Old 12-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #16  
Egy Kis Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteaon
In a moment of guilt, I realized that although I post on this site, ask a lot of questions, I don't really show the support I feel for everyone, and I'm sorry for that. I don't want anyone to think I don't care about any of you. Just at times I am bad with words.
I think that I'm in the same boat as you! I feel like I use a lot on this site, but I'm more of an 'answering questions' than a 'giving moral support and congratulations' kind of girl. I really appreciate when people write little comments to me, but somehow it just overwhelms me to try and do the same!

But in the spirit of friends -- HURRAH!!! to everyone! I adore this thread and I love during the day when I check and someone has posted.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:09 PM   #17  
prepare for the BEST time

Day #7---15 mins. of cardio and wts. (i'm definitely working a sweat!)

Day 8-

18 mins. of cardio/wts. I can feel a slight soreness in my flabby buttisimo

I went to ortho doc yesterday and new xrays still show fracture but my mobility has improved. I have more PT exercises to do and was told to do 2 sets of 18 reps. 6 days a week.....HAH! I can only do one set of 6! so I guess I have a ways to go. i am sore, but need to use the arm.

I'm not overeating, but not losing any either, I guess my metabolism just went away.....like coach Carla! I keep eating the RIGHT things like fresh berries/ cantelope and good protein but my body wt. has a mind of it's own

red, sorry to hear about the tummy-ick. Now here is a stupid question....how decent is that *instant* Miso soup taste you can get in the asian markets in the US? I haven't tried it, but am curious as I've had it in restaurants and enjoyed it. thanks for the info.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #18  

The return of the prodigal Carla...

Sometimes I think I disappear from time to time just to see if I'm missed. And I was! You like me! You really like me!!! (Brief Sally Field moment there.)

Day 11 completed yesterday for both challenges. (I was tempted to do a chocolate binge, but did the math and realized that if I use more than one more pause day I'll still be on this challenge on Christmas eve, and on Sunday I have a dinner party, so... I'm determined to finish the challenge this time.)

My buzzer just went off, and I'll have to head to the laundry room soon or risk finding my dainties piled gracelessly on a bench. Yes, it's the dark ages here: when the building was put up 30 years ago, they didn't put in a plumbing system that would accommodate ensuite laundry in the units. So although I have an illegal dryer up here, a washer could too easily cause sink backup in the units under me. It's almost enough to make me move. But I won't. (The old ladies who live here - and I mean REALLY old - love the shared laundry so they can chat and have social contact.)

Anyway, I realized the other day I had actually lost one third of the weight I want to get off! (Hence the chocolate urge - desire to celebrate/sabotage.) It's a little tough right now, as I'm cold all the time, but I can't really say I'm hungry. And that old demon, after-dinner eating, still has me in its sway. At least now I'm munching on fruit and cheese instead of my usual crackers or whatever.

Marble, you're amazing. All banged up and broken, and yet you're still exercising! I'm really glad you're doing well - if I'm not mistaken, you'll need lots of strength for family gatherings in the next few weeks. Have you managed to dig out from under the mountain of accumulated work at the office? As for the weight, if you continue on your virtuous path, you're bound to see a sudden surprise drop one of these days.

Red, dear Red. What a pain to have been sick when you're not even home with your cats and your own "stuff" to comfort you. But you've certainly been posting prolifically, so you're on the mend for sure! I know what you mean about wonderign why we eat all the wrong things when veg is cheaper and often just as easy. Lately I've been buying lots of bagged salad greens (lazy, lazy me!) and I'll just grill some meat or fish (you could use tofu?) and toss it into a big bowl of salad with some crumbled feta and a cut-up apple or pear or some grapes and a few pine nuts and some store-bought caesar lite dressing and it's SO good - and FAST. It has really helped on those nights when I'm hungry but lazy and am on the verge of opting for a big sandwich followed by many bad things. And congrats on those nice tight abs hiding under the winter padding! I'm not ready to start working on the squishy middle yet.

Alt, don't worry about not giving individual messages. I think we all end up writing a message when someone else's post speaks to us, and of course various people find they have a special affinity with other specific posters, and also the longer you hang around the better you know everyone and the more you'll have to say.

Curly, if you'd like, I can give you the short version of the diet I'm following (supposedly 1200 cals, but more, I think) which has helped me move that ticker at last. Maybe it would give you the jump start or metabolism boost you need to see some action? Let me know, and I'll PM you.

Yikes ! My laundry! Gotta run.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #19  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

thanks carla.. there really isnt much more i can take out of my diet, i eat no white flour, no high glycemic foods, no bread, no sugar, watch my carbs ... lmao not much else left.. hahaha
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #20  

Carla, Carla, Carla.....babbling about your lingerie, chocolate and parties. It must be nice to have a real life, SIGH! Of course you are missed! Your posts are filled with lots of fun stuff. Do tell us about the exciting, *everyday exotics* you meet!

I also love lite ceasar dressing, but make it even lighter by adding lemon juice to it. (I think the no poundage lost is the result of sushi and constipation, or it could be stress from constant sparring with the devil-daughter ) Back to salad dressing. Fat-free italian with a splash of lemon/minced garlic and snip some dry (no oil, just dehydrated) sun-dried tomatoes in it a great treat.

I've been doing blackberries, raspberries, kiwi and cantelope every AM (in a desperate effort to help my poor GI tract) and a mini omlette with mushroom, red pepper and FF cheese.....I pick through lunch and do a turkey or chicken (home-made not pre-fab) burger with onion/pepper/mushroom for dinner. I still have the 3 boxes of chocolates that were sent as gifts from 8 weeks ago. no food interest, no fun interest, I'm too tired!

The happy part is I'm getting my NEW furniture for the living room next wednesday!!! I am very excited...(there is no cat hair on it yet either!)
Old 12-14-2005, 03:40 PM   #21  
Egy Kis Lany

Hello all, since I do plan on actually starting some 'weight lifting' in my pilates/lifting challenge, and since I might have to switch to food challenges when this one's over... maybe this isn't too off-topic.
Can you look here
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70280
and tell me what you think?
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #22  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Red face still recuperating....

Good morning, all. I wasn't planning on getting up this early...before 5...but couldn't sleep with too much bothering me, so I got up, but will probably lie down again later....

I am still not totally well (as if I ever will be...) and so haven't started a challenge. I did walk to the gym yesterday and back. I was going to go into the gym and do a very light bit of movement there but then realized I had forgotten my card. Not that that is really a problem (you have to fill out a form) but it was a ready excuse. Having been away, I had moved my card somewhere else. Even the walking was hard in the beginning, but I was feeling good by the end. So that was nearly two hours' total so it was progress. Today, I will try to ride. In any case I will be getting in exercise just getting out to the stables.

carla -- I am glad you decided to come back and see us. Of course we miss you, well, I miss you. Your posts add tremendous warmth and humanness to the thread and I look forward to them with great anticipation! The atmosphere on the thread varies a lot these days. It's not as cozy as it once was, not without our mez and some others. But, I guess it's up to us to set the mood and then just leave it at that instead of trying to react to whatever is out there. This is a problem I am having to deal with now and something that is getting me very down. My teacher of long at the riding club has left and I am forced to work with a kid whose riding and sentiments are totally out of line with mine. It is really bothering me and I have no alternatives that I know of. Sigh. I will just have to learn to set the mood myself as well. Okay, getting off tangent there...

Yes, it was awful in Hong Kong being sick, but I was saved by the kindness of two Japanese friends. One lives there and came over and she and her little boy stayed with me all day bringing me water and juice and a bit to eat when I finally could. The other was at the track and calling repeatedly with reports and comments from the action there, which was a lot better than the Chinese, no-sound 'cept the announcer broadcast on TV. Three of the Japanese four did very well, a first, second and fifth.

All my thoughts about healthy food went down the drain yesterday..well, not totally, but none of the vegetables I bought got eaten. I guess when you're sick, you tend to do "sick" things. Perhaps too the vegetables and fresh fruit, being full of natural roughage, are not really want the body can handle just it, no matter how healthy they may be. My morning oatmeal was wonderful though. That is excellent that you are eating salad greens, and sometimes lazy pre-packaged is the way to do it. You do what gets you there...that is my motto. What you described is the way I normally eat, that is, when I am healthy and feeling full of life. Ah-oh, nice abs will be fading if I don't get back crunching soon.

You ARE doing well with the weight loss, aren't you? You seem to be securely in Onederland. I remember when you were in and out and more out than in. It must feel great (when you think of it) to be under the psychological-barrier mark. I was thinking yesterday I want to do that by the end of the year. Don't know if it's possible but I can try. 70 kgs is my mark, haven't been under it in probably years now. It would be nice, though I know the only reason I'm getting there now is because I've stopped doing much weight training and have dropped muscle weight. Still, as long as I keep moving and get tight and toned and then get the fat off as well, I should be okay. In fact, that's the body I now want, something like those yoga bodies you see everywhere these days, strong and lithe.

marble -- You DO sound like you are getting better every day, eating well and all. Great! About the "instand miso soup taste," I really couldn't say. I don't know what it is, what brand it is. There are all types. You can get soups that are just full of chemical additives and I would think that's probably what those are. Then again, maybe not. I don't think there is any "miso soup taste" though. It probably is real miso, dehydrated. I would try to get some actual miso and just make your own soup. It is probably easier to get used to that way as, by itself in soups, it's not bad. It's mixing it with seaweed and fish-based stock that I think makes it a bit too alien for Western tastes.

Phys -- It's nice to have your support and of course we'd rather have it or not but don't worry too much. It is a bit overwhelming to respond and sometimes I too just don't. It takes a kind of response system to deal with. I copy the posts, make separate files, made a response template and work backwards. But I consider that my obligation as thread starter. Just do your challenge and reap the benefits. You get out what you put in and everyone is looking for something different. BTW, what does the Egy Kis Lany under your name mean? Just saw your last post. I think your plan sounds good. I too need to be fit and toned, not just a smaller, weaker, version of what I was. Weight loss without exercise (and that doesn't mean just a bit of walking here and there) inevitably involves muscle loss and a loss in tone. I wouldn't pay much attention to the scale when you start adding in good exercise. It really does play havoc with the scale. You will likely feel bigger too, because you are stronger. And you may look bigger because you have more presence. But I would focus on measurements and clothes size to measure your progress. Remember, you can always change your posture and appear smaller and weaker if you feel a need.

Fish -- Sounds good with the exercise. At your weight, you're going to need "crazy days" to make a dent. You will feel so good by your cruise. Ah, I miss the hot days of summer....

alteon -- Same goes for you as Phys about posting and support. But remember, you don't have to be "good with words," any will do. Nice going on the blood donation. Yes, I agree with the exercise challengers. I have been reluctant to do one except for the crunches due to time concerns mostly, but also because I probably already get in some sort of exercise every day. It's hard to quantify it and I would probably end up doing the same thing every day for a challenge and that would be tedious and probably too much. The crunches are good. Good luck on doing an exercise challenge yourself. Start small. And, shoveling snow is great exercise!

curly -- I find your situation quite discouraging and am looking forward to the scale moving for you as much perhaps as you are. You'll have to change something, won't you, but I can't imagine what from your reports. Then again, maybe you are changing in other ways that we don't realize, like tightening up, adding muscle...that would possibly not be reflected in the numbers.

stage -- You have achieved liftoff!

Last edited by redballoon; 12-14-2005 at 04:10 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #23  

Marble, if you had to go to the same parties I've been invited to, you wouldn't envy me my social life at all. (How do you spell obligation? p-a-r-t-y.) As for the lingerie, the least said the better. Stretched out and very, very tired, and me too cheap to replace it yet. And since I'm not eating the chocolate, just whining about it, that's no fun either.

As for your demon spawn, I'll see your nasty daughter and raise you one drunken, self-centred, heavily-smoking LOUD stepmother. I just love the holidays - not.

I might try cutting the salad dressing with lemon juice, it sounds good. And I've also been indulging in lots of fruit, especially raspberies when I can find them. As for your GI tract, I know an excessive amount of wine usually gets mine moving nicely the next day. But I don't have a lot of trouble in that area, so I don't really know a lot of tricks, apart from increasing bran and hi-fiber-food intake, drinking lots of water, going to Hong Kong and drinking the water like Red .
Old 12-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #24  

Thanks red....I'll check out the packages/cans of the grocery....What IS "real miso"? ( I'm not an asian food afficienado--but my long time manicurist is twanese, so I can call her, she'll tell me what to buy). I also bought fresh seaweed salad, but it is dressed with sesame and a smokey oil, very good in small amounts (like what you get as an appetizer when you eat Korean in NJ).

Red, I do hope you bounce back soon, a light bland diet is probably better at this time anyway. (chicken broth) Too many veggies might make you cramp. The walk sounded like a better work-out anyway. Don't let the kid make you crazy either, riding should be a pleasure, not stressful.

BTW, where is mez? I hope all is well with her.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #25  

I did send Mez a PM, but got no answer. I know I miss her sweetness and warmth, and want her to come home to us.

Mez, if you're lurking out there, let us know you're all right!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #26  
Egy Kis Lany

If you find any asian market (and a grocery store with a nice international section) you should be able to get miso.

Miso is just a fermented bean paste (much tastier than it sounds!!) and I used to get it in a jar that I kept refridgerated. It was a paste, sort of, and I could add it to hot water or broth and then add in seaweed, mushrooms, tofu, green onions for a 'traditional' type soup, or you can put in whatever you want that will taste good to you!

The miso will settle in the liquid, though, it doesn't 'dissolve' so don't be surprised to have little clouds of miso rise when you stir the soup. Delicious!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #27  

Carla:

I'll see your LOUD, self-centered, heavily smoking step-mother and raise you a 350 lb. X-husband with heavy drug/alcohol use, anger-agression issues, gray hair and a full stomach and beard...(He looks like a VERY angry Santa without the red suit).

I've never had GI problems before like this, but I think a good dose of magnesium citrate might be called for. (that's the stuff you drink the night before you have imaging with injected dye, preferable non-ionic--and must be clean as a whistle for pics.)

I guess a few rounds of oatmeal or shredded wheat are called for too.

Thank you Phys, i think I know what it is now, sounds great! I will look for it.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #28  
Vegan in Training

Default Starting New

I'm making the commitment to get at least 45 minutes of some kind of physical activity into my routine everyday. It can be walking, biking, swimming, pilates, martial arts or powerwalking. Just 45 minutes every day of some type of physical activity. I'm going to make this a level 1 challenge.
Mina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #29  
Egy Kis Lany

Red - Thank you! I'm excited about my new plan, and hope not to freak out too much on the scale. I tend to be a daily weigher, and it might be rough for me. But since I'll be so FREAKING STRONG ARRRRG!!! I think that I'll manage. And "Egy Kis Lany" is Hungarian for "One Little Girl." When I studied abroad and would go to the house of my friends, their parents would always refer to me as the 'kis lany'... not b/c I was little, but b/c I was unmarried. Still a kid until I get hitched, I guess. They also told me that I head really nice teeth. (As it turns out, that was only b/c I smiled so much and no one was used to it.) In other events, I'm sure that now you'll remember to bring your membership card to work out and be all set for the next time, right?!

marble - When you make that oatmeal, add a few tablespoons of ground flax seed. It's yummy and fiber-rific.

Minaa - Woot! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #30  

Phys:

I'm actually hungarian/czech. and just about fell over off my chair laughing, (have to watch I don't break something else). I think your spelling is off...but about the unmarried little girl & "nice teeth"....that is sooo typical. (they also check horses teeth too) What part of hungary, small town, village?