Old 12-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #1  
takin it one lb at a time

Question breakfast

ugh.. breakfast. i can never figure something out that's healthy and will fill me up for breakfast. it's my worst meal i swear... does anyone have any tips for something that would be healthy, and easy to make for breakfast?
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #2  

I eat 2 cups of Cheerios , it's 220 calories.....
okie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:18 PM   #3  
LLV

I vary my breakfasts. Sometimes I have some sort of hot cereal - oatmeal, cream of wheat, oat bran, hot multigrain cereal, grits, things like that. Then other times I'm in the mood for meat and eggs. In which case I have scrambled egg whites or Egg Beaters, Morningstar Farms bacon strips, turkey sausage links, etc. Or I have these little mini omelets that I buy from Market Day. Cheese-filled egg omelets (they use lowfat cheese) that are only 60 calories a piece. I had one of those this morning

Then sometimes I have cold cereal. Just whatever we have hanging around. I prefer things like Cheerios, bite-size Frosted Mini Wheats, Grape Nuts, etc.

Then, of course, I have days where I don't feel like eating at all. I went years without ever eating breakfast and I still have mornings where I just can't think about choking down any food, so to get some nutrition in my body, I keep around cans of the powder-form Slimfast in a bunch of different flavors. No, I'm not on the 'Slimfast plan' or anything, I just keep the stuff around to get some form of nutrition on the days I just don't feel like eating. I also use instant breakfast. Both the Slimfast and instant breakfast, I use the low sugar varieties.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:01 PM   #4  

I like to have 1/2 cup eggbeater with 1 slice LF cheese & 1 slice rye toast. It's my favorite breakfast.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:13 AM   #5  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I've only started eating breakfast this year, and most days I have one of these:
  • 1 cup Optimum Slim Cereal with 1 oz seedless raisins and ½ cup 0% milk;
  • Breakfast shake (5½ oz banana, 1 cup cranberry juice, 2 tblsp. hemp protein powder, crushed ice);
  • Fruit shake (5½ oz banana, 2 oz blueberries, crushed ice, ¼ cup 0% milk, ½ cup 2% plain yogurt).
All three are quick to prepare and are very filling.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:18 AM   #6  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

RAISIN BRAN and semi skimmed milk!!
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

A scraping of peanut butter on toast and a banana
scrambled eggs 1 sl toast
omlette
kashi go lean and cottage cheese
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #8  
Egy Kis Lany

Stuff a whole wheat pita with an egg-y something!

I like:
.5 cup egg beaters, 2 Tbsp flax seed, .25-.5 cup salsa, 1 ox reduced fat cheese (mozzerella or cheddar), maybe some grilled onions.... all mixed together and cooked in a pan.
I put half of the mixture in each warmed-up pita half and eat 1/2 right away and then save the other half for a snack mid-morning... it stores well b/c of the pita.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I just like instant oatmeal. Even instant oatmeal is whole grains, and I get the reduced-sugar kind so it's not so horrible for you as some flavors can be. If I know it'll be a while before I eat anything else, I'll have 2 packets and make it with water. I find the Weight Control kind to be even more filling with just 1 packet (maybe because it has a little more fiber?).

I used to do eggs every morning, but I just do not have the time for that anymore. I love cold cereal with milk, but I find it's not as filling as oatmeal and is so often filled with a whole lot of nothing nutritious (though I did used to eat Go Lean Crunch, but it's pretty expensive and too high in calories for an actual Jill-sized serving ).

I often actual just have a Special K cereal bar (90 calories) and a diet soda in the morning. I know it's not very nutritious, but the bar gives me some calories (plus I can eat it in the car!), and the soda actually makes me feel very full (the carbonation, I guess). I'm not really suggesting this is what you have, just adding in my normal routine breakfast as well
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #10  
LLV

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not, but what I eat depends on how long I stay feeling satisfied. Like if I eat cereal (hot or cold) or breads or any other carby-type foods, by 10:30 or 11am I'm famished. But if I eat a high-protein breakfast, like eggs and turkey sausage or an omelet or anything really LOW carb, I can hold out until after 12 or 1pm before eating again.

Anyone else?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #11  
LLV

For example, yesterday I had egg whites and low-sugar chocolate milk for breakfast and was fine until past noon. Today I had Grape Nuts and by 10:30 I was ready to eat the refrigerator, lol.

Never fails.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
For example, yesterday I had egg whites and low-sugar chocolate milk for breakfast and was fine until past noon. Today I had Grape Nuts and by 10:30 I was ready to eat the refrigerator, lol.

Never fails.
I don't know what time you eat breakfast, but it's actually suggested that you eat every 3 or so hours during the day, so maybe it's not so bad to feel hungry sometimes
Old 12-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
I don't know what time you eat breakfast, but it's actually suggested that you eat every 3 or so hours during the day, so maybe it's not so bad to feel hungry sometimes
Well, I'm just saying that I feel hungrier when I eat the high-carb stuff. Not that I count carbs or anything, it's just something I've noticed and if I remember correctly, someone else on this board said the same thing not long ago, but I can't recall who it was. Was just wondering if it was just me or not

I usually eat breakfast around 8'ish. 7:45-8:00 during the week when my son has school and between 8 and 9 on the weekends, since I sleep in a little longer. And I usually have lunch between 11 and 12. No set time, I don't eat by the clock, but that's the usual time I start getting hungry. Unless I eat cereal or something for breakfast. Those days I start getting hungry again by as early as 10:00.

Then I have days where I don't eat lunch until 1 or 2pm because I'm out running around and just wait until I get back home to eat.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

It's not just you--I have heard that carbs actually digest faster than fat or protein in your system, which is why you typically feel hungrier sooner after eating primarily carbs. I was just thinking that if you eat breakfast really early, you may not want to wait until noon to eat again (whether you're hungry or not!). I tend to think the world runs on my time--I am up by 5am every weekday
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #15  
Egy Kis Lany

Jill- 5 am!! You poor thing! (Actually, that's when I get up, too... *sigh*)

I think that's why everyone always suggests some -protein- as a snack during the day -- it keeps you fuller longer. Fats, too, and complex carbohydrates (fiber!).
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote