LA Weight Loss - Winter Plan - New Year

View Full Version : Winter Plan - New Year

ledom
01-02-2006, 08:21 AM
With a New Year before us it is a natural time to make fresh plans to fulfill in the coming year. Determination coupled with patience will be the reoccuring mantra for our winter plans not matter what they may be. Anyone is welcome to join us in posting here.

ledom
01-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Well, my new years resolution to get back with it starts today. I am ready, willing and able. For the next few days I am going to be counting calories with the eye on having some 1200 cal days. I will do my regular workouts, and add an evening walk. I need this kickstart to recover the ground I lost during the holidays.

aleka
01-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for starting a new thread, ledom. I really like the title.

Hope you all had a great New Year. We put away our Christmas decorations for another year.

I'm starting fresh today also. I plan on eating right and start exercising again. I won't be able to do any serious exercise for a while, my back flared up again and I'm taking it easy. I pulled a muscle many years ago and sometimes if I move the wrong way it flares up. I was walking Lacee, turned to look at something, then the pain started. Luckily we now have the hot tub and that makes it feel better.

Enjoy your day, ladies

LaDean
01-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi girls. yes love the title just fits us. so glad you 2 are starting plan today and all to. me i am also. got turkey in oven. and i plan to get with some exercise and add to it this new year. going to make me a chart and have certain time for it and all. maybe i will stick with it. ha ha its so good to be able to come in here and share with all of you.. good luck.. LaDean

ledom
01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Just checking in at the end of the day. I did good today. I did my workout, calories came in at 1298 and I did my night walk. I felt so much better after I exercised. I splurged and overate on Jan. 1 and let me just say that I feel rotten when I do that. It is hard to exercise, it is hard to get up in the morning. I am very happy to be on the other side of the holiday season.

Alice, how is your back today? Better I hope. Judi I know you will have fun with the baby. You'll have to let us know how it goes. LaDean, I like you optimism - we will be successful this year.

esteban
01-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks for starting the New Thread:carrot: You sound very focused Ledom.

I too feel inspired...this is the first year I am down after Christmas in my memory.

How is your back today Alice?

Are you being affected by all the rain we hear on CNN that Oregon is getting LaDean?

We have been getting quite a bit though not as bad as the US. We have had a few short power outages. Both times when I was trying out a new bread maker:fr: so I end up having to chuck it out.

Baby was here and was so much fun. He is such a good little guy, no trouble at all...just plays with his toys and keeps his eye on the cats (they in turn really keep their eye on him). I know he would love to grab and squeeze them but they are having none of it. We had him since Sunday night and my D and SIL picked him up last night.

Have a good day and keep those resolutions.

ledom
01-03-2006, 04:39 PM
judi - so glad you had fun w/ Baby. He sounds like a little doll. How old is he now? I have 2 friends that have grandbabies and they are so in love with the little ones. I remember how my mother was when my D was born, something to look forward to.

Ah, I go back to work on the 16th. Yikes!!! How do you prepare?
Well, I started by setting my alarm this a.m., albeit about an hour and a half later that I will have to get up for work. I set the kitchen timer so I would only spend an hour on breakfast, paper and internet, did my workout and still managed to be 20 minutes late to my hair appointment. But I am gearing up.

This morning while working out I had on the TV and Richard Simmons was on the Today Show. Did any of you see him? He wasn't on long but he said 2 things that stuck with me. Katie asked him how often you should work out and his answer was, how many days do you eat? Funny, cute, haha, I do believe in rest day but I take the point. The other thing he said was that people become obese because they don't love themselves enough. Food for thought, I am mulling that one and have decided in my case he may be right. I believe I'll work on that this coming year as well...

ledom
01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Back for my evening check in. judi - i am focused. I am a woman with a mission! Good diet, good workout, and my extra mile walk in the bag.

esteban
01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Ledom: Yes, those are two good thoughts.

I exercised hard for an hour today, though I only claimed moderate exercise earning 295 calories:carrot: I feel jazzed too!

Going back to work...that is another big change, eh? You will be going back with a lot of experience and ideas that your students will benefit from.

Goodmorning Alice & LaDean!

BfL_Cat
01-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Hello everyone - I'd like to join you gals for a while, if you'll have me....

Ledom - how are you? I'm sad to say that I'm working on re-losing pounds I've gained back over the past year, but enough is enough and I'm serious about getting this back under control. I'm hoping it will come off readily, as it's not been on that long... (keeping fingers crossed!).

To introduce myself to the rest of the group, my name is Cindy, I'm 42, single and live in upstate NY. Ledom and I met on another thread here at 3FC and have kept in touch on and off over the past year or so.

Three years ago I did a year of Body for Life and took off 60 pounds and 3 dress sizes, and kept it off for the next year. However, I was single at the time, and was able to insulate my life from outside influences when it came to food. Now I've been in a relationship for a year, and the "real world" has had a bad influence on me - not to mention that I went from working out 5 days a week, to not at all.

But that's in the past, and I've resolved to get back into my healthy habits and get myself back into shape. I've got a cruise coming up at the end of March, and then summer at the lake in June, so I've chosen a water theme for my ticker goals.

I'll have to do some reading of your past thread to get caught up on who's who.

Hope you all are having a great day!
Cindy

ledom
01-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Cindy!!!!!! I am so very happy to have you here!

Girls, let me introduce you to Cindy - she's the sweetest lady ever. Another cat lover, which we NEED on this thread. Just a great addition to our little neck of the web.

So lovely to see you here. Love your ticker, as you might notice, I like that fish theme too!

judi - way to go with the hour of exercise. It is empowering, isn't it.

I will be watching the Biggest Loser special tonight at 7central on NBC. If it is playing in your area I highly recommend it. These shows are so inspirational.

Once again, welcome Cindy.

ledom
01-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Cindy!!! So very lovely to find you here!

Alice, Judi, and LaDean, let me introduce you to the sweetest lady Cindy. We have talked diet before and she has lots of insight, is an adventuresome cook, and loves kitties. I know you'll like her as much as I do.

Judi - way to go on the hour of exercise. It is very empowering isn't it? Today is my rest day but I'll be back at it in the a.m.

If you guys read this in time let me recommend the special Biggest Loser tonight on NBC at 7 p.m. Central time. These shows are very inspirational.

Love it that you are here Cindy!!

BfL_Cat
01-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks Ledom! Glad you're glad I'm here!

I plan to watch BL tonight, IF I can wrestle the remote away from DBF - he'll be wanting to watch the Rose Bowl instead! But, I am DVRing it regardless, so I'll get to watch it at some point.

Let's just hope I can get through the evening w/o snacking!
Cindy

LaDean
01-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Hi welcome to the board and nice to meet you.. this is a fun one and you knowing ledom will know it is. glad you have joined us. LaDean

ledom
01-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey - how is everyone? I missed my computer time this a.m. so just now checking in. Three days into my New Year buckle down and I am feeling infintely better! Holiday lbs. are coming off slow but steady and though I won't reach pre-holiday by tomorrow I think I will by next Friday. (judi - aren't you glad you avoided that this year!) At least I am aiming for that. I have had really good workouts this week and my muscles are looking pumped. It is so weird, at this weight a month ago I felt so slim, now having been a bit lower, this weight has been feeling very heavy. I am ready to get the slim feeling again. I did go through my closet last night and took a survey. I removed several things that are definitively too large now. I have a couple of 18's that are wearable but a little tightish in the waist band. I am very ready to slip into a solid comfortable 18 and on to a 16 pretty darn fast. I have decided not to buy anything new until I lose 8 more lbs. when I'd like to buy some little something as a reward. But I am thinking in early summer I might be ready for a bunch of new clothes. Just little tricky thinking to get me where I want to be!

After watching BL last night all I could think was - no excuses. I am done with excuses. I am the master of excuses but no more thank you very much.

BfL_Cat
01-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Hello everyone - just popping in to say Hi!, and keep myself accountable.

My eating is going well, but I've not been able to work out this week due to a migraine/bad headache. Not sure what's causing it - maybe a combo of sinus issues and stress.

I'll give it a few days and hit the gym hard on Monday.

Everyone have a good Friday!
Cindy

LaDean
01-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Hi , my day was good. scales were down 7 lbs of the 12 i gained ove r holidays. so now just up 4 lbs. that sounds so much better. its coming off to.. i am with my plan goodnow and exercising. hope all of you are to. glad your doing good cindy.. LaDean

ledom
01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
LaDean, I know what you mean to be shedding the Christmas weight. It just has to go and thankfully it does go pretty quickly if you don't stall about taking it off.

Couldn't sleep so I got up extra early this a.m. I have been doing a little housework and have an eating for life cheesecake in the oven. As soon as it comes out I'll head down to the basement for my workout.

Cindy, sorry about the headache. That can really put a damper on things. Sometimes, even without a headache, I find moving into new routines go better for me if I don't rush them. Like, a week of good diet and then add in the exercise so I think you are making good progress. A week of good food will also make those workouts easier. I find when food is not nutritious it is 10 time harder to get the workout done.

Alice, you are being quiet. I hope all is well with you.

judi - what's up?

ledom
01-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Morning ladies. Happy weekend. I am happy to report that this morning my scale and my ticker coincide. That is a great feeling. I am ready to cover some new ground and hopefully get that running kitty off the starting line by weigh in day next friday.

LaDean
01-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi, so happy for you. you go girl. me i am struggling down the scale again. but i will get it to moving faster. i just got to stick with it. I wish all of you a good weekend. LaDean

ledom
01-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Goodmorning-Having been blessed with great health for such a long time I have succumbed to a nasty cold. The kind that has me wanting me to do nothing more than sleep. I am congested and my back hurts. So, I suppose I won't work out today. I am of the, rest until you feel better type. Anyway, not much going on here the last couple of days. I do have to get out to take my mother to town and I have to go to a meeting tonight and that will be about it. Hope the rest of you are doing well.

BfL_Cat
01-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Good afternoon everyone! Sorry I've not been around for a few days, but life is busy, and it keeps me off the computer quite a bit.

Ledom, sorry to hear about your cold. Have you every heard of the herbal supplement Airborne? I'm a HUGE fan of it for preventing and getting rid of colds. I've been taking it as needed for 2 years now, and have not been sick that entire time! Sam's Club and other warehouse clubs have it for the best price - 3 tubes of 10 for about $14.

I hate to admit that I still have not gotten my butt into the gym yet! Last week it was the headaches, and this week I just couldn't get myself going in the morning, and I had an 8am call I had to be on time for. Usually I don't get into my office until around 8:30am, which is fine because we have that flexibility, but today I couldn't be late. But, Pete and I did take a couple of brisk walks this weekend, and we will again tonight - trying to get in the habit of doing so before dinner.

Speaking of dinners, I've planned 4 great entrees for myself this week - lasagna, butter chicken, WW taco soup, and a new Cooking Light one - Thai beef casserole (I think), out of this month's issue. I'm trying to get more chicken/turkey and/or fish into my weeks, but ground beef is just so darned easy to cook with! That, and trying to find recipes that I can boost up the carbs for Pete, so he feels fuller, and that I can sub veggies or something else for. Oh, wait, I bought catfish too - I have a recipe for a Cajun catfish that I just love. So, I'm feeling good about the week foodwise - 2 dishes prepeared already, and the other which can be thrown together quickly.

You gals can help by giving me a hard time about not getting some exercise it - I have got to get going on that!

Glad everyone's holiday weight gain doesn't seem to be permanent - mine is down 5 as well this week, although moving into my bloaty week, so I should really wait until next weekend to determine how I've done.

Ok, need to finish my lunch and get back to work. Hope everyone has a great day!
Cindy

esteban
01-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone!

Nice to meet you Cindy ... I am glad you are here.

Sorry for not checking in ... time has sort of sped away after Christmas. I have been cleaning up for the new year and watching a lot of hockey and sort of lost focus.

I didn't lose this week. I am just going to focus on the next 5 pounds and try to have a 10 pound avatar up by the end of the month. That is realistic I think.

Weather here has been rain and more rain...that is ok though...everything still looks green and I can tell the days are getting longer:D

The baby will be 2 on Jan. 23...time is flying. We are all getting him a Thomas bed (you know 'thomas' the train).

I have to go back in the last thread and see what my resolutions were:o so that tells you how I am doing there.

How is the cold Ledom? Is your foot better Alice?

Hi LaDean!

ledom
01-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Afternoon folks, I am feeling better. I am so drugged w/ cold meds though that it's hard to tell. I'll skip the next round and see what is drippy and or sore. Airborne? I have never heard of that Cindy. Does it come in pill form, liquid? I am not sure where to even look for it. We don't have a Sam's Club here, maybe Wal Mart? I will check it out though.

Once the new year was over I have been able to move back into sticking with my diet. Exercise has been good too though I have skipped today. I have been having nice little .25 drops most days. I have my eye on 5 lbs. as well judi and I also would like to make that by the end of the month. I agree we should be able to do that.

Cindy, brisk walks are a great start to getting back into exercise. Like so many things, just getting started is the hardest part. I know you will do it.

This is the last week of my sabbatical :cry:. Working out is going to be so much tougher! My strategy so far is that I just have to do it. I just have to. When the alarm goes off I have to set my feet on the floor. That is the hardest part, just not hitting snooze. As LaDean says, we will and can do this!

My house is about 50 years old and has had very little remodeling done. My bathroom has a shower only and DD's has a tub only. Anyway, since she moved out I have really been enjoying some time long hot baths w/ eucalyptus salts. I have gotten to the point where I actually crave them. Anyway, that is where I am headed right now, for a good long soak.

Good to hear from you guys. Alice, hope all is well your way.

Oh, and Cindy, your food sounds really good. Good for you for pre-cooking.

BfL_Cat
01-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey everyone - I worked out today! Not only did I do 15 minutes on the Elliptical, I also lifted! I did a mild chest/shoulders workout, and I can tell I am going to be sore tomorrow! But, it will be a good sore, and I'm proud of myself for taking this first step - finally! I have not lifted in over a year, that after 2 years of hardly ever missing a workout!

Also, my Steps came in yesterday - ordered from Walmart.com - I got an original health club step, and one of the High Steps, which came with a Cathe video. I've heard her workouts are tough, so a goal may be to be able to finish that workout with her. I wanted to have something at home to do in evenings or weekends, and the big step can double as a bench for lifting, so I thought I'd go this route. I really don't have the space for any sort of treadmill or elliptical. I do have an ancient NordicTrak which I may blow the dust off of as well.

Ledom - Airborne is a fizzy tablet that you dissolve in water and drink. Much more palatable than AlkaSeltzer however, so don't let you scare you off. I prefer the orange flavor. You take it once every 3 hours while feeling cold symptoms, and it helps immensely to lessen the cold. I take it before flying or being in large crowds, and if I ever feel any twinge of a cold coming on. I truly have not had a full blown cold since I started taking this. And yes, WalMart should have it, in the cold remedy section. It's pricey, but worth every penney!

Ok, time to get back to work - I snuck in here early today!
Cindy

LaDean
01-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi all. hey cindy my good exercise is walking but i turn on the music and i dance. taking line dance. but lots of time i just do my own thing. move for so long and you get it all over. i love it. just an idea. and can do it inside and all. your doing good.
Ledom, hubby has a cold to. hope i do not get it.. this one going around lasts for while.. Hope you get better. i thought i was getting it so tired. but think that is coming off all the holiday sugar i had. ha ha sure taking awhile to get the scales to go down futher. ha ha oh well at least i am heading in right direction. I wish all of you a good day. LaDean

ledom
01-10-2006, 01:21 PM
:cp: Go Cindy- I know how hard it is to get started and YOU DID IT! I think it is a good idea to have some exercise options. I think every little thing that you can do to help yourself succeed with your goals is worth it.

LaDean, the sugar blahs. Boy do I know what you are saying. You'd think that the dragged out feeling that eating sugar gives you would be enough to make us not want it. If only that were the case.

I am still under the weather today but better. I am going to try to do my workout tomorrow, today I am laying on the couch and watching movies. I just rented The Wedding Crashers and Broken Flowers. The kitties and I are keeping the couch warm. I did find the airborne and am taking that as well as some emer'gen-c so I guess I am megadosing the vitamin c.

Hey to Alice and judi.

esteban
01-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone:D

I know what you feel Ledom about taking meds and not knowing if you are getting better or not...that was the way it was with me for a long time...I still feel slightly queasy at times (could be who knows what...haven't got my test results yet) and I still cough a bit. AND I had my flu shot too!!:mad: Well, it fits with my own theory that somehow it has to do with eating meat...earlier when I was a meat eater I used to get flus etc. then I stopped eating meat for about 8 years and NEVER had a flu or cold and now the first year back eating meat again I had the flu and a cold...same with my DH. I never have seen any hard scientific evidence to back this up ... just our experience.

I have doing good on the food mostly because I have been feeling queasy. I am having a hard time drinking the water though. BLECH!

Good for you on your exercise program CINDY!!!

Sorry to hear your DH has a cold LaDean. Good for you on the line dancing...that must be fun.

It has actually STOPPED raining here today...wonder of wonders.

Hi Alice!

BfL_Cat
01-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I watched Wedding Crashers this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Let me know what you think of Broken Flowers. I've joined Netflix and have quite a list of movies to get through. However, I'm on my own with that sort of film, as Pete refused to watch anything foreign or art house/independent. Actually, he will "watch" them - meaning he's asleep after the first 15 mintues! Men!

ledom
01-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Cindy, I liked Broken Flowers a lot. Pete probably won't - it's very arty.

ledom
01-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Oh Boy, I had one of those nights. After laying around the last couple days nursing my cold, it was a long and sleepless night. After tossing and turning most of the night I decided to get up and clean out an old dresser drawer that is full of momentos, etc. I hadn't looked in that drawer in some time and came out with a shoebox full of old pictures, news clippings etc. It was a walk down memory lane that I was not expecting. I think I had blocked some of this stuff out. There were about 3 photographs taken of me in the early 90's, my grad school years, a stressful time when I really let myself go. I remember getting well up into the 290's back then - I don't know how long I stayed there but I'd guess a couple years at least. As you guys well know I am a professional dieter, but it really brought home to me how far I have come. I felt so badly for myself when I looked at those photos (to add insult to injury it was when I first started going grey and thought I could remain a redhead with the help of Miss Clairol). This morning I weighed 221, oh so close to the 210's which I haven't seen in over 20 years. Over the years, all of this unsuccessful dieting, I have lost close to 80 lbs. Probably closer to a 1000 truth be told but that's another story. I don't ever want anyone to see those pictures, and yet I couldn't destroy them either. It was such a revelation that I am pondering. Anyway, this is the year girls, you are my witness. I will break 200 this year. I am so over being overweight. Too much time has been spent worrying and struggling. All of a sudden time has become a huge issue for me. I am bearing in mind the thoughts and quotes on patience, and I know patience is my friend. But my thoughts include patience, as well as determination and focus as I move into 2006. The fat photos are not all I found though, I also found a photo of me at a very low weight. Probably about 138 (diet center years judi) and you know what, that photo didn't look quite right either. I think my goal weight should be somewhere in the 150 range. Okay, thanks for listening to that.

ledom
01-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Morning - did my midnight revelations scare everyone off?! Can't say I blame you :dizzy:. Let's blame it on the cold meds.

Things are pretty well here. Weigh-in was a huge disappointment this a.m. I was 2 lbs. lighter earlier in the week. I woke up with swollen eyes so I know I am holding on to some water. I am not even sure why. It is funny that my lowest weight this past week occured after laying in bed and not working out for 3 days. No justice!

How did everyone elses week go?

esteban
01-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Ledom, it is good to take stock sometime and be pleasantly suprised about how far we have come. DH and I do that often about the money and wonder how we could have wasted so much...well no point crying over spilled milk...we are diff now.

You are so close to 200 mark...I know that is a big psychological break thru...when one goes 'OVER' it and even MORE so when one makes it back 'UNDER'. I hope to go under it this year. I know I need to focus more...I am such a let things slide person. You sound very focused.

The kid's have bought a Winnie the Pooh bed for our grandson so he has his own permanent spot in our house when he comes over. It is so much fun to have a grandchild. He is coming over to stay on Sunday until Monday night.

We are having some guests Sat. I am just going to make a typical roast beef dinner.

I watched Wedding Crashers, 40 Year Old Virgin...two movies that I wanted to see a lot ... I was 'mildly' amused by both of them. Things are so "piggish" in movies...it might be because I am a lot older (55 now) and movies are made by people so much younger than me...the movies just seem so inane now. I rarely see anything I like anymore...I have been reading a lot more simply because I can never find anything really good to watch and it is a shame because I have enjoyed movies all my life. Good thing I still like reading. But you know sometimes you just want to flop down on the couch and say "hey, somebody entertain me..."

We are on some kind of rain record here in BC...in the last 23 days we have had 8 hrs. of sunlight.

ledom
01-13-2006, 02:41 PM
You're right, I think that about the money I have wasted too. And, like you say, what's in the past is in the past.

So glad grandson is bringing you so much joy. Sounds like a good weekend you have planned. I am having company tonight (full moon watch) and I am making a light supper that I am excited about. Rosemary Brown Bread and Butternut Squash soup. I have had these recipes for years, both from 2 seperate Shape magazines. I think I'll have a glass of red wine as well. I am just feeling a little weary today and hope that time with friends will perk me up.

I know what you mean about the movies judi - I feel the same way. While Wedding Crashers was ok, it seemed so pointless. I do still find movies I love though. This summer "Off the Map" really did it for me. I don't know anyone else who has seen it though. And then I love period movies, to me they are the best entertainment. Right now I am reading Bob Dylan's autobiography.

Seems like the world has turned upside down. Including last years averages we are about 20" short of rainfall. There was a forest fire here last week and the whole state is under a burn ban. I have been watching the west coast, if only we could have some of your rain. On top of that the winds are about 25 mi. an hour today. I hate wind. Thank goodness we have at least gotten a little rain in the last week, if a fire got out now it would be uncontrolable.

Take care everyone.

LaDean
01-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi talk about rain well we are getting our share to. I LOVE it i am enjoying it so much. if i walk just put coat on and out i go. do not mind at all. oh so good judi you can enjoy the grandson and all. there so fun. i wish i could keep mine like that and all. but have to except life as given to us. and i do. through all the years that is one thing i have learned and still learning it. ha i am finally on eating plan and feel better. got to stick to it. was down this am and this week from holidays so happy about that. we have been watching some good movies. but know what your talking about. well hey have a good day all of you. its a great one here. LaDean

ledom
01-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Morning - LaDean and judi - what is the rain like out there? I read it described as more of a misty, foggy type rain in the northwest rather than a downpour. Is that right?

My evening was very nice. The wind died down enough so we were able to sit outside around the chiminea. My little supper was a big hit. The soup I made was from squash that one of my guests had grown which was way cool. The bread was lovely but I was a good girl and sent the leftovers home with my guests. I enjoyed the wine. It was my last hurrah for that sort of thing for a while though. Celebrating the end of my sabbatical. I also tried something that I had only read a description for. I baked dates so they were almost carmelized, stuffed with a bit of marscapone cheese and drizzeled with olive oil and a little ground salt. It worked great with the soup and bread. Wonder of wonders I was down a lb. this a.m. Dang water weight - I am tempted to change my ticker but will wait until official weigh-in day next Friday.

Speaking of which, all good things must come to an end. So I am off to the next good thing now. Will go to my office today, this afternoon, to get myself organized for the coming week. DD's play is in production at the university now so I will also go see that tonight. Of all things, I found out it is an Ayn Rand play "Night of January 16". Should be interesting.

Anyway, this morning I'll be doing my workout, getting some clothes washed, and cooking for the week. I am making turkey meatballs, chicken fingers, chili, cutting up a fresh pineapple, making some broccoli, baking a spaghetti squash and my low cal version of mashed potatoes. Should get me through the week.

ledom
01-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Good morning - Well, up at 5 this a.m. Ready to get my workout in and try my new morning routine. No morning routine is complete w/out 3fc though. I hope all of you are doing well and ready for a great week. I got most of my cooking done - enough to get me through the week. Yesterday I hiked 8 miles. The trail wasn't terribly difficult but the distance was a challenge. To top it off I had promised to pick my mother up from church so I had to really hustle to get back in time. A little poor planning on my part + I was wearing a backpack. I had a bunch of camera equipment in it. I was pretty useless for the rest of the day. My hips and legs felt really stiff and sore. Much better today though.

BfL_Cat
01-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Hello everyone! Can't believe I haven't posted in 5 days! Where does the time go????

Ledom, so how did your first day back go? Bet it was a difficult adjustment after all of that time off. Glad your legs are better today.

It's been bitter cold here the past couple of days. I was out 1.5 hours yesterday shoveling snow in 15F temps with a wind-chill of -5F! Good thing I was bundled up well. I decided that was my exercise for yesterday.

I'm sort of off today - "working from home"/MLK day - this way it's not really a vacation day, but I still can get some stuff done around that house - cooking, laundry, and get some work work done. I did my Cathe high Step video today for the first time - actually, I should say that I did the first 3 or 4 circuits of it - that gal kicks butt! I have a new goal - to be able to do all of that video! I plan to lift later tonight as well - really want to get back on my BFL-style workouts.

Food is planned for the week, but not prepped yet - will do that later today. Shopping is all done though, so the stuff's in the house.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday and MLK day.
Cindy

ledom
01-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Morning everyone. Cindy good to see you. Sounds like you are getting back into the groove. Stay warm. Alice - where are you? Are you - reading this? What's Florida like right now?

Yesterday went really well. The artist whose show is in the gallery next brought his work and stayed and help me arrange it. He does bronze sculptures so that was a workout in itself and I really hadn't planned to do so much on the gallery yesterday but he seemed to want to and now that it is done I am so glad I had the help. Anyway, it was good to be reminded that I really do have a fun job that allows me to be around creative people and that was a good way to start back.

I was able to hit snooze only once, get up and do my workout, pack my food. I felt like I got it all in yesterday - just got to keep the pace for the long haul. I can already tell that the housework will be what suffers.

I feel like I have finally made my comeback from Christmas indulgence. Seeing some new numbers on the scale and maybe most encouraging. I had to keep pulling up my britches yesterday because they kept falling down, :-). That made me happy. I know for a fact these particular pants spent last winter in the closet because they were too tight. So that was an indicator I was really needing in this slow and arduous journey!

Anyway, students are back today, first class tomorrow, and tons of stuff to do so I better get with it. Thankfully today is rest day in my exercise schedule.

LaDean
01-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Ledom. good for you. that is great. i also am feeling better from holidays and all. today i have walked 2x good walks beat the rain with beau. but my walk i put that rain coat on and dripping and wet headed out. oh i felt so good. music on ears and all. it helps me to get out in the fresh air and all. then rode ex bike so far 3 miles and did 40 abbs so far. i have a thing that i lay back on and sit up. love it for my middle. where all my wt it. Oh i started planning to. your idea of it is great. sure helps to have it there and ready to eat and all. this has been a great day scales looking good to. oh its so good to come in here and get help from everyone and working together. thanks so much. good luck to all. hey you others get in here. your missed LaDean

ledom
01-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Morning LaDean - way to go. Sounds like a great exercise day. Having food made and prepared in advance really helps me keep on track.

Ended up at restaurant for lunch yesterday depsite taking my own. The faculty invited me and I felt like I needed to be there. I had soup and salad and a piece of bread. All excellent and honestly the only thing on the menu that even resembled something light. I do think there was a lot of sodium in that soup though. The bread, dang it was just the best looking crusty loaf I'd seen in a while and I did stop at one piece.

Alice we miss you. Hope all is well with you. Hey to the rest of the gang as well.

esteban
01-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Good Morning All!!

I haven't weighed yet...scared to...I haven't been eating a lot but I have drank no water for about a week and it makes a diff. on the scale for me always.

Ledom, your dinner with your friends sounded fabulous...the stuffed dates sound scrumptious...is it an easy recipe...if so what is it? I love cheese & anything.

Yes, the grandson was here on Sunday but it my D. had what I like to call a "Jerry Springer" moment and left in a huff and didn't leave him with us. But we do have the little 'Winnie the Pooh' bed all set up here and it is so cute. I have been battling with hanging on to feeling indignant and hurt...I just want to let it go.

I had my hair done yesterday...it is so cute:o even if I do say so myself.

Speaking of the rain...we were 1 day short of having the all time record for the most rain in BC. The day after the sunny break it began raining again. Good for you LaDean for getting out in it and walking and doing things...I really don't mind being out in the rain (DH hates it) but I never do it...it is just so easy to be lazy.

Exercise resolution has been hit and miss the other New Year's resolutions not so bad.

Something I discovered...if after you have a pedicure and if you don't paint your toe nails put Polysporin the ointment (not cream) on them. It makes them look really good and since it is anti-biotic it can't hurt. Have you seen all the things on CNN about the horrors of improperly cleaned foot baths and what it can cause? Just Freaks me out:yikes: I think the next time I go for a pedicure I will drag my own foot bath along and it is a shame too because I love the big whirlpool one that salons have.

We had some friends here for dinner on Sat. it was fun. We are not given much to entertaining but periodically I like to do it.

I have been reading a lot and grocery shopping.

BfL_Cat
01-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone! Now we have the rain - it's rained here heavily for the past 24 hours! The temp went from 20ish to 60 in a matter of hours today! Very strange weather this year. It will be back to snow tonight as the cold front comes through.

Ledom- good for you for just having soup/salad and only one piece of crusty bread - don't know if I'd be able to resist that bread!

LaDean - good for you for getting out and moving in the rain. I won't - I don't like to get wet, especially when it's cold. So, as a result, I've not walked outside in about a week, and I miss it!

Esteban - interesting about the pedicure - I've never had one professionally, but I have a gift certificate for one, and will be sure to be careful about it.

I'm trying a new recipe tonight - actually already cooked last night. Not sure how I'll like it- called Thai Beef, and it's ground beef with leeks, garlic, tomato sauce, coconut milk, red curry paste and fish sauce. Very different smell while cooking - I'm anxious to see what it tastes like. Not sure how Pete will like it - I've got leftovers for a back up in case he won't eat it. You serve it over rice. I got this recipe out of Jan's Cooking Light - will let you know what I think.
Cindy

ledom
01-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Morning everyone.

judi - this is how I did the dates. I pitted them and put them in a 350 oven with just a little water on the bottom of the pan and heated them until they were nice and soft (actually I think I might have left them just a tad too long), took them out and put a small scoop of marscapone in each and then drizzled w/ olive oil and the salt. I didn't have a recipe, just the description so I was making it up. I think it would be pretty hard to mess it up.

Ah, the DD's, well just remember the good advice you gave me and know that this too shall pass. As you had a bad time this week, I had a really good time. My D is so improved after our bad season. She dropped by after her therapy session last night and told me her therapist told her that she had graduated from therapy. She is doing so good now. I think falling in love was very instrumental in her cure. Still haven't met the boy but it sounds in a lot of ways like she has met her match. We had some good laughs last night, but the biggest one was when she told me about her new underwear that had the saying "Save the Drama, for you Mama" on it. I told her thanks but no thanks.

How did your supper turn out Cindy? That sounds really good. I think. I have never cooked with fish sauce. I like all the other ingredients. I had one of those chocolate protein pancakes for supper last night with a smear of cashew butter and sf syrup. I got two phone calls just as it finished cooking and I refused to talk to either party until I ate my supper. I was hungry! and craving that pancake.

I am home from work today. The first 3 days all went well. Tiring and I am really glad to be home doing prep work today. I got to sleep in a little. Must do workout and then get busy. I am on week 11 of the Jillian Michaels "Winning by Losing" exercise plan. It is the hardest workout I have ever done and the most effective. You do it 5 days a week. One day is an hour of cardio and the other 4 are strength, cardio intervals. Each of those days you do both upper and lower body. My butt and legs have really responded to this which amazes me because they are always the last to go. Not to say they still won't be but I am having noticable results that surprise me. I am pretty sure I am going to have a nice little loss tomorrow a.m. for weigh-in day. It has been a good week in that respect.

Well judi - lets all remember our water today!

BfL_Cat
01-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Ledom - you've motivated me to get Jillian's book - and in doing so, I got sucked into also ordering her 5-DVD set of workouts. I'm on a bit of a DVD kick lately - don't want to get myself into the BFL-style workout rut that I did last time - I think that my failure to keep my fitness goals was somewhat due to the fact that I kept doing the same things over and over and not getting any further results. So, I was bored, and I wasn't making futher progress so I stopped. Not happy with where that got me, so I want to make sure history doesn't repeat itself!

Speaking of which, I actually dragged my butt to the gym this morning - so at least I've gotten 2 workouts in this week. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's progress! I'm just really wanting to be able to workout at home, and I don't have the equipment or space, so it's not really possible. Unless I turn my dining room into a gym, which would actually be a better use of that space!

The Thai beef thing was disappointing - I think it might have been better if I'd eaten it right after preparing - it seemed to lose some of it's flavor and punch after sitting a day - the opposite of what you'd expect. That, and the addition of rice really diluted down the flavors as well. I probably won't make it again, but now will be looking for some Thai recipes to use that fish sauce in!

esteban
01-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Good afternoon!

Ledom, I had a good laugh about the "save the drama for your mama"!! I am so glad things are going well for your D. It almost makes it seem like heaven...doesn't it when things are good for them. I will remember my advice...I phoned and said I would like to have a birthday dinner for the baby on Monday but so far no one has called me back. She can't be too mad though...she put 3200 dollars in the DH bank account to help pay for a hip replacement operation that he has to have...it is exactly what the government won't cover, it is over above by 3,200.00. He could get the basic hip operation without paying anything but doesn't want it. He should be able to schedule it in Feb. We used to have a fabulous health care system but the last few federal govts. have so degraded it...it used to be all paid for. It was good for a few decades. Now its getting more like the American health care system where you have to pay for health insurance or pay for it yourself.

I am on to my water today.

Too bad about that beef Cindy...I hate it when something turns out just so so especially if I have bought ingredients I don't usually buy. I use fish sauce in a recipe that goes like this...not diet food though. You can add cooked veg. to these noodles too...like peas.

Wendy's Noodles recipe

4 packs ramen noodles (like Mr. Noodles, the ones that are in a dry square). Cook the noodles adding in the seasoning packets in each package (4 in total) Drain all broth off...leave noodles in colander or strainer .
In the now empty pot add chili paste I use the one that is in the small jar Tuong ot toi viet-nam Chili Garlic Sauce, then soy sauce (all to taste), bit of oil (canola is good) and then ....ta...da...a shot of FISH OIL. Now add the ramen back into the pot and stir around. A quick (high calorie) meal. We call it Wendy's noodles because we had an Asian friend who used to always make it and my D. when she was a little girl would always ask me to make 'Wendy's noodles'. She still asks sometime.

Well, I had better go iron...it has been building up since before Christmas:o

-judi

ledom
01-20-2006, 08:56 AM
judi - I knew you'd like that little saying. Somehow it made me feel better that that sentiment is being distributed wholesale. Like maybe I am not the only mother of a drama queen. Because I am in every sense of the word. DD was brilliant in her play by the way. Two men about my age, on seperate evenings, compared her to Melanie Griffeth. Of course DD is totally unaware of who that is except that she is married to Antonio Banderas. I had never thought that but now I have heard the comparison I totally get it. And you are right, after you have been through what we went through, to see her laughing and enjoying life is the best feeling in the world.

So.....check out my ticker. I am down FOUR, yeah that's right 4 lbs. this week. Remember last week I woke up on Friday morning all swollen with some retained water so I didn't have the weigh-in I hoped for. This morning I am totally happy and at my little 219 mini-goal that I had set before I went shopping for something new to wear. So now of course I have to wait until payday at the end of the month but I am so going to go shopping very very soon.

Cindy, I am so excited that you are going to get the Jillian Micahels stuff. That woman is smart, and talented when it comes to helping people lose weight. You will love to hate her when you try those workouts because they are tough. But they work. I'd really like to have those videos, but am trying to hang on to some money for travel this summer so haven't given in to that urge yet. I think the one I'd like to have most is the kickboxing one. I hear you on liking to work out at home. I am fortunate to have a basement to put all my equipment in. It is just such a time saver to be able to do it at home. Maybe the videos will work out for you. And I know what you mean about needing to switch from BFL. BFL was a great experience for me but after a while it needed to be refined. You know, just some minor tweaks and I am still following that diet. When I started having 5, instead of 6 meals and gave up the free day concept things really changed for me. I skip the mid-morning snack. I save eating off plan for special occasions. Like I am going to a birthday party this weekend and I'll eat the food there, occasionally I go to a mexican resataurant but I don't go every week. Just dotted here and there. Last night I had a meal out and was actually able to stay on my plan at Chilis of all places. I had the Carribean Chicken Salad and it was great. I did skip my 6th meal to allow for what I am sure was some hidden cals in that salad but I enjoyed it very much.

OK, I have chattered away long enough. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

LaDean
01-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi all. Yehhhhhhhh 4 lb loss so great so happy for you. you go girl your on a roll. yehhhhh.
i loss 1/2 last nite. not much but a loss. i just do not lose like i did. but i had to many carbs. being off them i need to get back off all of them or the higher ones i might say. so a week of that is planned. everyone is doing so good and that helps me so much to work with you all. keep it up.

aleka,,,,, missing you hope a rest and all is ok with you and lacee. is here for beau and i. hes so good. Rain and more rain here and some wind today. but i do not mind love it. ha Have a good day to all and a great weekend LaDean

ledom
01-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Morning - LaDean 1/2 a lb. is 1/2 a lb. in the right direction.

Judi- I meant to comment about your hair earlier. A good haircut goes a long way in making one feel great I believe. I am wearing my hair really short now and like it more than I would have ever imagined.

Well, it was a good weekend and it is over now. Up at 4 this a.m. to get everything in. Workout, some last minute class prep, a stop at the bank. Yep, I am back at work. I am good though, I had a good nap yesterday afternoon.

A pretty good weekend. I went to a friend birthday Friday night. Had one beer and ate what everyone else did. But right back on track yesterday. Cooked up another batch of chili for this week. It is just the easiest thing to heat up and have and I love it.

Scale looked good this a.m. Didn't weigh on Sun. a.m. after the party. Just didn't want to distress myself after the night out.

So, a busy week ahead and I hope everyone is doing well.

esteban
01-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone!

Big Day today:

1. Grandson's bithday - he is 2
2. Election Day in Canada
3. Vancouver Canuck's play St. Louis tonight...the first of seven games away from home. Are any of you hockey fans???

so lots of excitement.

Did any of you Watch the 1/2 ton man on TV last night?? A documentary about a few people who were up there in the 600 and beyond pound range??? It was scary and I noticed especially in one case there was a lot of denial going on...I notice that in myself...when I eat something at the moment I am eating it seems really disconnected from what I weigh.

The scale hasn't gone down...I have to be very circumspect if I want to make my 10 pound goal by the end of the month, I hope I can do it...I am really going to try.

My hair is very short too...I have gone from very long to very short in this last decade. After a point my hair was more of a detraction than an addition in my over all look.

Still raining here on the nothern west coast.

ledom
01-24-2006, 08:57 AM
judi - hope you had fun celebrating GS's b'day. My how time flies, I can't believe he is two already!

Same with my hair judi - I still have people come up and say, "you cut your hair." Yeah, like 3 years agao, it was really long for a long time. When it started getting grey it just wasn't right anymore though. Sometimes I miss it, but I like the short do two. Wish I could see what your style looks like. Mine is short and choppy. Not a hockey fan. How did the election turn out? I heard a bit about that on the news.

I am so very busy these days. Just a lot of reading and trying to keep up with 3 different classes plus getting the gallery ready for the first show that opens today. So far I have been able to keep up with exercise and diet and it must remain my #1 priority. I have had 2 free meals so far this week though and that is enough. Last night DD stopped by and we went to our favorite Mexican place. She was going on and on about how her boyfriend wasn't perfect and I was eating chips like there was no tomorrow. She has that effect on me. Anyway, I finally shoved away. Food tastes really good, I was really hungry, but that isn't what I do anymore.

Today is a rest day from exercise and for that I am thankful because, well I need a rest day.

Hope everyone else has a great day. We finally had a good rain over the weekend and burn bans have been lifted but we are still in a drought.

esteban
01-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Ledom, I am exactly the same...the minute my DD and I had that falling out I went to the fridge and mindlessly started shoving things into my mouth.

The election turned out OK. This govt. leader Mr. Harper will probably mend fences with the US. The last leader (Martin) tried to make political hay by Bush bashing but for the most part it didn't work. We are cautiously optimistic now.

Yes, I know the baby is 2...I guess I should stop calling him a baby.

My hair is short and curly, brown with gold and platinum streaks (otherwise it would be gray and brown).

Enjoy your rest day!

Hi all you other gals! Hope you are having a great day.

ledom
01-25-2006, 06:29 AM
Morning all - Nothing new to report I just feel compelled to check in. Another 4 a.m. to get the workout in before work. I am, however, pumping the coffee first and checking all my bookmarks. What a wonderful lot of weightloss blogs anymore. I am so impressed with the eloquence of the women, and a few men, that are blogging their weightloss experience. I find it motivational. Weightloss is always in the forefront of my mind, whether I am losing or not.

I do think I will end up having a good loss this week despite my encounter with the chip basket. If I keep walking the walk between now and Friday a.m. anyway.

I have had some rather nice things happen on that front lately. First off, remember that skirt I had hanging on my closet door about 3 years ago. Well I am in it. I was rather amazed when I thought to try it on. What a long time it has taken, and yet I have reached that milestone. I am amazed at how many peoples first comment to me since coming back to work is, you've lost weight haven't you? Music to my ears. I always thank them for noticing. Men and women both have commented. I know it must really really show by the responses I am getting. I feel like a little dog that just shakes and wiggles all over when someone is nice to it when that happens. It feels great.

I am so very happy with my new workouts. They just seem to have shaken something loose, the ability to actually change the way my body looks. And so now that I have had my brag fest I suppose I need to get myself down to the basement and do my workout.

I hope all of you are doing well and have a good day.

esteban
01-25-2006, 02:56 PM
:cheer: You got into that skirt!!! That is wonderful:hug: You must be SOOO pleased. I know I have a couple of things that I am hoping to fit into (I gave most things away except for a few) and I know what a triumphant feeling you must have had. You worked for it...GOOD for you!!:scooter: Way to GO!!!

I have been good about drinking my water...12 glasses yesterday and I have almost 6 done today and it is only noon here.

Just thought I would quickly check in...hi to everyone.

"He who is outside his door has the hardest part of his journey behind him."

Dutch proverb

BfL_Cat
01-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey gals - just popping in to say "Hi!"

I'm excited to share that I've done cardio two days in a row now - I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm pretty proud of myself as I've had a mental block about doing this. And if I make it tomorrow it will be three days, and I'll be on a roll.

I got my Jillian book yesterday, so have started reading it. Her DVDs are on slight back order, so I should have them in a week or so.

Pete and I are debating whether on not to go in on an elliptical for my house. It's a chunk of change, and he's afraid it may become a clothes hanger! I would sure like the flexibility of being able to roll out of bed and workout, but not sure if I'm willing to pay for it...

Ledom - congrats on all the compliments you are recieving - it sure is a great feeling, isn't it?

Cindy

esteban
01-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Exercised 2 days in a row!!!

I walked yesterday on the trails and did 45 min. on my treadmill this morning...major accomplishment for me. Cindy good for you for doing 2 days of cardio.

My DH wants to buy a Bow Flex but I don't want him to...where will I put it??? and I feel it will become a clothes hanger. We have a treadmill and an exercise bike, plus regular bikes and I think we should prove to ourselves that we are going to use them first.

I have been watching Dr. Don Colbert on BVOV on the computer...I started at last week ... what amazing nutritional knowledge. I am getting his book "What You Don't Know May Be Killing You."

Hey Ledom, do you like Willa Cather? I just discovered her last year and really enjoy her books.

I have had 3 good food days, with all my water and supplements and it is AMAZING how much better I feel already.

ledom
01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm on the way out the door but just had to get on and say I LOVE Willa Cather and Death Comes for the Archbishop might be my all time favorite book. Have you read that one?

Also - Cindy and judi - woooohoooo on the 2 days in a row!:carrot:

More later.

BfL_Cat
01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Day 3 and counting for me - hurray!

Bought an elliptical last night - should be delivered next weekend. Now I just need to get the room ready for it - who needs a dining room, when I don't really use it - it's more important to have a home gym. Not quite sure what I'll be doing with my table and chairs though!
Cindy

ledom
01-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Great Cindy - I think you'll be really happy with that decision. I was meaning to get back and encourage you to go for the elliptical. I bought a treadmill about 3 years ago and have never regretted it. As a matter of fact it was one of the best $750 I ever spent.

I was going to ask if you have checked out the Biggest Loser thread here at 3fc. There is a pretty good support group going on over there for Jillian's workouts.

Have a good weekend everyone!

esteban
01-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi! Great news about the elliptical...and you are right about the dining room table Cindy.

Ledom, I have read that book and The Lost Lady and My Antonia. I loved them all.

I am just eating 2 cups of lettuce and 1/8 cup of cottage cheese BEFORE we go out to dinner...I don't want to fill up on the wrong thing. I am just on my way out the door and just wanted to check in.

Hi LaDean! How are you doing? Hi Alice!

LaDean
01-28-2006, 03:34 AM
Hi all. gee you gals are doing great. i had a good day to. have a cold so not on exercise much. start coughing and oh myyyyyyy i hate that. so by next week will be with it. made up my mind not going to sit so much. i am going to get up and about and keepmoving. ha ha i got up this am and cooked a big pot of vegies liike a soup. so that helped me. then baked porkchops. going to go for no frying and all. and off the sugar is better. drinking lots of tea for the cold and so this is helping with no water retaining. hey have a good weekend to all of you. LaDean

ledom
01-28-2006, 08:24 AM
LaDean - sorry to hear you have a cold. Get plenty of rest.

LaDean
01-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Ledom. thanks so much. i been trying to. just do not feel up to par. so waiting on exercise and hoping this week back to more of it. nothing has a taste it seems. it seems to be better this am. just got up though. ha ha Hope everyones Sunday is good one.. LaDean

ledom
01-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Morning everyone - Monday morning! How is your cold LaDean?

I am experiencing water retention and the munchies. Pretty much keeping the goodie monster under control. Saturday was really hard and I had a free meal on Sat. evening that seems to have set me back some though I think it is mainly water. TOM upon me, but it is a strange time in my life. Periods becoming irregular - ....just part of being female I guess.

So anyway, yesterday I was back in gear and exercise is good. Today I finish up my 12 week plan. I think I'll just start it over again. It starts out light and works up but I think I am ready for that too. If it seems too light after I get back into it I'll modify it.

Heard for my Oregon friend yesterday. I guess I'll go out there about mid-July. There is no way I can lose all the weight I'd like to by then, but it is still my inpiration to stick with this. I guess I am just feeling a little frustrated after the weekend, but I am hanging on. I feel stuck but I know if I keep doing what I am doing I will have success.

BfL_Cat
01-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Hang in there Ledom - I know what you mean - I had a disappointing weekend myself - my own fault, granted, but I just wish I could be better sooner than later. But, I am exercising, and I know that if I keep up with this, eventually the food will fall into place.

Nice that you have a bit of an event to work towards. I've decided to take the pressure off myself to be in great shape for my cruise which is 8 weeks away now. I'll do the best I can by then, with an ultimate goal of being in shape for Summer. Otherwise I may throw in the towel if I don't see the results I want this month. January was disappointing for me - the scale is just not moving - I'm not even sure if my signature is correct anymore as my weight is fluctuating so wildly as of late!

But, we will hang in here, and keep our eyes on the ultimate goal... I've worked out 4 work days in a row - hurray for me. My goal is to make it 5 out of 5 this week, and then I think I'll be home free and back in that habit.

LaDean - sorry you're under the weather - rest and get better soon.
Cindy

ledom
01-31-2006, 07:07 AM
Morning everyone - I am up early and procrastinating/drinking coffee just a minute more before I start pulling slides for my class tonight. I teach studio classes mostly, but once every three semesters I teach history of photography on Tuesday nights. I never feel prepared no matter how long I spend getting ready for this class. I think it would be easier if I taught it more often. Anyway, it's a big challenge, a big class and I have to really be on my toes to avoid just being the biggest fool. It seems every spare moment I am reading for this class. I am not a lecturer at heart.

Anyway, yesterday was good in terms of diet and exercise. This a.m. I was back down to Friday's weight so that is encouraging, maybe I have the chance to lose this week. I am feeling in control again. I am pretty interested in making a big push forward. I have been trying to figure if there is anything food wise I can eliminate on a daily basis without feeling as though I am going to starve. I am toying with giving up my bedtime snack which is generally 250 cals. of EFL cheesecake. It is balanced and a treat at the end of the day, but you know, 250 cals. Some days I can get away w/ a cup of sf suisse mocha coffee and a diet coke (I know 2 beverages at once but they go together and have only about 30 cals.) I think I might be able to do that a few days a week anyway. I think I have pared things down enough that forgoing the cheesecake might actually set me up for some good losses. And the just overcoming the urge to have a free meal 2 or 3 times a week. I think all those things I am considering giving up are negotiable. Maybe not by giving them up completely but cutting them back is the way I need to bounce calorie count around from day to day.

Anyway, Cindy keep up your good exercise habits. Have you tried your new videos yet and if so do you like them? Your elliptical will be there soon and that will be fun. I agree that if you can get your exercise where you want to it to be that more than likely diet will fall into place.

Judi, LaDean and Alice. Hope all is well with you.

esteban
01-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone!

Ledom, that is nice that you will be going to Oregon. Eugene?? What a nice thing to look forward to.

How are you feeling LeDean?

I am trying not to be discouraged...I have been in the calorie range for a week except yesterday I was only SEVEN calories over once and exercised most days and I not only did not make my goal at the end of the month...what the *&*%^$:?: and went up 2 pounds. My DH says just to think of it as a new lifestyle and it will sort itself out down the road. He is probably right I just can't give up.

You are probably doing better than you think teaching that art class Ledom.

I am feeling so much better. In the last week I have had 2 low carb no sugar candy bars when I was craving something sweet. Ledom, how do you make you your EFL cheesecake? What plan are you doing? The diet coke and suisse mocha sound like a good idea...almost like a dessert. I would like that I think, what brand do you get for the suisse mocha?

I just received "You, the Owners Manual" bu Michael F. Roizen MD and Mehmet C. Oz MD. It looks good.

I am halfway finished "Why French Women" etc. So far what I have got out of it...they eat ONLY what is important to them, eat at a table no grazing, shop as they need not mega shop and make leek soup (basically just boiled leeks) and drink the water from it plus eat yougurt (sugarless). Still have to plow thru the rest of it.

My biggest temptation is to snack and read or watch tv....I wish I could give up meals and just do that. I have only snacked once and it was last night, 4 cups of lf popcorn and 4 prunes (?) (Well, they were inthe pantry...)

Hiya Alice and Cindy!!

ledom
02-01-2006, 06:40 AM
judi - DH is right, be patient, keep doing the right thing, and the scale will respond. Never as quickly as you would wish, but that is only one part of the equation. Feeling better is excellent progress.

The coffee is General Foods International Coffees.

Eating For Life Strawberry Cheesecake
(8 servings)

Ingredients:

1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 T vanilla
3 T Splenda
12 oz. fat-free cream cheese, softened at room temp.
1 cup egg substitute (I measure out a cup of egg whites and one yolk)
1 ready-crust reduced-fat graham cracker crust
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
2 tsp sugar substitute
1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Spoon cottage cheese into blender and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add vanilla extract and Splenda; blend for about 15 more seconds.
3. Add softened cream cheese and blend for about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of blender as needed. While blending, gradually add the eggs and continue to blend until smooth, about 45 sec.
4. Pour Cheese filling into Ready Crust and bake until set, about 35 minutes. (This is where I differ, I bake for 45 minutes, make sure the middle doesn't wobble at all when you take it out of the oven, to me this makes a big difference in the cheesecake flavor)
5.Remove from oven and cool for about 15 minutes, Then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
6. Prior to serving, in a small mixing bowl, combine sour cream and sugar substitute.
7. Slice cheesecake into 8 portions, top with sliced strawberries and sour cream.

I really never have gotten tired of this and have been making it for over a year. I no longer add the sourcream topping, just a few berries sprinkled w/ splenda.

So, yesterday was a long day but "the class" did get off to a great start. I was really happy with how it went. One down, about 15 more to go.

BfL_Cat
02-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Good morning gals!

I'm proud to report day #6 in a row of week-day workouts - hurray for me! I'm exhausted due to the extra exertion and lack of sleep - kitten Smokey has been waking me up at 4:30! But, I'm doing it!

Having said that, I'm still very disappointed in my lack of progress. I've been eating pretty well for the past month, and did exercise at least 1 or 2x each of the four weeks, if not more. But the scale is not moving, and my clothes are just as tight as ever! :-(
Quite discouraging....

Yes, I haven't gained, but I should have dropped at least 5 or more this month...

I'm afraid that I really need to cut back my eating, and I'm afraid that it won't give me enough fuel to have energy for my workouts. I've tried working out and doing low carb before, with bad results.

In the meantime, I'm still reading Jillian's book. Skipped to the work out section for now, and am trying to figure out her approach. I'm not too keen on the hour of cardio on her Saturday schedule, but maybe if I got a movie or something to watch I could do it.... Ledom - do you think it would work if I did the Saturday workout on Wednesday, and use the weekend for rest? I just don't want to give myself an excuse to get out of my weekday habit with a Wednesday rest.

Have to ask - do you put the coffee mix INTO your diet coke????
Cindy

ledom
02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
LOL - no it's two seperate beverages. But hey, it might be good mixed together?

Cindy - On the workouts? Yeah, I think it is okay to modify. I actually do my cardio out of sequence too because I like to hike for cardio and find it much easier to do that on the weekend. I tried one time to do an hour on the treadmill and I thought I would die of the boredom, I also got very stiff from it. So I had to find another way to get that in.

I hesitate to say too much about lo-carb dieting because I know you have done that and LaDean does it and everything. But for me, myself, and I - it is a plan for DISASTER!. I never understood how it could work for so many people. Jillians chapter on food and the concept of slow, fast, and normal oxidizers finally explained it for me. If I cut out carbs I feel like I have lost something vital. I am a normal oxidizer and I eat very BFL style. I got a little lazy when trying to figure out her formula (not a numbers person), but I got enough out of it to realize it was very much like BFL. I think what I would do as I got started back with exercise is figure that out, how many carbs you need first of all (slow, fast, normal). I'd follow the plan but be just a touch liberal with the amount of food. Get your body regulated in terms of nutrients without worrying about having super low calories. Maybe try for the 1400-1800 range. Then as things start falling into place see where you might cut back if you need to. This is my unscientific advice. I know what you are talking about not having enough food. I felt that for so very long, I'd say for 2 years while doing BFL that was a concern. I finally got it into my head that by skipping one of the 6 meals I could eliminate 250 cals. a day and that made all the difference. But it took me a long while to get there. Hope this all makes sense and do please take it for what it's worth, my opinion only.

Also, it took me a while to start losing when I started her exercise program because at the beginning you do retain some water and build some heavier muscle so that might explain the slow start.

BfL_Cat
02-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Ledom,
I think what might work for me is to still eat 6 meals, but to try to remove those same calories from my "snack" meals. Like, instead of having a bar or shake or whatever for meal #4, I could just do celery and a Laughing Cow LF wedge - something like 35 calories total! Because after 3 years of eating 6x a day, I don't know that I can get out of that habit - my body is just hungry when it gets to that time...

Thanks for sharing that your loss started out slowly - that helps. I've not yet read her food part, but really need to. I'm thinking that I may try to cut carbs on my lunch meal - more veggies, but dinners with Pete will always have pasta, rice, potato..., so I'll allow it there for myself. I think that's what you'd told me you were doing - salads for lunch.

Anyway, trying to hang in here - trying to talk my MI friends into a challenge of some sort for February to help with my motivation - a mini-goal of some sort.

Ok, enough procrastinating - back to work for me!
Cindy

esteban
02-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi! Thanks for that cheese cake recipe Ledom. It looks very good.

Will write more the next time, just quickly popped in to see how everyone was doing.

ledom
02-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi guys - gonna have a good weigh-in tomorrow, I just know it. I went to L.R. today for shopping. I bought a pair of size 16 pants - a little snug but a great cut. I like having things to shrink into. Yesterday one of my co-workers didn't recongize me. First she commented on my hair, then my weight. I like to think it was more the weight than shorter hair. Another co-worker said something as well, a man who has also been losing weight. I love that people are noticing.

Yep: edited to say I lost 3 lbs. this week. If only they could ALL be 3 lbs. weeks.:carrot:

BfL_Cat
02-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Happy Friday gals! I'm feeling pretty good today - although my food has not been the cleanest this week - pizza and cake/icecream yesterday, I did get workouts in 4 mornings, and for a PMS week it's been pretty mild in terms of eating and emotions.

I'm really starting to feel pretty good after my workouts - I do get tired later in the morning, but it's definitely progress since when I started back last week. I wish I could bottle this feeling to keep me remembering how much better it is when I work out than when I don't!

Good job Ledom - I would LOVE to have a 3# week! And congrats on the compliments!
Cindy

ledom
02-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Oh Cindy - you are not going to have any problem remembering because you are on it now. It's only going to get better! Pat on the back for all your good work this week.

Well - you all are just going to have to let me go on about how all of a sudden people are not recognizing me. I didn't realize how much of a recluse I had been, I saw a bunch of people tonight that I haven't seen in a long time at the local gallery walk. I haven't been to it in years and well, I just kept running into people. I can just see it on their faces as they try to make out who I am, they get it pretty soon but it's there. I LOVE IT! And little do they know that in 6 months I am going to be unrecognizable AGAIN!

OK, I'll calm down now. But I have just been at this so long with so little pay off and all of a sudden it is pay off big time.

ledom
02-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Whoops! How did Monday morning arrive so fast. I am not ready for it! I am tired and I didn't get enough stuff done. Hope everyone else isn't dreading Monday like I am!

BfL_Cat
02-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Good morning gals! I sure do hate Mondays myself!

A bit of a rough day for me - my 16-yo cat Ninja has been of declining health for a while, and it seems to have gotten much worse this weekend. I have a vet appt. this afternoon, and fear he may not be returning home with me. Having gone through this a year and a half ago with my other cat makes it a bit easier, but it's still hard... And I want to comfort myself with food...

Frustrating, because although I've gotten my workouts on track, I am struggling majorly with my food.

I still need to finish reading Jillian's "Science" section on food and caloric needs - maybe that will help to give me the kick in the butt I need? My cruise is 7 weeks away, and I don't want to have to buy bigger clothes for it!
Cindy

ledom
02-06-2006, 12:11 PM
:grouphug: Oh Cindy - my thoughts are with you and Ninja today.

LaDean
02-06-2006, 08:49 PM
same thoughts here gals. i just have had no pep since i got this cold 3 weeks ago. never had one that just zapped me before like this. feel good some and then it just hits me so tired. well it will be over soon. i got dance tonite so going for that. always helps me some. ha my eating has been great today. trying to have my carb amts daily and all. at least i am trying. good luck to you all. aleka hope your okl and all. get back soon. i just do not feel like exercising.. have a good evening LaDean

ledom
02-08-2006, 06:20 AM
LaDean - Sorry you have been having such a hard time with your cold. Hope it goes away for good soon.

Cindy - how are you doing?

judi - You have been awfully quiet. What's up?

Misss you Miss Alice!

All is well here. I am officially unrested again. It didn't take long, less than a month! Oh well. I just have to make sure my weekends are more organized. I was out and about too much last weekend and didn't get the things done I needed to which in turn made the week more stressful. Now I know I have to pace myself a little better.

I am keeping up with my workouts, food has been a little off the last few days. Not in a big way, but I need to pay really close attention so that I don't start slipping.

LaDean
02-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi i am slipping from eating also. have gained back and got to put a stop to it before its all back on. ha so 2 days now and so far good. i wish all of you a good day and week. exercise is good here. LaDean Oh cold is better. thanks

ledom
02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Hey guys - Just finished my workout. It was good, don't go in to work today so my morning schedule is more relaxed. Slept til 6, got to start workout at 7 so I could watch Good Morning America, much better than the local news shows I end up watching when I have to start earlier. Perfect eating day yesterday, today will be a bit challenging. Meeting girlfriends for lunch at a Japanese restaurant. I am not sure what I'll be able to find on the menu that won't be a bad thing to eat the day before weigh-in day but you can bet I'll be figuring it out. I am addicted to moving that ticker. Looks like a small loss this week but I am determined to eek one out. So much for my plans to lay low this weekend. I am actually showing some of my work at a gallery in Little Rock. Tomorrow evening is the opening and I know several of the other exhibitors as well so I will go. It'll be fun I am sure. Beyond that though I plan to stay at home. My house is suffering now that I am back at work and I think a clean house would go a long way to reducing my stress level so I plan to work on that a bit. DD and I have decided to drive to Ohio to visit relatives for Spring Break, that is around March 18. Would love to lose 10 lbs. between now and then, but I'll be happy with 5.

ledom
02-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Morning! How is everyone? Cindy, are you snowed in?

All's well here, just anothere early Monday. I didn't get to go to my show on Friday evening due to bad weather here. It was quiet and I was able to get my house semi-clean over the weekend. DD and her new cat came to visit. It was nice.

BfL_Cat
02-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi guys - I'm back looking for some cheerleaders to help support my efforts...

Enough wallowing in my grief, I need to take control of myself and really try to accomplish something before my cruise. So, I started back on South Beach Phase 1 yesterday. I'm pouting about having to go this extreme, but what I was doing just wasn't working for me. Maybe I just need to shock my body into letting go of some of this weight!

I'm gearing up for tomorrow and Wed. - historically days 3 & 4 have always been tough for me - the carb cravings and restlessness really hits. But, I'll be strong and have my allowable snack available to help me make it through. Once I get through that, it's typically smooth sailing. Wish me luck!

No, luckily we were on the upper fringe of the storm and so we only got about 1-2" of snow that blew around a lot. Those poor people to the south of us!

Went to see Phantom of the Opera yesterday at a local theatre (traveling company) - it was great. I'm glad I saw the movie first though - it helped to fill in the blanks some where the stage just couldn't show stuff. Pete enjoyed it as well, which made for a pleasant afternoon.

Ok, back to work - just wanted to check in. I'm going to update my ticker so you'll see how pathetic my progress of the last 6 weeks has been. I'm very frustrated in that - not that I was perfect, but it should have been more than just 3#! Anyway, water under the bridge - upward and onward!
Cindy

ledom
02-14-2006, 08:23 AM
:cheer: Go Cindy!

Hey, I am glad you are feeling better. I think that you'll be able to handle days 3 and 4 this time. But remember to be patient with youself. This is a process that isn't accomplished quickly. Or never quickly enough it seems.

I have been giving myself a good talking to. I have let Fridays get out of control after I weigh in. A little treat is one thing, but last Friday it was more of a blow out. I am just now recovering from it and I realize this is a bad precedent. If I get in the mindset that once I have reached a certain point I can let my discipline go then I'll end up back where I started. My goal for myself this week is to weigh less on Monday morning than I do on Friday morning.

Cindy, did you get your elliptical machine and if so are you enjoying it? The play sounds fun and glad Pete enjoyed it.

:val2: Happy Valentines Day judi, Alice, Ladean and Cindy :val3:

LaDean
02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
:val1: TO ALL OF YOU A GOOD ONE...:val2: I just want to say i felt so good yesterday and today to. i really danced up a storm last nite and for first time in 4 weeks we have been doing it i felt my good old self. so i really let it out and got a good work out. was so fun... came home and soaked my feet. ha ha oh did i ever feel good then.. ha ha I got all my good food in and i had such a good day eating yesterday the right way again. and today starting it out with fruit for my sweet day and some snack crackers and cheese. now how does all this sound??????? postive i guess. ha ha my attitude is with it now gals and here i gooooooo. so join me and by summer oh won't we look so good. scales were down this am. now not a gob. ha ha but i am taking a loss no matter what it is now.. Hey have a good day. if you do have sweets allow for and enjoy. the main thing is we put our foot out front and move forward... have a good day. LaDean:val1:

ledom
02-15-2006, 06:16 AM
LaDean - you sound like your old self. I am glad you are feeling so much better.

Yep, looking forward to a great summer at a much reduced weight. I have been thinking about having time to kayak and hike to my hearts content. And wearing smaller clothes while I do it!

LaDean
02-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi, yes it feels so good to be my old self. feel like doing things. doing laundry this am and hanging out. it was so cold last nite and nice day and colder next few days. so thought i would get laundry done. scales are down today. so that tickles me. small amt but i take it and say good girl. ha ha i am trying hard to eat my 3 meals a day and stay on schedule. it says that is important. so makes a difference. have a good day to all.

BfL_Cat
02-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey girls - taking a minute out of an incredibly hectic day to say hello. And happy belated V-Day!

SB Day 3 was ok, but I'm struggling with Day 4, as I'm under a lot of stress at work and that makes for a bad combo...

I was quite proud of myself last night - Pete and I went to a small Italian place near my house. Pete had chicken parmigiana, lots of bread and spaghetti to go with. I had my dinner salad, and my unbreaded chicken in brown sauce (like Marsala) with roasted red peppers, mushrooms and onions. That's it! I kept thinking I'd like a small piece of bread to soak up some of my sauce, but I didn't!

I did have 2 icecream thingys when I got home, but that wasn't too bad of a thing.

No workouts Monday and Tuesday, but did get onto the elliptical this morning. Ledom - I am enjoying it, but we need to get it adjusted - even the lowest resistance has some resistance, and is not "loose" like the ones at the gym. So, I've called and they are going to send someone out to look at it. Pete is not so sure he likes it (I think he is not used to it), and now he's talking about wanting a treadmill! I told him he needs to save that money for something more useful, like jewelry! LOL!

Headed to a hockey game tonight, so food will be on the fly somewhere - wish me luckwith handling it....

Hope everyone is having a great day and week. Oh, Ledom, I still want to get myself a kayak for the summer, since Pete has the place on the lake. Any particular brand/model you'd recommend? Otherwise I'll just base my decision on price and color! I don't want to spend too, too much, but I realize I may have to spend a decent amount to get something good.
Cindy

ledom
02-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Cindy The companies Perception and Old Town both make good products. The Perception America which I own and love is not longer manufactured, but the Acadia I is a great boat by the same company. I think it is in the $600 to $700 range. You can read more about perception products at kayaker dot com. Also, you can get a world of information on all brands at paddling dot net. Reviews and product information on virtually every kayak made. Also FYI, don't skimp on the paddle. The lightest paddle you can afford can make a big difference in how much you enjoy the sport I have found. Also, don't overlook the possibility of buying used equipment. It is out there. Happy Shopping.

Oh, and just out of curiousity. What kind of jewelery is Pete saving up for? ;-)

BfL_Cat
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey there - reporting in again...

Today was rough - I just wanted to eat all day long! But, I have to say that I feel like I'm regaining a lot of the control I used to have - yesterday I salvaged dinner at Old Country Buffet by just having salad and baked salmon. Then, at the hockey game, while everyone was eating soft pretzels and popcorn, I had 1/2 a bag of peanuts, in the shell, which took me a while to eat. Then today, during a lunch meeting, I didn't touch any of the food they brought in - ate my chicken and veggie salad, while others had subs, pasta salad, chips and goodies. It about killed me, given how hungry I was, but I did it!

I know these things seem small and not that significant, but given that I've not been able to be in control for a while, it's a big deal to me.

Tonight in an attempt to mimic the sauce of General Tsao's chicken, I whipped up a pretty good sauce for chicken and veggies. Not quite the Generals, but P & I liked it. I had it over chicken with green and red peppers. I'll share it if you like. Rice would have completed it nicely, but it was ok without tonight.

Ledom - I don't want to jinx things, but things are going very well with Pete and I, and I must admit we have visited a couple jewelry stores latey.... He says we are just browsing, and he's getting an idea of what I like, "should the time come..."

Hope everyone is having a good week - TGIF tomorrow - hurray!
Cindy

ledom
02-17-2006, 08:42 AM
:dust: Cindy!:cheer: You can do it! I know you can because I have seen you do it before! It sounds to me like Pete has a surprise up his sleeve for you.

OK, I am distracted by the new smilies so let me it get it out of my system Have you seen these? Actually they may not be new, I just never noticed them before.

:stir: :yoga: :belly: So cute!

OK, back to what I was going to say. I lost 2 lbs. this week.:carrot: I wasn't sure I could pull it off, but I did have it as a goal. I went for a super long walk yesterday, 8 miles I think. I know it was the boost I needed. I can't believe I am within 14 lbs. of onederland. It has been such a long time for me and, well, I am just very anxious to be there. All of a sudden I don't feel so obese, though by the charts I am. I am no longer morbidly obese. I just wonder sometimes how 213 would look if I hadn't been working out. I do have a good muscular base now which I couldn't claim the last time I was at this weight. I am having a very hard time reigning in my urge to buy clothes. I am a bargain shopper, thank god, and that helps. But it is just so much fun to try on clothes, and often. Not that I haven't needed a few new things, but really, I should spread it out. It's just that I am liking so many things now and it is such a thrill to venture into misses sizes. I am still straddling the misses/womens divide though. Last week I bought 2 Ralph Lauren skirts on sale, XL in the misses dept. One 75% off and one 50% off. The thing is, by next winter I expect them to be very much too large. So I have to really get a grip on the clothes shopping. Anyway, misses 16 pants are still too tight, but oh so within reach. I am sure you can tell by this post that I LOVE to shop for clothes.

LaDean, how is the weather out there now? I saw that it had finally stopped raining daily and that it had gotten cold. Our weather is bizarre, yesterday it got up to 78, this weekend we are expecting lows to 18 and freezing rain and sleet which is bad down here and causes all kinds of trouble like power outages and slick roads. Anyway, I have a little prayer in that we won't have school on Monday since President's day is not an official holiday for us and I would so love a 3 day weekend.

LaDean
02-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Hi, cooollllddddddd that is it. the wind last 2 days has been so cold.. i just run beau out here and back in. hes sneezing so hes got the cold. ha ha he hates the wind. but could be worse. i will take this and no snow. ha ha i am doing ok with eating. going to store today and get my things in for planning again. that helped me last week so much... i loss good. i feel good and back to normal with exercise. glad all is going so good your way to.. keep it up CONGRATULATIONS ON 2 LB LOSS YEHHHHHH HAPPY FOR YOU. LaDean

esteban
02-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi! Itsa a me...I guess by now you all guessed I derailed...well, I am on track again.

Sorry about Ninja cat BFL:hug:

I am glad you are finally over your cold LaDean...I know mine hung on for weeks ... it seemed like the world's longest running cold...sort of like the Agatha Christie play.:p

And Ledom!!!:hat: What can I say but:bravo: :bravo: Size 16 and a well muscled and shapely 16 at that! You are an amazing lady!! I wished you lived in BC instead of Arkansas...I would visit you and be inspired by your example:high:

Eh, I didn't take away much from the "What french woman eat" book, I actually got more out of "Fat Chicks Rule". I now have Dr. Don Colbert's "What You Don't Know May be Killing You" and a little book of his called "The Bible Cure for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain." on my table to read.

I got out of the habit of journalling and then pretty soon I let it all slip.

I have been watching a lot of hockey, my husband even watched the Swiss and Canada game this morning ... he will be glad when the Olympics and the Hockey season are over I think.

We have had the most sun since before Dec. these last few days...we went out for a walk yesterday, it was so nice...it was like "What is that round bright thing in the sky:?: :?: !"

OK...I am going to get with program once more:D

ledom
02-19-2006, 12:37 AM
judi - so glad to have you back and with a nice long post at that. I MISS you when you don't come around. Who cares if you derailed, not me, that's not reason for you to deny us your company! :hug:

It's cold here too! After hitting 78 mid week we are at 18 tonight with sleet on the ground. Crazy weather patterns! Hope you are staying warm LaDean. Talked to my friend in Eugene tonight and he was talking about it. Looks like I'll be headed that way in mid July. So excited about that.

LaDean
02-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Ledom. oh so happy you are going to see your friend. you will love it and have fun.. its just 50 miles from me.. yes colllldddddd here. a breeze this afternoon so not to bad. wind 2 days oh myyyyyy . i think its cold most all places it sounds. spring on way though i can hardly wait. i am ready for rain again though. ha ha Oh today is BIRTHDAY FOR ME. had a good one. family here and grandbabies. make it always fun day. to start it off scales were down oh my i said Thank you God for a nice loss and birthday for me. i had a tiny piece of cake and small amt of pizza. so i was proud of me enjoying it and still having but sensibly. that is how i am taking my plan now. i wish all of you a great day and good losing week. LaDean

ledom
02-19-2006, 07:54 PM
:gift: Happy Birthday LaDean!!! :queen: You were holding out on us!!!! Glad you had a good day and some treats to celebrate!

Yes, LaDean I am SO excited about the trip. I am ready to start looking at travel guides, etc. I really want to see the Pacific Ocean of course and we plan on kayaking in some mountain lakes. I think we will go to the Bend area. Do you live near there? I will leave here around mid-July. So how much weight can I realistically plan to lose in 4 1/2 months? 40 lbs. do you think? I'd love to lose 51 which would place me in a normal weight range but I think I might not have enough time for that. Oh well, if I don't lose any I will be so much better off than I was in mid summer. I'll just keep plugging away.

LaDean
02-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi i am 100 miles from Bend its over the mt from us... oh so fun you will have a ball. love bend. its so pretty over there and i love the coast. oh how exciting for you... oh you can lose it. just get with it. i want to lose 35 more lbs the dr. says... if i get on a roll may go down more. but we can lose what we can better then not losing at all. oh was not really holding out forgot to come in and say it was here. ha ha Its big 64 one. oh so thankful for all these years and my health. that is the reason for more wt off is to stay healthy... well have a good evening,. LaDean

ledom
02-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Well girls I am home today. My school isn't canceled but I commute about 40 miles and we have had freezing drizzle here this a.m. My boss called and told me not to go - I feel guilty about not showing up because the students probably will....oh well. I hope they are safe.

So, how to use this bonus day. I think I might ought to do tomorrow's workout, today is officially rest day. The rest of the week is going to be hellacious though and I have a LONG day tomorrow. So that, and maybe some house cleaning? Goodness know my house needs the attention. Oh, and some class prep.

How is everyone else doing?

I just noticed that my weight loss from early last summer adds up to 40 lbs. exactly. I didn't get really serious about it until early August though. Since then I have lost about 35 lbs. and that is with the month of December in there when I backtracked some. So I averaged 5 lbs. a month for the last 7 months. I think I can do a little better than that as I have lost 7-8 lbs. each of the last 2 months. OK, I know I am obsessing here. And when it comes to weight loss you can't count your chickens before they hatch. On the other hand I don't think it's a bad thing to set goals. So I'll say 7 lbs. a month plus 5 lbs. for the 3 weeks that don't quite add up to a month and that would be 33 lbs. between now and July 15. I'll shoot for that.

esteban
02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
:gift: Happy Birthday LaDean!!! I am glad you had a wonderful time:)

Ledom, what is an average day eating for you? Like can you give me an example of what you eat?? Maybe it will help me see what I am doing wrong.

Oregon is going to be so much fun for you. I love the Oregon coast, I think it is the most beautiful coast because it looks so much wilder...huge big rock formations on the beach at some points. I have taken a lot of pictures out there when we used to go RVing.

Those are cute smilies.

BFl_Cat I would love the general T. chicken recipe! I bought many bags of chicken breasts at Costco and now have to try to think of new ways to use them. Did you not have rice because you are low carbing???

Hi Alice:wave:

It is very cold here and they are predicting snow...I hope not, now that DH is going into the hospital for a hip replacement on March 7 I want to be able to drive in and visit him. I am trying not to get "anxious" about either the operation or the snow. I am just not letting my self go there:nono: It is the kind of thing that would make me eat even more.

The GS is going to daycare...he just started this week. My D says he is doing so well ...ran and played with the other kids immediately. She starts him out at an hour a day and builds up to about 4. I am glad he is fitting in so well. It will be good for her to have a little break too.

I have been squandering time by watching lots of the Olympics coverage. It will be good when it is over, I can go and wash the upstairs floors and do some ironing.

ledom
02-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Judi - Good luck to you and your DH on March 7. I am sure it will go well but I know it isn't something you guys are looking forward to. I will be holdiing you in my thoughts. Hope the weather holds for you too.

OK, this is how I eat.

Breakfast is always the same:
1/2 cup steel cut oats, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 scoop protein powder, berries all mixed together.

Lunch and Dinner each consists of one of the meals listed below. I find I rotate between just a few meals which are all easy to make ahead and then heat up through out the week.
A bowl of chili (lean beef and vegegtables) and 5 whole wheat saltine crackers.

2 Chicken fingers breaded with almonds and ww flour and baked, 1 cup mashed potatoes (not much butter/skim milk), brocolli

Turkey meatballs, spaghetti squash, brocolli

Big salad w/ 4 oz smoked turkey

Egg white, cottage cheese, oatmeal, chocolate pancake w/ T of peanut butter and SF syrup

Mid afternoon I have a snack. Generally fruit and cottage cheese with a sprinkle of walnuts. Sometimes a handful of mixed nuts and an apple or a protein bar.

After supper I have 1 cup of sf suisse mocha coffee.

Exercise is equally important. I work out 1 to 1 1/2 hours 5 days a week.

It generally happens that I eat out at least once a week and I decide how to handle that case by case. Sometimes I make it a really healthy meal, sometimes a treat meal but I watch the portions. I recently went out and was unfamiliar with what the menu items were. Most of it turned out to be fried with a few healthy tidbits thrown in. I ate the healthy stuff and tasted everything else but ended up leaving 2/3 of the meal because I felt strong that day.

I have food journals laying around that I run across every now and then. I recently found the 2000 PMD diet record and I had taken measurements then. I was so pleasantly surprised to find that I had lost an average of 5 inches from my core body measurements. 1 1/2" from my calf. That was a very exciting discovery. I plan to record my measurements again soon.

No one knows Judi, like you and Alice who were posting with me way back then what a hard earned accomplishment that has been. How long it has taken me to get my head on straight about what I needed to do. It is now 2006. I mean six years have passed before the real desire to take the necessary steps clicked for me. But you know what, even though the taking things up the notch neccessary for real weight loss to occur was long in coming, I don't think any of my efforts were in vain. For most of that time I have been exercising and eating healthy food, albeit too much healthy food. And, actually I did lose about 40 lbs. in the 90's and I was able to keep that off rather than to continue gaining. Of course I have regrets, but not too many you know. I certainly don't dwell on how long this has taken me as that would be counter productive. Even though my motivation right now might be a little suspect, I am so thankful it came along.

BfL_Cat
02-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey gals - just want to say "hi". I've been sick the past 4 days, with a bad head cold, so my exercise is non-exisitant. But I've kept my food on track, which is something...

Ledom - congrats on your perserverence and success. I hope that someday I'm able to find my groove and make some further progress as well.

Judi, here's my General's chicken sauce recipe:

3 t. Wondra thickener (this works better than corn starch)
3/4 c. water (dissolve the wondra into this)
2 t. minced ginger (fresh or jar)
3 t. chili garlic paste
4 T. soy sauce
4 T. rice vinegar
2 T. cooking sherry
1 packet Splenda, 1 packet sugar

The ratios of the above can be modified to make it taste however you like. I think I will reduce the amount of sherry the next time I make it. I compared this with a bottled sauce this week ($6 and I used the whole bottle!), and mine was way better and much less costly!

This recipe was more than enough for two chicken breasts and a 16oz. bag of broccoli.

Yes, I had no rice because I a low-carbing it - had this over chicken and either broccoli, green/red peppers or green beans.
Cindy

ledom
02-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey guys, I posted yesterday but I must have closed the window before I submitted the message. I hate when I do that.

Cindy, hope you are feeling better by now.

Busy week on the home front. Hanging a new show, getting ready for DD's 22nd b'day. I think the bf is coming to meet me so I am trying to get the house in shape.

LaDean
02-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi hope everyone has had a good day. i have. but not feeling good and no pep again. i just wish i would get over this virus. thought i had. oh well tomorrow a new day and better one. i never went to tops today. so my scales were up a bit. birthday showing up i guess. ha i never got any exercise today. cannot stay out of bathroom. ha ha oh well have a good evening and day tomorrow to all. LaDean

ledom
02-25-2006, 08:35 AM
LaDean, bad colds/flu can just drain you. Continue to get plenty of rest and fluids and don't rush yourself with activity.

I have held up pretty well this week. I lost a lb. I was up to my old Friday splurge tricks last night though. Stress induced, DD is dropping out of school - again. I don't think she is down like she was last spring but this is getting old. It is a bit different this year - she seems to be handling it herself and is looking for a job. Tuesday she turns 22 and will be bringing her BF home to meet my mother and I this weekend. Not having her live here anymore helps my anxiety over it all but I still worry. One of the things I worry about is how MY mother is going to deal with it. I am trying to let it go though. I think all her problems have been a lesson for me in dealing with my own expectations when it comes to other people - I can't control how other people go about their lives. I know you guys are tired of hearing about this.

Anyway, mucho house work before the BF comes over tomorrow. I have to work out today and I know I am not going to feel like it until sometime this afternoon due to the junk I ate last night. This weekend is going to be a challenge. I invited my GF over tonight so she can commiserate with me and I am planning on having a drink or 3. I just need to. And tomorrow is D's b/day meal. Which I don't really want but also don't know how to get out of. I just know that this is a blip and Monday morning I'll be back to it.

ledom
02-28-2006, 06:17 AM
Hey guys - what happened to you all!?

Just checking in to say hi and kick off the new week albeit a day late. The weekend wasn't my best in terms of diet or exercise but I am back on track as of yesterday. I did throw in that extra 6th meal last night because I was hungry, but it was healthy.

It is going to be almost 80 here for the next 2 days!

LaDean
02-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi, i am here. oh my your getting the nice weather.. we are getting the rain. but oh i love it. got to get out in it today... had dance last nite and man did i get a work out. i put alot into it. got home and was almost sick. ha ha guess i over did some. but i feel so good today when i stepped on those scales and there in the good direction.. oh i am ready for a good loss this week. oh i have bad weekends to. we have to once in while. your doing great put it behind and move on forward. this is what i do and helps me. i got to get more exercise in. so plan to practice some dance today. figured if i did that everyday would help me alot. you have a good day now. LaDean

ledom
03-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi LaDean - yep putting it behind me and moving on. It amazes me how much damage I was able to do in 3 days. At the time, my attitude was really bad. I just said to myself, I don't care, I deserve a break, I am going to eat whatever I want. It was just a bad sinking into old habits, they are right there so close to the surface. It is really pretty scary. Of course, now I do care. It is a set back that is going to take a couple weeks to recover from and I do care! I don't feel like I have that time to waste. Anyway, I hope that I will take a lesson from it. It does feel a little different, like I am more aware of what I was doing and why and how to pull away from it pretty quickly.

Cindy, judi, alice - hope you guys are all ok.

esteban
03-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I have been MIA for awhile because I was watching the Olympics on tv (we get very good coverage of ALL events in Canada) and generally not getting anything else done. Thank goodness they are finished. I recovered from hockey heartache (Canada didn't even make it to the finals) just in time to get jazzed again about the NHL starting up once more and now I am hoping my favourite team will make the playoffs. (Winter Olympics are going to be in Vancouver in 2010...you all come and visit then.)

Anyway Lent began yesterday and I am going to exercise 30 min./5 times a week, stay within my 1800 calorie range and refrain from wasting time reading all the posts on a hockey forum until after Easter. Can I do it?? I dunno, pray for me.

Thank you for giving me your recipe BFL cat for chicken. I am def. going to make it. The chicken breast bags from Costco were proving so successful that I bought more bags and a BOX of them. They are all ice glazed and it takes only 45 min. from when you put them in the oven and dinner is ready. The big plus is all the ways they can be cooked.

Ledom, thank you so much for telling me what you eat. Wow! It looks very disciplined to me. Yes, your success is very hard won and that makes it even MORE of an inspiration to me who started out on PMD with you. Do your remember PMD? It was what got me thinking about way more veg. and fruits and water. Also your weight training and kayaking is pretty impressive too.

My DH goes for his operation on Tues but has to spend Mon. all day at the hospital. It has been stressful. I want it over with and successful.

How are you feeling LaDean? I hope you will soon be your healthy self. Hang in there spring is coming this month:D

Hi Alice!

I feel like a dope having that '5 pound loss' after posting for years...gee, maybe I am losing weight too fast:p

ledom
03-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Judi - I got caught up in the olympics too! Not hockey but the figure skating and snow boarding in particular.

Your lent plans sound just right. You can do this and I will say a prayer for you.

I will be thinking about you and DH this week. Please keep us posted.

I feel the same way about the "slowness" of my progress. I have been posting for years as well and dieting even longer. Of course I have had time to lose all the weight many times over. But life doesn't always work that way. I don't think it is really anything to beat yourself up over. Just think what might have happened if you weren't aware and trying, you could have gained a lot more weight. There is a lot to be said for a healthy diet even if it is too high in calories and I think when you are thinking about what you eat and researching what you should be doing, you do make better choices for yourself.

LaDean
03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi gals. hope your d surgury goes ok and all. prayers for her. glad things are going good your way. it is here i loss 1.25 last nite so happy with me. came home from tops and usually grabbing everything in site to eat. well was not even hungry. so that made me happy. this am the scales are down even more so a tickled one i am. its going slow but that is ok. all i am asking for is loss each week. hey ledom glad all is good with you. Judi i am finally back to my normal self and ready for spring. it was cold last nite. i prefer the rain myself. ha ha but no complaiining could be worse. Hey what has happen to Alice???? i wish she would come back to us. have a good day you 2. LaDean

ledom
03-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey ladies - what's up?

This past week went much better for me. The coming week has a little blip on Tuesday (have to talk about my work for women's history week and I hate stuff like that) and then I am home free. The anticipation is the worst part.

I am planning on watching the Oscar's tonight. DD and her BF are going to join me. I met him last week and think he is very nice and cute to boot. Things with her seem to be going better. She is looking for a job now. Has been informed she can't move home and took it well. Sigh, we'll get there eventually.

Anyway, diet and exercise were pretty good last week and also pretty good for the weekend. I am reallly having to work things through in my head a little more - kinda lost my motivation for a little bit, but I think I am actually managing pretty well. It's frustrating to lose it and then have to spend a whole week or even two recovering from a 3 day lapse. I had a free meal last night, but I think I have been able to contain to a meal. Don't plan on another free meal for a while now.

So Judi - I am thinking about you and DH and please get back to us and let us know how things are going.

LaDean, keep up the good work. Sounds as though you are finally getting rid of your cold and moving on to getting back into the swing.

Cindy, what's up? Alice, hope all is well with you.

LaDean
03-05-2006, 11:28 AM
all fine here thanks. glad all is going good your way Ledom. yes i get off to and then back on. i think it makes us stronger when we do.. got to have those moments not doing it. ha ha i am over cold yes and ready to start losing again. so far this is the 3rd week no gain. so going good. got to get with exercise more. i was before and its just getting back to it. Yes where is all the others. miss them. LaDean

ledom
03-07-2006, 08:29 PM
judi-just checking on how things went today. I am anxious to hear.

esteban
03-08-2006, 01:45 PM
DH is in the hospital, his operation was cancelled yesterday and he might have it today. Quite stressful! I came home last night to tend to the animals. Then it snowed today and I hope it will rain so it well melt so I can get in and visit him tomorrow. Trying to hang in there:D

ledom
03-08-2006, 04:51 PM
OK judi - thanks for checking in. I am so sorry that you got snow - sounds like really bad timing. Keep us posted.

esteban
03-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi!

Well, DH had his operation yesterday and all went well. I am snowed in here and can't get to Vancouver to visit him. My D is taking care of everything with her DH, they are going to see him and go around and get the equipment he needs for when he comes home. They have been marvelous. The ambulance will bring him home since he won't be able to get into my car (a Honda civic and he is 6'5") so basically it is all out of my hands. I hope he will get a phone today so we can talk. We have had a freak snow storm here...we haven't had snow since before Christmas but it sometimes happens like this. I don't think it will stay long.

Food wise things have been good, I am kind of eager to weigh.

Ledom, the little chick has to leave the nest sometime. I am glad your D took it well. This last while my D has been fabulous she has MORE than redeemed herself for any distress she has ever caused me and yours will be the same too.

I am working my way thru the book "You, the Owners Manual" by Michael Roizen, MD and Mehmet Oz, MD. If anyone was thinking of getting it I would say go ahead, it is well worth the money and is very readable...full of interesting facts...like you should be able to walk two flights of stairs easily without stopping and then you know you are in good enough condition to have sex....ooohhh...kay...:carrot:

ledom
03-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Great news judi - thanks for the update.

Thanks for the encouraging words on DD - I am glad yours as come through so resoundingly. Last night my own DD and BF came to get her furniture as they are moving into a new apartment. She has a job interview today. As much as it hurt me to watch her drop out of school once again, she seems so much happier. And of course that is all that matters.

Hey, I will be leaving town next week for about 5 days. It's coming up on Spring Break week after next. I'll be heading out next Th. and will be back Wed. night. So, much to get accomplished between now and then to get ready.

ledom
03-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Morning ladies - Sat morning and it is nice having the weekend ahead of me still. I have a lot to do though. Today I am involved in my volunteer trail work. Luckily it is a beautiful day and it'll be fun to be out in nature. And then there are those 27 essay tests that need to be graded. That and some laundry about ties up the weekend. I got industrious last night and did some cooking.

I will be driving to Ohio on Thursday of this week and will be gone about 6 days. Taking DD to see her grandmother up there for spring break. It'll be a break from workingout, but hopefully not from eating sensibly.

After about 3 weeks the old body has finally decided to let go of some weight again. It hasn't been a plateau so much, because I had one really bad 3 day stretch in there and another not so hot day. I don't think all that was enough to throw me off so much as just my body has been adjusting to some big losses a little earlier in the spring. I have been especially vigilent this week though and my body has responded. I am still a pound and a half from my very lowest, but am feeling pretty good again. I'd like to at least maintain while on my trip but hopefully just lose a little more.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and it would be lovely to hear from everyone.

esteban
03-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Wow! Ledom you are doing so amazingly:hug: well. You have done such a good lot of work and now can see your reward.:dance:

Well, DH is home and I have been running up and down 3 flights of stairs and fetching this and that...bending, picking up etc. He is in some pain and is grouchy too:devil: :tantrum: The extra exercise will do me good.

Have a good drive to Ohio. What is the weather supposed to be like there?

Now that the operation is behind us I am going to try to be more focused on weight loss. I am looking forward to spring too. My garden is going to need some major work this year.

Hi all you other gals! What are you up to?:listen:

ledom
03-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi judi - glad hubby is home and I hope he starts feeling better soon. I am sure his mood will improve as he starts to feel better.

We're leaving in the morning, it has been a hectic week and I have not even started packing or anything. Gottat get to work and the home and get my act together for this trip. I'll let you know when I get back.

LaDean
03-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Ledom. have a good and safe trip. LaDean

esteban
03-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Have a great time Ledom, we will be looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi gals!

I am reading 'Calorie Queens', it is a book that Alice recommended to me. Thank You Alice!! It is a woman and her daughter who lost about 350 together after trying everything. They did it simply by counting calories and they explain why it works. Dr. Dan Colbert's book on weight loss has convinced me I have to give up sugar and I haven't had any since about Thurs. and I feel WONDERFUL!

The hubby is doing great. We went for a long drive to Pt. Roberts Wash. just to get him out of the house. It was a sunny day so we went to the ocean and sat in the sun. I also got to do some grocery shopping in an American store and buy some of the things I can't get in Canada.

I am feeling happy:dance: Have a glorious week everyone!!:cheer:

LaDean
03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
HAVE A NICE SPRING EVERYONE.. I AM TODAY.. I started out this day good. already early this am rode ex bike 5 miles. took dog for his walk , got on abb thing and did 40. got line dance tonite for 2 hours. so i am ready to start my spring losing. so please join me and lets do this together. where is Alice. sure miss her. hope all is ok.. LaDean

esteban
03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi!

Good job riding 5 miles LaDean:carrot: Has the snow gone where you are? We are in for a long stretch of rain but that is ok with me. When I saw the last of the snow go I made up my mind never to grumble about rain again.:D

I hope you are having a good trip Ledom? Who is looking after the cats?

I finally got to change my Avatar:D I lost 5 pounds this month, mainly by dropping sugar and white flour things out of my diet for the past two weeks.
I am going to do Dr. Don Colbert's diet. What I have noticed is the same thing I noticed when I was on Atkins, when you stop eating sugar you don't crave stuff anymore. Even when you are really hungry you don't have cravings just a bit weak and tired. I still haven't really incorporated exercise yet because with all the extra I have to do for the DH I have been organized enough to get happening.

Ledom, when you get back can you make a spring thread.:cp: So wonderful to have SPRING here isn't it?