PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/135/125

Height: 5'4"

Question a dumb question about pcos/ir....

is it caused by being overweight?

or, does pcos/ir cause weight gain?

or is it caused by something else? genetics?

just wondering.
blue_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #2  

Default Chicken or egg?

Great question. One that I'm not really sure if there's an answer to. I think the doctors are still debating on this one.

Not all overweight women have PCOS or IR.

Not all people with IR or PCOS are overweight. (A good friend had classic PCOS symptoms when she was a tiny 105 lbs!)

Being IR means it's harder to lose weight. But sometimes, symptoms don't flare until after you've gained the weight. (Was that way for me) And losing the weight can help get it back under control.

And genetics? My understanding is that they play a role. I was told that it was likely that my sisters would be IR and/or PCOS, that it tends to run in families.
hardests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #3  

My endo told me that it is NOT hereditary but PCOS happens while we are growing in our mothers womb before we are born. A friend of my hubby is a doctor of genetics & he is working directly with PCOS & trying to find a cure. It is still a mystery, but I was told that it has nothing to do with your weight. Thin women can have PCOS too! So don't feel bad or think you brought this on yourself... PCOS happens while you were in your mothers womb... hope that helps...
Twin Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #4  

Hi there I am new to the group and only recently diagnosed with PCOS. What is IR?

Heart in Hand
Janey
JLY79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #5  
Mythical

S/C/G: 186/172/120

Insulin Resistance. Basically, your pancrease makes enough (or too much) insulin, but your cells can't use it effectively, thus they are "resistant." Hope that helps.
LegendaryZelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #6  

I really do believe this has a big hereditary component. I can trace generations of my family who have had difficulty concieving. An example is my paternal grandmother who had diabetes starting when she was in her 60's or 70's. she only had 2 children and they were 14 years apart. her sister was not able to have any children. Doing a little geneology I have seen lots of similar patterns on both sides of my family. As my motehr said about her side of the family when I told her I had PCOS, either you are unable to have children or you have a dozen. I can also see patterns of the women who did not have children, or very few also getting diabetes, while those who had large families not getting the disease.
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote