WW Clubs and Groups - 50 or More Pounds #68

View Full Version : 50 or More Pounds #68

texaslady
06-28-2001, 05:09 PM
If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, jump on in and join us! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome!

texaslady
06-28-2001, 05:22 PM
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Thursday! Tomorrow's FRIDAY!!!! And I have a week off coming to me! Whoo Hoo!

Joyce - Glad the home scale is showing a loss. Keep at it now and you should have a wonderful WI this week! Casey is going to have so much fun at this adventure! You can live with *almost* anyone for 2 weeks.:) I do hope you can meet with Saara in August.

Saara - It won't be long now. That's s nice that your American family can go with you to get you settled in Utah. I hope you can get a single room. My dd had a roommate for 3 semesters when she was in college but after that we paid extra for her to have a room to herself. She liked it much better that way.

Jan - Thinking about you. How are you doing today? I forgot to ask if maybe the Tummy Tuck Fairy would visit you during the procedure! Wouldn't that be nice? I know you had mentioned it a while back. Hey, might as well make this surgery REALLY productive!

Carol - Have a great time this week-end. I know that you will. Try to de-stress a bit - you sure deserve some down time.

I went with my dd last night to work on her wedding registry at a local department store. What fun that was! She had this scanner gun and she points it at the bar code and it instantly puts her choice in the computer so wedding guests can access it. Ain't technology wonderful??????? She & fiance had already started the registry list and they finally managed to agree on some china and everyday ware. They will finish it up this week-end. Oh, and the invitations have been ordered and should be here in about 2 weeks. Wow, looks like this thing is really going to take place! Hard to think that four months from today, the wedding will be over. Do you guys remember when it was like 17 months away! Time has flown. I have GOT to go dress shopping for me - have been procrastinating.

Gotta go. Everyone take care. Will check with you later.

Rymsh
06-28-2001, 07:19 PM
Hi everyone! I really should be packing right now- I'm usually so organized! I don't know what my problem is this time!:?:
Texaslady, the kids will be using most of my furniture in the house, some of it to replace what they have. Mine's in better shape than some of theirs, even tho it isn't new, and they hate to buy brand new stuff with 2 dogs and a toddler on board! Besides, that'll save me from having to store. Then, if I move somewhere else besides Florida, one of us will buy new furniture! If I move to Floida from there, I'm already furnished and only want to take a couple of my things. I talked to Janet over the weekend- she's alive and well, but very busy at work right now- long, arduous days. Enjoy the week's vacation following the stress of tomorrow's last day!! Have fun with the crafs and helping dd with her gift registry!
Saara, yup- I'm with you! Everytime I think I really need to start getting stuff together for the move, I look at everything and say "maybe later"!!Have fun this weekend with all your friends!!
Joyce, good for you for turning the gain of last week around! I know you're looking forward to this week's weigh in!
Patti, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's troubles, but glad he did not have a major cardiac episode and that he's recovering. And that your pap was okay!!
Jan, you have been in my thoughts and prayers all week, and I hope you are recovering quickly! What a way to lose those last 7 or 8 pounds though!! :lol:
Ladies, I really must pack- my flight is so early tomorrow :yawn:, and the airport is over an hour from here. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a safe and happy 4th, and I'll "talk" to you when I get back.
Carol

gmalil
06-29-2001, 04:08 PM
Jan is recuperating...hope you aare doing well. Anxious to hear from you.
Carol is traveling. having a great restful time before her big move, no doubt.:)
texaslady in between jobs..must have mixed feelings! Getting things ready for the big day in Oct.! guess that means no time for some rest.

I'm making a small wedding cake, a replica of the original, for a friends's 25 anniv. They are celebrating at a picnic on 4th of July, should be lots of fun...she sent me a pix of the original cake.
And sending Casie off on her trip on Sunday, and that is about all I have planned HoHum:yawn: not real exciting.
WI tomorrow.
:)
Forgot to tell you, at the last meeting, someone was raving about Quakers Crunchy Corn Bran. I tried it and it is pretty good! It is good straight out of the box, as a crunchy snack, and good with milk as well, but it doesn't stay really crispy for a long time in the milk, no dawdling! It is only 1 point for 3/4 cup by itself or 2 points with 1/2 cup milk!!
ALSO...I discovered, at dgd's grad party, that Arrowhead makes *Sparkling* water , I find it quite refreshing...it comes in 16 oz bottles. Easy for me to get my water in with the carbonation!

That's all I know for now!
~~~~
:wave:
JOYce

merri24
06-30-2001, 10:49 AM
Hi Ladies...

Whats been going on?? Well, I have had the hardest time falling asleep this past week - the most I slept was 4 hours, but I think I finally caught up because I got home around 6 last night and fell asleep around 7 and woke up at 9 this morning - crazy!!!

I'm supposed to be going to a waterpark tomorrow so I have to go shopping for a bathing suit - which is the worst seeing i haven't worn shorts in public in a couple years... the nervousness is setting in...

Joyce That cake sounds really neat... How long does it take you to do something like that?? I have no creative abilities what so ever so jealous.....

Saara I hope Utah is what you expect... You'll probably meet all these amazing people....

Well, I better go.... I hope I can stay OP the rest of this week - I've been pretty much off program the past few days - Ugh!!!

Merri24
236/206/140

chamois
06-30-2001, 01:49 PM
Good morning ladies!

I've been busy the past couple of days. I usually save my yearly doctor and dentist checkups for the summer when I am off. I've been running here and there. Spent a couple of days starting to unpack my classroom. I moved to a new room this year and now I have to unpack and arrange my new room the way I want. Lots of work! I spent yesterday with my sister in New Orleans at the library. I try to get in a little family genealogy research during the summer, too.

Right now I am sitting here at the computer wanting to put a clothespin on my nose! My dh is extracting honey from our beehive. He's doing it in the kitchen and it smells "heavenly". Makes me want to EAT!!! I know that just smelling this stuff has got to be costing me WW points! :lol:

Saara - What an exciting time for you! Hope all goes well with your visa. I've never been to Utah but is borders Arizona where I just visited. Beautiful country. I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends.

Merri - Did you find a new bathing suit? I haven't shopped for one for years. Don't think I would want to see myself in one just yet. :( Have fun at the waterpark!

Jan - Hope all is going well with you and you are recuperating.

Carol - Have a great time on your vacation. Rest up so you can come back with the energy to do all that packing! :)

Texaslady - Enjoy your time off. I know you are busy getting ready for the big day! My ds is giving his sweetheart the ring today so I now officially have a daughter-in-law-to-be! The wedding date hasn't been set yet but will probably be end of May or June next year.

JOYce - Thanks for the tip on the crunchy cereal. I am always looking for something good that is low point. I'll try it. Congrats on your weight loss! Losing what you gained the week before and then some is a great motivator! (Just keep those fingers out of the frosting bowl! :s: )

Patti - Hope all is well with your dad. I know it must have been a scary time for you. I just got my pap done, too and now am waiting for the results. I've got to get a mammogram done in a couple of weeks (ugh!) Not expecting any problems but I just don't like having my breasts squished!

:eek:

Hi to all I have missed -- Have a great OP weekend!

Beth:wave:

gmalil
06-30-2001, 03:35 PM
:D It's official!! I lost 6.4 pounds today, which is 2 more than I gained last week! I can't be skipping my meds any more!!

Merri, the cake will probably take me a couple of hours to get it decorated, after I bake it.

I have a MAJOR project ahead of me! The living room desperately needs new carpet and painting......dh does all the painting (he doesn't think I can do it, which is o.k. with me:D) all I have to do is move about 400 dolls out of there :dizzy: !!!
But need to get started on it, I want it done before our tip to Nawlins, because after that the holidays are upon us! guess I will designate the dining room unusable for a couple of weeks and start moving in dolls! Guess I better get with it!!

Drink that water!!
~~~~~~~~~~
JOYce

JanetMae
06-30-2001, 07:01 PM
Hi Ladies!
Well, I made it through just fine (thanks for sending all those good wishes!) and am back home being pampered by dh. (Such a sweetie! You should see the red roses he brought me...). Glad to have the worst part over, anyway! Am doing my 4xday short walks, and go back Tues to get stitches out.

JOYce, whooee, gal, 6.4 pounds! That's some kind of record! You are being an angel on program, I'm sure. Don't forget to cook good stuff for yourself, in addition to all this wedding cake & grad party cooking! You are always doing so much for others.

Texaslady, hope you're enjoying your week off! I'll second Carol, and ask what are all the different kinds of decorations you are doing? Pew decorations? Table centerpieces? That wedding registry bar code reader sounds like fun; wish they'd had that in my day! I'm so glad her fiance is interested in picking out patterns with her; that bodes well for the future! My dh would be into that now, but he wasn't back then, in '73. And yes, the Tummy Tuck fairy did come visit, and left with 3 pounds more (in addition to the other "stuff" removed by the gynecologist.) I haven't weighed yet, but I'm betting this will put me below goal. I might even stop in at a ww meeting on my way back from the appt. Tuesday, just to weigh in and get that status started; isn't it 6 weeks you have to do maintenance before you stop paying? Hope it's not 12.

Beth, funny you should say that about the smell of honey being fattening; I've had thoughts like that cross my mind at times too! How odd! And I definitely won't be buying any of those food-scented candles, like birthday cake; I smelled one in a store recently, and it really did smell just like cake. Hope your pap results are good!

Patti, how is your father doing? I'm so sorry he's having trouble. I know how stressful that must be on all of you. Has he had his walk-in test yet?

Carol, I guess you are in Florida by now! Glad to hear that you'll be stopping by Homosassa; I know my sister will be so glad to meet you! Sounds like a good plan re: the furniture; also, that will make you feel more at home too, while it helps them out as well.

Saara, hope you get a single room! I had lots of fun roommates in my younger years, but even the best were often a distraction. But knowing you, and the wide circle of friends you have, even if you're paired up with someone less than ideal you will still make the best of it. Let us know how it turns out! And you were right re: getting in shape before surgery. My doctors said I had good muscle tone, great bp, and came through just fine. I think a lot of that had to do with losing the 80+ pounds and walking/jogging 3 miles each morning for so long.

Merri, sounds like your jet lag has finally gone away! Hope you have fun at the waterpark this weekend. You know, they make such terrific bathing suits nowadays, I'm sure you'll find one that's flattering.

Guess I'd better get back to my loafing around!! Am surrounded by magazines, paperbacks and tv, and not in much pain, so I'm determined to enjoy this recuperation and take my time about it! Hi to Janet, Rebecca, and anyone I may have missed!

Regards,
Jan

texaslady
06-30-2001, 11:12 PM
Evening, girls!

Jan - I am so glad to hear from you and that you are feeling like you are on the road to recovery! And I am especially glad that this surgery was good for more than the obvious!:D That would be so terrific if it helped you make goal! Be sure to let us know!! Your dh is such a sweet man. I KNOW that he is spoiling you - and you know what, you deserve it! You take care of him and your Dad 24/7. Let him return the favor.

Joyce - WAY TO GO WITH THAT HUGE LOSS!!! I know that makes you feel super good! I like the Quaker bran cereal also. But the first time I tried it I ate two big bowls ful. Well, that huge influx pf bran didn't exactly "agree" with me and I spent a lot of time in the bathroom the next day! So I learned to eat it with moderation! Your living room project sounds like a lot of work! You be sure and let your family help so that you don't overdo.

Patti - How is your Dad doing? I know that you are worried about him. Let us know how his next tests go.

Beth - I didn't realize that your son was getting engaged! Now you are an MOG (Mother of the Groom)! Congratulations. Is this your first child to get married? I have had so much fun with my dd's wedding plans. Since she's an only child, this is my one shot!

Merri - Sounds like your body is getting used to being back in your time zone again. How did the shopping go? I wouldn't even be able to THINK about buying a bathing suit! Its been way too many years since I wore one!

Carol - Hope you are having a great time and are able to de-stress a little!

Saara - You make sure that we don't "lose" you during this move to the States! Be sure to stay in touch. I know you are so anxious to see your American family again. How many years has it been since you were together?

Yesterday was my last day on the job. I am officially unemployed - at least for a week - since this vacation week is "without pay"! It was very sad leaving my friends - we are all crying when I left. Guess everyone thought we were crazy! But you have to move on......

I guess one of the first things I will do this next week is make dd's wedding veil. She wants to have her hair & make-up consult and the lady won't do it until the veil is finished. I also plan to start on the centerpieces. When we first started planning, I was thinking we would only need about 12 tables - then after the guest list was finalized, I realized we would need about 16 tables. The country club had originally told me that they would seat 10 guests to each 60" round table. I got to thinking that would really be kind of "elbow to elbow" so I called the club and they agreed that the tables really would probably seat only 8 people with adequate space to eat. So now we are up to about 20 tables - and I only have purchased decorating supplies for 15 tables. So it's off to the market to see if I can find more of the same cascading Wisteria I bought about 5 months ago. Don't know what I will do if I can't match what we already have! Will have to go to Plan B - and I have no clue what Plan B is!!!

We went to the church today and wrote checks for everyone - minister, organist, wedding coordinator, janitor, sound guy and church donation! Gee - these churches are making major bucks off weddings! I think all together it was about $900 - just for the privilege of using the church that both kids already belong to!!! :eek: Everyone wants a slice of the big fat wedding pie. Then we went to the mall and the kids pretty much finished their registry. They did agree on some crystal - well, actually they didn't really agree - her fiance just "gave in" on the battle (I don't think he really cared all that much one way or the other)!! He really is so easy going - which is a very good thing because my dd certainly is NOT!!!

Well I see I have written a book here tonight. Everyone have a great week-end - or at least what's left of it.

gmalil
07-01-2001, 01:40 AM
so good to hear from you Jan! You sound just great!
I'm so glad that you feel so good. You will be fit as a fiddle by the time we meet in Sept.!!
Can't stay, I have to get up at 3:30 a.m. to take Casie to meet the van that will take her to her plane.:yawn: so better think about going to bed.
~~~~~~~~~
JOYce

Linda Jean
07-01-2001, 03:02 AM
Jan, it is good to hear from you again, and to hear that you are doing so well. I hope that when you WI you do make goal. Maintenance lasts six weeks, not 12. You can do it! :)

JOYce, congrats again on that wonderful loss. You are doing just great--keep it up!

I am now only about five pounds away from being back at goal because I have been staying OP faithfully. Still not back to exercising. My treadmill awaits patiently....

Happy Sunday to all.

saarao
07-02-2001, 02:37 AM
Hi everyone!

Just a quick post... I'm taking the train to Halsinki this morning. I'll visit my Dad shortly, we have to take care of some money matters at his bank. He just got back from vacation in Dublin, Ireland. I'll also visit a few friends who now live in Helsinki, but I have to come back tonight since I'm working tomorrow.

Joyce, congrats on the huge loss!!!

Jan, I'm happy to hear everything went fine.

Texaslady, re: my american family. It was year 1992-93 when I spent the whole year there, but have been back 3 times for a visit. Last time was for Christmas 98. So about 2 1/2 yrs since I've seen them. Won't be long now, though...

well, I'd better go so I won't miss my train. 'Talk' to you all later! Have a great Monday! Saara.

texaslady
07-02-2001, 10:51 AM
Morning, girls! Here I sit at my "home" computer. My mind is on vacation, unfortunately my body got up at 5:30 this am - as usual. I tried to go back to sleep but my overeager neighbor started cutting his lawn about 6:00 - so I just gave up and got up!

Linda - That's wonderful you are doing so well to getting back toward your goal. I KNEW you could do it!

Saara - Have fun with your Dad. Let us hear from you when you get back. It's hard for me to imagine that it's so perectly normal for you to take a train for transportation. That's just not the way it is here, as you know. Not many passenger trains left - not much demand, I guess.

Joyce - Did Casey get off OK - Wow, 3;30 am comes really early! Hope you get a chance to take a nap today!

Jan - How are you feeling today? Don't overdo now.

Well, as soon as I get myself dressed I will be out the door in search of some more tulle. I am determined to make dd's veil today but since she can't really make up her mind how "poofy" she wants it, I guess I will make two veils - each with different "poofy-ness" (is that a word?). She also doesn't want to wear a blusher over her face during the ceremony but does like the look of a double veil from behind - so I need to make one like that too! Wonder what I will do with all the ones she doesn't like????? Good thing tulle is cheap! :lol: Once she decides on the look she wants, I can add the pearls and crystals to the netting. The hardest thing so far has been trying to measure and cut the tulle - it sure is slippery stuff and so hard to see if you are cutting a straight line. I finally got smart and slid a piece of white posterboard under the tulle so I could see what the heck I was doing! It also helped to "pin" the tulle to the board to keep it from "escaping"!

Have a good day everyone. Will check in again later.

chamois
07-03-2001, 10:32 AM
Good morning ladies!

I had my WI yesterday. I lost only .4 lbs. At least it wasn't a gain. I have had the "munchies" all week and have gone over points just about every day. It is also TOM. Got to get myself back on track. We are leaving for Houston on Friday to visit our ds and future dil. DS is also trying to lose weight - he's doing Adkins.

Texaslady - It's good that you have some time off to get the wedding stuff done. Reminds me of my wedding. I made my own dress and also two of the bridesmaid's dresses. I did lots of lace and beadwork. It was fun but a lot of work!

Jan and Linda Jean - Hearing you talk about being at or close to goal gets me fired up! I am determined to get there myself this time!!! I have joined and quit WW more times than I'd like to mention. I just have to do it this time!

Hi to everyone else - Have a great OP day!

Beth

JanetMae
07-03-2001, 01:08 PM
Hi Texaslady! Were you able to find the extra table decorations? Are you getting them at Garden Ridge? Maybe if they're out, they could call their other stores to check; would be glad to pick stuff up here in SA and send to you, if they locate it here. I'll bet the veil will be lovely; you're so talented! Re: that yard guy, seems like he's done this 6 a.m. mowing before; doesn't he have any consideration? Maybe you can find out when he goes to bed, and mow your lawn about 30 min. after that, right below his window. (Ew, I'm an awful person....)

Saara, thanks; hope you enjoyed your visit to Helsinki today! Your Dad takes such interesting trips; I'd love to see Dublin (or any part of Ireland) some day. What's his favorite vacation spot? Are you finding clothes for your trip right now?

Linda, you have made quick progress back toward goal; wow, only five pounds away! Thanks for the info on maint. Not sure if I'll have the energy to go to a mtg after my appointment, but will give it a shot. I miss my morning walks; somehow toddling up and down the hall just doesn't feel the same! ;) But I'm like you, not fond of treadmills.

JOYce, I guess Casie got off okay on her trip; boy, was that early! Did you get in a little nap later on?

Carol, am hoping you are having a lot of fun down in Florida, and that the storms didn't go on all weekend. (When I talked to my ds Saturday, it was very rainy.) She said she would be on the lookout for you at the children's museum; hope y'all were able to connect.

Beth, .4 pounds is great! That's the way to do it, a moderate loss each week; it's more likely to stay off permanently that way, in the long run. You keep at it!

Am still taking it easy and letting dh wait on me. He's getting very creative with the cooking; made a couscous, spring greens, and salmon salad for lunch yesterday, and tacos for dinner. Am trying to stay at lower end of points while recovering, as I'm getting so little exercise. And lots of water, to try to make the water retention and swelling go down. Am heading to the doctor today, hopefully to get the drains out.

Hi to everyone; hope you have a great Tuesday!
Regards,
Jan

gmalil
07-03-2001, 02:37 PM
JAN , don't encourage texaslady to get revenge against her neighbor.:s: I just helped dgd clean up REVENGE for the better part of an hour! Seems that she and her friends did a little TP job on a mutual friend last night....well, after she came home at 11, they all did a MAJOR job on our yard! Probably 20 or 30 rolls all entwined in our oak tree and rose buses, and spelled out "REVENGE" in the middle of our yard.:devil: WHAT A MESS!
She can't believe that she made it all the way thru high school with out it happening, to have it happen now. Our neighbor came over and helped get some out of the oak tree, but some will stay there til it rots! I know a bunch of boys that will see the wrath of dgd!:eek:
I'm glad you are taking it easy and lettig dh wait on you. Good luck at the doctor. I am sure that you will be at goal, whether you check in today or not, don't rush it!

Regarding Ireland, youwill have to go someday! I went first with my MIL, and later with dh, it is beautiful!! We were told that the further south you go, the greener it gets, and we found that to be soooo true!
In Dublin, I tried to take pix of Mc Donalds, because our youngest dd was managing a local one at that time, and the manager almost took my camera away!! NO PIX!!

TEX. We will all be anxious to see pix of the final results! I know the veil will be beautiful. You have a busy week off!

I baked cakes late last night, because it was so hot yesterday, {and today is just as hot!} I have to get them decorated today to take tomorrow to the party.

Happy 4th to all, if I don't make it back!
~~~~~~~~~
JOYce

JanetMae
07-04-2001, 12:09 AM
JOYce, oh no, tp in rosebushes!? What a mess that must be! But I agree, raising two popular and active teens, it is a small miracle that this was the first time. Seriously, though, you are right about revenge; it never works out. I prefer F. Scott Fitzgerald's line, "Living well is the best revenge." Gives me an excuse to pursue the good life, anyway!

Carol, my ds said she got to visit with you for ten minutes or so; glad you could stop by! Did you enjoy the Weeki Watchee Springs? Aren't they incredibly clear?!

Texaslady, how are those decorations coming? Which veil did your dd choose?

Saw the doctor today, who said I'm doing fine, but he didn't want to remove the drains yet. Will probably go up again Friday. (He even offered to come in on the weekend, if they're not ready Friday. I am really impressed with this guy ...) Anyway, was way too tired to wait around for a ww mtg., so may try on Friday.

Anybody know some good movies to rent? (Saara?) We rented Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon yesterday, and it was ok (pretty cinematography & special effects, but I still think Castaway should've won that category.) Weird ending, though. Sure could use some suggestions!

Hi to Janet (where are you??), Linda, Beth, Rebecca, Patti, Merri & Saara! I guess we've lost Kendra and Stamps, but if you're out there, ladies, please stop by and say hi!

Regards,
Jan

gmalil
07-04-2001, 01:16 PM
:lol: I went out to hang our flag, and there were streamers of t.p. that have blown down out of the tree. Too bad they didn't use some red and blue to go with it! :lol:
OH GREAT!! The weatherman just now said we will have thundershowers today! They will wash the stuff out of the tree, but wet T.P. on teh street is not attractive either. :(

Jan ,It sounds to me like you have a terrific doctor. I'm no help on movies, I haven't even seen Castaway! But I want to. We did go see Pearl Harbor last week. dh doesnt think they shold have done the love story part of it. But I thought it was a good combo of war and 'chick flick'. He is such a male chauvinist sometimes!! Bless his little heart!

Casie has called 3 times from N.M., she is having a great time.
Has a roommate who lives with her gma, who told her all the same precautionary things that I told Casie before she left! :lol: imagine that! A boy who went from her school, has become her *special friend*
:love: Oh dear! here we go again!
but sounds like she is enjoying all facets of this opportunity...meeting new people, working in an office 1/2 day...attending college classes...living in the dorms...seeing new sites!

I keep saying that I am going to go clean up my kitchen, guess I better do it, I decorated cakes til midnight last night and went to bed. The kitchen fairies must be on holiday, cuz the mess is still there! Melissa left last night to stay with a friend and go to the beach today, so no slave labor.. :lol:
~~~~~~
Happy 4th!
JOYce

Kudzu
07-05-2001, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone. Just thought I would let you all know that I'm still here. Jan, Carol and Texaslady, thanks for asking about me. It is nice to be missed.

As Carol mentioned in one of her posts, I have been very busy at work. I've been lurking some when I could, but there has been no time for posting...and no time to get online at night.

We are getting ready to go on vacation in a couple of weeks. My mother wanted us to take Krysten somewhere for her 18th birthday...just the three of us...so I have rented a cabin in the mountains for a few days and then we are going to Nashville for four more days. I even got front row tickets to the Grand Ole Opry. I used to love country music, but don't listen to it much now, but I'm excited about the Opry. I think my mother will really enjoy it. She is usually so easy going about everything and just goes with the flow, but this trip she has actually made suggestions of things she would like to do. She is looking forward to the Nashville part of the trip, but I am looking forward to our cabin...and hottub overlooking the valley. We are staying in a different place this time...a nature retreat with a stream running through it. I can't wait! Krysten is a little disappointed that her boyfriend isn't going with us, but I'm looking forward to it just being the three of us. It's been awhile since we did this. Last year I took the kids to the beach and the year before that we went with the man I was dating. I love watching my mother and Krysten together...they giggle and laugh like two little girls and have so much fun together. I guess I should be thankful that they are letting me tag along! :)

I don't have the time...or memory...to respond to everyone but I want to welcome Carol back from her trip and wish Jan a speedy recovery...and Texaslady, good luck on your new job. Oh...and Merri, girl you went to New Orleans to have FUN!! I hate all that happened to y'all. Jan, regarding movies, I have been to see several lately and have also rented some. "Castaway" was good but a little long and a little boring in some parts. I liked "Unbreakable" but the friend I saw it with did not. We had rented "Remember the Titans" four times and I never watched it thinking it would be lame...but it is now one of my favorite movies. One of the best movies I have seen in years is "The Green Mile" with Tom Hanks. It was great!! "Autumn in New York" was a tear-jerker.

I need to run, but I wanted to share some sad news...y'all that know me have heard me speak of one of my best friends who was engaged to the dentist. I got a call yesterday as I was getting ready to leave about 2:00 telling me that I needed to get to his house immediately. My friend had found him dead. He had fallen asleep on the couch watching movies Tuesday night and slept all night on the couch, which I think he often did. When she got there she thought he was asleep and went outside to do yard work. After awhile she tried to wake him but couldn't. His brother said that he had probably been dead for several hours. He was 46 and worked out regularly. He was one of the sweetest, most sincere and caring men I have ever known. They had post-poned their wedding date when my friend's mother got sick last Christmas and had never rescheduled after her mom passed away. I stayed with her last night, but she is in complete shock and is just going through the motions.

I will check in again soon...and try to do better keeping up with everyone. Hi to all....

Janet (Kudzu)

Rymsh
07-05-2001, 08:00 PM
Hi everyone! I'm back, and I had a great time in Florida. We did a LOT of walking, so although I didn't stay 100% op, I hopefully balanced it with the exercise. I meet Jan's sister, as she already told you. She is a lovely person, which I'm sure comes as no surprise to those of you who know Jan! I finally got in that wonderful pool too- loved it, and so did my joints!The flight home was a little choppy, and my drive home from the airport was in a torrential rainstorm with lots of lightening, but other than that, things were great. We got together with my cousins who live about 2 hours from Ocala too, which was nice. But boy, do I have a lot to do now that I'm back home!!
Joyce, I've never tried the Quaker crunchy corn bran- thanks for the info! It's now officially on my shopping list. Congrats on the amazing 6.4 pound loss!!!
Speaking of losses, my dd has now lost 25 lbs and my sil 45! I'm so proud of both of them, and when I move in there in a few weeks it will sure be nice to have company on the WW plan! Makes it so much easier. But I digress...
Merri, did you get to the water park? Isn't having to buy a bathing suit a great incentive?:lol:
Beth, a .4 loss is still a loss- it's a proud accomplishment! That more than a stick of butter off your hips, you know! Congrats on your ds' engagement!! I hope they will have a long, happy life together.
Jan, I'm so glad things went well for you!! It was wonderful meeting your sister- and I was so glad to hear that things went well for you (since I was away from my computer)! How sweet of your dh to pamper you- he's a good man! And you deserve every moment of the pa,pering! Be careful you don't overdo- you'll find you tire more easily for quite a while. Many experts feel it takes 6 months to completely get over the effects of general anesthesia. Let your body tell you what you can do!
Texaslady, how is the week off going? Were you able to find the matching flowers for your extra centerpieces? I'm with Jan on your early A.M. mower!! Get him back at his sleep time!
Linda, congrats on being back near goal! Just think how fast you'll be there if you resume exercising!
Saara, how was the visit to Helsinki with your dad? I hope your visa stuff goes thru with no problem.
Janet, how awful about your friend's fiance!!! She must be devastated, poor thing! Did he have a history of hear problems of any sort? The trip with your mom and Krysten sounds like such fun! I know you'll have a great time- and as we all know, Krysten will survive ithout Tim for the week! "Absence makes the heart grow fonder"!!

Well, ladies, I've run on more than long enough here. Have a good weekend!
Carol :wave:

saarao
07-06-2001, 11:43 AM
3 weeks of work left!!! I can't believe how fast time flies... Well, the visit w/ my Dad went well. He had really enjoyed Dublin.
I got my visa yesterday, and now I'm just waiting to hear about the housing... and everything is pretty much set. Except for the packing part. Well, I decided to take the last days of this month off, since we have a new guy that will replace me, and he really wanted more hours this month, so I gave him one of my shifts. So now the 26th will be my last day. So I'll have 2 weeks off.

The weather has been so nice for the past few weeks, only problem is that it gets a bit too hot at work, since we don't have a/c, we have this little fan, but it doesn't help much.

well, I'd better go, just got off work, and now I want to go for a swim! Saara.

JanetMae
07-06-2001, 12:32 PM
Hi Carol! Sounds like you had a busy but fun time in Florida! So glad you and my sister connected; small world, isn't it? Please pass on "congrats" to your dd and sil for their wonderful losses; what a terrific influence you've been on them! When you move in with them, will you be doing a lot of the cooking, or does your dd or sil like to cook? Thanks for the advice re: taking it easy; I plan to, that's for sure! Can't wait to go back to my morning walks, though, I miss those. Will just take them a bit slower for a while, when I get the ok.

Saara, I'm glad you'll have a little time off before you leave; I'm sure there are a lot of details to attend to, and this way you'll be less rushed and can enjoy the trip more. Glad your visa came through ok! Sounds like you're getting lots of exercise (I envy you and Carol those pools!). Do y'all also use saunas in the summer, or is that a winter thing?

JOYce, thanks, yes, I really am blessed with a good doctor. He has quite an ego, though, and kept calling dh over to admire his work! My other doctor was also impressed, so I guess they really do deserve all those extra credentials they have. It was worth going outside my insurance plan to go to them. (And if anyone has any HMO jokes, bring 'em on; I'm not too happy with mine, booting me out of the hospital 48 hours after major surgery! I have friends who stayed 10 days with this same thing, years ago, which is overkill I know, but two days??!!!) And thanks for the card!

Janet, I am so glad you checked in; was starting to worry. How awful about your friend's fiance; you are such a dear to be there for her, though, and I know you'll help her make it through this. Your trip to the mountains with your dd and mother sounds just lovely; I know you'll have a great time. And thanks so much for the movie rental ideas! Will look for those.

Linda, it looks like your long distance prayers for my dh are working; today, he asked me to help him count his points!! Isn't that great? Thanks so much ... How is your dh?

Looks like I won't get to the city today; still not ready to lose these drains, darn it. So will go to the ww mtg. next Tuesday to try for goal (which, according to my home scale, I've reached).

What is everyone planning for the weekend? Hi to Patti, Liz, Rebecca, Texaslady, Merri and Beth!

Regards,
Jan

texaslady
07-06-2001, 08:45 PM
Hello everyone! Well, last Monday afternoon I lost my telephone service and it was not restored until TODAY - just a little while ago. I figured out something real quick - I really don't need that phone but I seriously missed my modem connection!!! Couldn't even check in to lurk, much less post! Meanwhile, I have a 5 foot deep by 4 foot wide hole in my backyard where they had to dig to reach the buried lines. I am NOT a happy camper! :mad: They will not return until Monday to fill in the hole and replace the grass. I guess it could be worse - the line connection could have been under my deck or under one of my huge star jasmine bushes on the fenceline!

I got some wedding stuff done this week. I have made three veils - each a little different. I bought the PVC pipe for the centerpieces and the pots to hold them. I went to the same place where I bought the wisteria and of course they didn't have the same bushes anymore. I got some that looks sort of close - but its not nearly as pretty. I may ditch them for something else for the extra tables. My dd suggested that we could do the family tables in something else and save the wisteria centerpieces for the guest tables. Will have to wait to see what kind of responses we get so we know how many tables we will have. Decided to cover the PVC pipe holding the wisteria above the tables instead of painting the pipe. I made a white satin "tube" and scrunched it over the PVC pipe and it looks terrific! Much easier to do and a lot less mess than trying to paint the pipes or wrap ribbon around them. We may twist some "pearl" & "gold" beads around them to jazz everything up. Also went with future sil to pick out the tuxes and select gifts for the groomsmen. Picked up the monogramed robes for the Bridesmaids and also mailed off the skirts to the bridesmaids who are out of town. So guess it was a productive week, wedding wise.

Janet - I am so saddened by your friend's loss of her fiance. What a horrible year she has had. That is just WAY TO YOUNG to die! Sometimes its really difficult to try to figure out why someone is taken so young. Your upcoming "Just Us Girls" vacation sounds wonderful! I guess Kristin is getting excited about college, too! They grow up way too fast, don't they?

Jan - Glad you are doing better but I know you are anxious to have the drains out and be able to get about a bit better. Speaking of movies, I rented Space Cowboys the other day. It was really cute!! Let's hear it for the "old guys" - they did pretty well for themselves!

Carol - I thought about you as I saw the weather reports for Florida this past week-end. Looked like it was storming. Glad you had some down time. That is terrific news about your dd and her dh's weight loss. Gosh, that didn't take long at all! They should be very proud of themselves. And what is it with you and return flights????? Snow, ice, thunderstorms, lightening, etc, etc, etc. Never a dull moment!! :D Guess you are busy packing now for your impending move. That's not going to be a heck of a lot of fun. How neat you got to meet Jan's sister!!

Joyce - Really laughed at the TP problems. Boy, did thay bring back memories of both my daughter's high school days and my own! I believe my house was TP'd every week-end one summer when I was about 16. My Dad was NOT amused - and neither were our neighbors. We always went to the beach every week-end and everyone knew it. So the house was a fine target. We would be coming back home on Sunday afternoon and find TP blowing down the street a half mile from the house! Course, I had been know to give as good as I got, too! :s: It was MONTHS before all that stuff finally came out of those big old pecan trees in my parents' yard.

Beth - Guess you are in our fine - and hot - city about now. I know you are enjoying your visit with your son - and I bet you are staying indoors as much as you can!! It's been hot but we still have not hit 100 yet. Last year at this time we had done that several times already. At least the mosquitoes are under control now. They just about carried us away for 2 or 3 weeks after the flooding.

As for my grass mowing neighbor, I think he works nights. He is probably just getting home as he is firing up the lawnmower about 6 AM. So he is probably sleeping when my lawn people come during the day! So I suppose that is some sort of revenge.

Saara - I am so glad you will take a couple weeks off work before you come to the States. That will give you some time to pack and see everyone before leaving. I know you have mixed feelings about the upcoming year. It's exciting, but I know you hate to leave your family and friends. I know it will not be long before you have lots of new friends in Utah.

Well, girls, guess I will go for now. I am just so excited to be able to get back on-line! :)

Linda Jean
07-07-2001, 01:21 AM
Oh, Jan! I practically giggled when you told me that your dh is showing an interest in points counting! Hooray! My dh has done pretty well--he has lost four pounds so far. It is coming off slowly because at first he was like your dh and ate way at the bottom of the range thinking that was the way to do it; when I reminded him that I had lost 40 pounds on WW and that I rarely stayed at the bottom of my range, it got him to thinking, I guess, because that's when the four pounds starting come off. I NEVER ask him if he has counted something (those times when I don't notice his recording anything in his little book) and I never ever say anything when it is obvious that he is eating whatever he wants to, and obviously not counting. He has callouses on his heels from digging them in over lots of stuff, :) and I don't want to annoy him or nag him over this, because if I do, he will give up completely. I try to have low-point snacks (low fat Wheat Thins, low fat Laughing Cow cheese wedges, 2 percent fat cheese wrapped individually (Kraft, I think), low fat turkey salami (6 slices for one point), low point bread (Wonder Light, I think), Breyer's sugar free, fat free ice cream, and so on. I have started cooking lighter and counting the points of a whole casserole, for instance, then breaking it down into points per serving. You can lighten many recipes yourself, as I am sure you already know. I applaud his dedication when he makes good choices and encourage him in every way I can. When the air gets cooler in the evenings (and dryer! We've had thunderstorms here) we have already decided we will begin walking again. Anyway, I have tried to keep it light and fun and have tried also to overlook little slip ups when they do occur. That way I don't think he will feel he is in jail! Blessings on both of you, and on your job of steering him in the right direction.

Carol, welcome home! Congrats to your dd and sil for their weight losses -- and what a good environment that will be for you, too. I am excited for you in this new venture! :)

Janet, my deepest sympathies over your friend's loss of her fiancee. What a terrible blow. I will pray for her comfort throughout this. <HUG> --from me to you, to give to your friend.

gmalil
07-07-2001, 07:27 PM
I din't lose, but a maintain is as good as a loss. :)
Take care..
~~~~
JOYce

Rymsh
07-07-2001, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a good weekend.
Saara, I'm glad the visit with your dad went well. I know your family will really miss you! It looks like everything is really falling into place for you! The 2 weeks off will be good- you'll not only have more time to get things packed and ready, but to spend time with the people who are important to you! I'm so excited for you!
Jan, I relayed your congrats to my dd and her dh! We'll probably share cooking- and not always eat at the same time due to differing work schedules.. I'm figuring I may cook a good bit of the time to help out- making things that can be reheated easily on the "eating in shifts" nights.I'm with you on the HMO stuff- by the time I get the ok for a second opinion on the mammogram nonsense(they already won't send me where I wanted to go), it'll be time for the original 6 month check!:mad: Oh well- sometimes fighting city hall takes more time, effort and funds than I have available! Good for dh for counting his points!!! By the way, I agree with Texaslady- if you haven't seen Space Cowboys, that would be a great one to rent!
Texaslady, I'd go :dizzy: with no phone that long- mainly, as you said, because of not having internet! I almost had a moving catastrophe- dear old Verizon had set up to transfer my phone to dd's house 7/30 like I asked them too- but someone hit the wrong key and they were going to turn off my service at this address on 7/10!!! :eek:I had a "does it strike you that something's wrong with this picture" discussion with them- and hoefully it's straightened out! Re me and return flights- I'm not sure what the deal is there either!! Maybe I'm just supposed to go and stay! :lol:
Linda, congrats to dh on his 4 pound loss!!
Joyce, congrats on the no-gain status on your weigh in! You are right- that's a victory in my book!

We are having a beautiful weekend- sunny, temps in the 80's and not at all humid. DD and I went to Trader Joe's this AM- her first time there. Then I watched the little guy for a few hours at their house this afternoon while they went out. He was in a great mood, and extra fun for grandma today. He really seems to have missed me last week- he wanted to be right by my side today, and was highly upset when I left to come home. Other than that, I'm trying to gradually do some packing and boxing up of stuff. I hate living in chaos and surrounded by boxes, but since I can't possibly do things all at once, that's the way I will have to be for the next few weeks!!
Well, friends, I'd better get going. Have a wonderful Sunday! Talk to you later.
Carol :wave:

JanetMae
07-07-2001, 10:04 PM
Linda, that's so great, that your dh is losing! And how wise of you to keep it low key, and let him do it his way. (My dh is like that too.) Those are great snack ideas; we have some of those things around too, but I'd forgotten about the sandwich meats; dh loves those. So far so good on his journal; he may not finish it every day, but he's at least trying. And he's still asking what the points are for various things, so that's good.

Texaslady, thanks for the movie suggestion; will look for that one. Wow, what a mess the phone co. must have left; that's a huge hole! But like you said, could have been worse. And thank heavens you're back online! Sounds like you got a lot done on your week off; those centerpieces sound lovely. I'd never have thought about using pvc pipe for containers; you are so inventive!

JOYce, way to go on maintaining! You are so right, that is also a victory, especially with the week you've had.

Carol, glad you got to spend time with your little sweetie; won't he be excited when you move in! Sounds like you are really organized with the move; I'm sure it will go very smoothly. Thanks for the movie reco!

Still doing fine here; am anxious to get back to normal, but am enjoying the "forced relaxation" mode too. Am starting to work on lesson plans for next year, and getting excited about my classes. Also can't wait for the ww mtg Tuesday, since I may make goal that night. (Shouldn't predict, though, I might jinx it!)

A neighbor just stopped in with a plate of WW muffins (1 pt) that she made for me; that was so sweet of her. She started ww herself a couple of months ago, and said that seeing me lose weight motivated her to join too. (She's doing quite well.) Made me feel really good! And the muffins are great; will have to get her recipe.

Hi to Janet, Patti, Beth, Saara, Liz, Merri and Rebecca! Everyone having a good weekend?

Regards,
Jan

chamois
07-08-2001, 01:17 AM
Hello Ladies!

We are having a wonderful visit with our ds and future dil. They make such a wonderful couple and I know they will have a good life together.

Unfortunately we are having too good of a time going out to eat. :( Texaslady, I am sure you are probably familiar with Mamacitas. One of my favorite Mexican restaurants in Houston. We went to Zios tonight (Italian). I am still journaling everything I am eating but I know I am eating TOO MUCH! :devil:

Jan - Space Cowboys is a great movie! We also recently saw Frequency. It's the kind of movie that keeps you guessing about what might happen next. You said you are getting lesson plans ready for next year. What will you be teaching? It's hard to believe that school will be starting again soon. When I get back home, I have to start getting my classroom ready. We have a teacher's "Share Fair" on August 7th and our classrooms are used for the sessions. I will be doing two presentations and I need to get those ready, too. :dizzy:

Carol - Sounds like you had a great time on your trip and that you are glad to be back with your "precious one". It's great that your dd and sil are doing WW! I know there will be many changes for you when you move in with them but at least you don't have to change your "eating" lifestyle.

Janet - So sorry to hear about your friend's fiance. And to think that they postponed the wedding probably thinking they had lots of time together. We just never know when God will call us home. I truly believe, though, that those we love are never apart from us.

JOYce - I can relate to your TP story. We have lots of VERY tall pine trees at our house and during my younger ds's senior year someone hit those with LOTS of TP. We had no choice but to live with the "added yard deco" until nature got rid of it for us. Good thing we live out in the country and not many people pass our house.

Hi to all I have missed. Have a great OP weekend!

Beth

Linda Jean
07-08-2001, 03:34 PM
Jan,, I am so glad that your dh is interested in knowing what points value different foods have, and that is great that he is doing some journalling. Terrific! That is so encouraging, isn't it! I am excited for you, looking forward to your next WI--good luck, and many happy weeks of maintenance to you!

I am so stuck on a plateau. Still within 5 pounds of goal, but for the past week the scale hasn't budged. I told JOYce after church this morning that I absolutely refuse to cave; I know that there is something wrong somewhere (and I am guessing it is my lack of exercise that is doing it). Dh and I have made a huge, earth-shaking decision: Tonight when it cools off, we are going to walk around the block. And now that I have typed that, we'd better really do it.... :) This is really small potatoes to those of you who exercise regularly (and naturallly so), but we tend toward couch potatoness! It is so easy to just sit here and read, compute and watch HGTV together. Since is is cooling off, dh is starting back with yard work tomorrow, and that is my signal to get moving, myself.

texaslady
07-09-2001, 10:04 PM
Good evening, girls!

Well, I made it through my first day at the new job! The day absolutely flew! Course I was busy trying to absorb everything being thrown at me. Fortunately, I do understand the process but just need to learn their computer system and all the other steps needed to get a job done. I was so busy I never even got a chance to nibble on the pretzels I brought for my mid afternoon snack or to pour up the diet soda I also brought. I like only having 30 mins for lunch. By the time you throw together a sandwich or heat up a frozen dinner and eat it, its time to go back to work. At the last place, we always wound up sitting around for 30 mins after we finished eating - nibbling on cookies, chips, or WHATEVER! I know things will eventually not be quite so hectic, but I can tell right now that this is a BIG JOB - there will be no lack of things to so. Because we take a short lunch, I can leave at 4:00 and get ahead of most of the really bad traffic. Today I was home before I would have even left my other job! :D

Jan & Linda - I am thrilled that your respective dh's are giving the plan a try. After all, look at the role models they have in their wives! Its not like they don't know WW works! Jan, I have my fingers crossed for your WI. We will all do the Happy Dance for you!

Beth - Glad you are enjoying the city. But you are right, this is a deadly place for good Mexican food! And there are so many points in most of it! Fortunately (or unfortunately!) for me, I have a real problem with dairy so I don't have too hard a time skipping Mexican food in general. It's not worth the hassel it puts me through when I eat cheese!:lol: Now when it comes to Chinese food - I'm sunk! I know some of it can be very low in points but that's not the dishes I like so much!

Carol - I know you dread moving! When I was still married & ex-dh was in the Army, we moved so often that I really started to "long" for a move every few years or so. (Of course, it was a little easier when movers would come in and pack everything up and put it in boxes and on a truck. Course, there was always the unpacking.) But somehow I loved the excitement of a move. Guess I was just young and dumb. But for years after he retired and we divorced, I would get the "moving bug" every 3 years or so. Course that has now COMPLETELY gone away and I shudder at the thought of moving again .

Joyce - Good for you for maintaining. There is victory in small steps, too, you know.

DD came by after work to try on the veils I made last week. She decided she wanted to see how they looked with her dress so we wrestled it out of the bag and she put it on. I forgot how gorgeous it is! Was a real challenge trying to stuff it back in the dress bag, however.

Gotta go for now girls. Looks like I won't have the luxury of posting and reading from work anymore. I will have to rely on my home computer now. By the way, guess what hole is STILL STANDING in my backyard and was NOT re-filled today? Bet you can't guess!:mad:

chamois
07-09-2001, 11:27 PM
Hello Ladies!

I'm back home now from Houston. I love going off for a while but it sure feels nice being back home and in my own bed. I did OK for breakfast and lunch but we ate out every night. I still journaled everything I ate no matter the number of points. Keeps me aware of what I am doing and how bad I would be doing every day if I wasn't on program. I usually weigh in on Mondays but missed tonight. I will find out Wednesday what "damage" I have done. :o

While in Houston, we went to the movies to see AI. Has anyone seen it yet? A bit weird but interesting. Haven't decided yet if I liked it or not.

Got to get off - dh is fussing because he wants some computer time, too.

Beth

JanetMae
07-10-2001, 12:04 PM
Hi ladies!
Looks like we've reached a second page, so will start #69; see you there!
Jan