites. Now you know why!

Mima, good for you on finding the checkbook!! I found a couple things today that I thought that I had thrown away when we moved the last time. lol I've had some weird dreams lately too. Did you ever get your bed made? I always figure that I'm going to be in it again, why should I make it?

Candice, still sending prayers for your MIL. Take care of yourself too!!
I was looking on a calendar that I have of Deb's. I think the actual name of her stuff is Saltbox Creations. There's a website on this calendar, but I don't know if it just shows calendars or it might have all of her stuff.
www.amcalart.com I just might have to check it out. I should just call her and find out if she has a website.

Dentist in the morning. I think that's the last appointment for a while. I hope!

MemeToo
01-12-2006, 04:57 AM
Tammy, you sound just like my husband. He sees no sense in making the beds but I have to have them made. If the beds are made and there are no dishes in the sink I feel like the house is ok. First thing I do after I get dressed in the the mornings is make the beds and wipe up the bathrooms. Last thing I do before I go to bed at night is to empty the kitchen sink and wash it out. Only takes a few minutes.

It's 3 A.M. and I'm still not asleep. Gonna be a L O N G night!

Mima
01-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Good morning, I went to a class called Treasures of Encouragement , which is part of the Women's Ministry at Brad's church. Great-all ages of women. Have to get book because bookstore ran out. I have half of baby poncho done!!!!And plans to crochet!!!! a baby blanket, Pretty good since I know 3 stitches. Hope you feel better Meme. Hi everyone. Mima

Joanne D
01-12-2006, 10:50 AM
One of the first things I do after I have my coffee/breakfast is make the bed. Life long habit. Like Meme,if the bed is made and dishes washed ,I feel like the rest can wait.The best housekeeper ,I'm not. I always said life should have more than work.One of my sisters calls me lazy and not in a very nice way. She is the perfect housekeeper. At least she thinks so. I say this is me and take me or leave me.
It is in the 70's here. It may rain tomorrow and turn cooler. It looks like a mild winter everywhere this year.
I went to dentist yesterday . Hair appointment today and then Tops. I hate getting on that scale. Sometimes I think I would just drop the whole thing,
Joanne

Tammy
01-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Meme, our husbands are just the opposite. Bob makes the bed almost before he is even out of it!! lol You sure were up late when you wrote your message. Get some sleep lady!!

Mima, your class sounds like it would be interesting. When there are all ages, everyone learns so much from each other. A poncho and a blanket!! I can thread a needle and sew a button on. That's about the extent of it.

I'm not the best housekeeper either Joanne. It makes me feel good when Bob comes home from his brother's apartment. He won't even let me go there because it is such a pig sty. Seriously. They never clean. If his brother finishes a pack of cigarettes, he throws the pack on the floor. Bob said ashtrays overflow onto the tables. I don't understand how they can live like that. I know he and his wife weren't raised like that. It has gotten worse since their son moved out. He's 22 now, and he couldn't stand it anymore. I'm not sure how long ago he moved out. I guess our house looks "lived in". It isn't filthy, but everything isn't always in its spot, you know?

MemeToo
01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Yes, it was late and still later when I finally went to sleep ... after 4 A.M. I told hubby I was going to take a strong pill if that happened tonight and sleep in tomorrow and he informed me we have two loads of trailers coming in the morning. Joy!

Candicej
01-13-2006, 05:43 AM
Meme..hope you get some sleep! I didn't see you online or we could have chatted:D

Tammy, I went to the site, no snowmen:(

Joanne, I love a clean house but can't always keep it that way especially since we have so much clutter (boxes of stuff we can't store in the moldy basemnet) I really have to part with some things I guess) I love to celan but it makes me hurt really bad, but I'm sure it does the same to all of you too! I keep the sink clean and the beds made too but do not get the sweeper run as much as I should. DH likes it clean but never notices when I work so hard to keep it that way!..he only notices if he he is writing a check to pay the gal who comes every now and then to help me! LOL This move will really set me back..............I'm not sure I am going to do alot of potting this year (gardening).

We are getting snow tonight but it will melt by Saturday they say. I hurt so bad I knew I frort was doing something.

MIL can't speak, move much or see too well but still thinks she can boss people around with her finger! (Dh's description) LOL she is poor poor thing!

Gotta got to that site Happy put up for me.......

Mima
01-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Bless you Candice. It's so hard when someone is sick, even when they are in a nursing home. Well, I got my yarn for the blanket and started it. The end is a bit tight and the rest is loose but I am not going to rip it out. Mint, yellow, and white. And soft yarn. Getting hair cut today . I have been cleaning because we are having company but don't know when. But I can't dust! Wheezing. Tammy, my house has organized clutter but I have been on this organization binge. Getting there. Small house. Mima It's going to rain here.

Joanne D
01-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Candice- I have to agree that having mil in the nursing home is no fun. We had my hubbys mother in one for 8 years. She was very difficult and they almost threw her out a few times. If I had not been working there they may have. Try to stay in the background and let them take care of her problems as much as you can . It will mean less stress for you.
meme- Lucky you. In over 52 years my hubby has never made a bed.
Tammy- My house is pretty clean. It just doesn't pass muster with my sister Mary. TOO BAD.Everybody else is comfortable here. I vacumn once a week, keep the dust at bay, laundry done ,etc,etc.. You get the picture.
Hope you all have a great weekend...Joanne

Tammy
01-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Meme, hope the loads of trailers went smoothly for you.

Candice, are you moving to my street? We could be neighbors and have lots of fun!!

Mima, organized clutter! I love it! That's what I'll tell Bob that we have. I'm sure he'll be impressed. Maybe. We had our entertainment center delivered today. Now we can get some boxes unpacked! Videos, dvds, my clown collection, and who knows what all can go on/in this thing.

Joanne, you can come to visit me, but Mary can't. lol

Weekends are great!

Right now the wind is blowing quite hard, and it is raining. I'm the only one here. My first storm at the new house. Wonder if I should mark it on the calendar?

Tammy
01-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Me again! I found another site for Deb Strain's stuff. It looks like mostly her cards,etc., but you can get an idea of what kind of work she does. I have some of her stationery, wall calendar, and lots of her snowmen. Some are ornaments, others are on shelves.

www.saltboxillustrations.com/artists/artist

Also this one, but I haven't checked it out yet.
www.countrycompanyofvermont.com/DebStrain.htm

MemeToo
01-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Joanne ... why are you saying lucky me linked with your hubby never making a bed? My hubby never makes beds either. He's the one I said doesn't see any sense in making beds. His motto is, "why make them when you're going to get right back in them tonight?" :lol: He has, on occasion made his bed ... but only when he knew I was going to make it and that was going to make us be late for something. ;)

It's snowing ... I'm supposed to be at a ball game at 8 A.M. in the morning. Don't count on it Kaylyn!!! :p

Happy Canuk
01-14-2006, 02:36 AM
Hi everybody.

I am one of those neat freaks. I always make the bed and do the dishes, clean up the stuff that is sitting around, like the newspaper etc. I absolutley cannot stand clutter. I just don't have much stuff I am not using. I don't miss it. My hubby never made a bed either.

I hope everybody is feeling well. We are having Spring in January. Sure hope it isn't going to be payback time down the way.

Mima
01-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Good old Walmart!!! My daughter's boyfriend gave us a Shiatsu massager for Christmas-the same one I brought back last year. It hurts my thin bones so I brought it back without the slip and got another one that just vibrates and you can use it in the car also-very nice, Enough money left to get a calculator withe a tape to do the taxes. Just love those bargains. They had only marked it down $ 11 and this was marked down $8. So I am out $3-haha!!! It got cooler here-60's. I am getting a massage today. Meme-we just love your jokes!!! Mima

Joanne D
01-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Meme- Sorry about that. It was Tammy's hubby.I have these moments.
Hello Everybody. This will be short.. Got lots to do. It is windy and cool today. I have a tree in back that has passed on. My hubby won't cut it down. He says it may come back. It has no leaves and is brown. I wonder what it will come as.
back lateer..Joanne

Happy Canuk
01-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Joanne, it must be a "man" thing. My hubby used to grow dead trees as well. Only, after a couple of years, they did revive and grew to be big and strong.

Mima - glad you got your vibrator seat. They alway feel good.

Now, here's the truth, so listen up :carrot:

http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/excid_004601c6186e_93890ee0_3b4d4146atVAL.jpg

MemeToo
01-14-2006, 03:18 PM
We still didn't get either load of trailers. One load is supposed to come in today. I got up early again this morning but it hasn't come yet. First the guy said he'd been having truck problems, then he said it was the rain. He'll probably blame it on the snow today. We got nearly 2 inches last night but the roads are clear. I hate doing business with him but his trailers are better than most and so are his prices. This snow has really hurt me. I'm downing the Darvocets today! :(

My hubby has been working so much overtime at the shop I don't see him much and that's a GOOD thing ... can't stand him when he works this much. He's a bear. He comes home with work on his mind and I can't get him to do anything or talk about anything ... and when he's home he has guys calling him from the shop. He's so grouchy ... I'll be glad when this job is done in a way ... (the money is good, though, $44 an hour for overtime and he put in about 60 hours this week!) God works in mysterious ways ... guess He knew our taxes and insurance both came due this month and we would need the extra money. ;)

http://www.memeart.com/images/Maxine/max13.jpg

MemeToo
01-14-2006, 04:43 PM
YOU AIN'T GONNA BELIEVE THIS!

The trailers finally came. The guy got lost, called and said he was sitting a few miles down the road in a church parking lot. I told him what he did wrong and how to get here. (I only live one mile from I 40 ... only have to make ONE turn ... easiest place in the world to find!) Then, when he got here I told him where to park the trailers. He's pulling a trailer about 30' long with a sleeper tractor ... our driveway curves around the house in the back and instead of backing it up in the driveway he backs it down in the field to turn it around ... IDIOT! It just snowed last night and the snow is melting. He got it stuck. A 45' rig loaded with trailers is now stuck outside in my field and my husband is 40 miles away! Ain't life grand!!! His wife (or girlfriend) came with him. I told them they'd just have to sit there until he came to pull them out with the tractor.

Meanwhile ... MIL called in a panick and said, "did you know there's a tractor-trailer truck stuck in your field?" :p It just gets better 'n better. I told her I did and she said she was afraid I wasn't home and somebody needed to call hubby and tell him about it (that somebody being her of course!) I kept hearing somebody talking really loud in the background ... at first I thought it was the TV but then I heard a man laughing so I asked her if she had company. She said yes so I asked who it was and she said some man stopped to see about the TV. I said, what ... she said some man stopped to talk to them about their TV running on an antenna. The first thing I thought about was a con man. So I said, Ruby, what's going on ... who's there. Well, she hung up on me. Just hung up the phone. Scared me to death. I had to call hubby back about the trailers so I told him what happened and he told me to go over there. Then he said wait and I'll call them first. He called and they had let a stranger into their house. Some man had seen their antenna from the road and wanted to know if it picked up all the channels ok and they had just let him come in and watch their TV. She called me back after hubby called them and said she hung up because she couldn't hear me but ... she hung up because she didn't want to tell me what she had done!

I'M SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS!

Joanne D
01-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Happy- Believe me this tree is not going to come back!It is dead.
Meme- Most truck drivers are not too smart. I hope your MIL got the guys out of the house before they robbed them. How scary is that. I won't even let the neighbor guys in the door. Down here it is just not done. If someone comes up on the porch they are lucky if I talk to them through a locked door.. I hope your hubby had a few words with them..
Hello everybody
Bye,stay warm...Joanne

Tammy
01-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I was laughing about growing the dead trees or wondering what the trees would come back as. My dad planted a stick once that was supposed to be an ash tree. I made fun of him and we all laughed and laughed. You should see that tree now! It's tall and beautiful. That is one bad part about moving from that house. My dad planted most of the trees in the yard. Of course, we sure didn't like them when we had to mow and rake leaves!!!

Loved the cartoons!!!

Meme, what a day for you!!! Is the truck/trailer moved yet? Did your MIL get rid of the stranger? Oh my!!!!

Bob's brother and SIL stopped here today to see the house. One of Debbie's comments was, "It's so clean!" I thought Bob was going to choke when she said it. After living like they do, I'm sure this is immaculate. Actually, right now it is! It's the old house that needs the help right now.

Speaking of, I'm heading to the old house for the night. Early church tomorrow, so I thought I'd stay down there. Also get to play with the dog this evening. Can't wait till the porch is finished to move him up here.

MemeToo
01-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Hubby had a talk with them and she called yet again tonight and I had another talk with her about letting strangers in. I told her they were going to let the wrong person in some day and they were going to rob them or shoot them or both. She agreed so we'll see. And our best friend called and found out what was going on so he came over with his boom truck, pulled out the tractor and trailer load and all and then stayed and helped unload the whole thing. With his boom truck they had it unloaded in about an hour. It would have taken hubby several hours with his tractor with the fork lifts on front. We go to church together and always eat out on Sunday so when hubby came in he was so tired, he said John didn't know it yet but he was buying his whole family's dinner tomorrow. He was so grateful ... I told you all wrong ... when I looked at the spec sheet he brought in, that trailer he got stuck out there was 82" wide, 38' long - loaded - and attached to a big sleeper tractor. What a mess that was!!! Well ... maybe next week will be better. I can always hope! :D

Mima
01-15-2006, 06:55 AM
Wow!!!!!My nephew rolled his truck over in a small river and they had to get the boom truck to upright it. And he has a tow truck. It;s all over for the Patriots!!! Glad I didn't stay up. But I woke up at 4:30-nap today!!! We wnt to Mike's last night and did our presents. Evan loved everything, especially the McDonald's play set I bought at a yard sale. Oooh-he is so cute, And Alison loved the piano book Wicked and all her clothes. mike gave me sheets and towels which I have a lot of so I think I'll take it back to Target-gift receipts- and get a rug for under my coffee table. I have to bring back his stuff . I had a massage yesterday and my back hurt when I got up this morning. ????? We leave for church at 7:30. so bye-Joanne, our neighbors dead tree is growing again!! Mima

MemeToo
01-16-2006, 02:23 AM
Mima ... our friend owns a propane company and has lots of trucks and tractors. His wife is my best friend in the whole world. He is also an excellent mechanic! Good to have friends like that! ;) But ... we will have to buy his dinner another time because we wound up spending the whole day at their house today. She cooked. (Well, it was a joint effort, we cooked after we got there ... then went back for leftovers after church tonight!) :p

I am hurting worse right now than I have in many years. Anybody else having this problem or is it just me? I'm wondering if it's the weather or stress or maybe something I'm eating or doing or WHAT! If it's the weather then maybe it's happening to somebody else??? :?:

Mima
01-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Wheat makes me ache, so does dairy. And wheeze. Have the doc do a blood test for food sensitivities. Rast? Of course, I haven't been good. Out to eat 2x yesterday. We are trying to decide if we want to be part of a Faith team that goes to people's houses, as a team, to witness to them. They had a presentation last night like the Dave Letterman show. It was too funny and certainly got the message across, Art today~~Mima

Happy Canuk
01-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Yes Meme, the weather makes me hurt as well - if it is humid. Our winter is usually pretty dry, but yesterday, everything I own hurt! Couldn't figure out why, but then it snowed. We haven't had snow since before Christmas and then not much. Of course, stress and FM go hand in hand. Probably affects every thing. Try to just relax, have a nice warm bath and read a book.

Hope everybody is feeling well.

Mima
01-17-2006, 07:13 AM
I want to start a new thread-tell me how??? Mr.Evan was here last night-he now cries when he has to leave and was looking for me Sunday night at dinnertime because I had been there the night before. I waited 14 years for that. Busy, busy , busy. I have to start getting taxes ready. I know someone who can help me. He is still sleeping. Mima

Tammy
01-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Meme, I've been hurting more too. Could be stress, the weather, or any number of things with me.

Teacher work day was great yesterday. I was able to get so much done in the classroom. I filled 1.5 garbage bags with junk! Now I'll probably need that junk next week. lol

Off to school!!

Joanne D
01-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I tried to start a new thread once and made a mess of it..I hurt today too. Yesterday I was able to walk 2 miles ,today ,I don't think so.I guess if it is still there in a week or so the Dr. will have a look.
I did a lot of running around today that will have to do...Joanne

Happy Canuk
01-17-2006, 04:10 PM
OK, I'll start a new thread, as this one IS pretty long now.