Support Groups - "Every-Day" 21-Day Challenge -- Make it a habit!!

Pages : [1] 2

redballoon
11-30-2005, 04:32 AM
Okay, everyone, as is the tradition, I start a new thread when I personally start a new challenge.

Below is a short explanation of how this challenge works so all you newcomers can take a look and decide if you're game or not! I hope you are! Hop aboard and enjoy the ride. We've got a great bunch of supportive people, so I hope you'll give us a try. A lot of people try for a while and then disappear.. I hope some of you will keep trying. There is NO shame in starting over. Remember, it's not over till you give up. And our motto around here is:

NEVER GIVE UP!!...Just start OVER!!

EXPLANATION:

It works like this: you decide you'll do something for 21 days straight, every single day, so keep it doable. Then you count ....one through 21.....and if you flub it, you MUST go back to zero and start over again. Everyone will be on different days. You can start anytime. At the beginning of the challenge you declare what level it is -- Level 1, 2, or 3. Level 1 means you feel it's a relatively easy challenge for you and means you only give yourself ONE pause day (see explanation of pause days below). Level 2 would give you two pause days and so on...

With a pause day you pause in your counting and continue the next day with the number you left off with. Pause days are NOT substitutes for days, i.e. Day 12 -- Day 13 -- Pause Day -- Day 14..... I suggest taking a pause day late in the game (better to go back to Day 1 early on) if you need a break or screw up when you're well into the challenge, meaning, when you're on Day 15 or something like that.

In any case, the trick is to keep going. The momentum builds and it's great incentive to stick to your guns, cause if you don't.........back to START you go. :( And the really great thing about this challenge is that you are forming new habits that will wipe out the old! AND, you get to do it with a great bunch of really supportive people to whom you are accountable! :grouphug:

Please join us!! :wave:

redballoon
11-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Hey, all. I am declaring a stealth start and calling this a wrap on Day 2 of my new challenge. My challenge is making my Shad challenge (with a slight change) official. And that is to do 10 sets of 20 crunches of any kind (any exercise that works the abs or obliques) every day for the next three weeks. AND I am declaring this a Level 1 Challenge, which means I am giving myself only ONE pause day. There should be absolutely no reason why I can't knock out these crunches at some point in the day. I will likely have to try to do them first thing in the morning on days there is a chance I will be out "on the town." ;)

Remember, when you set your challenge, you declare what level it is. This way, you can give yourself a harder challenge and get the extra pause days right away. And, you can do an "easy" challenge and make it harder. Remember, you are the judge. You must know what is hard and what is not so hard for you. Then commit to it!

curlylocks
11-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Apple: I think u need to look at your challenge like this>> If you have a hard challenge and you make it 10 days and have to start over that is not failure... thats 10 days that you MADE it! thats 10 days that you did something positive for yourself..
So we start over.. no biggie.. the important thing is Not to give up!

SillyFluff
11-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Okey I'm gonna have to restart once again. I'll have to make this really simple, cuz I just can't seem to stick to my plan. My challenge will be post here daily. Letting you all know I updated my FitDay. So actually my challenge is updating my FitDay everyday. ANyhoo. I feel like such a loser. I just can't stick to anything. Working, taking care of my ill boyfriend, and now I'm coming down with a head cold. Blech. Talk to you ladies later on. I have a long day today...Good Ol' Split Shift. Blech again. Byeeee

PhysDom
11-30-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm in for it!!
My Challenge:

To do either Pilates or some weight training *EVERY SINGLE DAY* starting today. This is day one... I think that this is a level three challenge, b/c this is the thing that I've had the hardest time with -- regular working out.

stagemomx3
11-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Both of my challenges are level 1

No Soda Day 16
Abs Day 11

I want to start a new challenge, but I am still deciding what I want to do.

FishWoman
11-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone! Yesterday was day 14 of ACE. I am not going to assign a level to this challenge as I am 2/3 through and still have 1 pause day remaining from the original rules:p I like the idea of levels though.

I know some of you have been considering making this a strictly challenge-related thread rather than a chatting thread. If I may add my two cents, I really enjoy the chatting/support aspect of this particular group. Nothing against Miss Curly, but if we all are just posting day 1 done, day 2 done, etc., I know that I would probably stop, and then would probably not do the challenges either. I like hearing about how you all are doing, both the good and bad times.

Of course, this may be because I haven't found another *chatting* thread here in which I feel comfortable, and I don't want to lose what I consider to be *my* group of friends :hug: At any rate, please take that into consideration before declaring this a strictly challenge, no conversation thread.

Shad
11-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, we could always have a 21 day chat and a 21 day challenge threads. Nothing to stop that. I tend to agree Fish that if I don't or can't justify the days challenge I like to mull it over for others to tell me where I have gone wrong or to point out a potential fix that I may not have thought of. And in case you hadn't noticed, I also like to put my two cents worth in.

curlylocks
11-30-2005, 02:28 PM
HEY I CHAT also!....

redballoon
11-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Good morning all! Just popping in to clear up the apparent confusion. Fish, Shad, I, for one, :judge: certainly was NOT considering declaring this a no-chat thread. I was just pointing out that the chatting seems to cause some people to lose sight of the challenge and that we mustn't let that happen!! I think the chat is what makes it a great thread and I am your biggest chatter at times. :blah: :blah: I just said, if it's going to be one or the other, never lose sight of the challenge and the structure it offers. Chat away, please!! :sunny: And curly, you are -- relatively speaking -- the quietest person on here. But you are just fine and we love you! :hug:

Apple Blossom
11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone!
First of all, thanks to Red and Curly for your advice and support. I'm actually excited to start up again!
And about chatting, well, I'd miss you all if we stopped! It's optional, and we all know that. There are days where I just don't have the time! I don't think I can handle another thread so lets keep it here. Please!:hug:
My new challenge is, well, complicated. Sort of.
I want to complete the last challenge. Sit-ups and arm weights, no eating after dinner. And I'm going to have a second challenge of walking 30 min a day. I know I won't lose any weight if I don't get moving.
And, unrelated to the challenge, I'M ON A DIET!!!!
We're shooting for a pound a week.:coach:
Maybe I'll get an earful about keeping it simple:listen:
but I think this is the only way to get my act together. Plus I'm feeling super motivated today. So here we go.
Level 2 challenges by the way.
And now I'm really going to wimp out by saying tomorrow, Dec 1st, is day 1. Because it will be easier to count.;)
Thanks guys! Lets JUST DO IT!!!!

FishWoman
11-30-2005, 04:03 PM
And now I'm really going to wimp out by saying tomorrow, Dec 1st, is day 1. Because it will be easier to count.;)
Thanks guys! Lets JUST DO IT!!!!

Apple Blossom - That is funny. This morning my husband, who thought today was the first, tells me that he is going to try to quit smoking again. He says he had rationed his cigarettes out yesterday to be practically out this morning. Then, when i tell him tomorrow is the first, he lights up. I'm like, um, why don't you just stop today like you were prepared to do? His reason? Because if he starts on the 1st, he will know exactly how many days he hasn't smoked:D

Curly - we know you chat:) just not as much as oh, let's say, Carla:p (BTW, feel free to substitute Carla's name with mine, Red's, or Shad's:D )

Shad
11-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Good morning.

This is the last day of this challenge. I'm on day 21. I'm trying to sort out a new one but the brain is refusing to think of anything other than the flab today so I will simply start day 1 of the Abs/crunches that I have been doing over the past couple of weeks. I have to learn to let go of what has been and concentrate more on the to be!

So today is:
- Day 21 of calories, water, exercise at gym (done for the week)
- Day 1 of abs and crunches - which are not yet done. Level 1.

Have a good day everyone. It's December 1 where I live. Where does the year go to in such a hurry. The dreaded silly season is now well and truly upon us.

derrydaughter
11-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Day 1, starting over.
I made it to day 16, and then there was Thanksgiving. Here I am again. Day one of my NEW challenge.
It's back to WW for me and I am journalling and doing it all. So, my challenge is to journal and to stay on program. I totally CAN do this.
Linda
EDIT: My challenge is a level 2, this is going to be very HARD....

curlylocks
11-30-2005, 07:55 PM
day 18 woo-hoo think i will finally make it to 21 again !!!

1 hour of circuit training!!

Fonty
11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone,
This sounds like a good place to start here. I am new and am interested in creating several great habits. Replacing them with some rather bad habits. So I would like to start with a level one challenge . I want to drink 8 16 oz glasses of water every day.so starting 12/1 i will drink glug glug glug

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/slider-but3/lb/224/150/218/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :carrot:

I Will Succeed!
11-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Well this is my first time posting here but I think this sounds like a great idea. I am also going to cheat and make tomorrow day one - but only because it is so late in the day. If I made today day one I would just have to start all over tomorrow because I would fail today :o .

I am challenging my self to drink 64 oz. of water every day. This has been my major downfall so far.

I am making this a level 2 challenge.

carla49
11-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Holy thread activity, Batman! Just two days out of town, I come back and and everything changes. While the cat's away, as they say.

Anyway, I intend to continue my usual babbling - it seems the consensus is in favour of chit-chat, so I won't pack up my laptop and slink off in a huff.

Well, I blew my challenge. No wine at dinner, but went to a craft fair and tasted some bits of cookie samples, and it was about three hours later I realized they were chocolate dipped and i shouldn't have touched them. So what would have been Day 18 was Day last. :( The road to **** and all that. A major victory though: I didn't decide my slip was carte blanche to pig out today, even tho there were mega-goodies available at coffee breaks. Maybe I'm learning something after all.

I don't know when or what my next challenge will be, but am considering going simple, say no chocolate starting tomorrow. It's not easy, so a Level 3 challenge.

I've read all the posts, but don't see how I could find the time or concentration to comment everywhere I would like to. So let's just say I'm glad there's a new thread, glad to see Red is in better spirits, delighted to know Shad and Fish and Apple will overcome their lows and stay here with us. Also, welcome to the new members, and hello to everyone I haven't mentioned. And Curly, it's true you don't ramble on like some of us do, but when you DO write a longer post, it's always appropriate and informative. And you serve as our challenge champion, knocking them off one after the other. (Maybe if I talked less and exercised more, I'd be less of a woman than I am today...)

The new levels are a fun idea, I just don't understand why there are no semi-levels. (Just joking Red. Always trying to get a rise out of you...)

Gotta go, the suitcase isn't unpacked yet, I'm hungry, and it's time for bed. I'll be back to my usual self tomorrow. Sleep tight, all!

stagemomx3
11-30-2005, 11:33 PM
No Soda Day 17
Abs Day 11 *pause* day today

Carla I will join you on the No Chocolate challenge starting the first. Level 3 it is, since Aunt Flo will be visiting during those 21 days and she usually demands chocolate! This should help me get through the family parties, and the workplace treats.

Shad
12-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Uh oh,
Challenge done. :cp: :cp: but the abs challenge will wait until tomorrow because right now I have other things to do.

Thunder is back. Im gone. Better explanation tomorrow, maybe

redballoon
12-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Ok, all, Day 3 is done! I went directly to the gym after riding. I bring a change of clothes. My shoes are usually dusty and I have woodchips on my sweater. In the winter, I don't worry much about bothering people with my horsey fragrance.... ;) Well, doing it this way gets me to the gym. I only jogged 3 K and did some weights and the crunches for the challenge. I plan on getting there again tomorrow morning before work and jogging 5K! A friend of mine in L.A. is training for the marathon, her second time. I started training once but think I had a stress fracture in my foot. Maybe I will try again though. People (my sister...it takes a woman, not these guys!!) noticed that my legs were getting thinner. My thighs are huge, not really flabby but very strong from a lot of training. But there is still a lot of fat marbled through them so the running helps, but boy, do you have to keep at it. I used to do 2 hour jogs. Now, I wimp out after 40 mins tops. Before I wouldn't get really going til 40 mins. So much is a mental thing, isn't it? Well, I'm glad to see the action here and everyone sounding optimistic and resolved again! :cp: That's the way, folks! :flow1:

Shad -- Congratulations!!! :cp: :woo: :cheer: :encore: :cheer: :woo: :cp: Great stuff! And that despite all your unhappiness. And sorry about taking over our challenge and making it official. I just thought that was easier and since I was already no doubt left hopelessly in the dust by you after my JC week absence, I figured, what the heck. Didn't think you'd mind...hope not.

stage -- You're doing great on your double challenge! How did you ever get so far when I wasn't looking?!?! I guess you were a stealth start too, right? I like the no chocolate challenge, and yes, think making it Level 3 is a good choice, especially if you use the days all together during the worst craving days. I am not really into chocolate, thank God. I mean, I like it, but it's not something I must have. With me it's usually just something sweet, so I can get away with hard candy or a Japanese sweet, which usually don't have any fat in them, so are less of a bomb. Well, good luck! :goodluck:

carla -- CARLA!! (said in the same tone I use to stop my cats from doing something naughty RIGHT NOW!!) there are NO semi-levels! :nono: And there are not going to be any semi-levels!! Just what is a semi-level anyhow?! :shrug: :?: :dunno: Is that like when you're stuck between floors in an elevator or what!?!? Ok, this time it's not a spanking. This time I'm bringing out my dressage whip, snap, snap, snap!! :rofl: Others (especially newbies)...do not be scared...carla likes this kind of thing.... ;)

Well, carla, I must say that despite the nonsense I've seen out of you....and you said you'd be BACK? to your normal self tomorrow?????...I must say that you are doing great. :yes: Imagine not pigging out with mega-goodies available! Awesome! :eek: Sounds to me like you are learning something. :encore: Yes, too bad about the challenge. You were so close. It means you won't get another smilie face or star under your name like curly, BUT you have 18 days behind you, so it's kind of the same thing! :cp: I think TOMORROW sounds good for a NO CHOCOLATE challenge! Ok, Level 3 it is. Actually, for those of us who have completed two challenges, we had the three pause days anyhow, but I thought it was nice to go back and ratchet up the difficulty of some new challenges, like I'm doing with the crunches. There are things that are logistically hard and things that are out of our control somtimes, but other things, like my crunching thing is really just a matter of doing it and I can do it if I set my mind to it, but it does take doing and effort and planning a lot of times too. I thought it was good to have the levels.

And I am happy to hear you'll be babbling away as usual. What would we do without you?!?! :hug:

Succeed -- Hello! :welcome: Glad to have you aboard. Ok, a water challenge. We used to have tons of those, now not so many. Good luck. And I see you're from the Keystone State. A native? I am originally from Pgh. And your girls are beautiful! Brooke and Madison! Hello!!

Fonty -- A big hello to you too! :welcome2: Another guzzler! Go for it! :cb:

curly -- All right!! Just a couple more to go! How about all these people throwing your name around like that, huh? The nerve of some...!!!

derry -- Oh, my, you were so close too. But yeah, Thanksgiving....what can you say. Glad to have you back and that is a hard challenge. Why don't you go for a Level 3? Yes, you CAN do this. WW sounds very sensible and doable and if I weren't over here I think I would do it too. When I was a teenager I was on Weight Limited and I really liked it. I think there is a TOPS here and I am almost thinking of going, just for the weekly socializing. I love a challenge and I have a competitive streak like you wouldn't believe. Well, good luck!! :spin:

Fish -- You're moving along well. Yes, old challenges just carry on...glad you like the levels addition. That is funny about your husband. And good for him for trying to kick the habit! I did years ago and really am glad I did.

Silly -- Glad to see you again...or was it me who was gone. Yes, go simple. Simple doesn't mean easy. It just means easy to focus on, easy to remember. It sounds to me like you DO stick to a lot of things, so don't get down about a little old thing like updating your FitDay. Think of that little engine. You can and you will...get up, fall down, get up again (well, that wasn't the engine...but you get the idea). You don't see little kids just refusing to get up again, do you? Well, best of luck and I hope your bf gets well again soon and that you stay well!

PhysDom -- Hi there! :welcome3: That's a tough challenge! :goodluck: Keep us posted! :yes:

Apple -- Glad to hear you sounding up again. No, I won't give you gyp (jip?) on your complicated challenge. I am similar, like things complicated most of the time. I'm still doing a lot of things, just wanted the challenge for here to be simple so I can come in and post a quickie even when I'm busy mainly. A pound a week sounds doable but not easy. Good luck! So, are you saying you're starting up your old challenge with the situps and arm weights AND starting another walking challenge? I think so, right?

Sushi Penguin
12-01-2005, 06:05 AM
After 45 minutes of trying to get the oh soo lovely (NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) dial-up connection to load my email, I discover what? 4 junk messages!!! And nothing else, even though it's been 2 days since I checked email...

Anyhow, glad to see a new thread. :) Good luck with your new challenge Red. I like the levels, spendid idea. :)
I usually don't have the time to write much or even to read every single post... and dial-up doesn't make it any easier. And when I actually want to say something, I don't know how to put it... so I just focus on posting what day I'm on.

Okay, since we have a new thread, let me restate my challenges. I'm doing two right now, and they're both Level 3, one is running, and the other is doing crunches. Both those things I haven't done for years or never at all when it comes to running outside along the road. Crunches is a killer - I started at 5 and I'm trying to do one more each day or every other day, and I got to 8 yesterday. The 8th one was a killer, so I'll probably stick with 8 for a few days, to make sure I can actually do them, not force them out.
Not too sure what to do about the day before yesterday... I got home with a horrible migraine, laid down to wait for it to go away before going running and... woke up in the middle of the night... I sort of want to forget that day existed...

Abs Challenge
Completed Day 4 yesterday, did 8 crunches. I'll do today's worth as soon as I'm off the computer.

Running Challenge
Yesterday was a blast, today was a struggle. I was tired all day, and could hardly drag my feet to the dirt road where I do my running, and then I ended up resetting my stopwatch, so I don't quite now how long I ran...
Let me find my stats...

Days 1 to 5: no stats kept, but it went from 5-6 minutes to close to 10
Day 6 - 11 mins 30 sec with 2 breaks; 8 mins 14 seconds running, first break at 3 min 41 sec
free day (migraine)
Day 7 - 15 mins 4 seconds with 2 breaks; 11 min 20 sec running, first break at 4 min 30 sec
Day 8 - run 0 to 4 mins 32 sec, walk 4'32" to 6'27" and run 6'27" to 7'30" - so total time ran 5 min 35 sec
Day 9 - run to 3'47", walk to 6'40", run to 9'56", walk to 12'22", run to 13'52" so total time ran is 8 minutes 33 seconds
Day 10 - run 0-3'46", walk to 6'42", run to 9'46" (3"4'), walk to 12'53' and run to 15'57" (3'4" - yay!), total time ran is 9 min 54 sec
Day 11 - run 4'24", walk 3'0", run 1'42" (got a very bad stitch), walk 7'05", run 2'26" (and got another stitch!); so total time ran is 8 min 32 sec
Day 12:
run 2'00", walk 1'25", run 2'08", walk 2'7", run 2'37", total time 10 min 18 sec, total time ran is just 6 minutes 45 seconds
day which did not exist (migraine)
Day 13: run 5'16", walk 3'17", run 6'51", walk 5'11", run 3'01 (could have gone longer, but there were owls sitting in the trees along the road and talking to each other, and I wanted to watch them :) - still, didn't I say that yesterday was a blast? :carrot: ) Total time was 23 min 36 seconds, out of which 15 min 8 sec was running.
Day 14: run 3'16", walk 2'30", then ran and walked again but didn't time, and then ran 5'30" again; total time ran will be 10 minutes or so

On to Day 5 of crunches now, and to day 15 of running tomorrow. :)

Red, for those who are doing the Week at a Time Challenge as well... would you say that 3 weeks of all goals met would be equivalent to one 21-Day Challenge?

redballoon
12-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Sushi -- Hello there! I was wondering where you were. Glad to see you found us on the new thread. Too bad about your computer. Dialups are the pits. I had that for way too long and even had the ADSL modem for an entire year without hooking it up. Finally I did and I sure wish I had done it sooner. It is so great to just always be hooked up. I would really try to look into getting something like that. It is surely cheaper and you can stay on as long as you like for the same price. I'm sure there must be cheap deals where you are. But, I don't know what you're talking about when you say you don't know what to say? You sound great whenever you're here! :sunny:

You're doing great on your challenges! My, you are a record keeper. Actually, I am too, but I don't write it here. It's great motivation though and we don't mind. Just post away. I'm not sure if you were joking about the three weekly challenges equaling a 21-day or not....???...but I will take it you weren't....:?: No, Sushi, we are a separate and, I am proud to say, most definitely a UNIQUE entity. :lol3: I know some of you do the weekly thread but it just isn't the same now, is it? We need you over here with us, giving us your support, your smilies, your tears, your....so, no, Sushi :nono: Them's them and we's us!! :lol:

I am, however, considering starting another type of challenge which would be something like a mega-weekly challenge, like a monthlong super challenge that would not involve doing the same thing every day but would be about points and scores and something like that. If you're over there on the weekly doing things for weeks on end, you might like it. It's still on the drawing board, however...stay tuned..

Sushi Penguin
12-01-2005, 06:48 AM
Did my 8 crunches before dial-up was done loading my previous post... *rolls eyes and smiles*

Red, dial-up through someone's work laptop is the only internet access I can get right now, so I probably shouldn't complain. :) It's just annoying that at work, I have super high speed, which I'm not allowed to use... :p

Off to bed :)

derrydaughter
12-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Well, just got finished reading all your posts and I must say we are a charged up group! With all this energy, how can we fail?
Red, I agree, level 3 it is for me. Especially considering the time of year and that I've been through a death in the family. I do think that personal issues can affect the level for an individual. What would be a level 1 for someone who is in a good place emotionally, could be a level 3 for a person undergoing stress in their lives.
I made it through day 1 yesterday and started my day 2 with a good breakfast, water, vitamins and journalled what I ate. I am glad.
I want that scale to move down this week. I was absolutely apalled when I weighed in at the WW meeting yesterday. Beyond apalled, I was shocked into reality. Guess that is what is takes sometimes, kind of like the proverbial slap in the face?
I could never do the no chocolate challege this time if year, you are brave souls. That's maybe even a level 4, if such a thing exists! I was totally on my ww program yesteray, but had one chocolate one point ww snack bar and also a ww chocolate ice cream cone for 2 points for dessert last night. Low point (or low cal, or whatever you want to call them if you are not a ww person) desserts are essential. If I give up desserts, or chocolate, I feel I am denying myself and then I fail. Something to think about. Chocolate is an essential part of my life, but I did give it up for Lent last year, and that was about the hardest sacrifice for me! One year, though, I gave up salt for Lent and that was awfully hard to do.
Oh yes, Cabot cheese (sorry not in Tokyo or probably anywhere other than around here?) is making pre-packed 50 calorie individual slices of lite cheddar cheese now, I had one of those with breakfast. Cheddar cheese is one of my downfalls usually as I fail to "understand" what a "portion" is supposed to be.... my idea of a portion and what ww tells one to have are completely opposite. So, to have this individually wrapped and portioned for me was a big success for breakfast today!
I am so glad that the merchandising world has finally figured out that people want weight loss portioning and even though we pay dearly for the extra packaging, it's worth it to me.
Linda

FishWoman
12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Wow, December 1st already! Yesterday was day 15 of ACE.

Busy today, I will check in later today or tomorrow!

stagemomx3
12-01-2005, 01:07 PM
No Soda Day 17
Abs Day 12
No Chocolate Start Day

Yes I was stealth start, I had already done a week of No Soda when I found this site and your 21 day challenge post.

marbleflys
12-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Hi Everyone:

Does getting up every morning and dressing myself (in real clothes instead of sweats with an elastic waist) count as a challenge? If so, it's Day 1 for me, I'm back to work and it's not easy to aclimate.

I can now put my hand on my head and wash my face, so my mobility is improving.....but I feel HUGE as I've been laying around for almost 6 weeks. I really miss being able to do wts./cardio....:wl:

I'm itching to join in and do something to expend energy, but it's an exercise in futility only..........

I *thought* semi-paws sounded too good to be true.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

it's nice to be back and I'm impressed by everyone's progress and commitment,:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

derrydaughter
12-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Keep up the good work guys! Marble... what's the deal? Have you had surgery, an injury? Are you ok?
Linda

marbleflys
12-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Linda:

Accident (I stepped in a hole) 6 weeks ago...double fracture to my nose and my left shoulder too. (i'm left handed, so it's been an adventure), thanks.

I see that our stats are very close....I'm 5'5" and *fine-boned* so I show every extra ounce of fat. short-waisted and a longer leg. At my perfect weight, I run about a 6-8 size.

redballoon
12-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Good morning! It's before 6 a.m. and I am determined to get to the gym and jog 5K before work. It's a 50-min. walk to the gym but it goes very quickly these days (IF the train trestle (word?) doesn't stay down too long...) It is COLD out there! The warmth of the gym awaits and not the freezing cold of the stable, frozen water hoses, howling wind in the arena....I am a summer baby and I love the heat...

Well, if get to the gym I will do my crunches. I have even been looking at my pilates books and considering...still just considering...what other ab exercises I can do. As my legs and hips are very heavy, I find anything for abs involving them, like leg raises and such very hard to do. They will have to wait until I lose more weight...forward-thinking there! ;)

marble -- So good to see you!! :sunny: Heh, if getting up and dressing is not something you normally do or have to do, then it is most definitely challenge material! But, it doesn't sound like it's at all an emotional thing with you, it sounds like you are really raring to go, but physically just can't. You poor thing. How is your eating going? Can you prepare food at all? Doing anything must be very hard for you....Please get well soon and thanks for checking in to say heh. :hug:

stagemom -- Excellent work on your no-soda and abs challenges! :cp: Good luck on the no chocolate challenge. I like the way you put the challenge days at the top. Very efficient and clear. You're making great changes in your life. Keep it up!! :dancer:

Fish -- Moving right along! :strong:

Sushi -- Good on the crunches! :bravo: That's a shame with the dialup. I hope you can still come in and report. As you I'm sure are well aware, the dialup does NOT affect your challenge, just the posting part. ;) Keep that persistence strong! :flow1:

derry -- Hello! :wave: Yes, the energy is good again. Ebb and flow, that's the way of things. Ride the wave when it's there...that's the only way...regroup and await the next one when it's not. Yes, most definitely personal issues play a huge role in the choice of levels. We do have to deal with what life throws at us and I am a big advocate of always asking ourselves, "what can I do with what I'm faced" instead of whining and balking and getting all upset (that comes first though... ;) ) What we perceive as stress changes as we get better at dealing with it too, until, voila! it's no longer what we even consider stress.

Great going on your Day 1. :cp: You've made an excellent start. What is done is done. I know the regrets and the shock at just what that "what" is, but think of it has your having learned to stop the gain early. Think, it could have been a 50-lb. gain instead of what it was. You could have started chain-smoking (I take it you're not..) or starting drinking heavily (no, right?)

As for Level 4s, no, I decided to stop at 3. That's a day off each week. When you look at it like that, I think it's pretty fair. After all, the idea is to keep going, restarting and restarting as much as you have to. The important thing is to keep going, even more so than to complete a round of 21. Very little in life involves resting on our laurels. It's a continuous waltz. You gotta keep moving. :)

I am like you with the giving-up of desserts. I did no sugar for many months but I find I overeat simply because I want something sweet and feel deprived at the lack of an option. Oddly, allowing myself anything, means I often decide NOT to have it. Ah, the power of choice. Glad to hear about the portions. Yes, I love cheese and what is called a portion is ridiculous, isn't it? :lol3:

Apple Blossom
12-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh my, we are active here!! And we even lured some new faces to our little web!!:devil:
I am doing 2 challenges, the no eating after dinner-sit ups-arm weights one that I wasn't able to finish last time and a walking challenge of 30 minutes a day. I did all the sit-up challenge yesterday, so day 1 done there, and I took a walk this morning so day one done there too. So that means they won't be synchronized but I think I can handle it.:p
I have 2 kids almost on my lap, so this is tough. But I have to add 3 CHEERS FOR SHAD!!!!
:cp: :cp: :cp: :hat: :hat: :hat: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Great job!

marbleflys
12-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Hey Red:

My shoulder fracture is healing and it is THRILLING to be in "real clothes"...(I can even get my bra on if I twist it to the front and twist back).

Food is simple, (but it's impossible to open a bottle of WINE or change a ceiling light bulb....the neighbor hung my curtains.

I've stepped down the drugs to Aleve and a 1/2 perc. at night if I can't stand it....

I still watch FITTV, even if I can't bounce around yet. (maybe next week?)

Shad
12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Believe it or not, I did them before 5.30am! Yeah, yeah I know - time hasn't begun at that point! So my kids used to tell me anyway. Fact is that I leave home at 6.00 to catch a train at 6.30 to get to work by 7.30. By that time I have probably walked a k or so already as well.

I think I am going to leave it at this challenge until after Christmas. Things and happenings are a bit vague after the end of the year - such as where is my next job coming from and how or what do I have to do to get it and get there if it is out of town and do I have to relocate etc.etc.etc. By Christmas I may have a better idea of what is going on. I have one agent trying to get me to Perth and another to Roxby Downs in South Australia (wah, wah don't wanna go - hanging on to doorframe by fingernails here) There may even be more work here in this office (wah, wah do I want to be totally frustrated right into next year) and so on and so forth. It's the joys of contracting I'm afraid.

Marble - glad to hear you are getting better and getting back to work. May I suggest some very gentle stretching and bending to get a head start on getting back into shape. It must be very hard for you.

Apple - thanks for the congratulations, but how do you type with kids on the lap. I have enough trouble when the cat decides to sit there waving her tail around my nose.

Red - I can see where you are coming from as far as the leg raises etc are concerned, but my Body Balance instructor tells me that if you raise the legs to 90 degrees to the body (lying flat on your back that is) and slowly raise and lower the legs from that position it is a lot easier on the back as the small of the back stays on the floor - the less degrees of angle, the harder the muscles have to work. I've now got mine to around 45 degrees and I can really feel those abs and pelvics doing their thing. The other thing that seems to work the abs and stomach well are the swiss ball things. Apparently they improve posture as well. I might give them a go - the local paper had an article on them last week which I kept. I may be able to photocopy them and send them if you wish - actually come to think of it they were on the papers website. I'll see if I can find them again for you.

Fish, Stage and Sushi - you are all up there and getting it done. Goodonya as they say here.

Time to go get on with some work. I may just go home around lunch time today - simply because I can.

Shad
12-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Pictures are not there, but the information is.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17338440%255E22808,00.html

Fonty
12-01-2005, 05:12 PM
:carrot: Well on my way. This should actually be fairly simple for me. But this time of the year I seem to forget to do the basic of things. Just so much to do. I will also feel pretty good checking off something on this darn to do list. :dizzy:

Everyone here seems nice.:)
Will hopefully have a chance to read some of your previous challenges. Get some ideas for next time :?: :).

stagemomx3
12-01-2005, 08:39 PM
No Soda Day 18
Abs Day 12
No Chocolate Day 1

Today was weigh in day for me, and I lost one pound this week. That puts me into ONE-der-land.

curlylocks
12-01-2005, 09:21 PM
day 19: 1 hr circuit training!!! wooo onderland wTG Michelle!

carla49
12-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Day 1 complete: no chocolate.

Shad, :woo::hat: :cp: :hat: :woo: ! Another challenge under your belt! I'm impressed. I've geared my challenge down in the hopes of finally finishing another one.

Curly, just two days to a record 5 completed challenges. I guess that explains your 51 pound weight loss - fantastic! :bravo:

Marble, I see you've changed your avatar - is a butterfly the closest you could find to a phoenix rising from the ashes? :lol: It's good to see you back with us and doing better. Since you can't exercise, and can't open wine, maybe you should carpe the old diem and do a no wine challenge? No?

Red, I'm glad you've found your second (or third, or nth) wind and are back on track. As you can see above, I'm taking the hint and posting my day at the beginning from now on. And I'll stop my subversive semi-pause talk. (I'm sure I'll come up with something equally creative soon.) :lol3:

I'm calling this a no-chocolate challenge, but of course it's much more complicated than that. I allow myself things like DQ FF fudge bars and occasional FF choc pudding cups, but do not allow most candy or cake or cake-like goodies. (Tiny pieces of inadvertent sample cookies with choc won't count. ;) ) But for simplicity's sake I'll keep the no-choc name. :D

My first weigh-in at the diet doc's showed 1.5 lbs down, in spite of a less-than-perfect record following the diet rules. At this rate it'll only take me another 32 weeks to reach goal... (But I want it now!!!) :kickcan: Oh well, I'm sure tonight's fit of the blues will pass soon.

Fish, Derry, Sushi, Stage (fellow chocolate-abstainer), Apple, Fonty... so many posts I should respond to - but won't for now! :shrug: And you're all doing so well.

And on that note, I think it's time for a nice cool glass of vino. :cheers:

I Will Succeed!
12-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Day one is complete with 72 oz. of water in! :carrot:

stagemomx3
12-02-2005, 02:21 AM
Carla- Does sugar free hot cocoa count as "chocolate?"

Sushi Penguin
12-02-2005, 06:32 AM
It was pouring all day, and I was worried about my running - there is nowhere else to do it, other than outside. Eventually it stopped, so I started getting ready - workout clothes, toilet, water, pen & paper, cell phone, jumper, shoes, boyfriend - it's a process. :lol: Didn't get far into the process before it started pouring again... so we played 2 rounds of Dominoes (I won! :lol: ). It's still pouring now, and it seems like my weekend plans are destroyed... we were going to to hiking, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow too.

In the end, I managed to complete Day 15, and oh wow!!!

Day 15 - run 8'35", walk 4'06", run 5'22", walk 3'26", run 5'01", total time was 26"30', and I ran for 18 minutes and 58 seconds total!!! And it felt good too.

Completed Day 6 of crunches as well, and I think I did 9? Can't remember too well... I found a better way of doing them, so I actually did 2 sets - the old way and the new, better way, one set each. But I really can't remember if it was 8 or 9... I'll stick with 8, better not give self too much credit :p

I'm making plans for a new challenge. It will most likely target the rolls of fat on the inside of my tights (yuck, yuck, yuck!!!). I'm going to print some exercises from About.com on Monday, design a workout to fit my needs, and get to work. No idea how it's all going to work out... I do want to keep running, but it'll be difficult to fit it in with the exercises, especially since I want to fit in 2 tennis lessons each week, and the commute to and from work eats a lot of my time. Don't think Red would be willing to let me bend the rules a bit, and run every other day... since that would miss the point of "every-day 21-day" challenge. Unless, unless, I challenge myself to get up earlier and run in the mornings... which would make sense, since it's getting hotter and hotter here. But then I do enjoy watching the sunsets... Oh, the dilemma! :lol: :dizzy: Dang it, can't wait till my job ends! :lol:

And oh, boyfriend said he's noticed some CHANGES. As in, results. Wow. I don't see, or feel, anything... but if he says so... :p :lol: I'm soooooooo blessed to have such a supportive man :angel: by my side. :) :love: :love: :love:

Night everyone :wave:

PhysDom
12-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Ok. I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't even managed day 1 yet. *sigh*

But from this point on I will manage to read each and every one of y'alls posts, so I can get motivation from that.

Exercise is easier on the weekends, anyway.

Here I go!

PhysDom
12-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Ok, I just went back and read all of the posts in the whole thread and I feel *so much better* about this.

I'm glad that you all are chatty. It will be tough on Mondays (when I have a weekend worth of posts to read!) but the rest of the time I feel good about keeping up with it.

I know that I'll workout when I get home... so can I count this as day 1? I'd better wait... just in case.

Thanks,
Emily.

FishWoman
12-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Day 16 of ACE is under the belt.

My firm is sponsoring an on-site health screening today. I am going down in 15 minutes to find out my cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose, and bmi. It is supposed to be an "accurate assessment of seven major wellness areas." I am glad they are doing this, because I never go to the doctor for check-ups. The only reason i even go to my gyn is because I have to in order to refill my birth control prescription.

Everyone is doing so well! Talk to you later!

stagemomx3
12-02-2005, 10:27 AM
No Soda Day 18
Abs Day 12
No Chocolate Day 1

Good Morning!:coffee:

Lots of snow on the ground here, the kids and I are home from school today. I had planned to keep them home anyway, but having snow to play in is a nice addition. I haven't gone downstairs to workout yet, but I'll get there eventually.

marbleflys
12-02-2005, 10:40 AM
hi everyone!

I'm actually feeling stronger today (I think I have my own *challenge* going on until my fracture heals and I hope that no one will mind if I post my *victories*)

Today I had 3 Major ACCOMPLISHMENTS--all firsts from Oct.!

#1---was able to put on PANTYHOSE!

#2---reached behind and fastened my bra (even though I stretched it down low)

#3---blow-dryed the layers in my hair so I no longer look like Don King!!

oh and one of my smaller skirts actually FIT???? I don't get it, I thought I'd become a complete marshmellow????

Fish, good for you----get thee to the mammography appt. too.

Hi Psyh-Dom:

it's infectious...you'll be jumping into *something* soon....start small (one flight of stairs everyday, 2 bottles of water, etc)

where's that Carla? I need her address so I can mail her my cats that are completely out of control.....

curlylocks
12-02-2005, 11:03 AM
lol but i know what u mean marble... after my back surgery i was so happy when i could finally put my own undies on! lol was a long long time till i could tie my shoes, or put on socks... 135 staples in my back! yikes

glad to hear u are feeling a bit better!!!

carla49
12-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Groundhog day here. Starting over with Day 1.

Stagemom, you have to decide for yourself what your challenge covers. If your original intention included no FF hot chocolate, then I think you're stuck with that... For me, I use "chocolate" to cover a range of goodies that I have trouble eating in moderation. I don't see chocolate as inherently bad, just as a really big trigger food for me. But I have no trouble being reasonable about the few chocolate-flavoured things I still allow myself. I try to keep reminding myself that the point of the challenge is not self-denial but weight-loss... I don't know if that answer helps you or not.

Fish, you're really acing ACE! And I just noticed that your ticker shows an increasingly slender fish. You're getting pretty close to goal, and must already look damned fine. Yay Fish!

Where, oh where has our Mesmerize gone? Where, oh where can she be? Off playing with her sisters? Or hiding from :drill: 's whip and :nono: ? Come back, we miss you.

Marble, you're progressing nicely, I see. But you don't seem to be interested in the no-wine challenge I suggested! Whyever not? As for the cats, they're certainly welcome (not the answer you expected, right?), but this is an indoor home, and besides my rebounder is folded up in its case, so where would they sleep? I'm having my own cat fun, trying to clear up poor Lily's eyes with yet another round of drops, this time 4 doses a day. For 14 days. Maybe we could make a trade - your big fellas for my skittish little Lil?

I remembered last night why I had banned wine and chocolate in the same challenge. After a rather boring glass or two of white, I found myself devouring an entire bag of chocolate-dipped florentine cookies that were meant to be a Xmas gift. A small bag, but still... So the challenge starts over, no longer in sync with the days of the month. And it will be a two-pronged challenge, each prong independent of the other as far as pause days go. Sort of two semi-challenges, so to speak. Right, Red? ;) At Level 3, to be realistic. :crossed: that I can keep it together this time. Or at least semi-together...

SillyFluff
12-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Day 1 WAS completed yesterday. But I went to bed early. I do feel like I'm getting a cold. Or *god forbid* something worse. Anyhoo. Yesterday I barely had any calories. I didn't even hit 1000. Not because I didn't want to eat, but because I was busy and just didn't think about it. Got off to a late start this morning. Been out paying bills since 9:45. Still have yet to eat breakfast. Guess its gonna have to be BRUNCH. Oh well. Food is Food at this point...atleast that's what my belly is telling me. Anyhoo. I'm outta here. I'm gonna TRY to remember to post here before I go to bed tonight. I was just pooped from that class I had last night. We made an advent calender with them using ribbon and candy and they made their own personal gingerbread man. And they were bouncing off the walls. I swear, even if kids are too young to realize that Christmas isn't til Dec 25th they still sense it and go NUTS!! Its open play tonight at work. Maybe I'll get a change to get some boxes wrapped for the week after next. I have to work straight through the weekend, which is kind of a bummer. Have 3 birthday parties to do on Sunday. So it'll be like being there my normal hours. Kinda sucks. Ok, this time I'm really outta here. Sorry about my tangent. LATER LADIES

marbleflys
12-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Carla a *no-wine* or no whine* challenge for me is the equivelent of sanity-suicide! (how would I endure the holidays with my family?)

I'm a pretty good cat wrestler....but my giant MC is completely relaxed, he sleeps through nail cutting and I can give him a pill with one hand while I stroke his throat (he only freaks out for important matters like a tail-fire after he runs across the stove).

yes. my poor old body seems to be healing...although I was pretty sedentary, I forced myself to walk everyday and I did not *baby* the parts of my bod that work...(I can vaccuum righty and only splashed toilet-water on myself once being clumsy with scrubbing----)...I also followed psycho.-doc's sound advice...."get up, get dressed and don't eat junk food (high-carbs. sugar, etc)...I did a lot of veggies and good protein. To be honest, the pain meds. pretty much killed my appetite and the 3 boxes of fancy chocolates that came as gifts, I stuck in the freezer for the approaching winter famine.

I now have WEIRD cravings for romaine lettuce and cherry tomatoes with fat-free italian and lemon juice dressing????? I found a local asian farmers market with great prices and tons of fresh fish, exotic out of season fruits and veggies so I've been indulging myself....

stagemomx3
12-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Ok my original intent with no chocolate was candy, cookies, cake, sweet treats kind of things. So I am declaring that for me Sugar Free Hot Cocoa does not fall in the "chocolate" category. However Starbucks Mochas do!

carla49
12-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Sushi, I almost forgot about you. You're doing really well! Maybe you should ask that nice man of yours to give you a rain hat and a waterproof running jacket for Christmas? The first night of my marathon clinic years ago we were supposed to be running 10 k. Of course it was 30 below with wind chill, so we all assumed we'd listen to our little motivational talk and then go home or for coffee. NOT. Instead we learned that the only weather-related excuse was glare ice. And a proper runner would buy cleats to deal with that... (We don't have hurricanes or tornados or floods, so I don't know if they'd be considered legit excuses.)

Of course you're not running a marathon, but I thought I'd share the experience with you anyway. Also the fact that I didn't have the right clothes or headgear, and my ear lobes froze and swelled up and finally peeled. They looked like juicy tomatillos for a while, not the colour but the papery covering. The story is, there are no cold days, just underdressed runners.

And as I write this, I'm sitting indoors in my nightshirt - it's too cold and wet to go out. So it's a case of do as I say, not as I do. Good luck squeezing in the early morning runs.

marbleflys
12-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Hey Curly, thanks for comiserating.....135 staples and back surgery tells me I should stop whining about having to use my other hand...

You are doing great with your wt. loss, number 51 is a big deal, congrats from the sidelines....(not for long)

Apple Blossom
12-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Day 2 of SWN, Day 1 of WALK

Don't worry Phys I had a really hard time getting past that first day, "I'll start tomorrow" is a popular phrase for me. Once you get over the start and the first few days it get's easier.
Marble, take it easy! Sounds like the eating is right on track though. I hear you about the wine. Holidays are hard to get through with out a little help....:hat: (notice I haven't tried a no beer challenge in a while)
Hey Red, and all you other runners out there, I'm jealous!!! I can't wait to start running again. Walking just has to do for now because of the children. It's so hard to find the time and I hate falling in and out of shape. I could probably get into a routine but then in February DH is away a lot and I'd be out of shape again in no time. It would be nice if we had space for a treadmill but our house is too small and it would be a hazard for the kids. Did't one of you lose a Gazelle to children using it as a play stucture?? What happened to all you Gazellers anyway?
I'm going to have to bring my daughter along on my walk today, and it's going to be tough to squeeze it in too. But I'll get it done!!
Hey silly!:wave:I'm glad you're challenging again!

marbleflys
12-02-2005, 01:39 PM
ooooh, I completely forgot about the "Gazellettes"...did someone run off with Mr. Ponytail?

PhysDom
12-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Apple. I know how 'tomorrow I'll start' feels... and yet I can't manage it...

But I will tomorrow!!

stagemomx3
12-02-2005, 03:04 PM
No Soda Day 18
Abs Day 13
No Chocolate Day 1

Workout finished for the day.

FishWoman
12-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I went to the wellness screening this morning. The good news is that my blood pressure is great! 102 over 72. I attribute that to the fact that I work out practically every single day. The not so good news is that my cholesterol is sort of high. I have to eat more veggies and fiber.

Marblefly - it is so good to hear from you again. I am glad you are feeling better. You will be back in the challenges in no time!

Silly Fluff - sounds as if you have a busy weekend! Just remember to try to take some time for yourself to breathe and eat properly.

Stage mom - you are so close on the sodas! I might try a no caffiene challenge next.

I have not been able to work out yet. I will have to go after work. With luck the gym will not be too crowded.

carla49
12-02-2005, 03:55 PM
My Gazelle sits in the middle of the living room, waiting for someone to come play. I barely even notice it any more, apart from the sad lonely little whimpers.

curlylocks
12-02-2005, 04:53 PM
lol u were right carla it makes a great coat rack! esp. when u fold it up and put it against the wall!

Sushi Penguin
12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Day 7 of crunches complete, I did 10. :)
Running will have to be later, I'm still hoping we can go to the mountains... it's rather cold, wet and cloudy, so it'll be FREEZING there (just like it was last weekend, when I had to drive in very dense fog as well). The fact that I don't have proper shoes and only have semi-proper clothes doesn't help.

Carla, it's not about whether I'm afraid of the rain - just don't have the proper clothes, and can't buy them at the moment (need to get new running shoes anyway, the old ones are falling apart, and prices here are really high! I really don't feel like spending $100 on a pair of shoes, especially since the ones I have right now cost $20, and I've been very happy with them...). And I need a tennis racket of my own, or else no hope of progress with my tennis. The great thing is that it'll never get cold here - or at least not for many months to come! :)

stagemomx3
12-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Fishwoman- You are very brave to consider a no caffeine challenge! I will not give up my coffee!!!!

redballoon
12-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Good morning, all. This is the second time I am writing this. Computer started doing strange things before and I had to restart and that seems to....fingers crossed...have fixed it. Well, it's Saturday here and I did not get to the gym because my regular branch doesn't open early today and I hate going to the other one. Also, I did my 5K yesterday and think I can use a break. I did my crunches yesterday, so Day 4 is done for my challenge. I should get down and do Day 5 now before going to work.

....in fact, I am going to do them right now!.....

Ok, Day 5 is now done!! Nothing like getting an ab burn on an empty stomach!

Fish -- Were you able to work out yesterday? I hope so. Sounds good on the blood pressure. That's very low. Mine is the same. Don't know the cholesterol.

stagemom -- Good going! :cp:

Phys -- Just keep trying to achieve liftoff. A lot of us are old hands at this, so don't feel bad. Your being in here trying to achieve something is something you should be proud of in itself! :yes:

marble -- Good to hear you're getting better and able to move more freely. It sounds like your body is certainly looking for the good things to put into it..those are excellent cravings! Sugar is the first thing to go when I'm feeling down. Usually, a sugar binge is what gets me feeling down in the first place. It is really bad stuff.

Apple -- Hi there! Yes, it is a great feeling to be able to jog. And the progress is surprisingly fast. Don't worry. You will get back in the running habit when you have the time and your situation allows for it. The important thing is the desire! That's a great attitude for your walking. I hope you were able to swing it with your girl! You are setting an excellent example for your children. :sunny:

carla -- Whoops on the restart! Oh well. Up and at 'em. Yes, split challenges are fine. They are not semis, they are doubles! You are really rising to the call of the inner taskmaster! Good for you, carla! I'm impressed! :flow1:

Silly -- :bravo: Congrats on getting through your first day. The first few days are often the toughest. You must eat! And eat good things! Yes, food is food. That's all it's supposed to be. Wouldn't it be nice though if we could learn to get the pleasure of socializing etc. while still eating healthful things and not see sugar and other junk as "treats." This is my goal and I think I am closer to it than ever before. Good luck, Silly. You see, you CAN do something and you will be able to stick to it...eventually. :strong:

curly -- How are you doing out there? Need I ask? :cb:

Sushi -- Excellent going! :woo: So glad to here you are up and running so consistently. It really is inspiring! :yes: Remember, we can talk about anything in here, so you don't have to make everything a 21-day challenge. I do lots of other things that are challenging but they don't fit the 21-day format and I don't feel like posting on another thread, just don't have the time. We like hearing about your efforts though and I, for one, am inspired by them. So, no, no bending the rules, but go for it anyhow! Nothing is for naught!

Succeed -- :bravo: Good for you! Guzzle away! :dizzy:

Fonty -- :cp: Congrats on liftoff! Keep it going! Was that a water challenge? You have to keep me reminded. ;)

Shad -- Thanks for the link. I have saved the descriptions and will try to try these exercises out soon. I did what you said about raising the legs and working down. I realize that my problem is that my hamstrings are incredibly short and tight and this is why I can't straighten my legs. I wonder if they'll ever get longer, more flexible. I often wish I had a personal trainer or someone knowledgeable who could look at my body and tell me what I can expect from it, what I am capable of, with work, of course. So often, I feel it is hopeless, that I will never have flexible hamstrings again...that I will never have a waistline...
So, you're doing the abs thing as your challenge too? I think it's a perfect challenge for this time of year. With so many parties and whatever I need something I can DO, not something to do without and something that can be done in moments of not being hungover or inebriated, however brief those moments may be! Just kidding....

Fonty
12-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Caffeine is a good thing!!!!!! I'm with you coffee is something I refuse to make a bad guy. I hear that folks who drink coffee are happier. Okay, I admit I do not remember where I heard this but Ii's true really, really!!

Day 2 water challenge complete

redballoon
12-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Hurrah! Hurrah!! I can't believe it. I had to boot my computer back up just so I could come in here and change my weight tracker. I weighed myself and I am the lowest I've been in maybe a year!! I couldn't believe the scale. I only had two beers last night so don't think I'm too dehydrated. Still, I'll take it. I have not seen below 72 kgs in so long!! Hurrah. Maybe my efforts at the gym are paying off after all...now, to keep it going... :sunny:

The holiday weight tracker is just that...I am trying to knock off seven more pounds by yearend. That may be impossible. I was counting all the parties I have lined up! Wow! And there will surely be more. But if I can get my butt to the gym and NOT overeat or drink too much, I could lose more. Yes!

Also, I tried on my nonstretchy jeans and could almost wear them. I could but wouldn't because, having to sit down, I would surely be in pain, damaging my innards or risk splitting the zipper!! :lol3: I will wait a bit more. I noticed my thighs are smaller. Must be the jogging.... :)

Apple Blossom
12-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah Red!!!!:cp: :cp: :cp: Sometimes persistance pays off!!!:cp: :cp:
I'm proud of you!!!!

My last successful challenge involved a caffine redux, I had been up to 4 mugs a day and I felt it was a bit excessive. So I started drinking less and sneaking in decaf beans, down to half-caff. At little head achy at the beginning, but it worked! Now I'm back down to 2 mugs. Usually. I don't think I NEED the caffine all that much, I'm just into the comfort of a warm cup, and I'm not really into tea unless I'm sick...

derrydaughter
12-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi!
At my perfect weight, I run about a size 8 and am 5'2" so at 169 pounds (earlier this week, now at 165, whew!) I look pretty "full figured". I hate this look and want to get back to where I ought to be!
Today is day 3 and I am on track, I'm proud of myself.
I hope you are ok Marble. Sounds like you had some serious trouble!
By the way, I think I have a torn rotator cuff and just keep refusing to admit I have a proble and am avoiding the doctor's office!
Linda

CBETA
12-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Hello everyone, I am CBETA.
After reading several threads I think I am ready to join in the challenge.
But first let me use this paragraph to introduce myself to those who have not seen my post in the Rush to 199.

I am almost 28 year old (turning this month) and currently single. During normal week I work fulltime, and often can stay at work way past the hours, as I simply don't want to be home alone. Yet, even when I am at home, I am mostly reclining or laying down with my laptop. I do not own a tv and that's a consious choice to avoid sitting in front of it, but over the last few months I noticed that I have hard time letting go of my computer.
I am a very social person and I'd hate to spend my life alone, I love life and it is a waste of time how I spend it now. For years I've said I need to change, and I had other attempts, one of them quite sucessful, but even then I managed to destroy my efforts. In two years I will be 30, I am scared. Looking at a big picture it is important for me to be loved and be with someone. So the answer is yes I need to make a change.
Furthermore over the last 4.5 years I've had multiple injuries: I broke my left ancle and torn liagements in the left knee very badly in 2001, this year in August I fractured my right foot, and just yesterday I slipped and fell again bruising and may be fracturing my left foot. My legs cannot carry my body weight, I need to do something fast.
Currently my weight is 271 pounds.
My ideal weight is around 140 pounds or slightly below it.

=========OK so it goes for the challenges=========

My 1st step as I understand is to loose the 30 pounds that I gained back. I think it is a doable goal by end of January.
The 2nd step I think I'd like to make is be uder 200 pounds. And knowing that it will take a lot of work I am willing to allocate until June 1st, 2006 (i.e. a few days before my sisters graduation and my next visit home)

My major problems are:
a. Return to drinking 3 16.9oz bottles of water per day at the minimum. (one in the morning, one during the workout, one after workout)
Challenge A: Level 2

b. Go to the gym for approximate 1.5 hours at least 5 times a week. My plan has been to visit the gym daily, and if I cannot make it it is my free day. On average in 3 weeks I would be in the gym for 16-17 days
Challenge B: Level 2 (i.e. the plan to be at the gym no less than 16 days, no pause days in this one, as they are already calculated in)

c. No food after 7pm. That includes no food when visited by friends after 9pm (very important, as that made me gain most of that 30pounds)
Challenge C: Level 3

d. Lunch prep by me rather than bought at the cafe at work (important by I will introduce that as last step) in the mean I will try to watch what I choose for lunch.
No Challenge for that one for now. I think 3 challenges will occupy me well.
------------

Now allow me to return to my intro, as the second important message in here is that I am glad to be here and I look forward to working with you.

p.s. I live in San Jose and if anyone is local I'd love to meet and/or perhaps workout and support each other.

redballoon
12-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Hello CBETA! :welcome: You sure have a lot of challenges and I wish you the best of luck. We're here to support you and I really hope you can reach your goals. Thanks for the intro! :yes: Actually, only your A and C challenges fit this plan, as you have to do something EVERY DAY for 21 days. That said, it's fine to do something else and come in here for support, but in order to maintain the structure of the thread and keep it clear and simple, please count with us for something every day. You can do that with your water and not eating after 7 p.m. Like I said, though, and I don't want to discourage you at all!! :cb: many of us, including myself, are doing other things in addition to our actual 21-day challenge, but do state your days or whether you're having to restart or not (meaning...back to Day 1!!) We do it a lot! :yes:

CBETA, don't be scared. You can make the changes you want to. Just take it slow and easy. Don't panic. Have you seen some of the success stories in the success forum? They are so inspiring!

I hope to see lots of you here and I hope you'll lend your suppport to others. We are a talkative bunch. I am here to keep people in line, especially some of our more "wayward" ones such as carla.... :lol3: and I go through ups and downs and people have always stuck with me. We'll do the same for you!! :grouphug:

redballoon
12-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Apple, :wave: thanks for your congratulations. Your being "proud" made me feel great and I mean that sincerely! :hug:

CBETA
12-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Hello CBETA! :welcome: .....:

Thank you.
So I am ready. My first day will be Tomorrow, I will report how I do.
If anyone else is up for joining me in "no food after 7pm", let me know....
CBETA

Phoesarah
12-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi, Im sarah. I think im going to do a 21 day challenge starting monday. Im going to make it a level 3 because it will be pretty hard for me. Im going to make my lunch every day. Its hard for me to wake up in the morning, i barely have time to grab something out of the fridge so most of the time i just buy something. But i want to start making it the night before and have a good lunch and maybe even a breakfast! that would be a 6 challenge hehe. I have not started a diet yet or anything but i will. i just ordered the 6 week body makeover so please no one talk bad about it or it will just make me think its just like everything else and wont work anyway so why try it. But im going to try to try it because i hear its very strict and guided. and i need guided. Anyway. Thanks for letting me type a bunch
-Sarah

Phoesarah
12-03-2005, 04:03 AM
:wave: Thank you.
So I am ready. My first day will be Tomorrow, I will report how I do.
If anyone else is up for joining me in "no food after 7pm", let me know....
CBETA

:wave: Hi cbeta. I would love to join you in the no food after 7pm although i will have to make it 9pm because i get off work at 7pm so i guess 9 pm is okay right? im a bad night eater just because i get so bored. :yawn:

Shad
12-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Wow, nice to see some new faces again. At this rate we will be a very long thread and Red will use up one page admonishing, encouraging and pointing out the error of our (read Carla) ways.

Got my abs/crunches done at the gym this morning during the body balance class. New Instructor, more sadistic. Actually I didn't really enjoy the class that much but hey, you have to take the rough with the smooth and that one was rough. I hope they even it out a bit before the next time it is delivered. I found it hard to follow and didn't flow. But then the sweat was flowing so maybe it took me out of the comfort zone and that's always a good thing.

I had to spend at least two hours at the gym this morning since I put the 'crittur' bombs around the house and you can't go back in for at least two hours. When I got back the dying bodies were coming out of the cracks and fissures and now I have to sweep them all up. Such fun, but has to be done or the 'critturs' would run the world downunder.

More gym tomorrow and then out to a 'Belated Bierfest Barbeque' and no I won't be drinking the beer. I'm a complete clutz when it comes to beer and the only time I will ever touch it is on a stinking hot afternoon after a day in the garden, the beer has to be nearly at the slush puppy stage and then I might have one. Beer has been known to go off in my fridge!!!

So on to the Christmas letter and then post all the cards and letters overseas and locally. My NZ niece has beaten the lot of us - but then she was always organised - and I got her card yesterday. I wonder if life will ever get quiet and tame and I can rock in my chair on the verandah and knit!!! - Nah, no one to knit for anymore.

Haera Ra

stagemomx3
12-03-2005, 04:38 AM
No Soda Day 19
Abs Day 13
No Chocolate Day 2

I'm off to bed now. It's 1:30am and I can barely keep my eyes open. I had fun tonight though!

Sushi Penguin
12-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Meh, sometimes I really don't understand how come I gained weight... I don't drink sodas or juices, don't eat fast food, don't drink alcohol, don't like candy or cakes or pastries and thus don't eat them, have always preferred light meals, walked a lot and so on... But I know the culprits: too much Quaker cereal; too much chocolate!!!; too much ice cream. :lol:

I'm doing the "no food after 7 pm" thing as well, have been for years. :) In fact, when I didn't adhere to it was when I gained the weight. So I'm there for anyone who is doing it, or would like to. Some days struggling, most days doing just fine. Tonight I'm hungry, but that's because I didn't have enough food during the day.

Had to go running alone today, as Steve's shoes were too wet to wear. We did go hiking you see, and it was very very very wet. :) Got a look from some guy who sped past me in a truck - and leaned out of the window and turned his head back to give me the said look. I'm going to tell myself he liked my hair.

Day 16
ran 4'02" (most of it was uphill), walked 3'27", ran 8'04", walked 4'23", ran 7'18", total time is 26'16", out of which 7'50" was walked and 19'24" was ran. :cb: :cheer:

Running is becoming easy and enjoyable! Perhaps I should switch this challenge with the one I'm doing on "Week at a Time", which is at least 10 minutes on the stationary bike with stretching afterwards AND no sweets (as in, no chocolate :lol: ). I absolutely hate that machine... and any other machine of the kind... :lol:
Proud to say I did it the first thing in the morning today, and that I've been making myself do it for over a week now.
Completed Day 6 of crunches in the morning as well. Or wait, I've already posted that. :lol:

I finally got in touch with the coach at the local tennis club... $50/hr for private instruction. :eek: :eek: :eek: At the club around the corner from my work I get private lessons for $20/hr...

Anyhow, I'm off to make plans for tomorrow... want to go see Portable Iron Houses. :)

redballoon
12-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Hello, all! Should be doing work but came in here to get caught up. I am terrible when it comes to procrastinating on a story, waiting till the deadline is upon me...well, I got those crunches done this morning, so the challenge is done for today. It's nice when it's not something you have to be vigilant about all day long, isn't it? I think this is my first such challenge..

Sushi -- It's a shame, really, that you gain weight when you don't eat so much of so many things, but again, it's not the variety, is it. it's just the calories and you can certainly get fat on chocolate and ice cream. That said, you are so light to begin with! 137 (or around there!?) pounds!! I'd be a stick. No, actually, if I had a lot of muscle I think I'd be pretty lean, then again, who knows, I don't know what that is in kgs, don't feel like figuring it now....god, I am tired. Am sick again, chest pains, sore throat. Well, Sushi, I suppose the guy was checking YOU out, not the hair, and liked what he saw. Why is that hard for you to believe? Congrats on Day 16! Wow! :woo: You're almost done!

Shad -- The beer police will be visiting you shortly.....beer "going off" in your fridge?!?!? :eek: That's sacrilege! And, I'm pretty sure it constitutes a federal crime in Australia! :mad: Knitting? You can knit for me. How 'bout a little coat for a runty Papillon. There is one at the riding club and it is so tiny I can't believe they probably paid tons of yen for it. But it is very cute, just because I have a hard time believing it's a dog! There is also a big Lab, a small Jack Russell and a French bulldog. That should keep you busy, no? :lol: Good going on the crunches and it sounds like you had quite a workout in the gym! Way to go! :cp: :strong:

Phoe -- :welcome3: Hello there! :wave: Glad to have you aboard! Your challenge sounds like a great one. It will be hard, but with a bit of planning it'll become easy. I would suggest finding a couple good lunches that you can make the night before. In the beginning repitition can make it easier.

CBETA -- Good luck! :dance:
stagemom -- Triple challenger!! :flame: You are sizzling! Major kudos to you! :spin:

Well, let's see. We have a lot of people showing up regularly now and new faces. But where are some of our old regulars? :dunno: Mez?! friends?! icedragon, I saw that new avatar! Wow! stacy? You only showed up a couple times, I think....Anyone else who hasn't shown up in a while? Come on back!! :flow1:

Sushi Penguin
12-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Red, 65 kg as of last Wednesday. It says that the tracker isn't right :lol:
I know it's not THAT much, and that many here on 3FC struggle with A LOT more. But still, it's a big thing for me. Having been at 117 two and a half years ago, 144 or 137 isn't light, nope.
I don't have to eat ice cream or chocolate... it's enough if I eat the recommended 3 meals/day with reasonable portion sizes and I gain weight!!!! This is just insane, but that's the way it is for me.

I'm actually posting because I found one of my old threads. Heck, I don't think I actually believed I could do what I'm doing now!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61214

derrydaughter
12-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Good day everyone! I'm on day 4 today and feeling pleased with the results so far. I am back on Weight Watchers and have been journalling and totally on track with their program. If feels comforting and like and "old friend" right now to me. My home scale is still showing me down about three pounds from the beginning of the week. Nothing official until WW weights me in, but I am relieved.
Today, I might start some exercise as well, but I am not ready to make that part of my challenge yet. My challenge is to be on the WW program with food and journal for now. I'm doing it!
Congrats to the rest of you for your sucesses. Red, way to go with that scale success!
Welcome to CBETA, it is hard to start up anything like this and committ yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back.
Sushi, that guy in the pick up truck was looking at how marvelous you looked running for sure! I admire runners and just have never been able to get into it.
Linda

curlylocks
12-03-2005, 07:36 AM
yesterday was day 20 for me.. 1 hr at the LWE, circuit/resistance training....

sushi: I also told the dr that i did not over eat.. but what i have found is that i am very sensitive to carbs/sugar.. and it doesnt have to be obvious sugars>> it can be high glycemic fruits, vegetables, pasta, white rice etc,cereals, white flour ... what i found is that just about everything i loved... was a high glycemic food>>> beets, corn, noodles,

foods that have a high glycemic value turn straight to FAT! & carbs act like sugars before exercise can burn them off before they hit your liver.. where as proteins are used instantly by the body for fuel

perhaps you should add more protein to your diet, u can add a protein supplement (whey protein powder) that will only cost you @ 120 calories...

Red: i am like u when i was in college and had papers to do i did my best writing at crunch time.. i worked on the ideas in my head.. but never wrote a word till the day before it was due! for some reason it seems to work better that way! something about the creative flow!

eesabella
12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Hello Everyone! Is it okay if I join you?! 21 days of anything is really daunting :fr: I want to try the week at a time challenge too, so I guess I will join in on Monday, if that's cool!

Here are some of the things that I want to work on:

Eating under 1800 Calories a day (I know it's TERRIBLE).
Working out every day (I used to be good at this! :?: )
Getting outside every day - so maybe taking a walk outside, even though it's cold.

I guess for the 21 challenge, I'll do eating under 1800 calories a day. I think that is probably the most important one!! Level 2. I may not lose at 1800, but I don't think I will gain!

Then maybe I'll do the walk every day for the week at a time challenge. How do you work that around rain days?! I don't think I will walk in the rain - definitly not the cold rain!!

Well, I guess I should introduce myself! I joined 3FC a few weeks ago. I got involved with a group on the Buddy Up area and disappeared for a week! :nono: I decided to get involved in more than one group and after searching for the last week, here I am! I am 26 and live with my boyfriend and two cats in Maryland. I work from home and enjoy gardening, reading, cooking, beading and other arts and crafts!

I guess that's really all I have to say about myself! Looking forward to getting to know all of you!! Oh, yesterday I was under 1800 (go me!) but today is Day 1 of course!

Ees

stagemomx3
12-03-2005, 02:45 PM
No Soda Day 19
Abs Day 14
No Chocolate Day 2

Workout finished now.

curlylocks
12-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Day 21 !!! 1 hr of circuit/resistance training!

now to think up a new challenge for the next go round!

stagemomx3
12-03-2005, 05:42 PM
:bravo: Curly! :cp:

Phoesarah
12-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Day 21 !!! 1 hr of circuit/resistance training!

now to think up a new challenge for the next go round!
Congratulations curly!!!

redballoon
12-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Good morning, everyone. I am not happy this morning. Went to bed feeling sick and it has gotten worse. Had to cancel out riding and I feel so bad doing that. I so miss my horse and I know she looks for me. But, with this trip coming up to Hong Kong, I couldn't afford to get any worse. Nothing worse than traveling when you're sick. :( So, I decided to stay home, get this story written that is hanging over my head and try to prepare for the trip a bit. I had planned to ride, go to the gym and then get home and do the story. What a bummer. This happens a lot. I was all fired up because of the weight loss and was fired up in general enough to be out there exercising. I didn't think I was overdoing it but I guess I was or at least I was for the onslaught of whatever germs are around me. Oh well, the extra sleep has surely done me good. I will do the crunches at some point in the day and get back to you to report a victorious Day 6...when it is in the bag! :yes:

curly -- :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: THREE CHEERS FOR CURLY!!! :cp: :woo: :encore: :woo: :cp: :cb: :dancer: Congratulations on completing YET ANOTHER challenge round!! Come back soon with another one! :yes:

stagemom -- Good for you! :cp:

eesabella -- :welcome3: Hello! :wave: Of course you can join us! Please do! Yes, 21 days is a lot of anything, mostly because it is the consistency that makes anything really hard. Most of us can do most anything for a short time, but sticking to it consistently, long enough and often enough for it to really make a change in our bodies or our lives, is not easy at all. I think persistence is perhaps the hardest thing there is. Well, it sounds like you've taken on quite a difficult challenge right off the bat. But, 1,800 calories is one where if you eat good foods you should not feel hungry AND you may still have a bit left over for some sweets or whatever your indulgence is. That said, is it EVER a matter of eating because we feel hungry?!?! Not often, right? The week at a time challenge is a separate challenge and has nothing to do with here so I don't know their rules. I think you decide with that though, not sure. I walk in all sorts of weather. I have to. Walking in rain can be quite fun, but you have to dress right. I have ponchos and rain suits for when the wind is too strong for an umbrella or I can't use an umbrella because it'll spook the horses (I often work at a racehorse training center). If you think of yourself as gearing up for a mountain hike where you have to be prepared for whatever the elements throw you, you will feel and be much more in control and not jeopardize success with a ready excuse. By the way, we don't mind if you declare a retro start and call this Day 2. Sometimes it helps get you started. A few of us, myself included, have done that. Kind of like doing it before you realize you're doing it. But, it's your call, of course! Well, hope to hear lots from you! Good luck! :goodluck:

derry -- :bravo: on getting through to Day 4! :yes: I am very happy to hear that you are doing well with your old friend WW. I think I gain the most inspiration from people like you, who clearly battle the ups and downs of life and our own inner obstacles AND YET pull through for periods of visible success. I wish they may be long ones! Note I said "visible" because I think the very fact that you do not give up is a success but one that does not outwardly look like one. The scale inching downward was an enormous lift to me. It has not moved in so long I was starting to think I was stuck here forever. I think a big part of the weight loss came about because I had, through my no-sugar and no-white-flour challenges, learned to break the stranglehold on those trigger foods. However, the extreme restriction was causing me to still overeat, although I was eating healthful foods. Now, though my challenge is nonfood related, I am still on a diet or trying to be and allowing myself anything but I have guidelines that are more or less imprinted on my psyche. This is the ultimate goal, to be able to eat and exercise in a way that will get the weight off and THEN, perhaps more importantly, KEEP it off. Days like today, where I am frustrated and depressed because of the enforced change of plans, are the most trying. But I can do it! I have a bit of inspiration now. You too, Linda, keep it up. You are a very strong woman and very hard on yourself. You can do this for yourself and will! Best of luck!

Sushi -- Ok, thanks for the math. You're a tad taller than me but yes, I can see how you would want to weigh less. Also, I have tons of muscle, seem to always have it. If you don't then 117 is not unbelievable. Also, I am understanding more and more now (perhaps because I live in a land of reed people!) where someone can not simply be happy with looking good or being healthy but actually prefer to be skinny, prefer a will-o-the-wisp type body over a more substantial one. I think it's wonderful that there are all sorts of body types out there. I miss that here as people tend to be the same. Your talk of such low numbers has me thinking, yes I can get there too and I find it quite inspiring! Good luck and, oh, thanks for the running thread. I always liked running but got into weight training so heavily (pun intended!) that I packed on the muscle and that is not conducive to running. Now, I still want to keep up some weight training but force myself to go lighter and concentrate on the running. An old marathon training book has surfaced in my room and I am thinking of getting into it again. Ok, 'nuff outta me! :blah:

curlylocks
12-03-2005, 07:54 PM
thank u all for the cheers!!!

awww Red i hope u are feeling better soon! Red maybe u need to try the protein powder as well.. protein fills u up .. and shuts off the hungries

wow we have 3 maryland gals on this thread now!!!

Apple Blossom
12-03-2005, 08:28 PM
:cheer: CURLY!!!!:cheer: CURLY!!!!:cheer:
Way to go! I think you must be the 21 day challenge record holder!!!!:hat:
:cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp:

Day 3 SWN, Day 2 WALK Done!

Welcome newbies and :wave: to everyone else!
Red, keep riding that 1 pound karma!!!!Hope you feel better soon!

redballoon
12-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks, curly. Thanks, Apple! Actually, though I'd kept my weight tracker at 158, I had probably gained and was above that but didn't want to change it. I only change it to reflect the lowest weight I've been at (in recent days). So, actually it was more than a 1-lb. loss. I'd been thinking I had totally blown it for Hong Kong and would be way above where I had been. But, NO! :encore:

Apple, I am holding that victory foremost in my mind and adding it to ....

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens...

...Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things...

...When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad."

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Oh, yes, excellent article here on a bodybuilding site. Hardcore and tough, but maybe some of ya'll get something out of it. Check it out! http://www.burnthefat.com/?doc=faqs&qaid=202

carla49
12-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Day 2 complete for both wine and chocolate challenges.

!!!!!!!!!! Curly !!!!!!!!!!!!

Five challenges under your belt - you so rock! Yabadabadoo!!!

Stagemom is sneaking up on her first completed challenge too!

Red, sorry to hear you're sick. What a bummer! Maybe it's because you're getting so skinny? Don't beat yourself up for the day in bed - you must have needed it, and you'll feel better tomorrow. Meanwhile the cat (cats?) has had a lovely day with someone to cuddle.

I've spent much of the day snivelling in a corner after reading the entirely unwarranted attacks on my character certain people have been posting. :cry: (You know who you are!!) But I take strength in the certainty that I am, as always, a paragon of virtue and obedience.:angel:

But now I have to go. I'll be back once I get over the pain.;)

stagemomx3
12-03-2005, 09:25 PM
No Soda Day 20
Abs Day 14
No Chocolate Day 3

Great article Red! Thanks for passing it along.

redballoon
12-03-2005, 09:28 PM
carla -- Oh, my! What sort of horrid people would possibly attack you?! :?: I can't fathom it. May they be struck down with sore throats and colds! :mad: Yes, my goodness, Paragon of Virtue is your middle name and yet some people just get the wrong idea. This happens to me as well. People think I like to drink...BEER, of all things?!?!?, that I actually enjoy saying outrageous things, and that I am something of a taskmaster. :nono: Don't know where they get those ideas!? :dunno: Well, carla, you just let me get my hands on those people giving you trouble and I'll deal with them, k?

Joking aside, you know we only love you and that's why we have our fun. :hug: Actually, there's no bed here and the cats (three of 'em) are having to make use of their own body heat, not mine. I am at the computer here trying to make headway on this story. I hate having to do yet another rehash on an old race. Not complaining but it is a drag, especially when I'd rather be out with the horses myself or at least in the gym sweating till I drop. I probably shouldn't go to the gym but think I will. It does lift my spirits and it would still be less than what I had planned to do. I don't think I'm anywhere near "skinny" but it's a thought. I knew something was fishy when I started breaking out on my nose! Horrors! (something that almost never happens). I guess my body was just saying, no more fat metabolizing! You're supposed to store that stuff not burn it off! But, I am rebelling big time. Oooh, it feels gooooood!! And carla, congrats on getting through Day 2! Rock on!! :dancer:

stagemom -- Glad you liked the article! :spin: That looks like another day down on two of your challenges. Taking a pause on the abs? Which, reminds me, I should knock them out soon before I forget.

stagemomx3
12-03-2005, 09:35 PM
No pause on the abs, I did them this morning and added the day when I posted earlier.

redballoon
12-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh, ok, great going stagemom. I didn't check back far enough. A big hand to you for yet another day of victory on your three-way challenge!! :flow1:

alteaon
12-03-2005, 10:02 PM
:coffee: I think this thread is an answer to my prayers- an omen, even...I've kind of started my own challenges before finding this thread, but it's great that other people are doing the same thing.

I am on day 5 of drinking no soda ( just water, and some coffee: :coffee: ),
and day 1 of no chocolate...the no soda challenge is def. a level 1, but the chocolate is a level 3. I find it may be early in the game for such a hardcore challenge, but it just feels right. I cut down before getting to this point, so it's not like cold turkey.

My decision was prompted by a post I had written a few weeks ago. I was feeling sorry for myself and my stalled weight loss, and looking for ideas, many ppl suggested trying one thing at a time...so that's what I'm doing. It makes it stick more and become more managable. I don't want to fall of thew wagon, but if I do, the more I try the easier it'll be. The next biggie for me is daily exersize, but I don't want to put too much on my plate.

Thanks to you for starting this thread and keeping it going. We have some awesome successes ( Curly, Stagemom, all those i forgot names), those who are facing challenges like me..and everyon's infectious attitude.

Well, that's that...

redballoon
12-03-2005, 10:17 PM
alteaon -- :welcome2: "Average White Girl" :rofl: I don't think you're too "average" if you write that under your name! :dizzy: Love it! Well, we've been called a LOT of things around here, but "an answer to prayers" and "an omen" have NOT been among them! Wow! I feel honored! Actually, you were probably picking up on our energy when you started those challenges as we've been doing these for months and months now. We are a highly influential bunch...and many of us do love being "under the influence" as well! :lol3: Ok, NO NAMES!!! ;)

Well, alte (I abbreviate everything) sounds like you're going to the wall this time, stealth starts and cutting off the soda and chocolate (yes, definitely a Level 3 for our chocolate lovers). Hardcore is good! Check out that article link I posted earlier (don't know about the contortions that chick is going through up on top or her rather unnatural proportions...but beyond that it's a good article). You and I are about the same weight though you're taller than me (not many people aren't!) Don't worry about falling off the wagon. Just get back on. Some of us don't achieve liftoff for days on end, but the more courageous among us just keep coming back for more. Hope to see lots of you! :goodluck:

Fonty
12-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Day three of water challenge completed. Today i cut it close. Busy busy. having a great weekend I hope?time for bed 10:45 on sat.

CBETA
12-03-2005, 11:26 PM
:wave:

:wave: Hi cbeta. I would love to join you in the no food after 7pm although i will have to make it 9pm because i get off work at 7pm so i guess 9 pm is okay right? im a bad night eater just because i get so bored. :yawn:

Great. *shaking a hand* lets do it! When is your first day?

So here is my today's report:
Challenge A: Level 2 - gapl galp galp..... DAY 1 (Dec 3) is completed!!!!
Challenge C: Level 3 - it is 8:25 last time I ate it was around 4pm, I will be strong and even if friends show up, I will resist... will report tomorrow!

CBETA
12-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Welcome to CBETA, it is hard to start up anything like this and committ yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Linda, unfotunately there is nothing to give me a pat on the back for.
You see I have this problem. It takes me a very long time to start. My initial first trial was at Thanksgiving 2003 then again April1, 2004. The second start ended somewhere around mid June the same year, since than for over a year I've avoided doing anything, making excuses and often being mad that I do nothing, yet continuing to do same nothing.
I am scared to make a life long change, as I am scared that I will be one of these people who constanstaly say: "oh, I will not try this, it is fattening", or they will say "no, I won't go out I am watching my weight", I tend to think that they are not living their life to the fullest. Yet, I realize the need for change, and in order for me to start and try to lose the weight again, I must forget about what other think, just concentrate on how great I felt back when I started loosing, how much my parents want that for me ....
Sorry I know last paragraph is not very condusive to our goals, but I often think of that, I don't want to lie to myself, I think I will just have to learn to live with this lifelong change, because if I do this huge walk back to normal weight I must work just as hard to keep it off.
-worried and frustrated CBETA

chaigirl
12-03-2005, 11:56 PM
This 21 day challenge business sounds like just the sort of motivator I have been looking for. I am new to 3fatchicks forums and brand new to this thread, but not new to the weight loss rollercoaster by any stretch of the imagination! I'm starting out with two challenges. I'll start my challenges tomorrow, as if I were to start today I would have to guzzle 80 oz of water in 5 min and somehow manage to walk 20 min when there are only 5 left in the day :dizzy:

A) water challenge: 80 ounces of water per day (that's four of my trusty red water bottle) - level 1

B) exercise challenge: at least 20 minutes of walking every day - level two.

Keep On Truckin!
Erin :carrot:

CBETA
12-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Well, few more hours passed almost two, and today marks the beggining of a new life. For about 8 month two friends were constanstly at my home and as they end work at 9pm we normally would cook dinner till 10:30 sometimes we would finish eating by midnight and then straight to bed on a full stomach.
Who gained the weight? me, they are both gymanstic coaches mother and daughter, mother the coach for Ukraininan girls who participated in 1996 Olimpics in Atlanta, no wonder how she is built!
Anyway, so in the efforts to help them I bought a computer for them and for the longest time I kept it in my bedroom. That soft of helped as everynight her daughter did homework on it, and I was not alone, yet ate too late. As part of my challenge I made a consicios decision. I called up my ex (we are friends) and he helped me fix what I did not know how to.. ( I am also into IT), so just a few minutes ago, they picked up the pc. Now my life is to myself. I can go to the gym not trying to accomodate their schedule, not eat after 7 and go to bed at a normal hour that in turn leaves me enought time for dinner and gym. I feel better, I know I might secretly regret it, but i want to put myself first enough is enough.
With this thought I am on to bed. I wish you all the very best of Sunday.
CBETA

redballoon
12-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Ok, Day 6 is done! I walked to the gym in the rain (45 mins.), then jogged 3K, did some weights and the crunches, and walked home again! Hurrah! I didn't push it, didn't go for 5K, didn't go heavy on the weights and so I don't think I'll have aggravated my cold. Let's hope not. Now to catch up here and wrap up my story so I can be free to get to the gym tomorrow morning before work if I feel up to it. :dizzy:

Fonty -- Good to see you're chugging away there. Keep it up and get your water in early!

CBETA -- :bravo: on getting through Day 1 of your water challenge and I am hoping you made it through Day 1 of your no nighttime eating challenge. From the sounds of your second post, it seems you did!! :cp: :cp:

It sounds like a very difficult situation you have there with your friends coming in late and cooking. I'm not sure I understand totally thought, if this is over or just was not the case last night. In any case, I think you should talk to your friends about your plans and get them to support you instead of trying to merely resist temptation.

And as for pats on the back, I think if you are truly starting up and have decided to do something about your weight, then one is certainly deserved. Stop putting yourself down for what is obviously a move forward. If you are here with us and you are serious about keeping your challenge going, then you have made a commitment and like derry says, that is not an easy thing, as you yourself just verified with your tale of perpetual procrastination! :yes:

As for your worry about not "living life to the fullest" that all depends on your interpretation of the word "fullest" I suppose :lol: but I think you need to TAKE OFF THE BLINDERS and look around at all there is to be had out there and not restrict yourself to insisting on getting "what you want" because getting what you want now means you're not getting a lot of other things.

Everything is a choice, and certain choices cancel out other things, so in effect you are making much more than the choice to have whatever food you want in whatever quantity you want. You are also saying, unconsciously of course, NO! to many any things. Remember that! Besides CB, you don't have to be anything you don't want to be. There are many ways to make choices when it comes to food and you should find a plan that fits you AND will allow you to lose weight. You don't have to whine and fret over food and make a thing of it in front of others if that is not your style and something you don't like to see others doing.

Remember, too, that losing and maintaining are different. Some of us choose to cut things out totally while we're in the losing phase and then add them back in small quantities or only occasionally later once we're maintaining a certain weight. By coming here and onto this thread you are hardly "lying" to yourself!! :nono: I would say that you are being very truthful, perhaps for the first time, or the first time in a long time. You are seeing that there is ALWAYS a tradeoff and you have to know how to bargain. Knowing how to bargain in life and come out meeting your goals isn't so much about restriction as it is about saying yes to more and more things. The way to open your world to the opportunities out there is to put other things in perspective, instead of allowing them to be such a big part of your focus and your life.

Remember, make a plan that fits you AND moves you to your goals. Go for it, girl!! :dancer:

chaigirl -- :welcome: Hello there! Water and walking, is this a challenge with two factors or are you going to split them? I guess you're splitting them since I see you chose different levels. Well good luck and write often! :goodluck:

Shad
12-04-2005, 06:10 AM
Curly - I bow to thee of Queen of the Challenges!!! Can't find a bowing smilie so I found this.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/gunbo1/takeabow.jpg

Did my normal gym work this morning and then the crunches so I have been good - at least with that anyway. I went to lunch with a chef and his wife and they always over cater and I always overindulge. Good thing I am not doing a food challenge isn't it.

Can't think who Carla is whinging about!!!! We are all very nice to her - sympathetic - but nice.

Well I'd love to stop and chat - but......
a: it is getting late and I have done absolutely nothing all day except go to the gym and eat lunch and hang out some washing. It's been so hot and I'm so full that all I wanted to do this afternoon was sleep - so I did.
I put a load of bombs around the house yesterday since I was becoming invaded by the 'critturs' Today I should have swept up the dead bodies, but they are still crawling out of the woodwork to die. I'll now leave it all until tomorrow. That will give the 'critturs' a further chance to come out. I hate the sub-tropics in the humid summer months. This week will be very busy - not workwise but house wise as I've not done a skerrick of housework all weekend except put the bombs around. Lazy sausage.

It seems that we are doing reasonably well on our many and varied challenges. Red, I'm sorry to hear you are not well. Just keep pushing on to the gym and loosening it up around the edges. Plenty or stretching for those hamstrings etc. I may have to buy myself one of those swiss balls for exercising around the house. No maybe not, I may not be able to get off the thing and will spend the rest of my days going around and around draped over the ball.

I'm also babbling. Too many entries to go back and reply to them all. I'm off for a cup of tea, make breakfast, pack the gym bag and then bed. I did some shopping on Friday, but heck I don't seem to have gotten anything for lunches for the week. I'm out of nori and rice papers and bread and yet I spent 170.00 - what on earth did I buy???

curlylocks
12-04-2005, 09:22 AM
ahhhh horsies! i would love to learn to ride.. (achooo) i am so allergic to horses.. better dose up on the benedryl b4 i ever try!

OK .. its time to start up a new challenge.. ive done the water thing, (thats habit now) the exercise thing (thats a habit now)
i have noticed my self picking at goodies at my moms house .. and i am craving SUGAR!!!!!!!!

so this round .. i am going to make myself record every morsel that goes into my mouth on fit day and report my calories each day as my challenge.. also i will tighten up on the carbs...

i will still continue with my exercise but my challenge is to monitor my calories... and nothing to eat after 7 pm!

okies i will be back tonight to make my day 1 report!

RED PLZ B CAREFUL THAT U DONT OVERHEAT & GET A CHILL IN THAT RAIN! we need u well ...

SillyFluff
12-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Day 2 and 3 were completed. Just didn't get on the computer long enough to do much more. Worked late last night and the night before. One was cuz I had to hvae my boss give me a ride home. And last night was cuz we have 3 birthday parties today. I'm about to eat some breakfast now. Since I'll be there all day. So I'll post tonight when I get home and eat dinner. Later ladies

eesabella
12-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Hello Everyone! What an active group!! This is great! At the moment, no one is posting in my other group aside from me, so this is nice!

I am going to take the unplanned first day that I stayed under 1800 calories!

So I have completed Day 2 :carrot:

The pause days - are they supposed to be planned?

Red, you have totally motivated me to walk in the rain! I do enjoy it - just not the cold rain... but if I gear up for it, I may enjoy it! It will be so much better to make it a point to stick to my challenge regardless of the obstacles that may come up. What do you do for a living? It sounds like you are a writer with a hobby of riding horses? Are you from Japan? I went to Japan with my sister when I was 14. It was one of my favorite trips! We stayed in Yokohama City for the first week and Kyoto for the second week. I think what stood out the most for me about the trip was how clean Japan is and how safe I felt. I read the article you posted! I'm so motivated to do the right thing over the Holidays. I have never had a planned cheat exactly. When I lost the first 8 pounds (about 3 years ago), I allowed myself to cheat whenever I went to my parent's house. So I usually had a big bowl of ice cream. But now my mom and I are doing craft shows together and I see my parent's way to much to cheat whenever I visit. I'm sorry to hear that you are sick!! I hope you feel better in time for your trip!!

:bravo: to Stage and Curly on completing your challenges!!

CBETA - You were telling Linda that you don't deserve a pat on the back because you have tried to start your diet over and over again (I hope I am understanding you correctly). I believe that you absolutely deserve a pat on the back for your determination! I quit smoking cold turkey just over 4 months ago. I tried to quit soooo many times over the year before I actually quit. I tried to quit 3 times I believe it was in the same month that I actually did! During that time, I did a lot of research on the web about quitting smoking. One website I went to said that the more times you try to quit, the more likely you are to succeed in the end. With each attempt you gain more knowledge about how to quit, what will work for you, what caused you to go back to smoking. This goes for dieting or making your lifestyle change as well!! I cut my fast food eating to once a month when I dieted 3 years ago. I cut it down to not eating fast food at all this try. I cut soda out when I dieted a year ago. Oprah quoted someone else on a recent show, "Power is strength over time." You try to diet and fail, you use your strength to try again and again and again. As Oprah said, "One day you wake up, and you are powerful!" Anyway, sorry to go on such a long rant CBETA! Congratulations on making the huge change you did - removing your friend's computer!!

Shad - :lol: I love that horse picture!!

:thanks: for the warm welcome everyone!!

Ees!

Sushi Penguin
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Completed Day no whichever (Day 9???) of crunches yesterday and Day 17 of running. I'm lost with which day of crunches I'm on... no... it was Day 8 I think. Okay. It was Day 8.

Day 17
ran 10'33", walked 2'05", ran 1'07" then stopped to chat with boyfriend
ran again for 12'08"
total time ran is 22 min 41 sec

Today is a pause day for running, as there is no way I'll fit it in.

Must go now

redballoon
12-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Heh, all. Monday morning here. This is the my Day 7, but I'm just up and haven't gotten "down" to the crunches just yet.
Not much time here but I just wanted to catch up.

eesabella -- Congrats on completing Day 2!! You can plan the pause days if you like, of course, but they don't have to be. ees, you make a great point to CB about all the things you learn when you "fail." And, I'm so glad I have motivated you to walk in the rain. I love looking around outdoor and hiking stores. Nowadays, with all the technical clothing it is just amazing. Warm, light, dries instantly, great fashions and colors. I could spend tons in outdoor stores! No, I'm not from Japan, though I've been here over 20 years. I'm originally from Pittsburgh and yes, I ride horses and have my own horse here and am into dressage. Glad you liked Japan. Yes, it is incredibly safe and clean. Good luck on your challenge! Remember the line....If you fail to plan then plan to fail!! Plan those cheats if you like. Plan those trips to your parents.

curly -- Tough challenge! Go for it! And thanks for the get well wishes! :sunny:

Silly -- :cp: :cp: Three birthday parties!! :woo: Yowzah!

Shad -- You're doing great! Exercising away there. Is that you on the horse?

Sushi -- Glad to hear you're going strong. Keep it up!! :spin:

alteaon
12-04-2005, 05:19 PM
It's day 2 for the chocolate issue, and day 6 of drinking no soda...I've been really sleepy all day, and ended up quarrelling with a bag of oyster crackers. I purchased them to eat with soups, but I should have known better. Part of me wants to toss them out because I usually end up eating them, esp. when I'm not hungry. In a fight with the oyster crackers, it was a tie. I ate part of them, not the whole thing, and they are now in the pantry. WIth the crackers, it made me think about the whole carb thing. I know that I can not give up all carbs. Mainly because I just don't want to. It doesn't seem natural or all that do able to me. However, I can easily cut down on them. I'm not making it an "official challenge" yet, but I'm going to attempt it. Maybe, like sugar, if I cut down on how much carbs I eat, I won't crave them as much? Maybe? Huh? I hope so.

I've been reading about people who do not eat after certain times in teh evening, like seven or eight. Does this really make a difference? I work all sorts of different hours, and often times dont' get done with work until nine. If I eat at four o'clock ( lunch time at work), I am hungry by the time I get home. I've tried to fall asleep adn ignore it, but I get up in the middle of the night, too hungry to eat well...I just eat it. Like a bear at a campsite, going through cupboards and what not.

My dad is not an avid dieter, but he is effective in losing weight. When I asked him what he does, he said he just cuts out sweets, drinks more water, cuts down on carbs, eats smaller portions, and tries to get inmore exersize. Perhaps I am looking too hard for a plan, like a published book or something, when many times it's common sense.

The only question I have, is for everyone who is doing a challenge that eliminates or cuts down on sweets and salty things, how are you going to handle Christmas? I know in my family that's a toughie...I want a defense so I dont' feel sorry for myself for not "being allowed" to have those things. My mother in law is going to lose weight, but she's not starting until Jan 1. I'm starting now...

::: What is this thing: :dance: , I know it's dancing, but what is it? Coolwhip?

Shad
12-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Ha ha ha :lol3: :lol: :rofl: Shad on a horse! :lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl:
It's so long since I have been on a horse - or even a racetrack, I've almost forgotten which end bites and which end kicks. :lol3: :lol: :rofl::lol3: :lol: :rofl:

curlylocks
12-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Day #1 total calories= 1472

alteon: speaking for myself I have no plans to treat myself for christmas... you can remake any type of treat so that it is healthy....

I have a long way to go.. and being thin & making my goal will be better than any christmas cookie could ever be..

but thats just my view.. as for others i'm sure one day off program wont ruin all your progress.. just cut back the next day..

Apple Blossom
12-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Day 4 SWN and Day 3 WALK
I can't believe how busy we are!! Wow! What's going to happen when New Years comes along???!!!

SillyFluff
12-04-2005, 10:16 PM
*yawn*
I'm EXHAUSTED!! Three birthday parties is TOO MUCH for one day. The kids from the first one acted like they had no home training. They tore up the bathroom (I have no idea how) and they just wrecked the place. The second group was too calm. Seemed like none of them were used to birthday parties. And the third one. *shakes her head* It was bad LOL. And to top it off...Well ok let me explain this first before I get into it. I'm not sure if I told yall this, but I've been working with preschool kids for YEARS!! I taught preschool in my home and in daycare centers. Where I work now is NOT a preschool or a daycare for that matter. Its a parent/child developmental play center. We offer programs which promote socialization, motor development, cognitive and so on. So I've been around a WIDE variety of childen, from above to below the average as far as development is concerned. But something just erked my nerves about that last party. There was a 3yr old who did not speak a word. Not a word. HONESTLY. All he did was grunt. THats its. And the thing that erked me was that the mom wasnt concerned. I mean an average 2 year old has a vocabulary of about 250 words. Thats just textbook average. And an average 3 year old should have a vocabulary of about 1000 words. And if it were my child I'd be at the pediatrician ASAP and have them referr me to a specialist. Cuz a 3 year old that can't say ANY words at all would worry me. I know its none of my business. Buts its sorta my job and I can't help but notice things like that. Maybe I'm just tired. LOL Anyhoo. Tomorrow I gotta call Curves. My friend got me a free month there so I can try it out. She LOVES it so I wanted to see for myself. Once the boyfriend gets over whatever it is he has (he wont listen to me, but I think he has bronchitis) we will start walkin every day again. Ok, I gotta get a shower. I just feel yucky all over. Have a good night ladies.

Fluff

carla49
12-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Day 3 in the bag. (Hey - who's calling whom a bag???) Seriously though, on target for both challenges. And the scale did seem to move this morning! If it's still down tomorrow, I'll change my ticker.

So many newcomers - who knew that many people would have the courage to start a 21-day challenge this close to Christmas! I think we all deserve a collective pat on the back, with extra-large bravos for the new arrivals. :D

Sushi, you're sneaking up nicely on a completed challenge. :bravo:

I'm gearing up mentally for a week back at work :kickcan: , so I'd better hit the hay early.

stagemomx3
12-05-2005, 12:11 AM
No Soda Day 21 Challenge Completed:encore:
Abs Day 15
No Chocolate Day 4

CBETA
12-05-2005, 12:11 AM
CBETA -- :bravo: on getting through Day 1 of your water challenge and I am hoping you made it through Day 1 of your no nighttime eating challenge. From the sounds of your second post, it seems you did!! :cp: :cp:
Yup, I did make it all the way yesterday.

It sounds like a very difficult situation you have there with your friends coming in late and cooking. I'm not sure I understand totally thought, if this is over or just was not the case last night. In any case, I think you should talk to your friends about your plans and get them to support you instead of trying to merely resist temptation.
Well in the past they have been here and one of the reasons was the computer that was sitting in my bedroom. As it is gone, I will purposely try avoiding our meetings. Addionally even if they are here, I plan not to come to the table, not come and help in the kitchen I am hoping it will work bi-fold, they will not like cooking alone and if I stay away w/o help I will feel embarassed to eat with them. I think I can do it!
They would like to help, and do want to visit the gym with me, but as they end work at 9pm they are unable to catch dinner until after.

And as for pats on the back, I think if you are truly starting up and have decided to do something about your weight, then one is certainly deserved.

Dear, redballon.
I've read and re-read what you wrote. Seriously thank you so much. I definitely see the reason in your words. Thank you so much for your support.
tears are in my eyes... thank you...(sorry I am not very good with what I wanted to express, perhaps I will write more soon)

CBETA
12-05-2005, 12:17 AM
CBETA - You were telling Linda that you don't deserve a pat on the back because you have tried to start your diet over and over again (I hope I am understanding you correctly). I believe that you absolutely deserve a pat on the back for your determination! I quit smoking cold turkey just over 4 months ago!............
essabella, Thank you very much for your kind words. Everyone is so inspirational, at times when i read I feel that I can move mountains.... seriously perhaps I shall start reading in the morning so I have a full day ahead of me... I congrat you on loosing your smoking habit. I myself, an occasional smoker...(1 pack for 1-1.5 month) more social kind with company (hmm 1 person remains smoking, rest live far away even an ex got rid of his habit, has been smoke free for almost 2 years now)
I think the importance of repeat trials is to make yourself realize that one shall not avoid trying again, but instead repeat until a great result. This is what I will try to do over and over again.
Thank you for your great support.

CBETA
12-05-2005, 12:30 AM
And now for the today's report: "Maestro Drums, please" bum bum bum

Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 2 (Dec 4) is completed!!!!
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 1 (Dec 3) was successfully completed. I think Day 2 (Dec 4) can be counted as well.
It was tough, I do not remember if I said it in this thread or another one that my plans for today were somewhat unusual.
A friend of mine suggested we go mushroom picking after a few rains we had last week it can be a great opportunity to find some. And so we did.
I got up at 6:30 preped, drove for 45 min to get to my friends house and then 4 of us (me, my ex, a friend and his father) drove to Fort Ross. (and yes I was a doll I went and bought a latte at starbucks for my ex and bought NONE for me. I did take one small sip as it was spilling. I think it is a first time I was able to resist not because I was trying to prove something to others out of being upset)
Oh and the trip - it was beautiful. 3 some hour walk in the forest, looking for mushrooms occasionally climbing the hills. I loved it and found a whole bunch. I will get you some picks once my ex sends them over. We plan to go again but much earlier so we can start looking at like 8am, some of them were already taken by people before us. Before leaving home I ate a good size breakfast, over their we ate just a little bit + 1 bottle of water. When we returned we went to this cute local restaran, first thing I had my 2 glassess of water, then I could barelly fit the food, and so I took a box home. We ate out yet, we finished shortly before 7, and no food for me since then!
Great day, great feeling. I wish I did not have to work tomorrow and could go on a another such walk.
I wish you all a successfull and easy-going week.
CBETA

chaigirl
12-05-2005, 01:47 AM
Day 1 of water challenge completed and Day 1 of 20 min. walking completed. It's almost 2am here, but I finished my walking and drinking before midnight. I didn't think I was going to get the walking done, but we had to go to the great wal (wal mart) and so I set myself a cell phone alarm and marched around the store for twenty minutes. We're supposed to get a foot of snow here tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see how I get my minutes in tomorrow...I might be walking up and down my hallway for twenty minutes, but hey - minutes are minutes!

Keep On Truckin! :carrot:
Erin

Shad
12-05-2005, 03:52 AM
It's kaput. I've done those @@#$%@% crunches in between doing my cardio circuit workout. I think I am going to have to add some more in as 20 doesn't get the abs working like it used to. Maybe another five in the rep and see how that goes.

Stagemom
Well done on getting to the big day - No soda for 21 days. :cp: :cb: :carrot: :dance: :cp: :cb: :carrot: :dance: :cp: :cb: :carrot: :dance: :cp: :cb: :carrot: :dance: :cp: :cb: :carrot: :dance: :cp: :cb: :carrot: :dance: :cp: :cb: :carrot: :dance: :cp: :cb: :carrot: :dance:

YEE HAAA

I didn't get to early gym this morning as I simply couldn't be bothered getting out of bed so I did my thing tonight after work.

It's amazing to see so many new people hopping aboard the wagon. We've lost a few but gained lots more. Welcome to all our enthusiastic new people.

I see that at least one of you has given up smoking - eesabella I think. I'm dead proud of you. I gave up 16 years ago. I never want to go back to it although I must admit there are times when a newly opened pack of ciggies smells good. However...... the dirty ashtray definitely does not!!!! and the smell one peoples clothes and breath fair turns me up these days.

Right, well hello to Carla, Red, apple, Silly, Fish, Chai, curly et al. I've gotta go do somethings around the place and a shower would be good. It's bad when you can't even stand yourself.

derrydaughter
12-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Hi guys!
I've been amazingly busy so haven't had time to post, but I am on day 6 and still going strong!
Linda

redballoon
12-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Hello, all! No time to post now. Just want to say a big congratulations to all who have gotten through another day of success on their challenges! And, stagemom, a big round of applause! :cp: :woo: :encore: :cp: :woo: :cp: Hurrah!!! Hurrah!! Hurrah!! alteon, I have no idea what this :dance: is! :lol3: I think it's cute though. Perhaps it's the Michelin man.... CBETA, you're most welcome. If anything I say is a help then I feel great! :yes: You're doing fantastic! Keep up the good work!!...pat...pat...pat :)

Well, I knocked out my crunches at the gym this morning so Day 7 is done! Also ran 5K! :cp: Hurrah for me. Will try to catch up tomorrow. Then it's off to Hong Kong and perhaps sporadic posting while I fight for a terminal and can't really say too much if others are sitting next to me and see me NOT doing racing stuff! :nono:

Ok, later! :wave:

derrydaughter
12-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Red, if we don't hear from you for awhile, we'll carry on! Have a great trip!
Linda

stagemomx3
12-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Abs Day 15
No Chocolate Day 4
No Soda Day 21 Challenge Completed

Goodmorning. I'm going to keep my no soad counter up for awhile, because my goal is to get to Christmas with no soda, so I have 20 more days to go! *sigh* I hope everyone has a great Monday!

PhysDom
12-05-2005, 09:54 AM
I did it!! I did it!! I did it!!

That's right, everyone... I -started- my pilates/lifting challenge.

DAY 1 FINISHED!! After getting up early and popping in the DVD,. Hurrah.

curlylocks
12-05-2005, 10:14 AM
:cheer: stage mom! wait & see soda will taste yucky to u now!!!

marbleflys
12-05-2005, 10:15 AM
I wrote a lovely post, welcoming the new folks and individually congratulating many and told Carla to put her Gazelle with the rebounder......AND MY COMPUTER spit me off line!

grrrrr, annoying......back later.

FishWoman
12-05-2005, 11:05 AM
First and foremost - CONGRATULATIONS to Curly and StageMom for finishing their 21-day challenges!:carrot: Way to go ladies:D

Wow! We have so many new people posting here! I don't get online over the weekend and came back to 5 pages of posts! Welcome one and all!

Let's see. Today I am working on day 19 of ACE. It *should* be day 20, but somehow yesterday turned into a pizza and red wine binge. :o I ended up eating over 2200 calories. But, I am back on track today. I am scared to get on the scale tomorrow, and I think I may have to move my tracker back up a pound or so, but I am determined to get to 135 before my cruise. I have 34 days in which to do this.

justkeepswimming
12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey ya'll :wave:

I haven't been on this board for awhile. I completed a 21 day no soda challenge back in September.

I got a little too confident in myself and I thought I could continue on my own. :nono: :nono: :nono: Silly me. :^:

It's easy to control sodas in the house when hubby is working out of town, but then he came back home (very dramatic music in the background), and the sodas came back home too.

Such is life and I have to learn to deal with what ever comes and not use (insert whatever event you like) as an excuse to fail at my weight loss goals.

I am back and ready to go!! :flame:

Anyway, I am starting a new no regular soda challenge.

Tina

Apple Blossom
12-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Day 5 SWN, Day 4 WALK, done!
I love walking. I wish I had time to do more.
CBETA, your mushroom hunt sounded like a lot of fun! I didn't know there were mushrooms out at Ft Ross. Were thet morrells? I love those. Yum. I would love to be able to spend more time out on the coast.
Oh, for Christmas I would like MORE TIME!!!;)
Anyway, it sounds like you know what to do to succeed! Keep at IT!
Yea Stagemom!!!:cp: :cp: :cp: :hat: :woo: :cheer: Congrats on 21 days of no soda!!!
Derry, wow! You've almost made it through that first, most difficult week!!! Way to go!!
Red, don't worry about posting, but do try to read up daily, or you'll fall far behind! We're posting here like mad!!!
Hello to everyone else!!!Keep up the great work!!

CBETA
12-05-2005, 03:45 PM
CBETA, your mushroom hunt sounded like a lot of fun! I didn't know there were mushrooms out at Ft Ross. Were thet morrells? I love those. Yum. .....!!
Not sure how they are called. I believe I've mentioned I have a russian background and we used to pick them there. So when we went we looked for the same ones we knew. I only know their names in russian. But I will try to look for picks, names and translation tonight and will report tomorrow what we saw.
C.

eesabella
12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Just a quick note to say that I made it through Day 3 of under 1800 Calories!

Also, the mushroom hunt sounds like so much fun CBETA!! I don't know anyone who has ever done that before!! How do you go about doing that?

Tina - I totally know what you mean about your husband making your diet difficult. It took many tears and fights, but now my boyfriend hides any chocolate he buys! :p

Have fun in Hong Kong Red!!!

Thanks for the Kudos Shad on quitting!! Right back atcha!! 16 years?!?! I can't wait!

K Bye for now!!

Shad
12-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Oh I'm sure you can last for 16 years Eesabella. It's the initial bit that causes the problem, and you are doing it better than me because you are thinking about the weight as well. I didn't do that and consequently to fill the time that used to be taken up with cigs I ate. I think that is the best and the worst of giving up - the sensation of more time. There is a program on the web somewhere which tells you how many cigarettes that you have not smoked and how much money you have saved. One of the ladies on my other thread uses it and she occasionally comes back with the fact that she is 3429 cigs down and has saved $1500 or figures similar to that. If you are interested I can find out what the site is for you.

Cbeta - your mushroom hunt does sound like fun. I knew you were not strictly American but now I know that you are Russian - your English is very, very good. My family used to go mushie picking in New Zealand all those years ago. I loved it. Nice fresh field mushrooms for breakfast. Yum Yum.

Well I am on to day 5 and I forgot to bring some coffee in this morning so my water intake will be up at least for this morning. We are having a hot spell here, yesterday was 36C or 102F and today is promising to be even hotter. My poor plants will be suffering. Since we are on water restrictions due to drought, I will have to take buckets of water to them tonight. Hate lugging buckets and watering cans. Still I can do my washing and pump the wash water out onto the rose garden. That at least will be something that I don't have to lug around.

Keep up the good work all you lovely people. There are some so close to finishing their challenges. Well done. Keep on keeping on.

Red, if you don't get back to post, have a great time in HK. Behave yourself, they may be just as bad as the Japanese police if not worse. Keep smiling.

curlylocks
12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
day # 2 total calories= 1222

CBETA
12-05-2005, 08:49 PM
And so it is 5:32... I am still at work, trying to finish up so I can head on home, make dinner and eat it before 7pm.
I am just on my 2nd bottle of water. I shall finish it before I get home.

Thank you for comments on my English, but again no biggie. I've been in US for over 12 years. I know it will sound terrible but I gained all my weight here. Putting on about 20-30 pounds each year. In my later posts I shall examine how, I think I have some of the answers. For now I will just tell you that my English has gotten a lot better over time, but it could be better, though I went to High School here and got my BS in Computer Science from the Ohio State Univ. just 5 years ago. I do enjoy talking, but never enjoyed writing as much as I do now. Perhaps I feel safe, or the need to say what's been on my chest for such a long time.
As far as mushroom hunting it is a pretty common activity in Russia. I would only recommend doing it with a few friends, and make sure not to get lost in the woods. If you have a bad sense of direction, take a compass but learn how to use it first! There these socities in US, namely 'fungus societies' look for these organizations, contact them and learn from them, where to pick and what mushrooms are ok. The 1st rule of thumb is always "if you are not sure about a mushroom do not pick it, do not touch". The 2nd rule, while out: strickly no drinks, no food, until you washed your hands 3 times in hot water with soap and changed clothing! Make sure to wash off other parts of the body if you touched them while being the forrest. The 3rd rule relates to recommended clothing. Cover all parts of the body in something light but water proof, as mushrooms do not grow on dry land. It is best to wear a hat or something to ver your hair including your ears and behind them!, to avoid any ticks. (optional: it is good to bring a change of clothing or at least socks and shoes, so you do not have to ride in wet ones) I hope anyone who is interested goes and enjoys mushroom hunts!

Phoesarah
12-05-2005, 08:59 PM
:wave: today was monday so i started my challenges.

The no food after 9 pm, well its not 9pm yet but im sure im not going to eat any because im not even hungry or anything, i did really good on my diet today so why ruin it.
I drank 70 ounces of water, and still counting.
I got up at 8am and got my food ready for work. I followed the 6 week body makeover rules pretty well so im on my way.
Im going to make that a challenge too, follow my 6 week body makeover diet for 21 days, so day one is complete of that. I feel good today. I like my body because whenever i start a diet, it kind of motivates me because daily i fluctuate like 5 pounds. so on day one i already lost 5 pounds and im like HOORAH! I think this is a good diet and i hope i stick to it.

SillyFluff
12-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Well I recorded everything I ate today. I go for my first visit tomorrow morning at 9am at Curves. I'm off to bed. Have a HORRIBLE sinus headache. Later ladies. :carrot: :carrot:

Phoesarah
12-05-2005, 10:17 PM
cbeta: My dad used to go mushroom hunting for morel mushrooms. Those are yummy. I Want to go truffle hunting but i dont have a truffle pig!!

carla49
12-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Today's the 5th, so I must have just completed day 4 of both choc and wine challenges.

Since I'm working this week, I'm getting plenty of walking in. It's only a fast 15 min walk each way, and there's no temptation to drive since it would actually take longer and cost $$$ for parking. And there's no direct bus, so that's out too. And since I have to put drops in poor Lily-kitten's eyes every six hours, that means a very rushed trip home at lunch too. (It takes extra time now - she's onto me and hides when she sees the medication bottle. Sigh. Another 10 days of this, by which time she will hate me forever. :cry: )

Stage, :carrot: :carrot: :cb: :cb: :cp: :cp: :hat: :hat: :bravo: :hat: :hat: :cp: :cp: :cb: :cb: :carrot: :carrot: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :encore: :encore: :encore: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: for completing your introductory challenge in record time!

CBETA
12-05-2005, 10:47 PM
7:40 on the clock. I am home. Last 60 minutes were crazy. I rushed home, traffic was terrible. Picked up the mail, did not have time to change, made my salad, warmed up yesterday's dinner leftovers, and ate like crazy. At 2 minutes till 7, I was done. To say the truth, never again. I like the eating process, and gobbling down like I did was less than satisfying. So from now on, if I did not have time till 7pm, that's it, I will not rush... I will just skip dinner that day. Someone may disagree with me, and perhaps for some skipping dinner will keep them up at night, but me, nah I am lazy, I will not get out of bed to cook. Luckily I am good about now opening new items, i.e. I do have some cookies frozen and not, but if the bag is closed I will not open it. But for today I learned my lesson.
And now on to my report. It is actually brisk here in our warm sunny California. And as I had my last bottle of water to drink I've decied to warm it up. Interestingly, it tastes weird when I take a sip, but when it goes down it is just like tea nice and soothing.
Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 3 (Dec 5) can be considered completed - 1/2 bottle left!!!!
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 2 (Dec 4) was successfully completed. I think Day 3 (Dec 5) can be counted as well.

curlylocks
12-05-2005, 11:03 PM
carla: arent cats just soooooooo over dramatic? when i try to put advantage on mine they act as if i am trying to murder them!

chaigirl
12-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Once again I am pushing it down to the wire, but day 2 of walking is completed and in about three more gulps day 2 of water will be completed with 12 minutes to spare. (what can I say, I am a night owl). I feel like on this water kick all I do is pee every ten minutes! I just keep telling myself it's good for me and I'll start to like it eventually.

I didn't get started drinking my water until late in the day today, and I did notice that I felt parched by the time I started - funny how quickly one's body adjusts to the things one puts into it.

It snowed today here in Lexington, but I walked anyway and I even dragged the boyfriend with me. It was nice to see the trees all covered in snow and people's yards all pristine and white. and.....*chugchugchug* WATER DONE :woo: :woo: :woo: OHHHHYEAH! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Keep on Truckin!

stagemomx3
12-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Abs Day 16
No Chocolate Day 5
*No Soda Day 22 * Challenge Completed*

I'm glad that this Monday is over! Tomorrow will be a better day!

Sushi Penguin
12-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Completed Day 11 of crunches.

And went running in pouring rain not to mess up my running challenge. It was quite unpleasant and I got totally drenched, but I did it. :)
I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow, I've been looking forward to my tennis lesson...

Day 18 - ran 2'30" uphill, walked some, ran 8'30", so total time ran is 11 minutes, which I decided was enough given the conditions.

I'm very tired, so good night. :)

redballoon
12-06-2005, 06:48 AM
Hey all. Just wanted to say that Day 8 is done! No time to post. Take care and keep up the good work. I will be posting regularly in time. Still in Tokyo. Leave tomorrow for Hong Kong. Will see how much time I can get on the terminals in the press center there. Don't have my own laptop. :( Later, all! swimming, welcome back! :wave:

Shad
12-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Pause day for me today.

Didn't start out that way but is now. So I've got to go on and on and on until this is finished now or I'll blow the lot.

No time to comment tonight. See you

stagemomx3
12-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Abs Day 17
No Chocolate Day 5
*No Soda Day 22 * Challenge Completed*

Workout completed for the day.

PhysDom
12-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Pilates/Lifting Day 2

I woke up early again today and got pilates in before breakfast. It feels nice. It snowed overnight here in St. Louis, so I was glad to be a little warm when I headed out the door to head to work. I feel good today.

FishWoman
12-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Finished day 19 yesterday! Got on the scale this morning - still stuck at 140. Is another 10 pounds really too much to ask for? I would really be satisfied with 5 more pounds:p

We got about 1, maybe 1 1/2 inches of snow. The dogs are crazy about it! We couldn't keep the puppy in last night. She kept wanting to go out and play in the snow. Every thing was very bright and pristine this morning. This is when I like the snow. In a day or two, it will all be nasty grey slush. Yuck. Then i will be envying Shad and her 102 degree weather.

Have a great day!

eesabella
12-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Hello Everyone!

Made it through Day 4 under 1800 calories. I don't own a scale (I weigh myself when I visit my parent's house)... but my face looks thinner and my bra is looser.. would it be possible to lose at 1800? It seems like most people are eating much less than I am! I already asked about calories on another thread... I think I will need to go lower... but those darn calculators online confuse me! They all say I will maintain at like 2100... so at 1800 I should lose (according to them) however not at 2 pounds per week??

Eh! For now I'm just trying to stay just below 1800 because I am REALLY bad about over eating. I think next challenge I will go down another 100 calories or so.

Joy - I would love to see that calculator for cigs if it's not too much trouble!! Thank you! :flow2: Yeah, I tried working on changing my diet a lot when I quit so I wouldn't gain and so that I would have something else to focus on. I actually got down to 155 (from 163). But went back up to 160. You are so right! I can't get over how much more time I have now that I don't smoke!! I'm used to it now I guess, but at first it was weird. I would sit down to do something and be done with it quickly, whereas when I smoked it would take so much longer with all of the breaks I used to take! I like it!!

CBETA - thanks for the tips on mushroom hunting! I just imed my friend to tell him about it... he really loves food, so I thought he would be interested. He sent me this link: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/ it's a guy in NY who will take you foraging!!

Good Work Everyone :cp: on your challenges!!

Oh Fish - has the snow been melting where you are?! It's practically all gone here :(

Ees

redballoon
12-06-2005, 03:49 PM
ees -- It's VERY possible to lose at 1800. Calorie calculators are, at best, just an approximation. There is NO way someone can know your bodyfat and muscle ratio. The more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn just sitting there. I easily lose if I stay under 1800 but staying under 1800 is NOT easy for me because I exercise alot. Also, you can't really figure how much you exercise off. It's all just an approximation. The same really goes with food and figuring the calories in it. The best way is to just look at yourself and over the long run, being consistent and maintaining an exercise routine (and thus muscle mass), you will see how many (about!) you can lose on. Also, if you've been doing a lot of yo-yo dieting, you'll have damaged your metabolism and made it harder to lose. The final rule...DON'T compare. Just gauge and adjust.

CBETA
12-06-2005, 03:58 PM
ees -- It's VERY possible to lose at 1800. Calorie calculators are, at best, just an approximation. There is NO way someone can know your bodyfat and muscle ratio. The more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn just sitting there. I easily lose if I stay under 1800 but staying under 1800 is NOT easy for me because I exercise alot. Also, you can't really figure how much you exercise off. It's all just an approximation. The same really goes with food and figuring the calories in it. The best way is to just look at yourself and over the long run, being consistent and maintaining an exercise routine (and thus muscle mass), you will see how many (about!) you can lose on. Also, if you've been doing a lot of yo-yo dieting, you'll have damaged your metabolism and made it harder to lose. The final rule...DON'T compare. Just gauge and adjust.

red I know you are getting ready to travel and time is limited, (have a great trip by the way) , but how much is a lot for you. I understand things are relative. If you feel uncofortable please reply via private message.
Thank you,
C.

marbleflys
12-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone:

I'm very impressed with all your hard work! (and envious on the abs. gyms, etc).

No challenges for me yet, but my shoulder is getting stronger and I have a bit more "reach"....although I can't change a ceiling light fixture, nearly murdered the cat by dropping a screwdriver from the sky.

Carla, you must fake Lily out....hide the meds (pocket or bra), pet the cat and swiftly pull out the drops before she knows what's coming.

Speaking of *High Drama*, my one cat hisses like a vampire when I comb the knots out of his armpits, he spreads his front paws like wings and bares his teeth at me.

redballoon
12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
CBETA, sorry, not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how much I exercise?

curlylocks
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
hey fish woman.. i am in southern maryland ... we got ALL the snow! 8"

FishWoman
12-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Ah, the joy of giving medicine to the kitty. Why must they be so indignant about it? First you have to get the cat to even get close enough to you to pick up, then the twisting and squirming and hissing . . . oy vey, it's enough to make you say "go ahead, be sick, see if I care." With the dogs, you just have to wrap pills in cheese!

Dang, Curly, you did get all the snow:snowfight Our snow isn't melted yet, but if it gets into the 40's this week, it will be gone.

I have attached a picture of Sam and Olivia in the snow this morning. We tried to get a picture of the kitty in the snow, but he got mad and ran inside.

redballoon
12-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Day 9 done!!!

Fish -- They're beautiful! It looks like an oil painting!

chaigirl
12-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Have you tried the wrapped in a towel trick for getting the cat's meds? It is a bear, but once you get the hang of it it is the best way that I have found to get meds into an angry feline - just wrap them FIRMLY in a towel from the neck down - you have to wrap fairly tightly because they will try to wriggle those little paws out, but not tightly enough to hurt them, of course - then you sort of do kitty headlock with one arm to hold the towelled cat in place while putting in the eye drops with the other hand. It's easier with two people, but it can be done with one.

I find that I can lose at around 1800 calories a day if I add moderate exercise to my lifestyle, but it is different for every person and what works for me might not work for someone else.

Keep on Truckin!

curlylocks
12-06-2005, 07:13 PM
day # 3 >>> 1392 calories

CBETA
12-06-2005, 07:25 PM
CBETA, sorry, not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how much I exercise?
yes.

justkeepswimming
12-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Today marks the end of my 2nd day of my no soda challenge. :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I don't know what it is about this challenge but it's like I can turn my will power on like a switch. :shrug:

I would have never imagined a challenge to myself would work so well but hey I'm not complaining. ;)

I'll check in again tomorrow.

Tina :) :) :)

Apple Blossom
12-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Sometime we just need a little nudge in the right direction. Personally, I need about 3 or 4 burly men to push me.....
I'm rolling along here, Day 6 of SWN and Day 5 of WALK

chaigirl
12-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Day 3 of walking and water challenge completed, even though studying for law school finals. yeah baby! - Once again I ended up taking a late night trip to wal mart in order to be able to walk where it was warm - and it was actually 8 minutes after midnight when I finished, but I'm still counting that as completing day 3.

Keep on Truckin!

stagemomx3
12-07-2005, 02:04 AM
Abs Day 17
No Chocolate Day 6
*No Soda Day 23 * Challenge Completed*

Back from rehearsal, heading for bed. It sounds like everyone is off to a great start this week.

CBETA
12-07-2005, 02:17 AM
Well it is almost 11.
Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 4 (Dec 6) is completed!
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 3 (Dec 5) was successfully completed. I think Day 4 (Dec 6) can be counted as well.

Well, finally it happened! A 24 hour fitness club opened up relatively near my house. When I lived in the different part of SF Bay Area - in East Bay there were a couple nearby, and went there quite often. Sometimes, I felt the urge and workout out even in the middle of the night or early morning hours.
So this is the time I am going to introduce back the Challenge B: originally I said that I plan on being at the gym 16-17 days out of the 21, but to make it even. I will declare this a 21 day challenge of Level 3, which puts me at 18 days! So ladies here it goes! I am going to the gym tomorrow and making this an official 3rd challenge.

Here is my plan: I plan on having this 3 challenges going pretty much in unison. After I am done I shall intro the intake challenge and specific type of excersize challenge if necessary. I will also see how it goes for the sweets and for soda. I am not a big soda drinker. Truthfully the only time I have it is when I buy food in the cafeteria at work and the meal has it included, lilke today they had turkey and mashed potatoes with a 16oz soda for $6.95. I got the salad, but if I was getting this one w/o soda I would feel like I am wasting money. Sweets I used to be better about it, but as I buy very little of them and keep them at work I rarely have binges. I will review the status of this towards the end of this month. For now I believe I am set.

p.s My friends who visit me quite often just left. Yesterday they planned to come and cook themselves at my house. Today they called saying they will eat at home. Finally they came over w/o eating at home first, and did not eat at my house as well so that I would not get tempted! Though I would not have - I know I can be strong. But this made me very happy, so many people are helping and believing in me, I want to be the best that I can be.

curlylocks
12-07-2005, 06:16 AM
chai: thats a really good idea! :) getting your walking in at walmart!

derrydaughter
12-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Day 8 for me!
Great news! See what staying on Weight Watchers can do? I lost an official 5.2 pounds yesterday at my WW weigh in! I'm really so happy!
It's so nice to have good news to report.
My 21 day challenge is to journal, eat on the ww program and stay in control. So far it's been enourmously successful. I have holidays coming up as do most of us, but I can keep trying!
Linda

stagemomx3
12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
:bravo: Linda that is terrific! :hug:

FishWoman
12-07-2005, 10:23 AM
One more day! Then I have to think of a new challenge. I will have time for one more before the cruise - I have been jotting down ideas and taping them around my computer.

Derry - congratulations on the weight loss! Doesn't it feel great?

Chaigirl - where are you going to law school? UVA? I graduated from American University's law school in May 2004. What sort of law are you interested in practicing?

PhysDom
12-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Pilates/Weight lift - Day 3!

I got up early again even though I was up late and was sleepy. It felt good this morning. I've been starting the exercised early during the video ( I start them during the talking/explaining sections) so I get more reps in of each exercise. It's giving me a nice little burn and I'm happy about this!

eesabella
12-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Day 5 under 1800 down!

I think I may be losing at 1800! My clothing feels looser and my face looks thinner... don't own a scale, so I don't know. I may be visiting my parents on Friday where I will be able to weigh-in, so we'll see!!

marbleflys
12-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Coach Carla:coach: :coach: :coach:
(she must be off administering mediciation to the cat----or getting stiches)

Oh I couldn't STAND not participating....and I have to PT my arm anyway

Day #1
2 mins. of wt. work (using 2 lbs. only on the healing fracture to mostly lengthen the muscle and regain mobility) one set of upper body and one set of step-ups

(this is the infant work-out---but I was thrilled to be able to stretch my arm up over my head this morning in bed and now my neck is less stiff!)

onward and upward....:carrot:

CBETA
12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
marbleflys,
I did read previously about problems with your arm and neck. I am so glad it is feeling better. Though as you said this is an infact workout, all the work is baby steps and it is wonderful that you can do it. Congratulations!:hug:
eesabella,
Great to hear that you feel that you are feeling lighter. I am sure the scales will show you. I believe it was you who mentioned before that you sometime indulge in ice-cream when you visit your parents, so be careful :dizzy: But for now congratulations on feeling better. :smug:
Physdom,
Great start!
I've always admired people who can work out in the morning, for me it is so problematic, I feel that my body is still asleep, though I move quickly through the house when getting ready. Congrats!
Fishwoman!
TERRIFIC JOB! perhaps by the time you read this you will see my post. You will be looking great in no time!
You've mentioned that you have written down a few ideas for new challenges: I am curious to know, if you do not mind telling us what are the choices. Perhaps someone can see a great idea and follow it later on.
Linda,
I am very happy to hear that you've lost over 5pounds! It is great! Congratulations, I wish that every next day and every next step was just as easy and rewarding!
C.

eesabella
12-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Yes CBETA!! My parents eat healthfully... but they do always have ice cream and sugar-ful sorbet in their freezer YUM!! Also, their breads are multi-grain, but usually have high fructose corn syrup in them... which I try to stay away from... and my mom bakes with white flour. I went to Trader Joes yesterday and stocked up on some portable foods - so if I go over there I will bring them with me and won't be as tempted. We'll see how it goes!!

So this 24-hour fitness is literal?! It is actually open 24-hours a day!? That's pretty cool! Be careful going late nights though!! I'm soo glad to hear that your friends are doing what they can to be supportive of your lifestyle change!!

Ees

Shad
12-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Oh boy, I've blown my challenge. Too hot, too much to do, not enough time in the day. These are my excuses and I'm hanging on to them. I will be back up and moving at the end of the week. Meantime for the rest of you keeping hanging in there. You all seem to be doing well.
Marble great to see you back.

Gotta blow. Life gets stupid sometimes.

CBETA
12-07-2005, 05:34 PM
So this 24-hour fitness is literal?! It is actually open 24-hours a day!? That's pretty cool! Be careful going late nights though!! I'm soo glad to hear that your friends are doing what they can to be supportive of your lifestyle change!!

Ees

Yes 24 hours is literal, but not every club is open 24/7! For example the clubs in downtown usually open till 11 or midniht, but in subburbs are 24 hours.
If multiple clubs are in proximity of one another, than the bigger one will be open 24/7. They do open most of the holidays for the entire day!
So instead of eating one can go and work out.
I am so worried about my first day of workout today... feel nervous.

stagemomx3
12-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Abs Day 18
No Chocolate Day 7
*No Soda Day 24 * Challenge Completed* Goal December 25th.

Today was a good day for me. :D

curlylocks
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
day #4= 1323 calories!!

my workout place had "boot camp" tonight the resistance was cranked way up on all the machines ... it was awesome!

Sushi Penguin
12-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Completed Day 12 of crunches and Day 19 of running yesterday. Ran for 13 minutes only, but that was after a tennis lesson and half an hour of intensive badminton.

I better figure out what to do next. :) Haven't had a chance to print those exercises yet... :)

Talk to you all later

chaigirl
12-07-2005, 07:57 PM
FishWoman - I'm at Washington and Lee University and I'm really interested in criminal law, specifically capital defense or public defender. I am only in my first semester, though, so I'm not sure yet.

Not done with my challenges yet for the day - I will post when I either get them done or give up and take a pause day. we shall see!

Keep on Truckin!

chaigirl
12-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Ok I give up for today. This will have to be my first pause day for walking and my only pause day for water. I'm not going to chug three bottles an hour before bed - the resulting potty marathon is just too unpleasant for me to deal with. Back on track tomorrow!

Keep on Truckin!

CBETA
12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 5 (Dec 7) is still in progresss!
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 4 (Dec 6) was successfully completed. I think Day 5 (Dec 7) can be counted as well.
Challenge B: well, I finished dinner just a few minutes ago, so I will be packing up to the gym, and off I go. Will write again when I return.
Work was so busy and so stressful today.
C.

carla49
12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Howdy all. This is Day 6 of both chocolate and wine challenges. So far no sweat.

Sorry about the infrequent posts: this has been a busy week, and by the time I get home from work all I want to do is veg in front of the box. (I don't have an opportunity to use the Internet at work.) It seems it's all I can do to just read all the posts. Fortunately our new members are extremely prolific, taking up the slack for tired Carla, travelling Red, suddenly-off-program Shad... We'll all do better soon.

Marble, it's good to see you back to some exercises, and congrats on developing cravings for healthy foods. I guess this means your a** really isn't as big as Ottawa? Sorry to be slipping up on :coach: duties. Next week will be better.

The weather here has turned cold. It was very pretty and sunny today, but with the wind chill was down round 18 below Celcius. Time for boots, winter coats, warm mitts and headbands... Thanks to work I did get about half an hour walking outside. (It would have been twice that, but our lunch break was cut short and I had to cab it home to put drops in Liliput's eyes and then hightail it right back.) Another 7 days of the old eyedrop routine. This had better work! That darn cat has been on one kind of meds or another practically since I got her. Too bad I decided the pet health insurance was a waste of money. :tantrum: At this rate I'll be working until I'm 80 just to pay for her little antibiotics and drops and whatever else they come up with. A friend gave me a little stuffed toy this week: a siamese kitten that is almost exactly the same size as Lily, with the same chopped off tail and tortie points. They look so cute together, almost like twins! (Except the toy doesn't mind being picked up. :lol3: )

Sushi, you're on the verge of a completed abs challenge - good going! And Stage will soon be wrapping up challenge number two. Wow!

Big Zen is getting pretty vocal about his bedtime snack. I swear that cat has an alarm clock in his belly! Any minute he'll start shredding furniture and knocking things down, so this is it for now.

Greetings to Fish (almost done with ACE, I believe?), Ees, Derry, Chai, Phys, CBETA. Keep up the great work!

justkeepswimming
12-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Hello all :wave: :wave: :wave: !!

Today is day 3 of no soda challenge. :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I'm acutally doing better than I expected, I made my challenge a no regular soda challenge just in case I had to have a diet soda. But I haven't even had a diet soda!

Today I had bought a french vanilla cappacino (sp?) and I took a few sips and poured it out and got regular coffee because it was too sweet. Funny how I never noticed that before. :coffee:

I also started an exercise challenge on the exercise thread, I am feeling so good mentally and physically right now.

Well I will check in tomorrow, good luck to everyone!!! :cp:

CBETA
12-08-2005, 02:39 AM
Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 5 (Dec 7) is still in progresss!
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 4 (Dec 6) was successfully completed. I think Day 5 (Dec 7) can be counted as well.
Challenge B: well, I finished dinner just a few minutes ago, so I will be packing up to the gym, and off I go. Will write again when I return.
Work was so busy and so stressful today.
C.
All 3 challenges completed successfully for today.
It felt good to be at a new club, and when I was doing elliptical and even when I walked out I could right away feel that my posture became more upright... tired, and off to bed I go.

p.s. quick question: I will try avoiding using my pause days as I want to be serious and pause as little as possible, but (!) if I am on Level 2 challenge can have a pause day during 2nd and 3rd weeks only? or could I potentially use pause days whenever I like, even two days in a row? Just wanted to be clear on the rules. So far I think I am doing good. This morning right after shower scales showed 266, curious to see effects of exersizing tomorrow morning.

Good luck to everyone!
C.

PhysDom
12-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Pilates / Weights = Day 4 completed!

I woke up early again after the 2nd late night in a row and got my pilates in. It was even harder today and I don't feel energized like I was before. I think that I'll have to give my boyfriend an ultimatum -- he can stay at my house ONLY if he lets me get to sleep on time! I mean, I like staying up late as much as the next girl, but not if I have to be working at 7 am... yikes.

Congrats to everyone on their progress! I haven't quite gotten the hang of a big list of individual replies yet, maybe once I read more posts for a few days and feel like I'm meeting people better?

I'm really glad that I started doing this 21-day challange, and I'm thinking that maybe every 8th day I'll try and start a new one so that I'm doing up to 3 at once, but I'll build up to it gradually. For those that do more than one: Do you feel that having a few helps keep you motivated? Does it make you feel more stressed/worn out? Does anyone wish that they had more or less?

eesabella
12-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Made my 1800 yesterday - I think that's day 5?

Congratulations on your first day at the gym CBETA and your 4 pound loss!! :balloons:

Shad - sorry to hear you didn't make your challenge!! Better luck next time! Are you literally moving at the end of the week? Where to?

What's wrong with your kitty Carla??

Ees

FishWoman
12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Another challenge under the belt! I am going to take today off of any challenges while I think of something good to get me through the end of the year.

CBETA - most of the ideas I have are "borrowed" from the ladies here. Ideas for challenges include: calorie (under a certain number); exercise (over a certain number of minutes, or a certain type); alcohol (none); caffiene (none); fruits & vegetables (a certain number of servings); chocolate (none); push-ups & sit-ups (over a certain number); soda (none). I know that Red and some of the others have done no white/refined flour challenges. There have been some other ideas that seemed way too complicated for me, but I can't even remember what they are now.

Chaigirl - so you think you want to be a defense attorney? That's cool. It definitely takes a strong mentality to do that. I knew from day one I wanted nothing to do with the courtroom. I currently practice securities compliance. Lots of paperwork, but you don't have to deal with people or court!

Carla - minus 18 celcius? Brrrr!!! What is that in farenheit? I know it is below freezing, and that is too cold for me. The clock outside my office building said 28 degrees (farenheit) at 9 a.m. today. I am miserable in the cold. Fortunately, it doesn't really get much colder than this. I think the coldest it has been since I moved here in 1991 was maybe 15-20 degrees. I still hate it though! I am cold if it gets below 65!

marbleflys
12-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi Everyone!

It's cold here (15F this AM)and we expect BIG snow tonight, even cancelled some student exams for tomorrow... I hate cold weather!!!:devil:

Day #2 of my Challenge! :carrot: :carrot:

I was able to do 4 mins. of upper/lower body (added some Tae-Bo kicks but secure myself by holding the bathroom doorjam) and the big deal is that my arm could actually STRETCH to take my vitamins off the middle kitchen shelf.

Congrats Fish! and congrats to everyone else for your STAMINA!!! (very impressive):bravo: :strong:

No big-a** Coach-Carla, the Tanita that is so accurate it pisses me off, shows me down 2 lbs. but I refuse to change my tracker as I feel "Le-FLABBY"

Also, ask your vet what people meds can be substituted for kitty meds (but NEVER ASA (aspirin). This is often much cheaper and your kind family doctor might give you free samples

CBETA
12-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm really glad that I started doing this 21-day challange, and I'm thinking that maybe every 8th day I'll try and start a new one so that I'm doing up to 3 at once, but I'll build up to it gradually. For those that do more than one: Do you feel that having a few helps keep you motivated? Does it make you feel more stressed/worn out? Does anyone wish that they had more or less?

PhysDom,
Perhaps I do not feel extra motivation just yet, but by doing multiple I am making sure I do not destroy all the word done by a challeng through another acitivity. It is kind of harder to be successfull, because once you mess up one challenge you might say "oh this day is a pause for everyhting", but so far my mentality has been "no pause days" if I can avoid them.
I have 3 right now: water, no eve food, and excersise, it would be helpful if I started journaling and calorie counting as well, but for now I just try to make better choices. Outside of the challenge I found a support thread that suggested journalling of food choices for the day and I did it for yesterday and today, but so far no challenge. Overall I do not feel stressed or worn out, I am reminding myself, who is the boss! I am in control.... and to make sure to be inspired, I try to read success stories. (hmm, I even took a break from other forums, so that I can fully concentrate on my goal)
Good luck. I perhaps would not recommend starting a new every 8th day, but just start a few when it feels right.

PhysDom
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
CBETA - Thanks for the reply. One of the reasons that I'm wary to start a new challenge is that I already -do- a lot of the things that are easier for me (I journal every day, drink 4 liters water/day, I don't really like or crave sweets or alcohol) so I'm scared that my challenges would be... well, challenging! !

I think that I'll at least wait until I make it through the weekend. I'll be travelling, so I'll have to do pilates on my own -- with no video.

Apple Blossom
12-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Day 8 SWN Day 7 WALK
Don't know if it's possible to walk today. I'm booked! Busy day.
Cheers to Fishwoman!!!:carrot: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: Way to go!!!

CBETA
12-08-2005, 04:14 PM
.... I'm scared that my challenges would be... well, challenging! !

In this case then perhaps you need to a. evaluate how much you want thouse changes. b. how much value will they bring to you. If the answer is yes overall, then do go ahead and add a challenge, but perhaps do when it needed rather than every 8 days. As you said this will be very challenging to you, so do not hesitate to make it a Level 3 (as I see it), and allow for potential 3 pause days.

= disclaimer: this is just my personal view.
CBETA

curlylocks
12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
day #5 _ 1383 calories

Sushi Penguin
12-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Completed Day 13 of crunches and Day 20 of running.
17 crunches! And I for 15 min 20 seconds without break, hurray! :)))

Oh oh hoh - just noticed - today is Day 21... dang it, I don't want this challenge to be over yet!!! :lol:

justkeepswimming
12-08-2005, 08:09 PM
End of day 4 no soda challenge :cp: :cb: :cp: :cb::cp: :cb:!!!

It's been freeeeezzzzing cold here this morning was 12 degrees, our cold water pipes were frozen, and we live in a house!

Good luck to all!!

Tina :dizzy:

carla49
12-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Today is Day 7 of both challenges, so far no pause days taken.

Curly, love the new straight hairdo! :lol:

Ees, my kitten is happy and healthy, BUT she has runny eyes, it looks awful, and could cause problems later in one of her nine lives. So the latest "cure" is a course of antiviral drops. Six more days of it.

Yay Sushi! On Day 21 at last! Don't be too sorry it's almost over - you can always start a new running goal tomorrow.

And Fish has swum all the way through yet another challenge. ACE'd it, in fact! :woo: :woo: :woo: :hat: :hat: :hat: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :balloons: :balloons:

Marble, thanks for your advice about meds for Lily. Of course, with the doctor shortage here, by the time I got in to see my GP for free samples, she'd probably already be in the big cat house in the sky. (Very few new docs are opting for Family practice - not enough money in it with the government fee schedule.)

Tomorrow is weigh-in at the diet doc. My chance to find out how quickly overdosing on almonds shows on the scale...

CBETA
12-08-2005, 10:49 PM
CONGRATS to Sushi and Fish.... !!!!

p.s. when I wrote it first I thought sushi, then of sashimi, and then wrote fish. If I am not misstaken sashimi means fish...right? sorry please do not take it as a mean poak..... I really love fish, sea producs, sashimi and sushi.... and I like all of you guys in one week i feel better...thank you for being here.

CBETA
12-09-2005, 12:27 AM
I am off to a workout.
Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 6 (Dec 8) is still in progresss! (if I count a glass of water with ice at the sushi restoran this afternoon then I am done already)
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 5 (Dec 7) was successfully completed. I think Day 6 (Dec 8) can be counted as well. (Note today I finished dinner at 7:25 as I was interrupted by someone from work, but I will still count it in as a good one...)
Challenge B: On my way right now.
Work was even busier than yesterday. Stress is starting to bild up and tempers have started to run high.... .

chaigirl
12-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Barfle Barfle Barfle! day two off of the wagon for me - back to square one tomorrow on both water and walking. We're in the midst of a nasty ice storm here and I'm off to sleepyland.

Keep on Truckin!

stagemomx3
12-09-2005, 02:11 AM
It's very late, rehearsal was grueling, I'm seriously pms 'ing!:eek:

Abs Day 19
No Chocolate Day 7 Pause - see above note about pms
*No Soda Day 25 * Challenge Completed* Goal December 25th.

redballoon
12-09-2005, 03:46 AM
Hello all! I'm in Hong Kong now and yesterday totally forgot about doing my crunches. This may be the biggest problem, just remembering! That means I've used up my pause day, the only one I allotted myself on this Level 1 challenge. Let's hope I can remember and do them the rest of the 2 weeks. Not done yet today. This would be Day 10. Wish me luck!!

derrydaughter
12-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Well, I blew it yesterday. I'm not sure what a pause day is, but I choose to return to day one, I guess. I made it up to day 11, though.
Linda

redballoon
12-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Linda, a pause day is a break day. You decided on your Level, right? So, Level 1 gets one pause day, Level 2 two days etc. There's no reason to go back to Day 1. The idea is to get through the challenge, after all. Of course, it's just a game, but why not? A pause day just means that you pick up counting again the next day. Day 11 --- blow it...so Pause Day -- Day 11 again. We call it "groundhogging it!" The reason some people may not take a puase day is if they think they''ll blow it again before the 21 days are up and so they choose to start over. If you only have 10 days left...carry on!! :yes:

CBETA -- I just saw your question about the pause days. Yes, you can take them whenever you want, split them, all together, whatever. Ok? And btw, "sashimi" doesn't mean fish, it is just the word for thinly sliced raw fish or shellfish. "Sakana" is the word for fish? Like that little Japanese lesson?

PhysDom
12-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Pilates / Weights = Day 5 -- not yet!

I woke up early but had to do laundry and pack b/c I'm leaving work at noon and then am travelling. Lucky for me, I have the pilates video memorized, so I can do it when I arrive at my destination. (I don't remember what level I placed this, but I'll check before I go home... maybe use a pause day? Though I guess I'd rather not.)

eesabella
12-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Made it (just barely) through Day 7 under 1800!!

I've been sooo hungry lately. I think it's because I'm in the luteal phase of my menstral cycle, ugh! Miraculously I have been staying away from the sweets! Yay!!

Hope everyone else is doing well!!

Ees

marbleflys
12-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Day #3 for Me!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:
(indulge me with the dancing carrots)

I did 6 mins. of wts./cardio and was rewarded by being able to use my bad arm to actually wash my hair in a stand-up position in the shower. My range of motion is definitely increasing, it feels wonderful! and I haven't had to take narc. pain meds all week!!!!

Carla, perhaps you can get your vet. to treat you and Lilly together for a package price? In the US, regular medical school is a 4 year program, and veterinary school is a 5 year program...Who knows more?

Just joking, much time at vet. school is spent on farm animal/large animal and chicken farm management, disease control, etc. One vet did a subspecialty in snake care.....

(I'm just full of trivia)

alteaon
12-09-2005, 12:18 PM
It's been awhile, but I"m still keepin' on...today is day 11 of no soda and day 7 of no chocolate. The other day I had to close at work. In my office, there is an obscene amount of chocolate and other not so healthy snacks: cheetos, chocolate bar, chocolate covered stuff, marshmallow stuff, ho hos...but, even when I was alone, I kept away from it all. I hid it in the cupboard so it was out of sight. I felt like hercules. Since then, I had to work two hours later than planned because someone got sick. I didn't have enough food with me, so I admit to having two cheetos. I didn't like the taste, and had some regular crackers..even with that, it wasn't tons, I think it was about five.

I had to think how long it's been since i"ve had soda. It's not so much of an issue with me anymore. I got a new water bottle which is much easier to clean than my old one. As far as carbs go, I do not consider it an official challenge, but I am just trying to be more mindful of what I eat. I have started to eat oatmeal for breakfast. It holds me over much better than my usual breakfast of an egg, bacon and toast. There may be soup involved because I'm so cold and it's damp outside, but again, since I am knowing what I am eating, even if I eat more than I should, I am aware of it and can deal with it.

I am going to dinner and a movie w/ my MIL..I was going to go to the Chinese place, but that's just asking for trouble. I"d rather go someplace with some better options, and where I won't be tempted to eat the whole thing and then some.... at the movie, I'm just going to bring in my water. If I can't, I'll buy a bottle there...

This whole idea of challenges has really helped me. I think it's the best thing I've come across so far. At work, there is a woman who never fails to let me know what size she wears and what she weighs. She does it to be mean to me, she makes snide comments when i'm there and if I'm not. She can be nice, but I think she's jealous of me because I am better at my job and more liked by patients than she is ( I've been there 5.5 yrs longer), so she takes it out on me in one of my weakest points...now I don't let it bother me. I figure slow and steady wins the race. I lost lots of weight before, but because I didnt' keep up wiht it, it's coming back...but now it's slowly receding. I'm much happier about this, and about myself;. This whole challenge thing does a lot of one's self esteem.

My husband is across the country for the next week (leaves Sunday), but I am not gong to use that as a free for all like I did before. Last time he left I dropped him off at the airport, and stopped and got a whole package of oreos with the intent to eat the whole thing.

Well, I've taken up enough room. I applaud everyone on thier efforts. This is infectious.

alteaon
12-09-2005, 12:20 PM
>>>>>>>just wanted to say I noticed that many of us have the same goal in mind: 135-150 or so....that's neat.

Apple Blossom
12-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Yesterday was a pause day, so still Day 8 SWN and Day 7 WALK.
Luteal phase? I like the sound of that. Kind of mystical. I'll have to use that one...
Derry, take a pause day and keep going. You're half way!!!

CBETA
12-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Linda, a pause day is a break day. You decided on your Level, right? So, Level 1 gets one pause day, Level 2 two days etc. There's no reason to go back to Day 1. The idea is to get through the challenge, after all. Of course, it's just a game, but why not? A pause day just means that you pick up counting again the next day. Day 11 --- blow it...so Pause Day -- Day 11 again. We call it "groundhogging it!" The reason some people may not take a puase day is if they think they''ll blow it again before the 21 days are up and so they choose to start over. If you only have 10 days left...carry on!! :yes:

CBETA -- I just saw your question about the pause days. Yes, you can take them whenever you want, split them, all together, whatever. Ok? And btw, "sashimi" doesn't mean fish, it is just the word for thinly sliced raw fish or shellfish. "Sakana" is the word for fish? Like that little Japanese lesson?

Thank you for the lessons :-)
seriously whenever you find time I'd love to learn a few more Japaneese words.
Have fun on your trip, do not forget the crunches.

CBETA
12-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Hmm interesting yesterday was a touch day for everyone. Lots of people took pause days and/or were too busy.
I was not an exception:
Water challenge was no problem for me. Half way through dinner after multiple very serious "fires" at work I was yet again interrupted and therefore finished eating slightly later than 7pm, but still counted it in, as I did not eat after dinner.
Finally the exersercise. I did go, but it was so hard, I could barelly move, and was literally falling asleep so after 17minutes I got out and went home. I was yet glad that I did something rather than nothing!
Today is Friday, my weigh in day, and I weighed in this morning after the shower....loss = 5pounds total since last week!
I need to fix my ticker later on.

===
yet, today is even worst we have a major issue at work, and it is not my fault but it needs resolution. I am worried, and after breakfast, I ate one oatmeal rasin cookie and a bagel, I feel guilty but stress got to me, thanks god I am not doing a food challenge.

Take care, good luck and have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Sushi Penguin
12-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Completed Day 14 of crunches and Day 21 of my Running Challenge yesterday! :cb: :cb: :cb: :cheer:

And I still don't know what to do next... new running challenge, a completely different running challenge, something new and running... Next week is going to be very busy, and I might have little time to do any challenge, and will certainly have trouble having enough time for running... I'm so confused!

redballoon
12-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi, all! It's Day 11 here but I forgot to do the crunches this morning and may not be back till late tonight. Hope I won't forget them again. Yesterday I knocked them out and with them Day 10. Hurrah! :cp: Hang in there everyone. Pause days are over and it's time to kick on! :dancer:

curlylocks
12-09-2005, 08:34 PM
day #5 1295 calories

carla49
12-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Today was a pause day. Was busy, busy, busy - lunch date with my accountant (bad omelette and worse salad) and dinner with a friend in from out of town (overpriced, boring salmon in a rather bitter citrus sauce.) But I had a glass of wine with dinner, and then decided since I'd blown it anyway... Wrong-minded thinking, I know. And the ensuing chocolate binge wasn't even good, and I'm still sipping at the after-dinner wine. This transgression was nowhere near as good as the chocolate cake from a couple of weeks ago!

Marble, your vet idea isn't such a bad one! I haven't resorted to a vet yet, but I've been known to call a nurse friend who lives in San Fran when I need medical advice. In emergencies she's always the one to tell me whether I should trundle off to the hospital or not. As for cat meds, I'm not sure the daily Lily torture is working, but when she's not hiding, she seems to be becoming more affectionate at last.

It's great you're doing so well! At this rate you'll be back on the rebounder and doing pushups and I don't know what all before too long. I almost feel inspired to get on the Gazelle. Almost, but not quite...

Red, I hope you're enjoying HK. It's terrific you're able to get on-line to cheer us on. Your regular deputy Shad is on a bit of a hiatus right now, so without you we could find ourselves at loose ends. But there you are, faithfully checking in!

Well, I'm too pooped for inspiring banter tonight, so I'll say good night. :xcheer:

:snow4: :snow4: :ginger: :snow4: :snow4: :shocksn: :coolsnow: :shocksn: :coolsnow: :snowglo:

redballoon
12-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Hello, all. Here I am again, checking in at the press center. Thanks carla, I'm glad someone likes to see me. Again, I keep forgetting to do the crunches. But will knock 'em out in my room next time I get up there before heading out for dinner and I assume a few more beers. One night on the town is enough for me and I certainly had that on Thursday night! Damn, even I, me, moi! thought it was a lot. I'm glad I made my challenge something that I could still continue while away from Tokyo. I really miss getting in the exercise but somehow really can't stand the thought of working out in the hotel gym, as I often do when I'm here. I'm thinking five days off will be good for me mentally. Doing the crunches keeps me reminded of the work I have to do when I return. carla, I understand how the binges just don't stack up anymore. It's not even that fun anymore for me to eat sugar and stuff like that. I feel so much better when I'm eating vegetables and fruit and healthy things...I think my body AND my mind have both changed. Well, here's hoping the security will not be too tight here. I am literal right next door to the WTO convention site and the protests may get out of hand. They are even a bit worried about the races tomorrow. Already the metal detectors are being passed over us at the hotel....and really ticking me off as they are too sensitive and go off at every little zipper and piece of metal hanging off my coat. Well, must go....good luck all! Hang in there. I want to hear GOOD things from all of you! :yes:

:sunny:

CBETA
12-10-2005, 03:15 AM
And so it goes.
As I mentioned earlier yesterday was a bad day for many.
At work it was bad as well. But today was not any better. Seriously I experienced so much stress....sorry to nag about it, but I am so frustrated.
I did eat the things I normally avoid: bagels, and not one - two. But I still managed to stay under 2000, with 1986 calories, hmm 200 more than yesterday. Funny, food was not one of my challenges, but once I started writing it down, just to find out how much I really intake I automatically constantly think of not overaeating. sometimes I remind myself, yes you can have a potato, you are not trying to limit intake right now, just look at your choices. Yet somehow I am limiting myself all day long and being hard on myself, like today for eating too much.(especially bagels and creamcheese that otherwise killed the efforts of entire day)
I blame it on work, as I was under stress, I think I could have stopped at 1 bagel, and it woudl have been ok...i feel guilty....though no challenge for food....I am rambling sorry...

Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 7 (Dec 9) finished
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 6 (Dec 8) done. I think Day 7 (Dec 9) can be counted as well.
Challenge B: I took a pause day... I just could not move myself, after stresses... I spent time on the phone with a few friends, to unwind, and then read for a while.... tomorrow I have gym and going out dancing....I know I will get all the needed exersize.... I used to ballroomdance ammatures....boy it was so much fun, I still can but noone near like I was before. I also did choreography for some 9 years....so dancing is in my blood... but somehow I am so tired that I am not too excited about tomorrow's eve...we will see, I know I am going...just need to switch my mindset.
Pleasae forgive for rambling, I just needed to vent....and I am sorry...

stagemomx3
12-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Abs Day- So close to a finish, but I'm going to have to restart. Yesterday was tough day for me, and I did not get my ab work in.
No Chocolate Day 8
*No Soda Day 26 * Challenge Completed* Goal December 25th.

justkeepswimming
12-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Today is day 6 of no soda challenge!!!!

I'm hanging in there!

Tina

CBETA
12-10-2005, 02:34 PM
It is interesting how our body reacts. For years I've been convinced that some loose weight due to stress - others gain it... I am starting to think it is not entirely true. Some under stress continue to eat like they normally do or even experience a loss of appetite. Others overeat due to stress, and often end up binging until they are full and could not intake more, or until in the process of eating forget what made them so stressed out in the first place (my behaviour). After stressing over work for a few days, yet watching what I ate (day 1 1574 and day 2 just under 2000 calories) compared to some 3k-4k in my previous cases of stress (stess equated to "I can go out and have lost of junk food" in my mind) I lost another 3 pounds!.... I am not changing the ticker yet, but it is my job to not gain them back....
What do you guys think and feel? Do you loose or gain weight when you are under stress? could I be correct in my reasoning that overeating could have covered my lossess for stress and turned into gains of pounds?
Off to do laundry, to the gym, and in the evening clubbing - dancing.
C.

CBETA
12-10-2005, 02:49 PM
It is interesting how our body reacts. For years I've been convinced that some lose weight due to stress - others gain it... .

weird, my previous post has highlited word misspellled, but when I check to edit, it shows up correctly? Mystery.... I've fixed in saved in both simple and advanced mode 3 times, no change! see the picture below...

Sushi Penguin
12-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Forgot to do the crunches yesterday... so I did today's worth as soon as I got out of bed. Day 15 done!

curlylocks
12-10-2005, 06:56 PM
day 6= 1346 calories

carla49
12-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Day 8 (groundhog day) very good so far. Even cooked a nice healthy balanced meal for dinner!

Stage, don't you have a pause day you could use instead of starting over? Or have you already been there?

CBETA, you're right about stress. I have thin friends who barely eat when they're under stress, whereas I eat and eat and eat. And I don't mean salads. There is a theory that stress makes us produce cortisol, which causes weight gain, but I assume it's because the cortisol increases appetite? Good for you for not giving in to that urge to eat your way out of the stress.

Shad, if you're lurking out there, I hope all is well. :wave: Any sign of a new contract that doesn't involve an unwelcome move? (I also work as a freelance contractor, which involves travel, but since the contracts are almost never longer than a week it's not a big deal.)

Red, it was good to hear from you - terrific that you can drop in. Are you at the races all day long, or do you get a chance to shop and play? Has HK changed a lot since the handover, or is it still bustling and capitalistic? Be careful with the WTO loonies. Does your little hip flask full of beer set off the metal detector? :lol3:

Ta-ta 'til tomorrow.

carla49
12-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Sushi, CONGRATULATIONS on completing your running challenge.
:woo: :woo: :hat::hat::hat: :bravo::hat::hat::hat: :woo::woo:

:shocksn: :coolsnow: :ginger: :coolsnow: :shocksn:

Altaeon, you're doing well fighting off the chocolate demons. I gave in yesterday, and it was so not worth it. I'll try to remember how disappointing it was - for another 12 days. And don't let your colleague get you down. She may well be jealous of something about you, and desperate to even the playing field by bringing you down. Just smile enigmatically and let her wonder why you're looking so pleased with yourself... ;)

Apple Blossom
12-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Day 9 SWN, Day 8 WALK
I really had to piece together a walk, 10 min here, 10 min there and finally the last 10. I hope I don't have to do it that way again. I walk about 20 min a day to pick up my son from school, but I don't count that towards the walk at all, since it's already part of my regular routine.
TOM and a cold these last few days. Doesn't help the scale move, thats for sure.
CBETA, congrats on the loss!:cp:
Hello to everyone! Hope the week-end is going well!:)

stagemomx3
12-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Alas I had already used my pause day for abs. I plan to restart my ab challenge Sunday or Monday.

No Chocolate Day 9
*No Soda Day 27 * Challenge Completed* Goal December 25th.

Shad
12-10-2005, 10:33 PM
I was lurking but now I am back. I am going for a simple challenge this time as there are family problems on the horizon well actually they arrived Friday night and I need some space and time to sort them. I'm not sure why all the family problems land on my doorstep but I guess it is nice to be needed.

My challenge this time is a stealth one. I've already been on it for about 7 days. It's no bread. I realised after the last loaf that I was feeling very - aaaah shall we say gassy, after eating it. It may be the yeast. Anyway, I feel pretty good without it even tho' it is limiting my lunches somewhat. Tortillas don't seem to cause the same problem so lunches are becoming tortilla wraps or rice paper wraps.

So I'm today on day 7.

Carla, thanks for you thoughts. I haven't been on this thread that long, but it seems a bit like home now.

Better go beat up the brother's head. Might knock some sense into him.

CBETA
12-11-2005, 05:54 AM
Thank you for everyone's kind words.
I am pretty happy to see it[weight loss], yet it is too early to feel it.
Nevertheless, I am even more happy about not eating my way through stress, as someone said here... yes the addional 3 pounds is a nice reward.
it is 2:46 am out here, and I just got back after dancing for 4 hours...tired, as anything. But I did well, only one drink - apple martini...and 2 glasses of water to catch it up. Alcohol is dehydrating and therefore it is better if you drink prently of fluids, not only absorbtion rate will be slower, thus you will not get drunk, but for the same reason less calories will go in unbroken...
(fyi, as I mentioned I am russian, and many associate russians with drinking. Partly the tradition existed because of need for various celebrations over long cold winter. Anyway 2nd way of not getting drunk ever - never drink on an empty stomach, a. it is damaging for digestive system and most importantly for kidneys b. you will get drunk faster (absorbtion rate is high) Best foods to intake? - fatty ones, i.e. hearty meats and potatoes work good, or spaggetti and sasauge.... )
Anyway.
Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 8 (Dec 10) finished
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 8 (Dec 10) done. (exception: I had an apple martini, so may be I shall consider this a pause day...? not sure)
Challenge B: I did not go to the gym, so technically it is a pause day. Yet, since I went dancing and actually was sweating twice... I think I can be fair and count it in.

curlylocks
12-11-2005, 08:16 AM
carla u got ur zelle out ?

carla49
12-11-2005, 08:45 AM
No, Curly. Zelle is becoming almost invisible from neglect. :o :o :o :( Thanks for the reminder.

Phoesarah
12-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Just my luck. Day one went well, and then on day too, i had back spasms, They were so bad i couldnt even move it sucked. I did well that day too during the day, but then at night i had the back spasms so i didnt go home i went to my mommys house so she can take care of me and i stayed there all week. I did NOT stick to my diet because it is hard there because i couldnt cook my own food, i couldnt wake up to make it either, my parents only have junk food and all my food was at my house. I tried to eat the small portions that i was eating on my diet though. And my doctor gave me pills for my back and they made me nauseaus so it was hard to eat as regularly as i do on the other diet. But i weighed today back on my own scale and i weigh 225 so at least I lost 10 pounds!!! YAY!
:carrot:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-chicks/cartoonerm01/lb/235/120/225/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Apple Blossom
12-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Day 10 SWN, Day 9 WALK
Too bad I'm eating so much. If I could just knock it off I might drop a pound or two...:mad:

carla49
12-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Apple, I can't remember what your SWN challenge is about - Spaghetti, White bread and Nougat? (Okay, so that wasn't brilliant, but it's hard to be clever sometimes.) Actually, I assume it's non-food, since you haven't gone back to Day 1 in spite of your gluttony. :lol: In any case, consider yourself thorougly chastised :nono: :nono: If Red, our :drill: were on line she'd give you a pep talk to help you back on track. You'll have to make do with :coach: Carla for now. Try to remember how good losing weight feels - much better than all the no-doubt yummy stuff you're shovelling in. On the plus side, as long as you're maintaining instead of gaining, there's no harm done. And since you've been dealing with TOM and a cold, maybe you just needed to be kind to yourself - for a FEW days.

curlylocks
12-11-2005, 02:50 PM
lol carla just wanted to c if u were doing any better than me with the zelle.. :)

marbleflys
12-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi Everyone

I completed Day #4 with an *astonishing* 10 mins of wts/Cardio

Today was Day #5:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:
of wts./cardio and I got to 12 mins.
(my HR is barely up there and I'm not cracking a sweat yet, but maybe next week)

Carla:
Go for a ride on the Gazelle.....
I WISH I could get on my rebounder or Pilates trap set-up, but they are residing in the guest (storage) room for the holidays.....I'm in the process of moving out old living room furniture and waiting for new to arrive and want to shampoo the carpets....

I will haul rebounder out on Xmas day (as I do the Xmas Eve dinner bash---this year I'm doing simple horsdoeurves and caterer for entree)

So I'm working out in the master bedroom with dumbbells, 12 inch step and ankle wts.:strong: :wl: it's better than nothing

chaigirl
12-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Alas I am currently off the wagon - my eating is still reasonable and I am still losing weight (well..I gained a pound this morning, but I know the hazards of daily weigh ins and up/down daily fluctuations...the trend is still downward, though). I will restart at day 1 tomorrow if I'm still feeling ambitious in the morning.

Keep on Truckin!

stagemomx3
12-11-2005, 08:28 PM
No Chocolate Day 10
*No Soda Day 28 * Challenge Completed* Goal December 25th.

Whoo hoo I made it to double digits on no chocolate!

CBETA
12-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Challenge A: Level 2 - DAY 9 (Dec 11) finished
Challenge C: Level 3 - Day 9 (Dec 11) done.
Challenge B: I am leaving to the gym in about half an hour.
still sore after yesterday's dancing, but bitter as I went with a friend and she is very thin, now she is on a date with one of the guys we met, I am sure of the reason why I am going to the gym instead of out.... may be next year.

redballoon
12-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Hey guys, I'm back in Tokyo. Will read the posts and try to get back to you all soon. Hope all is well. :wave:

Shad
12-12-2005, 05:52 AM
Day 8 done and dusted.

Promise I will be back with a proper update tomorrow.

curlylocks
12-12-2005, 06:41 AM
yesterday was day 7 for me...... total of 1346 calories

PhysDom
12-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Well, it looks like I'll have to start back at square one.
I did -tons- of travelling this weekend to help my boyfriend move from his apartment (3.5 hours west of me) back to his parents house (3.5 hours east of me!) and I didn't find the time or the _space_ or the inclination to do my pilates. I don't feel too bad about it, though, b/c I carried a lot of boxes and furniture!!
If we get the DVD player hooked up, then we I can get today in as day #1, or I'll wait for the morning. Ah, well....

marbleflys
12-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Day 6!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I broke a sweat (or had the heat up too high)! 13 mins. of wts./ cardio

there is much improvement in my arm strength/range of motion, but I am staying safe by not overworking the injured part.

back later

Apple Blossom
12-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Great job Marble! I really admire the way you are approaching this! Slow and steady, careful not to over-do! I am sure you will have great results!

Day 11 SWN and Day 10 WALK.
Walk will be challenging this week, DH out of town for some of it and the kids have lots of stuff going on. I hope I can do it with out having to use a pause day!!

FishWoman
12-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Hello, all! I am just going to do another calorie control and exercise challenge this time around (because I am too lazy to think of anything else right now).

So, the parameters are: no more than 1500 calories per day and at least 30 minutes of exercise each day. I figure this is a level 2 challenge.

Marbleflys - you are doing so great after all the trauma your poor body has been through! I assume you can properly fasten your bra now?

PhysDom - your BF lives 3.5 hours away from you? That is true love. :love: Anything over an hour away would have put him in the geographically undesireable category for me!

StageMom - doing good on the no chocolate, no soda! You are totally going to make it to Christmas with your soda challenge:) I had thought about starting a no chocolate, no caffiene challenge and then I went down to the deli and bought a diet coke. As I took my first drink, I'm all "D*mn!" So, back to calories and exercise it is!

marbleflys
12-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Hah, Hah Fish---you must be clairvoyant---I celebrated by wearing a new one I had just bought from Victoria's Secret before my fall

Thanks Apple and everyone else too, for all the encouragement and support. It feels good to join in the challenges even if I'm doing minimal workouts. I have discovered that it is true about muscle memory, it seems to be coming a bit easier every day.

tomorrow I'm going to ortho so we'll see what he says about my PT results. It is a relief to be off the heavy-duty pain meds. They have made a mess of my GI tract and stomach, along with dehydration. My skin is finally looking less muddy and this recurrent eye irritation has cleared too.

Shad
12-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Stop the World - I want to get off!!!!!

It is now a quarter to eight and I am already grumpy. Yesterday I found they (being the 'IT security' people) had taken away a lot of my access to view results from running background programs in the training database. They have also taken away a lot of access from others as well. I had it last week. Gone this week. Maybe it will be back next week - who knows. Now I whinged a bit yesterday afternoon, and I am told today I have access to do it in the UAT database. Oh lovely!! Thank-you so much, how long did it take for you to do that? Why? Well I don't have an account in the UAT database. Thats' @#$%##$$$###$$$## well why.

Yesterday I had a phone interview with the mob from the desert about my next contract. It was quite possibly the worst interview I have ever done. So I am not feeling happy about that. Agent rang last night but I was driving home. I rang back but he was now out. Did I get the job, did I not? Who knows, who cares.

Got home to find DB2 on the doorstep with his list of problems and worries. So now I have some other things to sort out as well. Aaaaaah well the list goes on.

I hope you have all done your Christmas shopping! The crowds in town are bad now, next week they will be horrendous.

In fact I am considering taking a lunch break at 11.00 to go to the Post Office and post these cards and letters. Yes I finally got most of the far away and overseas ones done last night. Tonight should see an end to all but the local cards. I may even combine morning tea and lunch and go very early since I have yet to have breakfast and brought no lunch with me.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting as much lately. I think it is the time of the year when we all get icky and sticky and tempers fray etc. Christmas used to be a time of peace and happiness and serenity. Now all I see is tense, tired faces and tempers rising.

I have done my exercise at the gym and my abs/ crunches and I'm on day 9 of no bread. Up, up and away (pleeeeeeaaaassseee - soon - now would be lovely)

Okay - up, up and away to the thirteenth floor to yell at the tallest man in the building. I have to yell, he is in a different stratosphere. I hope to get back with some personal comments tonight. Let's not bet on it though.