Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #1  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Arrow Celeriac - Delicious Potato Alternative!

If you like the flavor of celery, you’ll love celeriac! It makes a good substitute for mashed potatoes. It is more similar to mashed potatoes in texture than mashed cauliflower, in my opinion.

Celeriac originated in southern Europe, and was introduced here in the 18th century. It contains only 30 calories per 4oz and is a good source of fiber and potassium. It is available late September to April. Celeriac looks like a rough, creamy brown turnip with white flesh. The surface browns when cut, so dip in lemon juice to prevent this (you can omit this step if you don’t mind it browning a little). Cut into 1” chunks and boil or steam for about 20 minutes until soft, then mash with salt, pepper & a tablespoon butter or margarine (I used Smart Balance Buttery Spread). I find using an imersion blender gives it a nice smooth texture. One celeriac root is enough for 2 or 3 servings.

I really enjoy celeriac served with fish.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #2  
Egy Kis Lany

Oooh! I will have to try this the next time I go to the store.
I've been trying to slowly get rid of the 'not so good' foods that I have, like potatoes and regular pasta and white rice, and replace them with some better alternatives (rutabegas and whole wheat/multigrain pasta/brown rice).
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #3  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I'm glad you're going to try Celeriac - I hope you'll like it. I'll have to remember to get it more often. It's so creamy tasting and mashes up nice and smooth. Celeriac is a good lower-carb veggie to have in place of potatoes occasionally.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote