Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Question Backpacking?

Hi everyone. I don't know if anyone has the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway .

I am trying to make realistic and specific goals for myself for my weight loss journey. One of the things I really enjoyed as a teenager was backpacking. Even though I struggled up a lot of hills, I liked being out in nature. I have a life long dream of hiking the John Muir Trail -- a 220 mile trail in the CA Sierras from Yosemite Valley to Mt. Whitney. I think I will be fit enough to backpack this summer, and my plan is to try a week-long trip and then prepare for the JMT the following summer.

My question/concern is this: I will probably end up at a 100+ pound weight loss. Since I'm 44 and have been overweight my whole life and in the 280-300 pound range for the past several years, I figure I'm going to have a fair bit of excess skin. I'm wondering if I will be able to backpack without causing severe chafing/irritation or some sort of other problem with the skin around my middle. I can always just wait until I get down to a lower weight and perhaps I may end up doing that. But, I'm thinking one of you ladies on here may know the answer. Thanks for any and all information!
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #2  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I've lost a similar amount of weight to what you're looking forward to.

I'm a little bit younger than you (36) so your mileage may vary, but while I do have some loose skin, it's not enough to cause any kind of chafing problems. In contrast, I had tons of chafing do to my extra bulk at my starting weight.

My advice is to just gradually work up to longer and longer hikes and see how you do A week long backpacking trip sounds glorious to me. What a great motivator and thing to look forward too. Make sure you invest in some good shoes!
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #3  

Loose skin is a weird thing...........I was 262lbs and am now 201 ish (argh! I can't believe it) and I don't have any loose skin yet, I still have a lot of tummy fat.

I tend to think that you will be ok, so long as you take precautions, a good thick singlet (vest, tank top) under your shirt, and make sure you have some vaseline (no idea what you call it in the states, petroleum jelly?) and perhaps use a talcum powder or equivalent before you get all backpacked up in the mornings.

It sounds like a great goal, I'm looking at doing some hiking in the Snowdonia region of Wales, and one of my ultimate goals is to go white water rafting in Tasmania Australia.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
make sure you have some vaseline (no idea what you call it in the states, petroleum jelly?) and perhaps use a talcum powder or equivalent before you get all backpacked up in the mornings.
There's something called Bodyglide (could be a British brand but you'll have something like it) which runners use. People rave about it. Can't remember the advantages over Vaseline but there seem to be several. I expect the runners will know.

Sounds like a great plan!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:32 PM   #5  

Some quick feedback for a fellow backpacker. I have found that lots of powder, synthetic wicking clothing, and a correctly fitting backpack are key to comfort in the woods. Have fun......Amy
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for all the answers! I'm looking forward to getting out in the woods here this summer .
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:09 AM   #7  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Oh, elmay, I love your goal! I will be doing the Half Dome hike in Yosemite the first week in August and am "in training" now (I try to think of my journey more as training/prep for the hike and that means not just weight loss, but the exercise training). anyway, Bodyglide is available at REI--I got some there last summer for some of my hiking trips--the raves are true.

The excess skin situation seems to be very personal as far as skin resiliency--a problem for some...not for others (I just keep my fingers crossed there but almost anything is better than continuing to cart around this weight!).

So....on a personal level, I'm curious about your training. If you want to exchange info, drop me a personal message and maybe we can write. I'm in the Seattle area. I know one of my challenges is just getting trail time at elevation prior to the hike (since summer never starts HERE until mid-July--blech).

Tracy
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote