Weight Loss Support - Anyone have weight gain during menstration??

luvshack
12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone has seen a noticable weight gain during their period and if so how long does it normally take to level back out. This is the first time since I started loosing weight that I have seen any kind of gain and it is very discouraging. I am hoping it is because I am three days into my period and that it will disappear in a few days. I have been doing everything the same so I don't know any other reason why I would have a 3 to 4 lb gain???? HELP

josie4
12-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Your body retains water during your mestrual cycle. Many women gain 2-5 lbs during their cycles. It's perfectly normal, and it's only water weight. You should lose the extra weight in the week following your period. :)

LLV
12-12-2005, 05:26 PM
I have been doing everything the same so I don't know any other reason why I would have a 3 to 4 lb gain???? HELP
Water retention. That's all it is. You're not going to gain 3-4 pounds of fat in just a few days :)

luvshack
12-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I really hope you guys are right... I am so bummed about the scale going up that much!!!

icmethinner
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Yep - mine will sometimes go up 8 pounds! and then back down right after. I usually can't even wear the same clothes during that week!

LLV
12-12-2005, 06:58 PM
I really hope you guys are right... I am so bummed about the scale going up that much!!!
We're pros, why would we be wrong?

lol

Seriously, like I said, you're not going to gain 3-4 pounds of fat in just a few days, or even a week. It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound a fat. To gain that much real weight in just a few days' times, you'd have to eat 14,000 calories.

luvshack
12-12-2005, 07:33 PM
LOL!!!! I haven't had 14,000 calories in the last 15 days. I wonder how many pints of ice cream I could eat for 14,000 calories!

LLV
12-12-2005, 07:39 PM
LOL!!!! I haven't had 14,000 calories in the last 15 days. I wonder how many pints of ice cream I could eat for 14,000 calories!
I don't know, but if you decide to do it, let me know - I'll join you!

:D

Seriously, hon, it's just water retention, it will come back off.

teahoney
12-12-2005, 07:50 PM
This morning when I got on the scale it showed a gain of 2.5 pounds and I knew that couldn't happen overnight. Then I checked the calendar and realized that my dear Aunt Flo is due any day now. So you definitely will show a weight gain but it'll gone just as fast as it came.

kaplods
12-12-2005, 07:57 PM
I can gain up to 12 lbs in water weight (I do weigh over 300 lbs, but it's still quite a shock). I also have terrible cravings during my period, so I have learned not to weigh myself that week at all (otherwise, I get depressed at the gain, eat what I shouldn't, and therefore keep a couple of those pounds that would otherwise disappear on their own).

Colleen

angel-eyes
12-13-2005, 08:50 AM
You're kidding right? EVERYTIME!!! Please don't get discouraged, its just a girl thing and the next week you'll see a WOOSH!!!;)

Lissa68
12-13-2005, 08:52 AM
OMG, I go up 10 lbs every single month... fun huh? I gain the weight about a week before the period and then it goes away (lots of hmmm peeing lol) as soon as it starts so its good. Just freaks me out at first "is it the period or did I gain that weight!" and I spend that week giving myself pep talks "Its just the period, it will go away soon".

JigglyBits
12-13-2005, 09:07 AM
I get that too!!.. I'm just wondering, how long before the period does the water retention start? 'cause I'm about a week away from my period and I'm not sure if those 1.5 pounds I gained are water or fat?

luvshack
12-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Well, I am glad to see that I am not alone in this!!!! I did see a slight decline today but still not the whole gain...but I still have a few days left soooo hopefully I will be back on track in no time.

kaplods
12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
It always frustrated me when I was on WW or other weekly weigh-in groups, because I wanted to shout "This week shouldn't count!"

Colleen

lucky_me
12-13-2005, 01:51 PM
That's ok, we all gain weight from water retention around that time- I seem to gain mine a few days before and a few days during my period. I hate it because I can just feel my fingers and face get kind of puffy. :(

If it bothers you, you should try drinking some warm lemon water. Whenever I feel kind of puffy- I will make some green tea and squeeze some fresh lemons in it. (Don't use that concentrate stuff, it has salt in it for preservatives and will just make it worse.) It really does do wonders. Also, just try and avoid salt as much as you can. :) I am doing LA Weight Loss, and they suggested getting this Lite Morton salt, it has like half the sodium of table salt- and you really can't taste any difference. You can get it at any grocery store. It helps a bunch. Well, hope that helps! :D

luvshack
12-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Okay guys, good new... my weight finally went back down to normal!!!! I hoped it would go below normal since I only lost a pound last week but hey I am not complaining!!!!!

NowOrNever!
12-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Oh yes! Usually 4-5 pounds for me every month. I'm on the Pill to try to regulate my hormones (looooooooong story). Glad I'm not the only one who got incredibly discouraged with WW because of this too ;) Because the Pill at least gives me SOME predictability (although not this last month) my master tracking sheet for my weigh-ins actually rates each week as "green" (a week totally unaffected by period water gain), "yellow" (might be affected), or--my personal favorite, NOT--the "red" week where progress not only stops but may record in the wrong direction. Knowing that it's water gain is one thing, but there's still the psychological power of the scale, and darn it all, I just can't give up my weigh-ins. BUT....with the stoplight sort of color scheme, I expect very different things from each weigh-in and look forward to my two "green" weeks each cycle :-)

I use the stoplight system to adjust my expectations by week too since I also fight incredible hungry during a red week so at most, my goal those weeks is to maintain if possible and on calorie intake, I usually allow myself to go up to my active metabolic rate if I need to so that I don't end up in a binge mode.

konstine
12-14-2005, 12:47 AM
I usually go up 4-7 lbs, depending on what I've eaten, etc. I try to stagger my weigh-ins so that I don't weigh in when it's 'that time' :P

It's gone within a week (as is the bloat). I find taking an ibuprofen and drinking lots of water can help with cramps and bloating, and staying hydrated always helps, overall.

Just my .02$

BeezKnees
12-15-2005, 10:35 AM
I try to stay off the scale when Aunt Flo is here and for about 2 days after I stop. I'm always 2-4 pounds heavier.

emerald dragonfly
12-15-2005, 10:20 PM
I always gain weight when on my period. Actually, just before my period, & during, and a couple days after. I usually gain 8-10# then in about 1 week, I loose it all.
I don't eat anything different but I just found out I am pre-menopause. My doctor says some women have a history of weight gain during these "horrible" years. I say,"BRING IT ON!" :carrot: LOL!!

*LOVE THIS SITE!*

emerald dragonfly