Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Exclamation A new LOW point - marketing diet pills to CHILDREN!

I was on the elliptical at my gym this morning and happened to catch the tail end of an infomercial for diet pills. I figured it was just the usual advertising and wasn't paying attention until I saw that the company (BioSlim) was selling "packages" of diet pills to families...specifically for CHILDREN.

Wow...I knew they were low...but I had no idea just HOW low these slimeballs would go to make extra money...

We had the tobacco industry marketing to kids, and now...the slimey diet pill pushers are following in their path.

So I did a little Net search and found the company's website to get some more info...

The "Youth Kit" costs $90 (plus S&H). According to the website it is "appropriate for ages 7 to 15" and contains what looks like some generic diet paraphanalia (the poster, which is supposed to remind kids what to eat and what not to eat also reminds them "...and don't forget to take your formula!" ) along with TWO, count em TWO, different diet pills of which the 'recommended dose' is 2 of each per day.

BioSlim was good enough to include a partial list (although not the amounts) of the ingredients...BOTH formulas include Citrus Auranteum (aka "Bitter Orange") which works like ephedra in the body - this is basically "herbal speed" and is on the Consumer Reports Dirty Dozen list of most dangerous supplements. Here's what SupplementWatch says regarding the value of this substance:

Quote:
The most likely explanation for weight loss effects attributed to citrus aurantium supplements is the amphetamine-like effects of the alkaloids.
So basically, this SLIMY company is marketing herbal speed to 7 year olds. And if these pack a wallop for many adults, what do you think it will do to the system of a child? At the very least, won't it get them hooked on the speedy feeling? What happens when the parents discover their kids can't sleep at night - and according to articles I've read, kids these days don't get enough sleep as it IS.

But the website says the ingredients in the capsules are at "child appropriate levels". WHAT, pray tell, IS a child-appropriate level for a diet pill???? When I brought this to Suzanne's attention her incredulous response to that was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
There is no such thing as "child appropriate" levels for most of the ingredients because there is no RDA for them.
And not only THAT - you don't even know what is IN these pills. They're not monitored by the FDA, thanks to the 1994 Supplement Act which basically has tied the FDA's hands from being able to even ensure that the containers contain what is on the label in the stated amounts! Check this recent thread out ==> ConsumerLab test weight loss supplements, finds concerns

I bet that a lot of parents who will consider buying these pills for their kids would never even THINK of letting their kids drink cola or coffee because of the caffeine...but they will (probably unknowingly) be giving their kids mega-doses of that exact substance...NOT good.

I'm sure the company, since it has an MD endorsing their products and all (just goes to show you that there are plenty of doctors who will do anything to make a buck), will make millions of dollars in the next few months, even if (as I HOPE happens) the FTC or the FDA or someone buckles down on their marketing to children...

Of course I'm sure that BioSlime is also keeping in mind the BIG PICTURE - that they can "start 'em young" and get 7 year olds HOOKED on these diet pills, so they keep BUYING them, into adulthood and beyond, just how the cigarette companies used Joe Camel to sell THEIR products to children.

I'm sickened by this, literally SICKENED.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #2  
Meg

Karen - cynicial though I am about the depths that the diet industry will stoop to, I am truly shocked by this. I know that the diet pill/supplement industry is a poweful lobby in Washington, but this should not be permitted. Like you point out, parents who want to help their children (who of us doesn't want to spare our children the pain of growing up overweight?) may very well end up harming them instead.

Shudder. Just when you think you've seen it all, something like this comes along.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

Actually, I also find this quite shocking and would suggest anyone bothered by the marketing of questionable "diet" pills to children report it to the FDA.

Why not just sell guns to five-year-olds so they can shoot themselves?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #4  

I hope parents are savvy enough to avoid this kind of thing. I would NEVER give my children supplements, or drugs that were questionable, and researched it carefully before I did. Children have delicate systems that can be damaged by drugs that would not bother adults. This company should be prosecuted for trying to profit at the expense of susceptible children and their parents.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #5  

This is scary. And I can see there being a market for it. Since I've started losing weight, I've had a couple of moms come up to me and ask how I did it, so they could pass it on to an overweight kid. Their faces sorta fall when I tell them all about the "Eat less, move more" thing. They *wanted* to hear about a magic pill or suppliment that would take care of the problem no fuss, no muss.

Many people will be outraged by this. But I bet there will be enough parents who will look at their kids and say "Hmmmm". I just hope we don't hear about a rash of lawsuits in the next few months stemming from this product.
Closed Thread