Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:24 AM   #1  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

Default Living with Type 2 diabetes

Hi ladies,

I was wondering if some of you wonderful girls could give me some advice. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes many years ago, and have pretty much done my best to ignore the fact that I have it ever since. I've decided to start working out and eating properly and taking care of myself, again, but how do you ladies cope with diabetes. How do you prevent burn out? It is such a huge thing with me, and I really hate it, and still have not gotten over the fact that I have it. Help please.

Kathy
kathyhegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #2  

Hi Kathy,

I'm 27 and have had Type 2 Diabetes for 6 years and was diagnosed with pcos when I was 16. I managed to stave off medication for the first 2 years by constantly exercising at any chance I could and really strict calorie counting but then I realised that the trick with Diabetes is not to try and fight it but to work with it.

I stupidly went on fad diets for a year and at the end of that year in the christmas I started on the South Beach Diet as recommended by a friend who's diabetic, only to find out it's not very handy when you walk to and from work 30 mins each way every day and I started to get ill and it's winter.

I piled on the pounds trying to keep my carbs up enough to do my walking every day and running around work carrying pc's etc but I didn't quite know when to stop the comfort eating.

I then found my saviour 2 years ago the Glycaemic Index that I had read about in a Diabetes UK magazine. I've always been quite a muscluar person underneath all the fat and when I went on the glycaemic index the fat very slowly (like magic) melted away. I'm on a background insulin injection once a day and 3 tablets of Metformin 300g a day, one with each meal. I have successfully managed to cut out all processed foods (apart from peanut m&m's - gotta have some kinda weakness) and I set every Sunday as my baking day so that I have a routine, I make my mixed seed bread, choc nut brownies or almond cake, hummus and homemade coleslaw evry single week as then it's all set up for a week at work - they areall my own recipes through experimentation and have not made me gain weight or put mysugars up so I guess they work. I've stayed at my happy-body-weight at 160lbs now for a year, I have a little pouchy tummy but at least it's a little more space to inject with :0)

I hope you manage to cope as well as I have and find a dietthat sits well with you. I'm writing a recipe book at the moment that has all my bread and mid morning treat recipes etc. I find that using whole nutsin my baking recipes keeps the cholestrol down as well and I stick to extra virgin olive oil for cooking.

Pen
pennyjnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #3  

I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes 2 and I'm overwhelmed by all the things which need to take place. I have learned to use my meter and check my insulin level...this morning I was at 139 before breakfast. I never quite know to take that as bad...it's a little high but not too bad.

I am walking again and doing aerobics. I have lost 4 lbs. since I've started cutting the sweets out. I really miss that but I drink Diet Rite when I really want something tasty. I do get sugar free treats, too.

I've started doing more exercises - I do Leslie Sansone and Gin Miller. I am pulling out "Sweatin' to the Oldies", too. I like the first tape.

I am thankful that I don't have to take insulin. My doctor said she'd check me in about 6 weeks to see how I'm doing. I hope that I can follow a diet. I am using the Glycemic Index, too, in checking on foods.

Good luck!

Cyl
Cyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #4  

Hi. im rosey from alaska.. and ive been posting with a nice group of people in another diabetes#6 group.. we all support each other..ive been a diabetic for 5 yr now.. and i still struggle daily sometimes.. it can be overwhelming..just take it one day at a time..make small changes and small steps.. and pretty soon it will be like breathing sorta..its a continuing learning process and i can relate to your frustrations.. none of us like change..but it helps to share ideas and frustrations..check our group out..and ((((((hugs)))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #5  

Support is the best thing for anyone who has a disease/illness. Stay strong, eat right, and remember: YOU CAN DO IT!!!! We're here for ya'.
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/270/200

Height: 62 inches

Hi ladies my name is Sherri, I live in a small town in Western New York, Elba. I to have Diabetes type 2, I've been diagnosed for almost 10 years now and am on oral meds. My weight has crept up and now have to be very careful or my DR will put me on insulin. Myh husband and I purchased a treadmill as a family gift for Christmas, the girls both wanted one also, we all can work on losing wt. Presently my weight is at my all-time high 250#, I have lost 3# since finding this site, my sister led me to it. Really sounds like a bunch of fun people to talk to and get to know.

It really is a process to find out what you can and can't eat. Basically you can eat everything everyone else eats just watch the portions. I am also a RN of 25 years and know better what can happen if the numbers are too high.
I think with everyones encouragement we all will succeed.
nrsldy is offline   Reply With Quote