Old 12-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #1  
LLV

Question How many calories do you normally eat for breakfast?

I'm thinking I don't eat enough calories for breakfast. Not that it's caused me any problems or anything, but if I go over 250 calories at breakfasttime, I feel I shouldn't have done that.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #2  
Egy Kis Lany

I usually make a breakfast of about 350/450 calories and then eat half before I go to work and the other half at my desk after I do the morning report -- about an hour and a half later.

It's hard to be creative, though, I have to eat something that packs well. Lately I've been cooking egg beaters with various things and stuffing a whole wheat pita -- I eat half at home and the other half of the pita wraps up in plastic really easily for later. It's not messy at all.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysDom
I usually make a breakfast of about 350/450 calories and then eat half before I go to work and the other half at my desk after I do the morning report -- about an hour and a half later.

It's hard to be creative, though, I have to eat something that packs well. Lately I've been cooking egg beaters with various things and stuffing a whole wheat pita -- I eat half at home and the other half of the pita wraps up in plastic really easily for later. It's not messy at all.
Hey, that's a good idea

I found some really great recipes online for pitas. I buy the whole wheat pitas myself and stuff them with anything I can think of.

What I really miss is egg salad. But I don't miss all the fat and calories from the egg yolks and the mayo.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Very interesting question. I have bascially 3 breakfasts that I rotate, so I went to Fitday and put them in. Here's how they come out:

#1 - 275 calories
2 scrambled eggs
whole wheat toast
Laughing cow light CHeese

#2 - 521 calories
1 cup cheerios
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/6 cup Craisins
1 oz walnuts
whole wheat toast

#3 - 552 calories
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (cooked with 1 cup water)
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/6 cup Craisins
1 oz walnuts
whole wheat toast

I never thought about the eggs being that many fewer calories. I don't track my calories every day (often just WW points), and when I do, I just put in the whole day, not breaking down each meal.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:33 PM   #5  
LLV

Those sound like yummy breakfasts
Old 12-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #6  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I seem to run around 300 calories, and then I have a Tall, skinny, sugarfree nonfat latte around 10 am (+/- a half hour)--the cup of milk in the latte really gets me to lunch (my mornings are usually pretty high in protein and that seems to get me through without many snacks needed)

My most frequent breakfasts:

#1--290 calories
1/2 c (uncooked) oatmeal with Splenda and
1/8 cup craisins, and
2 Morningstar breakfast links

~300 (depending on the fruit)
2 toaster waffles (there's an eggo version that is 50 cal each)
sugarfree syrup & some semi-margarine substitute
Fruit (my favorite is a pile of strawberries sliced on top of the waffles)
2 Morningstar links

The vegetarian versions of processed meats--especially sausage--are really very excellent substitutes if you've never tried them. I don't avoid eggs on purpose btw, just have never liked them (unless baked into something).
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #7  
9.95 + S & H

My breakfast is 360 calories, then I have a 100 calorie snack at 10:00 that gets me to lunch.
This is my one and only breakfast I eat:
1/3 cup Hodgson Mills Multi Grain hot cereal w/Flaxseed and Soy
1 cup 1% milk
1 container Yoplait yogurt

I cook the hot cereal in the milk then add the yogurt. I change the yogurt flavor for variety.
PsycoPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 PM   #8  
Movin on down the scale

mine runs approx 300 cals then 1-2 hrs later i grab a peice of fruit for another 60-100 cals
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #9  
LLV

I can't eat fruit

Not because it bothers me or anything, but because I don't like any of it.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #10  
Meg

I shoot for five meals a day, all about 250-300 calories, all with some protein. I eat two 'breakfasts', usually - one around 7 am (after cardio) and one around 10 am. Generally one of the two is oatmeal with a scoop of chocolate protein powder (150 + 110 = 260 calories) and the other is one whole egg mixed in with 1/2 cup of Eggbeaters and oatmeal with cinnamon and Splenda (75 + 60 + 150 = 285). Boring? Nah, I never get tired of them AND both meals fill me up -- very important!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #11  
Egy Kis Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
What I really miss is egg salad. But I don't miss all the fat and calories from the egg yolks and the mayo.
My mom told me about 'egg salad' that she's been making with hard-boiled egg whites, fat free/low fat mayo, and curry powder (plus some other spices, I guess). Could you try that?

I think that the egg beaters website also has a recipe for egg salad using their product.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysDom
My mom told me about 'egg salad' that she's been making with hard-boiled egg whites, fat free/low fat mayo, and curry powder (plus some other spices, I guess). Could you try that?

I think that the egg beaters website also has a recipe for egg salad using their product.
Hey, thanks for the tips, I'll check it out

I thought about doing the chopped egg whites, I just haven't yet. Maybe I'll try that.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #13  
Cynical RedHead

My "standard" breakfast during the week is 195 calories: it is 1/4 cup eggbeaters/all-whites; 1 slice canadian bacon; 1 thin slice cheese (bet. 60-70 cal. depending on type); and 1/2 english muffin.

On the weekend I usually have a serving of oatmeal (whole, slow-cook oats - 150 cal.) with 1/4 cup fat-free milk and 6 strawberries - it is about 190 calories.

Every day, usually 3-4 hours after b'fast, I will have either a piece of fruit, or a big can of v-8.

I just can't eat a big breakfast. It makes me feel sick. I have only even been eating breakfast for the last 4 or 5 months. I had to force myself to have anything in the morning for the first month of that. I try to have a bigger lunch around 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Re: egg salad. I wonder if you could just make it with, say, 1/2 the yolk? That would give you a lot of the flavor without all the stuff you don't want. A
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishWoman
I just can't eat a big breakfast. It makes me feel sick. I have only even been eating breakfast for the last 4 or 5 months. I had to force myself to have anything in the morning for the first month of that. I try to have a bigger lunch around 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
That was my problem too. I went years without ever eating breakfast, so that was one of the biggest things for me to overcome. I can't eat much in the morning either. In fact, I still have mornings where I just can't eat at all, so for those mornings I keep Slimfast Optima (less sugar) and packets of instant breakfast hanging around.