Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 PM   #1  

Default Satisfied Meal

I was replying to a post and it made me think to myself...... I love being able to eat and have that satisfied full feeling.....does anyone have a low cal favorite meal or snack that completly satisfys them until their next meal time???
outwitheoldnwithenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #2  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Oh excellent outwith.... wyllen and I have been following each other through a couple of threads and this thing kinda keeps popping up!

So...my almost soapbox list by now includes vegetarian versions of some things that we might really love, but dang, those "beef" versions (or pork or whatever) are just killers. Like.....corndogs! Try Morningstar's veggie version of corndogs. I also am inordinantly fond of their breakfast links (like little sausages) and usually have 2 every morning. Vegetarian chili is usually in my cupboard this time of year too because a whole can is about 350 calories and makes a hugely satisfying dinner on really cold nights. For snacks, I like those carb counter yogurts--small, 60 cal, and if I have one right before bed it shuts my stomach up real quick and lasts me through the night (ok, USUALLY, LOL).

I have discovered a holiday thing at my grocery store that....ok, it's not going to be around long and I *know* it's processed flour, blahblahblah, but...it's this really big, fluffy gingerbread boy cookie and the whole damn thing is only 200 calories and.....yeah....I've had a couple a week. They're like $5 EACH and if I had enough money I wish I could put a stack of them in a freezer somewhere because I know they'll all be gone in 2 weeks (wah!).

When I just HAVE to have a chocolate fix, I buy one semi-sweet chocolate dipped graham cookie from Starbucks (along with my NF SF vanilla latte). The chocolate flavor is SO intense and rich and it's 140 calories that I consider well spent when I just have got to indulge.
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #3  

mmm.....that gingerbread man sounds pretty good!!! I suppose I still have alot to learn. At this point....I am pretty much just following my calorie intake per day not keeping track of the fats, flour, sugar etc. I have started buying pork skins for my in between snacks (you can't go without em if you live in the South! hehe). Sometimes I like to put hot sauce on them....I read somewhere that spicy/hot foods can help with burning calories. I would have to say.....the one food that fills me up is Michelina's shrimp alfredo. I like to eat that at night with a big salad first. Not too many calories and I feel satisfied and not deprived and its low in calories. I hate that unsatisfied feeling that kicks in when you have finished a meal like 25 mins...arggg..
Old 12-17-2005, 11:59 AM   #4  
Opulent

I suggest high-fiber foods if you want a "full" feeling. There is no way I won't have that full, satisfied feeling if I have a large raw salad, 2 bowls of lentil soup and 1-2 bowls of steamed veggies! For a nourishing, low-fat, fiber-rich meal that's under 500 calories, that's the way to go, IMO
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #5  
Movin on down the scale

High Protein and High Fiber foods are the best.....they keep you satisfied longer than most....

One thing I do when I make mashed potatoes (we mash with REAL CREAM) before I mash them with the cream for my family..I take a scoop out for me and mash them with chicken stock or skim milk. That saves me a lot of calories, then we have chicken (i skin mine) and green beans or peas....that meal is like 400 cals for me and I am never hungry later in the evening...
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:09 PM   #6  

Gonnaloseitagain... cool ideas on cutting calories! Why not introduce the family to your healthy way of eating? Grabbing the healthier food is automatic to me, and now my boyfriend is opting for the better choices too - getting healthier himself!
Sporadic_Moods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:18 PM   #7  
Movin on down the scale

Dana....my family is "old school" when it comes to eating....hubby likes the cream, so I give him that. I do introduce a lot of my habits to them...but the potatoes being mashed with cream, they do NOT budge on..lol
Old 12-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #8  

Yeah, I guess sometimes the real things can't be messed with.. Unfortunately mashed potatoes are one of my weaknesses, I can't just have a little!
Sporadic_Moods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #9  
Movin on down the scale

I know what you mean, I can LIVE on potatoes..and mashed or fried (not french fried) are my favorites......pan fried with LOTS of onions....mmmmmm
Old 12-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #10  

oh i love potatoes. but my body doesnt seem to lose as much weight if i eat so much carbs, so i try and stay away. lol
dramaticdiva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:04 PM   #11  

ohh yeahh.... I'm a steak n potatoes girl myself . Gonna that is a great idea with the mashed potatoes... I am going to try that next time I make mine. . Thxs for the tip .
Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #12  

I've noticed all of the people viewing this post..... If you have a great satisfying meal for that day where "mannn I feel like I'm starving" could ya post it?? I think its great to get new tips and ideas for this sort of diet .