Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-16-2005, 05:28 PM   #1  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Question Running hurts, should it?

I am not naturally a good runner/jogger and never have been. But then I’m looking at everyone on the treadmills making it look so easy, so I’ve given it a try a couple times in the past month. The first time I thought I’d try to jog at 5.5 mph (no incline) for 5 minutes. Sounds pretty easy right? Wrong! I made it to 4 and had to stop, and my HR was well over 170. And the next day my hips, knees and lower back were all killing me. Yesterday I decided to try alternating: jog for one min (5.5 mph) and walk for one min (4 mph). It was much easier to accomplish, not too overwhelming. I did 10 mins total like this. But today I’m still feeling the same aches. Back when I was in high school I did take up jogging for a summer to help get ready for swim season in the fall, and I got up to jogging about 3 miles in 30 min. I don’t remember feeling this kind of joint pain back then, but come to think of it I don’t remember lots of things, so maybe that don’t mean anything. I was probably around 175 when I was doing that, so that may have something to do with it as well.

Right now I’m most often using the elliptical and swimming for cardio and can keep up a good paced work out for an hour or more, but after 10 min on the treadmill I feel absolutely dead on my feet. What’s the deal?

Thanks for your help, oh wise ones.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:18 PM   #2  
Scale Addict

It sounds to me like you are overdoing it. *hugs*

Not many people can jump on a treadmill and run at 5.5 without injuring themself.

I started at 4.3 and only going 60 seconds at a time and hurt my knees. I took two weeks off to recover.

Now I'm working at a speed of 3.6 and can now go 3 minutes. I have been following a program called couch-to-5k on the Cool Running site. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml This program has helped me adjust to running, and slowly build endurance.

To help avoid injury I warm up (5 minute fast walk)
Stretch major muscle groups
Workout (jog/walk)
cool down (walk)
Stretch major muscle groups

Since I slowed down I've really started to enjoy myself. I know that I'll be able to work on speed later.
modemama is offline   Reply With Quote