General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #1  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Default Any other options? I need to lose weight!

Im just wondering, I really need to loose close to 70-100 lbs and i have tried every diet in the book, i don't want to count calories the rest of my life and be on a scrict plan! it never works for me! From people that have knowledge in this department... or that have been there, is there anything i can do without being on a specific plan or diet? that would really help me succesfully lose weight? i would love any and all opinions! thanks- kimberly
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #2  

I strongly recommend you read Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Loss Solution. You don't have to count calories or carbs or anything. If you have issues with overeating, especially if they stem from emotional reasons (bored, lonely, sad, etc.) then this might really help you. He offers simple, straightforward advice on nutrition and exercise and lots of behavioral changes that really help.
IDGRL2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #3  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

You could also start out by making gradual changes that will be for life. If you drink a lot of non-diet soda (like I did), cut back to one a day. Then maybe 3 a week, etc. Eventually you can cut it out altogether. I literally started by ending my relationship with Coke and replacing the sugar in my tea with Splenda. I think small changes over time is much easier than replacing a lifetime of eating habits all of a sudden. At least that's how I had to do it.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #4  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Okay, imo, to lose weight successfully and keep it off you have to do *some* kind of counting and tracking. It doesn't have to be calories, it could be portion size, or type of food but you have to at least have a good estimate of what you're consuming each day. And you do have to do it "for life" if you want the weight to stay off.

The other 1/2 of the equation is exercise. You need to move your body on a regular basis. People do lose weight cutting back on food alone, but it's so much easier and more sustainable if you meet your metabolism half way by getting some exercise.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #5  

I totally agree, i want to lose weight so bad, SO BAD!! i just don't want to have another unsuccesfull diet gone wrong know what i mean!? I will have to check out dr.phils book i want to excersize and eat right, i just don't know what to eat?! maybe i do need a plan i just don't know wich there are sooo many! im so confused right now i wish someone would just tell me what to do !
Old 12-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

It's hard to give suggestions because I don't know why those things didn't work for you. I know that personally when I tried different things and they didn't work, it was because I didn't stick to it like I was supposed to, it was just too unrealistic for my lifestyle or I didn't give it enough time. If you don't think that for you it's any of those things, maybe you should go to a doctor to see if you have any sort of thyroid or metabolic problem so you don't try in vain. I myself count calories, but I love it, it isn't a chore for me at all and I know it's definitely not for everyone.

You don't have to necessarily be on a strict set plan, but you do need to have some sort of guidelines for yourself. You truly have to be ready for a commitment to yourself and make changes in your life. You could try every "diet" and plan in the world, take every diet pill and go to 100 different gyms and never see any results if you don't change the habits that got you to where you are in the first place. No matter what the diet or exercise plan is, it more or less comes down to burning more calories than you take in everyday (or most days at least).

I wish you the best of luck!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:45 PM   #7  

thanks for your luck, i need it all also i did go to the doc and everything is fine, she recommended weight watchers and south beach, i did weight watchers and i liked the food and did loose some weight i just gave up like i do everything i know i need some sort of battle plan i just don't know what will be the right one! maybe counting calories? do you just count cals or do you count fat's carbs ect... as well? what do you do to keep yourself on track? thanks for all your posts!
Old 12-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysmommy
I totally agree, i want to lose weight so bad, SO BAD!! i just don't want to have another unsuccesfull diet gone wrong know what i mean!? I will have to check out dr.phils book i want to excersize and eat right, i just don't know what to eat?! maybe i do need a plan i just don't know wich there are sooo many! im so confused right now i wish someone would just tell me what to do !
Something I've learned is that everyone has to find something that works for them...and as I said in My Big Fat Weight Loss Secret, there WILL be hard work and sacrifice involved.

There are probably an infinite number of 'diet plans' out there, many being marketed as "the EASY way to lose weight". Sure, the theory is pretty easy - it really boils down to 'calories in/calories out' and making PERMANENT lifestyle changes, not just being on the Diet Of the Month for a set period of time - the way you eat and exercise to LOSE weight is going to be the same thing you'll have to do to MAINTAIN the weight loss.

Knowing "what to eat" isn't rocket science - emphasizing whole foods - or foods closer to their original form - is a no-brainer, at least IMO. Most people know that stuff like cookies, candy, cakes, fast food, fried foods, etc are not going to help you lose weight (even the ones that are marketed as "diet" or "light" or "fat-free" or "low carb" - just look at the label and you'll notice that a lot of those 'healthy' snack foods have almost or just as many CALORIES as the regular ones).

One of the great resources available on the Internet is the US Governments' 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans which can be found at http://www.nutrition.gov/ . (BTW, I also highly recommend Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution book...some really great information there!)

But as I've said before and will say again..."Nothing worth having comes easy". or "Success is the product of hard work and persistence". If you truly want to lose weight 'so bad', it's going to take WORK and dedication to attaining your goals, no matter what plan you choose or how much money you spend trying to lose weight. You will STILL need to monitor your food intake - whether it be counting calories or exchanges or points. Overwhelmingly, those who are successful at losing and maintaining weight loss have kept some sort of a 'food journal' for much of that time, as well as completely revamping their way of eating (changing what kinds of food are eaten, controlling portions, etc)- along with making daily exercise a regular habit.

Again, it comes down to self-education, weeding out the pseudo-diet crap (usually shoveled out by the truckload courtesy of the weight loss profiteers who you see so often on infomercials, but also available in overabundance on the internet), setting attainable, measurable goals, and commitment to making permanent healthy lifestyle changes.

Yup...it's hard work...but the rewards are very rich indeed!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #9  

I agree and thank you for your post, i know it's going to take alot of hard work, I just am lost as to which way and or wich diet to follow... i want to do this i just don't know how! i know the basics and the Duh factors like to brownies and ice cream for breakfast! i just don't know if i should follow a plan or what does calorie counting work in the long run? i guess i will keep searching for my right match! thanks! Kim
Old 12-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #10  

South Beach is a good plan..but bottomline its CALORIES that count. And going on local plans like WW end up in regain alot of the time. How many people do you know who lost weight with WW..and how many kept it off. I know one.
I like Calorie Queens..you figure out the amount of calories you can eat to maintain your ideal goal and go for it...if you cant stick to it..well then you are not going to make it no matter what play you are on.
So far its working GREAT for me..
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote