Cooking Hints & Miscellaneous Info - How to make oatmeal more filling!

View Full Version : How to make oatmeal more filling!

pearshape
12-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Ok, I don't know about you ladies but IMO 1/2 C of oatmeal is just not enough to fill me up sometimes. But, whenever I start the day out with steel cut oats I seem to lose weight. So, the other day I added 1/4 C pure wheat bran to the oats b4 I stuck it in the microwave. YUMMY! It was filling and gave it a nice nutty sweet taste. Plus the fiber is so good for you. I just thought I'd share this tip since I know several on here mention that they eat oatmeal for b'fast. In 1/4C wheat bran there are 30 calories and 7g of fiber. Plus all the vitamins and phytochemicals that are so good for you!!

(this isn't technically a recipe so I posted it here, hope thats OK)

Yogini
12-06-2005, 08:57 AM
You are right and it's good! Oat bran works too! I pre-mix oat and wheat bran fiber with my oatmeal and add in 1 T of ground flax to each serving before eating. This is a great way to get fiber in and fills me up for HOURS!

ledom
12-06-2005, 09:21 AM
This adds to the calories but makes it a complete meal. I have it every morning for breakfast. 1/2 c steel cut oats w/ 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 c cottage cheese and 3 or 4 sliced strawberries all mixed together. It holds me until noon.

Yogini
12-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Yes, ledom...the way I prepare mine it works out, calorie and nutrient wise to be a lot like yours. I just didn't mention it because I'm not sure it's on program for this forum (I rarely post here...I am a calorie counter ;) ) but here's what I do...I cook my mix of oat bran, wheat bran and oatmeal in fortified soymilk (reduced carb, fiber added Vitasoy Complete) and add in blueberries, raspberries or dried cranberries (or other lower-GI dried fruit), a few nuts (usually walnuts) and then mix in the flax when it's all done. It's soooo good! I may add a little agave nectar or stevia to sweeten and then I enjoy it!

ledom
12-06-2005, 09:36 AM
That sounds good - I didn't even notice where I was posting. Guess I should pay more attention.

Ruthxxx
12-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Protein powder, fruit and lf cottage cheese are all fine for Phase II. Enjoy!

djett626
12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Do you have to get steel cut oats at a specialty store? I have never seen it at the grocery store.

Ruthxxx
12-06-2005, 10:35 AM
I get steel cut at the bulk food store but the old-fashioned large flake rolled oats (Quaker) is fine too.

ledom
12-06-2005, 10:44 AM
I find irish oatmeal or swedish oatmeal (both versions of the steel cut grind) at my local supermarket in the health food section.

H-ko
12-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Djett - the brand you're most likely to find (around here, at least) is McCann's Irish Oats. If you can't find them at a local store, try asking them to stock them - if that doesn't work, I think you can order them online. I think I've seen Scottish oats around here somewhere too. We have a lot of Brits, Scots, and Irish folk in Seattle, so a lot of places carry British Isles products (PG Tips!).