Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Default Wakeup Moment...

I work at a hospital in the nursing department. Last night in the ICU we had a 460 pound lady we were putting back into bed and only half her butt made it on the bed and her knees could not support her anymore and we had to let her lower to the floor. We had to get a sturdy slide board, call security, and call all the larger men in the hospital to roll her onto the board and it took 8 people to get her back into the bed. I felt mortified for the lady, and embarassed about my own weight.
Melody2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #2  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

Wow. I definately feel for the woman, I bet she was so embarassed. Its really sad, and you know probably half the people that helped her up would have gone home and told someone :/ That's how people are.

Definately a wake-up! We don't want that to happen to us.
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #3  

I watched a show the other day on Discovery that tracked the progress of a 500+ pound lady. It was horrifying. My heart was in my stomach the whole time I watched. I just felt so bad for her but at the same time was amazed, inspired, and motivated. My very first thought was, "How does a person let their weight get THAT high". Then, it occured to me. Her weight got that high the same way mine got to 214. I just happened to have turned my habits around sooner than she did. But, I don't have any doubt that I would have been 500 pounds before too long had I not made a commitment to get healthy last year. It truly was an eye opener.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I might have seen the same one you did--Jackie's Story, I think? I sat there and just cried for her...and for me as well, to be truthful.

She is definitely a motivation to get busy and get rid of this weight!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

That would be a wake up call. That could have been any of us if we don't get control of what we eat. Thanks for sharing with us.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #6  

You are right Jen, it was "Jackie's Story" - and she was 627 pounds. I just checked the website and they will be airing it again January 22 at 8:00 and 11:00 PM (et) if anyone is interested in catching it. I thought it was hard to watch but well worth it.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #7  

Hi girls
I just joined yesterday and I am still checking out this site... I have over 100 pounds to loose, although I set my goal at 95... I want to be realistic in what I think I can accomplish, and I don't necessarily want to be skinny, just healthy, and comfortable in my own skin again...

I saw a program on TV a month or so ago... Where this skinny news caster dressed up in a fat suit and was in tears at the end of the day because of how people treated her... She was very pretty even in the fat suit, and she was describing how people wouldn't wait on her first at a restaurant, how people would not look her in the eye, and how sales people at department stores shunned her, and people would stare at her as she walked down the street...

I've not experienced any of this kind of treatment myself, and I am a big ole girl... I was just curious has anyone here been treated like this? I tend to think its personality that people react too instead of JUST the fat... Either that or I am oblivious to it... And I am often the biggest gal in the room... Soo I am interested if anyone else has experienced such things...

I would be mortified if I had been that lady at the hospital... One of the reasons its time I get off my butt and do something about it while I still have time, I'm 46 and I have heard after 50 its gets even harder to lose it, plus I am tired of my joints aching from the extra pounds...

Sooo glad I found this place... I needed it

Penny
Penny Loewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

How sad for that woman. You know, one of the reasons I started losing weight was because as I approached 50, I thought how horrible it would be to have a heart attack and not be able to fit on the stretcher.

Penny, I started my weight loss journey at almost 50 years old, and lost 60% of the weight in the first year. I'm still not 100% of the way, but I've made some "maintenance choices" for the past year. I have about 20 lbs. to lose to make my goal, and I'm noticing that it's really tough. Not sure if that's because I'm over 50 or if it's just the usual last 20 lbs. kind of thing. Be sure to add exercise, especially weight training, into your program. That really helps.

I had a friend who was about the weight the reporter was in the fat suit. She wasn't treated all that well by people when she went out in crowds--hurtful comments and stares. She had a wonderful personality, too, so it was just people who looked at her size only and never bothered to speak with her.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #9  

Hi Sheila...
I see that you are from Oregon, so am I... I am from The Dalles, where are you from?

Penny
Old 01-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Beaver Nation! Love those college towns.

I can tell your avatar photo wasn't taken recently. You've been hit with lots of wind, rain and snow lately, haven't you?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #11  

Yey two other people from Oregon!
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #12  

Oh my yes, we have had a ton of WET WEATHER, along with rock slides and such, but the photo was taken in Sept in Tx... ITS WARM AND GREEN THERE, (grin)...
Old 01-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #13  
a new year... a new me

how sad! both for the lady in the hospital and the one on tv. my kinda wake up call happened at wal mart of all places... i've noticed that my back and left knee and ankle are starting to hurt me a lot more especially when i'm walking through there. anyway one day i was walking down an aisle and this very large man was wheeling by me in one of the motorized carts and he was on oxygen. i started thinking all sorts of things... i wonder how much he weighs, am i getting close to being where he is, i better do something, etc. it took me a while as this happened a couple months ago but i think about that man nearly every day and i start to worry because i KNOW that if i dont do something i'm gonna be wheeling through wal mart on oxygen.
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:59 AM   #14  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

My wake up call was recently when one of my best friends was diagnosed with onset diabetes and although she has 10 years on me in age she weighs about 15 pounds less than me. I got scared. I am already trying to head another health problem off at the pass so to speak I do not want another.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #15  

My Wake Up Moment(s)

Knees started to hurt
Can't sleep well
Bras hurt
My stomach is in the way
I don't feel sexy
I stopped looking foward to going out
My size 20 Jeans at Lane Bryant didn't fit!!!! This one really pissed me off. I refuse to buy a bigger size. Gives me a real short cut to gaining weight.
Pictures of me. OMG-who the **** is that?!? No, seriously, who is that. No way in **** is that me!!

Being 30 and feeling horrible. I turned 30 in December, and I wished to be fit and healthy as I blew out my candles. I wished to be fit & thin for about uhm, the last 14 years. Gets old. And then, I cut my cake and was ashamed of myself as I ate it. Ugh.

But that's ok. For my 31 year birthday....ooooh, watch out!
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote