100 lb. Club - Kitchen Tools

View Full Version : Kitchen Tools

Charbar
12-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Let's get excited about cooking! (does anyone here watch 30 minute meals- love that show!!)

What are some of your trade secrets? :devil:

I'll start with something really simple: Glad press n' seal - I love this stuff!! I will never go back to using regular saran wrap. This stuff sticks to everything. Plastic bowls.. you name it!

I'm in the market for new pots and pans.. mine are 15 years old.. and I should have thrown them out 10 years ago!!

What "tools" do you love?

kykaree
12-30-2005, 10:52 AM
I love my Le Crueset casserole dish. Stove top and oven proof, and so indestructible even DH can use it!!!! I cook soups, stews all sorts of stuff in it.

I can't live without my George Foreman.

I love my blender for soups, I don't do smoothies much anymore but I probably will in summer.

And I should really mention the microwave, I don't like it, but I use it a lot for defrosting, coz I always forget to get my meat out in the morning before I leave for work!

lucky
12-30-2005, 10:54 AM
I love, love love, my Calphalon pots and pans. They were a Christmas present from my mother the first year I was married. But, if they ever have to be replaced (and I doubt they will) I won't hesitate to spend the money on them because they are soooo worth it. I cook A LOT though.

My milkshake maker. My grandparents opened a restraunt back in the late 1950's and when they passed away we got all kinds of comercial grade kitchen tools. The milkshake maker is from very early in their career and works perfectly. Of course, I don't get to make milkshakes very often now that I'm watching what I eat but it still looks cool sitting on my counter!

My knife set. Another present from my parents and something I could never justify spending the money on. But now that I know what a huge difference they make in preparing food I'll never go back to lower grade ones. I've saved a ton of money on chicken breasts because my fillet knife makes it so easy to skin and debone split breasts myself. I can't remember the last time I paid top dollar for boneless, skinless breasts at the store.

My mini food processor. I had a big one that I never used because it was just too much trouble to get out and clean. This one does the job just as well and is a heck of a lot easier to use.

My bread machine. I don't use it often but it is fun when I do.

The one kitchen gadget that I've bought and was horribly disappointed in was my George Foreman grill. I thought it was a butt load of trouble to clean and never got good enough food results to justify bothering with it. I know most people adore theirs so maybe there is just something wrong with me - but I HATED it!

f(x)
12-30-2005, 10:55 AM
I love the Reynold's release foil. It is great for roasting vegetables with almost no pan clean up. My mom is a big fan of 30 Minute Meals. My only problem with the program is that it seems every meal is focused around a big ol' hunk of meat. She has some great side dishes though. Personally I love Alton Brown and Good Eats is a fun show with good information.

SnowboundChick
12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
I too love that press'n'seal. We use it all the time. Pretty much don't use our tupperware anymore.

I love my crockpots and breadmaker! I'm made some pretty good meals in them and now i'm going to start making healthier foods in them.

chick_in_the_hat
12-30-2005, 02:12 PM
The one kitchen gadget that I've bought and was horribly disappointed in was my George Foreman grill. I thought it was a butt load of trouble to clean and never got good enough food results to justify bothering with it. I know most people adore theirs so maybe there is just something wrong with me - but I HATED it!

Mine is Hamilton Beach - the grills come out and can be washed in the dishwasher...don't know how I lived without it...oh wait - yes I do, I used to fry everything! :o

So, yes, jawsmom..there is something wrong with you...;) 'Cause I almost always agree with you. And you usually say what I am thinking but more eloquently. :hug:

roundRN
12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Hmmmm.....
I'm one of those lucky gals that has a husband that loves to cook...so he actually does most of the work in the kitchen....BUT....when I do decide to venture to that area..lol.....I'm a big fan of the crockpot!!!!! I've found a lot of great WW crockpot recipes online. Most of them are soooo quick and easy...it's kind of like the "set it and forget it" thing...I love that!

Yeah...love 30 Minute Meals too...DH and I watch the back to back episodes every night...... we always count how many times Rachel says "yum-o"....lol. She's kind of a goof ball....but fun to watch..lol.

ScarlettDrawl
12-30-2005, 07:06 PM
My George Foreman and my crock pot. I'm a good cook but a lazy one when I can get away with it.

Raelynn
12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
I love my Foreman grill - I've found the easiest way to clean it is to put it on the side of the sink (so any liquid would drip into the sink) and while it's still hot, wash it with hot soapy water. It cleans up instantly, way easier than using that plastic scraper and paper towel.

I love my toaster oven too. For small portions, it's perfect and saves on electricity too.

I also have a mini-food chopper/processor. It kicks some serious butt - it chops everything and saves a ton of time (and tears, no more chopping onions by hand!).

DollyR
12-31-2005, 06:22 AM
I just purchased a Braun whisker, chopper and blender set. I am looking forward to making yogurt smoothies and not having to cry over chopped onions. I am also in love with my rice cooker. I am going to try cooking barley in it next week.

YP1
12-31-2005, 07:09 AM
I've just got a George Foreman grill and I'm planning to give it a first try out later today. Fingers crossed I'll like it!

mousie
12-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Last year hubby bought me 4 Wustof knives. I have a 3" parer, 5" (?) trimmer (I don't remember the real name), a chef's knife and a santoku. I looooooooooooooooooove my knives. I mean, if there were a fire I would save my knives. If I were to consider a life of serial killing, I'd be a slasher. You have NO idea how lovely it is to cook and have chopping/cutting/slicing/paring/skinning/separating be totally, completely effortless until you have knives like this, and once you do you will never ever go back.

My pots and pans (forget the name) are round on the bottom and square on top, and the lids each have little spinner-things so that every lid, for every pot, can be used to drain foods. Pasta, meat, potatoes, whatever. Just hold the lid on and tip over the sink! And they're a snap to clean, too, one swipe and you're done.

I also really love the "Good Cook" brand of utensils. I have very large hands (I wear men's size large weightlifting gloves, and my fingers span more than a full octave on a piano) and they're easy for me to hold on to, and easy to manipulate.

NowOrNever!
12-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Fun thread--I love my Calphalon pro pans (with the nonstick surface and glass lids). I taught a summer school class and used practically ALL the extra money to buy the pans--knowing I will NEVER have to replace them!

One of my other favorite things is my Krupps ice cream maker. It has a "drum" that you freeze in the freezer, then when you want to make something, just plug the whole thing in a give it about 20 minutes. While the ice cream may be a rare treat these days, I also have a good selection of fruit freezes (sorbets, ices, etc.) for low cal treats.

And...my cookbook collection! I think I got that from my Mom who reads cookbooks like "fiction" :)

christineu
12-31-2005, 03:42 PM
For me, my favorite kitchen item has to be my Kitchenaid Mixer- I've had it since I was 18 or 19 (worked in bakeries and did cake decorating)- yikes, I've had it 16 years now. I have a lot of the attachments- love the metal graters for making 'snow cones' (I use to freeze my ScanDiet meal replacement shakes & then run them through the grater so it was like eating ice cream). I also love my non-Foreman grill...I went through a couple of the small Foreman ones (we use them several times a day, every single day). A few years ago, HSN had a panini maker/grill unit on clearance for $20 with grill area a little bigger then a piece of paper, with removeable grills plates (one set is flat & the other has ridges). The coolest thing is that it has a floating hinge with a lock so it can be open a couple inches without resting on the food,- I put just about anything in there and not squash it. Honnestly, I would never go back to a GF brand grill...except maybe the new one with all the different plate- I like the idea of getting rid of my waffle iron. I think you pay a lot for the GF name, and would be better of buying a similar type of grill at WalMart (and if you want it to slant downward, just slide something under the back legs ;)). I also have one of those convertable stick mixers- it has so many different attachments- from imersion blender, two different sized chopper containers, whip, beaters, etc. It is so handy & easy to switch from one to another...couldn't imagine cooking without it.

My two favorite things when it comes to eating healthy have to be a good set of electronic kitchen scales (I also weigh a lot of my ingrediants when I'm baking...old habits from all those years in the bakery during college) and my Food Saver system. Whatever you do, don't get one of the cheap food sealers- I did that years ago and I used it so few times that its not even funny....just a big waste of money, IMHO. With the Food Saver & digital scales, I make sure when I put things in the freezer that they are individual sized servings- I can always take out more if I need to. The Food Saver is also great for resealing cereal, pretzels, & such- it really makes you think about 'just grabbing a few' if you have cut it open & reseal it...plus things don't get stale like they use to.

If you can't tell, I love kitchen gadgets a lot :dizzy: I have been thinning them out some since I started watching Alton Brown on Good Eats (Food Channel). I need to see if my library has his book "Gear for Your Kitchen"- he has some great ideas that sometimes come from the hardware store, or other non-kitchen item. In his opinoin, the only tool in the kitchen that should have only one use is the fire extinguisher- everything else needs to be able to do multiple tasks...and I have to say that most of the gadgetity-gadgets I've bought are pretty much useless.

satylite
12-31-2005, 04:16 PM
Good knives. Kitchen life is so, SO much happier with a set of really good knives.

Oh, and I worship my Kitchen Aid mixer. Seriously, I think I'm unhealthily attached to that thing. I don't think I've ever had an appliance bring me such pleasure.

(Get your minds out of the gutter! ;))

DishyFishy
12-31-2005, 06:10 PM
In no particular order:
Electronic kitchen scales. Mine are donkey's years old, but still work perfectly.
Very sharp high quality knives.
George Foreman grill with removeable plates.*
Ziploc food containers--perfect for splitting things into individual servings.
Cuisinart blender.*
Stainless steel measuring cups and spoons.

*Courtesy of Air Miles Rewards. :D

Goddess Jessica
12-31-2005, 09:07 PM
satylite,
you and I must be cut out of the same cloth. My kitchenaid mixer and a good set of knives. I made this to-die-for dinner rolls for christmas that required kneading. Before the mixer, I wouldn't have even considered making them. I just threw them in a went to chopping something for another dish. You should keep your eye on it though because with kneading dough it will "walk" off the counter.

NotTheCheat
12-31-2005, 09:30 PM
I finally sprang for the heavy duty OXO measuring cups and spoons and they are great. I also love the new Silicone oven mitts – they keep me from burning myself and can be thrown into the dishwasher, so they are mess proof.

Does anyone use recipe software? I know that if I don’t start doing the cooking we won’t eat very healthily, so part of my 2006 goal is to start to build a good cache of recipes that are quick, healthy and tasty. To help with this I have been looking at BigOven, Cook’n, etc. These programs have cookbooks, store recipes, create menus and shopping lists and also can provide nutritional info. My geeky side thinks they might be really helpful, but they might be more trouble than they are worth.

Charbar
12-31-2005, 09:58 PM
I've thought about a kitchenaid.. but man, they are pricey! - so they are worth it, eh? what else do you guys make in besides yummy roles? I love to bake - but I don't need to ;)

I do need a good set of knives - bad!! My mil got me a real cheap set of steak knives for a wedding gift (you know, the kind you order from the coupon flyers) I also have two paring knives that need to be sharpened bad. And that's it!
I would love to treat myself to a good cooking class. Have any of you done that? My mother was not a good cook (but she doesn't know it!!) I could really use some lessons!

I like this thread - need to stay away from fast food and processed food. The salt is nasty!

rabidstoat
01-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Ooh, I love my crockpot! Favorite thing ever. I only make a few things in it, mostly some soups and my shrimp creole, but it's so convenient to let it just simmer.

The one thing I go nuts over that's weird is spatulas. I don't know why. A good spatula is just a thing of beauty. My mom's spatulas drive me nuts, they're too stiff. She laughs because when I come home for Christmas, I bring my own spatula with me to cook eggs with. :)

George Foreman and I have an on again, off again relationship -- the grill, I mean. I have one with no removable plates so it's hard to clean. Maybe I should invest in a new one. My food processor never gets used. Too hard to clean. Blender sometimes, for smoothies and soups. Oh, and my microwave and toaster get the most use in the kitchen.

Oooh, and my gas stove! I moved into a new house and for the first time I have gas appliances. I absolutely hated it for the first month or two, because I wasn't used to using it. Things would get burnt, and I was scared it was going to blow up at any second with the open flames. Now I love it! So quick, great temperature control.

And only tangentially related, my favorite kitchen device isn't in my kitchen, really. My favorite kitchen trick is buying pre-chopped veggies at the grocery store. My family thinks I'm totally lazy, and I am, I admit it. But I absolutely hate chopping veggies! Hate, hate, hate. Drives me nuts. When I sat down one day to figure out why I wasn't cooking meals, that was the number one reason, above even kitchen cleanup. So I decided that I'd invest money I would spend on a gym (because I have my own weights and bike and exercise videos at home) on pre-chopped vegetables, not always but a lot of the time, but ALWAYS for onions! My family still makes fun of me, but I'm actually eating meals that I cook now instead of going to McDonald's daily, so hey. They can laugh. :P

Ivanna B. Skinny
01-01-2006, 10:09 AM
I love my GF grill with the removable grill plates...so easy to clean up. And I LOVE my Pampered Chef Stone cookware. I have the pizza stone and the "bar pan". Everything you bake gets nice and crispy, and you just wipe it off when you're done! I have a bread machine I've used once in 5 years (wedding gift).I wasnt really inpressed with it, and then I lost the booklet, so, oh well.

christineu
01-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Does anyone use recipe software? ...To help with this I have been looking at BigOven, Cook’n, etc.

I looked at a lot of different ones and downloaded several for the free trials a couple months ago. A lot seemed like they had a steep learning curve- maybe it was just me, but I want something I can sit down and pretty much firgure out how to use it in a few minutes. The one I fell completely in love with is AccuChef- it is so easy to import recipes into from just about any format you can imagine and it lets you pick what nutritional info you want listed- including fiber (I coudn't seem to get it come up on some of the other ones I tried). It even calculates 'AccuPoints'...which, of course, are not exactly equal to WW points, but pretty darn close (within 0.1-.2 most of the time). I think it cost $20, but they let you download the full version and have 60 trials, which last a long, long time. I use it as much for calculating nutritional info (especially when I change ingrediants to what I have on hand) as for organizing recipes. I do have to confess that I've spent more time downloading yummy sounding recipes then cooking lately...its gets so addicting and you don't want to 'lose' a good recipe that might come in handy someday.

NotTheCheat
01-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Christine - thanks for the tip. I will definitely try that one out. It looks pretty good.

famograham
01-01-2006, 10:26 PM
HMMM, there's just so many..but I'll choose a few.

My Chef's Knife, brand is Victorinox...I got it from Rudy last Christmas and love it to death..really big, really balanced, really sharp.

My cuisinart Digital scale...very expensive (gift from Mom) and really fabulous...I use it every day (when I'm on plan :lol:)

My great big Starfrit nonstick pan, very heavy, durable finish (I baby it though)

xoxo
Linda

DeafinlySmart
01-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Dishwasher!!

famograham
01-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Ooh, Ooh...forgot to add...I got an instant read digital meat thermometer from hubby for christmas. I used it the first time tonight..awesome!!!
It's so nice not to have to put the thermometer in and wait another ten minutes for the mercury to creep up!! :)

Linda

SuchAPrettyFace
01-01-2006, 10:55 PM
in no particular order:
my 4 for a buck paring knives that I got @ Goodwill. They were cheap, they last forever & I am even thinking of bringing one to work to leave to cut my fruits there.
freezer bags. I love marinating meat while it's frozen.
plastic forks from restaurants like Noodles & Company & Fazoli's. They are awesome for scrambling eggs in a nonstick pan
my Tupperware salad spinner. Makes making spinach salads for the week easy peasy.
my Tupperware steamer. You can use these to steam chicken or shrimps or fish, but I like it best for steaming a bag of frozen vegetables.
my blender. I'm not much for sweets, but when I want a smoothie, BAM! It's done.
Oh, I cannot STANDDDD Rachel Ray. She SO does not deserve 4 shows & a new talk show coming out. :barf: They had a Christmas episode recently where Paula Deen had to slap her hand away from the mixing bowl b/c she was 'baking' but not measuring anything. I enjoy her meal ideas sometimes, but she's so loud & obnoxious & EVOO & grrrrrrrr I just can't take her. Gimme Alton Brown (who I met last year) or Paula Deen or Giada deLaurentiis (with the sound off though b/c Giada overpronounces the Eee-TAL-ian words. That grates on my nerves.) or even Emeril. I loved that he went to a school in Harlem & redid the school kitchen. :)

satylite
01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
in no particular order:[list]
Gimme Alton Brown

I have a huge crush on Alton Brown.

There, I said it.

And also? Jamie Oliver. A cute British boy AND a chef? Throw in some guitar playing and I may have just died and gone to heaven.

Hi. I don't have an clue as to what we were talking about in this thread now. :love:

myholidayboyz
01-02-2006, 01:29 AM
My favorite kitchen items, huh....

*my crockpot
*my kitchen aid stand mixer (I love fresh, home made whipped cream!)
*magic bullet
*my pampered chef stuff (stones, cheese grater, orange peeler, can opener to name a few!)

Br00klyn
01-02-2006, 01:35 AM
Great thread! :)

As for the 30-Minute Meals - LOVE LOVE LOVE Rachael Ray, I just ordered her new cookbook from Amazon. And I've tried several recipes out of her "Get Healthy without going to extremese" book. AWESOME!

My fave appliances would have to be my crockpot and George Foreman grill (mine just died, need to get a new one - that's how much I used it). And I've really been wanting a small chopper so I can make fresh salsa :)

Goddess Jessica
01-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Oh, I cannot STANDDDD Rachel Ray. She SO does not deserve 4 shows & a new talk show coming out. :barf:

Gimme Alton Brown (who I met last year) ...

Giada deLaurentiis (with the sound off ...

I think we had a fight about MY man, Alton last year. He is mine! MINE! :) satylite, don't make me hurt you!

I totally agree with you about RR. Blech. She drives me crazy. So freaking perky all the time and she's so boring. Everything tastes SOOOoo good. She takes a bite and makes that noise. Ugh. Predictable.

I don't like Giada because the show is shot with these super close-ups that remind me so much of porn - which, coincidentally, I watch with the sound off. TMI? :)

rabidstoat
01-02-2006, 09:45 AM
myholidayboyz, I have to ask: what's an orange peeler do exactly? I'm just lazy enough that it sounds appealing. I hate getting orange skin under my fingernails.

Also, for those with George Foreman grills (or similar countertop grills) with removeable plates, how easy are they to clean? Because the old grill I have doesn't have removable plates. I hate to scrub it in place with lots of paper towels while it's warm, and I never feel like I'm truly getting it clean, which is annoying. Is it worth it to pitch my old trusty grill and go for a newfangled one with removable plates? Will it make me want to use it more?

lucky
01-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh, I cannot STANDDDD Rachel Ray. She SO does not deserve 4 shows & a new talk show coming out. They had a Christmas episode recently where Paula Deen had to slap her hand away from the mixing bowl b/c she was 'baking' but not measuring anything. I enjoy her meal ideas sometimes, but she's so loud & obnoxious & EVOO & grrrrrrrr I just can't take her. Gimme Alton Brown (who I met last year) or Paula Deen or Giada deLaurentiis (with the sound off though b/c Giada overpronounces the Eee-TAL-ian words. That grates on my nerves.) or even Emeril. I loved that he went to a school in Harlem & redid the school kitchen

SFP, you took the words right out of my mouth!

suzisonthemovetolose
01-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Ditto on the Foreman grill - even I can cook with it!

myholidayboyz
01-02-2006, 12:43 PM
myholidayboyz, I have to ask: what's an orange peeler do exactly? I'm just lazy enough that it sounds appealing. I hate getting orange skin under my fingernails.

It's a little plastic device that cuts only through the skin. Once you score the skin, you can use the handle to lift up the skin. :) It's awesome!! I think I got it for less than $1.00!

Charbar
01-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Rachel Ray - you either love her or hate her. I tivo her! Sure, she's loud. But she is real. I don't measure - except when I bake!!! She doesn't have the perfect body.
I do think it's funny how she says "a healthy and nutrious meal" then coats the pan with EVOO - she COATS it!!

AND just ONCE I love to see her drop all that stuff she brings from the pantry to the counter top. :rofl: now that would be funny!!

christineu
01-02-2006, 04:03 PM
*magic bullet
*my pampered chef stuff (stones, cheese grater, orange peeler, can opener to name a few!)

How much do you use your Magic Bullet? I keep thinking about getting one then I read some of the reveiws and change my mind, but it still looks intreging to me. I know it can't really replace all my other stuff...but heck, I keep my KitchenAide Blender in the basement, I use it so little (especially since I got a side-by-side fridge that dispenses finely crushed ice).

Thankfully I've never gotten into the pampered chef stuff or I would be in big trouble. I figure with my 'addiction' to kitchen gadgets that I'm better off not even looking at their stuff :D...though I do need to get a pizza stone one of these days...I like Alton Browns idea of setting at the bottom of the oven to help hold the heat/maintain consistant tempurature, plus it would be good for baking my Irish Soda breads & such on.

Penny Loewen
01-02-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.kitchenkitchen.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.100.exe/scstore/p-toddy.html?E+scstore

My toddy cold coffee maker, the above link is what the thing looks like in case you have never heard of one... What you do is steep a pound of coffee over night, (12 hours) and then let it drip out the next morning. It is then concentrated. Pour a bit of the concentrate into a cup and add hot water and you have coffee that isn't bitter, and taste like star bucks, plus cold brew eliminate a lot of the caffeine that ya get from hot brew... Ya store the rest in the fridge, so it lasts about a week for me...

I LOVE MINE and could not do with out it...

barbygirl43
01-02-2006, 06:13 PM
For all you with the GF grill without removeable plates I found the coolest sponge/scrubber at Wallyworld near the grills. It is grooved just perfectly to clean it all out. I'm bringing it with me to work since I got one of the hamilton beach ones with the removeable plates and a timer. I love my new gadget and it was super easy to clean. I hit a couple of buttons and stashed it into my dishwasher ;)

I too love the glad press and seal. Most of my favorite kitchen gadgets I use religiously are:
• kitchen scales
• measure all cup (measure liquids on one side/solids on the other)
• Spatulas
• whisks (work great for mixing my eggs for omelets and I have 3 different sizes)
• I know this one is simple but just about any slotted spoon. If it is filled to the top it is 1/3 a cup and heaping approx. 1/2 cup. really easy to measure out portions without getting out the measuring cup. I still will periodically pour from the spoon into a measuring cup just to be sure.

myholidayboyz
01-02-2006, 10:06 PM
How much do you use your Magic Bullet? I keep thinking about getting one then I read some of the reveiws and change my mind, but it still looks intreging to me. I know it can't really replace all my other stuff...but heck, I keep my KitchenAide Blender in the basement, I use it so little (especially since I got a side-by-side fridge that dispenses finely crushed ice).

We just got it for Christmas. I've only used it 3 or 4 times. It's great for making smoothies with! :)

lucky
01-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the tip, Penny! I had never heard of the Toddy before but it sounds like something my husband and I would really like. After reading a ton of great reviews online I went ahead and ordered one. I can't wait to try it out.

I have a question though. How long do the filters last? I ordered 4 extra to have on hand. Should that last for a while?

christineu
01-02-2006, 11:28 PM
My toddy cold coffee maker... What you do is steep a pound of coffee over night, (12 hours) and then let it drip out the next morning. It is then concentrated. Pour a bit of the concentrate into a cup and add hot water and you have coffee

That looks like something my Mom would like- she's been known to put leftover coffee in the fridge & warm it up instead of leaving it in the coffee pot. I had a coffee press that she's been playing with (I used for tea- I'm am not a coffee drinking even though I've tried). She's found with the press that she ends up putting 1 part 'coffee' with 2-3 parts hot water for a perfect cup. It was so cute- she had me put her automatic coffee pot away today...something I never thought I would live to see the day.

Do you have an electric kettle? It would be great to heat up water to add to your concentrate I bet. THere are pretty common now- I got my last one at WalMart but when I came back from Ireland in 1997 I couldn't find one I liked anywhere. They were either the hotpot type things you take to live in a dorm or some $80-100 fancy name brand. I finally ended up buying one in Canada when I went there on a business trip- my boss thought I was strange, but I was so excited.

Penny Loewen
01-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the tip, Penny! I had never heard of the Toddy before but it sounds like something my husband and I would really like. After reading a ton of great reviews online I went ahead and ordered one. I can't wait to try it out.

I have a question though. How long do the filters last? I ordered 4 extra to have on hand. Should that last for a while?

I've been useing the same one for over a year and its fine, I pop it in the dishwasher before I reuse it each time, so I would think you never need to order any more, (grin)...

You will love the thing, the coffee tastes soooo smooth...

Penny Loewen
01-03-2006, 03:18 AM
That looks like something my Mom would like- she's been known to put leftover coffee in the fridge & warm it up instead of leaving it in the coffee pot. I had a coffee press that she's been playing with (I used for tea- I'm am not a coffee drinking even though I've tried). She's found with the press that she ends up putting 1 part 'coffee' with 2-3 parts hot water for a perfect cup. It was so cute- she had me put her automatic coffee pot away today...something I never thought I would live to see the day.

Do you have an electric kettle? It would be great to heat up water to add to your concentrate I bet. THere are pretty common now- I got my last one at WalMart but when I came back from Ireland in 1997 I couldn't find one I liked anywhere. They were either the hotpot type things you take to live in a dorm or some $80-100 fancy name brand. I finally ended up buying one in Canada when I went there on a business trip- my boss thought I was strange, but I was so excited.

I am lucky enough to have one of those instant hot water dispensers on my kitchen sink, so that is how I heat water...

HEY that is another gadget I can't live with out... And they are NOT expensive, you can get them at home depot and it is instant hot water anytime day or night... It goes on the sink where you would have one of those soap dispensers or sprayers...

My husband bought me a cappuccino machine for Christmas just for the frother... So now I have my cold brewed coffee and I froth my skimmed milk and I am in star bucks heaven... (grin)... I also use star bucks brand coffee beans, Did you know that they use cold brewed coffee too? I saw them making it from concentrate and that is what they told me, that its was cold brewed, that is when I started looking for one for me to use at home...

I have found that when I think I need a treat, a cup of coffee satisfies me...

kykaree
01-03-2006, 04:36 AM
:wave: Hi Penny! I'll have to look into that as well, I love Starbucks, that's become my treat instead of evil things like cakes and cookies!

Yogini
01-03-2006, 07:06 AM
I LOVE my pressure cooker. I can have a healthy and quick meal in less than 30 minutes (in the time it takes to chop veggies, rinse lentils and bring the whole pot to a boil and simmer for a few minutes then let it sit for a few minutes, voila! It's ready!).

I love my Henckel's (the authentic, impoted ones with 2 little men on the logo) and Kyocera (Japanese ceramic) knives so much that when I go to a potluck and need a bread or paring knife to prepare a garnish or slice bread, I bring my own!

My bamboo chopping boards are indispensible to me.

My stainless steel cookware with vented glass lids have been so very useful!

My blender/chopper combo is a must-have, as is my large Cuisinart ood processor.

I find a crock pot to be so helpful when I'll be gone all day and want a warm stew or chili waiting for my family after work and school.

My mini muffin pans are great for quick, portion-controlled muffins, tarts, cornbreads and even tiny cookies.

There are lots more but these are the main things I use regularly.

f(x)
01-03-2006, 07:06 AM
I am so glad there are others that share my impure thought about Alton. My mom is amazed by that because she can't stand him. She like Bobby Flay how reminds me a lot of my ex husband. They are both obnoxious and full of themselves. I have to agree about Gina she has great recipes but they shoot her so close up she looks like she is a big giant head on a stick thin body. I like Paula Dean and wish I could eat her stuff because it all looks so good. That gal love butter the same way I do. I have never made any of her recipes because it is just too much kcals.

Back to kitchen products another great product I forgot to mention are the new Splenda blends. I love the Splenda for baking and really, really love the Splenda brown sugar. They are 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda so they are very sweet and you need very little. They are about 10 kcal per tablespoon. The brown sugar I think is great because it is has a very strong brown sugar taste. I think there is some molasses in it or something. It really is the best faux brown sugar out there. I use it on oatmeal in the mornings. For a sweet snake I have an yellow squash or sweet potato with little butter and some of the brown sugar blend and I am in heaven. It really hits the spot and is filling with lots of vitamins to boot.