Veggie Challenged - The Official Vegetable Thread

View Full Version : The Official Vegetable Thread

LLV
12-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Didn't know what else to call it :stars:

Anyway, although I adore vegetables, I'll admit I don't eat enough of them. So I was thinking of a thread where we could post the veggies we eat every day so we can see what others are eating and also point a finger at ourselves and find out if we're eating enough of them. Some days I eat quite a few, other days barely any. So if any of you would like to join in on the veggie thread, I think it would be cool to see who's eating what. And that includes ALL veggies - from onions on your sandwich to the lettuce in your salads.

Today I've had spinach and carrots. A pretty decent helping, went way over the recommended daily allowance for Vitamin A. Unfortunately, though, that's all I've had. Unless pimentos count. I've got pimentos in my Egg Beaters egg salad which will go into a pita for my late night snack.

How's everyone else doing with the veggie intake? I'd love to know :)

DishyFishy
12-16-2005, 08:59 PM
I love vegetables, and I get a pretty decent amount in most days. Today I've had a big heap of raw veggies: red cabbage, carrots, celery, and tomatoes, all of which are so delish I eat plain. :)

I'm just waiting for my dinner to cool enough to eat, and the vegetables on my plate are grilled asparagus with black pepper and a little grated nutmeg, and two thick slices of onion.

LLV
12-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Sounds great!

Like I said, some days I eat lots and other days I don't eat that many at all. Depends on my meal plan for the day.

I eat a lot of onions, though. I eat onions in or on just about everything. Besides sweets, of course!

LLV
12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Today, so far, I have plans to put onions on my chicken sandwich (I found some great veggie 'chicken' burgers) and I'm going to have cauliflower as my side dish.

Maybe tonight I'll fix a big salad with lots of veggies on it.

Yogini
12-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Here's a related thread ;)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58331&highlight=5-10+veggie+challenge

I ate:

2 c. steamed cauliflower

1 c. steamed broccoli

1 c. raw purple cabbage
1/2 cup raw beets
1/2 cup raw carrots
2 green onions, sliced ( all mixed together as a slaw)

1 c. raw tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime salsa

1/2 cup guacamole

2 cups romaine lettuce

1 cup cooked carrot, zucchini, onion mix (in soup)

2 cups steamed kale

angeleyezx
12-17-2005, 12:14 PM
I ate cauliflower yesterday, blending to be like mash potato and celerysticks!

LLV
12-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Excellent guys :)

I also had lettuce and tomato on my sandwich and tonight I'm fixing myself a salad. Unfortunately, though, there's not many veggies on it except more onion. It's one of my favorite salads made with feta cheese, shrimp, imitation crab, sometimes black olive, and my favorite salad dressing, the Ken's Steakhouse Lite Sweet Vidalia Onion. I mix it with a little bit of the Kraft "Light Done Right" House Italian w/ olive oil. Then my 'croutons' are pieces of a grilled whole wheat tortilla. Just a little habit I picked up from a place where I used to get salads, they served the salads with grilled tortillas or flatbread. Part of the tortilla I tear up in little pieces and throw onto the salad and the rest of it I use as a 'scoop', putting some of the salad into the bigger pieces and folding it up and eating the salad inside the tortilla.

If that makes any sense, lol. I don't know.

penpal
12-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Yesterday I had mashed celeriac & potatoes and green beans with lots of garlic with fish for lunch. I had cabbage coleslaw with a few raisins sprinkled in for dinner (with leftover stew).

Today I had szechuan shrimp w. mushrooms, woodear mushrooms, celery, onion, peppers, water chestnuts & carrots :carrot:

runner15
12-17-2005, 07:11 PM
I just got finished with a baked potato topped with some salsa! I just tried this the other week and I love it! It's so quick too...just pop the potato in mic. for a few minutes!

penpal
12-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm glad you mentioned the salsa on a potato. I have some fresh pico de gallo (kind of like salsa) that I bought to have on my fish yesterday but I forgot because my fridge is such a mess! Anyway, I think I'll have it for dinner on a potato - good idea, thanks :thanks:

LLV
12-17-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm glad you mentioned the salsa on a potato. I have some fresh pico de gallo (kind of like salsa) that I bought to have on my fish yesterday but I forgot because my fridge is such a mess! Anyway, I think I'll have it for dinner on a potato - good idea, thanks :thanks:
I like putting fat-free cottage cheese on my potatoes. Kinda takes the place of sour cream, although I'll still sometimes use fat-free sour cream. But ever since I was younger, I love cottage cheese with potatoes. Even mashed. Anytime we have mashed potatoes, I have to have my cottage cheese, I like mixing them together, lol.

penpal
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I eat lots of fat free cottage cheese! It's a life-saver as I often have it with some fruit (Dole fruit cup) for dinner if I'm not very hungry. I always have a couple of cartons in the fridge. It sounds a bit unusual to me to have it on a potato as I think of it as more a "dessert" type of food. I'll have to give it a try some time. A lot less cals than butter! Does it kind of melt on the hot potato?

Yogini
12-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Today I had:

3 cups of steamed broccoli

2 cups of steamed kale

1/3 a cup onion

6 cloves garlic

2 cups beet and red onion salad

1/2 cup baked butternut squash

1/2 cup baked pumpkin

1 cup spinach

:)

Yogini
12-17-2005, 11:09 PM
It sounds a bit unusual to me to have it on a potato as I think of it as more a "dessert" type of food. I'll have to give it a try some time. A lot less cals than butter! Does it kind of melt on the hot potato?

The "milky" part gets more watery and the curds soften a bit but do not "melt".

LLV
12-17-2005, 11:09 PM
I eat lots of fat free cottage cheese! It's a life-saver as I often have it with some fruit (Dole fruit cup) for dinner if I'm not very hungry. I always have a couple of cartons in the fridge. It sounds a bit unusual to me to have it on a potato as I think of it as more a "dessert" type of food. I'll have to give it a try some time. A lot less cals than butter! Does it kind of melt on the hot potato?
Funny you say that, as I could never think of cottage cheese as a 'dessert' type of food, lol.

Melts? Well, no, not really, not like sour cream does. But it 'warms' itself into the potato. I love cottage cheese too, I always have some around. I also like eating it with my scrambled egg whites in the morning.

LLV
12-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Today I had:

3 cups of steamed broccoli

2 cups of steamed kale

1/3 a cup onion

6 cloves garlic

2 cups beet and red onion salad

1/2 cup baked butternut squash

1/2 cup baked pumpkin

1 cup spinach

:)

Wow, girl, you do way better than me!

Like I said, some days 90% of my food intake is veggie. Then other days I hardly get any. Just depends on how my meals pan out for the day and what I'm in the mood to eat.

LLV
12-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Not many veggies again today, I'm afraid.

I had peas and carrots today with my fish and that's about it.

However, I had a day last week (before I started this thread) where I had baked butternut squash for lunch along with carrots and spinach, then had broccoli for dinner with mushrooms and snap peas. So it just depends on how my meals pan out. Some of my meals are completely vegetarian, although I'm a meat lover, so I usually have chicken or fish of some kind.

penpal
12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
This thread is reminding me that I'm not eating as many fruits and veggies as I should. I'm nowhere near the recommended 5 a day.

Today for lunch I had steamed cabbage and 1/2 a yam (there were also some mushrooms in the chicken marsala that I made). We had sushi for dinner, so the only "veggie" in that was the nori seaweed.

We eat out quite a lot and not many restaurants have a good variety of veggies, so I usually just have a side salad (not very nutritious :( )

LLV
12-20-2005, 07:21 PM
I had a caesar salad today with mixed greens, carrots and onions. Spinach in that salad as well.

That's it on the veggie front, I've been really slacking lately. But I haven't had dinner yet.

penpal
12-20-2005, 10:03 PM
For lunch I had Thai mixed vegetables (carrots, celery, mushrooms, broccoli, peppers and cabbage). I had butternut squash soup for dinner.

LLV
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I love butternut squash soup! I love ALL squash, both winter and summer.

LLV
12-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Doing a little better today. I'm having carrots, broccoli and cauliflower for lunch along with a bunless veggie burger and soy cheese. So I'm getting some mono's as well.

Oh, and lettuce and onions on my burger.

penpal
12-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Had Japenese food today, so that means very little in the way of veggies :(

I had a little bit of seaweed in my soup and about a 1/4 cup of edamame (soy beans). I'll have to eat some vegetables for dinner. I have some leftover cabbage and 1/2 a yam. I might make a small salad too.

LLV
12-21-2005, 07:52 PM
I love edamame!

penpal
12-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Yes, they are very good for you (lots of protein) and a good way to get some soy in your diet. I realize I'm going to have to really work at it if I'm going to be eating more veggies!

LLV
12-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Yes, they are very good for you (lots of protein) and a good way to get some soy in your diet. I realize I'm going to have to really work at it if I'm going to be eating more veggies!
Yeah, it's not easy, especially when you're working with calorie restriction. Until I reach my goal, I only eat about 1200-1300 calories a day. There's no way to get the "recommended" servings of ANY food group per day on that little bit of calories.

6-11 servings of some things?

Yeah, right.

LLV
12-22-2005, 12:13 PM
A small ear of corn and peas and carrots with my catfish for lunch today.

Going to have steamed broccoli for my mid-afternoon snack.

Elanajel
12-22-2005, 06:09 PM
So far:
a big "gourmet greens" salad at lunch
tabouli with a lot of parsley
shredded red cabbage

With dinner:
cucumber slices
frozen spinach

Drank some pom. juice.

LLV
12-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Great job :)

Yogini
12-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Yeah, it's not easy, especially when you're working with calorie restriction. Until I reach my goal, I only eat about 1200-1300 calories a day. There's no way to get the "recommended" servings of ANY food group per day on that little bit of calories.

6-11 servings of some things?

Yeah, right.

I find that for the nutritional value and low calorie content, foods like veggies, fruits, beans and legumes are superior and are my first choice because it's very easy to get all the required daily nutrients by focusing on those foods *first* and adding in others (like breads) with what calories are left. By looking at the nutritional profile of recommended servings/foods, you can easily figure out which foods will meet those goals with the maximum fiber, nutrition and satisfaction levels.

I eat about 1200-1500 calories on average and a typical day looks like this for me:

A large bowl of split pea soup with veggie broth, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, spices nutritional yeast and served with 1/2 a sprouted grains bun

A large bowl of steamed broccoli with lemon, pressed garlic and nutritional yeast

A large bowl of red lentils with zucchini, kale, onion, garlic, leeks, cilantro, spices and veggie broth

1 can of chickpeas with flax oil, ground flax seeds, garlic, apple cider vinegar and spices, coarsely chopped and served over a HUGE salad of mixed baby greens, arugula, romaine lettuce, shredded beets and carrots, celery and tomatoes

4 cups Vitasoy Complete (the entire carton of 4 cups has only 280 clories, yet has 24 grams of protein, 16 grams of fiber and over 100% the daily requirement for calcium)

1 apple and 10 almonds

1 serving calcium-fortified orange juice with hemp protein powder

This day is nutrient-packed, delicious and gives me enough fiber and nourishment so that I *don't* feel hungry or deprived (and it meets or exceeds the nutritional requirements for an average 265 pound adult woman such as me ;) ). Plus, it's 100% cholesterol-free and very low in fat, especially saturated fat :)

:carrot:

LLV
12-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I find that for the nutritional value and low calorie content, foods like veggies, fruits, beans and legumes are superior and are my first choice because it's very easy to get all the required daily nutrients by focusing on those foods *first* and adding in others (like breads) with what calories are left.
You're vegetarian (or vegan) though, right? So if veggies is all one eats, then I suppose it would easy for a good portion of your eats for the day to be mostly vegetables. I'm a meat-eater, although I usually only eat fish and chicken, which isn't as high in calories as beef.

Thanks for the menu layout, that gives me some ideas on how to get more veggies in my diet ;)

Mina
12-23-2005, 09:33 AM
hmm.

I usually have salsa on a baked potato and add nutritonal yeast and a small amount of olive oil for a cheesy flavor.

And...

Yesterday, I had a salad with lime garlic vinaigrette... it was mostly Romaine lettuce..

Mina
12-23-2005, 09:35 AM
You're vegetarian (or vegan) though, right? So if veggies is all one eats, then I suppose it would easy for a good portion of your eats for the day to be mostly vegetables. I'm a meat-eater, although I usually only eat fish and chicken, which isn't as high in calories as beef.

Thanks for the menu layout, that gives me some ideas on how to get more veggies in my diet ;)

Sorry, vegetarians don't ONLY eat vegetables. We also eat grains, fruits, legumes and if we're not vegan, we eat dairy.

I'm a vegetarian, and sometimes I have a hard time getting in vegetables because I'm not home often and would prefer to be making my own vegetables than to have them prepared. Just a thought...

Yogini
12-23-2005, 10:05 AM

Yep, vegan here! However, many vegans and vegetarians I know eat like this for thier 1200-1500 calories:

Coffee with FF/SF creamer

Cereal and milk with toast and IBINB spray and SF jelly

Cheese sandwich with iceburg lettuce, 1 slice of tomato and FF mayo, tortilla chips, salsa

Cheese crackers and diet coke

Pasta with marinara sauce, cheese and cheesy garlic bread

2 cookies

as you can see, compared to the day I posted of what I eat, there is a VAST difference in nutritional content and the basic principles of eating for OPTIMUM nutrition can be applied to your diet as well;here's my day with animal products substituted for you yet still retaining similar nutritional value:

A small/medium bowl of split pea soup made with chicken broth, canadian bacon, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, spices and served with 1 serving Ryvita/Wasa crackers

A large bowl of steamed broccoli with lemon, pressed garlic and spices

A small-medium bowl of turkey ball soup with zucchini, kale, onion, garlic, leeks, cilantro, spices and chicken broth

1 can of tuna in water with olive oil, garlic, vinegar and spices, served over a HUGE salad of mixed baby greens, arugula, romaine lettuce, shredded beets and carrots, celery and tomatoes sprinkled with parmesean cheese

3 cups 1% milk

1 apple and 10 almonds

1 serving calcium-fortified orange juice 2 servings benefiber

1 additional glass water with benefiber

penpal
12-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Yesterday I had a large salad with my fish for lunch. For dinner I made a big pan of roasted veggies - crimini mushrooms, zucchini, red onions, sweet potatoes, carrots & parsnips. I baked them with a little olive oil, rosemary, salt & pepper in a hot oven. I drizzled them with a little balsamic vinegar and they were delish! I have some left overs that will be good to snack on today.

I've started eating more fruit too. Yesterday I had an apple, a banana and an orange.

LLV
12-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Sorry, vegetarians don't ONLY eat vegetables. We also eat grains, fruits, legumes and if we're not vegan, we eat dairy.
Yes, hon, I know :)

I'm just saying that it might be easier for vegetarians to eat more vegetables than, say, someone who eats meat as well, as far as squeezing everything into a calorie-restricted diet. Forgive me for not being clear on that. I'm very well aware vegetarians eat more than just vegetables.

LLV
12-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Yep, vegan here! However, many vegans and vegetarians I know eat like this for thier 1200-1500 calories:
Thanks for the info :)

penpal
12-27-2005, 10:34 PM
I had two cups of coleslaw with lunch. We had spaghetti with home made bolognese sauce and that had tomatoes in it. That's about it I'm afraid - still not enough veggies for me!

LLV
12-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Yesterday I had spinach at lunch. Then last night I made a salad with onions, green peppers and red peppers.

Yogini
12-28-2005, 11:52 AM
2 cups broccoli

1 cup sliced tomatoes

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup diced potato

3 cups spinach, romaine, arugula mix

1 cup shredded beet and carrot mic

1 cup shredded cabbages mix

PhysDom
12-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Last night I made sausage and peppers stir fry...
With 2 TJ's Chicken Sausages
1 full box of bresh mushrooms (8 oz?)
1 entire bag of frozen red, green, and yellow pepper strips.

It served two of us... so that's a lot of veggies for supper! I put mine over 1 cup egg noodles. He put his over about 3 cups...

penpal
12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Yesterday I did a bit better - green beans, peas, squash & mashed potato.

katrinabgood
01-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Great thread here, I'm getting all kinds of new ideas!

I have a question for you Yogini...how do you make your beet salad? Just shred the beets and carrots and mix together? I've never had raw beets and am looking forward to trying them! I love the idea of chopping up chick peas with garlic and spices and having over salad. You really know how to get the most out of your meals!