Old 12-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #31  

Marble, I think you win. But surely you don't have to spend the holidays with him?! And don't you have a lovely mother to even the scales a bit?

Think Metamucil!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #32  
prepare for the BEST time

no I never spend the holidays with him, the 11 year marriage was quite enough, but his image is like a tumor.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #33  

Day 13 SWN, Day 12 WALK

I think it's funny, Carla and Marble's banter about "loved ones" and then minaaa sticks her humble post inbetween all that! Welcome too our wacky group, minaaa! Best wishes for a successful 21 days!

I'm in a bit of a rut lately, even though challenge wise I'm ok. I think I'll have to take my last pause day today for walk, leaving me with a long way to go...I've just been eating too much. My next challenge will have to be a food related one, I think. I guess I'm just waiting for another spurt of inspiration. And I'm too busy and stressed out to focus on anything!!! It's not the holidays, just the hectic weeks in December when the kids have lots of stuff going on. It's my daughter's birthday today!! She is 6.

Carla, I didn't realize you were doing so well!!! Congrats!!
And hello to everyone else out there too!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla49
Curly, if you'd like, I can give you the short version of the diet I'm following (supposedly 1200 cals, but more, I think) which has helped me move that ticker at last. Maybe it would give you the jump start or metabolism boost you need to see some action? Let me know, and I'll PM you..
Carla, could you post a copy or send me via PM, I am curious to see what I can do to jumpstart mine.
Thank you,
C
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 197/191/147

Height: 5'8''

Hello All!

Unfortunately I think I'm going to fail my challenge! Yesterday I went above 1800 by about 40 calories... today was bad. I ate plenty and often but was shaking and moody within an hour of each meal.

Red - I totally agree that processed foods are no good! I don't eat much of them... although have recently replaced some meals with Slim Fast 'cause I like them (shame on me!). But not in the last couple of days when my hunger problem started. I do enjoy a soy drink that contains Splenda and drink a glass a day usually... maybe it is messing me up because it is a liquid?

If I list what I've eaten today... maybe someone will see something I can switch? I'm thinking if I fail the challenge, next round I will do 1800 a day, but I am allowed up to 200 calories more per day the few days before my period.

Here is what I've eaten so far today: Breakfast - 3/4 cup Uncle Sam cereal (organic with flaxseed), 1 Cup Milk, Blueberries, added flaxseed and wheat bran
Snack - .5 Cup Cottage Cheese, Med Banana
Lunch - Chile Con Carne (ground chicken, veggies, beans, sauce), 1 Cup Veggie
Snack - 1 Toast (10 grain organic bread), 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter
2nd Snack - 1 Toast, 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter, 1 cup+ milk, Apple
3rd snack - Pear

Dinner will be chicken picatta, 1 cup+veggies, 1 small potatoe... dessert hopefully only popcorn and 1/2 pomegranite or else I'm over 1800.. actually, I can't even have those 2 'cause I added a cup of milk I didn't mean to have and had more peanutbutter than I originally wanted to. Looks pretty good to me - I should be full! But iss not enough!! Any advice would be great!!

I have always had issues with food just before my period. I tremble, get moody - edgy if I haven't eaten in an hour, hour and a half... and extremely sedate within 20 minutes of eating. I had pretty much fixed the issue by eating nice sized snacks/meals every hour - but being on a diet may be making it tricky for me this month? I dunno!

Red and Alteon - The stores in the US are carrying more whole grain breads and steel cut oatmeal is now being sold in most grocery stories (at least near me, I am near a big city). That said, I don't know that the whole grain wheat bread is the real stuff, but I would guess that what is sold in Whole Foods and Trader Joes is. Also, Giant and Food Lion have health/organic food sections now - usually an entire aisle or more!

Sorry that this post is all dedicated to me and not saying hi and whatnot to others. I pretty much got as far as Red's post and had the idea to post today's menu for advice. I am sooo tired! I slept through the night last night without waking up for a snack. Hopefully tonight I will do the same and I should be golden. Then I will catch up on how everyone else is doing!!
Let's hope I make it under 1800 today!!
Thanks so much!!!

Ees
eesabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #36  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Whee, a new thread.

Haven't had time to post over the past few days... but I've been doing my crunches. Sunday was Day 15... it's Thursday, so this morning I completed Day 19 - almost done!

I think I'll be starting a new running challenge in the next couple days, and another one or two - leg exercises and small weights for arms, or two in one... I'll see.
Need some advice for weights first though... anyone? We have 2 kg and 4 kg weights at home. 4 kgs is a bit much to start with for me, I think. But how many reps, what moves...?
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #37  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Wow, some action here. And I have to get out soon. Had another little nap. I realized the reason I probably was not sleeping well was because I was too cold and I was lying there all tensed up just to keep warm. Added a couple blankets and that did the trick. Dozed off, interesting dreams..okay, up and at the oatmeal, then off to see the horse. I miss her so much when I don't see her...

By the way, mez did contact me. She is apparently going through some personal problems now. I would like to know she is okay though but I think it is not a time she can devote time to a challenge or us. I do miss her though.

ees -- Oh, it's perfectly OK to dedicate your post to yourself as long as you get as far as my post! I don't know what chicken picatta is or what Uncle Sam cereal is but do know that all cereals are high in calories, so you must be careful if you're eating them a lot. You're going to have to cut out peanut butter or at least cut back to absolutely no more than 1T a day. It's very healthful and all, but it is nearly the same as eating butter, in other words, pure fat. I love it and am in the same boat as you. But when you realize that you just tallied up over 300 calories eating it, and it is not going go to do much to give you energy or keep you full (yes, yes, I know fat is satisfying but that is not ees' problem right now) you'd be better to get something with more bulk. As for whole grain breads, unless you are eating things like German Vollkorn Brot, which is pretty strange stuff, not what Americans would even consider bread, you are only getting a mix of whole grain and regular. Of course, that in itself is nothing bad, just trying to find somewhere you could improve to make yourself feel better. You sound to be eating a LOT of food, so if that doesn't do it, then I don't know, maybe you just need to up your overall calorie intake. How tall are you? Also, watch all the added flaxseed. Again, very nutritious, but nuts and seeds are very high in calories. I would cut all this out before your period and then add it in later.

CBETA -- Be careful about "jumpstarting" anything. 1200 calories is WAY too low for you and at the weight you are now you should see nice progress. Too fast is NO good!

Apple -- Glad to see you moving along. Let's not get too ambitious now. Try to get that walk in if at all possible. I know yesterday the last thing I felt like doing was walking. I'm just too depressed these days and though I got out I nearly turned around and went home a few times and that is strange for me. But after a while, I did feel better. I think we focus on our feelings way too much. Then again, you're busy and stressed.... I hope things get easier for you soon. Yes, minaaa gave us a bit of comic relief there. She must be quite brave! Oh, and a happy birthday to your little girl!

Phys -- Ok, thanks for the translation. Yes, I always wonder about those Eastern Europeans not smiling much. Hard lives, bad teeth? A combination? Daily weighing is definitely a no-no unless you can take seeing the scale do major flipflips. I mean that. Weight training..if you're going heavy, will make you sore and being sore will have your body holding water. It's nothing to worry about but it looks and weighs like fat.

minaaa -- Hello there! It sounds like you have a great challenge ready there. Good luck!

marble -- Since Phys has answered your question on miso I won't, except to add that here it usually comes in plastic containers or just in soft packages, not jars. Also, never boil it as that will kill all the good things from the fermentation. I'm a vegetarian so chicken broth is not for me but yes I will watch out for the veggies. As for the walking, walking is ALWAYS a part of my day, the workout would have been on top of that. I usually jog 3-5 km and then do weights and the crunches. The kid at the club is not so much making me crazy as I just don't like the way she rides, so abrupt, so unrefined. My teacher was very, very good. The whole atmosphere at the place is a real downer and I wish I knew another place to go or I wish I could get good enough (this is why I stay) to be able to ride my horse the way I want to. My ex-teacher may come back. She is the owner's wife (very strange relationship they seem to have) and is ill (that is the excuse) and taking leave. But, you are right. Riding should be a pleasure (though it is very disciplined what I attempt to do) and perhaps I should just think, there are other areas I can progress in, other than what I was doing with my old teacher. I am now out in the big ring and concentrating on what to me feels like kid stuff, as I was doing more refined positioning polishing all along in the small ring. But, you need both to get good. It's not doing calculus and then going back to learn the math tables. I have major holes in my learning for many reasons. Grin and bear it perhaps, eh?

Sushi -- Good going on your challenges. What moves are you looking at for your weight training? Just arms? Legs too? Look around the Web for beginning moves. They are everywhere! Or get a book on basic bodybuilding. Also tons of books out there. It's easier than us trying to tell you what to do. I can give you tips once you're doing something, though.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #38  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

hey guys..

yes i think i am making progress even tho the scale seems to be stuck for me now... becuz with my circuit/resistance training everyday... even at my weight of 238 i am wearing size 16 jeans and size 16 clothes... I am 5 foot 6.. but i am also large framed.. so maybe i am replacing the fat with muscles!!!

day 10: ugh only 980 calories cuz i have had a upset stomach today and didnt feel like eating... tho i did manage to get my protein in with the protein powder... just didnt feel like having a lot of food sittin in my stomach..
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:34 PM   #39  
Staying in 1derland!

Ees: the only thing i can see in your menu that could be a problem is your pnut butter... i would try to find a low-carb sugar free type...
and the potato... but thats becuz i dont eat potatoes... (high sugar) they say sweet potatoes are better for u

i would check the amount of sugar in the slim fast as well.. u would be better off making a shake with whey protein powder its better for u and no sugar and the increased protein takes away the hunger...

sugar makes you want to eat more>> bananas are high glycemic .. berries and apples are better for u

just my 2 cents worth... lol

i read somewhere that each gram of sugar is equal to a tablespoon

p.s. be careful with your soy intake.. they have discovered that a lot of soy can mess up your thyroid .. but i guess it would have to be huge amounts..
Old 12-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #40  
Exercise Queen

No Desserts/Treats Day 1
No Chocolate Day 12
*No Soda Day 30 * Challenge Completed* Goal December 25th.

Hi everyone! I still have to make it through rehearsal before I can change my numbers.
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #41  

Sushi, if you can go to the library and borrow Strong Women Stay Slim, (author: Nelson?)there is a 20-min weight program for beginners. It's extremely easy, but is a good place to start, and will give you an idea what size weight to start with. The weights you have should be fine - the 4kg shouldn't be too much for bicep curls, and the 2kg MAY be a little high for triceps, maybe not. The one problem is you get stronger very quickly, and might need to get bigger weights before too long. But the ugly ones (no nice coloured foam covers, just clunky metal) are fairly cheap.

Ees, if you're losing weight on the cal count you're on, why change anything? I'm sure Red would okay a bonus few calories for PMS, especially if you set that as part of your challenge. I looked at what you're eating, and it seems pretty good to me. One caution about the 10 grain bread: multigrains are often NOT whole grain, but white flour with fun stuff added. Even if they are all whole grain, they have a lot more calories than plain old whole wheat (sunflower seeds etc). So it's wise to check the label. And I was ecstatic years ago at WW to discover that cottage cheese (which I hate) is also often fairly hi in calories. I'm pretty sure if you do some research (internet or library) you can find advice on craving-busting food for PMS and TOM. Higher protein should help a little.

I'll give a very abbreviated version of the diet I'm on: each day I'm supposed to eat 1200calories, which I don't have to "count" as calories. I'm allowed:

- 1 dairy (milk, yoghurt..., total equivalent of 170cal)
- 1 restricted veg (beets, carrots, peas, onions... equivalent about 40 cal)
- unlimited free veg (asparagus, lettuce, peppers,green beans... about 20cal)
- 4 fruit (apple, half banana,12 grapes, half mango... about 60 cal each)
- 3 bread etc (1 slice bread, half cup oatmeal, half cup rice, small potato... each serving about 70 cal) No carbs after evening meal.
- 7 meat/protein (1 oz meat, 1.5oz fish, 1 oz cheese, yoghurt, 1 egg, 2 oz tofu,one third cup beans...75 cal) Weigh meat after cooking, remove skin and bones. Recommended: 3 to 7 meals per week use legumes instead of meat).- 3 fats (one eighth avocado, itsp butter, 1 strip bacon, 2tsp PB, 1 tbsp salad dressing etc.... about 45cal each)

I'm supposed to drink 8 cups water, eat every 4 to 5 hours, NEVER SKIP A MEAL, avoid sugar, sweets, alcohol. If I really want a drink, one drink = 1 to 2 breads, depending on cal count.

The food lists are a lot longer, but this should give you an idea. And I've continued a daily FF DQ frozen fudge bar as a free treat. I'm allowed to count caffeine-free diet drinks as water.

And of course, exercise is recommended.

Curly, your diet is already so restricted I don't know what you can do, especially since I know you exercise lots. Maybe if you try a week writing EVERYTHING down and working out the calorie count to make sure there's nothing amiss? Maybe you're already doing that. Could it be you need to eat more, or to see-saw between higher and lower calorie counts? And maybe you just need to grit your teeth and keep on keeping on until you leap off your plateau and lose a lot all at once. Your 50 pounds off pretty much prove you know how to lose!

This is too long already, so I'll save anything else for later. Maybe another salvo in the Toxic Relatives war...

Marble, I love your new avatar.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #42  

Hi everyone!
Looks like everyone is pretty far into their challenges, but I'd like to join in on the "fun" I am a major sugar/dessert addict and really want to get that under control. I also like cereal way too much and eat it all the time, justifying it as healthy since it's whole grain, but I know that much is too much! So here's my challenge...No sugar, desserts, or sugar substitutes for 21 days and only one serving of cereal each day. Ahhh. It scares me just writing it, but I know if I take it one day at a time it will be possible. I look forward to getting to know you all!
TC

Last edited by IDGRL2005; 12-14-2005 at 09:45 PM.
IDGRL2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #43  
Staying in 1derland!

yep carla... that was my thought as well...That perhaps i was over in calories..
thats y my challenge this time is to chart my food in fit day and track my calories everyday.. I also thought maybe i was eating more than i realized.. id say an average of 1350 per day . one day i was near 1400 .. i went and calculated my calories with the bmr formula and it says i should be around 1200... so maybe i need to drop them down a tad,,

i am not sure how estrogen & menapause figures into all this but perhaps thats an issue as well.. But like u say if i keep at it i will bust the plateau..
Old 12-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #44  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Hiya all, what a chatty bunch. I'm on day 10 of my no bread challenge. I'm not even missing it now and missing even less the indigestion I was having.

Can't reply to you all. I'll just go over the few things I can remember.

eesa - I think you need more veges and less bread/ snacks. I'm not a PB fan but I do know it is high in most of the things you are trying to cut down. Substitute some of the fruit for veg as well - since these are higher in sugar. And are you drinking your water? Lots of it. This will stop the cravings for a short period of time. My favourite saying is - If you feel hungry, have a large glass of water, wait 20 mins and if you still feel hungry - eat. If you don't feel hungry then maybe the body was looking for re-hydration and not food. It is easy to mistake those urges.
As far as bread goes, the coarser the flour the better it is for you. Multigrain is indeed refined flour with birdseed in it. I like it, but I know it is not as good for me as wholemeal with seeds. Buy a breadmaker and make your own - uhuh maybe not as you then eat twice as much.

Curly, I think you need to mix it up a bit. 1200 calories are light for the amount of exercise you do. Menopause certainly plays havoc with weightloss so that could be part of the problem too.

Hi to IDGRL2005 and minaaa. Two brave souls to join in the mayhem and madness.

Red - are you sure this is still food poisoning? It is going on a long time. It's always difficult when some one new takes over a training class. Their schedules always look different and the methods always are. Stick with it and do as much practice by yourself (with the horse of course) to stay with the things already learnt. Look after yourself for goodness sake. Forget the challenge and concentrate on getting better. No more HK for you young lady - listen to Mother now!

Carla - with the undies all over the laundry!! Hello. I can't upstage the Christmas guests since I quite like all my family and friends. No gairy fodmothers or step mothers (loud or otherwise). Too far to go back now to glean the other words of wisdom from you.

Outa here on a fast camel. I have things to do, people to see and I guess I ought to do some work as well. That's what they pay me for.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Wow 2 pages during one day. I cannot keep up, guys!
Welcome IDGRL2005 and minaaa, good luck. I know it is much harder to do a challenge over the holidays and I would like to congratulate you on your bravery!
Let me begin by saying hello to everyone, I missed you guys. I read everyday, but because I did not work out yesterday I felt embarassed to post. Until last minute when I fell asleep I kept on thinking about that work out and thinking if I shall get up and go do it, so not to feel so guilty. Well today is a new day. Though I am in a California, it is cold here as well... California type cold - low 50s, or slightly below. Since I did not report in yesterday here is the truth..
This is for Tuesday (yesterday):
For all 3 challenges I took a pause day.
as I said I waited to go to the gym, then got really upset, did not feel like drinking 3rd bottle of water and had 1/2 bannana, 1/2 avacado, 1/3 piece of bread and 1 slice of fat free smoked turkey after 7pm. I was so proud of myself for saying "no, thank you" to some chocolates offered by my manager during the day. She was proud of me as well, and even removed them out of site not to temp me. Yet after eating past 7 those items listed above, I got a small square piece of Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate. I hated myself, but today I am back on track.

Challenge A( 3 bottles of water): Level 2 (-1) - DAY 11 (Dec 14) finished
Challenge C( no food after 7pm): Level 3 (-1) - Day 11 (Dec 14) done.
Challenge B(daily gym - 1h, or some other major physical activity no less than 3 hours: Level 3 (-3) - 2 days accumulated from last week and for yesterday. I don't feel like going anywhere today. After that pasta, and yesterday's failuture, my 3 pound loss of the weekend went out the window. Gosh it takes so little to go wrong and I am back to square one literally. So tomorrow will be a restart of this challenge.

Again today I saw a bag full of toffe, chocolate, and fudge with and w/o nuts by the printer. I wanted it, but it was as if I was in slow motion each time. I came towards them, picked up my print outs and left. Several times in a row. Felt great....Yet, I do think of them and miss them somehow.

Finally also yesterday I got to expressing my guilt and such to my ex. We talked, or rather I cried and he listen trying to make me feel better. He offered me a challenge related to smoking. I am a light one, like just a few cigs a month, for some party if I can bum one from someone.... So he challenged me to quit it for good. The problem is that I kind of like it... But currently due to exercising cannot have any even occasionally as it later screws up my breathing for an entire week when I do cardio. I think I shall take challenge, he means a lot to me, and I know it would mean a lot in his eyes. He himself, with my help went down from reg Parlament to Light, then to reg. Capri (female smokes) to Capri Ultra Lights (I smoke these). Then he finally quit cold turkey for good 21 months ago... and not a single since then.

Oh, oh red...
I just wanted to clarify I was not planning to go down to 1200, I know I need to be around 1800, yet, I am examining what I eat to see if I could do some substitutes. One thing I'd like to do, is to show the 2 types of breads I like and see what you guys think. So far my ratio is low for protein and high either in fats or carbs. Today was the first day I was able to avoid it. How? I replaced rice, potato, pasta, whatever non meat during lunch and dinner. I think I will have to choose either have meat or one of the afformentioned items. Also refined sugar and oil. I use some kind of reduced sweetner, non brand called White Satin. Looks and tastes like sugar. What do you guys use? May be honey in tea is better? I don't drink coffee or carbonated drinks, well very rarely, like may be like 10 times a month. And oil? what do you guys cook on. I use very little of it, but that amount is exactly what tips the scale of my fat to carb to protein proportions. Normally when I make fish or chicken, I put small teaspoon on a large skillet, where I make 3 portions. Brown onion in it and then put chicken breast skinless, fat cut off allover. Once chicken turns white, I add 1/8 of cup of water and then simmer to make sure it is cooked through. How can I go down in oil? (currently 1 tbs, is 120 cals, with 14 grams of fat, into 3 is still 5 grams each time.)

Please forgive me for a long post.
Good luck and have a happy end of the week....
For those sick, feel better.
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote