General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

Default A few questions from goofy me.

A good friend of mine recommended that I use fit day, and I love it! The thing that baffles me is that I don't think I've been eating that much to begin with. Is it possible that undereating, but eating bad things slowed my metabolism down?

It wasn't unusual for me to not eat for half of the day, but drink tons of soda. I have chosen to replace the soda with better choices, but I'm afraid that I'm not going to get in enough calories. (Yes I obsess over things)

I hopped on the scale this am and I am down 5 pounds from Saturday, but I'm not counting it as an official victory until Saturday rolls around again. I was so happy with the number on the scale that I decided that I didn't need to wait until the new year to start eating better. I've had my breakfast, and a snack (I slept in today), and I'm not anywhere near being hungry. Is my body tricking me?

Any help would be appreciated.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Tons of soda has tons of calories. Yes, you can pack away quite a few calories without thinking that you're eatng very much. I've done it.
There's a couple thins you can do if you want help assessing your food. You can post a food log or you can make a link to your fitday. We'll be more than happy to help you sort this out.
Congratulations btw breakfast is a good place to start. Start thinking of food as body fuel.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #3  

Here's what I've had so far today

1 cup of oatmeal cooked (quick oats not prepared with fat or milk)
2 tsp of splenda
1 tsp of vanilla extract no alcohol
1 6 oz cup of decaf green tea unsweetened

1 pizza roll (and that one pizza roll was good!)
1/2 of a small green apple sliced with skin
1 slice of provolone cheese approx. 1 ounce.

I've had about three glasses of water (8 ounces each)

That's it so far for the day, but I woke up late.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:48 PM   #4  

No soda?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
No soda?

Nope no soda! I'm being a good girl. That and there isn't any in the house.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:53 PM   #6  

Good girl. Now about the pizza roll. What are the statistics on that?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #7  

According to fit day 1 pizza roll has 42 calories, 2 fat grams, 4 carbs, and 2 protein. It was good, and I just ate one!

So far today I have:
309 Calories
9 Fat grams
43 Carbs
13 Protein

Do I need fewer carbs?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #8  

I'm new to the site , and it seems already that this is gonna be a good place for me. (fingers crossed). I really need help finding out how to eat healthy. My family needs your help desperately. I'm afraid that I'm not only contributing to my own morbid obesity, by my husband's, and I need to teach my 6 year old daughter how to eat right before it's too late. She's already pretty chubby. Please help.
booberrycream
booberrycream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by booberrycream
I'm new to the site , and it seems already that this is gonna be a good place for me. (fingers crossed). I really need help finding out how to eat healthy. My family needs your help desperately. I'm afraid that I'm not only contributing to my own morbid obesity, by my husband's, and I need to teach my 6 year old daughter how to eat right before it's too late. She's already pretty chubby. Please help.
booberrycream
I'm not the best person for advice because I'm just starting out on my journey to healthy living.

My advice though would be to write down what you eat each day. Fit day is amazing for that and it's free at their website. You can even start with thinking of one meal that you can replace each day with something healthier. I normally don't eat breakfast, but by eating it today I feel so much better.

I'm sure that there are others here that will be of more help to you, but you aren't alone.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:10 PM   #10  

The fat, protein and carb percentages will come. They're not something you need to worry about to begin with.
I thought a pizza roll was this big greasy thing my kids eat at drive-in food places!
I'm having trouble coming up with something short and to the point that will help both of you. I can be very wordy! The other day I told my daughter to think about two things the next time she went grocery shopping. Protein and things that grow. Does that make sense?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
The fat, protein and carb percentages will come. They're not something you need to worry about to begin with.
I thought a pizza roll was this big greasy thing my kids eat at drive-in food places!
I'm having trouble coming up with something short and to the point that will help both of you. I can be very wordy! The other day I told my daughter to think about two things the next time she went grocery shopping. Protein and things that grow. Does that make sense?
It makes perfext sense to me!

Thanks for responding.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Too Little

Be careful not to eat too little. Your body will go into starvation mode and it is like a camel hump retaining water. Same goes when you don't get enough water. You body keeps as much as possible because you aren't giving it enough. I'm assuming you ate more as the day went on.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #13  

The use of the term starvation mode makes me extremely uncomfortable so I'm posting this link to another discussion of it.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...tarvation+mode
Old 01-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafinlySmart
Be careful not to eat too little. Your body will go into starvation mode and it is like a camel hump retaining water. Same goes when you don't get enough water. You body keeps as much as possible because you aren't giving it enough. I'm assuming you ate more as the day went on.

Yes, I did eat more as the day went on. Thank you for your post, it's a great reminder that dieting doesn't mean starvation, but healthier choices. (for me at least)