Support Groups - Gettin' together -- January 2006

View Full Version : Gettin' together -- January 2006

dragonwoman64
01-01-2006, 05:54 PM
:hat: Happy New Year! :hat:

Hope you had a good celebration, and are enjoying this first day of the New Year. It really goes by fast. :hug:

DianaLS
01-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey ladies:newyear: ...well, first, TY for your kind words Marge...I am so glad you like the Gingers, and now you have them for next year...
2006 is going to be an amazing year, I already feel it...Last night we had a fantastic time in Bear Mountain...although what would normally be a 2 hour drive took us 3.5 hours in a blizzard...we literally had to drive 5 miles per hour, since it is in the heart of the mountains and on windy hilly roads, and even in the truck with 4wd it was not a pleasant experience to say the least:eek: . But, once we got there...Wow, Their home was breathtakingly beautiful to say the least, and now we know today why they live there and commute to the city to work...the live on a hill overlooking the Hudson river on top of Buck mountain...wow...Normally she has 20 or more people, but the weather kept all but 8 of us away...we had a great night.
Kylie, you are such an inspiration, and when I read your Blog I realized just how much of one you are...now I need to get myself a copy of that book...and you look just beautiful in that dress and choker too:carrot:

Aimee, WB You are so darned cute, and we have missed you...
Have a wonderful, healthy, and happy 2006 ladies...keep on:ebike: :workout: :tread::goodscale and :lol3:

DianaLS
01-01-2006, 07:15 PM
PS: Is it too late to sign on for the Valentines Challenge, and if not, what are the guidelines?

Gardenwife
01-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the new thread, Marge - Just occurred to me it is January, a new month. The last week's been a blur! Yes, Howie and I head to Maryland on Tuesday morning. Tomorrow we're packing all the laundry I did today, LOL. Thank God for notebook computers, I tell ya. I am bringing my rolling laptop stand, but other than that, we're packing pretty light. I'm heading to bed...We want to get up early and have everything done by the time friends come over to watch the OSU game tomorrow at 4:30pm. See ya's!

Gardenwife
01-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Is this early enough? :tired: ** yawn **

Seeking coffee....

Jen415
01-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Morning ladies...and Happy 2006! I KNOW this will be OUR YEAR!!!

Had a fun New Year's Eve....although I had a few too many rum and diets!!

Kimberely: Save travels for you and Howie tomorrow!!

dragonwoman64
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Holy cow :moo: I went to the gym this morning (PACKED, just like I predicted), then I just came home and crashed. Good day for it too, gray and dreary.

I've driven through Bear Mountain, Diana. It's a gorgeous area. I love the Hudson Valley. Lucky you to go to a party there, even though the drive through that weather sounds a little heart stopping to me. The gingers are already up on the door. Probably next weekend we'll take down all the Christmas stuff, so we can enjoy it all for another week.

No rules for the V-day challenge other than setting a comfortable goal and working on it. So set up a thingamabob and you'll be on your way.

Good luck with everything, Kimberley. I'm sure it's nerve wracking; yeah, laptops are handy little gadgets, hope you'll check in a lot and let us know how the two of you are doing.

Hey, Jen, you party animal! ;) I think 2006 will be a good one too.

How's your NY going, Jill?

Rob bought the Bo Bice and Carey Underwood CDs (2 singles on each) at Christmas, and there pretty fun to listen to.

Well, gotta go eat dinner. Have a great evening everyone.

kykaree
01-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Heelo, well it's back to work tomorrow, oh joy. But the gym will be open as normal, I've not been for two weeks. These muscles need to l.i.f.t!!!! I've had a quiet day getting my MP3 player stacked with songs for the gym (not to mention public transport) and trying to sort out batteries for the monster. Confucious say -- do not waste your money on cheap batteries, they no work!!!

It's hard to think of myself as an inspiration, there are so many people on here that have inspired me, it's nice to be able to give something back!

jillybean720
01-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Glad to hear everyone's New Year's went well! I'm supposed to go to work tomorrow (had today off), but I still feel quite crappy, so I'm going to call out. I normally wouldn't plan the night before to call out since there's a chance I could feel better in the morning, but I have to go to court tomorrow morning for a speeding ticket anyway :o so regardless of health status, I wouldn't have been in the office for the entire day, and who knows how long I'll be at the courthouse, so I'll just skip out on the day all together :^:

Just went grocery shopping and spent more than usual, but we haven't gone in over 2 weeks since we haven't been home much, so we had a lot to stock up on. I was supposed to get together with that girl I met on Craigslist today, but I talked to her, and she was busy with her mother (they took her to the ER last night because her bowel burst--how horrid does that sound?!), and I felt like crap, so we left it as I will call her when I feel better. I'll hopefully be okay tomorrow afternoon/evening to at least go meet her and talk for a bit.

She is doing LAWL, and I have never really been familiar with that diet, but she was describing a bit of it to me over the phone, and it sounds basically like what you guys do, Kimberley. It's an exchange program, but she doesn't count calories. I don't feel comfortable with throwing calories completely out the window, so I'm still going to keep track. From what I've read (mostly through Kimberley's links), I'm going to try to get about 6-12 whole grains, 3 fruits, 3 veggies, 2-3 dairy, and 2-3 proteins with fat at around 30%. I stocked up on some frozen veggies and even bought some V8 to drink since I know I don't eat nearly enough veggies. I hate V8, but 8oz a day won't kill me ;)

Oooh, and my favorite chicken was on sale at the store, so I bought 5 packages of it--thin-sliced boneless skinless 98% fat free chicken breast. It's so thin that I can use less sauce/seasoning and still get the flavor throughout. I have no food scale, so I'll need to find a way of measuring my chicken serving sizes (something I haven't really been doing). I know a deck of cards is the estimate of a serving of chicken, but this chicken is so thin that it may take 3 card-size layers to equal the thickness of a deck, so we'll see.

Also on sale were Morningstar Farms products, so I bought 4 different kinds of vegetarian "meat" patties to try, and they've got to be mostly veggies since they have VERY few carbs (I think the highest was 7g per patty), so that might be another way for me to get in some veggies.

In an effort to lower my sodium intake a bit, I bought a bunch of boxes of whole wheat blend thin spaghetti (I know, it's not ALL whole wheat is it's a blend, but I figure it's still better than the all-white) to use with sauces in lieu of the Lipton's instant noodle sides I'd been making almost every night with dinner. I bought 2 kinds of teriyaki sauce and a honey dijon sauce that all have 25 or fewer calories per serving, so I will use those and some chopped frozen veggies with the noodles to make side dishes. I haven't sat down and figured out the total nutritional contents of this idea, but I figure it's GOT to be better for me than the packaged stuff!

Alrighty, well, now that I've posted a novel about my grocery shopping, can you tell I'm enthusiastic about beginning 2006 on the right foot? It's been a while since I've posted such a long blurb on here (though it used to be nearly an everyday occurence :p). Well, off to play some video games, prepare some food, and sleep!

OH, and it was great to see even just an itty bitty post from you, Aimee--we miss you!!!

SwimGirl
01-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Hey everyone! I found a spare moment - they've been few and far between lately! So I thought I'd pop by and say hi again! Again, I'm hoping by the end of this week things will be back to normal around here.. we have a round of birthday's this week, and my friend and Josh's cousin had babies, so we have to go visit all the brand new people!

Kykaree- great to see you around again! Those mp3 players are a saver eh? I'd be lost without mine sometimes! You've lost SO much weight, you can really see it in your picture. Congrats to you!

Diana - YOU are too cute! I've missed your posts, and hearing about all those inches lost. You are an inspiration like no other.

Kimberley - safe travels to you and Howie, and I hope all goes smoothly. I love laptop's, when we were in Seattle I got to curl up on the couch with tons of blankets and tea, and a laptop... I may have to invest in one!

Jill - How great that you found a workout buddy! Josh has sworn to be my workout buddy when I'm all better, I got him these overly expensive runners and workout clothes.. so technically he owe's me ;) I hope you feel better soon, I have been sick with *something* for 3-4 weeks, it's been horrible! Some days I just want to stay in bed all day.. soon!

Jen - thats TOO cute that hubby joined! I hope its an inspiration, because having a sig other on board with weight loss is the most helpful thing!

Marge - oh marge, my American twin... let's become blondes and go live with hugh heffner ;)

Well, on my end of the world things are busy as heck, and coupled with this sickness from h. e. double hockey stick I get into bed the second I can, heh. I have decided to take a month off from work and go to Seattle to stay with my brother, this will be in mid-Feb. I am looking forward to it, although Josh has to stay behind and work. Sometimes you just have to put yourself first though.

I have literally written a 3 part serious over here, so I am off and hope to be back permanently soon!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
01-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Jill, you go girl! You've got such a great pantry full of stuff to start out the new year, and not only that but a plan. That's great, you.

Aimee, great to hear more from you! I hope you get over whatever this is soon. Sleep's good, recharge those batteries.

I was in bed early, like 12:15am, but I just can't stay asleep. I don't know if it's too much pseudoephedrine or just nerves about leaving tomorrow. It just doesn't seem real that we're leaving already...For so many weeks, I was anxious to get going, to get his surgery over with. Now that the time's here, woah, whole other story.

I am really looking forward to meeting our friends, it's just the whole surgery and hubby-in-pain thing is not pleasant to anticipate. Howie said today he's glad he's already had spinal surgery and knows more about what to expect this time. He's already looking ahead. Atta boy. :)

We'll be traveling starting around 9:00am, and I suspect I may not post until Wednesday afternoon or evening. We'll get settled in tomorrow night and visit with our friends, then try to get to bed pretty early since we have to get up around 5:00am Wednesday for his two pre-op appointments. Groan. Shoot, the day of his operation, we have to be at the hospital at 5:30am. :tired: I think I'm having trouble sleeping tonight? Hah!

DianaLS
01-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey E1! Nothing but ice and snow out there today, so this means no outdoors for me at all...I plan to give the recumbant bike a go then, has been awhile for that...DH is planning on investing in a home gym for us with our tax return this year...that will be great...I love Curves, but when the weather stinks, I cannot leave the house for fear of falling, so, I can work-out here...and start walking again when the roads are clear...knitted myself a scarf and hat...so, NO MORE excuses, I really want to get back to the 5 miles a day I used to walk..I miss the feeling of being in shape...and the extra money I spend on Curves each month will help pay for a bill or be in my pocket so can't beat that :) then, after he and I both lose half of our weight, me, I need to lose 60 pounds more, and he needs to lose 45 first, then he is getting us a nice treadmill..
Kimberley~~ Prayers being sent out to Howie and you...
Aimee~~ Thanks so much, I really missed the group, and your happy face, and am glad to be back!!!
And Marge~~Thanks so much, again...I am so glad my gingers found a good home, lol...I love making stuff like that...

Jen415
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi gals: Been busy my first day back at work, but wanted to catch up on things here while I could.

Aimee: Glad to see you! Great avatar--you are a gorgeous girl! Yes it is pretty cool that Alan (not quite my husband yet!) is posting here. We both are wanting to make significant changes in our health, and his support is invaluable to me!

Jilly: sounds like a great plan you have there! Sounds like you are prepared for whatever comes!

Marge: I LOVE Carrie and Bo! I was sooooo addicted to American Idol (and I am sure it will be that way this year too!) I'm excited to see what this season will bring!

Diana: The inhome gym sounds great! We are planning to do that when our house is built.

Kylie: For something like an MP3 that gets lots of use, cheap is definitely not the way to go! BTW, Alan wanted to know where you are in Lancashire, since he is a Preston boy...

Kimberley: Looking forward to hearing how you got along with your trip. You're on the road as I'm writing this, so I'm sending you good vibes and prayers!

Me: I got the Biggest Loser Workout DVD for Christmas, and used it for the first time yesterday. I DEFINITELY felt like I worked out!! I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can lose in six weeks with the help of the DVD!

Headed home for lunch with Alan...will check in later!

dragonwoman64
01-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I haven't ventured into the realm of MP3 yet, hey, I still have dial up, I'm like a cavewoman, heh heh. It really does help me to see people succeeding, getting their weight down and getting into shape. It's not so easy for me to really, really envision myself getting the weight down, so your success does have an impact, K. -- both K's, ha.

Wow, a burst bowel does sound hellish. The time will give the two of you a chance to get ready with your plans before you meet. Congrats on the grocery run, I drink V8 just about every day because I have a tough time getting all my veggies in. I actually like it now.

Hey, my Canadian twin! How'd you know I've always wanted to dye my hair blond??? ;) Did you ever see the Weezer video (Beverly Hills)? heh heh. The band goes to The Mansion. Good for you re: Seattle. That sounds like a much needed and deserved break. Got room for a gal from Brooklyn? (I can bring my own inflatable bed, heh)

Hey, Kimberley, hope the trip is going well. The anticipation is tough, at least you do know what to expect, that makes it easier to deal with. I'm wishing the two of you well and I'm glad you're staying with friends (I think I'm remembering it correctly that you were going to do that).

D., a home gym, now that sounds nice (see my packed gym comment). The treadmill is my favorite machine, too. I get nervous with the ice. People get citations here for not shoveling or putting down salt, but too many get lazy and just don't do it anyway. I didn't grow up with ice and snow either.

Jen, last season was the first time we watched AI, it's addictive. Bo's great, I'm more of a rock fan than country music. Carrie has a nice voice too. This Wed is a Biggest Loser special. I'll be watching that. I'll bet the workout is intense.

Just found out my bil and his wife are planning on adopting. I'm still trying to get my head around it a little, this family has been through the wringer this past year.

SwimGirl
01-04-2006, 12:47 AM
I was super excited today, I got on my scale for that first official weigh in since all of that Christmas stuff. I am DOWN 5 pounds! I am feeling like I am non- stop eating these days, so who knows! Technically I'm down 6 pounds, but I'm in denial that my weight went up that extra pound.. heh..

-Aimee

Jen415
01-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Great job, Aimee! I'm down 2 lbs from yesterday, although I was up 3.5 lbs from my Friday weigh in...:(. I'm hoping the downward trend will continue....

I'm already feeling the effects of eating right and exercising daily! I already feel stronger and have more energy. Why do I trade this feeling for food?? Next time I reach for something not healthy, I should remember this.

Hope you all have a great day! Will check in later!

jillybean720
01-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Aimee, that's awesome!! I've got to get these holiday pounds off--yesterday was very good. I stuck primarily to Kimberley's plan and had about 1800 calories. I didn't have 3 full servings of veggies, but when I logged into Fitday and checked my nutrition requirements, I had met 100% RDA for all vitmains and minerals with the exception of only 2 (iron and selenium, I think), which is WAY better than I think I've ever done before, nutritionally speaking, without taking a supplement. I was also 2 pounds lighter today than I was on Monday, but I'm not nearly low enough to be back to what I consider normal for myself now.

I'm back at work today, so I know I'll be doing better with my water consumption--I always drink more throughout the day while sitting at my desk in the office. I don't tend to drink much water at all when I'm at home. My cold is finally feeling better, so hopefully it will be easier to make the effort to do the right things. I even made my lunch this morning before work (a whole-wheat bagel with ff cream cheese, spinach, and lean deli turkey). It's funny because the bagels I bought say "mini bagels" on the bag with a logo that even says "great for snacks," but they seem plenty big enough to me! It's amazing how people have gotten used to such humungous bagels now :dizzy:

DianaLS
01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey there ladies...WTG Aimee and Jen...any loss is better than a gain in my book...I agree, I always feel better after I work out, why I ever stop is something I cannot understand, but need to stop doing...I was reading a mag the other day ( Woman's world maybe?) and in it were 3 woman who lost a ton of weight..I looked at their old eating habits and what they ate on a daily basis, and thought to myself "WOW" because I never ate that way...Sure, I could sit and eat a lot, but not a whole sheet cake :hb: or gallon of ice cream for a snack, then 2 hours later eat 2 cheeseburgers:mcd: and a large fry..So this leads to one conclusion for me..I do NOT get enough exercise on a steady basis...I just hate Winter, it is so hard for me to get out there when the roads and sidewalks are ice...The fear of falling for me...I cannot even tell you...Even as a young girl I was a clutz on ice...we had some rough ice storms in Ohio when I lived there...but, now, after my surgery, I am even more afraid...so then I stay a hermit...and this is why I really need a gym at home...and today, I have to go to Curves...just have to...I miss not going every day...I miss the energy I get from that...So, on that note...am off...have fun ladies!!:carrot:

jillybean720
01-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I looked at their old eating habits and what they ate on a daily basis, and thought to myself "WOW" because I never ate that way...Sure, I could sit and eat a lot, but not a whole sheet cake :hb: or gallon of ice cream for a snack, then 2 hours later eat 2 cheeseburgers:mcd: and a large fry..
I agree! It kinda bothers me that there are so many people out there who assume that anyone who is overweight must just stuff their faces with tons of junk food all the time. I was not raised on McDonald's and Little Debbies when I was younger, and yet I have been fat my whole life. You CAN get fat even by eating "normal" foods, and I wish the insensitive and uninformed could get that through their skulls. It's those same people who say, "well, just eat less," when you say you want to lose weight. Yeah, thanks for the tip, Einstein :dizzy:

I know that's not really the same direction you were heading with that info, but that's where it lead my mind :p

Hope things are going well, Kimberley--sending my thoughts yours and Howie's way!

DianaLS
01-04-2006, 02:11 PM
LOL, sounds good to me LOL...you are a funny one sometimes, Jill...:)

dragonwoman64
01-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Great going, Aimee and Jen. :) I meant to say before, I like your new avatar, Aimee. Sort of melancholy, dreamy.

I think my New Year's munchin' weekend is catching up with me this week. I got a little cocky over T-day and Xmas. Yikes. Well, lesson learned. Today is a another gym day. I have to say that this is the first time in my life I've had a regular exercise habit.

I ate like a lumberjack when I was a kid and teen. Didn't curb that until last years of high school. There were periods in my life when my eating was in control and then out of control (like eating until I was stuffed, and just overeating in general). I'm sure my metabolism is screwed up, so that it's that much tougher for me to get it into whack again. It definitely feels a lot easier for me to maintain than to lose the pounds.

Jen415
01-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I used to have bad binges, consuming whole packages of chips, cookies, ice cream sandwiches, Little Debbies, you name it. I was trying so hard to fill the emptiness I felt with food. It didn't work.

Alan and I are both big eaters, so learning to scale down our meals is a trick. When we would go to McDonalds for breakfast, he would eat 2 sausage and egg biscuits and 2 hash browns. He looked up the calorie amounts on his SP food diary and about fainted....well over 1000 calories in one meal! Now, we are learning to have regular portions rather than huge ones.

Tomorrow night we will be going out to dinner for the first time since we started this program. We will do our best to make the best choices. I'm hoping he will agree to split an entree with me, and maybe get an extra salad to fill us up. Any other tricks that someone wants to share?

jillybean720
01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Tomorrow night we will be going out to dinner for the first time since we started this program. We will do our best to make the best choices. I'm hoping he will agree to split an entree with me, and maybe get an extra salad to fill us up. Any other tricks that someone wants to share?
I don't know if it's a mjor restaurant or a small one, but I like to see if the restaurant has a website and if their nutritional information is posted there. Sometimes, you can even find nutritional info for restaurants who don't post it on their websites through CalorieKing or by Googling. If you can't agree on an entree to share, try just ordering appetizers as your entrees and having salads beforeheand so it feels like a whole meal. I normally just try to find non-fried menu items and replace any bad sides (like french fries) with better ones (like mashed potatoes, veggies, or a side salad). I also order toppings on the side (like sauces and dressings) and leave off things like bacon and cheese (if it will still taste good without ;)). Other than that, have what you like and just watch your portions (but you already knew that).

jillybean720
01-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Oooh, slow evening last night, and now I'm the first one this morning! I'm late, too--it's already after 7am :p Anyway, down to business...

Yesterday was another pretty successful day on my new-ish plan. I had a few leftover holiday chocolates, but that was my only cheat (better than the 2 slices of cheese pizza I'd been having for lunch nearly every day a couple weeks ago!). I've been keeping my calories below 2000 and my fat at or below 30% of my intake, plus I'm trying to keep an eye on my sodium. Tonight, I will have my normal Thursday night splurge of a 12" Subway sandwich and 2 Subway cookies, but I have already looked up the calories and included them in my plan, so I will still be below 2000 for the day :D

For the past few months, I'd been having a single packet of reduced-sugar instant oatmeal, a glass of milk with a packet of Carnation instant breakfast, or a Special K cereal bar for breakfast. I just hated the idea of "wasting" so many calories so early in the day, you know? But the past couple days, I instead had a large bowl of low-fat granola cereal (2 serving sizes) with milk and sliced banana, and today I had a whole-wheat English muffin with natural peanut butter and sliced banana, and I find it really is worth the calories because it keeps me full for SO much longer! I don't normally skip breakfast all together, but having a more well-balanced, higher-calorie breakfast for the past 3-4 days is already making a noticable difference in how I feel and eat for the rest of the day :)

dragonwoman64
01-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Good morning, ladies!

Jen, I think it's very easy to NOT be conscious of what you're eating. I know as I overate, over time it got easier to eat more, because I got used to that fuller filling. And what foods I ate made a difference too. I mean, it takes a lot more chips to fill me up that say, chicken. And sweet foods, like Little Debbies, make me crave more food after I eat them.

I'll confess (and I have before on this thread) that restaurants are tough for me. I personally try to keep the restaurant eating down for that very reason.
Sometimes I'll eat a piece of fruit, like a banana, before I go, so that I'm not staring at the menu feeling too hungry (so that I'll order the cheeseburger over the better choice). If it's someplace you've been to before, you can plan ahead what you want to order, like Jill suggests.

Another thought is to plan to do something along with going to the restaurant, like taking a walk to windowshop afterwards, or going to the movies, so that the restaurant isn't the only part of the social activity. For me, when the primary goal is to go to the restaurant my mind can go into TREAT mode too.

Well, the gym last night was packed again. I have a feeling it will be that way for a couple more weeks, then it will thin out.

I watched the Biggest Loser last night, with the families. Wow, it just amazes me how different those people looked after they lost the weight! Melony from the Samuels family went from looking tired and defeated to looking hot hot hot and totally animated. I think she lost about 10 years. Talk about motivating. :carrot:

Yesterday was a much better day for me exercise and eating wise. Gotta keep that up and get completely back on track :)

Have a good one!

Jen415
01-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi gals:

Jill, I know what you mean by spending calories too early in the day. But I think in the long run it will keep you from eating too much too late at night. I'm being a little conservative with my calories today because of eating out tonight. The restaurant we are going to is not a chain, so I can't look up any dishes in particular. However, I will just use my head and order accordingly. Most likely it will be a grilled chicken breast with steamed broccoli and a salad withh dressing on the side.

One thing I am doing this time around is NOT eliminating any foods for good. For instance, I (like Jilly) have some Christmas chocolates left. I am eating them, but I am accounting for every bite going in my mouth. So...I am still enjoying them, but only if I have budgeted calories and fat for them.

The site I use to track my food (I call it SP because I can't even post the name because it gets marked out by the link remover thingie) gives me ranges for calories, fat, carbs and protein. I have stayed within all the ranges every day! I am so proud of myself!

Okay, enough of me blathering on...what is everyone else up to? Has anyone heard from Kimberley?

Jen415
01-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Marge, It looks like we posted at the same time! Unfortunately, this restaurant we are going to tonight is the local neighborhood pub, so that IS the social activity for the night :( I'm not ordering any alcohol--probably a pitcher of water with lemon slices. The other thing that may be hard to resist is the free popcorn they have there. I know if it was just Alan and me, we wouldnt have it on the table. But our friends will probably be eating it, so this will be a test of willpower. (Popcorn is one of my many weaknesses!)

I watched Biggest Loser last night also! Shaun (the mom from the red team) looked so much younger! I was AMAZED at what the scale read!! Otto (the dad) was right--even if they hadn't won the $50k, they still WON!!

Gardenwife
01-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey, everyone. Sorry I've not been present more...We spent Tuesday traveling, Wednesday in Baltimore with all the pre-op stuff, and today we've just relaxed. I slept 15 hours last night!!

Your restaurant plans sound good, everyone. Jill, glad a good breakfast's working for you!

I'll post more tomorrow, but right now we're watching a few shows on TV (miss the DVR). Everything here is wonderful. Howie's website has the updates. thehman dotcom. ;)

Jen415
01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Glad to hear from you Kimberley....will be reading The H-Man for all the news...

It went well at the restaurant. I had a big salad with grilled chicken and honey mustard dressing. My total calories for the day are around 1650...not bad!! I drank an entire PITCHER of water! I will be up all night in the potty!

See you gals in the AM---tomorrow is first weigh-in of the new year!

DianaLS
01-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Hey there e1...well so far, this week wuith all of the ice, etc, have only made it to the gym once...hmmm, this will not do...not good at all...I did order a book called "French Women Don't Get Fat"...I am looking forward to this one, if nothing else, an interesting read...But it sure does sound up my alley and there has to be a reason why they stay so trim there, other than the chain smoking which I WILLL Not Succomb to again...Here is a description, please forgive the length:
Publisher's Note
Stylish, convincing, wise, funny–and just in time: the ultimate non-diet book, which could radically change the way you think and live.

French women don’t get fat, but they do eat bread and pastry, drink wine, and regularly enjoy three-course meals. In her delightful tale, Mireille Guiliano unlocks the simple secrets of this “French paradox”–how to enjoy food and stay slim and healthy. Hers is a charming, sensible, and powerfully life-affirming view of health and eating for our times.

As a typically slender French girl, Mireille (Meer-ray) went to America as an exchange student and came back fat. That shock sent her into an adolescent tailspin, until her kindly family physician, “Dr. Miracle,” came to the rescue. Reintroducing her to classic principles of French gastronomy plus time-honored secrets of the local women, he helped her restore her shape and gave her a whole new understanding of food, drink, and life. The key? Not guilt or deprivation but learning to get the most from the things you most enjoy. Following her own version of this traditional wisdom, she has ever since relished a life of indulgence without bulge, satisfying yen without yo-yo on three meals a day.

Now in simple but potent strategies and dozens of recipes you’d swear were fattening, Mireille reveals the ingredients for a lifetime of weight control–from the emergency weekend remedy of Magical Leek Soup to everyday tricks like fooling yourself into contentment and painless new physical exertions to save you from the StairMaster. Emphasizing the virtues of freshness, variety, balance, and always pleasure, Mireille shows how virtually anyone can learn to eat, drink, and move like a French woman.

A natural raconteur, Mireille illustrates her philosophy through the experiences that have shaped her life–a six-year-old’s first taste of Champagne, treks in search of tiny blueberries (called myrtilles) in the woods near her grandmother’s house, a near-spiritual rendezvous with oysters at a seaside restaurant in Brittany, to name but a few. She also shows us other women discovering the wonders of “French in action,” drawing examples from dozens of friends and associates she has advised over the years to eat and drink smarter and more joyfully.

Here are a culture’s most cherished and time-honored secrets recast for the twenty-first century. For anyone who has slipped out of her zone, missed the flight to South Beach, or accidentally let a carb pass her lips, here is a buoyant, positive way to stay trim. A life of wine, bread–even chocolate–without girth or guilt? Pourquoi pas?

Industry reviews
"[A] welcome reprieve from the scores of diet books out there; there's nary a mention of calories, anaerobic energy, glycemic index or any of the other hallmarks of the genre....(Guiliano's] book, with its amusing asides about her life and work, occasional lapses into French and inspiring recipes...,is a stirring reminder of the importance of joie de vivre."
Publishers Weekly (11/22/2004)

"[I]t is not unlike the advice that American nutritionists on Web sites and at spas and clinics across the country dispense every day....Somehow, though, these sensible stratagems are more palatable coming from Guiliano, who was once fat herself, and who now happily lives in American, where she first fell victim to our bad habits....Sometimes these 'simple values' seem perhaps too simple. Many of us need the discipline of the gym and don't have time to stroll to the open-air market (which probably doesn't exist where we live)...But, armed with her book, I am willing to try again."

SwimGirl
01-06-2006, 02:30 AM
Hi Ladies, I thought I'd drop by and give ya'll a little update on me. I am *still* sick, only I went to the doctor again (first doc sent me away with cough syrup with codiene on Dec 22nd and a rough diagnosis of bronchitis). This doctor was concerned with the length of this sickness, which started Dec 18th, and so tomorrow I am off to be tested for pneumonia and mono. I sure do know how to do sicknesses, eh? Fingers crossed that it's just a bad flu!

Diana - je suis francais! Apparently they get more vacation days in France, which I think makes a WORLD of difference to one's overall wellbeing! Let me know how the book is!

I am back to bed, I have the next 2 days off from work (forced days off, but welcomed all the same), so I'll have some more time to post! Yay! Goodnight!

-Aimee

jillybean720
01-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Morning, ladies--happy Friday! Aimee, I'm so glad you're posting again...I missed you!!

Diana--I have heard of that book before. From my understanding, it's basically about moderation and portion control. You can eat chocolate, as long as you only have a bite, and you can drink wine, as long as you only have one small glass...I may be wrong, but I think that's the general idea.

Kimberley--great to hear that things are going well so far, and I'm glad you got a chance to pop in here!

Jen--good job on dinner! I'm a sucker for honey mustard dressing...my FAVORITE! Pass some of that restaurant self-control to me...tomorrow afternoon, we're doing a secret shopper eveluation of an awsome restaurant, and we have to order an appetizer to share, 2 different entrees, and a dessert to share. I'm planning on ordering the chocolate dessert (I know Jeff likes it, and I'm not a huge chocolate fan, so I won't eat much at all) and maybe a big salad for my entree (I don't feel wasteful ordering a salad entree like I usually do because I will get fully reimbursed for the meal, so it's not really my money :p ). As for the appetizer, there's no compromising--they make these AMAZING TexMex eggrolls with chicken and veggies and served with an avocado dip...YUM! But they only bring out 2 eggrolls cut in half, so we each get 2 pieces, so there's a bit of automatic portion control right there. Add diet soda and water, and I'll be a little high for the day, but shouldn't be insanely out of control :^:

Marge--how true of the vicious cycle...the more we eat, the more we CAN eat. Not only do we get used to feeling so full, but the more we fill ourselves up like that, the more our stomachs stretch to hold more food, so it takes more to make us feel full..argh, when will it end?! :dizzy:

So last night, I finally got together with this girl I met through Craigslist. Another girl met with us, too, so the 3 of us discussed our different diet plans (I'm doing American Heart Association, Lisa is doing LA Weight Loss, and Brianna is doing WW Points). I was surprised, actually, at how similar the AHA and LAWL plans are--practically the same except instead of counting calories on LAWL, they just use the minimum number of servings from each food group (except they only allow 4 starches). We talked about getting together to exercise 5 times a week and rotating what we do--some walking, some Tae Bo, some resistance, and possibly some swimming at a local high school pool. We're also going to have Saturday morning meetings with about 9 other ladies who responded to her via Craigslist, so we'll have our own little group every other week. We plan on weighing in at each meeting and putting a few dollars a week per meeting per person into a pot and then awarding the best loser the money after a few months or so. Should be fun, interesting, and motivating!

Also, Brianna and I have decided to drive down to Nrofolk on the 21st for the open casting call for the Biggest Loser. I'm sure I won't make it, but she got so excited about it that I just would like to go for the experience :D

Jen415
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Jill, that is great! More in-person support!!

Aimee, hope you get better soon....my cold is mostly gone, but still have that dry hacking cough. Made getting x-rays at the dentist yesterday very difficult!

SwimGirl
01-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi Gals! My day off is going mostly how I expected it to, lots of laying around, combined with some sleeping, and a little computer time. The only problem seems to be that my landlords haven't turned on the heat in like 18 trillion months.. I understand this is a warm winter, but when I need 3 feather duvet's just to stay a LITTLE warm? Like crank the heat up stupid heads! And thats my rant..

Jill - I wanna do the Biggest Loser, although I'm not sure the world is ready to hear about my addiction to pop.. heh. I wonder if they draw the line on how much people have to lose? Cuz I need to lose 82 pounds to get to my goal of 163. I guess the girls on this last season weren't really that heavy. Still, what fun to even try out!

Jen - those dry hacking coughs are pretty nasty, I find if I cough too much I get these weird headaches.. and then I gotta hold the top of my head to cough. It's quite the sight! heh. My regular doctor gave me this cough syrup, it's like, borderline amazing, stops all coughing, we are talking no phlem even! I tried some halls from the USA, they seem to be stronger and really help with my coughs, strepsils are good too!

Well ladies I think I'm just about done complaining.. tell me honestly, am I being TOO negative? I feel like I am. I think I'm going back to my couch and blankets! Talk to yah'll later!

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
01-06-2006, 07:53 PM
evening, ladies!!

Hey, Kimberley, glad to hear from you. Sleeping 15 hours really says it. Take it easy, and I'll be thinking of the two of you.

Jen, you KICK BUTT. I was so impressed with how you handled the restaurant. It's an area I have a lot of trouble with. I suppose it depends on how much salt and butter is on the popcorn, but it's always been my impression that overall it's not a bad snack choice. I guess it's easier at home where you can control that. (I'm always drinking a bottle of water at 9pm and then up all night, when will I learn?) I've been taught on the programs I've been on (JC and WW) that you don't need to eliminate foods, but to plan how and when to eat them. So I think it's a good thing to learn how to handle the treats too.

My French friend, a woman in her 30s, has a weight problem. She has about 40 to 50 lbs to lose and struggles with it all the time. I think it's a growing problem there. Not like here, though. She says it can be tough for her to find clothes. Did you know that the fashion industry makes the sizes for the US bigger than the sizes for the European market? that is, an 8 here is bigger than an 8 there. I think the fast food and the sedentary living just kills us ol' Americans. I also wonder if they aren't more in touch with their hunger, you know, eat when you're hungry and eat what you want when you want it. If something tastes fantastic, I think it would be easier to eat much less of it and feel satisfied. Can't prove that! I'd love to hear how you like the book too, Diana.

Aimee, :hug: feel better soon. Just curl up in bed and have someone wait on you hand and foot as much as humanly possible. I know it's hard to take it easy sometimes. Do it! says major mom. It is good to have you back :) you French Canadian you!

I thought JC and WW were really similar too. Even Dr. Phil's plan is just about the same thing. Wow, you really topped the TOP meeting. Sounds much better than the Calcium Crew. I think it would be really fun to exercise with a group. I love the gym, but I had to struggle with myself to go this morning (was glad after I got there). If I had friends waiting, it definitely would make it much easier. Great going. and the pot idea is cool.

Good luck on the Biggest Loser call!! I tell Rob that winning is a small part of that game, even though the cash prize is nice. Man, getting to go to that beautiful ranch with all the equipment, the personal trainers, the nutritional help. I would take that, and that alone in a heart beat. A person in another group posted a link for a place in Vermont, for 2 weeks I think it was $2000. I'm totally rooting for you on that one.

Tomorrow I'm going for a meeting for my volunteer job. That should be cool. Today I did the gym, worked for a while, went with Rob to the park and took a long walk, then had lunch/dinner at a middle eastern restaurant (salad and lamb, basically, not too bad calorie/health wise). This place is so good too.

Well, I'd better get off the computer! Take care, all!

Gardenwife
01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Today we enjoyed a treat day since tomorrow Howie must eliminate meat and dairy from his diet and Sunday he can't have anything except clear liquids ("they consider coffee a clear liquid, thank God" says Howie).

Way to go at the restaurant, Jen. That's great. Jill, who do you do the restaurant evaluations through? We do them with Mystery Guest, Inc., and they only require that two diners go together and that there is at least one entree on the receipt. It's nice, because Howie and I can split most entrees and just get an extra side.

Aimee, hope you get over that soon. I'm getting over a cold, just down to being stuffed up at night and dry-hacking like Jen describes. Bleah - be glad when this season's over! Howie and I keep our distance, because we don't want him getting sick and having to postpone his surgery.

Our friend Dea is reading the 20/30 Fat & Fiber Diet Plan (search Amazon for info). It makes sense, basically saying you should consume

No more than 20 grams of fat per day
At least 40 grams of fiber per day

For every 19 meals you eat "on plan", you can enjoy a freebie meal where you can eat whatever. The meals sound a lot like what we eat on the AHA plan, so it wouldn't be a stretch. Our friend likes the idea because it does not involve calorie counting. You can basically eat all the fruits, veggies and beans you want, while limiting fats. It looks pretty healthy.

Howie is very psyched for the Redskins game. This whole household is, actually. We visited our friends' office today and half the people there were wearing some sort of Redskins parephanalia. LOL I am the lone non-sports person here, sorely outnumbered. Howie's blissfully watching the NFL channel on the satellite network here...I made him watch an old Christopher Lowell episode on HGTV today, just for balance. :devil:

SwimGirl
01-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Kimberley - I am not a sports fan myself, except maybe speed swimming, the men are hot, plus that was a sport of choice in highschool and college. Start loading your system with vitamin c!

From the sounds of it, the cold over you way must be a diff strain from whats going on here. Everyone I know who gets this cold ends up with Bronchitis, how gross! I likely had it, ick. In my defense I did go to the dr when I was barfing blood!

I've already reached my peak and am slowly getting better! While the sweats persist, my head feels, normal-ish! If that makes sense!

Marge - I think I'd like to do something like the biggest loser, but I'm not sure I was myself exposed like that. Doesn't that seem messed up? Thats I'm too ashamed of my weight to do something like that. Its a private struggle, or it has become one.. I remember when I first started "dieting", the girls at my work were SO critical and kept telling me how I'd fail. Eventually I had to hide that I was trying to do anything about my weight. Ah, being away from that place feels so good :)

Well, I am off to nap before we head to Josh's parents house.. have a good one!

-Aimee

DianaLS
01-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Hope everyone is feeling better ( Aimee, Jen), anyone else who is under the weather...Yes, Jill, That is basically the premise of the book, and right up my alley so far...I am really enjoying it...and it makes so much sense tooo...I am not a huge fan of "Diets" as a whole...but more of Life changes or life-style changes per say...
Okay, did I miss something, who is getting a call from "The Biggest Loser"? Was it you Jen? If so, gl with that and I will definately keep my fingers crossed for you...
Been so so busy listing my things on my site and ebay the last day or so...now off to make some cards to list as well...have a great day, and God Bless, Diana

Gardenwife
01-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't want to be paraded in the Spandex athletic wear, either. That's the stuff of nightmares as far as I'm concerned. I guess you have to put your brain in time-travel mode and just keep telling yourself this is your "before" pictures, that you have to provide a baseline so the changes show. But still...Ugh.

Dea is feeling sick to her stomach today. I feel badly for her and Howie and I both hope he and I don't catch it if it's a bug. Also, I really hope she's okay to sit with me at the hospital Monday, ya know?

jillybean720
01-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Diana--a friend and I are going to an open casting call for The Biggest Loser in Norfolk, VA in 2 weeks. I don't plan on making it (I think I'm both too sane to be fun in the house for reality tv and too heavy, as they seem to pick women who have less than 100 pounds to lose), but I think it'll be a fun experience, and the girl I'm going with only weighs about 235, so she might have a better chance at it.

Kimberley--I hope your friend feels better, too! I can't imagine sitting in the hospital waiting alone all day, although I'm sure it'll be stressful even with a friend there. Not that it should be--I'm sure Howie's procedure will be just fine, but I also know that no matter how many times you hear or tell yourself that, it's nearly impossible to not stress at least a little :hug:

Aimee--yay for feeling normal-ish! At least you're back on way to normal ;) The thought of being on tv for weight loss would actually motivate me even more. I mean, even if you got voted off the show in the first week, you've already shown millions of people that you have a desire to lose weight--how could you NOT give it your all after a committment like that?! I'll look like a garbage bag full of wet Corn Flakes on tv for a few weeks if it'll give me the help and push I really need to become a healthier, happier person!

Well, I am super excited because I bought a new scanner/copier/printer today! It prints BEAUTIFUL photos and prints all the way to the edge of the paper, so there's no white border, which really makes it look like regular developed prints. It's the same printer we bought my mother for Christmas--I saw her using it and got jealous, so I bought one, too :p It's a Canon PIXMA MP500, so it's got the highest ink jet res/DPI available, and I only paid less than 70 bucks for it (because I also returned my iPod docking station, so I did an exchange--the printer was actually $199.99, which still would have been worth it, IMO). My old printer was a bubble jet from back in 2000, so it has seen better days. Yay for new toys! :D

Gardenwife
01-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Great deal on your printer, Jill. I read good things about the Pixma printers. The folks we're staying with bought an HP Photosmart 3210 all-in-one. So far, it looks like a great printer. I've printed a couple of 4x6" prints and they look nice. It, like the Pixma printers, has separate cartridges for each color; considering all the times through the years I've replaced whole tri-color cartridges because one color is out, I'm definitely going for an individual-tanks type printer next time. The Pixma's ability to do duplex printing without a separate duplexing tray is nice, too.

kykaree
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
hello all, I've been MIA again, just whizzing about being busy. I am going on a work trip not this coming week but the week after, all expenses paid to a conference in Oxford. I am quite suprised and really excited. Such a shame, the cheap hotels were all booked out, and unfortunately we had to be booked into the 5 star hotel, complete with gym and pool. What a bummer hey!!!!

And I am now certifiably crazy, but we always suspected that. I am in training for a 10k run in June in London. Madness. And I can't actually run. But hey ho small point, and I have five months to train!

It's been a good weekend, a few dodgy food choices, but lots of exercise. I had a gorgeous swim today, and did a full weights and cardio routine in the afternoon.

Prayers with you for the big day Kimberley (and Howie). Waiting around during surgeries is not fun, and very stressful. My ex had to have two surgeries, and it was awful both times, once in a posh private hospital and the next in a not great public hospital. Diversion tactics needed, hope you have some books and magazines even if you can't read at least to try and take your mind off things.

And I am being extra good, i am cooking a nice veggie casserole for dinner tomorrow night!

dragonwoman64
01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I couldn't post yesterday, I kept getting a message saying server busy, try again later.

I was going to post today, Ky, where are you? what timing. A 5 star hotel in Oxford, I could live with that! Have a good time. Hug a Don for me, heh heh.
Good luck with the run, too.

Hey, Diana, I hope that book isn't making you crave chocolate croissants. probably be how I'd respond: wow, this French woman is so right about eating, wonder where I can go buy a good chocolate croissant? heh heh, which just goes to show how warped I am. ;)

Aimee, I don't think I'd be able to do it on tv, either; I'm a pretty private person. I guess that's why they offer all those prizes and use of the ranch, etc. Not to mention me putting on those spandex tops would be a ratings train wreck :lol: I do really like watching that show.

My dad and brother used to monopolize the tv with every type of broadcasted sports, turned me off of it. I can go to a ball game, football game, basketball and really enjoy it. Hate watching them on tv.

Prayers with you for the big day Kimberley (and Howie). Waiting around during surgeries is not fun, and very stressful.

ditto from me.

Con Ed (electricity) is going up by 25 percent because of Hurrican Katrina. How that's even legal, I have no idea. It sucks getting a little bonus, getting a small raise, then having all those costs of living go through the roof, oil, stamps, electricity, gas. I guess that's life.

I think I've finally gotten over my "I want to throw my eating plan to the wind and eat junk food because it's the holidays" phase. It was at it's worst for New Years weekend. This past week and weekend were much better, a few bumps on Friday. I have stuck to going to the gym and my other exercises. I know the diet is crucial. I'm thinking about getting Dr. Phil's book with the idea of working on all the food slip ups I've been having, to get back on track. I really want to improve what I'm doing.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

DianaLS
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
LOL marge...actually, so far the book makes a ton of sense...unfortunately, it is geared toward women who only have up to 30 pounds to lose...I wish!!! I am a third through it...there is a soup you ar to make and drink for 2 days, leak soup...if you don't like leeks, she has included another veggie based one ...I will give the leek one a go this week...it is basically a jump start...As far as the plan inteself...it is mostly a common sense way of seeing things, and how Americans way over do it on portions and sugars and artificial foods, etc...she lives here in NYC by the way, married an American..but she incorporates her way of life into NY just fine...She says we should consume NATURAL yogurt 2 times a day for starters...meaning all organic, no sugars or artificial sweeteners of any kind only fruit added...I am so in love with that, I do not use any artificial sweeteners of any kind any how...hate them...and she gives a recipe on how to make your own natural yogurt at home, but I may go to the health food store down the road for that:carrot: ...she says if you have to indulge in chocolate...to never buy the snickers or the sugar coated stuff ( Am assuming m & ms as I sit here and eat the last of mine)..only to indulge in a nice piece of pure dark chocolate on special occasion...she is really more into portion control...a sliver of cake instead of a half pound for example...to make as much of your own good food as you can, or to buy food as fresh and in season as possible... to eat three meals a day, starting with a real breakfast, NO JUICE unless freshly squeezed, etc...to walk 2 twenty minutes walks a day to start out with, since walking is free and you need nothing but your feet to do it, and to drink a ton of water, making sure to drink a large glass upon waking each day and upon going to bed each night...that is where I am at right now...So I am gonna give it a go, starting Tuesday...I plan to eat my meals on small salad plates for one thing...whatever does not fit I do not eat...She says to chew your food and actually enjoy what you are eating for a change...if you decide to have bread with dinner, have a nice piece, but forego the dessert...etc...Makes so much sense...and can't hurt to try it...;)

Jen415
01-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi gals! It's been a busy weekend....

Saturday night we stayed with some friends because we planned a late night out, including dinner. I did GREAT making choices -- 6 ox petitie sirloin, 1/2 a baked potato with butter and sour cream, a big green salad and fresh fruit for dessert. I feel really proud!!

Today we had breakfast with our friends, then went to see Alan's son off as he has enlisted in the Marines and is headed to basic training at Parris Island, South Carolina. It was an emotional afternoon, and we were glad to get back home.

Kimberley: You and Howie are in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Kylie: A 10-K!! You are quite ambitious! But I know you can do it!

Jill: Dontcha love new toys?? Would love to have a scanner like that! (PS: Good luck with the audition! You should go over to the BL board at NBC dot com and read some posts from people who have auditioned before to get some hints.

Marge: Why on earth should YOUR electricity go up because of hurricanes thousands of miles away?? That makes no sense to me at all....On a different topic, if by Dr Phil you mean his book The Ultimate WEight Loss Solution, I highly recommend it. It does not deal with a diet plan per se, but more of the psychological and behavioral side of it. I need to re-read that myself....

Diana: a lot of those diet tips make sense....good luck with that!

Aimee: Glad you are feeling better. continue to get plenty of rest and drink lots of water.

Okay, enough for tonite...see ya tomorrow!

Gardenwife
01-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Read all your posts, girlfriends -- just not replying individually tonight. Tomorrow's a long day and I reckon I'd better slip off to bed. Three in the morning is going to come too soon! :tired: Howie gets to sleep through tomorrow. LOL What's ironic is, up until this last week, I was typically still awake at three in the morning.

jillybean720
01-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Kimberley--hehe, maybe some of your stress reached me dwn here in DC...for some reason, I was up at 3 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I was still awake when my alarm went off at 4:47. Okay, so maybe it's really because I woke up coughing due to a tickle in my chest that wouldn't go away, but still...my thoughts are with you guys!

So yeah, I'm sleepy. I fell asleep on the couch yesterday during the day for a few hours, and when I woke up, I still felt like I was ready to go to bed. Blah. Maybe it's the gray weather (although yesterday wasn't gray all day, but we didn't actually leave the apartment, so who knew :p ).

I've been doing much better food-wise. Not perfect, but better, which is at least a step in the right direction. We went out to eat on Friday night to Uno's, and I got a bowl of soup and an entree salad, and then on Saturday, we had lunch at Sweetwater, and I had another entree salad, so even if I went over in calories both days, it could have been worse :dizzy:

Jen415
01-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Jill: Entree salads aren't too bad if they're not loaded with stuff. And you're right, it could have been worse, especially at Uno's. I was shocked to find out an individual tomato and cheese pizza was 1500 calories!! YIKES!

I'm expecting my weigh-in number on Friday to be a good one. I'm excited!

treefrogtoes
01-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey Chicks!

So it's been way too long since I posted! No excuses other than work's too busy.

It's nice to catch up with the 'veterans' and also nice to see some new faces!

I've been on plan for an entire year and it feels GREAT! I totally jumped off my 5 month plateau in the last few weeks and am darn determined to lose lose lose! (the weight of course!!!) I teetered between 232 and 235 from August until mid December. The week before X-mas I had a gallbladder attack (1st ever and hopfully ONLY! OUCH) and so I really had to watch my fat intake over the holidays in fear of having that kind of pain again. I also bought some exercise DVD's for us for christmas. So the renewed spirit and change up of routine has dropped me 8 pounds in 3 weeks. I never quit exerciseing or eating on plan that whole time, that in itself is proof of a changed me! (oh yeah, the lady I work with that had "the Surgery" last April, she started at 287 and is only at 212, I started last Jan at 312 and am at 229; hee hee! :devil: )

Sam and I are looking for a house to buy... no more renting. When we buy a house we are planning on getting another dog, a brother for Lexi! I'm really looking forward to it, but it's a really slow process since we can't afford to get a really nice house, we have to get something cheaper that is still in mostly good shape. What a pain. I wish I had a ton of money!

I gonna try to get on here on a regular basis again. The encouragement and conversation is just what I've been missing!

Gardenwife
01-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey, everyone. Hi, Sara - gosh, great to see you again! :hug: I'm posting from the waiting room, believe it or not. My friend brought her laptop because she needed to keep up on things at the office. She has the Verizon wireless plan and we get a signal in here. Howie is in surgery, and they made the incision at 9:15am. They call the waiting room every hour or so with updates, and if I am not here, they have my cellphone and call me on it. I'll catch y'all later. :)

Jen415
01-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Still keeping you all in prayers this morning, Kimberley!!

Sara, nice to meet you! You have made wonderful progress in the last year--83 lbs! It is definitely an achievement that you've made it a lifestyle and not a "diet"! That is what I am working towards...

Looking forward to seeing you more around here!

DianaLS
01-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Prayers on the way Kimberley and WB Sara, glad to here things are going well for you other than that gall bladder...:)

kykaree
01-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Ugh gall bladders are horrible, I got rid of mine, and have a nice scar across my tummy instead. The pain of the gallbladder attacks will stay with me forever, it was truly horrible.

I think a 10k is a bit ambitious for a complete non-runner!!! But I am sick sick sick of thinking about weight all the time, so if perhaps I am thinking about ideal nutrition and training plans for running, the weight will look after itself.

I am teetering at 200lbs today. Nearly there at 199, maybe next week!!!

I did a core body class on the fitball today. It's so amazing being able to do a class and keep up and do everything everyone else can do, it's so great! I really enjoyed it! We have two more classes this week at lunch time, ultimate abs (which sounds terrible) and body pump (which I have done before, it's good fun too)

I'm really tired now, 5 minutes til home time.

dragonwoman64
01-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Diana, I wonder if you couldn't get a big container of plain natural yogurt (which would be easy to find at the grocery store, I think!) then add fruit and honey. I try not to use artificial sweeteners either, I think it makes me lose my sweet sense, because they tend to be a lot sweeter than sugar. It's so much easier to find dark chocolate now here in the US, a few years ago you'd have to search out a gourmet place. chocosphere is great. scharfenberger is delicious, but overly expensive imho. the darker you go the less sugar too. we went to a store here called fishers eddie, they resell old restaurant dishes, and bought smaller plates to use, which I've heard before from other people, it's a great idea. Great suggestions. Keep us updated on the tips.

Good job at the Uno's, Jill. I'm getting better but not quite perfect too. It takes me a little while to get back on track sometimes. I'd say I'm at about 85 percent. Feel better.

Yeah, doesn't that suck, Jen, re the electricity rates. I think all the utility companies are going to do it. Thanks re: Phil book, too. I'm not having the umph I used to have and I need to figure out what's going on and get back into swing. Maybe I'm just making it too complicated, we did just come out of the holidays. The way things are, it's not easy to see a relative joining the military. Keep us posted about Friday :)

Hi, Sara, nice to see you again. Congrats on the loss during the holidays, tough time to stay on program that's for sure. Good luck with the house hunting, that's really exciting.

Wow, Kylie, that's a GREAT way to start off 2006, entering onederland!

It's cool you can post from the hospital, Kimberley. I'm glad your friend was able to come and be with you. It's after 2 here, I hope the surgery is over and all is well. :hug:

I'm doing stock spread sheets today to see if our client was fleeced. Time consuming and exhausting, perfect job for Monday. I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't really go back to sleep either, blah. On the bright (literally) side, the sun is shining and it's 56 degrees, not bad for January. Got to put the nose back to the grindstone. Take care, ladies.

Jen415
01-10-2006, 11:23 AM
What?? No posts since yesterday AFTERNOON?? We must all have other things going on!

I think I am going to have a pretty good loss this week if I keep up the work. I'm already down 3.5 unofficially! :)

kykaree
01-10-2006, 11:51 AM
It's very quiet here today not like us at all. My tummy hurts! I did a core body class yesterday, and boy did we get to the core!!! I'm feeling muscle I didn't know existed! I am not going to the gym tonight (I did do cardio at lunch) and am going to sit on the couch with my low fat beef and vegetable stew and the cat and watch telly!

Tomorrow I have a body pump class, I am having my weight lifting training shaken up (which kills me!) and then going for a swim!!!! And having my annual appraisal!!!

jillybean720
01-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah, it was quiet...I went out to a Vietnamese restaurant for dinner with a group of women last night. I recently joined this group called Metro Women, and it's just a group of ladies who get together a few times a month to socialize. It's so hard to meet people outside of the workplace that this gives us an opportunity to meet people in a safe environment, and I had a lot of fun. There was one girl at our table who was quite outspoken (really smart and nice, just loud--you know the type), and she and I got into some good discussions. I'm glad it was better--the last dinner I went to with the group was quite dull, and I was considering not joining for 2006 (it's $20 a year).

Well, I'm CRAZY tired! I thought I was sleepy yesterday, but then I got home after 10 from the dinner (since I got lost on my way home :o ), and Jeff wanted smoothies, so I made them, we watched some tv, then went to bed and watched some tv, and we didn't go to sleep till just after midnight. I then woke up at 3am (as seems to be my normal routine now for some reason), and then my alarm went off at 4:47 as usual, so I would say I got maybe a good 4 hours of sleep last night, so now I'm even more tired than I was yesterday. I really thought I was going to fall asleep in the car while driving to work this morning.

So, my plan for tonight is to watch Disney movies and NAP until bedtime ;) Jeff won't be home--his older cousin has to have tests on her heart tomorrow morning, so he is spending the night at their house so he can take the 3 boys to school in the morning. She called Sunday and told him to pack enough clothes to last till Friday in case they have to do more testing or find something that requires her to stay in the hospital. I am worried about her--she seems healthy, and I want to know why they're sticking a tube in her heart! But anyway, I will be Jeffless tonight, so plenty of sleeping time available. I'm suppressing my worried thoughts of him being gone--since our little issue in October, I pretty much worry about him whenever he's not in the same room with me (where is he? who is he with? what is he doing?). I almost feel guilty for worrying about him when his cousin is having these tests--I should be focused on her! I know he's been a good boy, but those fears still swell up at times. Bah, c'est la vie.

treefrogtoes
01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Morning gals!

Worked out with Denise Austin this am, she has the MOST ANNOYING voice on the planet I think! However, she makes you sweat and hurt really good.

I'm selling my elliptical machine to a girl at work tonight, it's about 3 years old from walmart. Sam and I have been talking about getting a new one for a while now, so it's now or never! We have one scoped out at Sears, a NordicTrack brand on sale now for $799, it's really nice and smooth and quiet! So I guess we'll be buying that tonight too.

Well gotta get back to work now... I'll be back later

dragonwoman64
01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Evening, ladies!

Jen, you're kicking butt! can't wait to hear your official total. You too, Kylie, man, you have the exercise down. I get tired just reading the list of things you do, heh.

Jill, maybe you need a little time with Jeff to get past it. hopefully those tests will all come out negative, that stuff gets scary.

Cool about the new elliptical, sara.

I'm still swamped at work, boss got a slew of new client's today. I have to go out tonight too, so I'm going to have to make this short.

I went to fitday today and logged in the calories, get the feeling I'm working to turn this around and get more serious?? have a great night.

Gardenwife
01-10-2006, 11:33 PM
This post's just a quick hello and goodbye tonight. I'm so tired I am close to nodding off here after reading your posts (not that they're boring -- honest!). Updates posted at thehman dot com. See ya when I'm fresh in the morning. :)

SwimGirl
01-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Hey Gals! I know I promised that I was gonna post more, but man, this sickness is wearing me out! I barfed most of today, and slept the other half. Nasty really.

Nice to see everyone posting again :) I will come and catch up soon!

-Aimee

kykaree
01-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Hello gals! I weighed today, sneaky me. It's offical, I am a happy bunny, I am 199. I feel now I can just concentrate on my training and let the weight take care of itself. I have no specific weight goals now, and goal can take as long as it wants, as far as I'm concerned. I have started to work on a five year plan, so that I have something to focus on once the weight is off!

My five year plan includes musings on whether a triathlon could be possible. I scare myself!

Hope you start to feel better soon Aimee, sounds awful!

jillybean720
01-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Aimee and Kimberley--it's great to hear from you even if you don't have much time to post! Sending happy thought both your ways (which takes work since you're on opposite sides of the continent! ;) ) :hug:

Kylie--WOOHOO for ONEderland! What a GREAT feeling that must be :balloons:

Marge--I'm with you on the getting more serious. I realized that January is almost half over already :o and I only have till mid-April before I have to wear that dress for my sister's wedding! I've been frequenting Fitday, but I still need to actually keep my calories under control a little more rather than just log the 17 pieces of pizza or whatever :p

Sara--great to see you back here :hug: You're such an inspiration with all your hard work! Oh, and I definitely think Denise Austin has an annoying voice, too ;)

Well, my plan of going home and napping didn't pan out. I went home, putzed around on the computer, had some dinner, watched an old episode of Gilmore Girls, printed out some pictures, and started a scrapbook page. I tried to go to bed kinda early, but then I got nosey and looked through Jeff's nightstand drawers :devil: I'm glad to say I didn't find anything incriminating (nor did I find anything on his computer, which I also snooped through a little)--I did find a letter from an old girlfriend (the one before me), but it didn't bother me since I know, for example, that I would keep tokens of my relationship with him even if we were to break up and move on. I know snooping is bad and wrong and all that, but it's reassuring to NOT find anything, ya know? Bah, I hate being an obsessive girl :dizzy:

Jen415
01-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Good morning!

The scale was up 1.5 lbs today. I think it is because I didnt drink as much water as I normally do. I usually have about 90 oz and only did 60. So I am doing the Super Flush!! 90 oz before noon! As of 10 am, I have 30 down, on my second 30.

Will check in later.....

Jill, I sent you a PM...

dragonwoman64
01-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Okay, Kimberley, put down your drink so you get it through your nose, I typed into my address thehmandotcom. I think I've become a much too literal person. I'm very happy to hear that Howie got through that operation and that it all went so well. :carrot: I was thinking about you two. Hang in there, rest, recuperate.

I don't know about you, Kylie, but I'd be (I'll be) kissing strangers (well, the good looking ones) when I get to Onderland.
:woo: CONGRATULATIONS!! :woo:
:balloons: :cheer: :balloons: :hat:
:bravo:

Great going, woman :)

still need to actually keep my calories under control a little more rather than just log the 17 pieces of pizza or whatever

Jill, heh heh, I find it's more painful to eat the goodies when I have to actually log them in and see the numbers, yikes. Those cookies tempt me less I see in hard print that they're shooting me over 2000. I could easily see myself doing the same thing, re: looking around.

Jen, I remember reading a post on the 100 thread from a lady that tracked her weight ups and downs I think it was every hour for a day, then over a couple of days, or some such thing. It changed dramatically even hour by hour. I know mine can change by a pound from 7am to 8am, don't ask me how that's possible.

Aimee, recover, recover, recover...I'm sending that over the www. :hug:

We just got about 10 new clients, and half of them are close to being completely crazy. Add that to the current crew and well.... Boy, could I tell you stories. I'm just about to head out to the gym, in a few minutes. It's 4pm and I haven't had any goodies off my diet. :carrot: Hey, the small battles add up over time. I think noon until about dinner time is the hardest period for me.

Have a great night.

Gardenwife
01-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Just a quick postie tonight. I had a very long drive home in thick fog. It was unreal how dense this fog was. Anyway, I read posts earlier, but was at the hospital and didn't reply. Too tired to now, wouldn't ya know? There's good news posted at thehman.com for y'all. :) :carrot:

jillybean720
01-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Good morning, all! A little later posting this morning that usual--had to "defend" myself on a thread where someone was on a strict liquid diet and was asking for help because she was feeling hungry (duh!), so I explained that liquid diets don't teach you how to eat properly and in order to not feel hungry, you should probably eat more than once a day, but that apparently wasn't what she wanted to hear, so she basically snapped at me defending her diet and telling me that I should do more research before I say a plan won't work :dizzy: Ugh, why do people ask for help and advice if they're not willing to take it? I've been given advice that I don't take, but I don't get all fired up about it since I know different things work for different people!

Anyway, now that I've ranted about that :p

Marge--I used to eel guilty when I logged my millions of calories into fitday, but I think lately I've gotten into the midset that even the way high calories is better than I did basically throughout the month of December, so I've been kind of in denial about how bad my diet is NOW :dizzy: *sigh* I'm getting there, though ;)

Kimberley--I am SO glad that things are going well for you guys! AND I'm glad that you find the time to come and update us...I know it's not a priority, so we sure do appreciate it!

Jen--hehe, how'd the Super Flush go? 90 oz sounds like SO much, but then I think about how I usually have 9 servings (8 oz each, so 72 oz) just while I'm at work, so I probably don't get much less than you in a day. Oh, and all the trips back and forth to the bathroom count as exercise, right? ;)

So, I was Jeffless again last night. I had a 7:30pm conference call for job #2, so I napped from about 5-7, then did the call, then watched my 2 hours of Lost while working on my scrapbook page a little. I'm proud to say I didn't snoop through anything (not that there's probably anything left I haven't seen :devil: ), and I am SO excited to have my Jeff back tonight. It's amazing how much I could miss him in only 2 days when I think of how long (a year and a half) we went where we could only see each other on the weekends. Guess I got used to that second warm body in bed pretty fast--I had to add an extra blanket to the bed the past 2 nights! :p

treefrogtoes
01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey girls!

It's busy today at work so i'm gonna make this a quickie!

Kylie! HOLY MOLY!!! I'm so excited for you!
Kimberly, nice to hear from you, get some good zzz's!
Aimee, stop being sick already! We need good stories, and yours are always the best!
Jill! I'm shocked that you're a snooper! ( I am too )
Marge, great job on the lack of 'treats'!
Jen, oh. my. god. that is a heck of a lot of water... I'd float right out of my cube at work!

My elliptical found it's new home last night (as I wipe away a tear for my dear departed friend...) A girl from work bought it, now I just need to go get the new one I want. and i'll have to put it together too... that sucks.

Going to a comedy club tonight with some friends, should be fun...

see ya all later.

Jen415
01-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi Ladies....not much chance to write now....I'm having a crappy day....it's on my blog if you want to read....

dragonwoman64
01-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Morning, ladies. Wow, it's quiet in this here thread. How's the French advice Diana? How's the 5-year plan, Kylie? (reminds me of my history of Communism class, heh heh, they always had 5-year plans). How's things with you, Jen and Sara? Aimee, how's the flu from ****?

Howie is looking good, Kimberley. Great news that you might get to leave by Friday. I'm sure that's a huge relief. I went on a road trip from SF to LA in college, we drove through the Central Valley on the way home. It was night time, and all of a sudden we hit a wall of fog. I'd never seen anything like that before. I was driving and I got behind a truck and followed his lights until we could pull off, then one of my friend's took over. i'll never forget how scary that was.

Jill, I've noticed the diet discussions get people pretty worked up, I guess because some people start to feel desperate about it. I've had my desperate moments too. These past few months have been more frustrating than desperate though. Re: Lost, I like the Mr. Echo story line, not crazy about the new commando woman from the tail end. Even after all the time Rob and I have been together, it's still strange when we sleep apart.

The gym yesterday was still PACKED. I had to go do resistance machines after the treadmill, then go back to do the elliptical. Usually I do all my aerobic at once then move on to the resistance. I may go take a midday walk, it's 56 and sunny here.

Have a good one.

SwimGirl
01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm still alive, stillllll sick. Ugh. These days I know I'm just overdoing it, I need lots of bed rest, but can't take even a DAY off work.

Sara - your post made me laugh.. I love it!

kykaree - CONGRATS to you!

Kimberley - good to hear Howie did so well!

Marge - :)

Jill - *waves*

I will be back full time soon... soon.. Oh.. I'm down 2 more pounds. Phew, don't know how that happened!

-Aimee

Jen415
01-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Nice to see you, Aimee!!! Get better soon!!

I noticed my sig took my blog link out, so here it is:

www.jen41565.blogspot.com

Gardenwife
01-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Just checking in, actually home a little early tonight. I wanted to get home earlier so I could get the bedding washed and fresh. Howie's coming home tomorrow! :) I got here and Dea already had the bedding washed and in the dryer. What a sweetheart. I'm about ready to crash. Gosh it will be good to have him home, not just because of the long commute (1.25 hours each way if no traffic), but because I am tired of being Howieless.

Jill, I just get the dogs in bed with me - no extra blankets needed! LOL

jillybean720
01-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Jen--I can still see your blog link in your signature...maybe it was just a fluke?

Kimberley--ahh, just another reason to have pets! We can't have dogs in our apartment building, but I REALLY want one. Guess we'll have to wait a few years till we move again :dizzy: On a brighter note, I do get to go visit my sister this weekend and stay at her place next weekend to take care of her dog while they are gone, and he is an AWESOME dog, so I have a part-time long-distance pet :p

Aimee--nice to se you at least stopping by! Hope you feel better soon (though I know it's hard to rest when working retail!).

Well, I got my Jeff back last night :D I think the few days apart did us good--he was very sweet and in a very good mood. His mother has been out of work for over 2 years because she hurt her back on the job, and her money has been tied up in courts the whole time, and she JUST got her check for her back-pay they owed her, so she sent Jeff a new coat and $1000 cash :o So we made a trip to the mall last night so he could buy a Nintendo DS (the new hand-held one) and 2 games. She told him he had to buy something for me, too :D He asked me what I wanted, but I just kept saying I didn't know. While walking through the mall, I saw one of those kiosks with all the calendars, and I said I needed a new calendar for my office, and they were all 50% off, so we each got one. I told him he could tell his mom he got me a calendar, and he was like, don't you want something else?? So now I'll have to think about it...:)

Jen415
01-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Girlfriend, I could think of a bunch of stuff!! Jewelry, CD's, handbags, shoes, fitness DVDs...I would have NO problem spending his money! ;)

Things seem better today--not feeling as stressed. And I am so glad I did not succumb to a binge. That is a major victory.

kykaree
01-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Well done on avoiding a binge Jen! I'm really wanting chocolate this afternoon, and am about to go and get something small and brown, otherwise I'll binge later.

I went to fitball today, and did abs. It was an organised class and really fun but really hard. You have probably seen it now but I replied to a post on the 300+ and ready to try again thread. Fitballs are designed to take 600+. It would be really great for you to get some core stability happening, it helps in all areas of your life, I even sleep better now I do more core exercises.

jillybean720
01-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Girlfriend, I could think of a bunch of stuff!! Jewelry, CD's, handbags, shoes, fitness DVDs...I would have NO problem spending his money! ;)
Hehe, I guess I'm not a normal girl that way. I wear the same jewelery every day (the necklace Jeff gave me for Chrstmas, the watch my parents gave me for Christmas, the earrings Jeff gave me last year, a pearl ring and pearl stud earrings I bought from my sister when she was selling pearl jewelery). I also only have one purse--I use the same one everyday. It's black and big, so itmatches almost everything and holds almost everything! I do need new shoes, but I have such big/wide feet that I really hate to shop for them. We have Netflix and a CD and DVD burner, so I don't need any of those...I was thinking of having him get me Zoo Tycoon to play on the computer because my sister has it, and it's a lot of fun, but I don't think I'd really play it all that much. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to be practical :p We still have a $100 American Express gift card that my sister gave us for Christmas, a $25 Target gift card my aunt gave me for Christmas, and we just spent our 3 Best Buy gift cards last night. It's hard for me to spend money :dizzy: We even went to Target last night specifically because I had the gift card, but we didn't end up buying anything.

Gardenwife
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Didn't you say you've been working on a scrapbook? Why not get some of those neat cutting tools or some really good pens? That's what I'd do in a heartbeat! I'm looking forward to when Howie's feeling better and I can go to the huge scrapbook store here in Frederick and use the $15 I got for a mystery shop. :D

We thought Howie would be released around 10:30am, but it turns out he needed a blood transfusion after all. They're giving him two units and seeing how he is after that. We're still hoping he'll be released this afternoon. I must admit, I stayed in bed when he called and said he wouldn't be ready to leave at 10:30am. ;)

SwimGirl
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Happy Friday!! I have tomorrow off, and am looking forward to a relaxing day :) Does it seem wrong that I'm losing weight without REALLY working for it? I somehow feel guilty, someone slap me!

Jill - I have the same problem with spending money.. I usually buy workout clothes, nice socks, and new t-shirts. I'm boring! You are more girly than me in the jewlery dept, I only wear a watch and a necklace..

Kimberley - back to sleep? Uhm.. I wanna come too.. hehe ;)

Jen - in very troubled times... I always try and remember "this too will pass". Or, as Ferron says, "clean your house in troubled times".

I gotta run to work! Byee!!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
01-13-2006, 04:41 PM
He doesn't get to come home until tomorrow morning. :( Better they be cautious, I guess. This way, though, our friends will be home and can help us when we get here.

"Clean your house in troubled times" -- hah! I've been putting dishes in the dishwasher, wiping down counters and doing laundry here. ;) Blogged about the latest, too: http://thehman.com

Hey, I completely forgot to weigh this morning! I've eaten too much throughout the day to do so now, plus it's not first thing. Can't jinx it. LOL I have been craving carbs big-time this week, and just started -- no wonder I've been wanting the crackers and cereal. It's kinda comforting to know those maddening cravings are pretty much just monthly and I can be prepared for 'em. Been snacking on fruit for the most part, though last night I did have unneeded tortilla chips and Kashi wheat crackers. Better than stopping at a drive-thru, still.

dragonwoman64
01-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Evening all. Went out to lunch and then the movies today. It was chilly and foggy here, we were hoping for sunny and warmish, so we could spend a little time in the park. We got to the restaurant we go to all the time, and there was a huge plywood board across the front window and the metal gate was half closed. The lady who works there told us, very nonchalantly, that early Sunday morning a drunk driver plowed through it -- luckily before anyone was in there. Hey, we sit by that window all the time, hmmmm.

Turns out Rob's brother and his wife are going to Russia on Monday to see the baby they may adopt. We saw pictures and he's adorable. I thought the idea sounded whacky at first, but maybe it's the right solution for them. I'm hoping it all turns out well for everybody.

Aimee, get well. 7 lbs is a lot. I'm working on losing the 4 I got from NY and TOM, 3 more to go, then I get to start recording them on my ticker.

Hang in there, Jen. Congrats on taking care of yourself and staying on your program at a very stressful time. I think that will only help you in the end.

Jill, I'm with Jen that it wouldn't be tough for me to pick something, heh heh.

Kimberley, I have to work with my boss's mom's insurance to help cover her nursing care, so I've seen the kind of stuff they do. It is frustrating (frustrating isn't the work because people depend on those reimbursements to live). And they they're such big conglomerates that the next person I talk to never seems bothered by the fact that the last person said something completely different.

Kylie, I'd bet you must know enough about exercise now to be certified as a trainer.

I hate to say it, Sara, but I didn't even realize you had to put together ellipticals. heh heh.

have a great night.

SwimGirl
01-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Hi! I am SO happy this day is over :) One of our computers died at work today, and another needed a new pinpad. Phew, it was QUITE the workout putting in that pinpad!

Marge - don't hate me.. I had to adjust my ticker, because it was actually 9 pounds. It seems the more I eat, the more weight I am dropping.. I don't get it, but I'm taking every single pound I can!

Kimberley - definitely better to be safe than sorry!

kykaree - I used to go to ball classes, they were tons of fun, something new which is always nice. My mom likes to sit on her ball when she's on the computer... she says it works her core without it seeming like work.

I am tuckered out! I'll talk to you ladies later!

-Aimee

treefrogtoes
01-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Happy weekend ladies!

Last night Sam and I went to Sears to buy or new elliptical! Yipee!!! well, we spent, after the warranty and tax, $980 and left the store with a piece of paper! grr. We have to go back on Thursday to actually get it, they don't keep them in stock I guess. Darn it! So it'll be a week before I can actually use it.

Not much happening here other than that. I have a long weekend because of MLK Day, so I'm off until Wendesday. Got my workout in for today already, heading out to have my Sunday morning coffee shop mocha and then going to Sam's parents to see their new paint. Her mom's been talking about painting above their fireplace (just that one wall) in a burnt orange color since I met them 7 years ago! For Christmas, Sam and I bought an empty quart size paint can and filled it with orange-ish color samples and a $20 so there was no excuses... her mom thought that was the coolest thing ever and narrowed down the colors for 2 weeks and painted it LAST Sunday. So we have to go see it before the woman go's mad with excitement!

Chat later! Have a great Sunday!

Sara

Gardenwife
01-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey, ladies -- Howie got out Friday evening. The traffic was bad when I headed in and I took a wrong exit, ended up going all around the inner loop 695 before hitting 95N to get downtown. I was a bundle of nerves from that commute, LOL! But he's home now, and that what matters.

He's getting better every day. Today we took a walk outside -- he made it clear down to the end of the street and back. And he didn't hurt to walk! He'd have walked longer, but he was tired.

Days are great, but nights are still rough for him. That will improve. More later -- just haven't felt much like posting. I've been taking naps! :tired:

1. Our walk
2. Howie on Saturday before the game
3. Emma's happy if the heater's on (so are we)

DianaLS
01-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey Ladies...just caught up on all the posts...I have not been well this week, Seems like I am on the TOM from HELLLL it just does NOT want to end...I hate this Peri-Menopause stuff...it is so tiring, and my TOM is even harder on me than it was before..I would gladly go back to having them 6 times a year...so only did Curves once this week...sigh, this has not been the best start of a new year for me diet wise...I have been eating way better than normal, and only drink water and coffee or tea now, so that is good too...The french book is very very interesting...it is mostly wholesome foods, not a lot of sweets, and lots of water...basically common sense stuff...she has included some great recipes, so that helps...Sara...I want to get an eliptical, but am afraid to use it ...is it hard on the back? I would hate to end up injured and back in the hospital...one reason I can't run or do a lot of jumping and things...that rod is a pain...I plan to at least go and ride my recumbant bike a couple of times a day if nothing else...the roads are all ice, so no out door walking for me either...Winter and me just do not mix...Marge...I am a HUGE "LOST" addict...and I don't care for that Commando chick either...she has a major attitude problem, but I am thinkin she and the doc are gonna hook up since obviously the chick he likes is into Sawyer now...Jill...I hear ya about people asking for advice and getting annoyed when they get it...this is why I have stopped giving it as much as I used to...Jen...I LOVE Jewelry, and cannot wait til I can go and shop for decent clothes and jewels again...one of my treats for myself is, when I lose half of my weight, I am going to get my nails done...Kylie, WTG woman, you are doing so great... Aimee, I sure do hope you are feeling better, and Kimberley, Howie looks wonderful!! well, am off, have a great night ladies, gotta do my dishes and sew some more :)

Jen415
01-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Good morning ladies!

TOM is here, the creep!! It's only day 2 and I am feeling like crap! I have at least 3 more days of this to put up with. I'm up 3 lbs from Friday....ugh!

Had a fun weekend with our friends, and managed to stay OP about 80% of the time! I consider that an NSV!

Good to see the Howberlys up and about!!

jillybean720
01-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Picked up my dress for my sister's wedding this weekend--it zipped all the way up without any "supportive undergarments" :carrot: I was SO afraid it wouldn't fit yet and that it would be a major crunch to get into it by April. WHEW!

I did really well (IMO) with eating out this weekend. My sister and I went out for lunch Saturday since we were out shopping, and I got a pita filled with lettuce, corn, black beans, teriyaki grilled tuna, and parmesan sauce--YUM! I'd never had grilled tuna before, but it was awesome! And I got a side of black beans instead of fries :) Then we went to PF Chang's (really good Chinese food) on Saturday night, and I had ginger chicken (grilled) and broccoli (and actually ATE all the broccoli) and we had chicken lettuce wraps as an appetizer. Stopped at Sonic yesterday afternoon for lunch on the trip home, which was not so successful (cheeseburger, 3 mozzarella sticks, and a milkshake), but when I got on the scale this morning, I was only up .5 from Friday morning, whereas I'm normally up 2-3 pounds after a weekend of restaurants, so I was happy :D

Still haven't decided what I want to spend Jeff's $$ on, but I think I am going to use my $25 Target gift card today to buy an exercise ball. My gym membership ran out this month (not that I had been going lately anyway), and I didn't renew since I don't like the gym. Hopefully, the ball will be good for me to use at home.

treefrogtoes
01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Morning Girls!

Diana, the elliptical is a no impact machine. No pain in your knees or back at all. My first one was from Walmart, about $300. Usually they have one on display, you could try it at the store. The one I'm getting from Sears is alsso on display, It's a Nordic Track on sale for $799, it has an incline ramp on it too, so it totally works different from my other one! (I'm excited... can you tell!?) I would really go and try one on display at a retail or sporting goods store, just for a couple minutes, to see if it causes you any discomfort.

Jen, my weight ALWAYS goes up with TOM... but it's always nice to see the drop when he's gone! He's just around the corner for me, probably why I stayed the same weight this week.

Jill, I love my ball! I use it just about everyday. Makes situps easier I think! I had a large one (75 cm) when I was heavier but it became really uncomfortable when I lost weight, so Sam got me a medium (65cm) for Christmas, it's perfect! I found a really great DVD that uses the ball. I got it from Walmart for under $10, it's Karen Voight B.L.T. (Butt, Legs, and Tummy) it's only about 23 minutes with warm up and cool down, so perfect when I'm looking for a quickie! It hurt REALLY bad the first time we worked out to it, but now I'm used to it, it just feels great!

Not too much going on for me otherwise. Sam's mom's new paint looks awesome. My mom is on her way over now to spend the day with me. Lexi got a new Dino Cuz ball and is squeeking it like crazy... I think it's gonna getr "lost" preatty soon! Kimberly, do your dogs like the Cuz balls? Lexi has a Good Cuz, a aBad Cuz and now we saw the Dino Cuz yesterday and Sam HAD to buy it... She loves them. (she being Lexi, well I guess Sam too!)

Have a great day!

jillybean720
01-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Sara, I was wondering what size ball I should get, so I'll prbobably go with a bigger one for nowand reward myself with a smaller one when the time comes (WHEN, not IF ;) ). Elliptical machines ROCK my world! If I could afford one and had the space for one, I'd get it in a heartbeat! I have bad knees (too many years of softball with extra pounds to support), and even climbing a single flight of stairs can sometimes make my knees sore for hours, but I can fly on the elliptical for seemingly forever and be knee pain-free! My physical therapist even told me to steer clear of stairmasters and running because of the impact, so the elliptical became a fast favorite :)

Kimberley--ahh, the commute...fun, isn't it :dizzy: On Friday afternoon, Jeff and I left Alexandria at 4:30pm, and it literally took us 2.5 hours to get to Fredericksburg (about 50 miles all on I-95). RIDICULOUS!

Jen--I think every woman should get an additional 2 personal days EVERY MONTH from work :p I know I don't tend to get nearly as much done when I have cramps and bloating and cravings and...ugh!

Gardenwife
01-16-2006, 12:47 PM
I am battling TOM, too. We're getting in sync, the group of us, eh? No wonder I was craving carbohydrates last week. It was all I could do not to eat an entire box of cereal one night; I had a big bowl, but quit there.

I'd never seen Cuz Balls until you mentioned them, Sara. The girls like knotted rope toys, stuffed toys, tennis balls and Kongs. There is a Kong Stuff-A-Ball here and Emma really likes that. Stuffed toys have to be really durable or their stitching is breached and there's stuffing scattered around the floor within hours. So far, the Fat Cat "Postal Plaything" has held up very well; he has one spot in need of repair, but is otherwise still un-punctured. Unfortunately, we forgot him at home. ;)

Howie took a couple too many oxycodone early this morning, overlapping doses. He's been feeling pretty crappy today but is getting better as the day goes on. I've had an upset stomach, but it's likely because of the antibiotic I'm taking all month to clear up the remnants of that UTI. At least the symptoms are gone with it!! Woo!

Jen415
01-16-2006, 03:10 PM
UGH...UTI's are a b*tch, espcially when you have to deal with TOM at the same time!

I agree Jill... let's start a petition! LOL....

Gardenwife
01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Wasting away here in crampyville. Margaritaville sounds better! :dizzy:

Jen415
01-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Margaritas....SALT!!!! It DOES sound good!

SwimGirl
01-16-2006, 04:23 PM
I have these pills that are AMAZING for cramps... extra strength ibuprofen, from a local store, London Drugs. One is often enough!

So I went to the doctor again... I was throwing up liquids and figured that wasn't too good. I have... ready for it? Tonsilitis! I've never had such a thing in my life... I am even resorting to anti biotics.. and for those who know me.. thats a huge thing. Now, I just wait and sleep lots. Ahhhh, what a load off my mind :)

I'm gonna go have a hot shower and drink some tea.. maybe in that order ;)

-Aimee

Jen415
01-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I had my tonsils yanked at 11...I was getting tonsilitis about 3-4 times a year for several years. Does your doc think you need yours out?

Try to stay hydrated if you can!

SwimGirl
01-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Jen - this is my first time having anything like this.. so he's not too concerned about them being taken out. However, this is the man who thinks it's possible to drink lots of fluids! When does this pain go away? I feel like my glands are going to pop out of my skin they are so darn swollen! And if you've got any tips on how to end some of the pain.. send 'em my way :)

I am happy to report that I ate 1 scoop of ice cream, and now am eating a banana and it's all staying down :)

I'm going to go drink some water and nap more... ttyl!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
01-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh, that sound miserable, Aimee. Ugh. My cramps have abated a bit after a couple of acetaminophen. The terrible gas and upset stomach have calmed down, too. Poor Howie...As if he didn't have enough to deal with. :^:

dragonwoman64
01-16-2006, 07:16 PM
TG for long weekends. I spent it going to the gym and sleeping, heh heh. This week will be short for me, I got today off and I'm taking Thursday off. Hey, that's a vacation equivalent in my book! I'll take it! It's my TOM now too, and I'm almost two weeks off, so definitely feeling the group influence.

Aimee, tonsilitis, that really sucks. At least you know what it is and are on the road to taking care of it. I was a little worried there wondering what was going on. Rob bought me Dr. Phil's book this weekend, and I've been reading through it. I think I didn't realize how much I put myself down re: weight loss. I think reading it makes me think more about how I'm approaching this so I can get better at it.

Kimberley, happy to hear and see Howie's back home recuperating. I'm sure it's 200 percent better to be at home resting with the furbies than in a hospital.

Diane, I actually have had to take the elliptical slowly because it's bugs my knees (made my knee muscles sore). Happy to add to that that I think I have weak knees. I haven't noticed that it gave me any back pain though. Big difference in how much I sweat with the elliptical over the treadmill or bike. The elliptical is probably twice the work out for the amount of time, imho. What kind of recipes does the French book have? This weekend Rob made me a broccoli and tomato cold salad with white wine vinegar, pepper, salt, and a little olive oil. Really good. Goes with lots of things too.

Congrats on the dress, Jill. I remember at my sister's wedding I did wear a very supportive garmet, heh heh. I felt like I'd traveled back a couple of hundred years.

Jen, I'm with you on the margarita, I love em with salt too. There's a place here called Arriba! Arriba! that makes great ones, that have El Papa (12 oz) and La Mama (27 oz). Definitely deliver a punch.

Sara, your elliptical sounds different from the ones at my gym, they have some precors and then another brand I don't remember. People will wait in line to use the ellipticals rather than use any of the bikes or treadmills.

Have a great night.

jillybean720
01-17-2006, 08:10 AM
tonsilitis--yuck! At least it's been diagnosed so hopefully it can get better :hug:

Am I the only one here who does NOT have my TOM right now? :p But I bet I would if it weren't for the pills ;)

Marge--lucky you, 3-day weekend! I work for a government contractor, so none of our clients (Medicare and EPA) had to work yesterday, but we still had to be here :mad:

Oh how I miss ibuprofen--I'm allergic, and taking 2 of those will put me into full-blown anaphylaxis, so that's a no go. It sucks because Iused to take naproxen sodium for cramps and it worked AWESOME. Now all I can take is Tylenol (acetominophen), which doesn't seem to work nearly as well.

Hope Howie's feeling better from his overlapped doses! Nothing like being all drugged out on top of recovering from surgery.

Well, I fell asleep on the couch last night for a few hours, then woke up and went to bed :dizzy: I came in to work later this morning than usual because I'd actually been working 9 hours a day instead of 8, yet I'm salaried, so I don't get paid for those extras hours, so forget that! As long as I'm here by 7, I'm god to go, and luckily the traffic wasn't too bad when I left later (the reason I kept coming in for 6 instead of 7 was that I worried that the later I left, the worse the traffic would be). Now I'm drinking a Coke Zero (mmm, caffeine...) and will go make my toast for breakfast in a few.

There's about an hour to an hour-and-a-half betwen when I get home from work in the afternoon and when Jeff gets home. Yesterday, that was a MAJOR downfall for me diet-wise. I'm usually pretty good, but yesterday, I went home and was feeling hungry, so I had a bowl of cereal, some leftover pasta, so ff cool whip, some SunChips...pretty much anything I could get my hands on :devil: But now the Cool Whip, SunChips, and pasta are all gone, and I have small cans of fruit and sugar-free fudgesicles to eat if I need them. It's been a long time since I've had touble with eating too much at home, but at least I know how to beat it quickly now!

Jen415
01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Good morning, all!

Jill, I can relate to wanting to eat everything in the house! And I can't blame it on anything but boredom.

Aimee: Your doc is right about the fluids, they will help you heal faster. As far as pain relief, ibuprofen works best for me. Just be very gentle with anything you swallow. Hopefully you will start feeling better soon!

Day 3 of TOM today, and it is just as bad as yesterday. I just wanna stay home with the heating pad on my tummy and watch telly!

Gardenwife
01-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Jill, those munchies can kill ya, can't they? I was like that one night last week. There's nothing but good, healthy food here, but I managed to eat too much of that just kinda snacking in auto-pilot. It could have been much worse (like if there'd been ice cream!).

Howie's still feeling kinda bad today. He's better than yesterday, but he has a headache that's nagging him, plus he feels weak and lightheaded a lot still. We did go for a walk, though. :)

dragonwoman64
01-17-2006, 01:14 PM
There's about an hour to an hour-and-a-half betwen when I get home from work in the afternoon and when Jeff gets home. Yesterday, that was a MAJOR downfall for me diet-wise. I'm usually pretty good, but yesterday, I went home and was feeling hungry, so I had a bowl of cereal, some leftover pasta, so ff cool whip, some SunChips...pretty much anything I could get my hands on :devil: But now the Cool Whip, SunChips, and pasta are all gone, and I have small cans of fruit and sugar-free fudgesicles to eat if I need them. It's been a long time since I've had touble with eating too much at home, but at least I know how to beat it quickly now!

my evil time is after lunch until about 2pm. I get a craving for something sweet. I was extra hungry yesterday, I wonder if it isn't TOM mixed with the cold weather. I chowed down more than usual though. Happy to say it looks like the water weight is gone and my ticker is truthful again, heh heh. Weigh in this week will be Thursday since I'll be gone Thursday and Friday, hopefully I'll even get out of the 60s. :carrot:

SwimGirl
01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
OMG, I found the cure! Prescription strength ibuprofen! Josh had it from when his wisdom teeth were bothering him, and so he told me to take one... normally I wouldn't. I'm so glad I did :) I might even EAT! Yay!!

Jill - I think you might be the only one with TOM currently.. odd how we are all sorta in sync here...

Munchies? Yah, I get those too.. any time of day really.. heh. There is SO much bad food in my house right now.. my saving grace is that I can't really eat. We have chips, ice cream, cinamon buns from IKEA (soo good!), cookies! These are things we don't normally even eat.. I don't know what came over us when we were shopping.

Jen - thank you for all the input, I do appreciate it... it's nice to hear from someone who has it, yah know?

Well I'm going to run... I'm going to clean every single thing in my house.. laundry-wise, and hopefully that'll help too!

-Aimee

Jen415
01-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi gals:

I went home from work yesterday at noon. I took a leftover pain pill from my rotator cuff injury, put on the heating pad and watched stuff I had TiVo'd. Oh...and ate a whole bag of Dove chocolate hearts :( I didn't eat much else, but was still way over calories...I guess I thought since I was in misery I "deserved" all that chocolate! Today is a new day....yesterday is gone.

Aimee: GLad you found something that helps!! You probably feel invincible now!

Anyone watching American Idol? The first show of the new season was last night....should be really interesting!!

jillybean720
01-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Aimee--YAY for actually being able to eat! :p I'm glad you found something helpful. I know what you mean--I normally probably wouldn't have taken someone else's prescription either, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Jen--I SO watched American Idol! It just boggles me sometimes...I was a Music Industry minor in college, and I knew a ton of people who were trying to make it as performers, and it is a LOT of hard work, so I HATE the people who try out and then go home crying..sure, it's disappointing, but if this really is what you want to do, then you should have been rejected hundreds of times by now already :devil: You have to put in a lot of hard work and not expect a TV show to change your life in a flash. Okay, enough of that rant for now :dizzy:

I successfully avoided temptation yesterday! Well, in the time between when I got home from work and when Jeff got home, anyway. I did have chocolates that a coworker brought me as a thank-you gift, but I still stayed below my 1800 calorie limit yesterday :carrot: Also, when I was visiting my sister over the weekend, she gave me a little counter-top scale for food (I'd never had one before), so I actually measured my chicken for dinner last night. I had been putting like 300+ calories of chicken in my Fitday, but according the the scale and the label, I usually have less than 150 calories worth of chicken! That means I even over-estimated my calories yesterday and was WELL below 1800 calories :D And it's definitely good to know since I eat chicken for dinner a LOT, so now I can more accurately account for my portions.

Gardenwife
01-18-2006, 10:55 AM
We don't have our digital food scale with us, and I miss it! Thing is, we don't really need a scale at this point, because we've been doing this for so long...It's just my crutch. ;) It's little things you're used to that make you twinge with homesickness sometimes.

We missed American Idol...There's no TV in the bedroom and I ended up going in there with Howie around 7:00pm to watch some of his The Waltons DVD's. We miss our DVR so much. Michael said I was welcome to record shows on the TiVO downstairs, but wouldn't you know every single show I wanted to record conflicted with ones he records? They're already being so generous, I don't want to mess with his TV stuff, no way!

There is a VCR built in on the TV in our sitting room, but because there's a satellite box, recording different shows on different channels would be a pain; you have to have the TV on channel 3 and remember to set the satellite box to the channel you want to record. There's no way to switch channels and record different shows automatically, so really there's no point. Like Howie said, it's only TV shows - not really that important if you think about it. I'll just NOT think about it. ;)

jillybean720
01-18-2006, 11:16 AM
meh, no harm in missing the first few American Idols. It's just the horrible auditions :p The good stuff starts when they have their finalists that get all competitive, frustrated, tired, and testy :devil:

dragonwoman64
01-18-2006, 01:39 PM
It's a day early but I couldn't help changing my ticker, I'm finally down into the 50s again, yahoo!! :carrot: I did an extra gym day on Monday, since I had the day off, and I'll go this afternoon. It's raining and blowing here, quite a storm! Hopefully by 4 it will have quieted down.

I can totally relate to the chocolate cravings, it's my major downfall. I've been doing better lately, thank Buddha.

Clean sheets I'm sure will make you feel better, Aimee. Not as better as the drugs, heh heh. I personally am thankful for the over the counter stuff. Hope those anitbiotics kick into gear fast for you.

Rob and I are going to be staying in Manhattan for a night, to get away. See you all Saturday. Have a great rest of the week.

Gardenwife
01-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Oh, but I love the horrible auditions! The show actually gets a little boring to me after they're left with really good performers.

Aimee, I forgot to mention something. You can duplicate prescription-strength ibuprofen by taking four 200mg caplets -- same thing, 800mg. It's usually cheaper to get it prescription strength for me, because we have a single $10 co-pay for a 90-day supply.

Jen415
01-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Kimberley, that is what I just did....took 4 200 mg ibu to help me get over the dang cramps!! I am headed straight for my heating pad when I get home!

Marge, have fun in the big city!

Kinberley, I LOVE "The Waltons". It is one of my favorite shows. I wish I had grown up in a family like that!

Gardenwife
01-18-2006, 05:50 PM
We love it, too. He has seasons I and II on DVD, and we've enjoyed watching them together. There are so many truly poignant episodes, ones which apply to so many areas of life. One we watched last night was "The Journey", one in which John Boy drives an elderly widow to the seashore. Her health is failing, but she is insistant on driving to the seashore so she can celebrate her wedding anniversary by looking on the waters where she and her husband crossed from Scotland. John Boy has a date with a girl he really likes a lot, but makes the better choice and drives the widow to the seashore. There's a crazily-laughable, silly dancing scene in it (where Earl Hamner makes the only cameo he'd ever do on the show), but other than that it's a terrific episode.There are so many good snippets from life in that show and actors all melded together so well, you really get to know each character.

Looks like we'll be watching more of them, because Howie's been told to lie down flat STILL. The doctor's supposed to call him this evening. Dang, if they need to do the blood patch, I wish they'd just have him come in and get it over with. He's miserable just lying flat on his back - makes him ache all over.

SwimGirl
01-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Kimberley - my ibuprofen is 400mg, and the prescription ones are 600mg, I gotta wonder the difference. I took two extra strength ibuprofen, so 800mg, and it didn't make a dent in the pain, yet one of the prescription ones helps SO much. Our prescriptions are free, so it works for now.

I tried to get into American Idol, but year after year it annoys me more. That whole Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell "thing", annoys me the most. I always seem to get on board for the first season of every reality show, but stop there.

Marge - have fun ;) the sheets were a nice touch, and clean pj's... I even aired out my house. I decided for lunch to drink some juice, and so I bought a bottle and was HALF WAY thru it when I realized it was gone BAD, yucky yuck yuck yuck!! I got a refund.. but YUCK!

Well, thats all of my energy.. I'll talk to you ladies tomorrow!

-Aimee

jillybean720
01-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Aimee--whatever the difference, I'm glad you found something that works! Ahh, free prescriptions...sounds heavenly! At least I only have a $20 copay for mine (of course, I pay more than $40 a month for the insurance and only need the prescription every 2 months, but hey, I'm not supposed to do the math, right?) :p

I must say I have never seen an episode of The Waltons. I do know they have a cell phone commercial now that is based on it, but I guess it's not a very effective ad for the younger generations that don't know who the are. I guess they're really targeting parents, though, since it's for a family plan. Okay, enough marketing analysis :dizzy:

I've been doing well on my diet for the past few days, yet when I got on the scale this morning, it was up a pound. Still below 280, but still annoying. Oh well...stay the course, and it will catch up to me eventually :^: I DID have 3 servings of veggies yesterday, which I think is a new record for me :p I had a lot of spinach on my sandwich and then had brown rice mixed with some corn, red pepper, and lots of broccoli with dinner--and I lived to tell the tale ;)

treefrogtoes
01-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Good morning Girls!!!

Has anyone else worked out with Gilad on FitTV??? What an a$$-kicking muscle-headed jerk! I LOVE HIM!!! My legs have never hurt so much as they do from that guy. We did his 1/2 hour show 3 times this week and I swear I'm dying! The show is called Body Sculpt with Gilad, I challange anyone to try it sometime. Ouch :)

Gotta finish getting ready for work. Hair, makeup etc. I'll check in later... Send me good vibe that Sears will have my new Elliptical ready for me to pick up tonight!!!

Later Chica's!

Jen415
01-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Morning Ladies!

Jill, I'm so PROUD of you!! You will find that veggies are really your friend! And you really should catch an episode of The Waltons. I think the Hallmark Channel has re-runs going on. You might find it a bit sappy at times (think Little House on the Prairie sappy), but they always have a good message. And the characters are very colorful and endearing.

Froggy, I hope your eliptical gets here soon! Would love to get one of those for my future home gym!

Aimee: Aren't drugs wonderful? I don't know how I would have gotten through the last couple of days without my darvocet. I'm lucky I still had some left from my shoulder injury.

I'm feeling better today, and believe it or not, I actually MISSED working out this week! Now I want to get back on track and headed towards TWO-Ville!

Jen415
01-19-2006, 10:56 AM
This is SO STRANGE! I posted how I was feeling better less than two hours ago, and now I'm in severe pain again!! What is going on???

Gardenwife
01-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Darvocet rocks. The non-narcotic Ultracet works well for me, too, and my doc will give me refills of it when I need it. LOL

I've gotta head into Baltimore to pick up Howie's prescription for more oxycodone. Doggone it, wish we'd known they won't phone it in. If we'd known that, we'd have asked for a refill on Monday and the scrip would be here in the mail by now. He's going to run out of it today, though, so off I go. If the Johns Hopkins pharmacy isn't busy, I'll just get it filled there; otherwise I'll wait at CVS near home. Ugh, anyhoo.

I've been wanting to get out of the house...Guess this is my big chance! ;)

Jen415
01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
HI all! Feeling better today....hoping it will last. So far so good!

Kimberley, did you make a successful drug run?

Gardenwife
01-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes, I did! My friend Jill (Critterologist at davesgarden.com) had me over for lunch at her house, then rode with me. It was fun having someone to chat with. She also has a Navman which gives point-by-point audible directions - very cool.

jillybean720
01-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Glad people seem to be feeling better--and while it makes me the oddball in the group, I'm glad I don't have my TOM :p

Jeff's proving to be super-sweet lately. Not only did it surprise me that he willingly volunteered to make the trip down to Va Beach again this weekend, but he also surprised me again yesterday a bit. I told him that it was supposed to rain on Saturday, so I hoped the Biggest Loser line at Jillian's would be indoors. He responded that it didn't matter to him since his Nintendo DS is water resistant (clearly, he has his priorities straight :dizzy: ). I told him that I wasn't expecting him to go wait in the line with me for hours, that I was going to let him stay at the house while I went. But he said no, that he would come and wait in line with me :D Good boy ;)

Jen415
01-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Jill, you're training him right! ;)

Starting to feel crampy again. Hoping this will all end soon! I would rather find an herbal remedy rather than use prescription drugs for the cramps.

Gardenwife
01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Well, how cool is that, Jill?

It looks like we'll be coming home a lot earlier than planned. Dea's got a family medical crisis and a 10-year-old boy is coming here to live here while the relative has a brain tumor removed and recovers. We'll be heading back to Ohio sometime next week after Howie has a PT session or two (including getting his staples out - yay). Truthfully, we've been really homesick, so we're looking forward to getting back to home and hearth...Family and friends...And Caribou.

Vive la Routine! :cheers:

SwimGirl
01-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Goodmorning! I am feeling better and better each day... I even ate 3 normal meals yesterday! Starting Monday I'm going to try and eat a more balanced diet, these days I'm choking down whatever I can.

Kimberley - a drive is much better done with friends!

Jill - thats nice of Jeff to wait in line with you! Josh and I watched the engaged couples thing the other night, it was so cute... he told me that he'd be WAY buffer than that guy, and I was clearly skinner than both of them. Men are so oblivious sometimes!

Jen - have you tried Essential Fatty Acid (or Fish Oil) pills? I find it REALLY helps my cramps, also calcium/mag has helped me a lot too. I got my friend to try those heat patchs that you get from the drug store, apparently they work REALLY well and last for hours.

I weighed this morning, and I'm down 1 more pound. I'll take it! Aren't Antibiotics supposed to make you GAIN weight? I suppose I'm only on day 4, we'll see what happens in a week. Time is going SO fast! I just realized in a week I'll be off to Seattle for 5 days for my brother's birthday. Wow.. it's the end of January! Eeek!

-Aimee

Jen415
01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Aimee, I Havn't tried that...is that something I would take only during TOM, or would it be for all the time? I don't know enough about that kind of stuff.

Kimberley, I bet you all will be glad to get back home! I'll pray that Howie is healed enough to go home and not need a return trip!

Gardenwife
01-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Well, we do have one return trip, but it's a scheduled follow-up. Another friend from DG -- the Jill who went with me to Hopkins yesterday, actually -- planned a "lovebirds tea" party at her house in Howie's and my honor on February 11. We thought we'd have to cancel out, but since we were able to make Howie's appointment Thursday 2/9, we can drive out for that and then stay through Sunday before heading back. We can kill two birds with one stone and still have a party. :)

SwimGirl
01-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Jen - I'm never diligent enough to take them all the time, they still really help when I take them only during my period. The thought behind the cal/mag is that it relaxes your muscles, it also seems to help with headaches, and leg cramps. Now, I do NOT know the whole logic behind the Fish Oil pills... involves prostaglandins, which somehow relates back to hormones, uhm, but it definitely helps!

Kimberley - a loverbirds tea sounds VERY cute :)

This sickness NEEDS to end this minute. I get this phlegm in the back of my throat, and it only goes away if I throw up, and sometimes I can't breath properly because of it. Grrrr, this better go away soon!! Poor Josh, I guess this sickness sparked some snoring.. and since I don't normally it's been keeping him up at night, it also wakes ME up. heh. You gotta laugh, cuz what else can yah do! Alright, on that note, I am off to sleep! Nite!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
01-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Aimee, if you don't already have one, get a humidifier. That will help loosen the mucous in your sinuses and throat. Dry heat is the worst when you've got phlegm going on.

We're heading over to the Frederick hospital ER to have his staples removed. Looks like the home health co. that was supposed to do it is balking now that we're heading home this week; they don't want to open an account for him for just one visit for staples removal. What-evah...These babies are coming out! ;)

Gardenwife
01-21-2006, 02:45 PM
They got us right in. He still has some staples left in because the incision needed a few more days' healing in those spots. Howie felt pretty comfortable in the passenger seat of the van, so we're good to go. I'll get our laundry washed and get packed today, and load the van tomorrow. Come Monday we should just have to throw a couple things in the duffel bag and we'll be ready to hit the road for Ohio. :)

SwimGirl
01-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Oh Margeeeeee, I know you are BACK! Come out and play! How was the big city??

Kimberley - it's nice to go home, eh!

OMG, I had a completely harsh day at work. The girl who I was supposed to work with all day went home SICK! She gets these headaches, and got super heavy duty drugs, takes them on an empty stomach, and they make her sick. Big suprise. Her body is totally dehydrated and lacking nutrients. Anyways, I had to work 8.5 hours with NO break, I was ready to die at the end of the day. I can feel deep muscle pain.. I'll enjoy sleep tonight I'll tell yah that much! Good news though!! Up until now.. I have NOT barfed... this might be my first barf-free day!! I talked to the doctor about my barf situation, he seemed unconcerned. It's been every day for a week... ewww, how gross!

Well I'm going to lay down, this sitting stuff is getting me all tired! Talk to you ladies later!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
01-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Glad you've reached a turning point, Aimee - sorry today was rough. Hope you got some good sleep there.

Howie and I took yet another trip to the Frederick ER last night when he had a fever of 102 and chills. The attending physician at ortho-spine asked if Howie's incision looked okay, if his breathing was okay, and if he had pain or burning with urination.

...Ahhhh, yeah, the last one. He has a raging UTI going on thanks to the two foley catheters he had while in the hospital. Now on Cipro (antibiotic) and Pyridium (analgesic that targets the bladder), he's on the road to recovery. We hope to head out for Ohio tomorrow still, but need to be sure he's okay.

dragonwoman64
01-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Howdy, ladies :)

The day and night out in the city was really fun. The bed and breakfast we stayed in is really a converted 5-story apartment building way on the East River on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Not too close to the subway, but a reasonable cab ride to the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- I went and spent a couple of hours there while Rob napped at the hotel.

We had one-bedroom, which meant there was a narrow stairway that led to a room with a day bed, a breakfast nook next to a huge window, and even an outdoor balcony area. It's strange in the city how with all the tall apartment buildings you can see into other people's places and get a glimpse of how they live. For a few minutes we watched a woman make dinner while her cat sat on the counter and peeked over her shoulder.

For dinner our friends came and met us at the hotel and we walked to a little Italian restaurant. I had fettucini with shrimp, and tiramisu for dessert, yeah, not too diet wise. They're such a nice couple.

We had a tv with 300 channels, kind of amazing. And we got a tray with breakfast brought to us the next morning. It's a great deal for NYC.

Amiee, barf free days are always good days in my book ;)

Kimberley, that's a drag you have to leave that house early. I can understand you wanting to get home. I hope Howie is ok and recovers quickly.

Have a great evening everyone.

Jen415
01-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi gals:

I'm finally feeling back to normal. Tomorrow I'll be back on 100%, both diet and exercise. I did some heavy housecleaning this weekend to prepare for our weekend guests, so I DID burn some calories this weekend.

Marge: Glad you enjoyed your B&B!

Kimberley: Safe trip home for you all!

Will catch you all later!

jillybean720
01-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Good morning! Hope everyone had a good weekend. The Biggest Loser casting call was quite uneventful. Jeff and I got there around 7:30am, and I was about number 300 in line. By 11am when it actually started, there were well over 1000 people in line :o We were lucky we got there early because we were actually waiting inside Jillian's, so we were covered and warm and could sit on the floor and have games and music and stuff--the line eventually went outside and wrapped around the building, and those poor people were stuck standing on the concrete in the rain!

Anyway, we went in in groups of 15. I was the youngest one in my group, and our interviewer was this skinny little blonde chick who seemed nice but at the same time very no-nonsense. She must not have seen anything she liked because all we did was go around the table to introduce ourselves (name, age, location, job, and "what our t-shirt would say"), and then she was like, okay, thanks for coming in! Other groups had more questions and were in there far longer, so I guess none of us fit their profiles :p Maybe by the time casting calls come around again next year, I won't be big enough to qualify ;)

Jen--glad you're feeling back to normal! It's so hard to stay on-plan when you're not feeling yourself.

Marge--what a fun weekend! Even if you don't go far, being away from home always feels like a vacation to me. Jeff is supposed to be planning a weekend trip for us to go to Philadelphia (all those years I spent in York, PA, and yet I have never been to Philly), and I can't wait, even though it will only be for one night and is only a few hours away.

Kimberley--ugh, UTIs. I had about a million of them growing up (ventually had a double kidney infection). Not pleasant, but at least that's all it is and it is treatable and they caught it, so he can recover from it quickly :^:

Aimee--boo for working all day alone, but yay for a barf-free day!

treefrogtoes
01-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Morning Girls!

Sam and I picked up the elliptical Thursday at Sears as promised... got it out of my Blazer and as far as the dining room. It sat there overnight. Very heavy! We opened up the box and took the pieces down the basement on Friday after work, spent 2+ hours and finally gave up getting it done and headed up to make dinner. Saturday's I work and Sam had to go in for OT then we had to go to my work's holiday party, so nothing was going to be accomplished so I thought! Sam, the sweetie she is, had almost the rest of it assembled during the afternoon when she was home alone! I think I'll keep her! We went to see 'Brokeback Mountain' (awesome movie, btw) and I finished the machine in about a half hour! Finally USED it this morning, OMG, it's A TON more difficult than the last one! YIPEE!!! I can get some new muscles.

It's Sam's birthday on Wednesday, I made an angel food cake this morning with no yucky frosting, just strawberries... her favorite birthday cake. We're going out for sushi on her birthday, mmmmm I can't wait!

Glad to see everyone is feeling better and survived the weekend! Talk to ya later...

Sara

Jen415
01-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Well, I had this whole reply typed out and it went POOF!!

Jill: sorry the casting call was a disappointment. I had thought about going to the one in Orlando, but we will be out of town that day.

Sara: How awesome that you have an elliptical! And how cool that Sam kept working on it to get it assembled!! BTW, is sam your daughter, friend or significant other? I had assumed Sam was male! OOPS!

SwimGirl
01-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi! I am very much enjoying my day off :) Its kinda nice to only have to work 3 days this week, it was nearly worth all the extra time at Christmas! Almost...

Sara - I bought an elliptical from Wal-Mart a couple years ago, it was a DISASTER! The thing broke, and I got hurt in the process... it would be nice to afford a nice one! I'm jealous :)

Jen - Sam is Sara's sig other... I had this question a long time ago as well!

So I am nearly better, the effects of the antibiotics are a pain, but it's nice to be able to swallow and not barf anymore. Phew, it realllly knocked me on my butt, I am very excited to be normal again. Josh will be happy as well.. he's been taking good care of me, but I feel his pain.. lol. I am NOT easy to deal with when I'm sick. Plus... no one wants to kiss a sick girl! ;)

Well I am off to find my couch, apparently one of the side effects is fatigue. I am off to rest... byee!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
01-23-2006, 09:45 PM
We're home - had a nice trip home, only 6.25 hours. :) It's been a totally off-plan day, but tomorrow's the return to normalcy for us (at least until February 8th when we head back to Baltimore for Howie's follow-up appointment).

Jen415
01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Welcome back, Kimberley!

Aimee, so glad you are not barfing anymore! I *HATE* doing it!

Had a great on plan day yesterday, including a great workout. We have some friends coming over tonight, and Alan is making some turkey chili--yumm!! Our friends that are coming over are musical. He is bringing his guitar so we can sing all night!

dragonwoman64
01-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Jill, Rob told me that he read they look for big eyes and large heads for tv, and a personality that stands out, but not too much. Don't ask me, heh heh.

Sara, I haven't made angel food cake since I was a kid. I'd be much better off with something like that on special occasions. Congrats on the new elliptical, I'd love to have one at home!

Jen, congrats on the good day. The days add up fast, then you see the results on the scale or in the inches, and in the feeling of accomplishment. :) I'm working on getting good days under my belt after my day in the city.

Welcome back, Kimberley. :)

Glad you're getting back to healthy Aimee. :hug: I'm sure you're so sick of being sick.

Made it to the gym last night, did about an hour of aerobics. Still a lot of people coming -- all the bikes were taken up. I notice I eat from stress (esp chocolate), so I'm trying a couple of techniques to counter that: deep breathing, listening to music, and extra exercising. I really need to get past this yo-yo behavior I've gotten into (losing the same 3 lbs over and over again).

jillybean720
01-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Sara--YAY for the new elliptical! I LOVE those things...if I had the money or the space, I'd get one in a heartbeat :)

Aimee--ooooh, only 3 days of work this week? That's awesome, and such good timing--you'll be able to rest and get ALL better!

Kimberley--glad you're both home safe and sound! I'm glad Howie's staple removal went okay as well. When I had my staples removed from my abdomen after surgery, by the time we got home from the doctor's office, the incision was re-opening :o Had to go to the ER and get that fixed...what a scare!

Jen--congrats on the practically perfect day! Sometimes, that's all it takes is one day to get the ball rolling...

Marge--I hear ya on the yo-yo. I have not lost an OUNCE since the holidays! I have a few good days, then a few bad days, and by the end of the week, I am right back where I started! :dizzy:

I almost broke down and had fast food for lunch today, but I came here to 3FC and decided against it. I was quite hungry, so I had a salad and diet soda in addition to the whole-wheat bagel w/peanut butter and jelly I had brought for lunch. A much better choice than a burger and fries ;) I am having a dinner with a group at Macaroni Grill tonight. I already checked their menu and nutritional info on their website, so I have a solid plan of attack! Now I just have to keep my hands OFF the bread and appetizers :devil:

SwimGirl
01-25-2006, 01:42 AM
I was talking with my brother today about weight loss, and we were discussing support.. I'm wondering, where do you gals get most of your support from? I definitely don't from friends IRL, Josh is very helpful, but since he doesn't need to lose weight its not really enough. I think I'm extremely needy, so would I ever be able to get enough support? As I'm growing up I'm learning you really can't count on people.. it sounds pretty bitter and bad. In general people are pretty un-reliable, and only do things that really benefit themselves. Maybe I am pretty bitter.. I've been burned quite a few times with the whole friend situation...

Okay, how about more cheerful things!

Marge - I was DEFINITELY getting tired of being sick.. felt like a huge whiner, thank goodness I had Josh! He dealt with the worst of it. You know, I'm a pretty huge drama queen, I bet I coulda been on The Biggest Loser! hehe, is that bad?

Kimberley - isn't it nice to be in your own bed, in your own bathroom?

Jill - I had to work extra days at Christmas for these days off, so it's kinda working itself out. I am definitely going to enjoy these days off though! Planning ahead really helps eh!

Well, I am all tired out... have a good night gals!!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Bathroom, yes. Bed, no. We were spoiled by the latex mattress at our friends' home - it produced NO pressure points, just even support everywhere. :cloud9: In it, there was no waking through the night from pain in my hips back or shoulders...Amazing. Howie was more comfortable in it, too. He sleeps okay in his, but would like one like the Nature's Rest bed we slept in the last several weeks. Some day!

I weighed between 199-200 when I stepped on our scale Monday. I'm not taking an official reading until our normal Friday weigh-in; I hope to chug my water, get back into good eating, and show a loss come the end of the week.

Sorry my posts haven't been more personalized lately...Just been kinda wiped out and am trying to catch up. It should be better now that we're home.

Jen415
01-25-2006, 12:44 PM
HI gals:

Guess what--Alan is employed! He starts Monday at a local company. Check out my blog for more details!

Gardenwife
01-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Oh, hooray for both of you! Celebrate! Woo! :cheer:

SwimGirl
01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Kimberley - I hear yah on the bed... while my bed is comfortable, it's just not.. perfect, heh. I have some weird thing about other people's bathrooms, I definitely prefer my own!

Jen - Woohooo! Congrats to Alan!

I am off to work! Have a good one!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
The nice thing about the bathroom at friends' was it was all ours, and it had never been used. She went out and bought a shower curtain, bath rugs and everything because they'd just never used it. We had two rooms and our own bathroom just to ourselves. :) Their tub and tub surround were definitely cleaner looking than ours! How sad. LOL

dragonwoman64
01-25-2006, 03:28 PM
I was talking with my brother today about weight loss, and we were discussing support.. I'm wondering, where do you gals get most of your support from? I definitely don't from friends IRL, Josh is very helpful, but since he doesn't need to lose weight its not really enough. I think I'm extremely needy, so would I ever be able to get enough support? As I'm growing up I'm learning you really can't count on people.. it sounds pretty bitter and bad. In general people are pretty un-reliable, and only do things that really benefit themselves. Maybe I am pretty bitter.. I've been burned quite a few times with the whole friend situation...

That's a good question. I think Rob gives me my core support, and he doesn't need to lose weight. He has had problems in the past, before he got to highschool, being over weight then under weight. He overcame that by starting to eat regular meals then developing an exercise routine.

I've been touching on it with my counselor, but I've only been seeing her a few weeks. I really only post about weight in this thread now, because I don't really have time to do too much online. I watch the weight loss shows, I find them inspiring. I'd actually love to have more support, how do other people here feel about that?

I don't get the impression that you're extremely needy, Aimee. Maybe it's more that you're not getting what you need and that makes you feel overly needy. One thing that I'm still working on is learning how to evaluate relationships, judging how much I should invest. Some people will be willing and able to give more than others. Then being ok with the ones who aren't capable and willing to offer more, and accept what they can give and give back that much (don't invest so much that I get devastated when I don't get it back).

It's been my experience that the younger a person is, the more self absorbed he/she will be -- but it's really the maturity level.

I figure the more skills I have in place being able to decide if this person is a good choice for whatever level of friendship, then the more confident I'll feel making connections and the less likely it will be to get burned, and if I get a little burned I'll be able to handle it. It's taking a chance whenever you enter a relationship. There are lots of positive aspects to having intimate relationships, enough to make it worth taking chances.

Maybe part of the whole deal is working on taking care of myself more, so I feel less dependent on what other people do and don't do.

It's all stuff I feel like I'm still figuring out :)

Jill, whenever I go off plan for any length of time, a vacation or the holidays, it takes me time to get back into the routine. Then when I'm back in the routine it takes time for the weight to actually come off. Frustrating.

Jen! :carrot: GREAT NEWS! I know it's been a big stressor for you. How come your blog link keeps getting erased? or I guess it's your sig.

Hey, Diana, haven't seen you in a while. What's happening up there these days??

Jen415
01-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Marge: Here's the link: www.jen41565.blogspot.com

jillybean720
01-25-2006, 04:50 PM
How come your blog link keeps getting erased? or I guess it's your sig.
3FC has changed it so that only your most recent post on a thread shows your sig. That way, all those graphics and stuff don't have to load 10 times if you have 10 posts on a page, and it saves time in loading the page :) The sig should always show up on everyone's most recent post on a thread.

kykaree
01-26-2006, 08:58 AM
It's a good idea really, especially for those not on high speed internet access.

My main support comes from me. I get a lot from Colin, but sometimes he gets a bit fed up, especially with the amount of time I need to spend exercising. My friends are all great, but I don't rely on them from support.

I adore the internet, and of course all of you, and my buddies on the UK thread have become really important. One has become an IRL buddy, which is great!!!!!

I am having a great week, the scales aren't moving but my clothes are falling off!!! I've been exercising with great enthusiasm, it's so nice now that my body wants to do it!!! I did weights at lunch time yesterday, then got to the pool a bit early so jumped on the treadmill and rower and then did 40 lengths in the pool!

Gardenwife
01-26-2006, 09:38 AM
FORTY lengths? That makes me tired just reading about it. Bet you felt like a million bucks after leaving the gym, though.

Marge, you're one wise woman. I appreciate your posts.

We're heading out at 9:30am for our first social outing since getting home. We're going to .... yep, Caribou. :D

Jen415
01-26-2006, 10:02 AM
I bet you missed Caribou when you were gone!!

Kylie, WTG on 40 lengths!! I love swimming!

I'm leaving work today at 3 pm. We're on a jet plane later today headed for Iowa, where it is a heck of a lot colder than Florida! I've got my coat packed on top to put on when we get there.

dragonwoman64
01-26-2006, 04:40 PM
3FC has changed it so that only your most recent post on a thread shows your sig. That way, all those graphics and stuff don't have to load 10 times if you have 10 posts on a page, and it saves time in loading the page :) The sig should always show up on everyone's most recent post on a thread.

ahhhh, I get it. sounds reasonable. I'm slow on the uptake sometimes, heh heh.

Man, Jen, good news you don't have to leave Florida. :carrot: You two need to celebrate. Ha, you probably already have!

Hey, Kylie, how was the trip? Were you 5 star pampered?

I'm so happy I have tomorrow off. Today was a little overly stressful. I have to admit I've been grabbing the sweets more than I want to. I thought that day off in Manhattan would be a bigger help, I guess one day isn't that much, then we had a problem with the hot water when we got back, and the fuse for the electricity before we left. All small life things that get me frazzled collectively.

At least I'm keeping myself going to the gym. Last night must have been teen night (how boring is the gym for someone who's 12 or 13??); it was like that commercial with the cheerleader and the cell phone (T-Mobile?) where she won't stop talking and all the scientists in white sit watching her while they go into comas ... heh heh.

Take it easy

dragonwoman64
01-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey, gals! we posted at about the same time :wave:

Enjoy Caribou, Kimberley, I bet they missed you. Have a good trip, Jen. At least the cold weather isn't so bad when you know you get to go back to Florida!

SwimGirl
01-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Hey Ladies, I am off to Seattle in the morning, and will be back Wednesday. Just wanted to let yah know I'm alive... only away for now!! See you when I get back!

-Aimee

BTW - I weighed in, I am still holding steady at 240 pounds.

treefrogtoes
01-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Hey girls! It's been a heck of a busy week! Whew...

We were supposed to go on a sleigh ride tonight for Sam's birthday, but they are calling for rain all day today and there's no snow on the ground anymore so it would have been a wagon ride instead anyway. I called the horse people yesterday to see what could be done if the rain actually happens, and they will move my deposit to another day. Still, I'm bummed that we won't have plans for tonight.

I had a 'little' victory Thursday... I wore a size 18 dress pants to work! woohoo! Yeah me! Then it occured to me that most people START trying to lose weight when they have to wear an 18! Oh well... I've still come a long way (weigh?) from a too tight 28.

Scale (the damn thing) won't budge! Grr! I like to see the darn numbers move!

Anyone watch the Biggest Loser Family thing on the other day? Wow, those poor teenagers... I was heavier than my friends in HS, but I didn't go over 200 until I was out of school and in a bad marriage. I just can't imagine...

jillybean720
01-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Anyone watch the Biggest Loser Family thing on the other day? Wow, those poor teenagers... I was heavier than my friends in HS, but I didn't go over 200 until I was out of school and in a bad marriage. I just can't imagine...
I keep missing the Biggest Loser special editions! I really would like to see them. I was 200 pounds by the time I was going into 8th grade and went through all of high school over 200 (probably closer, if not a little over, 250 by the time I graduated), and then I think I was about 250+ throughout all of college. Fun times :dizzy: However, unlike some kids, I didn't let it slow me down. I was made fun of plenty over the years (kids are so brutally cruel--and honest), and there were a couple other girls who were as big, if not bigger, than me, and they FREAKED OUT when people made fun of them. I eventually turned to humor, and when the kids realized I wasn't going to cry every time they called me fat, they slowed the pace a bit. I was in choir, drama, madrigals, French club, Service Corps, future writers' club, and a few others, plus I played 2 years of softball on a women's league. Lord knows when I actually had time to gain so much weight--oh yeah, must have been the fast food I ate constantly since McDonald's was MUCH closer to the school than my house was :devil:

Gardenwife
01-28-2006, 10:57 AM
We recorded The Biggest Loser and are watching it this morning. Glad ya didn't give anything away. LOL! I weighed around 175 through high school and started gaining after I graduated. What an awful fishbowl school is...It's just awful. I don't miss it, no siree!

dragonwoman64
01-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Have a good trip to Seattle, Aimee :wave: GREAT JOB on being at 240! though I'm sorry you were sick so long.

Sarah, I can relate to the 18s, I'm just getting into them, maybe a half size away. That's a thrilling feeling, seeing the sizes go down (especially since it takes me to gd long to go down a size). Congrats!

yeah, I could empathize with those girls on Biggest Loser. I was a big teen. I remember a couple of guys who gave me a hard time. Overall the kids weren't as mean as the kids sound today. I had a group of friends, did stuff with the school government. I only remember there being a couple of heavy kids. My high school had about 900 students. The cheerleaders, sports people were perfectly friendly with me, so no Heathers scene. heh heh. Then at the 5 year reunion, people who weren't as friendly in high school were friendly. I think I was harder on myself than other people were to me!

jillybean720
01-30-2006, 08:27 AM
I've been eating insane amounts of food lately, and not all healthy stuff. Today is my re-dedication to my diet, to my health, to myself. I packed my food for the day and planned ahead for dinner, and I started playing with my exercise ball last night, even if only to do some crunches (better than nothing!). I have eaten my way back up to 283.5 as of this morning, but I refuse to change my ticker to that since we had Subway and Chinese food yesterday, so I bet a little of that is just water. I'll check again later in the week when I've had some time to flush out some crap ;)

Aimee--have a safe, relaxing, and HEALING trip!

Marge--I hear ya on taking too long to go down a size! At 40 pounds lost, I was still in the same size as when I started :dizzy: I can't WAIT to have to buy new clothes!

Kimberley--I absolutely don't miss high school either. There's a lot of good to be said about growing up in a small town, but it's hard when you know everyone in your grade practically from kindergarten through graduation. You don't have many chances to meet new people, so sometimes I had no choice but to befriend those who made fun of me when I was younger. Those feelings of resentment are hard to get by...which is why I went to a college where I didn't know ANYONE! :p

Jen--hope you're having fun in Iowa!

dragonwoman64
01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
I've been doing this for a while now, and more than once I've had to rededicate myself to the program. Seems like I slowly slide out of it, I see success and so I'll let myself eat a little more, then I'll let some of the exercise slide. Before I know it, the weight loss stops and I have to get back to where I was. I figure I spent the majority of my life with the bad habits, it might take me a little time to replace them with the good habits.

I was reading in Dr. Phil book yesterday about how some diets that make you weigh and measure everything can make you fixate even more on food, and how some others give you the impression that once an addict, always an addict -- he thinks that encourages binge behavior because it creates a feeling of deprivation, you know, I WANT to have that but I CAN'T have that, and makes you think it has to be the way for your entire life.

I still feel like food has a hold over me, though I feel a lot more in control of it than ever before. I'd love for one day for food to take a major backseat in my everyday life. One step at a time.

Gardenwife
01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I know what you mean. Howie and I have been slipping more and more lately. Last night we got pizza plus had ice cream. Wish we could just reprogram the parts of our minds that make us do that. NO giving up, though - can't. This is too important.

On the plus side, we have been walking every day. Yesterday we even donned our ponchos and walked in the rain. It's only a mile we go, but that's a mile more than we've been walking, and it's a miracle mile every time for Howie. :)

Jen415
01-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm BAAAAAAAAACK!!

Glad to be back in the WARM WEATHER!! It's a good reminder of why Alan and I live in Florida!!

I wrote about my adventures this weekend in my blog: www.jen41565.blogspot.com

Will catch up on posts and write more later when I have time! I missed you all!

SwimGirl
01-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Gals!! I am posting from a very cloudy but no longer raining Seattle! It was VERY wet on my brother's moving day (which was yesterday), I definitely worked harder yesterday than I have in MONTHS. Which isn't to say much, because the only reason I got out of bed for most of Dec and Jan was to go to work. Today we are shopping, I am all done with cleaning and moving!

So before we left for Seattle I was 239, I'm sure this is been completely undone, we've been eating TacoBell, random fast food, and been to QUITE a few restaurants. On Saturday night we went to my brother's Christmas wrap-up party, wow. Amazon does a decent party, there was TONS of food, we all got 3 drink tickets, fake money for gambling (It was a vegas theme), there was a Karaoke room, a chapel (where people actually DID get married), and yet another room with a HUGE dance area, lots of tables for gambling and another huge bar area... it was amazing! Not only that, it was at a realllllllly nice hotel. I guess they can afford it though!

I went to 3 highschools, the first one was a pain, boys sexually harrassing me, to which I went to the principle and said if this doesn't stop, I'm charging the school because I'd told them a lot it had happened, my second highschool was... worse yet better, I was dating some popular guy which annoyed a girl who liked him and I got the rep of being a slut. Silly people. My third highschool was a breeze, I immediately became friends with "popular" people, joined tons of committee's, all of that. But I wasn't a B*tch, no sense in that.. I think overall I had it easy compared to some of the stuff i hear about in the USA, plus I wasn't really that large, maybe a size 10 at most. Highschool is TOO hard to have to deal with more than crappy people!

Well I better get to the stores... I have some money burning a hole in my pocket! Have a good one ladies :)

-Aimee

Jen415
01-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Happy Tuesday, ladies!

Not much to report.....Alan's first day on the local job was yesterday. He said it was okay, but nothing spectacular. I really think he is more suited for being his own boss. There is still hope for that to become reality again!

Kimberley: How is Howie today? Walking a mile just weeks after back surgery is AMAZING!
Aimee: Glad you had fun in Wash! I didn't know your brother worked for Amazon!
Marge: I know what you mean by feeling like food has a hold on you. Food has been my constant companion my entire life. I think I started putting on weight as a child to shield myself from my abusive home. Then I got MORE abuse for being fat! I couldn't win...
Jill: how do you like your exercise ball? I've been thinking of adding it to my workout.
Sara: Size 18 is AWESOME! I would love to see that label soon!!

I liked what everyone said about re-dedication. Maybe I should re-dedicate myself every day....what do you think?

dragonwoman64
01-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Welcome back, Jen :) Nice to have a trip that you don't have to pay for! I'm up for the daily rededication, that's for sure. This week I'm rededicating myself to adding back some of the exercises I let slide over the past couple of weeks. I did well this weekend.

Kimberley, I agree with Jen that walking a mile after the back surgery is great. It's a lot to deal with.

Aimee, that party sounds fantastic! I can say I've helped finance it, since I've bought tons of stuff from Amazon, heh heh. You know, it's hard not to hit the easy food when you're traveling and away from home, at least that kind of weight gain usually comes off fast.

I remember one time talking to a woman I used to work with at my first job in NYC. Her granddaughter was in highschool and I said, Oh yeah, that's a horrible time of life. She looked at me kind of offended and said, Oh no, my granddaughter is having a wonderful time! She's a cheerleader. All I could think was either I'm really out of touch with what goes on in high school, or this lady is. I leaned towards the latter conclusion. I'm not saying you can't have a good to great experience in high school, it just seems to me the odds tend to be against it because of the nature of the institution (raging hormones, teens trying to figure out themselves and the world, sheesh -- I know I was a rebel without a pause, ha).

You know the rain and cold makes me crave hot chocolate. I got this health newsletter than says to take a small piece of dark chocolate and melt it in non-fat milk in the microwave. Maybe another rededication for me will be to find more substitutes like that.

SwimGirl
01-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi! I managed to steal a second this morning while my brother is off to work, and we are making breakfast before we hit the stores! I am on the quest to find some cute capri's, these ones I've seen at the GAP specifically.

This trip has been, and still is humbling. I was helping my brother move and was astonished at how outta shape I am... I am sore in places I didn't know could get sore. This is literally the worst it's ever been for me. Last night on the walk home from the restaurant I had a mini break down, Josh was very helpful with reminding me that I've basically been stuck in bed for a while. Still, I don't want this again. I'm going to need to be in shape for when I come here, so I shall be getting back in shape!! I guess more talk about re-dedication!

Marge - I saw the head of the company! Jeff Bezzios or however you spell his name... he's very normal looking. Well, everyone was, there wasn't a way to tell that quite a few of them make over 70,000/year. I wish... hehe.. it'll happen if I make it happen!

Sorry to cut this so short... but I gotta get some food.. my tummy is VERY angry! I am back to Canada tonight... so I'll likely post more tomorrow!

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
02-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I started a Feb thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1112026#post1112026)

See you all there.