General Diet Plans and Questions - Body for Life #10

View Full Version : Body for Life #10

susanje
07-04-2001, 06:42 PM
If you are wondering what the heck is body for life, read our webpages to get an idea. If you're thinking of starting or have questions, just ask away!!! We are more than happy to answer. Read Our Introductory Material for a feel for the program, look at our transformations (MrsJim and I have both posted links in our sigs on the BFL threads and other members will soon do the same!) Or just join our happy little family here on 3FC !!!!

Welcome to BFL Thread 10!!!

Geez, when I first posted about BFL on here I never thought we'd get threads going consistently enough to have a Thread 10 at some time! WOWZER!

Thanks everyone for joining us here!!!

Susan
C2W2D1

MrsJim
07-04-2001, 10:37 PM
Wow! It's only been a little over 12 weeks for me (I'll have to check my postings - I started posting on BFL around April 15th if memory serves) and we're already on #10!

I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July!

We just got back from my sister's house and I am so proud of myself - I resisted the garlic bread, deviled eggs and just had a small (1/4 cup or less) portion of baked beans, just to get the taste of them. They BBQ'd steak and chicken - the chicken to me was out of the question since it was all legs and thighs (dark meat) but the steak was fab - very lean - I think it was filet mignon! Mmmm....but still on BFL!! She also made salad with just a little dressing and lots of tomatoes. (I've already decided to have real crispy GARLIC BREAD this Sunday!!! Maybe with some grilled sausage and baked beans...mmm.

And I still have a Myo Lite shake coming tonight! Geez, I love this program!

Take care all!

MichelleP
07-05-2001, 01:58 AM
Hi,

I just finished reading the book a couple of days ago and have actively been reading the boards and checking out the transformation gallery at the lean and strong site. BUT, I am feeling extremely overwhelmed.

I know little of lifting weights and am really concerned that that will be my downfall. I'm pretty sure I can follow the meal plan as long as I stay within the BFL authorized food list and take the shakes but have a question regarding the sixth meal which is after dinner. So does that mean many of you are taking this last meal before bedtime? I figured that 2.5 hours after my dinner meal would take me too 8 or 9pm atleast. I always thought you shouldnt eat anything for a few hours prior to going to bed. See - I am confused!

I joined a gym on Monday as I found I just cannot get exercise in otherwise with my two kids about (they are 2.5yrs and 6 both boys). Thankfully the gym has a daycare on site. I guess I am just worried about the use of free weights and not knowing what to do. Back in 1997, I was seeing a personal trainer and he had be doing free weights and thank goodness he was around as I had no idea what I was doing - especially trying to remember what to do on my days alone at the gym. So my question, I guess is did you just follow the examples in the BFL book? How long did it take to "get the hang of it"?

sorry for the lengthy diatribe but I just have all these questions in my head and am pretty thankful that you gals and guys are around to help us newbies out!

Thanks in advance
Michelle

susanje
07-05-2001, 03:10 AM
Hi Michelle and WELCOME!!!

Feel free to ask anything here!

It is pretty much a myth that you shouldn't eat before bed but it is really a myth on BFL. BFL meals are small and balanced and the last one is necessary for a great workout in the morning.

As far as the exercises, check out the following links:

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

or get a book by Joyce Vedral for beginning body builders.

You might want to do 3 things:

1) Ask the gym staff to get you acquainted with the equipment. Not all of your exercises will be on dumbbells/barbells. Find out what kind of machines they have and how to work them. Ask a trainer to show you how to adjust seat height and move the weight stack.

2) Get a cheap set of dumbbells to practice with at home. This is not for exercising but more for form. For barbell exercises you can use a broomstick. Do it in front of a mirror (preferably full length) using the websites or a book and watch your form. If you take a routine out of a magazine (Oxygen and Muscle and Fitness for Her are very good) pay attention to their DON'Ts section. These are usually the most common mistakes beginners make.
Just watch what you are doing, refer to the book or website and practice FORM FORM FORM

3) BE okay with the fact that you are learning and study each exercise and then try it. You will find you react differently to different ones. Go slow, watch your form and build that confidence!!!

Weight training is simple but the discipline needed to do a routine with proper form takes a while. Don't rush. Proper form is the most important.

Have I mentioned form? :)

Anyway, Ask away! That's what we're here for! WELCOME!!!

Susan

2BFIT1
07-05-2001, 07:32 AM
WELCOME MICHELLE :wave:I was also hesitent to start weight lifting because I didn't know what i was doing and because I had surgery for degenerative discs in my neck last January. I still have the same problem in my very lower back but it is under control for now. Anyway, what I did was to print copies of the exercises in the book and put together a program based on the exercises chosen for each body part. One folder for upper body and one for lower body. I constantly looked at the pictures prior to each set, until it came naturally.

Susan had alot of good suggestions. I would especially stress the one about having a trainer at your gym set you up with a routine , based on BFL, that you can start out with. This way you will feel comfortable with the equipment. Try to have a combo of machines and free weights. Keep notes along with your Progress Report, such as seat height (notch setting) for each machine that you use. This way you don't waste time trying to adjust each one.

Don't be embarrassed if you start out with 10# dumbbells for some exercises. I still work to fatigue using 10# (20# total) for the seated dumbbell press. My left arm is shaking on the last 2 lifts.

Oh yeh, have we mentioned FORM?:lol:
Good luck and have fun!!!:)
~~~Sil

MrsJim
07-05-2001, 08:55 AM
Welcome, Michelle!! :D

Rather than repeat the good advice from Sil and Susan, I just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding eating right before bedtime.

Pretty much all the diets I had been on over the years have had a 'hard and fast' rule against eating two-three hours before bedtime, and that had become ingrained in my psyche...so one of the hardest things for me to accept was that I could - in fact, SHOULD - have my last meal within the hour before sleep.

(In fact, one diet that I was on stated not to eat anything after 6 PM - without explaining how to do that in a normal life where most people aren't off work until 5:00 or so!!!

Now, I'm used to having a Myo Lite just before hitting the sack. Otherwise I'd be STARVING in the morning without enough energy to do my workout!

Oh, and DO check out that planetkc site for the exercises (the BFL site has videos but they've never worked for me for some reason!) Take care...

ShelleyM
07-05-2001, 08:58 AM
Welcome, Michelle!! I eat my last meal in bed right before I go to sleep! If you read over the recent posts at lean and strong, you will see that quite a few of them do, too. I am only in my 3rd week, but I had been lifting weights before. Since you are able to go to the gym (I can't), the people there will be able to guide you well.

Mrs. Jim-I do eat the thigh on the chicken. I know that it is the worst part (other than the wing), but my husband never buys breast meat-and he is the cook and grocery shopper!

Just finished my HIIT jogging. I was able to go the full 20 minutes today. I guess I'm getting better at it.

MichelleP
07-05-2001, 11:21 AM
Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!

Logging on was the first thing I did this morning and I was so excited to see so many amazing responses!

Mrs. Jim: Your right, I will get that diet mentality out of my head and start following the 6 meal a day ideal.

Susan: Thanks so much for the great ideas and sites. I told my husband about the idea of getting a set for home and we will hopefully go tommorrow to check that out. He is starting BFL as well and we are talking about it all the time.

SIL: I will take your advice and copy the pages from the book to atleast start so I can use them when I do my work out! Great idea.

Shelly: What did you mean by HIIT jogging. I have to say I guess I get a bit confused with all the acronyms used with BFL (see there I just did it ;)

This week I am just sucking in the information and I want to be as prepared as possible for Monday July 9th when I officially want to start my 12 weeks. I meet with a trainer at my new gym on Friday and this evening I will plan what I want her to show me!

Thank you gals so MUCH! I probaby will have a few more questions - who am I kidding it will probably be a whole lot of questions! :) I will talk to you later.

Michelle.

blastit
07-05-2001, 11:29 AM
Hi all.

I haven't checked in a while, but I just wanted to let you know that I am still doing BFL and sticking to the program. I had a great UBWO last night and I am actually looking forward to aerboics tonight. I have had a couple of days where only had five meals, so I looked at my days and eating plans and I am trying to adjust it accordinly. I plan to weigh and measure first thing Sunday moring, so I will post my results Monday morning. I can tell difference in my jeans, but I don't really expect to see a big difference in pounds.

I hope everyone has a great week and weekend.

Susan

ShelleyM
07-05-2001, 03:12 PM
Michelle-HIIT is the high intensity interval training that we are to do on cardio days. When I jog, I start off with a slow jog for a minute or 2, then get faster and faster. It really does a number on me, especially since I am used to a steady jog of 4 miles at a slow pace.

:( I am so bummed. I didn't know watermelon was like having pure sugar. I love it, and we don't get it often, but the one that we have is sooo good! On L&S, they say it is like eating red sugar water. Ugh!!

Blastit- What week are you on?? Nothing has gotten looser on me!

This morning when I woke up, my legs were finally sore from yesterday's LBWO. I did stationary lunges instead of the deadlifts. I'm not sure if this is a hamstring exercise, or not. I'm going to check it out on planetkc after I'm done posting this.

SEE YA!

ShelleyM
07-05-2001, 03:27 PM
Went over to Planetkc, and they say lunges are for quads. Bill says for hamstrings. What's up with that??? Who's right???

blastit
07-05-2001, 04:44 PM
ShelleyM - I am in week four. I haven't been able to tell much of a change until this week. I am anxious to weigh and measure on Sunday. I have been staying off the scale which is a big step for me cause I usually weigh myself a couple of times of week when trying to lose weight. I really took to heart what susanje said about not seeing results until late into the challenge.

Susan - blastit

susanje
07-05-2001, 04:47 PM
Just FYI: Actually HIIT is different than the BFL 20 minute interval training. The BFL Bill Phillips designed cardio is called 20 MAS (20 minute aerobic solution). HIIT is actually a much tougher interval training designed by Shawn Phillips in which you have to condition your body to it. It starts at 4 minutes and works up to 20 in about 3 weeks I believe. It's one minute of sprint and one minute of jog back and forth (I believe that is the crux of it, I read it a couple of months ago). It was in one of the Muscle Media magazines in the spring. Most people call the 20 MAS HIIT but there is a difference in the workouts (HIIT being much more intense)

susanje
07-05-2001, 04:56 PM
Shelley,

Don't sweat the watermelon. Natural fructose is not as bad as table sugar. However, use it sparingly if at all. I actually bought watermelon to have yesterday and decided against it. However, if I wanted a slice, I would have had it as my carb. It was the 4th of July and I planned on a slice....however I had to cut my gym routine short so I felt like it would not be good to have watermelon too. I also didn't have a turkey burger. I had a grilled turkey pattie over grilled potato and broccoli. I was feeling so guilty about the halfass workout (gym was a madhouse and I just left).

I redid my workout today and it was good. I did garden and houseclean all day yesterday (I was in the garden at 7 a.m. and I finished housecleaning around 10 p.m). I only took a break for my aborted gym mission and dinner (a couple of hours) so I was active all day.

Today I went to the gym...hit UBWO HARD...and took the kid shopping for camp clothes and essentials (sleeping bag etc). I hit the tanning salon on the way back and now I'm resting for a bit before I start to pack her for camp and prepare her room for company. (she leaves and company comes...aiyiyi)

My oldest son is 25 and all of my kids went to overnight. I had years of camp preparation. Now the youngest (of 4--will be 8 in August) is doing her first overnight camp. How many more years will I be doing THIS camp thing????????????????????????????? Sheesh.

:lol:

Susan--GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!!! I was wondering where you were!!!

Michelle: if you guys belong to a gym you don't need too much at home, but it helps.

:)

Have a good one everyone!
Susan

MichelleP
07-05-2001, 05:32 PM
Hello!

Okay where do I start.

Eating

Bill Phillips talks about prot/carb/veg for atleast two of your meals so and briefly touches on the fats issue of having atleast salmon once a week so that there is some fat in your diet. My question I guess is do you exclude salad dressings when you have salad for eg?

What are some eg. of what you have at breakfast?

Exercise

I am not able to exercise first thing after getting up as my gym doesnt open until 6am and I have to be at work by 6:30am so I go in the evening and on my days off I go after breakfast. Is this okay? I mean I know exercising is okay but will it be to my detriment not doing cardio or weights first thing for eg.?

Supplements

When you first started BFL did you just start with the Myoplex shakes. I have read so much online at the Lean & Strong site and the bodychangers site and people seem to be taking tons of different things. I am currently taking supplements such as a multivitamin, calcium/magnesium, garlic/acidopholis, primose oil (wicked pms - and I'm only 31 go figure!). I plan on getting some myoplex and will definatly start the shakes.

Lastly, when you started BFL did you actually sign up for the 12 week challenge or just do one on your own? I know there are a few days left to sign up for the next challenge but I am wondering if I should just do it as is?

Thanks so much and I will talk to you later.

Mrs. Jim: I forgot to thank you for actually directing me to BFL. I have been a member of these boards for a couple of years now and actually drifted away for the last 1.5 years. I returned (and thankfully remembered my userid) and went directly to the SUCCESS threads and read yours which lead me to the lean and strong site, transformation gallery and then back to here! So thank you!

Michelle

MrsJim
07-05-2001, 05:49 PM
Shelly --

I just posted your query on L&S' message board - already received some replies...you may want to go check!

Susanje - do you still buy those name-tapes for sewing into clothes?? I remember helping Mom with that before going to camp!! I have great memories of sleep over camp, especially riding camp and (strangely enough) the weight-loss camp I attended when I was 17. Fun!

susanje
07-05-2001, 06:59 PM
MrsJim: SHARPIES!!! I couldn't sew a button on a shirt, let alone labels and things. :lol: Without sharpies, I would die.
:o

Michelle: You shouldn't eat before cardio so if you can, try to schedule cardio for days you can go right to the gym. I was on BFL a few weeks before I got my scheduling right (actually I was in the second half of the challenge). If you can manage to do cardio first thing (do 20 MAS or HIIT outside?), that would be great. I do weights any time as I cannot do weight training on an empty stomach. I eat light about an hour before (cottage cheese and fruit or myoplex...nothing with meat in it).

For first meal I usually have a myoplex vanilla lite with a half cup of coffee and some cinnamon. I also do oatmeal, protein powder, splenda, butter buds and cinnamon or wheat toast and egg beaters. I also do an oatmeal thingy where I cook up steel cut oats, add soy protein powder, egg beaters, cinnamon and splenda and bake it all together. Due to a recent post on L&S I am going to add ff/sf vanilla pudding to this (I think this is what it's been missing!!!) I cook this in a glass baking dish and the refrigerate so I can grab it and go each morning. I've tried adding blueberries but then you need more protein! Sometimes if I'm low on protein I'll add one or two turkey sausage links to my meal. Other people do cottage cheese and fruit. I tend to fall back on my myoplex. I'm the MRP queen. :lol:

Re: lunges. One answer: LEG PRESS!!! :lol: Only kidding, but I have such bad hip stability I can do it all on the leg press. I agree that lunges and squats are probably more effective but not if you cannot get the form down and the damn bar is swaying all over the place. With dumbbells I fall over when I do a lunge. :^: I find that with presses if I put my feet high on the plate, low on the plate, feet narrow, feet wide, toes pointing in, toes pointing out, I can work every part of my quads, hams, glutes and even my calves (suggested by Chuck which is why I've dubbed this chuck bootcamp). I'm a leg pressin' fool. :D I do the hack squat machine after the leg press and then I stumble around for a while. I love leg curls too for the hams and extensions for the quads. I wish I could get more free weights into my routine but for now I'll take this. I do free weights as my second set a lot of time (deadlifts and lunges) but my primary is usually on the machine. I know the big boys advocate squats as the number one LBWO exercise but hey, I'm not a big boy. :lol:

Susan

MrsJim
07-05-2001, 07:01 PM
First off, no need to thank me - but I'm glad you're aboard!

I'm going to try and answer some of your ?'s. If I know Susanje, she'll pop in as well!

Eating - since I don't really eat salads that often (I have to have bread with a salad - so I just eat veggies like carrots and mushrooms) I think it would be safe to say that you could use pretty much any fat-free/low-cal dressing. Some people who use flaxseed or EFA oils make salad dressing with them (I just take the capsules myself).

For breakfast - I have a Myo Lite an hour after my workout, then two - three hours later I'll have cottage cheese and fruit as Meal #2.

BTW, I usually eat the same thing every day during the work week. I'm a creature of habit I guess!

Exercise - Ideally, the best time to work out is in the morning on an empty stomach (Check the Hussman site for some more tips on that) but I suppose as long as you're getting it DONE...

Supplements - I wouldn't count Myoplex as a supplement - it's a meal replacement. You really don't NEED to take supplements on BFL. In fact, Pam B (see the L&S Transformation gallery) didn't even take supplements at first. I'm taking a multivitamin, Glutamine (Labrada brand), and creatine (via Betagen - then I'm going to plain old creatine). No theromogetic 'fat burners' for me - I don't even think they work...

Lastly the Challenge - no, you don't have to formally join the BFL challenge (I did just for extra motivation). Whether you do or not, I STRONGLY recommend taking some before pix of front and back (and maybe side) a day or two before starting your personal Challenge. Sometimes it takes pictures to see the progress you've made!!! (PS - I meant to truly appreciate your strides, NOT because the progress will be minimal - maybe at first - just check my 8 week progress pix out on L&S and you can see I really didn't seem to be making much progress by Week 4. However, in Week 8 I really showed significant improvements - can't wait to take next week's Week 12 pix!!!)

PS - BTW, did you guys read that in Pam B's latest pix, she weighs 155 pounds and is a size 4 at 7% BF??? Now - time to toss those scales!!

susanje
07-05-2001, 10:49 PM
This is true. I weighed 140 at the height of my best-shape-of-my-life era. Lifting of course but not body building competition lifting...I was "fooling around" by today's standards and my diet was just low fat...nothing elaborate. I was a size 6 and I think I went below that at one point. According to every chart, 140 is still very overweight for my size. Not when it's all muscle!! Now that I'm more than 10 years older than that I can't believe I have to work twice as hard to make the progress I made then by half-assing it. :lol:

Oh salad dressings: yes, I use a no fat ceasar that I just love. I do salad and chicken breast. I save containers (like the size that a large ricotta cheese comes in) and throw it in there and shake it up (when I'm on the road) and it is fabulous.

Supplements: I just do a multivitamin, calcium and glutamine. I was doing creatine but I found it made me gassy. I don't like that a bit! :mad:

Challenge: I am officially entered (I need to check this because I haven't developed my pix and need to know if there is a deadline) but I agree with mrsjim....PIX are important!!!!!!!!!!

At the rate we're posting, we'll need a new thread every day!!!

:lol:
Susan

ShelleyM
07-06-2001, 08:59 AM
Michelle- I have not officially joined the challenge. Too much work for me to send in the essay stuff! I just took some pictures, though for my own records. By the way, I eat 5 hard boiled egg whites and a cup of oatmeal everyday for breakfast. I eat about the same things everyday, maybe just adding a Myoplex replacement sometimes. Yesterday, I was not able to even get a Myoplex in. I had gone over to my parent's house for my girls to go swimming, and had to have a FF cheese sandwich instead. Also, I will probably have to change my workout schedule when I go back to work. I am out until July 24, and I have to be at work at 6:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I might have to do cardio in the afternoons when I get home. I usually get up at 4:AM to do the weights, anyway!

Susanje- Thanks for the info on HIIT. I had no idea, even though I did print out the thing from Shawn Phillips awhile back.

Mrs. J- Thanks for posting the question at L&S. I'll go look it up. I've been reading the message board everyday over there. I don't want to look too much like an idiot when I post the questions there! I think I will ask them about stretching, though. I haven't seen where Bill suggests it at all, and to me it is a very important part of a workout.Pam. B weighs 155??? Unbelievable!!

Blastit- It's encouraging to know that you haven't shown a change up until now!! Let me know what happens when you weigh and measure!

blastit
07-06-2001, 09:16 AM
Sounds like everyone has a plan and is sticking to it.

I have almost the samething everyday too. Egg whites, ff cheese, ff ham, Whey Protein Shake, Chicken with a carb, protein shake, lean beef with carb, cottage cheese and fruit. The free day really helps stay on the program.

I go home from work on empty stomach and do my aerobics, then wait and hour to eat. The days I do weight training, I eat wait an hour then do my weight training. This has worked out good so far. I am going to change my weight training routine next week just to change things around. I think after I use up all my Whey Protein I am going to buy some Myoplex. I have tried several meal replacement bars and everyone I have tried have been awful. I haven't been able to eat more than a couple of bites. I have been taking a multiple vitamin, but thinking about adding creatin and Glutamine.

I did see Pam B's new pictures on L&S WOW! She looks awesome, she is a true testimonial for this program. I think she used some Phen-Free along the way according to one of her post. She looks great!

Susan-blastit

MrsJim
07-06-2001, 09:30 AM
So far my favorite is the Pure Protein bar - noticed they come in different sizes - Trader Joe's sells the smaller ones.

For me, the MRB's are a necessity for Meal #4 and also when I'm at the ranch as there is no electricity up there...

I thought about using Phen-Free but since it has St. John's Wort I don't want to risk getting pregnant - that herb can reduce the effectiveness of some birth control pills...

Gotta hit the shower! Later you guys!!

ShelleyM
07-06-2001, 09:35 AM
Mrs. Jim-Just read the posts at L&S. 26 responses! Wow!! I think my question was answered! It works both!

MichelleP
07-06-2001, 06:49 PM
Well had my first session at the gym with the trainer and she showed me the machines. I had told her that I am really interested in the free wts and BFL and she made another appt. for next friday to go over them. I have been studying the book and my hubby and I went out and bought some low wt. dumbells to practice form with. I just found after (after being with him for 10 years now ?!?) that he was really into body building in his late teens/early twenties, so I have a wealth of knowledge right in my own home! :) I did the cardio training and am bushed. But am really feeling great!

We also went to GNC and bought some MYOPLEX and were really surprised at how much it costs!! I am a little set back at this but am trying to ignore those negative feelings that creep up. I purchased the lite ones and tried one and found it very sweet and very syrupy. Have you found this as well? Do you use one whole pkg for every meal replacement? I am thinking of cutting it in half as it seems to be too sweet for me. Please give me your opinions.

Well, gotta run as the kids want to go out in the fresh air!

Talk to you soon.
Michelle

MrsJim
07-06-2001, 07:21 PM
Hi Michelle -

First off, don't buy your Myoplex at GNC - that is the most expensive place to get it! Try www.vitaglo.com (FREE SHIPPING!) or www.netrition.com for the best prices.

You thought that the Myoplex was 'too syrupy and sweet'...hmm. Did you make it in a blender? I use 12 oz. water, a cup of cracked ice and 1 envelope of Myo Lite. I have not actually tried the regular Myoplex - I've only bought the Lite. OH - did you get the Ready To Drink?? I really wouldn't recommend it, taste-wise. I tried one once - and it was pretty awful. I LOVE Myo Lite - I bought a bunch of the 42-serving "Neopolitan Variety Packs". Paid $1.16 or so per serving. If you want to lose bodyfat, I'd go with the Myo Lite.

If you cut the Myo Lite in half, you won't be getting enough calories/protein/carbs. One envelope has 180 calories - 90 isn't going to be enough to keep you going!

Susanje's favorite flavors are (I believe) Orange Jubilee and (maybe) Capuchino Ice - I haven't tried either one of those yet. I have only tried choc/van/strawberry and love them all!

Susan also makes the Myoplex Pudding - by cutting the water down a bit and adding a couple of spoonfuls of fatfree/sugarfree instant pudding mix. (Me, I keep forgetting to pick it up at the store!)

And you don't NEED to use Myoplex - if you want to use another MRP, just make sure the protein/carbs/calories are similar. I know from reading the Lean & Strong board that many people are partial to Designer Protein, which is sold at Trader Joes, or Met-Rx, which you can get at Safeway and Trader Joe's. I believe that if you're using Designer Protein you have to have a carb with it (such as a piece of fruit) to equal one of your six meals.

Whew! Back to work...

susanje
07-06-2001, 07:28 PM
Myoplex...lemme tell you about Myoplex :)

If you buy the regular (yes MrsJim Orange Jubilee is my favorite!) you can cut it in half and add a carb. It's 42 grams of protein and 21 of carb so you cut it in half and you save money that way.
If you buy the lite Don't Cut It In Half, but there are many things you can do with it.

Buy it on the Web!!! I rarely buy at GNC but I had to buy Met Rx at Safeway the other day because I was out of vanilla and cannot live without vanilla. My order from netrition had not yet arrived.

MrsJim
07-06-2001, 07:34 PM
...to me it's just there 'in case of emergency'.

Even on that 'Gold Card' day (first Tuesday of the month...why they pick a day that coincides with the rent payment, I'll never know) you still pay significantly more than you would anywhere else.

In fact, the only reason I go in there at all is to chat with the hilarious wiseguy who works at the one in my local mall. Even HE said GNC's prices are way too high (as well as telling a female customer buying a 'miracle diet pill' that she was wasting her money because the product didn't work - of course she bought the product anyway... :rolleyes: )

2BFIT1
07-06-2001, 09:08 PM
and I was amazed at how wonderfully they packed it. I was worried about ordering the Myo lo-carb bars because it it so hot here, i was afraid they would melt. But they wrapped it in an insullating wrapper with a chemical ice-pack inside! Also got some Labrada glutamine, La Tortilla's and a free T-shirt:cool:

Had a killer LBWO today then worked in the yard mowing, pulling weeds, spreading mulch around plants, etc. School started yesterday: so between school, work,gym and the garden I'll keep busy this Summer. I love it!!!
I did sign up for the challenge just to be able to say (to myself) that I did it. Got the official form in the mail today~finally.

Looks like everybody is doing great. Gotta go check out L&S. See ya:wave:
~~~Sil

MrsJim
07-06-2001, 10:36 PM
Going back and forth between 3FC and L&S???

I thought I was the only one!!! :) Lots of great people and info...wish 3FC had a 'transformation gallery' too!

I would say to those of you out there lurking on this thread - if you haven't done so already - do check out www.leanandstrong.com, if only to check the Transformation Gallery and the Playspace pix! The new series of Pam B is just mindblowing!! What an inspiration she is!!!

Another nice thing about L&S is the fact that it seems to be about evened up as far as male-female ratio of board 'regulars'. 3FC is more female-oriented, because after all most people on diets are women - makes sense. L&S also moves at a much faster pace than the nice leisurely pace we have here at 3FC. The best of both worlds!

I've got to say, I don't remember ever being on a 'diet' that was this easy to do for such a long period of time. Right now, knowing that I have the FREE WEEK - where I can splurge once in awhile - and a week off to boot, is helping me stay on my 'clean' foods that I've come to really enjoy and look forward to!

I was a vegetarian for 8 years - mostly to try and keep my Optifast weight loss off - worked at first but I was eventually eating WAY too much bread (mostly). Just before starting BFL, I decided to eat chicken and meat again. And I have to admit, I really have a lot more energy - because I'm getting in more protein than I have for a LONG time. If you check my Fitday journal back to, say, January/February, you'll notice that I was eating a LOT of carbs!

Also, just had to add this - this month is the first time in years that I haven't had a migraine headache on Day 1 of my TOM! I feel great in fact - partly due to switching BCP, and partly because of BFL (my opinion of course).

Since this is the end of Week 11 ( :D ) and I will be ending on Thursday - I am so excited that I was able to stick with it for 12 weeks - but it was easy for me to stick to, since I was actually spending a LOT less time in the gym! In fact, on weight days I usually don't show up until around 5 a.m. - on cardio days, well, I admit I like to watch Early Today at 4:30 a.m. so I get there around 4:30 or so, but I'm out of there by 5:30 (after 20 minutes of heavy cardio, 5 minutes of cool-down, 3 minutes of stretching and 15 minutes of Ab Boot Camp) Before I was in there for two hours or more!

Being able to get on the EAS Training Zone and have my exercises planned helped this time as well, but for C2 I am definitely going to get creative and try some of that new stuff, as well as lift more weight and get stronger!

Well, I see I'm rambling so I'll close this novel!!!

MrsJim
07-06-2001, 10:42 PM
I just won a set of electronic fat calipers from Mohawk Man!!

Wow! I didn't think I had a chance. Those bodyfat calipers were top-rated in Muscle Media's last issue!

When I get 'em, I'll let you all know how well they work. I believe they retail for about $40. I have just been using the traditional plastic Accu-Measure which is supposed to be pretty accurate and is easy to use, but I did want to give those newfangled ones a try!

MichelleP
07-06-2001, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the great ideas regarding Myoplex. I guess I should have clarified that I live in Vancouver, Canada and at the GNC they charge 73.99 per box which contains 20 pouches - :eek:
I bought some to try out but was trying to figure how I was going to keep this going for the next 12 weeks and onwards. I will look into the online ordering and see with the exchange rate and delivery how much it will be.

Mrs. Jim: Congrats on the fat calipers. I had my body fat checked today at the gym and they were saying it was 36%. But I have to admit I think that is too low. Last year, I was weighed on a scale that measures bf and it came out at 46%. So this afternoon I went to fitness depot and they had these scales there ($289.00 a pop - yikes) but got to try it and weighed out at 46%bf. They were saying that the accuracy rate is within 2%. I will be contacting the local university to see if I can have it done the water immersed method way. I guess I should mention that I am currently 236lbs (5'8") so that's why I am thinking i am leaning towards the 46%. They also said that the calipers are the least effective method. How did all of you measure your bf?

Well, gotta go.
Michelle.

MrsJim
07-07-2001, 12:28 AM
I own one of those body fat scales and I hate it! While it is accurate as far as scale weight, it's WAY off on bodyfat.

That body fat scale is universally detested by L&S as well. Consumer Reports also gave it a failing grade...

The only thing I trust is calipers - they are the 'gold standard' next to hydrostatic weighing (as well as much more convenient). I'm excited about getting the electronic ones - but you can get a perfectly serviceable FREE set of plastic calipers from Netrition if you order (I think) over $100 worth of items in one shipment. I ordered a bunch of Myo Lite from them, then ordered another bunch from Vitaglo. Netrition was a tad more expensive but their service was a bit faster...

Anyway check out the new issue of Muscle Media and they did a GLOWING review on this electronic babies, so I'm looking forward to testing them out - and like I said, I'll report back to you guys!

2BFIT1
07-07-2001, 06:54 AM
I saw that you tied for the calipers and he happened to have 2 of them. What luck! I would love to know how they compare (in numbers) to the other one that you have.

You won't believe this, but yesterday I was going to say that I didn't have my monthly migraine and TOM hit me by surprise! I think that all the exercise has something to do with it. I have always read that exercise can help migraines but who wants to exercise when your head is pounding,you're nauseated, and your eyeball feels like it wants to explode(I always get it behind one eye). But whatever the reason, I am very grateful.

I have today off from work (but i do have to work tomorrow). This will be the first Saturday that I don't have to get up at 3:30AM to do cardio. Hope the gym isn't too busy.

Ya'll have a wonderful weekend:cool:
~~~Sil

ShelleyM
07-07-2001, 09:47 AM
Mrs. J- I agree--I wish there was a way to go back and forth easily from here to L&S! Congratulations on winning the calipers.

Michelle- I get my Myoplex from Vitamin World. They also have a website, but I'm not sure if they compare in price to the ones that everyone has mentioned here. If you bought vanilla cream, try it with about 2 cups of ice and some frozen blueberries. Delicious!!

Went to an outlet mall all day yesterday, and didn't have my 2nd meal until 4:30! I gulped down a piece of turkey and ff cheese. I never did get all my meals in. Couldn't eat anything there because they were sooo expensive! Had to buy a bottle of water for $1.85 at GNC. Ridiculous!! I couldn't face any MRP's. I haven't found any that I can take more than 1 bite of. I wish we could have Lunas!

Mrs.J- Why is it that we can have lean meat, but can't have chicken thighs? I would think the fat content would be about the same. I have been having this a couple of times a week for dinner, and didn't realize that we are only allowed breast meat. I know breast meat has virtually no fat, but I really want to be able to make this a way of life, and I don't know if I can handle only the breast.

Sil- I'm gonna checkout your meals on fitday. I don't have the time to log food in over there. It takes so long to do!

2BFIT1
07-07-2001, 03:58 PM
Shelly~~~It's very easy to go back and forth between 3FC's and L&S if you bookmark the sites to your "favorites" and just click on it when you want to switch over. Also, as far as fitday: if you eat alot of the same food items, once you enter it once then all you have to do is click on it the next time because it stores your choices under "customized" or "recently entered". You can change the amount eaten if needed. It's very easy :D
Good luck~~~Sil

MrsJim
07-07-2001, 05:24 PM
All you do is open up two internet 'windows' and have one here at 3FC, one at L&S - then just shift/tab to go between one and the other...

Shelley- easy answer on the chicken thigh vs. breast question...Dark meat has more calories and fat than white meat.

Example from Fitday:

1 oz boneless skinless chicken breast contains 45 calories, less than 1 gram of fat, and 8.61 grams of protein;

while 1 oz boneless skinless chicken THIGH contains 58 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 7.02 grams of protein.

I also do the same thing with Fitday as Sil does - All my meals are customized so it's a snap entering my food (unless I eat something unusual)!

Gotta hit the shower and I'm WAY behind on my eating - was with the horses all morning and most of the early afternoon...

2BFIT1
07-07-2001, 05:37 PM
A question for anybody ~~LaBrada glutamine says that there is 5gms per scoop. But the jar did not come with a scoop.So, is a scoop a tablespoon? a teaspoon?

MrsJim
07-07-2001, 06:19 PM
I didn't find the scoop for my Betagen until about 1/2 way through it!

I just looked at mine (it's a little blue scoop with a long handle) and it looks to be about 1 1/2 teaspoons. So...until you unbury that embedded scoop - use a measuring spoon!:D

2BFIT1
07-07-2001, 07:05 PM
way down at the bottom. having some now with my Diet Splash.

ShelleyM
07-08-2001, 09:49 AM
Today is day 21. Free day. I weighed and measured. Shouldn't have. Weight back up to where I started, and no inches lost from last week. Very discouraging! I'm almost afraid to take the free day. I jogged 4 miles this morning, then biked to see how far I'd gone. It was nice to do a regular pace!

susanje
07-08-2001, 11:01 AM
Take the free day and stop weighing and measuring.

ShelleyM
07-08-2001, 02:33 PM
Sil or Mrs. J-What does NFS mean on the foods on Fitday? I thought it meant nonfat, but not so!

MrsJim
07-08-2001, 07:42 PM
The closest that I can figure it's some unit of measurement. I looked up Cheddar cheese and the measurements were 1 cup, NFS (378.48 calories); 1 cup, diced (468.92 calories) 1 cup, melted (817.26); 1 cup, shredded (378.48 - same as NFS!), etc.

Of course depending on how you prepare cheese, more or less will fill a cup. Since melted cheese is basically pure fat and there is no extra space or air in the cup, it has denser calories. A cup of shredded cheese has a lot more air between the shreds and takes up more space.

So I still don't know what the letters stand for - but I've taken it to mean a default measurement. That's ONLY my opinion though!

MichelleP
07-09-2001, 02:02 AM
Well, I have spent the whole weekend organizing and planning for my husband's and my official start of challenge 1 tommorrow. It does take a whole heap of planning. I just finished my meal plan for the next 6 days for the whole family and typed up our measurements, goals for 12 weeks and finished my workout plan. It is 11pm and I am ready for bed now!

I took my BF% as I got an accu measure caliper and my measurement was 42mm. This of course if off the chart :o
I sent the company an email to ask what this translates too but I thought I'd ask you gals as well. Any ideas?

Well gotta hit the hay. Night all.

Michelle.

2BFIT1
07-09-2001, 07:28 AM
Michelle~~~I went to the www.hussman.com/caliper.htm and entered your suprailiac of 42mm based on your age of 32(?) and it said you are 38.2%, give or take alittle.You can use this site as an easy way to calculate your body fat: just plug in the info that it asks and it does all the figuring for you.

You are right about BFL taking alot of planning, but anything worth doing right does take some planning. As you go along, you will continue to plan ahead but it won't take that much time at all.
On my free day I put the copies of my progress reports together for the week (ie. UBWO-LBWO-UBWO ). I don't make copies of the cardio sheet (too much paper to use up ) but I include that at the bottom of my workout page. Now that I've been using the elliptical for cardio, I include the incline and resistance levels so that I can strive to improve each week. And I love using the fitday site. To me, all of this planning is wonderful reinforcement . So, good luck Michell and have FUN with it:wink:

This is middle of week 8 and I'm starting to notice changes in my body. My weight has stayed constant (122-123) but my arms are really getting toned. My DH said that when I move around normally that you can see the definition in my biceps and triceps. :cool:When I run my hand down my other arm, I can feel the new difference in the tone/leanness. I can't wait until this moves its way down to my butt. Of course i know that will take time, since it didn't get that size overnight. :blush:

I can't wait until tomorrow~I'm really looking forward to doing my squats and lunges with the smith machine!!! OMG, I think I'm becoming a gym rat! :spin:

Ya'll have a great day~~~Sil

2BFIT1
07-09-2001, 07:37 AM
I've noticed that you don't eat very many vegetables or salads. You sometimes have one serving of veggies at lunch but you don't include any others with dinner. Do you have anything with your chicken breast at dinner such as pasta,potato,veggies or salad? If not, WHY? And if you do, why don't you include them in your daily log? Just curious~Sil

ShelleyM
07-09-2001, 08:41 AM
Sil-Re:Fitday- I have noticed that sometimes your calories for the day are under 1000. I was under the impression that we are supposed to have about 1500 per day. This may be why nothing has shown up for me. I am your same height and about the same age (48). How did you figure your calorie count?

Michelle-Good luck today!! We are all here to help!

MrsJim
07-09-2001, 09:13 AM
Sil - I try to eat two servings of veggies each day (minimum). Not always easy...but here's how I do it:

Lunch - most of the time at work, I'll have the same thing for lunch - a grilled chicken rice bowl from a Japanese fast-food restaurant called Mydashi. They know exactly how I like mine made: brown rice; very light sauce; extra veggies (they put pickled cukes and cabbage on it - for me, they PILE it on - yum!)

Mondays and Tuesdays I usually make "Joes Special" for dinner (make it on Monday - eat it two nights). The recipe includes spinach, but I also toss in an 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms (I don't have time to slice 'em so I pay extra for presliced!). Onions are good in that as well - add flavor.

My regular meals #2, #3 and Joe's Special I customized on FitDay so I wouldn't have to keep entering each separate ingredient over and over again. That is so cool!

The nights I have chicken breast - I usually have it with brown rice. For veggie, I will saute some sliced mushrooms (yes, I love 'em!) with some Pam and a little water, or grab a couple of carrots. I don't always include the carrots on FitDay (guess I should though). I always keep a lot of carrots in the fridge for the horses - not those baby carrots though - I really prefer the regular sized carrots for flavor.

I don't eat a lot of salad because I absolutely HAVE to have croutons and other stuff, along with some sourdough bread which I tend to go overboard on big time! In fact for Free Day yesterday, rather than go out to eat (we did for breakfast as usual though) I BBQ'd a London Broil and baked potatoes, sliced mushrooms (OK, I know I'm a big mushroom fan!), and made a loaf of garlic bread. Last night before I went to bed I tossed the leftover bread in the disposal (much to Jim's chagrin - but he understood why though).

The smith machine rules! :D I did my squats & lunges on the Smith. Much better than doing dumbbell lunges IMHO. I could really feel it working!

This Thursday is the last day of my Challenge - then it's off to Yosemite. Jim wants to take my 12-week pix there in the Valley...I want to take them before we leave on Thursday - we'll see!

blastit
07-09-2001, 10:04 AM
Sunday morning I weighed and measured, drum roll please,
I am down 6 lbs and 5 and half inches overall. I can't remember each inch but the ones that made the biggest difference was an inch in my waist, 1 1/2 off my hips, I forgot to bring my list to work, but I lost in my arm, thigh, and calf too. Needless to say I am one happy BFL'r. This is the beginning of week 5 for me, I will not weigh and measure again until after week 8.

Susan - blastit

2BFIT1
07-09-2001, 03:26 PM
Congratulations Blastit~you are making wonderful progress!!! :D

MrsJ~~~Thanks for the clarification on your veggies. Just looking out for you;) I think you should take some pics at home AND in Yosemite. You should be so proud of what you have accomplished!

Shelly~~~Based upon my BMR (basal metabolic rate) which you can determine over at www.hussman.com I should be eating bet 1240-1420 cals a day. This is if I want to lose fat and build muscle/tone. I don't intentionally eat 975 cals, that was the day that I helped my neighbor move and I couldn't eat as often. This past week I ranged from 975-1734 cals. Other than Sat & Sun, which I work, I usually get up bet 6:30-7:00AM and sit at the computer with a few cups of coffee. I'm at the gym by 9Am, so my first meal isn't until about 11:00. It's not perfect but it works for me.
~~~Sil

Labmom
07-09-2001, 09:31 PM
Hi, there BFL Team!

I haven't been checking the posts lately and wow! Have you been active! Thanks, Michelle, for all your questions - got lots of ideas from reading everyone's answers!

I've had a rough time lately - I fell off around the 4th - took a couple extra days of vacation and ended up not eating right at all - a 3 day "off day" ...oops. But got right back on, except I'm also having a terrible time with my allergies. I get horrible sinus headaches - really difficult to lift or run when your head is pounding...another reason I haven't been on the boards - hard to look at a computer screen too. :( Then with all the antihistimines I'm taking (my allergy shots won't be up to full strength for 7 weeks! had to start over because I had to change primary care doctors to get back into my allergist, etc. etc etc.) I'm feeling REALLY cranky!:mad:

So I'm trying to not be concerned about the official challenge that I signed up for. I'm in this truly for life, so it shouldn't matter if things are a little slow this summer while I get through this stupid allergy season. I'll do what I can each day, keep on the food program and when I'm feeling better I'll go for another 12 week challenge. In the meantime, my goal is to get daily exercising the BFL way a regular part of my life.

Take care, good to see you all so "pumped" ! Cris

MichelleP
07-10-2001, 12:51 AM
Well it is the end of day one and I will be soon making my delicious shake. I did my first day of aerobics and am beat and have planned my upper body workout for tommorrow.

Sil, thanks for the info on the BF%. Unfortunately, that link is not working but I will check out the hussman site. I actually got a response from the "caliper people" (accu measure) and they said for every additional mm you need to add .25% . So for me that would be an additional 1.5% bringing me to 37.9% which is pretty close to what you stated.

I guess the only thing that "worries" me is the amount of food I eat all day. It seems so much. That diet paranoia setting in I guess. For eg. how much is a portion of cottage cheese? What the heck is a palm sized portion of that? I was first thinking 1/2 cup then maybe it is 1 cup (i'm hoping it is the latter).

We'll see ya tommorrow.
Michelle.

2BFIT1
07-10-2001, 07:16 AM
Cris~~~I'm sorry to hear that you have been feeling yucky:( But I hope you are in the BFL swing of things real soon.

Michelle~~~ Opps! I goofed on that caliper site. It is www.hussman.com/eas/caliper.htm
But check out the www.hussman.com site also because there is a ton of info there. I think that is where i also did my BMR. Congratulations on starting BFL, gal! Believe it or not, you will love how it makes you feel~just hang in there.

Well, I have class this morning and then I can hit the gym. I'm so excited about finally using the smith machine in my routine. I just loved it when I tried it out.For the rest of my challenge I'll be doing squats and lunges on it, so hopefully there will be some results in the lower half of my body.

MrsJ~~~3 more day, gal! :spin:

Susanje~~~hope you are enjoying your company. How is C2 going?

susanje
07-10-2001, 09:01 AM
Michelle,

For the things you find hard to measure, do the following:

figure out the grams of protein you should have at each meal (lean body weight divided by 6) and then look up in a food count book how much that is for a food you find difficult to measure using the fist/palm measurement (1/2 cup, cup etc or by weight 3 oz etc) and then put the food in the measuring cup or on the scale and look at it. Do this a few times until you can "eyeball" the correct amount. Then try it a few times on your own...scoop out the portion you think is correct and then measure it to see how close you came. I did this about mid C1 because I thought I was eating too much. I actually was not eating enough and my portions were actually too small.

Sil: Thanks for asking. I haven't been eating clean but not terribly bad. My eating is way off. Friends here invited us to barbeques and out to eat a bunch of times and my friend wanted to go to California Farmer markets and pick your own fruit so I have had an extraordinary amount of fruit this weekend (on its own, no protein). I've tried to stay as close to clean as I could but it's been very rough. I worked out one day since Friday (yesterday) and it was not the best workout I've ever had. I take this company to the airport today and more comes on Saturday........ARGH.............and then I go east the week after that.

MrsJim: You're on the homestretch...eh? how long will you be on vacation? I probably won't talk to you for a while since I go on vacation on the 21st! CONGRATULATIONS AS YOU NEAR THE END OF C1!!! You've done such a great job! how does it feel????????

As for me, Im just trying to stay the course,
Susan

susanje
07-10-2001, 09:04 AM
Cris, good to see you back!

Susan-Congrats on the GREAT progress!

Shelley-How's it going????????

MrsJim
07-10-2001, 09:07 AM
I have a meeting beginning today for two days and then it's off to Yosemite and the wilderness! Yipee!

Unfortunately tonight I have to take my group out for dinner. I'm pretty sure that I will be able to stay pretty close to BFL eating as long as I don't eat the appetizers or desserts and stay away from the wine (no big deal for me). We're going to a four-star restaurant in the area which should be really nice. Personally, I'd just as soon stay home and grill a chicken breast!

Blastit - you are doing so well! Wow!

Michelle - Congrats on starting - once you get the hang of it, you will really love BFL and the way it makes you feel!

Sil - In my LBWO yesterday I used the Smith for my lunges as well as my squats. I MUCH prefer it to using dumbbells, if only for the fact that you get a better 'stretch' and I didn't feel like I was ready to topple over!

Well, time to hit the shower - it's after 6 and I have to be at work by 7:15 to set up...arrgh!

MrsJim
07-10-2001, 09:12 AM
...that last night after work I had my dreaded bikini wax!! Yeow! Actually it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, nor have I experienced any breakouts - just a little redness. My esthetician did a fantastic job - and gave me some Vitamin E drops to massage in the area.

I had hoped that my legs would be less flabby by now - but like I said before- I really didn't expect any major lower body changes into well into C2 - and I know they ARE getting smaller judging from the Pants-o-Meter!!

2BFIT1
07-10-2001, 03:47 PM
but it felt GREAT to do the lunges and squats on the smith machine. I was able to concentrate more on the LIFTING than on the BALANCING:D
Gotta go for now:wave:
~~~Sil

ShelleyM
07-11-2001, 09:52 AM
My UBWO lasted 65 minutes today. Don't know why, I just know that my arms are feeling it!

Mrs. Jim-Tommorrow's the day! Good for you!!

Michelle- How did your 2nd day go??? Have you gotten your calipers yet??

Labmom-Glad to have you back!!

Susanje-Looks like you're still doing good, even if you aren't eating all your protein!

Blastit-Good for you and your progresss! You're doing fantastic!!

Sil- Keep up the good work!

2BFIT1
07-11-2001, 02:15 PM
Shelly~~~Thanks for all of your encouragement! I'm finishing week 8 and starting to see results, so don't give up. It will happen:) Just keep doing the best that you can. I had a good cardio WO today. I did add an extra 15 min at moderate intensity (5 of which was cool down). I was planning on mowing the lawn this afternoon but I just got new neighbors next door and he has a pitbull that barks at me when I go in the front yard. He could jump the fence if he wanted to, so we are building a new, higher one starting this weekend. So, I'll wait till DH gets home to do the front. With that postponed, I'll think I'll go read by the pool and cool off.:wave:~~~Sil

Scouthorse
07-11-2001, 04:06 PM
I'm probably not posting this correctly, but I wanted to know if any of you know of any diet pills (that work) that don't contain caffiene or ephedrin. I am taking Metab-O-Lite now and it is working for me, but I get the worst jitters. Don't know how long I can take these. Please anyone, let me know. Thanks!:D

MrsJim
07-11-2001, 06:02 PM
First off - just a quick line to Scouthorse...you probably meant to post on "Fitness Scams" or Diet Plans in general rather than BFL. I can't name any diet pills THAT WORK that don't contain caffeine or ephedrine, or any else for that matter since none of them work anyway...the only way to do take weight off permanently is to eat right and work out. Check out Body for Life and skip those bogus pills - take it from me (and probably everyone else in the BFL board) they DON'T WORK.

Sil - with all the pitbill maulings happening around here recently in the San Francisco Bay Area (one woman killed a few months ago, one boy near death after being mauled a few weeks ago by three pitbulls - he will now require millions of dollars and years of reconstructive surgery - the boy's ears were torn off among other horrendous things) I would be terrified to have a pitbull living so close to me!! Why should YOU have to pay for the extra fence? Since it sounds like a common fence, your neighbor should pay at least half (since it's his dog, I think he should pay the whole thing if he decides to keep having dangerous dogs around). You may want to call the police and notify them of the new pitbull in your neighborhood - just a tip... :angel:

Anyway, I have been so busy with this meeting for the past couple of days, and there has been SO much food around (pretty typical for these meetings!) that I've been going nuts. I am in charge of all the logistics of the meeting so I told the caterers to CLEAR ALL THE FOOD OUT 30 minutes after lunch was served. Normally my mind would say "all that food is going to waste" and a great deal of it would end up...around my waist! We had a really nice night out yesterday though. I got to the restaurant (a four-star restaurant right near my house) so I was able to quiz the maitre'd about the menu. Turned out that most of the items were very much BFL-authorized. We had a delicious endive salad with a very light vinagrette and thin slices of Asian pears...the main course was pan-roasted seabass with lentils and shittake mushrooms. Yum! And of course since this was a very upscale restaurant, the portions were not huge.

I'm so excited about tomorrow! My plans are to do a LBWO (I did an UBWO this morning but will do a 20 min HIIT run on Friday in Yosemite) before we take off - I'm going to have Jim take my "official" 12 week pix before we high-tail it outta the Bay Area. As far as eating, I'm going to TRY to eat clean for the next day or two before starting my Free Week - not always easy in Yosemite though. We'll also be doing a lot of hiking, biking, rafting and...maybe...horseback riding...

I'll be back Sunday eve and will post my 12-week pix on L&S's Transformation Gallery as well as my website!