Weight Loss Support - Christmas around the office

View Full Version : Christmas around the office

He likes my big butt
12-15-2005, 04:04 PM
I've been so good about my eating habbits here at work. I eat my oatmeal in the morning, Wheat Thins mid-morning, a salad w/chicken in it. But now the Holidays are here & all of our clients are sending chocolate, chocolate & more CHOCOLATE!!! Oh this is overwhelming. The smell gets to me and my weakness takes over me. "Just 1 piece, it wont hurt." How can anyone just have one piece!!!! :?:

LLV
12-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Welcome, neighbor. I used to live in Westerville :)

I know what you mean about the office foods. Currently I'm a stay-at-home-mom, but I worked an office job for about 6 years (up off of Dublin-Granville Rd.) and every year around the holidays, the office kitchen counter was full of treats. Not just from clients sending things in, but from my co-workers bringing in cookies, candy, leftovers from huge meals, things like that. So I know how hard it can be.

A few treats here and there won't hurt you, but just keep reminding yourself that all those little calories are going to add up. This is what I'm trying to tell myself right now, in fact, because I've been doing so much munching lately and holiday treats are part of it.

yogachick30
I am RIGHT there with you dear! Our team got a HUGH basket filled with chocolate and candy. Everyone has been stuffing themselves silly and they know that I am trying to lose weight and they come up to me with chocolate ozzing from the sides of their mouth saying 'you totally need to try these cookies! They are out of this world!' It is all I can do not to slap them. Just remember that you are in it for the long haul and we need to learn to say no eating that is not a right choice. Trust me the sense of accomplishment you will feel will all be worth it! Good luck and stay positive and strong!

sweetn'crazy
I am in the exact same boat!! Holidays are really hard. We did this secret santa thing at work... and everyday I got sweets! Ugh... :p Oh well I guess we just have to stay strong! Good Luck!

yogachick30
I live in Clintonville!

LLV
12-15-2005, 04:23 PM
I live in Clintonville!
Really? Wow, it's a small world, I guess ;)

I grew up in Dublin, but then moved to Westerville and now I'm waaaaaay out here in Hamilton Twp. And I love it. Both Dublin and Westerville are just too congested for me anymore.

Heather
12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Every time special treats come around the office ask yourself if a couple of minutes of this treat is worth it, in the long run. That question usually stops me in my tracks, and I like the control of making a choice, rather than just saying yes because it looks good.

He likes my big butt
12-15-2005, 04:29 PM
I grew up in Canal Winchester and moved to Westerville 6 years ago. I live in the old houses off of Westerville Rd. It's congested, but I love it out here!! My mother just moved from Dublin to Westerville/New Albany area now, much closer to me now :D . I dated someone who lived in Clintonville....yeah, what a small, small world ;)

Mel
12-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey, this looks like the Columbus thread :lol: My daughter lives in Upper Arlington, can I post?

I work at a gym and clients are bringing me goodies! All the goodies I tell them not to eat are finding their way to MY office (and onto my abs :p ).

I've been moving all the baskets and tins to out of the way places. If I don't see it, I don't eat it :)

Mel

LLV
12-15-2005, 05:00 PM
I grew up in Canal Winchester and moved to Westerville 6 years ago. I live in the old houses off of Westerville Rd.
Oh yeah, in the little uptown Westerville. I almost moved into one of those houses years ago. I worked at Manor Care Nursing Center for many years.

I do some of my shopping at the Canal Walmart.

LLV
12-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey, this looks like the Columbus thread :lol: My daughter lives in Upper Arlington, can I post?
Wow, more neighbors, lol.

annk
12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
I find that it is much harder to taste something and then stop after one piece than to not eat any at all! And remember the saying, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!"

Good luck and wish me good luck at not giving into the big basket of Mrs. Fields' cookies some idiot sent us. :)

Ann:smug:

mehitabelx
12-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Good luck and wish me good luck at not giving into the big basket of Mrs. Fields' cookies some idiot sent us. :)

good luck! we got a basket of Mrs. Fields' cookies at work too. so far i've managed to avoid them. i just keep looking at the nutritional information and telling myself the cookies don't taste *that* good. (the ones i used to make were better!)

i just wish the people here would eat faster! i've had that basket taunting me for over 2 weeks now. lol.

kristin

QuilterInVA
12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm going to continue saying "NO" and on January 2nd I'm going to come in and announce to all of them that I haven't gained over the holiday and listen to them moan about their tight pants.

supernurse_mommie
12-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Today, the doctors brought out the Christmas stuff for the nursing home. My desk ended up taking EVERYTHING on it like a buffett.. So above my head, directly in my line of sight, was cookies, candies and all sorts of goodies! But i perservered, i did not eat ONE Single thing, and did not DIE! (thought i might for awhile though!)

shananigans
12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Every time Iíve walked into the staff lounge this week there has been some candy, cookies, cake, you name it. I find it helps to glare at the food and pretend I really resent that anyone would put something like that anywhere near me. Processed sugary/fatty/empty-calorie food = The Enemy! :s:

kykaree
12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm on a new team who don't know where I've been, so I showed them all my before pics that I have stashed on a website. Now they know what I was like at my highest weight, and have promised to support me. So we have no treats on our team, we are having a team buffet on Wednesday, they two guys are bringing junk, all the rest of us are making healthy food! I have such great colleagues.

chick_in_the_hat
12-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Can a CA girl post in the OH thread? :D My trick is to make myself wait until just before I leave for the day...then I take a couple pieces of candy on my way out the door...that way if I want more it's not around. I work with another office located near Hershey PA...guess what they send every year? The box of chocolate this year was about the size of a desktop computer...one of the big old ones... :mad: This of course is in addition to the baked goods people keep bringing in...my Sugar Free Velamint consumption is a bit out of control but hey it works for me!

KTna
12-19-2005, 09:34 AM
My parents just moved to Dublin over the summer, I LOVE it there! I even thought about moving there, but the timing is wrong right now.

About the office treats. I just tell myself that they taste really bad, or that they must have animal lard in them (I am a vegetarian). They just become off limits for me, and very easy to avoid.

I figure that wanting them in the first place is just a mind thing (I just want them cause I think they will tastegood, not cause I'm hungry) so I go the other way with it.

2frustrated
12-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Just like some-one else said - just think about coming back to work saying, "Well I lost 4lbs over the holidays!" While everyone's groaning about how much they ate!

I was talking with my colleague this morning, I was telling him all the lovely stuff I've bought for Christmas day and he said, "Have you got a trifle? You've got to have a trifle!" I said, "Well I'm only planning on stuffing my face for one day, not the whole 10 days that we're off!" He threatened to weigh me in the New Year! :rofl: Go ahead PUNK - make my day! :D

But if you track stuff in fitday, then put all your food in for the day, see what's left then if you can have a treat. If the calorie quota is full, then it's simply out of the question.

You can do it, when the cookies are calling, come and post! I sometimes start a thread and pour out how much I need a chocolate bar and then I feel much better! :lol:

He likes my big butt
12-20-2005, 09:38 AM
HAHA!!! A client sent us pears yesterday!!! Yeah.....most of it is still sitting at the front desk next to the empty chocolate wrappers. I had a pear though :carrot:

candoitby06
12-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Hope you guys dont mind my posting here....but I am having a horrible time at work the past couple of weeks! I am a nurse at a long term care facility and for whatever reason, the families love to show their thanks in terms of food. Not just any food, but the worst of the worst kinds of food! Nursing is hard anyways because I rarely if EVER get a chance to sit down and actually eat my lunch. Thus leaving me starving!! I will sit down at the nurses station doing my notes and I smell the boxes upon boxes of cookies, brownies, chocolates and cakes. UGH!

I'm dying for someone to bring in a fruit basket.....I'd eat the pears with you!!! If you have a family member in the nursing home....please take note of the size of most nurses....we are not typically thin and trim people because we dont get a chance to eat healthy....BRING US FRUIT! hehe, sorry about ranting there...Bottom line here, I know how you all feel!

Good luck fighting the weight loss demons! You can do it, only a few weeks left of the holidays then its home free!

He likes my big butt
12-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I bought the other day the nabisco 100 calorie snack packs. They have stuff like oreo's and gummies. If I get on a "I need a chocolate fix" I just grab one of them and eat it. It satisfies that chocolate need and they're actually really good!! :carrot: