Weight and Resistance Training - LWL #236 Jan 2 - Jan 8

View Full Version : LWL #236 Jan 2 - Jan 8

Mel
01-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Good morning, LWL!
Racing off for a very long day at the gym, but first I have to take my son's homework to school. He had almost 2 weeks to get it into his backpack. Can we say "enabler"?:(

Chest and cardio for me- I have bad tendonitis in my elbows and forearms again. This seeme to just be a constant. Maybe because I went back to bench presses last week? I dunno, but I guess they are out of the rotation for this week.

Have a good one...clean out the kitchen!

Mel

2frustrated
01-02-2006, 12:53 PM
:hug: Hope you feel better soon Mel.

Had a wicked run along the south bank. Not eaten much today though, I guess I'll have to make up for lost calories... What to have, what to have :?: :chin:

Back to work tomorrow UGH! Ah well at least it will get me back into some sort of routine!

:goodvibes:

srmb60
01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I've been doing too much stooping stuff lately. Knitting, computer ... so I did arms and shoulders today. It feels great. Sort of all over tired instead of creaky, achey.

I'm behind on food today too. Hmmm ....

BfL_Cat
01-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Hey gang - I'm back yet again. Started a BFL challenge today, and I'm going to finish it! I have just 12 weeks until a cruise I'm going on, so I need to get back into swimsuit shape!

I took your advice Mel, and have cleaned out the kitchen. Going to the grocery store shortly to get stocked up on clean eats.

Happy New Year everyone!
Cindy

silverbirch
01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Happy New Year, everyone!

Good to see you again, Cindy. I've been thinking of you. Was it you who said when you started to look thin in the face you were about to lose a pound, then you did and your face got back to normal? (I paraphrase!) Because that's what's been happening to me! Good luck with BfL. A cruise is a good incentive.

Revamped the gymn programme this morning with the heavy weights trainer. All that's going well but I must get something to listen to when I'm doing cardio, though. Disney and I have never got on, MTV - I ask you!, and as for BBC daytime television - words fail me now I've seen several weeks' worth.

Good to see you too, Susan! A little bird told me you'd been out on your bike. I'm impressed. Keep it up if the weather holds!

2F - you've really been running London during the hols! It's a good way to explore, isn't it?

Mel - plus ca change, I suppose! This kitchen's clean. Have you done yours??

Hullo to everyone else. I think that normality is about to descend ...

WaterRat
01-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Afternoon, LWL! It's a gloomy winter day here in the far north. We don't even have enough snow to lighten it up. On the up side, we are gaining daylight at over 2 min a day now. :)

2F - so a birthday this coming weekend? When is yours? Mine is on Sat the 7th, though I suspect - having read a post of yours somewhere else here - that I'm about 40 years older than you!! Nonetheless, nice to know another with the same after-Christmas birthday time. I have 2 acquaintances who share my day, as well as 3 others the day before or day after.

A busy weekend here getting holiday stuff put away, and the house generally back to normal. We did a NY Eve bonfire on Sat, and an open house yesterday. I had no alcohol at either, and - surprise, surprise - had an easier time controlling what I ate! I finally cooked my Christmas turkey yesterday (we had gone to neighbors on the day), and ate it - without dressing or gravey - last night. And we'll be eating it for days to come, I'm sure. :lol:

Back to the gym tomorrow. I have a new weight workout ready to go. As well I have my kitchen cleaned of holiday goodies (thanks to DH :) ) so clean eats will be the order of the day - and year.

Happy New Year!!

cynnymynn
01-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Got in a full workout with free weights today--legs and arms. Made myself go slow so I *really* felt it. I have a feeling I'll be bumping up the arm weights later this week--the next set of dumbbells is already waiting in the wings!

Did I see some January birthdays? Count me in--I'm Jan. 11th. My kids tease me that I love weights because Capricorns not only like to feel grounded, but absolutely thrive on having an obstacle to push against!

I've always wanted to visit Alaska. Maybe if I start saving now, that can be one of my rewards when I hit my goal weight! :gift:

Airegrrrl
01-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Happy New Year to all! I've made only one resolution this year, and that's to post more, lurk less. I usually hang out at Maintainers, but (drum roll please), I'm lifting again, and I couldn't be happier :dance:

Some of you may remember that I had joined the (largely student) gym at the university where I work. It was OK, but only that. Eventually, I quit going. Then, I joined the Y, which has any number of programs tailored for the over-50 crowd. That being my crowd, I felt right at home. And then I did what I should have done a long time ago -- I signed up for a series of personal training sessions with a trainer who 1) was about my age; 2) was familiar with arthritis, fibromyalgia, and assorted complications of the passage of time; and 3) had a gentle way of dealing with idiots who kept trying to lift like they did when they were 30, before the onset of various aches and pains. :nono:

She started me out sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow, and she keeps putting the brakes on when I get over-ambitious, knowing that all I will manage to do is injure myself and drop out.

It's been wonderful. For the time being, I'm doing full-body workouts twice a week (plus yoga, pilates, water aerobics, and lots of dog walking). If anyone out there is wondering whether even a few sessions with a PT is worth it, my unqualified answer is YES.

So, I promise to post. In the meantime, welcome to a new year!!:wave:

AnVy1221
01-03-2006, 02:00 AM
HI LWL. Happy New Year to everyone. I am eating clean again --finally-- Today was cardio & abs day. I did 7.9 miles on the elliptical and about 20 min of abs. I am still sore from my leg workout on Saturday. DH took my measurements for the month and, though I haven't lost weight in a couple of weeks, I have lost inches. Yay.

2frustrated
01-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Pat - I'm 7th Jan too! I hate having a birthday so close to Christmas, but it can't be helped! :rofl: Do you get ChristmasandBirthday presents too?? :tantrum:

Wooo a crowded positive board today! :D I'm lifting tonight with my programe from Anita Bean's book (I should've started yesterday but I was too lazy!) back to doing 3 sets rather than 1 set to fatigue (I didn't see much improvement with that anyway :( )

Keep on keeping on! I'm sure I'll be back later in the day! ;)

Ready2BThinna
01-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi Everyone!

Sounds like we're making the holidays even better by being in the present moment and returning to our routines. Keeping to some sort of system is the only way I see results - momentum builds muscle, eh? :strong:

Good point, Airegrrrl, about trying to exercise as we did 20 years ago. Your approach honors exactly where we're at in this part of the life journey.

Thanks for being here, Lovelies! I'm inspired by these posts daily - sometimes, even, moment to moment.

Jean

2frustrated
01-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Oooh I just remembered an NSV and I'd like to share it with you all! :D

Last year I used to be addicted to chips (fries), now I'd managed to loose weight quite successfully eating chips A LOT! I used to work a 7pm - 1pm shift and the canteen did DIVINE chips. So that would be my treat every so often. For lent last year I decided to give up the dreaded chips. I cracked after about a week and a half, now previous years I'd given up chocolate, no problems, even chocolate AND diet coke, but chips - NOT A CHANCE!

Anywho, getting back to the NSV, I've realised that I haven't had a chip for over 3 weeks. And you know what, I don't care! I don't miss them at all, they are not something I HAVE to have when I take a "free food" day. They have no hold over me - I no longer walk past a kebab shop drooling at the thought of chips. Well yesterday DF bought a bag of chips and I thought to myself I'd have a few and not be too bothered about it and that would be that. Well I'd just finished a run and was feeling mega tired and a bit :barf: as per usual, but I had a few chips anyway. They were ok. I did not lose control and scarf the whole packet. I did not continue eating them mindlessly, in fact I had about 10 and thought, "I need PROTEIN". I got myself to a supermarket and bought apples and cheese and sugar free lemonade!

I've broken my chip addiction! :dance:

Mel
01-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Congrats, 2F! I used to love fries, but now find that although they still smell divine, they taste kind of gross. Same with pizza :p I wish I could say the same about a few other foods!

Welcome back, Robin, Cindy, and SB! Hello Amy, Jean, Pat, Cynnymynn and SusanB :wave:

I had a very early morning at the gym with 2 clients who are much more "morning people" than I am. I'm not sure what we did, but they left happy and tired. I did a good hard leg workout after that with one of my gym friends. I'm gradually getting used to the new gym and only fall over equipment occasionally now :o The equipment is a bit different, which really only changes my leg workouts. I'm exhausted, and I think I'll take a short nap before I go back for my late afternoon clients. I don't actually remember the last time I took a nap!

Mel

teapotdynamo
01-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Hullo, LWL! Like Airegrrrl, I'm trying to post more, lurk less.

Had a great UBWO this morning even though I thought I would never make it to the gym. My new-ish gym is about a mile away, so when I saw that it was still rainy and cold out, I almost wimped out. Somehow I managed to drag my *** out of bed, cursing all the way as my umbrella kept turning itself inside out. Anyway, I was so glad I went, because the gym was EMPTY except for a couple beefaronis who didn't even seem to notice me. I had the best UBWO I've had in a LONG time -- basically performed at the top of my weight threshold on everything. Hope I'm feeling it tomorrow! :D

I hear you guys on the clean food! My hubby made a gorgeous miso and soy/ginger soup with soba, chicken breasts, and a million vegetables last night, and it tasted and felt SO GOOD. I feel like I'm finally almost detoxified from the holiday carb onslaught!

I *will* get these last 15-25 pounds off this year, preferably before we go to Italy for our 10-year anniversary. Then, mission: maintenance!

Congrats on the chips, 2F! That's a great NSV!

Happy new year to all here.

WaterRat
01-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Morning LWL! Cold one here - about 20 - and while we're gaining daylight, it won't be light until after 10 am.

2F - yes, I always got Christmas/Birthday presents. And birthday parties - forget it! My folks were so done with parties by my birthday that the most I ever got was a movie and dinner with a girl friend or two (and my sister, of course). Better as an adult as you're a little more understanding! However, I always envied my sister's mid-July birthday. :rofl:

Eating has been pretty clean for the last couple days, and I stocked the work fridge and cabinet so I can have lunch here rather than trolling the town and ending up eating out. Subway at best, Taco Bell at worst. At least even in my worst moments I never eat at McD's or Burger King.

The gym reopens today, and I'll be there right after work. Hopefully, the "resolutionaries" (as a friend calls the New Year's exercisers) won't be taking up too much space. :)

:wave: to all of you.

kykaree
01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: We be liftin'!!!! :strong: :strong: :strong:
My gym reopened today, chock full of resolutionaires. But I wasn't intimidated just got on doing my thing. The good thing is I am really nowhere near the fattest in the gym anymore :D

I had a great time I so miss the high you get from lifting when I don't do it for a while! And one of the cute instructors was there and we had a nice chat and he noticed I had lost weight over Christmas! :hat: :dance:

Swimming tomorrow, my favourite!!!!

JuliaTN
01-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I hope I'm not a resolutionary but I'm glad that Christmas is over. Heading back to the gym tomorrow to pick up where I left off in November (working in retail sucks). It's hard to believe that 6 wks off has left me so soft and squishy.

Went on a 15 mi back country camping in the woods trip last week. It wasn't exactly arduous but it would have been a year ago (yay me!).

I'm looking forward to getting rid of this last 5 (OK, maybe 7 or 8 now) pounds and lifting again.

BfL_Cat
01-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey gals! Unfortunately, a migraine has kept me out of the gym the last two days, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be gone in the morning, and I can get back started into my routine.

The good news is that my eating has been spot-on - I'd forgotten how easy BFL eating can be for me. But, I'm trying to incorporate some new recipes into my plan, so if anyone has any, please share!

Hey, does anyone in the US or Canada subscribe to "Fitness"? Do you like it? They have a 3 years for the price of 1 deal right now (got it in the mail), but I don't want to deal with the clutter of another mag in my house if it's not worth it.

Question for you trainers out there - what are your thoughts on Step routines? I've been thinking of buying one again, and using it for double duty as a lifting bench.

Robin - so good to hear from you again. Glad you're lifting again.

That reminds me - anyone heard from Dip recently?
Cindy

srmb60
01-03-2006, 08:31 PM
I didn't want to exercise today. I was all blah from doing desk work. Ya know, sedentary begets sedentary? So, I started to just walk on my old manual treadmill. Well, it's in the fitness room .... so I did abs and back for a half hour. That's better!

AnVy1221
01-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi LWL, I am getting back into my groove. Did 45 min of chest and biceps today and 30 min on the elliptical. I am loving my new heart rate monitor - it is really helping to keep my intensity up during cardio. I am eating clean and am starting to feel better. I still have a lingering headache as my body gets rid of the sugar and garbage that I have ingested over the past 2 weeks.

WaterRat
01-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Did a good UBWO tonight. :strong:

2frustrated
01-04-2006, 04:07 AM
Cindy - I read Fitness, you can sometimes get it in the big WHSmiths at railway stations over here. I do like it since it's a change to what we usually get. BUT I have a subscription to Zest (which was free with some supermarket thing) and I just end up shouting at it every month since they never explain stuff properly and this month's cover girl was exposing far too much rib to be healthy!
end of rant....

Onto lifting news - I've changed up my routine from working to failure -1 for one set (however many reps that might be, approx 10) to 3 sets of 8 reps. I'm using a routine from the Anita Bean book I got for Christmas and boy is my a$$ feeling the burn! :rofl: Although I've found that the way I'm doing split squats (either right or wrong) is contributing to my dodgy knee, so I only did 2 sets rather than 3.

Had a great eating day yesterday but this morning the scales aren't showing it :tantrum: Not that it matters TOOOOOOOO much but :tantrum: :rofl:

ellenuw
01-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi and welcome back to the LWL Lurkers - glad to see you all posting. Last night I tried to move my cardio from am to 6pm. I was up until 2am. I am guessing that was a little too late for me. I will try again around 3 or 4 and see if it is better for me. That will also be after I get up from my afternoon "down time" - unless I have doctor's appointments. It seems that from now until mid- Feb is one appointment afer another. Hopefully it will come together soon and I can move onto "phase 2" (whatever that may be).

Mel - did I miss something with a new gym? Guess I did, please fill me in and I am sorry for not paying attention :D

Fri I had my first session with my gym owner - I love his workout with me. Today is my first weight session with my massage therapist/yoga instructor (she is multi-talented and mulit-certified and I am multi-lucky). So my new schedule is loooking like this: Mon - private yoga, Tues - Pilates, Wed - weight, Thurs- yoga class, Fri - weights, Sat - 1/2 marathon training group. And 450 calories of cardio at least 4 days (that is owner's plan - I'll try it for a while).

I am trying to get back to cleaner eats. It is night time eating. I finished dinner last night then went to town on an ouce of cashews and about 2 cups of mangos. It is healthy food, but it adds up. I see from starting FitDay again that it was a 1600 calorie day, but 700 were from dinner and after. I will try to eat more during the day and see if that helps at night.

Have a great day - 2006 is our year, ladies. Use it well!

*edit* Allow me to give you my new recipe I read in some magazine over the holidays: take any grains that take a long time - place with recommended amount of water in a crockpot on low overnight. I did this with Scottish Oats and now have a large tub in my refrigerator ready to eat. No more "settling" for 3 min oatmeal anymore. It was a bit of a "duh" moment for me and I had to share. I will try with brown rice next.

WaterRat
01-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh, good plan with the crockpot, Ellen! I often pass on brown rice because I don't want to wait for it to cook. I'll be interested in seeing how it works. I should try the Scottish oats too. I eat the 3 min Old Fashioned oats, and they are 150% better than the instant variety.

2F - I'm with you. If I have a good day, why doesn't the scale move at least 5# the next day? :rofl: We are so into instant gratification.

The gym was indeed very full last night. I was doing weights, so didn't have too much of a problem. Only had to wait for a bench that inclines, and work in with another woman on the lat pulldown. DH said the cardio machines (in another section from the weights) were all full. Oh, and this week, they decided to get going on the remodel of the women's locker room! It's about 20% smaller at the moment, as they moved lockers to build a wall, took out a bench to accommodate the lockers, and moved the doorway! :eek: Plus, we have men's voices that sound like they're right in the room, although they're actually on the other side of the temporary wall. :lol: Getting dressed without getting an elbow in your ribs was tricky.

Airegrrrl
01-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi ho,

Ellen, I love your workout schedule; can you send your trainer to Indiana? I'm trying a mix of activities along the same lines, although I'm falling short in the cardio department. I need to kick it up. And I only had time for 20 minutes of easy yoga this morning, yet I was amazed at how much better I felt, having given it so little effort (note to self: find more intense short yoga tapes for those mornings that are simply too short on time -- anyone have any suggestions?) I've also just ordered a tai chi tape. Water aerobics resumes next week, and I can hardly wait. Boy, do I miss those sessions in the pool.

Did a pretty strenuous full-body workout yesterday to good effect, although my upper back was sore this morning. Trainer has me working on a variety of machines, free weights and the ball; I like the variety and so far, I'm injury free. Yippee :carrot: The cardio machines were full yesterday morning; the weight room wasn't. I can only imagine what the place was like last night.

Another hint for steaming rice: use a rice cooker. I adore mine; have had it for years and years and years. I had to adjust the water/rice ratio when I switched to brown rice, but it works every time, and I don't have to pay it any attention. I usually cook A LOT, and then divvy it up and freeze it in ziplocks, that I can just pop in my lunch. Soooo easy.

Uh, Pat ... would that be a male or a female elbow in your ribs :D

srmb60
01-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Ah it's the gentle and lovely Robin. Hi there!
I did legs today. Somehow it feels like ages since I've done any lunge walking. How could I have forgotten to do that. It' so awesome.
I love leg days. :chin: Hmmm, I may have said that before.

2frustrated
01-05-2006, 04:08 AM
Pat I'm still having a :tantrum: My scales are still stuck! :cry: I am NOT happy! I've even cut down 150kcals more a day for the past 3 days. :dizzy: I'm drinking water like a crazy woman and generally being active. MOAN.

Ah the joys of working out at home... No elbows to contend with, my own music, no changing rooms, the equipment's always free... :D

If anyone has any plateau-busting suggestions, I'll be willing to give them a go! I'm getting desperate here! (patience just isn't happening this week!)

Hope everyone else is doing well, :goodvibes:

ellenuw
01-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Ah, Robin, my problem, too is getting the cardio in. Strength training with these two trainers leaves me beat so it is not going to happen after a session. The owner is in the camp to do cardio after strength, so that means I'll go back later in the day (my gym is a short walk from my house - no excuses). I tried to go back Tues night with DH. I did 45 min (and 450 calories) on the recumbent and felt good. I felt SO good I was up until after 2am and dragging my butt most of yesterday and today is starting the same way. Luckily, I am starting a new yoga class today and I heard this is an "easier" class than what I have been doing. My gym does Vinyasa and this is more of a traditional Hatha. Don't I sound like I know what I am talking about (nope, I just go for the nap at the end). I'll try to do cardio later - like 3 or 4, after my "down time" (because I am too old to acknowledge I am taking a nap). Oh, and I am loving my oatmeal. Yum!! and so easy.

2F - stay away from the scales for week or two and concentrate on how you feel and look. Use Ilene's "pants-o-meter". My theory is sometimes the body needs to adjust to anew weight and it "holds" for 3-4 weeks to feel it out and adjust, then you will start losing again. As long as you aren't gaining and are doing everything spot on, keep doing what you are. Make sure you don;t drop your calories too low. Try varying (1600 one day, 1800, then down to 1600 for two days then back to 1800, maybe one day at 2000 then back to 1600 ...) It keeps the body guessing! If tracking is a headache, add a piece of fruit or small snack and use that as your variation. Just donlt get frustrated 2F (OK, that was funny to me!)

Have a great day.

2frustrated
01-05-2006, 08:49 AM
And now you know how I chose my screen name..... :lol:

I'm slightly more chilled out now - I've been reading Hussman fitness website, v good! And I will be having a "free day" on Saturday for my Birthday so the calories spike like that! Plus I try to go by how hungry I am and don't eat up to my limit some days to have a little bit of variation. I think I need to hide the scales again! I will give them to DF to secrete somewhere! Thanks for the chin-up ellen ;)

4rabbit
01-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi LWL,

Wow, a lot of posters on the forum today, and a lot of old friends as well! I'm trying to get back into the groove as per today. The children went to XH this afternoon, and I went back to work after that. I'll work as well tomorrow, to make up for the hours of the rest of the week.

Not much to tell on the excercise front: I'm doing a little bit of lifting & stuff with resistance bands to help out my RSI. And I did my yoga meditation CD on monday. I definitely have to figure out a way to get the excercise back into my life, but I haven't yet for the moment.

Pat - glad you mentioned that the days are lengthening with minutes per day now. I really hate it when it is cold and dark.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

silverbirch
01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
It's getting busy here. Nice to see so many old and new friends!

To the gymn this morning for a revamped legs and bottom session. I thought I looked rather small in the mirrors from time to time. Same here at home. Things are obviously moving in the right direction. Yesterday I had an uncontrollable urge to eat some of the Christmas chocolate (my first piece). I did, looked in the mirror, looked almost gaunt, and this morning found I'd lost a pound. It's the magic of the human body, I suppose.

2F - ignore what I've just written. What is working for me is being rigorous about clean food. Absolutely no junk at all. And small portions. Large breakfast (porage and cc with dried fruit and nuts, skimmed milk), smallish dinner (good bowl of soup and slice of homemade bread) and smallish tea (meat/fish and veg, almost no starchy carbs). Two snacks of cc and apple. (I don't count calories or journal or anything.) For what it's worth.

I think it's getting lighter in the evenings too. I'm sure I closed the curtains earlier tonight.

WaterRat
01-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Morning, just a "drive-by" here as I'm off to the big city (Anchorage) in a bit for a planning meeting for our state library association conference next month (I'm doing a 90 minute session with another gal). I'll be there all afternoon, but will go home via the gym - stuff is in the car!

Rabbit, today we have 5 hrs, 50 min of daylight, which is nearly 3 minutes more than yesterday! :) Hang in there, the sun WILL be back. :lol:

2F - good advice. Ignore that scale for awhile! How about a pact not to go too hog wild on our birthday - but let ourselves have enough to feel special (and not guilty later) :hb: That being said, 3 of my GFs are taking me out for lunch tomorrow, so I need to make a plan before we get to the restaurant. Fortunately, I'm intimately familiar with menu (we only have 3-4 non-fast-food places for lunch in our little town) so I just need to stay strong!

Okay, need to go get prepared for my meeting. Have a great day ladies! :wave:

srmb60
01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Happy birthday Pat.

I did half hearted arms and shoulders today. It was kind of hectic around here .... and I don't know. One of those days I guess. Besides that my tricps are sore. Can't quite figure that out.

Ilene
01-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi gang!! :wave:

I have been so negligent in posting lately, I feel badly about it... It's a resolution to post here more often and be more active...

I have had the 2 bestest workouts in the last 2 days :strong: ... I feel soooo good... I had a chance to workout with my gym buddy Luanne -- who hasn't been able to work because of laryngitis, since she's a dispatcher in a police station she does need her voice -- so we've met up at the gym for some great workouts, although quiet :lol:... Yesterday we did back and abs for 2 hours :faint:, today we did chest/triceps and abs for 2 hours double :faint: :faint: ... Plus yesterday I also swam for an hour, an hour after my back workout!! I did feel awesome though...

Another reason I haven't been on-line is because I have become addicted to sudoku puzzles, OMG I have been doing them one after another like a fiend...

Yes, Mel, when did you switch gyms? I guess I wasn't listening either :o ...

Well I'm off to bath and bed ... :yawn:

2frustrated
01-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Er ok Pat, erm I think I might nibble on some chocolate log (which I saved specially from Christmas) and we are going to Wagamama (Japanese noodle place) for lunch with my friends, then we are off to an italian place for dinner, I will be having pizza, but if I'm still full from lunch I might get a salad (probably just as bad!).

I do have a run scheduled for tomorrow morning so that will help! On Sunday it's a fresh fresh fresh start! I am going to throw out everything that's just hanging around waiting for me to nibble it.

Did a mega good UBW workout last night. New exercises that felt brill, I will be keeping this one up! Oh and then I baked brownies! For the guys at work - must go and dish them out soon!

silverbirch
01-06-2006, 05:02 AM
Happy birthday, 2F! And many of them!

Tell us all about Wagamama. I keep hearing about it but know next to nothing. (The owner/founder got an award in the Queen's New Year's honours list, I think. ?? For healthy eating?)

silverbirch
01-06-2006, 05:06 AM
Pat - very many happy returns of the day! And for many years too! Have a great day.

ellenuw
01-06-2006, 07:47 AM
:gift: Happy Birthday Pat and 2F :woo: Hope you both have a fabulous, fabulous time. Birthdays are always fun - the 4 year old in me comes out every time, no matter who's birthday I am celebrating!! Woo Woo!!

So, I only got 2 good cardio sessions in this week. I am working really hard on NOT beating myself up over them. I know I was striving for more, but 2 is better than none, right? I did get in 2 weight sessons a Pilates session and a yoga class. I am trying to learn to focus on those positive things and not stress about the missed sessions. I have been exhausted since I didn't sleep Tues (because I tried to do cardio at 6pm) and today, first the firs time in days, I feel like myself again. So, lesson learned, move on.

BTW - this yoga class is much easier than the Level 1 at my "home" gym. One of my trainers said this is probably good bvased on the level of my other sessions during the week - look at it as a restorative session. It was only the 1st session of the semester and there were a lot of newbies, so I'll see how it goes. The good thing about this studio is I can "drop in" on any other class, so I may try a Level 2 if this one doesn't pick up. And, I do get a good workout from my sessions at the gym.

How is everyone else doing so far? We really need to work together and remind each other of what we DID do when we start to beat ourselves up for what we didn't do, OK? I am counting on you ... Robin, we will get those cardios in, but I, for one, need to learn to stand back and look at the bigger picture. Right, rabbit (boy, is your picture going to be bright and sunny - a new beginning) 2F, Ilene, Tiki (where is Tiki?), Susan, Pat, Mel and anyone I missed ... This is OUR year!

2frustrated
01-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Heck yes Ellen! This is my ATHLETIC year! :lol: Frus's year of the athlete! I've signed up for a 10K run today :eek: It's in June, so PLENTY of time, but still :eek: EEEK! I'm going to sign up for some 5Ks along the way too, but you can't register for them yet.

Mel
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Happy Birthday Pat and 2F!

Arms, shoulders, and cardio for me today. Fried my arms :)

I didn't totally switch gyms. Until Christmas Day, we had 2 locations for the past 2 years. I was based at the original, more "hard-core" and smaller gym, but trained at both. That one closed :( It had a very small class room, no space for childcare, and the landlord wanted a 40% rent increase! Now we've "consolidated". I lost 2 clients, but the rest followed me, so I'm pretty lucky and flattered. But I don't like the gym as much :p It's got TONS of equipment- so many machines that it's hard to walk through the place! But I don't train or workout that way. I'll get used to it....

I am getting my eating under control. Yay! I don't know what hit me this year, but it was dreadful and not "normal" bad eating. I keep reminding myself of what it felt like to be lean. I'm still strong, but I'm really missing lean.

Hello to everyone- gotta go eat:D

Mel

WaterRat
01-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. :) I have nothing special planned. Our wedding anniversary is the 22nd, and we often choose a date in between to go out for dinner. That'll be true this year as my DH will be gone on the 22nd.

Yes, Ellen, it WILL be our year! Like Silverbirch, I have a long term WL goal, broken up into smaller ones. First one is 5# in January. I also have a small calendar just to track my exercise - actually just to visually remind me of what I've done, the exercises themselves remain in my carry-around-the-gym notebook. :lol: After realizing last spring how much being strong made my vacation more enjoyable, I'm committed to staying that way. This year's trip is to Utah, at some altitude, so I need to be aerobically fit for that, even though I know from experience that only helps so much - you just have to be at altitude to aclimate to it.

No gym today, just some square dancing tonight. DH has booked the racquetball court for 1/2 hour this morning, and practicing by himself. I'll try to do that tomorrow, and then we can try it together! Gads, I hope we don't kill one another! If we like it enough to keep doing it, we'll have to up the level of our gym membership ($20 more a month), but it'll let us take classes too - both aerobics and yoga.

Happy Birthday 2F

srmb60
01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Oh 2frus, I missed you. Of course happy birthday.
I'm off to work without exercising!

Ilene
01-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey gang :wave:

:hug: :cheers: Happy Birthday 2F and Pat!!
Many more to come and have fun on your day, make it special because you are special ladies!:hug: :cheers:
This week has been really really good exercise and food wise for me :dance:... I just have to keep it consistent throughout the dang weekend now :tantrum:

My resolutions for this year are to learn to swim, it's the only one I can think of right now, because for the life of me I can't freakin' do more than a lap and a half, without getting winded :mad: !! So I must learn to do that before the August Try-a-tri ... I know I can, I know I can....

Today I ran 7.43K it was very good indeed...

Later all :wave:

4rabbit
01-07-2006, 04:32 AM
Hi LWL,

Pat & 2F, a (belated) HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!

Ellen: I'm with you, this is going to be OUR year!!. Within reason of course, since we all have so many other issues to deal with.

Still, my NY resolution is to get my life back into shape (going OK) and getting excercise back in(not working as yet) and getting a new job (busy on that, outcome unclear). That is 1.5 out of 3 at present, which isn't bad IMO.

have a great day,
rabbit

2frustrated
01-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys! I've been out for a birthday run, and now off for 2 meals out and a lazy afternoon at the cinema! Ah bliss!

:goodvibes:

srmb60
01-07-2006, 09:36 AM
First of all, I'm going with my daughter to watch her bridesmaids try on their dresses for the first time. I'm excited about that.

Then it's legs and cardio for me today. I guess I'm excited about that too.

Mel
01-07-2006, 02:54 PM
The gym was CRAZY mobbed today. I thought some roid rage guy was going to punch me when I tried to work in with a client on the cables! There are old people, new people, young people, in shape people, out of shape people....
I'm guessing all your gyms looked like that today also ;)

Didn't manage to do my OWN workout- I'll do cardio tomorrow which is usually my day off. Hahaha, it's my date day with the washing machine!

Mel

WaterRat
01-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. :)

I had my date with the washing machine this morning! Now I'm off to the gym with DH, and a coffee date after. I'm doing my "new" legs workout and then trying out racquetball :eek:

kykaree
01-07-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm naughty, didn't go to the gym today - well not overly naughty since I have been every day this week, and sometimes twice! Everyday twice in fact (I do cardio at lunch time coz I have a totally sedentary job), so today was a well deserved day off. Had a nice time with dh and with the computer and helped a friend by an outfit for a party next weekend. I'm going as her date because her husband doesn't want to come!!!! Last year she was 8 dress sizes smaller than me, now we're the same, she's gained weight and I've lost. She was a bit depressed by this, but I grinned and said now we can share clothes!!! She bought two nice dresses today that I have my eye on!!!!

srmb60
01-07-2006, 05:43 PM
kykaree ... you handled that situation very well. Congratulations on being a sensitve winner.

I did my cardio on the rowing machine and I did legs. I'm tired but don't really feel finished. I may do some leg floor stuff later in front of the TV.

Oh and the dresses are lovely. One gal doesn't even need hers altered. Fabulous progress toward the big day!

Editted to say that I did go back and do some more legs. I still have a restless feeling like I didn't try hard enough or something.

4rabbit
01-08-2006, 04:58 AM
Hi LWL,

Quiet weekend here, as the kids are off with XH for the last days of their christmas vacation.

As XH is renting a real house from march, I'm preparing for a split off our stuff. So yesterday I went to Ikea to get some book cases for my puzzle collection, and I bought new curtains for the bedroom.

I'll be busy in the house: I still have the washing machine waiting, and the vacuum. I guess I'll not get around to do structured real excercise, but I think I'll let it count as house-cleaning cardio (all that vacuuming and dusting) and furniture hauling weightlifting.

One more new years resolution: learn to mouse with my left hand! now that I started working more hours I find that my right arm, which has RSI, is bothereing me more and more, escpecially around the shoulder. if anyone has some excercises to strengthe this I'd appreciate it. For the moment I'm learning to mouse with my left arm, as that is still perfectly good.

Ilene - wellcome to the world of sudoku addiction!!!

have a great day all,
rabbit

WaterRat
01-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Had a great day at the gym yesterday. Played racquetball with myself for 1/2 hour. Lots of chasing the ball, less of actually hitting it. :rofl: Also did legs and 1/2 hour on the elliptical. Not too crowded, amazingly. Oh, and they have their "check-in" computer set to tell them if it's someone's birthday - so I got a coupon for a free smoothie or a free tanning session!

Other than that, it's been a quiet weekend. I splurged and made a shrimp newburg for my b'day dinner. We'll probably go out next weekend, as our anniversary is the 22nd, and DH will be off visiting his parents.

Mel
01-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Pat, I'm an awesome raquetball player when no one else is on the court :rofl:

Mel

srmb60
01-08-2006, 04:50 PM
I did 40 minutes of arms today. I think I finally have a handle on triceps. I can actually feel them work during a couple of different exercises I do and I can feel that I've worked them later. Maybe there's hope for my arm flags yet.

2frustrated
01-09-2006, 04:07 AM
:o Pat, I forgot to wish you Happy Birthday! I'm so naughty!

Had a nice relaxing weekend.

Running and kickboxing today, I missed the weights this morning since I was feeling really dizzy and faint last night just lying down, still felt a bit crook this morning, but I think I will do them when I get home from kickboxing. :faint: