Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #1  

Default Need help!

Hey guys and gals.

This is my first post, as i have only been a member for a short period and i prefer to have a look around.

Just to let you in on some stats....I'm 5''9 and weigh 64Kg (140lbs) my measurement are 36-30-36. my upper arms are 12. i am also 17 years old.
I used to weigh 90Kg (around 200ish).I have been dieting for around 8 months,only in the last 2 months have i been exercising,as i recently joined the gym.

My dilemma is that im confused about how many calories i should be eating and whether i should only aim for 1 pound or 2 pound losses.I have been losing around a kilogram a week(2.2 pounds)by eating around 1250 - 1350cals a day and burning 1700 cals through cardio,plus weights 3 times a week.Im not seeing much results in terms of fat reduction.I'm scared that im losing muscle,i still have ALOT of fat that needs shifting.I have a very boyish figure(android shape??) and although im at a healthy weight i am still very chubby.I need advice urgently as i don't wish to be a very low weight!!!

I'm seriously considering taking a break from my diet and come back to it but i would rather not have to do this. I have also become very obsessive and can tell it is not healthy.Since July,i had been planning a massive pig out at Christmas as my ''break'' and i couldn't even resist counting everything i ate at the end of the night:| around 4000 calories!! grr,please help i can't stop obsessing.
kimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #2  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Kimmi,

I just did a quick BMI check given your height and weight, and according to the online calculator, you're around 20, at the low end of normal weight (18.5-24.9 being "normal" and anything below 18.5 being "underweight"). It may be that you need to concentrate more on building muscle and toning up what you have than on losing weight. The people over in the exercise forum (check out ladies who lift!) offer great advice for doing that.

As far as Christmas goes, don't stress, it's one day, and you can get up and go back to normal the 26th.
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You've done great, kimmi, and I agree with FL_chickie. Work more on the exercise, but don't give up the food plan completely.

Hope you enjoyed Christmas, no matter what.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:13 AM   #4  

thanks for the advice

But guys seriously,i am very chubby,i know what the BMI says,i have checked heaps of calculators and the results really confuse me,i am a size 12 in australian clothing (size 8 american). I'm wanting to fit into the size lower,or simply lose my bulging tummy and flabby upper arms.I just don't know what im doing wrong,some weeks i don't even lose any weight,and when i do there is no fat reduction.

Should i stop counting calories and just eat healthy or perhaps up my calorie intake?? I really don't want to be any lighter,maybe another 10 pounds at the most,but at the way im looking now and that fact that im not losing fat it doesn't look good.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I am not an expert in this stuff, but given that you are 17 and your other statistics, it could be that you are not eating enough calories to sustain your muscles with that much workout. Try increasing your calories to 1500, and especially make sure you are getting enough protein. That's not going to make a difference right away, of course--try it for 2 months, say, and see how it goes.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:00 AM   #6  

Ok,thank you all for your advice,i will definately up my calories to 1500 and see what happens.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #7  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Oh kimmi...and you're *17*. Your body shape WILL change as you mature a bit too. I think your weight sounds FINE--try some of the advice you were given as far as the exercise (weights/resistance to do some toning). In your shoes (and with my 46 year old brain) I would probably find the amount of calories for maintenance and give my body a little time to catch up and "shake out"/tone, etc. I suspect that what counts as "VERY chubby" at 17 would be awesome for most of us past our teens and 20s Just don't be too hard on yourself--instead remember what you've accomplished with your weight loss and give your body time to adjust.
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote