Alternachicks - Alternachick chat January 2006

View Full Version : Alternachick chat January 2006

mauvaisroux
01-01-2006, 02:59 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! :cheers:

Hope that everyone had a fun last night :)

We celebrated by having a couple we are friends with over for a lasagna dinner then the four of us went to see King Kong. It was a low key night but we had a lot of fun :D

I've already started my new plans for the 2006 (I hate saying resolutions :lol: ) by clearing out some stuff from my house last week, reorganizing my kitchen cupboards and stocking up on groceries and I went back on plan this morning :carrot:

Punkinseed
01-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Happy New Year all!

I hope everyone had a safe night. I spent the night at a friend's house and we sat outside in the cold to watch fireworks at midnight, then sat up for a couple hours talking. Didn't drink too much, funny how when you get older that's less and less part of the celebration....

My birthday's tomorrow, so my mom, best friend, her husband and I are all heading back to WW next week. It'll be nice to have company doing this instead of having to explain why I can't eat the same c-rap they all are.

I became an auntie on Dec. 29th. My best friend in CA had a son, 13 weeks early and he weighed in at a whopping 1 pound 11 ounces. All is well so far, he's only taking a little oxygen.

So many reasons now to get healthy and stick around for a LONG time.

Blessings, Terri

mauvaisroux
01-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Congratulations on becoming and Auntie!

Well the first 2 days of being back OP have been good - the only slip up was trifle for dessert at my mum's house last night but I did have enough points for it so I think I'll be okay.

This is my first day back at work since the 23rd so I'm struggling to get back into my routines :dizzy:

Tani
01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Happy New Year everybody :D :D

I'm looking forward to getting back to the pool tonight. I hate that they close over the school's winter break. <grumble grumble>

I'm trying really hard not to catch my husband's cold. Luckily this is not an impossibility these days (Like it used to be).

Leenie
01-03-2006, 03:06 PM
:wave: Happy New Year Chicks ;)

mauvaisroux
01-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Same to you Leenie :)

Day 3 is going good - I've actually managed to journal my points etc.! :cp:

I am working on my budget tonight and then I'm going to have cup of herbal tea and start my new Terry Pratchett -getting started on my vow to read 1 book per month this year ;)

mauvaisroux
01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
:( Crapo day at work today - bus was late, boss was early, couldn't get peace to get any work done, under ate, got a headache and was generally cranky.

I got home and got it out of my system by vigorously shoveling snow out of the laneway and walkway so DH would have a place to park when he got home and now I'm feeling better :lol:

Had a nice supper with DH and now I'm just gonna play on the net tonight :)

ajandpj99
01-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey Mauv - Sorry to hear about work :listen: - glad your day turned out ok. :hug:

I was having an off day yesterday too - seemed like I spent all day trying to fix other peoples mistakes and was getting quite annoyed. :censored: Then DH tells me he definately has a cold :headache: - great - so now I have bombard my system with Zinc and C and Echanacia (sp?) and hope for the best. :goodvibes

We are going to the dump after I get off work. That should be a big thrill. :dz:

I checked out Flylady and now I get a 1000 emails from her - so I see Tani's point about her being a bit annoying. :hyper: But I do like the tips - :chin: I think my housekeeping problem has always been that I dont care and figure no one else should either - having a little whip cracker :rollpin: in my inbox might be just the guilt trip I need. LOL :crazy:

Anyway - happy losing to all today!

Trish

mauvaisroux
01-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I don't get the e-mails for that purpose - I would never be able to get around to reading them all.

I just check the site daily for the missions and do them. Flylady has definitely helped me keep my house tidy and having daily routines had been great!

Tani
01-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I love love love my daily routines. I think I'm genetically programmed to be messy, and having a daily/weekly schedule has really made such a huge difference for me. :)

Of couse last night I blew off cleaning *and* weights to knit on my latest sweater creation. I'm almost done, and getting impatient to finish ;) I just have to knit the collar and the right side zipper band, then install said zipper.

lizziness
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I totally just made a binder with my different routines, a routine for the real cleaning - like when i have a few hours, and then the ones when i have just a few minutes to spend one one place.
mostly, i just have a plan inside my head and using a timer works great. i just know i want to do one room at a time, and that half-assed is better than not at all. that's the hard one for me to learn, i want it all to be perfect!!!

Anyway, i'm sore as sore can be. funny how doing physical therapy to make myself feel better, is just making me hurt in other places. *L* my poor hubby hurt his back this week and has been out the last two days at home on meds and cranky!! as sore as i am, i'd rather be at work then home. *LOL*

ajandpj99
01-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Boy do I hear ya Tani. I have been saying for years that being a good housekeeper is genetic. My mother was better than me but only cause dad is such a nag. My DH doesnt quite have that over me - his deal is that if it is already clean and tidy - he will keep it that way - but let a small mess sit na dhe happily adds to it. Of course he and I have different ideas about clean - he doesnt like clutter but doesnt seem to mind residue whereas I would rather have a stack of crap that I could eat of off that an empty space gathering mold.

Obviously there has to be a happy medium. I am the same as lizzy in that I tend to avoid projects that I can't finish - I too am getting over that. It is like I said a few months ago about eating - it is all about control. Control what you eat, watch and do in your spare time.

Now if the sun would just stay out longer - I might get more done - I tend to shut down at dusk. So I guess being a vampire is out. LOL The only time I am awake feeling in the evening is during a full moon. Weird huh?

I hope that Fly works out for me - baby steps - keep it simple and all that. We'll see, I can be really lazy when I want to be. But I seem to be ready for some structure.

I even agreed last night to start working out with DH 4 times a week. We have weights and stuff in our gym so we would start with quick hike up the back hill for cardio - followed each day by 1 section of body with weights, arms, chest, legs, back. I told him he could be my trainer, helping with weight selection and motivation to do it.:carrot: :p :?: :?: :dizzy: :carrot:

mauvaisroux
01-06-2006, 12:12 PM
I work better in the mornings but DH likes to sleep in on the weekends. That means I'm up and about at 8:00 a.m. and can't do anything major like vacuming and clanking about so I go to the other end of the apartment and tidy the kitchen and bath and do the dusting in the livingroom.

By the time he gets up I have got half the house done! :lol:

I did a big clean up about 2 weeks before Christmas and then did some cleaning and purging between Boxing Day and New Year's Eve. Getting up to a tidy kitchen every morning has been wonderful and coming home to a tidy house each night makes it so much easier to get dinner going, lunches made for work and clothes picked out for the next day. I've been much better at leaving the house on time for work. :D

In the next few weeks this will help give me time to exercise too! :carrot:

Tani
01-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Well so much for not catching my husband's cold. I've been down and out of it for the last 2 days. Yesterday a major accomplishment was lifting my head without the room spinning. Grrr. I think the worst is over now though, thankfully. I have to make it back to work tomorrow as I've got a newbie starting and have to train them.

mauvaisroux
01-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Hope you are feeling better Tani :)

I have had no energy at all for the last day or two and I am feeling anti-social too -bleah! :p

I think I need to get out into the fresh air today to boost myself :yes:

ajandpj99
01-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh poor Tani! I know how you feel - my hubby had a cold all weekend and this morning I think I feel the first signs of it. This is really gonna blow because even though I work at home I have animals to care for when DH is on the road - so if this cold takes hold of me and I have to drag my butt out in the rain to feed horses with a head spinning chest congested nose dripping cold - I wont be happy. So I flat refuse to acknowledge it. LOL

Anyway it could just be that morning phlemn so will see how I feel tomorrow. It would figure that I would get sick - If I am gonna do it - I usually catch it right after DH is done with it. And we are suppose to start doing weight training this week so naturally I wont feel like it.

Fingers crossed - taking a zinc - later ladies!

Tani
01-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys, & my fingers are crossed for you AJ!

Alas, this thing is just really getting it's grips on me. I think my sinuses and eyes are infected now. I can barely see they're so swollen shut and full of ickiness. (what the heck!) :?: I'm hitting the doctor's office after work.

I told my husband that I'm moving to the spare room the next time he brings something home! :p

ajandpj99
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Man, you sound awful Tani! ;) :hug: I wish I could blame DH but he cant help that he works around people. :p Our first winter here niether of us got sick since I work at home and DH wasnt working. :cool: All weekend he kept reminding me that I must want his cold - I am very affectionate and kept forgetting he isnt kissable when sick. :dizzy: He practically had to beat me off with a stick! He says "you must really want this cold" and I said "no, just you".:devil:

A hot steamy shower - very hot - following a strong dose of decongestant and antihistamine - then after your shower, make your favorite hot drink and spike it with your favorite spirit and then toss in a good pain killer for fun and go to bed.

Sleep is the cure - the rest just gets you to sleep.

Punkinseed
01-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Good afternoon dahlings,

To all you sickies, I hope you feel better soon!

I was heading BACK to WW this afternoon (after a few years hiatus) but need to attend to legal biz with my mom's attorney - just re-doing some things after my stepfather's passing. So, I'm going next week, but am starting back on the wagon TODAY!

Thanks for the congrats! Baby is doing just fine, but I really wish I could get down to see my new nephew! Too much snow in the passes to make it a safe trip though.... He's slowly gaining weight, it off all IV fluids and is only breathing with a nasal cannula (sp?) now pure room oxygen - nothing more. So far, so good! I'll be down to see him when he goes home - probably some time in March.

Ok, should get some work done. Take care everyone!

Terri :wizard:

mauvaisroux
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Glad to hear that your nephew is improving - sending some healing vibes his way :goodvibes

Gee- Tani thats sounds horrible, take care and get some rest :hug: - you too Aj!

dentrassi
01-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi all!! well, 2006 is starting out a bit rough here, but DH and I had a 2 night getaway (I LOVE Hotwire!!) over the weekend, and HOPEFULLY that is the beginning of the REST of 2006!! We were so sick the week before that we rested most of the time, but it was great.

mauvaisroux
01-17-2006, 11:21 AM
That's great Den :) Sounds like you needed the getaway :yes:

Nothing new here, stress at work - way too busy for January :lol:

I have managed to get part of my missions for 2006 started though - I was supposed to read at least one book per month and I have managed 2 so far :cb:

PinkyPie
01-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Hello Everyone!
I just rejoined 3FC - LONG time ago I used to hang out here. Hope you don't mind if i jump in again?

ajandpj99
01-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi all!

Hello again to Renee. Congrats on the mini goal Mauv! :hug:

Well I did end up with a cold and had a rotten week - especially the weekend - since I wanted to rest and DH decided to do inside projects basically bugging the heck out of me. :p But the good news is that last night I finally slept through the whole night and feel much better today.:D

I took a peek at the scale over the weekend and seem to be holding steady - couse miss flow will be along any day so there may be hope for a loss after that.:dizzy:

This was one of those - "I am starving" colds - but nothing tasted or sounds good when your all stuffed up so I really didnt eat much - not any more than normal anyway.:cool:

DH started working out again last weekend and now that I feel better I can join him. :carrot:

Happy Tuesday!

squeaker
01-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Real fly by post!

Hi! :wave: I am still alive. Be back later...

purple_monkey_ninja
01-17-2006, 06:32 PM
I generally have a hard time just jumping in to forums, but what the heck, I really like this place so far, and this forum especially!

My dh and I went to Austin this weekend, and I've discovered having to go out of town suddenly kinda makes sticking with my diet a bit difficult. And to top it off it was for a memorial service which happened to be a potluck, so I fell a bit off the wagon. Most of the food there was really yummy and perfectly acceptable food for me, but then there was the oatmeal cookies and the Kahlua chocolate sauce that I didn't do so well at resisting...
And at funeral type events is one of the only times I find actual comfort in food. I've heard people say it's about affirming life and liveliness in the face of death, and that seems to make sense.

The dh and I are also quitting smoking! Yay! I'm down to about 5 a day, which is just really great, and I have the date of January31st set as the day of my very last cigarette. I will be officially smoke free February 1st.
I quit smoking for 4 years when I was pregnant and having kids, until a few months after my 2nd was born. :no: It was silly for me to start again.

I want to get bikes and a bike rack and helmets, etc, as a "prize" for quitting with all the $$ we'll save. :carrot:

Today is my one year anniversary at my job and I got a cheesy certificate...

mauvaisroux
01-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Congratulations on cutting back on the smoking :cp: Keep up the good work! :cheer:

greatchoice
01-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi. I would like to start posting here if that's ok? Hopefully I will be faithful about posting and since this is only my 2nd post anywhere on this board, I'm not sure if I'm even doing this right! I will go over and post a bio in a few but just a quick synopsis. I live in Southern California. I am 44 yrs old, married with 3 children, 21 yr old twin boys and a 15 yr old boy. I work nights and have for about 15 years. I am not very computer savvy, I just get by with the basics. Anyway, hope to get back here often and get to know everyone.

mauvaisroux
01-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Welcome Greatchoice! :wave:

mauvaisroux
01-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Good morning all! :coffee:

Well winter seems to be back again this morning (snow and freezing rain today) - oh well, can't really expect any signs of spring until at least mid March up where I am :lol:

I can't believe it is the end of the month already - January seems to have flown by :angel:

Tani
01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm soooooo tired of the wet this winter. We had 29 straight days of rain, a one day break and then right back to rain.

Normally I love the rain, but enough is enough even for me!:dizzy: Especially 40 degree January rain.

lizziness
01-30-2006, 04:29 PM
ugh, i agree Tani. when i lived up in bellingham we had like 63 consecutive days - that was back in 1998 i think. it sucked a lot!

here's been a little better. flooding seems to be les than it was. woke up to thunder and sideways rain this weekend tho.

counting down the days til i go on vacation. 11.... :)

hannah_weeks
01-30-2006, 10:28 PM
I live in Missouri and we are so dry that we have a burn ban - which really got in the way of a few of my rituals that I had wanted to perform this month :( . We had a bit of rain yesterday - but the ban was not lifted *sigh*. This is the time of year when I burn off my garden so that it will be ready to till and plant by the end of March - I'll just have to deal with the slight delay in plans I suppose.