Alternachicks - Winter book list

View Full Version : Winter book list

mauvaisroux
01-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Well it's that time of year where after being out for a brisk walk the need for a blankie, hot chocolate and a good book to cozy up with arises. :coolsnow:

Any one get any books for Christmas? or are you like me and have a stack of "get around to reading someday" books on your bedside table? :lol:

I got " Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett which I will start on this afternoon :)

Dinahgirl
01-01-2006, 03:36 PM
My husband is a Terry Pratchett addict and we've had a number of "incidents" when he is reading in bed and laughing so hard that he wakes me up. I guess I better read them too so I can see what all the fuss is about.

peacock 2
01-03-2006, 07:08 AM
I got a few for my Birthday. I had read them before but lost them in a move. I like them myself but it is more a man's thing - all sorts of weirdy beardy types really like his stuff. I like the character DEATH a lot. Oh and the Wyrd Sisters too.

mauvaisroux
01-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Dinahgirl - I had to stop reading them on the bus as I would laugh out loud and then people would think I was a freak -too bad that didn't stop them from sitting with me :lol: I hate public transport but have to take it to get to work :p

Peacock - I love the D E A T H character and the suitcase with legs and gnashing teeth :D . The humour in Pratchett's books makes me think of Fantasy meets Monty Python :rofl:

peacock 2
01-04-2006, 04:59 AM
Aah! Yes! Luggage! One of my faves!

D E A T H is my number one though. I love it when wizards try to hide in places and all of a sudden they hear "IT'S DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?"

wONDERFUL!

squeaker
01-04-2006, 08:06 AM
I think I am going to have to try Terry Pratchett again. I tried reading Hogfather a while back, and just couldn't get into it. I didn't dislike it, just wasn't grabbing me at the time.

I did finish all 3 of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books. I LOVED them! I highly recommend them. They were very sweet and easy reads.

mauvaisroux
01-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Squeaker - I suggest you start with the first book of the Discworld series - The Colour of Magic. All of the books can stand on their own as they are all separate stories featuring recurring characters as opposed to a continuing saga.

The Colour of Magic is a fun read and you meet a lot of the characters who show up in later books - I think the other books would make more sense if you already new some of the characters. :)

RottenApple
01-10-2006, 01:33 AM
I love Terry Prachett (can't spell for the life of me though). But I have been on a major High Fantasy kick for some reason. I just got done ploughing through "The Wheel of Time" Series...I would highly recommend this series. I tend to not want to read bocks that people say are a "must read" so it took me years to pick up these books and I am regretting that now. LOL

and I have the omibus The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelzany sitting next to my chair. 1-10 in one book. I love Omibuses. Can't wait to start these.:carrot:

mauvaisroux
01-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Juat finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere - really enjoyed it :) I got American Gods for Christmas so I will read that after I have finished Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett.

I've had that book for some time, read about 1/2 of it then misplaced and found it the other day with the book mark still in it :lol: So I will finish that off and then start Going Postal next week.

Who is the author of the Wheel of Time series - I would be interested in reading them. I mostly read Scifi and Fantasy as well as theology/spiritual books for fun - a break from law books, technical manuals and books for research ;)

RottenApple
01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
The author of WOT is Robert Jordan. The first book is The Eye of the World I was really impressed and it had me hooked from the prolouge and very rarely are those that interesting.

Another seris I love is The Sword of Truth series by Terry GoodKind...the first book is Wizard's First Rule

I have read American Gods...loved that book. I hope you enjoy it

purple_monkey_ninja
01-10-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm just jumping right in, cause this seems like my kind of place!

American Gods is one of my favorites! I recently read Anansi Boys, and really enjoyed that, too. I love Gaiman's writing. Haven't been able to get that much into Terry Pratchett, but have enjoyed what I have read well enough. Husband person really likes him. But one of the best books I've read was Good Omens, by Gaiman and Pratchett. Very good, funny stuff.

Right now I am reading An Anthropologist on Mars, by Oliver Sacks, and it's fascinating! I find neurological disorders really interesting and this book is a great read.
I'm going to embark on Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson soon. That should take a good while to get through.

R.

RottenApple
01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
ooooooooo I love your baby cathullu icon (sorry mis-spelling is second nature to me.)

I loved Good Omens...and I have been teased for years about the possiblity of them coming out with a movie...But after watching Harry Potter on the big screan...I think that might actually be a good thing they have not come out with a movie yet.

I have not read Anastasi boys yet...i have a very small library so m ost of the books I want have to be lent from other places...but it is def. on my reading list.

mauvaisroux
01-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info on those books Rotten Apple! :)

Love the baby Cthulhu too! :lol: I have a stuffed one at home :D

purple_monkey_ninja
01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I stopped reading the WoT series a couple of books back. I was really into them. I think the MULTITUDE of story lines, and the lack of character development of a couple of the characters, and having to wait so long between books with so much going on, and forgetting what was what led me to just giving up. I might have to try getting into them again..

Any signs that the series is coming to it's conclusion?

OT:

On the cthulhu thing: the first year my now dh and I were dating, (3 years ago) for Valentine's Day he got me a plush cthulhu. Then about a year and a half ago, my then 5 year old son had a nightmare one night, and he was afraid to go back sleep, so we gave him cthulhu and told him that of course he would protect him from bad dreams, and anyone would have to be foolish to mess with cthulhu! And for the last year and a half, my son has slept with him every night :)

So last year for my birthday, dh got me the cthulhu slippers (oh my, they're warm!), and then for Cephelopodmas (it's like Christmas, with more tentacles), a couple of our really good friends got us the cthulhu handpuppet, which is now our Christmas tree topper :lol3:
Oh, and dh's groom's cake was, of course, a red velvet cthulhu cake :)

mauvaisroux
01-11-2006, 07:42 PM
That's pretty funny! :lol:

We have the cthulhu version of the Christian fish on our car - not sure if too many people get it though :shrug: I've seen a few Darwin ones around too.

Regarding your comment on tthe WOT books - I felt the same way about Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Too long a wait time between books they seemed to not be as interesting as the first one so I gave up on them.

lizziness
01-11-2006, 09:19 PM
mauv - my dad read the dark tower series and he had me read the first book. i just couldn't get that into it. it was a good story, i guess i just don't care for king's writing style.
as for wot hubby loves those, and i've tried a few times to read the first book, can't get past the first couple of chapters. don't know what it is about it. i like fantasy and i don't mind long books.. just seems like those two have a bit toooo much description in common, something that just after a while becomes a peeve for me.
i am loving the book i started reading. it's the first in a series called a song of fire and ice, by george rr martin, the first book is a game of thrones. it is definately a good read so far, i'm about 3/4 through it or so. i love the way he constructs some of his sentences and even though the books are huge he moves the story along. i also enjoy that he does each chapter from the third person perspective of a different character.

ajandpj99
01-12-2006, 11:10 AM
HI all - you guys have given me some great books to add to my Library List. Currently attempting to reread my Narnia Books before I go to the movie (or actually before it comes out on video) AS much as I would love to see Narnia on the big screen - the mixed reviews I have heard make me leary to spend the money or the time since theater is 35 miles away. So for now I will read the book.

I pretty much can read anything that has a decent plot that flows and isnt too complicated. It depends on how distracted I am when I read too. There are some books that unless you are familiar with the writing style of an author that you just cant get the feeling for - yet you know it is a good story because it has been around for ever. Like Pride and Prejudice, I was supposed to read for a book club once and just couldnt deal with the backward talking "Am I not unfat?" Anyway - those kind of books are great on tape - having someone else read it - gives it the proper tone and you finally catch the sarcasm - it turned out to be a great story and very funny.

Another I "read" on tape was an Asian themed story - author was Tan or Pan? Anyway it was about a girl that grew up in a small village in the orient and her family made ink sticks - she ends up coming to America in her 20's gets married and had a daughter of her own - there are two narrators, one that reads from the mothers perspective and one that reads from the american daughters perspective. No one else in the club was able to finish it - but since I got it on tape I enjoyed it alot. It was called the ink makers daughter I think?

So if there is a story that you just cant get through but you really want to know what happens, try it on tape. You may find the more descriptive stories come across better with a narrator.

There is my $1.75 (inflation you know - what can you get for a quarter anymore?):dizzy:

Smilla
01-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Right now I am trying to get through Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I loathe it, so I may just bin it instead of struggling through. It's a HUGE book and it's full of cutesy supposed-to-be-hilarious-fun footnotes. The footnotes compose more than half of the book. I hate the footnotes. I also hate the author's smirky winky-wink writing style.

I want to read:

The Devil of Nanking - Mo Hayder

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman

and A Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin

RottenApple
01-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell ugg I am glad I am not the ony one who hated that book. My husband read it and he just loved it. He wanted to me to read it, I got as far as the intro to the "Man with the Thistledown Hair" I hated everything about this book!

The WOT series I think shows no sign of stopping....LOL. But I am still enjoying it...But I read other things inbetween so I don't feel so bogged down.

Smilla
01-13-2006, 03:20 PM
The WOT series I think shows no sign of stopping....LOL. But I am still enjoying it...But I read other things inbetween so I don't feel so bogged down.

I dutifully read the newest WOT book when it goes on sale (usually for $4.99 at Chapters and right before the paperback comes out). I'm usually lost for awhile until my memories of the past 10,000 pages return. I started reading the series when I was in my early teens, as I age I grow wearier of Jordan's writing and pandering to gender stereotypes. Same thing happened with David Eddings.

jules1216
01-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane is a good book. My 20 year old son who is a Stephen King fan and his friend who reads fantasy books both liked it.

lizziness
01-22-2006, 03:05 AM
I read a great book on Friday called "The Dogs of Babel" it's a quick short read, but a very wonderful book. A little bit depressing, but just very good. One of those books you want to share with other people so you can talk about it together...
Quick synopsis: A man's wife dies and the only witness is their dog. He goes on a journey to try to teach that dog to communicate with him, so he can learn what happened. Over the course he starts to think about his life with his wife. It's kind of like going through this great journey with him, as well as the grieving process. It's just a great read.

mauvaisroux
02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I just finished books 1 and 2 of the His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman. the first book is called Golden Compass and the second is called the Subtle Knife. I'm 1/2 way through the third and final book called the Amber Spyglass.

They are a dark fantasy type story involving two 12 year old children who manage to find ways into alternate Universes and end up being the key players in a war against the Creator. Full of adventure, philosophy, theology, kidnapping, murder, spies and plotting. :)

I'm really glad I bought all three books at the same time - I've been enjoying them so much that I've been racing through them- and I would have been frustrated if I had to search for them separately :lol:

peacock 2
02-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I love his books Mauv!

I also listened to the Radio 4 adaptation (UK BBC radio).

There was an adaptation in the theatre but I missed it.

Shame.

mauvaisroux
02-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Cool! I would have liked to hear the radio adaptation. These are the first books I've read by this author but I'm going to look for some of his other works now. :)

The Dogs of Babel sounds like an interesting concept - I may have to check that out too :yes:

NotTheCheat
02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I love books and this thread caught my eye. I just wanted to thank you for the recommendation of The Color of Magic. I got it on tape (I have 2 hours a day in the car and books on tape are the only thing that keep me sane). It was so much fun.

My current favorite fantasy author has to be Robin Hobb. I haven't gotten a chance to start her newest series, but her three trilogies - Farseer, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man are all great.

Oh - and I loved the Dark Materials series as well. Some of the best fantasy is written under the young adult heading.

VelVeeta
02-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I read something borrowed then something blue by emily giffin. They were great and such easy reads (if you have some time on your hands you could probably finish it in one or two sittings) I enjoyed them though

mauvaisroux
02-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Notthecheat: Glad you enjoyed the Coulour of Magic :D

Well so much for light reading this month - my dad gave me a book by Ekhart Tolle for Christmas called "A New Earth" :) Very interesting read and he makes some valid points. I totally recognized some of my own behaviour/reactions to things and got some insight into why certain people I know do certain things - which in turn might make me react to things differently next time :yes:

peacock 2
03-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Hey Peeps! Wonder if you can help (I have also put this on the UK board).

Some of our book club are dong a run for cancer type thing and decided we should read a book about a cancer sufferer/survivor. The only one I have read is Jill Ireland's one which was a great book (late wife of Charles Bronson).

Does anyone have any recs? It should not be a self help type book as we are a (fairly, - touch wood!) healthy lot. More about the person (not necessarily a 'celebrity'.)

mauvaisroux
03-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Maybe Linda McCartney? Not sure if she had put a book out on her cancer experience or if she just wrote books on being vegetarian and cookbooks.

squeaker
03-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Porbably not quite what you are looking for, but there is a "Chicken Soup" book about Cancer Survivors.

peacock 2
04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Just finishing Making Love by Marius Brill. Not not a self help guide (LOL!)

It is about the area near me (Shepherds Bush in West London). About a woman who steals a book from a library - it has been described as an absurdhilarious spy-cum-action-cum postmodern thriller.

I am really liking it though you have to get used to the fact that every so often the book 'talks' to you and you know that because it speak sin lower case if you see what I mean.

It is lovely the way the author deals with both sexes and how they act in love/lust.

Moo :)
04-10-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm a huge Horror fan and unfortunately I'm running out of books to read - anyone out there got any suggestions?

Goddess Jessica
04-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Hey, shouldn't this be the spring book list?!?

mauvaisroux
04-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Right Jessica! I will start a spring thread today :)

Moo -I'm closing this thread but I have posted a suggestion for you in the Spring book thread.